Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Good post Slingerz.

Counihan definitely should have started phasing a few fellas out sooner but I still think that the players that have gone could still contribute off the bench or definitely in Sheehan's case, starting.

I reckon we wouldn't have as many retiring with Denis Cleary appointed.

Midfield is looking very light now, Alan gone, Pearce gone and even Canty played there a fair bit last season.
    Midfield is thread bare,with walsh playing hurling also.

Andrew o sullivan will be found out.
    Ian maguire,vaughan, are two real real talents with big futures,maguire is like Aoc,big and strong however akin to others can kick the ball.Very young u21 again ,needs to be peristed with.

Kevin canty hasnt the fight for the middle,saw him in a half desolate thurles ,last year against tipp in interemdiate hurling final,awful work rate in the forwards.Eoin keane ,has neither the strength or skills to survive.

Fintan gould is tremendously atheltic,great hands,can kick well,great engine and midfield or half back is hes best option.However years of playing as a scoring forward have drained every ounce of belief and confidence he had,as he was awfully peristed with for four years do a job clearly coudnt do up front,and then thrown in at lions den at half back against donegal in 2012 ,and then when it went pearshaped he was wrongly not played again their after just one game.

He was very poor against clyda,out perferormed by fitzgerald,who is a fine club player but nothing special.That game concerned me a lot.

Hes been around the panel now so hes familar with the scence so i wouldnt give him a full run of games to prove himself,if he has temperament(thats my only concern with him)a few games ,away from cork should tell a lot.

That is why i was on about Aoc retirment also ,Will cuthbhert replace him ,he has to ,to be honest.

Also what strikes me about the make up of the panel,he hasnt added any good corner backs ,bar possibly cronin,we have an abundance of half backs yet sheehan is added ,midfield is woefully inadequate ,and he adds hayes to a forward line that has even without sheehan ,strength in depth with hurley,collins,Doc,goulding,o neill,mac eoin,hodnett ,kerrigan ,o driscoll ,john o rourke and maybe kelly ,but a lot depends on the operation.

Hayes left before as he wasnt starting.What is to say that hayes is better than the above,all are younger and had far less chances than hayes who had seven years to make it and were all much better at underage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Who will retire next? Donnacha o Connor?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭slingerz

Chris Donovan is the only other alternative I can see for midfield and even then he may struggle with the pace but he'd certainly add serious aggression to the side

• Registered Users Posts: 29 kilmac14

ya thinkstomuch1 I would agree with you on a few of those players and as far as I know, Michael O Laoire may be added to the training panel at some stage, he just couldnt give Cuthbert a straight answer when he was asked about joining the training panel, AFAIK.

Regarding John Hayes, I think this is where we may differ slightly in views. Anytime I have seen Hayes play he always receives direct ball into him quickly so he can take on his man and score. Now under Counihan, with all the lateral handpass and the inability to kick pass the ball, it negated Hayes's effectiveness. Now I have long been a critic of Daniel Goulding (bar the All Ireland in 2010) he hasnt really done it for Cork in big games. For long periods he doesnt work hard enough to win back possession and can seem disinterested at times. Now going back to John Hayes, what is wrong with Cuthbert looking at him, and as I've said before, if he fits into Cuthbert's plans then so be it.

It's not really practical to judge and man on a training panel to be honest, when he can add and drop names off the panel right up until he has to name a panel for the championship. While you might not agree with his selections, I do have it on good authority though that the likes of O Laoire and a few other will be invited to train with the panel in the coming weeks aswell.

As for asking why John Cleary wasnt giving the job. My source (who is very friendly with a number of people from his home club Castlehaven) have told me that Cleary was approached for the job but declined the job this time due to the fact that he has been with the u21's either as a selector or manager for the past 10 years and wanted a break to spend more time with his family.

So as far as I'm concerned I wont be judging Cuthbert until after the first NFL game

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

I don't think you can use the retirements to criticize Cuthbert. It was time for those players to either move on or else become panel players. If you had a JBM type figure taking over the footballers, the lads that retired might not have been given the choice. They could have been omitted from the panel like Gardner, Cusack and O Halpin. So, all in all, this might have been the most diplomatic way for Cuthbert to move a few of the older players on.

I wonder what role Aidan Walsh will play next year. With dual commitments, Walsh won't always be available to the footballers in terms of working out tactics in training and so on. This may mean a move for Walsh from midfield to centre forward or even full forward. At least tactics wouldn't be anywhere near as important if Walsh was happy to play full forward. He certainly did well in 2012 in the league under Counihan at full forward. The possibilities are endless in terms of tactics, game plans and player deployment. I think there is still a place for a bit of brawn at intercounty level, but maybe not in the early stages of games. AOC could have be very successful as a midfield replacement around the 50 minute mark. Christy Touhy had this role in 2012 when Donegal won, and Dublin still had Bastick to come into midfield when they needed a bit of muscle this year. I think teams will have to be a lot more flexible and adaptable in the future. Last year for instance Down had a thrilling open attacking game with Derry and 3 weeks later set up an incredibly defensive blanket against Donegal. It's a bit extreme but it's no harm to be able to mix it up. Dublin were able to go defensive and cynical against Mayo in the final when they needed to close out the game.

• Advertisement

kilmac14 wrote: »
    ya thinkstomuch1 I would agree with you on a few of those players and as far as I know, Michael O Laoire may be added to the training panel at some stage, he just couldnt give Cuthbert a straight answer when he was asked about joining the training panel, AFAIK.

Regarding John Hayes, I think this is where we may differ slightly in views. Anytime I have seen Hayes play he always receives direct ball into him quickly so he can take on his man and score. Now under Counihan, with all the lateral handpass and the inability to kick pass the ball, it negated Hayes's effectiveness. Now I have long been a critic of Daniel Goulding (bar the All Ireland in 2010) he hasnt really done it for Cork in big games. For long periods he doesnt work hard enough to win back possession and can seem disinterested at times. Now going back to John Hayes, what is wrong with Cuthbert looking at him, and as I've said before, if he fits into Cuthbert's plans then so be it.

It's not really practical to judge and man on a training panel to be honest, when he can add and drop names off the panel right up until he has to name a panel for the championship. While you might not agree with his selections, I do have it on good authority though that the likes of O Laoire and a few other will be invited to train with the panel in the coming weeks aswell.

As for asking why John Cleary wasnt giving the job. My source (who is very friendly with a number of people from his home club Castlehaven) have told me that Cleary was approached for the job but declined the job this time due to the fact that he has been with the u21's either as a selector or manager for the past 10 years and wanted a break to spend more time with his family.

So as far as I'm concerned I wont be judging Cuthbert until after the first NFL game

Fair enough about Laoire-i hope he is called up.
    I cant understand why you say some arent called up but maybee later.It makes no sense if true.All other munster counties bar kerry are started with training and have named the strongest squads availble.I heard deane wasnt picked and bantry aint too happy and undestandably so.He was bantrys and cork junior standout player this year ,and a great u21.

Limerick have a panel about 50,had two trials already and more planned.Tippeary have kerry and ex waterford hurling man pat flanagan , top coach training their u21 team i believe.Do not be suprised to see him with the senior set up down the line.Unlike mcgeeney(greatly over hyped ) with the hurlers,thats a good addition if it bears fruit.

I saw the clare footballers train in ul tonight,podge collins father was on the line, deloze strength and conditiong and paudi kissane.

I have never doubted paudi love and commitment and drive,playing munster final sunday, training a intercounty team tuesday.I never doubted hes dedication.

He ,and it was just the ist coaching session i saw,has the makings of a top coach.Possibly cork coach at underage down the line.He has good communication with the county board as was a GDA , so their is no reason he would be opposed.

Was the main man for at least 45 minutes ,was really doing some great drills.Intensity and pace was very good,and it was all about movement and not being static.

Very vocal,but composed ,looked very assured.Only one session i saw,but he will be a majior benefit to them.
    Deloze then took them for bout 3o minutes working on power ,speed,strength.It looked impressive.
    They looked a small enough squad bout 30 ,if that from what i saw,but they looked they were buying in to what was being coached.I will watch them with interest this year and wish them the best.Be interesting to see how paudi works with them.He didnt look out of place in hes new role.
    I think he will be a superb coach.

Every county in munster ,i dont know about waterford looks like they will improve on next year.In truth cork shouldnt fall outside the top two,however it shows why we must hit the ground running.

Goulding ,you have raised fair points ,but he has been injured and got no ball under counihan.He has the talent ,and has both feet,needs quick ball.Kerrigan would fall in to your caterorgy,must step up ,now or never,must do a lot lot more.

Hayes ,you raised points under counihan i agree with.However under morgan,hayes didnt set the world alight,and considering their was oniy him and masters as two main men,he did get p5enty of ball back then.A good club player ,fine against limerick ,kildare down the pairc etc,but him against kerry with young or marc o se hopping of him,he doesnt look like to me he has the toughness,that x factor,to go from a club player to a inter county player that you can win the all ireland with.

Reminds me of mark o sullivan,duhallow ,newmarket ,99,, a sweet striker of the ball with as natural techinque as a kerry man,lovely feet,great balance,great hands ,BUT lacked the temperament,that edge to really perform in big days.

But if you were picking a club team in the morning ,him and hayes would be the ist forwards on the list.Forwards that win you all irelands,sadly no.
    I would love to be proven wrong by hayes.

In regards cleary,yes he at the start was ruled out,but what i was told he was availble in the end.The board had it at tied in votes for him or cuthbhert.So then it went to a casting vote ,and cuthbhert was always going to win.

He definetly ruled himself back in,as the haven delegate maguire wasnt happy at the county board meeting he was overlooked and raised to why he was.

When you play a game of football their are four main factors in that seventy minutes.

Theirs your team ,the opposition,the referee and the ball.

When a training panel is picked it is a statement of intent to a point as you gauge the type of players the coach is going to play and the shape and direction of your team.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,143 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/convicted-hurler-held-grudge-for-25-years-249994.html
    Convicted hurler held grudge for 25 years

Tuesday, November 19, 2013
    A grudge held for 25 years by a hurler over being denied a place in a North Cork final which led to him attacking a man last year was described by a judge as a moment of madness in an otherwise blemish-free life.

“I believe he will never be in court again, and he has suffered as a result of his mistake,” Judge Olann Kelleher said as he gave William Higgins, who is now 53, the benefit of a dismissal under the Probation of Offenders Act.

Higgins was convicted a month ago for of assaulting publican and former Kildorrery selector, Tom Walsh, and his wife, Noreen, after a drawn junior hurling final on Oct 21 last year at Páirc Uí Rinn.

Judge Kelleher described the assault on Ms Walsh as technical in nature, in that the defendant brushed past her when trying to get at her husband.

Defence solicitor Kieran O’Keefe said the defendant had put in writing his views on the matter at this stage. He accepted the decision of the judge to convict him of the assaults a month ago and was sorry for the incident.

Judge Kelleher said: “This was really quite bizarre, that a man would hold a grudge for 25 years against a man he believed was instrumental in him not playing in a county final. It was a moment of madness in an otherwise blemish-free life.”

During the trial in October, it emerged the injured party said he did not have anything to do with what Higgins blamed him for 25 years ago. Higgins was sent off in a match in 1988 and, as a result, faced a suspension that would put him out of contention for a final place.

Higgins testified at Cork District Court: “I was told by Tom Walsh in his pub that if I went to apologise to the ref I would be able to play in the final. When I went down, the ref knew nothing about it. I more or less hung myself by going down. We won the North Cork and I didn’t even get a medal for it.”

Ms Walsh said she and her husband were walking down the passage in front of the stand in Pairc Uí Rinn when Higgins shouldered her and punched her husband in the stomach, jaw, and neck and walked away. Mr Walsh said the incident was a factor in his decision to retire as a publican.

Higgins admitted assaulting Tom Walsh, but denied ever having any direct contact with Ms Walsh.

Higgins testified in the trial: “As I passed Mrs Walsh I shouldered Thomas Walsh. He said: ‘Hey, hey, you bollocks, come back you bollocks. [Another man] came between us. I hit Mr Walsh on the jaw knocking him backwards.”

Judge Kelleher said there was no logic to what the defendant did: Pleading not guilty to the assault on Thomas Walsh and then coming to court to testify that he did assault him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭peepee

Thinkstoomuch

I think its totally unfair to be continually repeating criticisms of these guys to make your point against Cuthbert. TBH it appears like you're only interested in being proven right as you like pointing out time and time again. Did you ever play to any level? If you did you'd appreciate that constructive criticism is welcomed by most players but what you are doing is simply unfair.
    Kevin canty,Eoin keane are hardly gifted.John mcloughlin is poor
    eoin keane,kevin o driscoll,alan sheehan,andrew o sullivan,john mcloughlin etc,does not inspire me
    I saw john mcloughlin last year in the league and he was exposed ,also against glanworth wed night he was taken to the cleaners by pierre o driscoll.
    john mcloughlin and eoin keane made it is beyound me. These are all good club players,very good on good days but not up to intercounty

peepee wrote: »
    Thinkstoomuch

I think its totally unfair to be continually repeating criticisms of these guys to make your point against Cuthbert. TBH it appears like you're only interested in being proven right as you like pointing out time and time again. Did you ever play to any level? If you did you'd appreciate that constructive criticism is welcomed by most players but what you are doing is simply unfair.
    yes i have played the game,and know quite well players accept critiscim as part of the game.It the abuse ,verbal and personal that annoys them.
    Judging by your history of posts ,you don't really add much to gaa posts bar make criticisim of other posts with the greatest of respects without actually giving a view on the subject.

In case you didnt know this is cork gaa discussion forum,i give views on cork gaa,and what my view as many other posters do in every other thread,is state what they view a players credentials to a team.
    I simply post purely on gaa,nothing personal like other poster do on threads.

Im a simply pointing out why these players aint good enough in my opinion and i wouldnt be alone in cork in saying that,in playing senior county.I would suggest you go down to cork a club game,mention those names and you would get the same as me,fine club players ,not intercounty.

You must not like Brian cody either?dropped charile carter who would walk on any team.Cody thought he wasnt what he wanted.Tell a kilkenny man ,Cody is unfair.They will laugh.He is the greatest hurling manager that ever graced the game ,as he makes hard calls.

As much as you would love to think gaa is personal,it is not.Nothing personal when i make an opinion of a player.
    I said these are good club players ,not up to intercounty.What do you think the media do?

I take it you havent been to many cork club games.If you have you will know those guys arent good enough at intercounty.

I would appreciate seen as you have such strong views ,why all of the players i mentioned are not good enough for cork,that you can give me games to prove me otherwise and you notiably forgot to mention players that i mentioned are better than them,people agreed with.

If you can do so ,and i see you are correct i will admit im wrong.
    If you ever were at a Gaa game,you would know the appalling verbal abusue players get,please dont and have the common courtsey not to put me in that caterorgy.That abuse is ,i would agree not constructive.

I am not those types of fans.I give straight views and back up my view on players as i actually go to quite a lot of games.
    If your on about players being criticised simply on the field of play,i would say you will be a busy man objecting ,as on every single thread their is posters just like me.

DRAFT ALLIANZ HURLING LEAGUE FIXTURES 2014 2013-11-20 07:33:00
    Provisional 2014 National Hurling League fixtures
    (subject to agreement with counties and venues to be decided - should be finalised next week)

Division 1B
    Round 1 - Feb 15: Cork v Limerick; Feb 16: Antrim v Wexford, Offaly v Laois.
    Round 2 - Feb 22: Laois v Cork; Feb 23: Wexford v Offaly, Limerick v Antrim.
    Round 3 - Mar 9: Cork v Offaly, Laois v Antrim, Limerick v Wexford.
    Round 4 - Mar 16: Wexford v Laois, Antrim v Cork, Offaly v Limerick.
    Round 5 - Mar 23: Laois v Limerick, Cork v Wexford, Offaly v Antrim.

Previously published draft Football League Fixtures are as follows:
    Saturday February 1st: Dublin v Kerry; Derry v Tyrone.
    Sunday February 2nd: Cork v Westmeath; Kildare v Mayo.
    Sunday February 9th: Cork v Kildare; Kerry v Derry; Tyrone v Mayo; Westmeath v Dublin.
    Saturday March 1st: Dublin v Cork.
    Sunday March 2nd: Derry v Westmeath; Kildare v Tyrone; Mayo v Kerry.
    Friday March 7th: Dublin v Kildare.
    Sunday March 9th: Cork v Derry; Kerry v Tyrone; Westmeath v Mayo.
    Sunday March 16th: Derry v Dublin; Kildare v Kerry; Mayo v Cork; Tyrone v Westmeath.
    Saturday March 29th: Dublin v Mayo.
    Sunday March 30th: Cork v Tyrone; Derry v Kildare; Westmeath v Kerry.
    Sunday April 6th: Kerry v Cork; Kildare v Westmeath; Mayo v Derry; Tyrone v Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭lukin

DRAFT ALLIANZ HURLING LEAGUE FIXTURES 2014 2013-11-20 07:33:00
    Provisional 2014 National Hurling League fixtures
    (subject to agreement with counties and venues to be decided - should be finalised next week)

Division 1B
    Round 1 - Feb 15: Cork v Limerick; Feb 16: Antrim v Wexford, Offaly v Laois.
    Round 2 - Feb 22: Laois v Cork; Feb 23: Wexford v Offaly, Limerick v Antrim.
    Round 3 - Mar 9: Cork v Offaly, Laois v Antrim, Limerick v Wexford.
    Round 4 - Mar 16: Wexford v Laois, Antrim v Cork, Offaly v Limerick.
    Round 5 - Mar 23: Laois v Limerick, Cork v Wexford, Offaly v Antrim.

Previously published draft Football League Fixtures are as follows:
    Saturday February 1st: Dublin v Kerry; Derry v Tyrone.
    Sunday February 2nd: Cork v Westmeath; Kildare v Mayo.
    Sunday February 9th: Cork v Kildare; Kerry v Derry; Tyrone v Mayo; Westmeath v Dublin.
    Saturday March 1st: Dublin v Cork.
    Sunday March 2nd: Derry v Westmeath; Kildare v Tyrone; Mayo v Kerry.
    Friday March 7th: Dublin v Kildare.
    Sunday March 9th: Cork v Derry; Kerry v Tyrone; Westmeath v Mayo.
    Sunday March 16th: Derry v Dublin; Kildare v Kerry; Mayo v Cork; Tyrone v Westmeath.
    Saturday March 29th: Dublin v Mayo.
    Sunday March 30th: Cork v Tyrone; Derry v Kildare; Westmeath v Kerry.
    Sunday April 6th: Kerry v Cork; Kildare v Westmeath; Mayo v Derry; Tyrone v Dublin.

Nice. Only two away trips for the hurlers; Laois and Antrim. Portlaoise is only and hour and a half up the road so it is really only Antrim that is the long trip.

If that list is finalised while from a fans and boards view,limerick,offaly and wexford at home is good,with the greatest respect to offaly and wexford it is hard to see cork learning much from these games at home.

Be much ,more benefical to us to have to go to tullamore or wexford,traditonally tough places for cork and earn a win that what we will face down the pairc.

Their would be big wexford and offaly crowds their to really test our young players.

Laois and antrim ,wont test us in the away trips.Both have fine,managers ,but are really only starting to make their mark with the team.

Limerick got three away game,we got two.

The shorter gain looks cork have done well and offaly and wexford at home wont draw a huge crowd,but will be more than laois and antrim,but i don't see any great test to cork bar limerick.

We will enter the q finals even if beaten by limerick and we wont be really tested.

Theirs a huge difference in playing wexford and offaly in wexford and tullamore than cork.

Thats my worry of the league next year.
    Last year when we drew 2,lost two ,we learned a lot.
    Its very likely we will win four games at least and not learn a whole lot,as offaly,laois,antrim are in transition,wexford slighty ahead.

And the timing of the limerick game wont suit either of us in the long run.Both teams in heavy training,not really sure if the focus and fitness is up to scratch.

Playing in a third or fourth round match would suit them,as preparations be advanced and you learn a lot more.

Case in point,cork blew tipp away ,ist game,as tipp were no where near their best.

A false dawn for cork , tipp get to a league final,we get relegated.If i was cork and limerick,id push for the game to be played in March.

lukin wrote: »
    Nice. Only two away trips for the hurlers; Laois and Antrim. Portlaoise is only and hour and a half up the road so it is really only Antrim that is the long trip.

Absoultey a handy drive bar antrim ,a ten hour round trip at least.

Handy for the fans,and the board will be happy all three of traditonally big teams come to cork.It is not great for developing players though.

Waterford on the other hand will have five tough games to battle hardened them for May and win,loose or draw will learn a lot more about themselves.
    I just hope who we meet in the q final is seriously up for it and hasnt decided to taper off ,after five hard games,as we need a big ,big test in the quaterfinal.

We should be aiming to make the final,as we wont be really tested in div2,,and we cant go undercooked against waterford.

To loose a semifinal isnt so bad.But to loose a first round in munster its a hard rocky road ahead.

Only the 9th and 16th march is their both hurling and football clashes.

More than likely walsh will given to the hurling against offaly as wont be needed as much with derry at home but the 16th he will go football as he is badly needed up in castlebar against the o sheas .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭lukin

This has worked out really well in both codes; the footballers have only two away trips as well; Mayo and Kerry. I hope to get to all home games in both and one away trip.

lukin wrote: »
    This has worked out really well in both codes; the footballers have only two away trips as well; Mayo and Kerry. I hope to get to all home games in both and one away trip.
    Season tickets are on sale already.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

What do ye make of John Corcoran's statement at last night's County Board meeting?
    For somebody from Carlow to be lecturing Cork on hurling is akin to Jedward telling Pavarotti how to sing.

Fair neck on him IMO.

http://www.livegaelic.com/craic/arrogant-quote-year/

keane2097 wrote: »
    What do ye make of John Corcoran's statement at last night's County Board meeting?

Fair neck on him IMO.

http://www.livegaelic.com/craic/arrogant-quote-year/
    Posted on the league thread already about it.He forgot john meyler ,cork coaches their.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Posted on the league thread already about it.He forgot john meyler ,cork coaches their.

Ah right, apologies - haven't been following that thread, I'll skip over there.

I don't think relegation to division 1B is the end of the world for Cork this year. I'm sure JBM will look to strenghten the panel of players he has, bring new players into a few key positions and will probably take it easy enough during the early stages of the league. I'm sure JBM would be more than happy with a league final against Limerick and then a quarter final spot. There will be enough tough games for Cork towards the end of the league if all goes well. Limerick, Offaly and Wexford are great games to have at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

If the post on the Munster GAA website is correct -it is with great pride in my Alma Mater that I can give the result:

Hamilton High School 2-15 DLS Waterford 0-8 - A resounding win and passage to the 1/4 finals for the Hammies!!!

Other results:

Chareville 1-13 Youghal 1-10

Nenagh CBS 0-14 Dungarvan 0-9

Rochestown 1-9 Midleton CBS 0-9

If the post on the Munster GAA website is correct -it is with great pride in my Alma Mater that I can give the result:

Hamilton High School 2-15 DLS Waterford 0-8 - A resounding win and passage to the 1/4 finals for the Hammies!!!

Other results:

Chareville 1-13 Youghal 1-10

Nenagh CBS 0-14 Dungarvan 0-9

Rochestown 1-9 Midleton CBS 0-9

Sound lad

Thats superb , a great day for cork schools as it means hamilton have qualifed and chareville also,and rochestown have a game to play yet ,have chance if they beat blackwater.

It will be hard to see them get out of the group now,after that loss.

I would presume michael cahalane and trevor horgan got a fair share of scores.
    Two super talents for Cork.

Superb for bandon,who were in a hard group,and not given any chance.Crowley is doing splendid work their.All the same,you cant beat good coaching.Their a fine team,immense credit to them.

All eyes on saturday,dean ryan should be a huge game.Talking to limerick people last night,they said midelton be huge favourites due to winning the u15 before.
    I would say too close to call,ard scoil if any be favourites.

About four of the lads were training with the limerick minors in an A Vb game last night under Eammon Cregan.A few other 16 year olds were trialing out .About 45,in total ,aproxatemely i believe are in trials at the moment.Cork were training last wednesday and the weekend.The draw is tommorrow night.

Barry nash im sure was their.Super talent for limerick.A good game,very easy to see why limerick won munster last year ,and will be very strong their year,the standard was excellent last night.

Saturdays game was called of last week.It suited midelton as they played a county league final also u16 the same day.

Saturdays game should be a very good game and win or loose both teams deserve great credit for getting that far.

Im nt sure ,but i was told limerick 95 are doing the game for those that can't make it.Whether they are remains to be seen.

I remember they done a harty cup a while back,when they were in the final,and provided excellent coverage ,credit due.

Munster Minor Hurling Draw tonight in Castletroy.

Cant wait.April won't be long coming.Everyone i talk today knows about the draw,which is unsual for minors,but their is a real sense of excitment for tonight.

Interestingly Mark dolan got a goal for Rochestown yesterday and Daniel meaney was meant to have been impressive,along with ollie dempsey,getting a goal in the Munster intermediate final at just 17,sunday ,Cork lads are on form,which is good to see.

The competition up front is very strong,no gurantee who will make the cut.Training is meticilous,well planned,real intensity and a structure ,and cohivesness that has been missing for years.

Niall cashman was terrific ,and is in some form,playing well for the footballers two weeks ago,against facthnas ,and also for blackrock u21s,and is in a county final sunday against midelton.Overage for the minors.Mark o connor,aron ward,also their with rochestown ,overage for the minors.

Midelton have a bad week,u16 league final,sunday against the bridge,and yesterday.Lets hope thats it.
    And saturday brings a change in fortune.

Their seems to be a lot of talk about Cork playing a fast direct game next year,cuthbhert spoke on news talk yesterday.
    Welcome to hear.I listened to it.Credit due ,He spoke also about how football is a simple game,and you dont overcomplicate it.

On that interview alone,top top marks.Huge confidence,cork could win the all ireland.As he has the right talk anyway.
    That was good to hear,he recogonised our forwards lacked good clean fast ball.

However ,what makes me extremely nervous ,is hes words are unparell with hes actions,he has complicated things himself,by picking an abundance of forwards and half backs ,without focusing on any real real depth in the full back line(lets hope cadogan and jamie sul do not get injured),and midfield,and picking players ,that have been tried and found out at intercounty,and be doing what must be remebered(for those who think im harsh)the most inexpierenced management team at intercounty at present among the top 8.!

Some one said here Aidan walsh should be tried at full forward or Centre forward again.Has anything at all been learned in the failures of past mistakes.Walsh was tried in a donaghy role,and failed,at best broke even in a few league games.Championship,he did nothing noteworthy up their.

DONAGHY was never given the appreciation he deserved,some cork fans thought he was a one trick pony.

Far from it,he is an all rounder with superb football skills.Walsh ,can improve hes skills,but not to the level of a forward.

Clearly he was woefully exposed at Centre forward against Galway and Dublin.He was a fish out of water.I remember in croke park,cork fans sick to their stomach of a great player being made look poor .

The school of thought that as he is a dual player,centre forward or full would lessen hes tactiaal pressures,is just contracditory in fairness .He would have to learn the role as a centre forward or full forward in football,unlike hurling where the role is completely different ,he has played their for kanturk ,cit ,and cork u 21 in hurling.

Huge pressure their to learn that in football.

He won two all stars as a midfielder and young player of the year.Tactially what does he have to learn?

He has to develop hes basic kickpassing but that is easier worked on at midfield if he is complimentded in the middle with a gould,deane,laoire type of player etc .than centre forward where he is under immense pressure to create ,and full forward where he his under immense pressure to score.

Kerry would be smiling,our best and only top quaility proven midfielder,boxed in at full forward,where in hes abscence would not get any ball at midfield is just born out madness.And that is no dissrespect geuinely to the poster,but it defies logic.Walsh hasnt the skill set for any forward position in the current game.

And why in the name of jesus we would play walsh,ahead of hurley,goulding,mac eoin,hodnett,even barry o driscoll,colm o neill ,all strong ball winning forwards well capable of winning their own ball but also able to score .

Also at a time that Cork are looking for a midfielder to partner walsh,you suddenly make it ten times worse,and look for a second midfielder,when we dont need to.

Walsh ,form the last two years has dropped due to being asked do jobs he clearly cant do.Its cruel and awful to make an all star midfielder that if given time,could be corks closest player to jack o shea.Also when cork are going to have to blood a new midfielder,is it not better to blood him with an all star twice,expierenced player than blood two new guys together that could be torn to shreds by the o sheas for example of mayo.?
    Would you see Eammon ryan play Juliet murphy full forward or Centre forward..No,plain and simple.She is the greatest midfielder ever ,but not the skillset for full foward.

Common sense must apply.
    Look at kerry and dublin, they go for creativity ,link play,the ability to make a moment of magic,Gooch and ciaran kilkenny ,at Centre forward.
    We go with Walsh,played in a position akin to hes faboulous talents,that are not utilsed here.We may never have as good a player as walsh again,we owe the guy to play in hes best position at midfield at the very least.

Sure mark collins,hodnett ,kelly if fit ,o rourke etc are wasting their time so.All better centre forwards .

Before people say walsh is a full forward or centre forward ,i would say consider that ,forwards ,espiceally now as dublin showed,win games.Mayo proved ,that also,they lacked another top forward,and they had more ball winners than guys that could score naturally.

Sheehan is incaluable loss to cork,as he had athlectism,power,pace ,you name it he had it.However we can still field a top quailty six,natural forwards.To pick walsh,another top player ,warms he's arse on the bench as walsh takes he's place.

Also to consider cork are already very very thin at midfield ,with the panel named,we must now add another midfielder.

Kanturk have never even played walsh anyhere else than midfield in football.At the latter stages of hes career,when he looses the yard of pace,the one aera he will play for club and possibly cork is center back.

He has or never will be a forward.Has the talent to win more all stars for cork at midfield.He doesnt have to do much,the manager has just got to play him at 8 or 9.It is that simple.No need to overcomplicate it.

Speaking of walsh,he has a temporary job with the county board,coaching north cork schools hurling and football for the next few weeks.Has been in the Patrician Academy Mallow doing some very good work,already I hear.

I wouldn't be in favour of playing Aidan Walsh at centre forward or full forward, but it's certainly an option. Walsh was good at full forward in the league in 2012, although I'm not sure why Counihan tried Walsh out at full forward if he had no intention of doing that in the championship last year. Walsh also played at wing forward in the munster final against Kerry and his blistering runs forward had a huge impact, even if he didn't always score.

I only suggested that Walsh could line out at full forward or wing forward/centre forward. I would prefer Walsh at midfield. I just feel that because he has elected to become a dual player, Cuthbert will have to find ways to accommodate Walsh. As far as I know it's impossible logistically to attend group sessions in both codes. At some stage both Cutbhert and JBM will have to decide when it's most necessary for Walsh to show up at one training session or the other. And, what about the weekends when Cork play either the same day or on a Saturday in one discipline and on a Sunday in another discipline. Also, special treatment for one player can have an impact on the dressing room. Some one of the lads will pipe up at some stage and say 'well if he can miss the odd session, so can I'. Eoin Cadogan has found it difficult in the past. My point essentially with Walsh is that it's going to be impossible to serve two masters and ultimately one or the other will suffer as a result.

Minor hurling draw done

Kerry at home ist round then a semifinal to limerick away or tipp at home.

I certainly would not fear that draw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

Im fed up of talkstoo much harping on brian Cuthbert, just relax and come back and talk about it this time next year.to be honest not many of the players you mention strike me as having that bit extra for inter county stuff but we will wait and see.many were part of minor and u21 teams that looked promising but failed to deliver soit was either they are not up to it or they were badly managed.at this stage it looks like we are number 3 in munster at minor and u21 level-dont read too much into beating kerry they often improved alot more as the season went on.

keep going wrote: »
    Im fed up of talkstoo much harping on brian Cuthbert, just relax and come back and talk about it this time next year.to be honest not many of the players you mention strike me as having that bit extra for inter county stuff but we will wait and see.many were part of minor and u21 teams that looked promising but failed to deliver soit was either they are not up to it or they were badly managed.at this stage it looks like we are number 3 in munster at minor and u21 level-dont read too much into beating kerry they often improved alot more as the season went on.
    A great post attack my post,but you cant add anything of signifance to the discussion,like who you think should start and your views on the set up.All you have said their is heresay,Can u be more specfic please.

It was clear as day like i said in may ,cuthbhert had the cork job,you said cleary was a shoe in.
    Of course your spot on.

You strike me ,as the sort that never gives view but as soon as they loose you would be the first to criticise.I have raised valid concerns that many cork people feel the same.
    No 3 in minor and u21 level?are you serious ?

Could you please enlighten me with what you mean ?
    What would be your cork team.?and what players did i name that you dont are good enough ,and who would you have instead.

• Advertisement

keep going wrote: »
    It begs the question , is it that they have no faith in the new management or that the management have told them they have no future but on the face of it does seem to be correct decision s

Only up to two weeks ago,you didnt seem too confident in the current management set up with that question.

Youre like the wind,changing direction depending on the day.

I have stated my concerns,i dont change from day to day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement