Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

What to fcuk are literal skills?? And its You're, I don't actually own the position ;)

A bit like Sean Og and all your other little heros your really starting to bore me know and seing that you still refuse to answer anything and the best you could do was drag up a post from 3 months ago I have very little choice but to add you to the ignore list :(

Let it be..... can i just say as a GAA fan, yourself and thinkstoomuch1 are excellent and informative posters on here and both of yous are very knowledgeable people who know alot about the game. I for one rate both of you very highly with gaa knowledge and hate to see the two of yous disagreeing like this. Hope both of you can forget about this present disagreement you are having and i look forward to seeing both of you here discussing and analysing GAA topics together again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Amprodude wrote: »
    Let it be..... can i just say as a GAA fan, yourself and thinkstoomuch1 are excellent and informative posters on here and both of yous are very knowledgeable people who know alot about the game. I for one rate both of you very highly with gaa knowledge and hate to see the two of yous disagreeing like this. Hope both of you can forget about this present disagreement you are having and i look forward to seeing both of you here discussing and analysing GAA topics together again.

Appreciate the post and yes I agree yesterday got abit out of hand and I was to blame for alot of it, don't know if I am that knowledgable tbh just have a serious passion for all things GAA and get a bit carried away!

Will make abit more of an effort not to get into confrontations in the future, its strange cos usuually those kind of squabbles explode in the height of the summer when we have a few new posters etc but its all forgotten now time to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Hopefully a good game in fermoy today,
    Rochestown cbs v Blackwater

Going to this game,it hard to go for rochestown,and hard not to go for them.Its like being stuck between a rock and a hard place,im not from either school,rochestown or midelton,(a neutral)if rochestown win its at the expense of midelton in the harty q final on 15 th janauary.
    Likewise if they loose midelton go through unless its by 25 points.Midelton have a fine season,dean ryan cup ,and harty,it only came unstuck when loosing a close game to rochestown.
    They lost the Cork colledges final friday night,and with 14 men never gave up.Im not sure with 15, they won have the game anway,it just seemed it was going to be hamiltions hour.
    The last two games shouldnt take away what a great young side they are,and always with young lads,every team will have the bad days,but these lads have more good days than bad ,and are a credit to the school,most have played from u 14 up with the school.

Midelton have ian cahill,seadnaid smith,mark o keeofe (another fine young centre back prospect)mccarthy,jake o donoughe,dan landers,eoghan kinery and john looey from dean ryan fame,among others that on any given day could beat anyone ,even Ard scoil.

Midelton were unlucky to loose by a point in last year qUater final,so if they got their again,they would have a great chance,as thexm have a lot expierence from last year panel which would stand to them,more expierenced in that regard.

Rochestown,on the other side,its very hard not to feel for them if they loose today.

Niall cashman(outstanding all year for the school,captian rockies minor teanm and superb in the county u21 final is a superb centre back or wing back,hes club man daniel meaney,with douglas trio,mark o connor,mark dolan,aron ward , kieran kingston son also playing,all extremely talented players such like all above have played for cork intercounty.

They on their day,particulary a dry day a match for anyone .
    Either or ,whateter happens today ,lets hope that we will have another cork team in the q final to join chareville,and hamilton in the q final,so if rochestown loose lets hope its not by 25 points(unlikely) or then blackwater go through.

It will be interesting game ,and how blackwater take to it,will the team have the intensity and hunger ,as a win alone unless its huge wont get them to a q final,where a draw or a win ,will have huge hunger for rochestown.

Whatever happens as a cork man I will feel a bit for blackwater also ,as denis ring their principal,pa cronin -amy o shea ,are all cork people their in the school and im sure in the future their will be more cork links and shane o brien their corner back a cork minor.(great to see him back playing after hes injury).
    The Harty cup is really a magical competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Rochestown hammering Blackwater.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭malascoile

Colmans lost to Flannans by 7

• Advertisement

malascoile wrote: »
    Colmans lost to Flannans by 7

Harty cup q final draw 8.30 tommorrow.

3 corks teams in it.

Rochestown won 5-18 to 1-13 or around that,and through to the quater finals with charville,hamilton and also thurles,dungarvan,doon ,and ard scoil.Im not sure of the 8th??.
    Its great for them,mainly the rockies and douglas lads and the talent both clubs and work being done at schools pays off.
    I feel for midelton,going for a quater final 3 years in a row,and after the narrow loss the last day in the harty,got no chance to redeem themselves,today was out of their control.

A few of these lads will be gone next year,but the future is bright.

I had wondered which blackwater team would show and their intensity,as they knew they had little chance of q final.Today ,from the start,it showed,blackwater didnt have any appetite at all,its very hard for young lads when they have nothing to play for.Rochestown on the other hand started well,and the early goals really had game over by 25 minutes.

A great score,confidence wise for rochestown,however it would be naive to read too much in to day ,as in truth,they had the freedom of the park ,and blackwater while havent fired all year are no where near as bad as today.They got to the q final last year.

Job done for rochestown,and they took the goals when they had the chance,but thewn wont get that freedom in the quaterfinal against doon ,ard scoil etc.

I would say if they get a dry day ,they are a light team ,but very fast ,skilful tappy hurlers,they will test teams.Mark dolan,ward,o connor all can get big scores.I hope the weather on the 15th januray is like today.A wet day ,won't suit them.
    They have loads of hurling,old style cork,move ball at pabje,fast hands,and pace all over the field.
    Cant do that ,if studs are stuck to the ground.

From what I saw of Ard scoil in their ist game ,i actually think they would suit rochestown if they got them.They play a fast open game,all their game is pure hurling.

Today ,cashman was imperious,( under high ball,a chip of the old block,like jim)a long crisp delivery.

Meaney,kingston,are fine players.
    Connolly I think,the goalies looked very good.Cork will never be short keepers.I feel for any cork lad trying to make it as a keeper,so much ,competiton.Just cause you dont make it ,doesnt mean you are not good enough,with so many others there.

Ward and o connor got great goals.
    Kingston won a load of ball at midfield.

Draw is tommorrow night. 8.30 in limerick and Ard scoil and Dungarvan and doon are the big guns.

Out of the three cork teams,Hamilton might be seen as our best chance,but the other two wont be pushovers.

The big worry id have is Michael cahalane being burned out or injured.Hes loss is incaluable to hamilton,need to mind him.

This week alone,a lot of games hes played,last friday hurling,this friday I think hes playing football for hamilton,and last night played a half for bandon in a senior football league final.
    3 games in a week.

Cork hurling at schools is getting better,not that long ago,our teams were being beaten out the gate.
    3 times in the q final,all good.Be great if we had one in the final.

None of the group winners can play each other again but teams from both counties could meet as like last year ,Ard Scoil v Doon and dungarvan and blackwater.

I hope all corks teams avoid one another ,be nothing worse to see two teams ,going against one another ,with only winner.

Hopefully doon will get ard scoil ,one of them will knock one another out.

A big sea of change from last year with only midelton their,now we have 3,the most representation,tippeary and limerick two and waterford one.

Templemore last years finalists are team ,are in the draw.Colin riordain ,is with them at midfield,some player to catch ball in the air.Brian mcgrath is with them at centre back.Still midelton ran to them to a point,but they beat ard scoil last year.
    Im not sure of they have many others from last year.

The corn u mhuriri draw is on also,with Macroom,chriost ri and st facthnas in the mix .

The Sparrow gone from newtown.
    Its the best scenario I think.He wont have difficulty finding another club,a good record with Adare.

Liam ryan in charge.Hes a local,and hurling to the bone.Great appointment,and I think its the first step ,in healing the rift on both sides down their.A popular choice.

Nothing has been confirmed with the o connors,but id say they will play next year.
    The selectors are to be finalised yet.

I wouldnt be suprised to see ,one of the mulchays involved and finbarr reidy the junior manager,a very popular figure within newtown.

The village,it may take time,but id say they will unite again.A great day for Newtown ,and Cork Hurling,Cork hurling needs Newtown to be competitve.

Harty cup quater final draw

AHamiltion v dungarvan
    B Ard scoil v templemore(repeat last years semi final that went to a replay,and marys won)
    CRochestown v thurles
    D Chareville v doon

Semifinal AvB and CvD

Hamilton have the short straw ,beat the winners last year then either last year finalist or Ard scoil again,extremely strong.

Im not sure of thurles but roceshtown they dont seem to have as daunting task as others.

Chareville and doon be a local derby,probably venue be Bruff.d
    Doon are strong,and tipped to go far.

• Advertisement

Division 1A Clare,Dublin,Galway,Kilkenny,Tippeary,Waterford

Divison 1B Antrim,Cork,Laois,Limerick,Offaly,Wexford

Leauge quater finals
    A.First placed Divison 1A v Fourth placed Division 1B

B.Second Division 1A V Third Division 1B

C.Third Division 1A v Second Division 1B

D.Fourth Division 1A v First Division IB

Quater-finals to be on a home and away basis,with home venue decided as follows

If a team has had two home games in the regular season draws a team who has had three home games in the regular season
    then they get home advantage.
    If the teams have played the same amount of games at home ,then they will toss for home venue

League semi finals

A V D
    B VC

Relegation

One team will drop from div 1A to 1B,with the the bottom two teams in the top flight playing off.

In Division 1b,the bottom two teams will also play off,with the loser then the meeting the division 2 winner to determine if they drop down.

The quater -final formula will be used to determine the home venue.

Fixtures:

February 15 Cork v Limerick 7pm

February 2 Laois V Cork 7pm

March 9 Cork v offaly 2.30

March 16 Antrim v cork 2 pm
    March 23 cork v wexford

March 30 league quater-final

April 20 League semi-finals
    May 4 League Final

Their is only team promoted from div 1b,and in all probrablity the winner takes all clash is in the very 1st game ,it means that the 15th is a huge game ,but if cork loose it is kind of dead rubber the other games as cork will get to the q finals as,the other games,are no test with respect at home,but you could win the league and not get promoted.
    (bit farcial)

Cork Must treat the game in 8 weeks as championship and train to that level ,as they have enough time to drop down the level and then back for may and waterford.

The worry is Walsh and paudie sullivan wont have any hurling in time for that game,cork have no recognoised full back.

And in a wet heavy february,limerick physicality have the advantage,cork wont be able to play the speed game,in that weather.

Also the waterford crystal ,not taking part,i said then,and reaffirm now with the view it is a dissaster,no lead up games at all.

Cork with the training bans, arent allowed train as soon as limerick collectively as unlike limerick we played til october,compared to august and limerick having a new manager have an exception they can train as a team with new players.

A few concerns going forward,some we had no control over but I do hope they renter the waterford crystal.

What we do have is home advantage and thats a big help,and portumana v na piarsaigh will help us ,if the limerick lads pick up injuries,howerever the flip side is downes,breen,dowling come in to the game in febuary much fitter and in flying form for our game.

They can be no holding back in training.The game on the 15th is a Must win and. Will surely to bring a huge crowd from both teams to the Pairc,probably the only league game in the league rounds likely to do that.

Corn u mhuiri quater finals

Macroon v kilorgin
    Chriost ri v dingle
    St facthnas v sceilge

Rory Deane Munster Junior footballer of the year.
    Darragh Egan Munster interemdiate hurler of the year.Just realised he never made the senior panel.The potential to be as good as Nash.
    Sean Crowley ,new killeagh hurling coach.
    Pj murphy Eirns own coach.

Sars v Na piarsaigh tommorrow ShL final.

Sarsfields are without Eoin quigley,Eanna Martin and Conor Sullivan.

Their is only team promoted from div 1b,and in all probrablity the winner takes all clash is in the very 1st game ,it means that the 15th is a huge game ,but if cork loose it is kind of dead rubber the other games as cork will get to the q finals as,the other games,are no test with respect at home,but you could win the league and not get promoted.
    (bit farcial)

Cork Must treat the game in 8 weeks as championship and train to that level ,as they have enough time to drop down the level and then back for may and waterford.

I'm not so sure Id be as dismissive as that of Laois, Wexford and Offaly thinkstoomuch, obviously all thing been equal Cork are on a different level, but if they were as you suggest to drop down a level in their intensity training wise they would be very vunrable to all three of these - Laois remember gave Galway a major scare in the championship last year, Wexford drew with both Dublin and Clare and Offally showed enough against both Kilkenny and Waterford to suggest they will be no pushovers either.

Obviously the smart money will be on one of Limerick or Cork to prevail but I wouldn't be at all suprised to see at least one of them slip up against one of those three, particuarly if they take their eye off the ball.

Darragh Egan Munster interemdiate hurler of the year.Just realised he never made the senior panel.The potential to be as good as Nash.

He will be on it alright he has been put on a personalised training programme with a target weight and level of fitness to reach before he offifiacly joins the panel, was speaking to him Wednesday night and he is well on track, agree re. the potential, super keeper.

Last big game of the Hurling year tonight.

Na piarsaigh v sarsfields.
    It is only a league final in name,but when you look within,its a huge game ,in terms of finainical incentive for clubs,but the fact sars are used to winning and wont want to loose two finals in a row ,and also Na piarsaigh builing for the future,and the win be good for them.

Quigley,martin,conor sullivan all could be out.
    Some good tussles lined up,.

Michael cussen club full forward of the year against Darren Mannix club corner back of the year(he played all year at full ,and thats where he won the award,but patrick o mahony was facilated at 3)

Tonight is,i would say the first real test cussen has at club all year.Up against a natural,no nonense full back,who is very good under the high ball,huge expierence,and wont stand off anyone ,and brings aggression to he's play.

In hes peak ,Mannix would have rattled cork teams but for Rock.
    This will be interesting to watch.
    He now lacks the pace for Intercounty ,but the man he's marking is not blessed with pace either.

Cian maccarthy,very good and strong in the air is an ideal test for Joyce,(joyce has been crticised under the high ball,as the only weakeness cian has,hes mobilty wont be exposed ,here,compared to against a fast team,in a dry croke park.

Its uncertain if Gardiner ,starts at full forward.If not ,he will start at centre back.Lacking pace,wont be exposed by Cian,well able to break even,if not dominate,the high ball.
    However,Cian mac is just as good,with high ball,and thats hes biggest strength.

Sean og,i expect to have a big game.Again pace wont be a problem tonight,and hes well able for tadhg o Murphy,or Fraggie,but he may be closer to goal such is hes poachness and goal abiltity.

Na piarsaigh are tight at the back,mannix,moyinhan,in the full back are line fairly solid.

Sars have the edge at midfield with Kearney sure to pop in a few points.Macgregor wont do the same,but still puts in a solid shift.

Pa rourke ,ian mcdonnell ,should all be able to win ball.Mcdonnell could play full forward if ,gardiner doesnt.He and joe barry should be interesting.The match winner if Na piarsaigh are to do is Padraig Gould.
    This guy is class,and he is still injured but two goals ,should been 3(dissallowed)against newtown,goal against midelton,he could if he gets quailty ball ,do damage,if conor sullivan is out.

Ray ryan ,a fine club hurler may move to half back ,and that will help sars,as gould has too much pace.
    The problem is sarsfields dont have any real cover.Rob driscoll is doubtful up front also,a goal poacher.

The injuries to Sars and the hunger of Na piarsaigh and the freshness of them,may edge it for them,however such is gardiner and Gould injuries,theres no guarantee they will last a full game,and as proved in the county loss to Midelton ,take those two out ,and their a massive loss to the team
    .A hard game to call,Sars are the favourites,I wouldnt be suprised if Na piarsaigh win.

Match ups are crucial,Mannix is the only man for cussen in the full back line,if gardiner is centreback,i can not imagine , Cussen. would not get much of him or sean og who will bring an aggression and physicality that cussen doesnt have,if cussen moves out to the half forward line.

If sars want to win,they will need fraggie to pick of the breaks at corner forward and score.
    He is more than well capable of doing it.A super player,greatly underestimated with Cork.Work rate alone is second to none.

Gunning,and Paudraig guest may well see game time for Na piarsaigh.

Could be good game,if both teams treat it seriousrly.Thank god tonight is the last game ,as its been a long hard season for most.

John cremin ,New St finbarrs Hurling coach.
    Won county hurling and football and munster medals with them.Won all ireland title also.Played u21 football for cork.

As far as im aware still holds the record in college hurling for scoring 1-21 in a league match years ago with CIT.
    Christy ryan,involved also again.

Interesting appointments the last few days in Killeagh(crowley GDA,but a young coach with potential)
    Glen(have ian lynham back)
    Netwtown have liam ryan (coached Meelin to avdondu league, then county,munster and all ireland junior title in 2011,)playing a running game.

Was involved with Newtown as a selector before,and great expierence having worked under Ger Cunnigham ul ,and also with Cian O Neill and phil Noonan and also Bertie o Connor.
    Would also have seen coaches who failed at newtown ,and the style of play they played that is not in their DNA.He has first hand knowlege what works and does not with the club.

Young coach also .It will be interesting to see who is brought in as trainer.Crucial appointment as fitness and speed is crucial to the way they play .I would expect a strong appointment.

Make no mistake about it,its back to the running game again for newtown.They will be a force again.

Draws for the county next Saturday.
    Should be the most competitve county in years next year.

Na piarsaigh won the Senior league 20 to 2-9 against sars.
    I had said I wouldnt be suprised they would win,and could very well win,as the hunger and freshness of sars understanably may not be as good as na piarsaigh,and a lot depenended on Gould and gardiner being fit.
    Thats exactly how it materalised.
    Gardiner started full forward,with injury not fit to play half back ,but able to do a job at full forward,and played a captains part .

He with Padraig gould,who was outstanding led from the front.Gould is hampered by injury,but if he gets a clear run,is capable of the cork panel.Loads of hurling,excellent temperament and work ethic,tough abrasive and will win the dirty ball,and very fast.Sars without conor sullivan had no one to mark him.

Gardiner is a credit,role model .
    Injured all year,he was no way going to sit it out.Hes drive and energy ,is what made the spirit in the comeback,6 down at half time,to score 13 points to 2 in the second half.

Another great warrior of club and county led from the back.Sean og was imperious,superb,heroic ,you name it.I said today ,he had a big game in him.I just knew it.

He is that type of player.The pace tonight was slow compared to croke park,and the legs may be gone,but by god has he two super hands,great reading and superb under the aeria ball.He doesnt score much,but when he does you take notice (waterford in the 2012 league comeback,then in the championship and clare in 2005) tonight was the same,a vital point when the team needed it the most.

Hes hunger and will to win is ravenous.Heroic tonight.
    Half back unit in general ,with macgregor,joyce and him dominated ,and Mannix as always superb at full back.Cussen didnt start,fraggie did,but tried hard,but got little ball.

Kearney was superb for sars and done all he could.

Macgregor won a load of ball at half back and then in the second half around midfield ,he grew in to it.Always puts a solid shift in.

Rourke done hes bit,with buckley at half forward,and a back by nature,got a few tasty points.

Ciam mac,was as good I knew he could be in this game, and had joyce in trouble and got a few nice scores,but joyce grew in to it and stuck to hes task well as the game wore on in the second half.

Eoin moyinhan was top man for na piarsaigh ,took over the frees from Mcdonnell who didnt start and he was good in open play and flawless from placed ball.
    He is normally at Corner back mainly,moved to midfield tonight,showed he has plenty of hurling.The amount of versailite,top quaity hurling corner backs in Cork is unreal.

A great win for Na piarsaigh.The loss of martin ,quigley at half back and connor sullivan at corner were huge setbacks for Sars,and they after a long season getting to two finals,understandably ,were not as fresh.

A good game ,and a good finale to whats been a long hurling year ,and now a well earned rest for all those involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭slingerz

Simcox Semi Finals on this week with Rochestown playing Colaiste Choilm and DLS Macroom playing St Colmans

Rochestown v DLS final I'd say

Anyone going to the Aghallbouge Grenagh game that could post a report,score etc,it would be great.
    I cant make it today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭zetecescort

County Intermediate Football Final (1st half,18 min) Aghabullogue 0-1 Grenagh 0-3

County Intermediate Football Final (1st half,26 min) Aghabullogue 0-3 Grenagh 0-4

County Intermediate Football Final (2nd half,48 min) Aghabullogue 0-5 Grenagh 0-9 #CorkGAA13

County Intermediate Football Final (2nd half,57 min) Aghabullogue 0-5 Grenagh 0-11

Looks like Grenagh have done the double, delighted for Tom Kenny.

County Intermediate Football Final (2nd half,57 min) Aghabullogue 0-5 Grenagh 0-11

Looks like Grenagh have done the double, delighted for Tom Kenny.

Thanks very much for your updates today lad.

Great to see kenny get hes two medals.

It will be interesting to see what he decides intercounty wise.Id say he will retire.A great player,should have got an all star and a pure gentleman.

I just think with the speed of the game now ,and the expierence the young lads got last year,the time is right to retire.
    A gifted footballer too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,882 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Delighted for Kenny,great result for the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭AidanD12

A perfect end to an almost perfect year for us all in Grenagh. Still in shock that the lads managed to hold it together for 14 championship matches this year. I think there are 12 or 13 of the starting players on both the hurling and football and its a huge achievement for such a small parish and will live long in the memory.

AidanD12 wrote: »
    A perfect end to an almost perfect year for us all in Grenagh. Still in shock that the lads managed to hold it together for 14 championship matches this year. I think there are 12 or 13 of the starting players on both the hurling and football and its a huge achievement for such a small parish and will live long in the memory.

Congrats....a truly fairytale year for Grenagh.For such a small parish it is some achievement.Been some year for the Small clubs all round.

Ye really are a family club,with dorgans,kennys,russells ec.

Anyone driving the N20 to cork,every time they pass the junction for Grenagh,and then a little bit on Clyda,should be in awe ,and celebration for what these two small clubs achieved.They really have put the bigger towns and clubs to shame.
    I bet ,everyone in the parish,was involved in one way or another in the win.

The future is bright for Grenagh.

Delighted for Tom.
    You would feel for Aghabolluge but if they keep at it their day will come.And they have a good manager in Cathal Cronin.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭AidanD12

Thanks thinkstoomuch1
    Ya it epitomises everything that is so good about our great sport. That sense of common purpose, community spirit and the grass root involvement at all levels. The team visited the primary school today and you could just see the pride and joy a bit of success evokes. It only seems like yesterday I remember Tom as a 4/5 year old at matches, hurl in hand, with his dad. To see the 2 of them celebrating the success last night after so many tough days over the years would do ones heart good. He's a pure gent and a credit to the gaa.

Was tough on a young Aghabullogue team after taking a few big scalps along the way to the final but they were gracious in defeat. There were 7 of our team that lost in the junior county final to Aghabullogue in 2004 still playing yesterday so you could just sense the hunger for victory. Roll on 2014 !

• Advertisement

AidanD12 wrote: »
    Thanks thinkstoomuch1
    Ya it epitomises everything that is so good about our great sport. That sense of common purpose, community spirit and the grass root involvement at all levels. The team visited the primary school today and you could just see the pride and joy a bit of success evokes. It only seems like yesterday I remember Tom as a 4/5 year old at matches, hurl in hand, with his dad. To see the 2 of them celebrating the success last night after so many tough days over the years would do ones heart good. He's a pure gent and a credit to the gaa.

Was tough on a young Aghabullogue team after taking a few big scalps along the way to the final but they were gracious in defeat. There were 7 of our team that lost in the junior county final to Aghabullogue in 2004 still playing yesterday so you could just sense the hunger for victory. Roll on 2014 !
    Absoultey, great to see everyone is part of it ,young and old,all for one,and one for all in Grenagh,led by the Great musakeeter himself.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement