Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

First game of the year and the weather + LIT were cat!

UL match will provide a better test. I hope to make it....Mallow again?
    Hopefully it would make sense and is neutral and get a bigger crowd.
    Hallorahon be the no 1 goalkeeper but ,hanaharan and pryce will battle for the second spot.

I wouldnt have Masters anywhere near that team,to talk about performances from 2006,sure Masters was never the same player the last few years,that year away from GAA did him no favours,saw him a few times since and hes a shadow of that player of old.

If O Neill is back fully fit for the Championship Hayes wont be on that panel anyway,but for the League i'd still keep him around.

I totally agree ,but my point is I would take master over hayes 7 days a week.
    He was just as good as hayes was for club this year.
    Hayes shouldnt be on the panel if he can not make it in championship.We can't carry passengers,we have enough problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭corkrobinhood

And i'd have Hayes over Masters anyday,especially on what i've seen the last few years.

Going by that so,saying Hayes shouldnt be on the panel if he cant make it in the Championship,that would rule out another 1 or 2 of the new lads yesterday,because the the likes of Galvin would be nowhere near Championship standard either.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

K O'Halloran, E Cadogan, M Shields, A Walsh, F Gould, P Kerrigan, D O'Connor the back bone of the team? J Loughrey will be another lad who will be a leader on the team.

I just had a look at the ul team that played yesterday.A few players stood out ,and at least cork defence will be tested next week,and unlike yesterday ,we are playing a premier college out fit,not a second strength team at college level.

Paul whyte ,waterford ,a super player ,leading scorer in the waterford senior championship when he was still a minor ,with John o rourke and all star james o donughue at full forward with a half back line of tom clancy and luke mulligan of kerry.

It is grand to say sheehan looked good yesterday,the real test is if he has to mark whyte or o rourke or if donughue moves out.
    Mcloughin could be in for a torrid afternoon if Kearns plays donughue at corner than full forward as ,kearns is no fool and knows he could torment mcloughlin ,where as cadogan has a better chance to hold him.
    A good test for noel galvin too,i would hope he marks one of those three,as it be a good test for him too.

To an extent the ist test of Cuthbhert .The dog on the street can tell you ,whyte ,a good free taker ,o rourke and donoughe who got 1-10( but Eoin o mahony is not a top back)are key men,so we will learn quite a lot sunday ,in that who he picks to mark them in the first place ,and if they are still being beaten,will he adapt and change things fast enough.

Still not the ultimate test but such is the quailty of three inter county forwards we will get a taste of Managements ability to pick a team accordingly.

Interestingly ,Vaughan was in super form for CIT, 8 points four from play and the boot ,and donal og hodnett got a goal and two while dan mac eoin got 2-1 on a well beaten team ,shows the form of some potential stars.

That is why come the league ,I would much rather Mac Eoin(barring u21 of course)and hodnett get their chance with cork rather than hayes who four points from such a seasoned campaigner ,on a cork team that had total dominance over their opponents ,in pale comparison to a young gun ,still u21,yet on a beaten team gets 2-1.

You see people may say hayes was good .He was ,but taking in hes expierence,he profile with cork teams,he needs to be more than good to show he has something from previous years.Yesterday he did not do that.

• Advertisement

And i'd have Hayes over Masters anyday,especially on what i've seen the last few years.

Going by that so,saying Hayes shouldnt be on the panel if he cant make it in the Championship,that would rule out another 1 or 2 of the new lads yesterday,because the the likes of Galvin would be nowhere near Championship standard either.

Big big difference is hayes since 2007 had numerous chances and failed in big games against kerry.

Galvin has got no where near the same chances as him.If you want to compare like with like ,dont forget to include Hayes has had two different set up to prove himself.

The other crucial point ,dont forget is
    cork have a scarcity of top corner backs,
    and mcloughlin,carey have all had their chance,galvin has a realistic chance of being better than them.

In sheehan case,is he a better half back than the two clancys,loughrey,cahalane ,brian o driscoll ,dorman ,kevin crowley and has he a realistic chance of being better than them?
    No he has not.He is much older than most of these guys and has not done it before and compare hes underage pedigree to them ,and it is worlds apart.

Even jamie wall a much better player than sheehan will struggle to even get a chance with cork.
    I am a romantic when it comes to love,but I dont believe it will be a case of third time lucky,with hayes now involved with cuthbhert,it will be more a case of it comes in threes,as when it comes to football,I prefer to judge on what I see before me and dont believe in romantic fairytales,in that after seven years he can now be a top class intercounty forward capable of winning Cork an all ireland title.

He wont survive big games.Now he may well be picked,but if that is the case ,its a worry the management fail to see whats in front of them.

Next week to a degree will show the men from the boys.I want mcloughlin and sheehan to start.If they are going to be exposed it is better its next week than in bigger games.

K O'Halloran, E Cadogan, M Shields, A Walsh, F Gould, P Kerrigan, D O'Connor the back bone of the team? J Loughrey will be another lad who will be a leader on the team.
    Hurley,goulding,cahalane,o neill ,are injury permitting along with collins and kelly bound to be key men.

Gould done good yesterday but has to step it up.Kerrigan,needs to up the ante,beginning to believe he is better than he is ,needs to go back to the 2010 form.

Stay away from the media ,and a total focus on football would help him.

The key for cork is to find a corner back,a half back line balanced with drive,energy,pace,attacking skills but guys that can defend and kick pass a ball forty yards,and also see a pass ,and a midfielder for walsh with a balanced forward line.

Every unit must have one key leader,and every player must have pace .Cork must have a plan A and plan b ,and while it wont happen overnight we must see a steady curve of progress from game to game ,in not only players but managers.
    We must have a trade mark style of play but a plan B,that were not predicabtle hence ,we must have versalite adapatable players ,and not one trick ponies.

From a hurling point of view ,Tippereary beat offaly 3-18 to 1-10 in moneygall.

It shows and yes its early days for brian whelehan ,but how far offaly are off the pace and they won't provide us with much of a test in the league in cork.
    Tippereary u21 footballers won there ist game in the hasting cup.

Limerick seniors are training already ,have a game the weekend,should win that and play clare then away.They would seem to be ahead of us as we will be behind schedule due to the long season last year ,and the worry is we may face our 1st league game ,in what is a must win of the pace .

I hope we have tough challenge matches lined up ,after the teams holiday ,as we have no waterford crystal cup this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Blue Magic

When does the Waterford Crystal start for the Hurling?

Blue Magic wrote: »
    When does the Waterford Crystal start for the Hurling?

This weekend but tippereary,dublin waterford,have all had at least one challenge match so far.

• Advertisement

Big big difference is hayes since 2007 had numerous chances and failed in big games against kerry.

Galvin has got no where near the same chances as him.If you want to compare like with like ,dont forget to include Hayes has had two different set up to prove himself.

The other crucial point ,dont forget is
    cork have a scarcity of top corner backs,
    and mcloughlin,carey have all had their chance,galvin has a realistic chance of being better than them.

In sheehan case,is he a better half back than the two clancys,loughrey,cahalane ,brian o driscoll ,dorman ,kevin crowley and has he a realistic chance of being better than them?
    No he has not.He is much older than most of these guys and has not done it before and compare hes underage pedigree to them ,and it is worlds apart.

Even jamie wall a much better player than sheehan will struggle to even get a chance with cork.
    I am a romantic when it comes to love,but I dont believe it will be a case of third time lucky,with hayes now involved with cuthbhert,it will be more a case of it comes in threes,as when it comes to football,I prefer to judge on what I see before me and dont believe in romantic fairytales,in that after seven years he can now be a top class intercounty forward capable of winning Cork an all ireland title.

He wont survive big games.Now he may well be picked,but if that is the case ,its a worry the management fail to see whats in front of them.

Next week to a degree will show the men from the boys.I want mcloughlin and sheehan to start.If they are going to be exposed it is better its next week than in bigger games.

Im basing my opinions on what I saw yesterday,I only look at Hayes' past when the likes of other past players such as Masters is brought into the discussion.

On yesterdays performance alone i'd have him there for a while yet.

But as I previoulsy said its early days yet,i've seen Galvin play before and he impressed me,and on other occassions he was cleaned out.

Sunday in Mallow with a new manager and for the most part a new style of play,was a clean slate for alot of lads vying for positions as far as I'd be concerned.

Time will tell though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

Have the hurlers any challenge matches lined up while the Waterford Crystal is going on does anyone know? Theres usually the annual UCC v Cork challenge match around the middle of January, outside of the Waterford Crystal.

O'Byrne Cup is round-robin so I doubt it?
    Yeah it is,DIT have two more games,they are out again wednesday and then the last group game is on the weekend.

Four groups,3 teams,top team in each group get to the semi finals I think.

Connorzee wrote: »
    Have the hurlers any challenge matches lined up while the Waterford Crystal is going on does anyone know? Theres usually the annual UCC v Cork challenge match around the middle of January, outside of the Waterford Crystal.
    Im not sure but I would imagine that game,the canon o brien cup game would go ahead when they come back from the holiday.

Mallow on sunday the venue ul v cork.
    .great choice of venue
    Just have more match programmes on the day.

I just had a look at the ul team that played yesterday.A few players stood out ,and at least cork defence will be tested next week,and unlike yesterday ,we are playing a premier college out fit,not a second strength team at college level.

Paul whyte ,waterford ,a super player ,leading scorer in the waterford senior championship when he was still a minor ,with John o rourke and all star james o donughue at full forward with a half back line of tom clancy and luke mulligan of kerry.

It is grand to say sheehan looked good yesterday,the real test is if he has to mark whyte or o rourke or if donughue moves out.
    Mcloughin could be in for a torrid afternoon if Kearns plays donughue at corner than full forward as ,kearns is no fool and knows he could torment mcloughlin ,where as cadogan has a better chance to hold him.
    A good test for noel galvin too,i would hope he marks one of those three,as it be a good test for him too.

To an extent the ist test of Cuthbhert .The dog on the street can tell you ,whyte ,a good free taker ,o rourke and donoughe who got 1-10( but Eoin o mahony is not a top back)are key men,so we will learn quite a lot sunday ,in that who he picks to mark them in the first place ,and if they are still being beaten,will he adapt and change things fast enough.

Still not the ultimate test but such is the quailty of three inter county forwards we will get a taste of Managements ability to pick a team accordingly.

To add to this post, that I done earlier,ex mayo minor david dolan and kerrys martin tierney are with ul also in defence.
    Dolan ,i havent seen much of him since ,but he was a handy minor in mayos all ireland final run beaten by tyrone in a replay if I am thinking of the right lad.

The ist day he held the much rated kyle coney scorless and was handy I saw him in the gaelic grounds in person against kerry in the semi and he was very good ,in particular he if I am correct ,i think may have marked the aforementioned ,james o donugouhe.He is in a half back line with,Clancy,and Mulligan.
    That should at least test our half forward line but also give them a platform to build and get ball in to whyte,o rourke,and tailsman O donughue to test us.

Martin tirerney is as far I am aware on the kerry current U21 panel.
    Maybe a kerry poster can tell us more about him.

So from playing a team yesterday where it was hard to recognoise any real stars in the LIT team bar paddy dalton(thanks north cork star),you have at least 7 lads that have intercounty expierence at various levels so it should be a tougher test for us.

Mallow should draw a big crowd ,and is ideal for the ul lads and only right , it saves them another 40 minutes each way trip ,
    With just an hour trip down the N20,than a trip in to the city.I would expect a big duhallow,north cork crowd ,and a crowd from the city,as it is still a short spin down the road for them.

The cork team ,i would expect like last week to be named wednesday night.And at least it wont be a dummy team.It will be interesting to hear the team.Crowley is such a potential star,he would bring a good crowd on he's own such is the high regard he is held in duhallow and north cork.Such natural ,pure talent he is.I would start him.

Cadogan is unavailble for the weekend so Full back is a worry for Sunday.Shieids is with DIT,tommorrow night and the weekend in the O Byrne Cup.I think Jamie Sullivan may be injured(not certain,anyone know?).
    The other option management might have went for was Ray Carey who played full back with Clyda.(not that he is one at intercounty).
    Suddenly you realise Cork have a big,big problem Sunday ,as it is no ordinary full forward they face,but an all star ,James O Donoughue.
    Damien Cahalane U21 full back last year is out.

Who will Cork try there?I hope its not Eoin O Mahony (i presume he is eligble with ucc beaten),last Sunday he already played against O Donughue on Sunday.
    TJ Brosan has been playing there for CIT at times(U21 this year ,i would be suprised if starts such Is the top quailty half back in the panel),he lacks the pace for a modern day wing back .He is with CIT anyway against Kerry .Tom Clancy who has played 3 for UL ,is with UL Sunday .I doubt he is a full back,full of natural attacking flair ,he is not discplined enough to stay and command a square.A fine half back though and could be a big player for Cork in the future.

It will be very interesting to here who is named there,as that will have a huge bearing on the game.Sunday evening,I would have said Cork to win ,but now with Cadogan out,and the lack of depth,and the fact the more I look at Ul,the more I see they have a talented bunch of players.Yes they lack the collective training,and cohesion ,understandably so early on in January ,but Cork are the same ,as far as I am aware Cork only played UCC in a challenge ,and then LIT.
    And they will be facing a cork team with similar issues .That was an impressive score against UCC they got.They also have Danny Neville and James O Meara in the panel from Limerick.

A Post Courtsey of the limerick thread
    Fireball07 wrote: »
    At underage level, Danny Neville was class... I mean he's still U-21, I would say he's probably the best underage player in Limerick tbh. Was in the senior panel last year, but I don't remember him getting any gametime, even in the league.

I'd love to see him involved though, he's big, strong, fast, skilful... physically, he should be a match for most. Okay, he mightn't have the toned intensity and aggression that some intercounty players have now, but that comes with time. He's got a good base to build off and I think he should be given a chance at senior level, we're desperately short of scoring forwards.

As for O'Meara, from the same club... good player. I wouldn't say it's too harsh to say that he probably doesn't have as much raw talent as Neville but he's a workhorse, loads of energy, intelligent footballer. He has played intercounty championship football for Limerick. Versatile, works extremely hard, very useful to have in a squad if nothing else. Started wing-forward against Longford in 2012, but was used as a sweeper... again, has pace, is strong, fits the modern game well enough.

If I was picking the team, I'd give Neville a start or two in the league, see how he goes. O'Meara is probably behind one or two players in the starting team, but is a great bench option, can slot in in most positions. Plus good against tiring teams.

They also have Dessie Moyne of Monaghan back,a super half back and Eoghan O Connnor a good forward with Offaly.
    They have Phelim Mchugh of leitrim with Conor Mcnamee) ,both should win some ball at midfield.
    Brian o Shea of kerry and Dr Crokes(not a regular yet on the main team)is a capable player.

And they have an absoulte gem on the panel if he is available to play,Ian Burke.We don't need a reminder who he is,got four points off us in the all ireland u21 final last year against Alan Cronin(was meant to be our tightest corner back),and won the u21 Cadbury Future Player of the year award.A lovely striker of the ball,just glides across the ptich.Strong and fast,can win he's own ball ,a nightmare on he's day for any top corner back.
    Im as much interested in what team UL field as I am in what team Cork field now.We should know the Cork team ,midweek,we may not know the UL,team till it actually takes the field at 2pm Sunday.

Maybee with Dessie Moyne back they will drop David Dolan to corner back where he plays normally.Tierney at full back,a half back line of Clancy,Moyne ,Mulligan ,midfield of Neville and Mchugh or Mcnamee and a forward line of anything of Brian O Shea,Paul Whyte,John O Rourke,James O Donughue,Eoghan O Connor ,James O Meara,Ian Burke ,there is a formiddable test for Cork .Derek Daly of Kerry another capable player is on the panel.

Whether Ul start them remains to be seen but I would love to see Whyte,O'Rourke,O'Cconnor ,Brian O Shea,James O Donuguhe and Ian Burke start up front ,a young ,very talented six ,that then you can judge Galvin,Mcloughlin,Sheehan,Crowley etc.And Cork are bound to even met better forward lines than this down the line such is standard now but at least it would be a good test Sunday.

Dublin beat Westmeath by a point with only four regulars or there abouts starting ,but with such an inexpierenced team away to Westmeath there hard fought one point win is a lot more benfit to them than our no contest Sunday.Thats why we need a test the weekend and all indications are is we will get one.

Jamie O Sullivan underwent surgery end of last week,think for a hip problem but not 100% on that,but he'll be out for a good bit.

Eoin O Mahony is definetly not inter county standard anyway,thats for sure,was up in Donegal,2 years ago now I think it is, in the League and Murphy basically had him in his pocket from the off,ball was in the back of the net before Eoin even knew what had happened,same above in Down last year again in the League,he was completely destroyed in the first half.

Jamie O Sullivan underwent surgery end of last week,think for a hip problem but not 100% on that,but he'll be out for a good bit.

Eoin O Mahony is definetly not inter county standard anyway,thats for sure,was up in Donegal,2 years ago now I think it is, in the League and Murphy basically had him in his pocket from the off,ball was in the back of the net before Eoin even knew what had happened,same above in Down last year again in the League,he was completely destroyed in the first half.

Cheers lad

The amount of hip injuries is frightening now.Yeah Eoin got destroyed against kildare last year,ist league game,aint up to it.

Who would you think be at full back Sunday?

On the Hurling front Limerick are out Sunday ,it should be interesting what team they pick.The game I look forward to is if they win get to play Clare in two weeks,if they are no Cork games on that weekend I will go for a look.Interestingly to see what style Limerick adapt.(doubtful if Cork win the football they will clash with it,so I wont make it Still ,im sure a few of the limerick and clare lads will go to it ,and will post a report.

It was great to have the season up til October for the Cork Lads as that extra 3 weeks with the replay had us engraved and captured with hurling till the start of winter,but the one down side is that we are behind other counties in terms of training and prepartion.The lads are on a well deserved holiday in America ,and the timing of the holiday ,you couldnt fault them ,as it was the best for them.

The problem,beyond there control which compounds the late preparation of our guys ,was the Limerick game being fixed as the 1st game in the league.
    Take Tippereary and Cork 1st game last year,it shows what I mean and fear it does not happen us.We had trained for a good six weeks,had a few matches played ,and our touch was sharp and the legs were light,compared to Tippereary who were training,but doing a lot of heavy work,such that the Cork game was the least of there worries.That night they were way of the pace.They got better ,as the league wore on.
    The fundamental difference was Tippeary had a safety net,of four more games with nothing between the teams that they still had a relistic chance of staying up,and in the end they got to a league final.
    Cork do not have any such safety net,winner takes all really.

Cork can make up time as the months progress in terms of training and fitness wise but they will have to work extremely hard as some counties have nearly a six week head start on them.Cork are out a month earlier ,where Clare in a similar boat to us,have a month later before they are out.Unlike Cork,last year where we were cold coming in to our june game ,Clare won't be as bad,as they have a settled team,but also a huge depth of a panel that there AV B games unlike others will be of real intenstity as there is huge competition for places on the panel,never mind the team.

Waterford have had a few games already,against Antrim,Dublin, playing UCC tonight,Tippereary played Wexford(beat them handy),Westmeath ,and Offaly whom despite fielding only about six or seven regulars won handy enough.They have the Waterford Crystal Cup games to follow.
    Dublin have had a game against Waterford,are due to play Ul also
    The fact they all have 5 top games at least in Div 1A of the league gives them a huge edge on Cork next year.

A lot of people say that last year proved Div 2 teams are not hindered by that as Dublin and Limerick proved.I remain convinced,and think last year was more the exception to the Rule.
    If people want to go with that view,you could just as easily say that as the season went on the lack of that edge the games in the league playing against top teams brought to teams ,affected them down the line ,as both were beaten in a semi final.The bottom line is like it has been for the last number of years,the All Ireland Final has been contested by two teams that were in the top hurling tier of the League that playing year,as in terms of playing personnael you only learn the true worth of players against top teams,and by that note you can build a panel of strength for the Championship.

That point seems to be forgotten.Its okay to say ,Limerick and Dublin won a Provincial title,but the true test ,the litmus test must be All Irelands and on that note,based on recent times ,top tier teams in the league tend to make All Ireland Finals.David Matthews said he will up the training again next year so that is a positve.He done such a wonderful job last year he has earned the confidence and believe of fans.

On the Club scence ,Padric Fanning with Davy fitygerald in Waterford ,is coaching ,Bride Rovers.

A big shake up in the Cork Senior Club scence next year with a lot of good appointments.
    Newtownshandrum-Liam Ryan ,coahed Dromina to an All Ireland Title.
    Barrs-john cremin
    Killeagh-Sean Crowley
    Carrigtwohill -Ronan Dywane
    Sarsfields have a good coach in Pat ryan
    Courcey have John meyler a good coach again.

Na piarsaigh have Ian Guinheen,a good coach
    Youghal have Christy cooney,credit due does the admin side very well and has peter cody ,a great coach with UCC also.
    Glen rovers have Ian lynham and Rtiche Kelleher and who got them to a county final in 2010.
    Peter Smith is staying with Midelton

A lot of clubs with a change of faces that will freshen up the teams and most should improve the teams at the very least making them more competitve ,hence the end result,the Cork county championship more will be more competitve,which can only benefit Cork Intercounty teams across most levels down the line .

• Advertisement

Cheers lad

The amount of hip injuries is frightening now.Yeah Eoin got destroyed against kildare last year,ist league game,aint up to it.

Who would you think be at full back Sunday?

Not 100% on it being a hip injury,I may just have imagined that bit because I know Cahalane had surgery for the same,but hes definetly out for a bit.I must check it out again.

Is Clancy from Clon available for Sunday? I've seen him play several positions for Clon over the years,granted hes not a natural fullback but we're not blessed with many of them available for this game!

Only other way I could see Cuthbert placing them would be drop back Sheehan into full back and start O Laoire from Naomh Aban at half back.

Either way its not really going to work.

Not 100% on it being a hip injury,I may just have imagined that bit because I know Cahalane had surgery for the same,but hes definetly out for a bit.I must check it out again.

Is Clancy from Clon available for Sunday? I've seen him play several positions for Clon over the years,granted hes not a natural fullback but we're not blessed with many of them available for this game!

Only other way I could see Cuthbert placing them would be drop back Sheehan into full back and start O Laoire from Naomh Aban at half back.

Either way its not really going to work.

No he is with Ul,and the other Clancy is injured ,with kerrigan ,i think.

Yeah ,i can see why you would say them,such is the scarity of options ,and I think sheehan would get tormented there do.He is not ,i feel up to it in hes best poisiton so when he is played out of position ,against an all star who just needs half a chance to score he would be under pressure.

The only option I can think of is Crowley ,but he is too attack minded so I am not sure.Loughrey is not an option.

We are in real trouble here.Noel galvin may be the best option but then we need a corner back them.At such an early time in the season it shows how thread bare we are in that line,and just shows how vital cadogan is to cork ,and how foolish it is to allow him do hurling also.

They wouldnt be a need to drop laoire at half back ,as crowley can play there.

Cahalane had a double hip operation.

As its literally been anounced:

1. Ken O’Halloran Bishopstown
    2. John McLoughlin Kanturk
    3. Tomás Clancy Fermoy
    4. Noel Galvin Ballincollig
    5. James Loughrey Mallow
    6. Fintan Goold Macroom
    7. Kevin O’Driscoll Tadhg MacCárthaigh
    8. Micheál Ó Laoire Naomh Abán
    9. Andrew O’Sullivan Castletownbere
    10. Paul Kerrigan Nemo Rangers
    11. Mark Sugrue Bandon
    12. Colm O’Driscoll Tadhg MacCárthaigh
    13. Daniel Goulding Éire Óg
    14. Donncha O’Connor Ballydesmond
    15. John Hayes Carbery Rangers

Subs:
    16. Ryan Price O'Donovan Rossa
    17. Colin Lyons St. Finbarr’s
    18. Sean Murphy Ballydesmond
    19. Barry O'Driscoll Nemo Rangers
    20. Kevin Crowley Millstreet
    21. Killian O’Connor Mallow

Brian Cuthbert has made four changes to the team that defeated LIT last Sunday. Ken O'Halloran starts in goal, while Tomás Clancy comes in for Eoin Cadogan, who is on study leave. Aidan Walsh is on holidays, and Micheál Ó Laoire starts at midfield, along with Andrew O'Sullivan, while Paul Kerrigan comes into the side at wing forward. Alan Sheehan has not fully recovered from a dead leg sustained in last Sunday's game, and Fintan Goold moves into the centre back position.

Going by that,we look good from 10 forward,but i'd be worried from 7 back.

Midfield? Yet another new partnership,have to try something here anyway because its an area I think we'll struggle in all year.

A strong team bar ,mcloughlin,o sullivan and hayes.
    Full back is weak,but I don't blame them as we have no options and clancy is the best availble.
    A good half back line ,Gould has played there for club ,and that or midfield is hes aera.
    Loughrey and driscoll offer a good balance.
    Laoire is fine ,caught 3 great balls as a sub ,and is a great man to cover ground and move the ball at pace.
    Sullivan isnt the answer.Midfield won't be too bad once Walsh starts and stays there.The problem last year,walsh did not play there and Alan O 'Connor lack of pace,was brutally exposed against Dublin.Laoire could be the partner,but I still maintan,Rory Deane had the makings of one ,and I still cant fathom how Andrew o sullivan is there and he is not.

A good half forward line ,of driscoll,sugrue ,and kerrigan.A lot of pace,graft and natural ability .
    Donnacha is fine ,hayes if dolan marks him won't have it as easy as the last day.
    A weak subs bench up front with only barry o driscoll the real game changer.I would prefer him than hayes,never got a decent run,with counihan

Crowley I would much rather start even at corner back and has pace,mcloughlin doesnt have,but as I said if he is to be expnsed it is better it is sunday.

Speaking of Cork,Paudi kissane was training Clare in UL tonight.Fourth session he had I have watched.A big,difference to the 1st one in November in that a full panel tonight,around 40 lads ,a mix of the u21s were in there.He has all the attributes of a good coach.Cork should monitor he's progress ,and if he develops,should be in underage coaching in two years.It is crucial,we develop not just young players but we develop modern day young coaches at the top level also.

They split up to two different ptiches,he took one group focusing on different skills,while on the other ptich the other group done a series of running,and fitness drills with Chris deloze.
    He put them through a series of very impressive drills,all with intensity and pace,he does not mince hes words,a hard task master just what you want,striving for perfection.
    Then that group had a game ,he was at the centre of it ,constanly telling them where to improve.
    It will be interesting to follow Clare this year,and I hope they do well.

Just watched the Limerick minor hurlers train tonight,a panel of around 24 were there, I was very impressed with training.
    They were missing around 14(nash,lynch,cosgrave etc) as lads have harty next week,and still looked good.Jerry wallis was there,a big loss to Cork hurling.

Cregan seems to be taking a key role with them.If Cork should meet them in the semifinal they have a tough test provided limerick beat tippereary at home.I was amazed by the speed,and touch tonight.
    It was mainly a balls skills session

There meant to be cutting there panel to around 25ish in February,Cork minors are doing similar.

Thats Paudie through and through sure,even when playing with Cork you could see his own warm up was spot on,his preperation was always correct,never let anything to chance,and sure it being his chosen career too hes no fool thats for sure. A proper athlete!

I'd be with you on the situation regarding Rory Deane,cant understand how hes not on the panel,beggars belief considering how well he played last year. I will say though I saw him against Ballincollig for Carbery towards the latter stages of the summer and he wasnt up to the pace at all that day,then again he was after a big run of games prior to that game,but his fielding would be a huge asset to Cork,and his running with the ball in hand is spot on. Strange choice from Cuthbert and the selectors.

I'd be worried about Fintan when you run direct at him hes prone to bad tackles and decisions,could see him giving away alot of fouls,would be hoping he doesnt get some flyer coming at him from midfield or he'll be in trouble.

As for the rest,if the elements are alot calmer on Sunday,it'll be very interesting to see how we do from the off,as in nearly every League game last year Cork stayed at a snails pace,last Sunday wasnt relevant due to the wind,a more 50/50 game this weekend will tell alot more.

Thats Paudie through and through sure,even when playing with Cork you could see his own warm up was spot on,his preperation was always correct,never let anything to chance,and sure it being his chosen career too hes no fool thats for sure. A proper athlete!

I'd be with you on the situation regarding Rory Deane,cant understand how hes not on the panel,beggars belief considering how well he played last year. I will say though I saw him against Ballincollig for Carbery towards the latter stages of the summer and he wasnt up to the pace at all that day,then again he was after a big run of games prior to that game,but his fielding would be a huge asset to Cork,and his running with the ball in hand is spot on. Strange choice from Cuthbert and the selectors.

I'd be worried about Fintan when you run direct at him hes prone to bad tackles and decisions,could see him giving away alot of fouls,would be hoping he doesnt get some flyer coming at him from midfield or he'll be in trouble.

As for the rest,if the elements are alot calmer on Sunday,it'll be very interesting to see how we do from the off,as in nearly every League game last year Cork stayed at a snails pace,last Sunday wasnt relevant due to the wind,a more 50/50 game this weekend will tell alot more.
    I never doubted he's commitment.I did not think he should have started last year,lacked real pace and a bit loose defending.Endurance,energy,commitment couldnt fault.

Massive dedication and commitment ,to arrive in limerick ,at 8.30,train up to just after ten,in a wet bitterly cold night,and then hours road or more ahead of him,yet involved in the biggest game in hes club history in 3 weeks,but still to train them twice a week,immense credit due to him.

Very well organised.Taking to coaching like a duck to water.
    Gould I think is tough ,hard strong and fast,problem was he was too indescive and erratic as a forward and lacked real belief and exceution in the really big games.As long as playing as a forward didnt drain all that confidence he may be okay.
    Needs to step it up,in the last chance saloon.
    Totally agree,cork must hit the ground running and set the tone and be the team being chased than being ten points down and like a dog trying to chase he's own tail.

It is beyond belief Deane best club team of the year,couldnt make the panel.He was picked at half forward,and that is not even he's best poisiton.

Eoin keane,kevin canty,the butcher put together couldnt tie deanes shoelaces in terms of having pace,strength,good in the air,great work rate and a super engine.
    Always the mark of a good player is how he performs on poor teams and overcomes adversity.
    Against Dublin in 2012 in u21,,Cork were being over run,and over powered by Dublin,Deane was one of very few that could be happy with he's game,he never gave up,and took the fight to Dublin.

On sunday in kerry up against Maher and Moran,who are highely rated Deane playing at midfield for Tralee IT was meant to have more than held he's own,and got two points,compare and contrast that to Butcher ,who despite a great work ethic,honesty and endeavour on a cork side against a poor ,poor second rate college team,in which Cork were always on top,he didnt dominate or stand out or get two points and he was playing up front for the 1st half.

Cuthbhert made a huge error not picking him in the panel ,he can rectify that by picking him in the league.
    He has done it Sunday against a strong kerry midfield,he deserves the chance to partner Walsh in a game as with a stronger partner he could even be better.

• Advertisement

Eammon Ryan staying on for another year with the Cork Ladies Footballers.Splendid news.
    In Ladies football also John Leahy ,the ex-hurler is coaching the Tippreary Ladies Intermediate Football team this year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement