Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

I fully agree with your constructive criticisms. I dont think anyone here wants any cork team to do bad. JBM dropped the ball with not giving the likes of Micky Sull, Haughney and Keane a proper go at yesterday. There's not much to learn from them playing the likes of Laois and co. No disrespect to those counties but they're of no benefit to us, win or lose, if we want to win an all ireland.

Im a UCC grad so the heart tells me UCC, but Maynooth have a savage team on paper. Macauley aside, you've got Eric Lowndes while their attack the last day out had Donegal’s Patrick Brearty, Meath’s Eamonn Wallace and the Kildare's Paddy Brophy and Paul Cribbin. All depends on how the UCC full forward line gets on. On their day, Cox (who i think is going to be great for Kerry) and Quinlivan are unmarkable as such. Paddy Power have UUJ as favourites, and Maynooth next and UCC/UCD third.

Unfortunately i moved to KK (for my sins) this week with work so i wont be up there for the Fitz or Sigerson. Thankfully TG4 will have both on tv, and AerTV are live streaming both online, as well as the Ashbourne (today) and O'Connor cups.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Horse84

Jes TTM I think I blushed a bit when u described mark ellis's body lol.

On a serious note I agree, that performance last night was dismal. I find it very hard to find any positives from it at all, with the possible exception of the performances of mickey sull and cadogan when they came on. Yes cork did very well and had limerick in all sorts of trouble in the first 15 mins but then I think there was a lengthy injury stoppage for a limerick defender and that broke the play and they just stopped playing.

This team has to show progress and while yea it's start of the league, it was an important game at home which should've been taken seriously. The last 2 years the team might not have performed but at least a game plan was evident and the team had a discernible pattern of play. Last night that was not to be seen at all, which u could argue it's cause we had new faces but established players last night like Kearney and moylan and others really struggled I thought.
    I'm beginning to think that Cunninghams departure may have been underestimated but I won't say anymore as it's just too soon.

One last thing on Aidan Walsh, he cut a very frustrated figure out there last night. He showed glimpses of his potential but that was it. He struggled with keeping his feet al through the game and even the warm up, strange to see. Now I'm open to correction but he didn't spend a lot of time inside at full forward at all and what possession or chances at possession he did have all came on the 40. His shooting is erratic, it was never his strongest point to be fair but for me the jury is still out with him especially playing dual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

What has happened to Corks style of hurling. In championship last year short snappy passing. 20/30 yard passes up the field. It was brilliant to see in championship last year. Into space to suit our pacey hurlers. Clare, KK, Dublin couldn't live with it. All of a sudden in the final we changed tactics. Lumping high balls time after time on Harnedy and Cronin especially. It was worse in the final with Cronin at 14 and absolutely everything went in high as possible.

I can't understand why they have changed this???

Am I the only one

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

At the ladies game 1-7 to 4 down to monahan.
    Could still come back.
    Stack,finn,o sullivans and briege having great games.
    Windy enough,cork have it the second half.

Juliet murphy at the game.What a legend she is.

Cork just missed a sitter of a goal,open goal

Monaghan won the kickout and got a goal.

From what should have been a 3 po4np game is now a nine point game

0-6 to 2-9 13 min gone 2nd half

• Advertisement

UCC are 1-11 to 6 points up in the Purcell Final v DIT, at the moment

Connorzee wrote: »
    UCC are 1-11 to 6 points up in the Purcell Final v DIT, at the moment

Ucc team?
    Great stuff thanks lad

Your not the only Horse,i blushed myself when i read over it ha ha ha

I meant in an athletes sense,totally not that way at all,no bother with people that are though,i see conor cusack is gay,he said friday night.
    Doesnt take away at all in thats hes a wonderful person.

Dry ptich in mallow,great nick,a lot of sand put on it,jesus rock hard in places,someone could easiy get a bad injury.

Only about 150 people at it,christ they have given us wonderful years,they deserve more.Great to see them getting top faciltes to play ,changing room,medicall room etc.

Lost by 5 points wouldnt be a major set back to them,as its the 1st game,unlike the hurling last night,these girls are serial winners,won everything in the game,and with a few there with a lot of mileage,werent going to at full titlt.
    Also ,in the hurling it was a league final and cork had to win as we have had failure in 4 finals and suffocating from a lack of real belief in Big games.
    No programmes for this,hughely dissapointin,i arrived ten minutes late, but if there was any there,wasnt many.

I hate arriving late to games but i felt in great company when i saw Juliet Murphy the great arrive 20 minutes after me.What a legend.Greatest player ever in the Ladies game ,among the Greatest in the Gaa itself ,owes Cork nothing,still attending games as a spectator ,shows what a great she is.

Cork played very well,5 points wasnt a fair reflection as Cork really dominated the second half ,the turning point was cork missed an open goal that could of made it 3 down ,the monaghan got a great goal straight from the kicout ,9 down it was a huge ask.

But these arent all champions for nothing,Attuide christ if you could bottle there attuide and give to any team ,they would be well on the way.Every single ball and they never gave up ,they had two more goal chances finn and o sullivan bringing of two great saves from the Monaghan keeper.

Cork created 3 good goal chances,cleand up at midfield in the second half,corkery winning a lot in the middle third playing a captains part and pushing up from wing back.

Stack,corkery ,doireann o sullivan superb game,at 11,linked with defence playing deep and attack effortslessy and at least 3 great poins.Turning in to the male version of paddy kelly,brian dooher and the soon to be great Mark collins.

A loss but Mongahan took there chances,Cork didn,possesion wise over the game it was equal,Monaghan are a fine team and i would love po see them win the all ireland if it wasnt Cork,but i would respect them,but wouldnt greatly fear them after today.

Jesus some die hard monaghan fans ,there today a credit to there county and the Gaa comunity.

Talking to some ,and as the game was 12.30 start had left with roads being bad over the weather and a lot of water still ,at left 3 in the morning to make the game ,journeny back up home then,and still get up for a days work in the morning.They were just delighted to be there,i hope they win the all ireland some day with fans like those.I dont get to go to many ladies games,with other games clashing,it was a pleasure to be able to go today,and also an u 10 game at half time,witnessings stars of the future, in the Kilshannig and Mourneabbey game.

Saw the 2nd half kk v clare.Anyone that talks bollo* that 1st game of a league isnt important dont read much in to it ,look at Cody and Davy fitz,christ the intensity and expression on there face was there for a blind man to see ,and they see the bigger picture ,some thing our management and juding by the reaction here some,not all fail to see.

Mindset and mentailty got from that win was vital,Davy knew that,full strength Clare team at home to kilkenny with a few missing had to win ,as Clare havent beat kk ,at senior much ,in a while ,today had to as kilkenny are clares biggest danger this year,clare will improve as the season goes on so too will kk,but whaterer bout any game,this was there biggest game for both teams,a statement of intent unlike cork was laid,and had show they keep evolving,and for a young team huge win,yeah davy played it dow,thats he style.

Look at the challemges and intensity today,Cody wanted to beat Clare,get the 1st blow but a one point defeat against all ireland champions in ennis without a few is ten times more valuable to Cork who drew at home against a weak limerick panel at home,and needed to win a big game .The biggest loosers this weekend is cork.
    Drew and could of lost a game that i said thursday could happen ,as we didnt act on the sideline fast enough.

And people need to get truthfully real ,rectifing next week is horse sh*t against an average laois team,as unlike kk who have a tough game,noting can be learned in truth with laois ,and we have to wait 5 weeks to rectify it in the q final.
    The mininum standard next week for a team with all ireland ambition is a 15 point win ,and players that do well wont necessarily play themselves on the team as bigger test lie ahead,but anyone that doesnt perform,show a desire,an attuide ,real intent unlike last night shambles ,lets cut the rubbish and call a spade a spadeit was a Shambles in all honest y,shouldnt be starting in championship against waterford in may.

Hear davy speak afterwards,touch was and fitness off ,yes understandable,yet he demanded like cody in every game,and both managers got it today in abundance from their teams ,an attuide is the very least they expect,to compte and fight for every balls like dogs.

One team done that last night ,that was Limerick.Our attuide was shocking,and certain players were awful in that regard,and management are to blame for not showing real intent in picking a strong team or making changes fast enough,in some cases none at all ,in a game that was a Must win for them.
    And my head still cant understand the best half back in cork last year by a country mile ,held dowling in u21 2011 when ellis was roasted ,Jamie nagle cant get on the panel for a game ahead of white and ellis.
    Must be called up sooner than later.

Horse ,jamie coughlan is injured,i don't think its too serious.

Cronin and harnedy be back in 3 weeks or less,harnedy may make ucc panel next weekend.

Paudie is training but id say and right fully so they won't rush him .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

What would be your 15 for the championship at this moment?

Tg4 now cork match on in full

• Advertisement

Photos Cork v monagahan today

Dont have the team, but heres the report

BgnQygBCEAAzAel.png

UCC laid the foundation for their Purcell Cup final success in the first half as they tore out of the blocks with an intent that left DIT reeling. Player of the tournament, Katrina Mackey was amongst the scorers as they already had three points after 90 seconds and they had 1-6 on the board by the time the aforementioned Gaule got DIT off the mark from a free.
    The Kilkenny sharpshooter chipped in with a couple of more points as DIT settled down after that initial onslaught, and it took a fantastic save from Shauna Carroll to keep it at 1-7 to 0-4 at the interval.
    DIT spurned another goal opportunity early in the second half, when Gaule drove over the bar from a penalty and not taking those chances was a folly punished clinically by the skull and crossbones. Indeed that point was DIT’s only score of the half and the Leesiders hit four points in a row, with the spectacular Mackey providing three of them, to claim the silverware on a 1-11 to 0-7 scoreline.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Cork were dire today, very poor performance by their standards and Delahunty did them no favours - missed an obvious double bounce when the Monaghan player went through only for Corkery to brilliantly defend it. Lot of physicality from the Monaghan players as well, which Cork didn't quite match. Number of decisions that were baffling.

Passing was very poor at times, don't know how many passes went astray today. Couple of glaring goal chances missed by Cork, whereas Monaghan took theirs. As good as the O Sullivans are, their selfishness will kill Cork, not sure which one kicked the ball THREE times into the Monaghan keepers hands in the final few minutes rather than feeding it to someone else - very very frustrating. Missing quite a few players - I was very impressed by Emma Farmer, but the ball wasn't being given into her because of it being held up outside. To compare Doireann to Paddy Kelly or Dooher is a disservice to the two lads, it would be more like Cora Staunton. If they passed the ball faster for their own club as well, they would be county senior champions a few years ago!

Very frustrating game, and an important game for Monaghan to win psychologically. I wasn't expecting Cork to win it, or be as close as we were, which is a bonus. Valerie was in the stands as well, missing O Reilly with camogie, Ger O Flynn and a few others.

Games at half time had players from Mourneabbey, Mallow, Kanturk and Knocknagree - no Kilshannig involvement!

Met a few of the Monaghan lads that I know as well, saw the father of Ireland's fittest family as well

Nash-certainty,only fear is injury
    O Neill-Only a Corner back

-Spillane or Keane ,only two realistic options no,but were miles behind kilkenny ,as they blooded Michael Walsh today,he survived and have 4 games to get him tested,we have f**ck all til the if were lucky quater final ,end march bit late be getting a full back ,but we wont learn anything from laois.
    3 years in and none.Whats worse still,wait for the match reports tommorrow,barely a mention 3 is a huge aera of Concern.

Yeah they beat offaly in Offaly,credit due,but i dont think offaly have Acutally won a game yet with Whelahan in 6 challenges matches or so.

Laois with ger cunnigham ul with then will improve but by next week not enough for us.

Murphy ,brian or killian or mcdonnell ,conor sullivan.Honestly i wouldnt fear anyone,brian murphy being standout man marker obivously if he doesnt retire

Mcloughlin,watch yesterday match,ball after ball he sweeped up.Fast but lacks yard pace for midfield.Be an all star 5 though.
    Joyce,has to get games and protection with two competent wing men,he was carrying more passengers than aer lingus ,with ellis and white awful 1st touch,and lack of pace,anticpation.

We were wide open at 6 as he was out of position putting fires out everywhere.I said thursday he had no protection and be made look poor.

Egan-thundered in to the game,but must be consistent.Last night was a start.

Try nagle out at 7.if joyce and i doubt he would fail,lorchan at 6,egan can and is better suited as donal o grady said at 5,and nagle 7.Mcdonell an option in that unit,Not a Centre back though.No presence.

Kearney-automatic starter

Rob o shea leading contender,haughney must be tested.
    It wont happen but mick walsh would be ideal here,never got any chance last year in truth.

Michael sullivan serious contender,wins,scraps.pace,target for puckouts,strong,endurance,hurling needs sharpening ,but he has a wonderful grit and determination.

Like niall mac in 2003, very raw at times but huge potential and i have No Doubt would make it,if he was with Clare hed be in contention to start,there type of player.

Lehane,10 only but roam everywhere-automatic-

Harnedy 11-automatic
    Walsh 12-i dont agree at all at all hes shooting is erratic,Munster final 2011,8 from distance and play,tipp u21 2011,around 1-4,kanturk all season he was superb and in the Intermediate final showed hes Potency,won a ball ,ran towards goal and got a superb goal.
    I watched the match on tg4,again,he was out from goal at times from full forward at puckouts in a crowded aera,he was down in the corners in culd de sacs at times.Play 3 half forward line and spread out ,and he will win ball.Wasnt at 12 for any great length of the game.Moved out and got injured then.

Moylan,cadogan,pebbles ,o farell vying for a corner forward starts.The guys that dont make,could do a job on any given day and make up a formidabble bench,jamie coughlan ,a real option at half forward if needs be,win dirty ball,and depending who we play could do a job at centre forward,and maybee just maybee worth if all else fails worth a look at midfield.

Cronin when fully fit 14,done good last year in the replay,wasnt fully fit and touch was off undesstandably.

Could be potent if cork vary starategy and is ideal target man.You cant put two on him like half forward etc ,easier crowd there,you do it a full back,theres a man free.

Cahalane shouldnt be used the game was in the melting pot ,as we had other options.Not suitable for a debut at 18.Great sub in championship,and we have a subs bench.

Also keep walsh as i said all year,he confirmed in paper he only works a bit hurlemwms,hes own boss lots time for ball alley or recovery ,and has way more time than cadogan who is clearly struggling,only 24 hrs in a day,and you cant do two things at once,training studying etc.Jbm is a legend,jbm is not or never will be a Magican.

Thank him for commendable effort ,let him choose no pressure which one but he cant do both.

As when cahalane comes back,idea needs be quashed,end of story.Has a huge huge road ahead to get a starting place in football ,with up to 7 or 8 fighting for a half back place.

Huge problems Tom in that every other top 5 county has games and will learn even in defeats ,where we will learn very little in big wins against Antrim,offaly ,laois etc.
    Scoring difference,a huge thing now ,so with Laois,then Offaly in Cork ,has to big wins.

Yes they have hurling in aeras ,but wont have the speed of touch,mind,or intensity to beat cork this year and cork love teams like laois,antrim,offaly where spacde is in abundanbce,unlike yesterday where every inch of space was sacred and at a premium.

Horgan-No worries,always had skill,he now compliments that with attuide,desire,hunger and temparement .Unbeliveable .

Great report,thanks lad ,and great win for the ladies,doing UCC proud.

Team for nex week

Nash
    O neill
    Keane
    Murphy
    Mcloughlin
    Joyce
    Egan
    Kearney
    O shea
    Lehane
    Sullivan
    Walsh
    Moylan
    Horgan
    Cadogan

If moylan doesnt do it in a half like anyone else,take them off,dont D**k about.o farell ,cahalane,haughney,spillane,mcdonnell on the bench.
    Laois are meant to by physical,Do not play Cian Mac who just can't move well.Sullivan is physical,but real pace,and ability ,to break tackles like walsh with strong direct running ,and lay ball of for runners inside,cadogan,horgan,and moylan have goals in them .

O farell is a great option but i would call aside,and tell him hes place is in real jeopardy even a panel place when all are back,when its cut in May.He needs a wake up call.Now or never.
    And he has the talent.But he must get that ruthless goal streak back from 2012,,and hes gob is goals,no Soft scoring taking points as he has such talent he could be a goal machine .Anywhere within 20 metres hes to go for goals.If he misses fair enough.But i want that intent back,and Must demand and show for the ball more.
    And to keep the focus ,stay away from radios ,etc you name it.
    He done plenty of that the last two years.Such a savage talent,its awful if its not fulfilled.To do that 100 per cent focus on Hurling,no side shows ,or dlstractions.

Yes the media you must keep sweet and on your own side and raise the profile of the game and team.Choose your men though.And the media are vital and essential in the game.

Nash,o neill,kearney,cronin,horgan should be the men for interviews etc,as there on top of there game and have expierence ,the rest are still trying to find there feet and are inexpierenced.Plenty time for interviews etc.

My mistake ,aplogies ,RG15,I was told with the crowd i was with twas kilshannig.

Who were the lads playing just before on the other top ptich ,yellow and black and blue and white.No one had a clue.

You would know more about the ladies them me,so if you say that ,then i would take word regarding the o sullivans.I always get confused with them,Doireann was 11 yeah.Twas 11 that had the drop shots.

I thought Cork more than held there own in the second half ,that goal chance was a killer,i would have loved to see it at a 3 point game.Who missed it ?

I love the No Nonense,straight up rulthess assement from you,great to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭homer.j

@MikeMoynihanEx Significant @OfficialCorkGAA injury news arising out of Saturday night's @LimerickCLG game, see tomorrows @ExaminerSport #gaa

:eek:

I hope walsh isnt injured,or lehane for championship.

I hope walsh isnt injured,or lehane for championship.

The fact Mike is mentioning it's significant, could it be a dreaded cruciate for Lehane.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

Jeez, hopefully it's not a cruciate. It's the new modern scourge of intercounty gaa. I hope Gooch hasn't done something similar

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Horse84

Not good. I didn't see lehane get injured at all did it look bad at the time?

The other one it could be is Luke O'Farrell, he no more seemed to be on when he was brought back off again due to injury.

I didn't see Lehane getting injured and was surprised to see him going off, I thought he walked off unaided.

Walsh was the only other one to go off, unless something happened at the end of the game.

• Advertisement

Yeah Mike is normally on the ball however i wouldnt panic yet,two week7 ago he had the same with shiedlsy ,and he was out for just a few weeks.

O farell would be a huge loss but we have options pa o callaghan is still being monitored,if he gets hes back sorted he will join up.

Lehane and walsh with the footballers also would be de devasting losses.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭denishurley

O'Farrell (shoulder) is the most serious injury

What's the story with Paudie O'Sullivan. I know he had to have a second operation, any idea when he could come back?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Archer3083 wrote: »
    What's the story with Paudie O'Sullivan. I know he had to have a second operation, any idea when he could come back?

Out for the league, hopeful to be fit to face Waterford on May 25th

Out for the league, hopeful to be fit to face Waterford on May 25th
    Well that's a positive. If Farrell or Lehane are long term injuries then at least Paudie O'Sullivan will be available for championship. Let's hope all 3 are fit though!

Ah lads, do ye really expect him to play any part in the munster championship having been out the past year with a badly broken leg, that didnt heal properly and needed another operation... And if he does, will he be anywhere near the same player? I hope im wrong, but i just cant see it.

Well you wouldn't expect him to be as potent or as sharp, but if he's fit, then at least he's an option. I think that Lehane would be a bigger loss than O'Farrell. He's a bit lightweight and he's not a prolific scorer.

Connorzee wrote: »
    Ah lads, do ye really expect him to play any part in the munster championship having been out the past year with a badly broken leg, that didnt heal properly and needed another operation... And if he does, will he be anywhere near the same player? I hope im wrong, but i just cant see it.

Yeah, I would. Operation was at the start of December, 8mm gap to be closed between the bone where it broke. I would expect him back, maybe not starting but most certainly training at that stage.

Paudie was heavily active with the set up last year and the squad even though he wasn't able to play. I wouldn't know the dynamics of the Cork dressing room, but it's possible that a player like Paudie could have a big impact in the dressing room. Sometimes you need that influence even if the player isn't able to start

• Advertisement

They need him around the place - he is now one of the older players who would be expected to take on a leadership role within the team

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement