Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

We could thank davy yet,fraggie our wonderful player ,captain ,underrated super in the 2004 final coul learn a lot under hes wing.:|
    Absolutely. I don't think you can ever gain enough experience. And you never stop learning. In fact the best managers continually adapt. They just seem to have a timeless quality. JBM was out of intercounty management for a decade roughly, and within 2 years Cork are All-Ireland finalists. I'm a little worried about Cody this year. All the commentary seems to suggest that Cody won't change style but might change personnel. Interesting to see what happens. Is this a bluff or is Cody hell bent on going down in flames, cos if it didn't work last year, I can't see it working this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,145 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

When will Cody retire do ye think?

I be honest I can see him there for another 4-5 years.

When will Cody retire do ye think?

I be honest I can see him there for another 4-5 years.
    I think Cody lives and breathes hurling. Seemingly he travels all over the country watching all sorts of games from underage to juniors to senior county teams. He reminds me a bit of Bill Shankly. Obviously I don't remember Bill Shankly but by all accounts after he retired he kept coming in to the training grounds and the Liverpool board had to order him to stay away. I think the Kilkenny county board will never get rid of Cody. He'll have to retire himself. Not even heart surgery put him off last year. He's a school principal so he's in a better position to dedicate more hours than other managers. If Kilkenny fail this year he might consider retirement, but I doubt it. It really is an impossible question to answer. I'm stumped! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

This is what i heard is meant to be the Cork team for saturday

Mccarthy
    O neill
    Mcdonnell
    Spillane
    Mcloughlin
    Joyce
    Egan
    Haughney
    Ellis
    Harnedy
    Coughlan
    Sullivan
    Cadogan
    Cronin
    Horgan
    Whether its true we shall see later

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Horse84

Ellis at midfield? God help us all. Any update on lehane's injury?

• Advertisement

Horse84 wrote: »

Could be wrong but i heard it from a reliabe scource.

He should be fine for the fitzgibbon.

Hyland is meant to be very doubtful for laois.

Horse84 wrote: »

Ellis meant to be there

Strange call if true

Cork team named same as what i had,but ellis at 5,lorchan at 8in just a positional change.

I wouldnt be suprised if lorchan played a part at 5.

That cork team as i posted here earlier is exaclty the same 15 bar ellis at 5 instead of 8 ,lorchan at 8 instead of 5.
    A strong team,on paper very strong,and if they make two positional changes its bang on the money and i would expect a big win saturday.
    Over all very happy with it.Credit the management.

Mccarthy has to get game time,considering he  plays at 12 with ballymartle ,and is only in goal with Ucc.He needs game as a goalie,but a super ,super keeper,hes awesome save against walter walsh for ucc v ucd,was unreal.He is vocal and a leader,hence captain ucc last year.Great puckouts,super free taker and penalty taker,so ideal replacement for Nash,hes clone.Won't weaken the team in the slightest.

O neill,super,all star corner back.

Mcdonnell,fast,tenacious bags of hurling is not a 3, but i think he will swap before or during the game with spillane who is a 3,in every word,and isnt at home at 2 or 4 as the u21 game uu  tipp proved last year.

He has played as 10/12 for castleyons and lorded it in the air ,hes strong in that regard,fast,loads of hurling,bullish and has controlled agression in buckets.Likes hes brother Anthony v ucc today,has a great work ethic,and is brave.

He is very unlucky with injury.Doing hes leaving cert,was good enough to start at 3 ,against tipp in u21 ,in 2012,but got injured after a few minutes,injured last year also,and then got a start in morris park in a challenge 3 weeks ago,against tippereary ,and started okay,but got a broken nose and had to off ,as he had got it in a challenge with Jason Forde of tippereary,that superb talent for Tippereary.

Our best option for 3,and he is at home at 3 or 6.superb as a sub for ucc v sarsfields in the drawn game,he held Cussen,and also during the week for Ucc he curbed walter walsh when he came on and had a big influence in the game,if ucc are to retain the Cup,has to start.

Ellis gets a second game,the only aera that concerns me,hes deliveres of ball must be better.He may do fine saturday,but he will hardly be tested defence wise ,in that the same way limerick did.Pj scully may if hes on him test him,but the laois forwards wont have much ball to work with.

Jocey,got i so so excited ,when saw him at 6,feared he would be made the scape goat.Jbm saw what i said last week,before and after the game ,he couldnt be a top gun,with two wing men that couldnt fly last week.Now he has at least one either side ,and with Egan superb last week ,and for ucd during the week,(all egan has to do is be consistent)for the 1st time since 2013 in Knowlan park,this unit has ABILITY AND PURPOSE INDIVALUITY and as a UNIT.Give them time,joyce and egan.

Haughney ,deserves the start,fast hands,pacey,can score from distance,wont be really tested in terms of attuide or toughness though.I would least expect him to hurl a lot of ball and get two points.

Lorchan,i said during the week for jbm to play him at 5,and let the rest takes care of itself,fast(not fast enough for 9,lacks a yard of pace)tenacious,great deliveres,a super strike of the ball,a leader and awesome reading and sweeping abilty.Leave him there for a bit to blend haugheny in,i suppose we need hes expierence there ,but drop him to 5 in the second half and bring kearney or o shea on then.
    ad,maybee by scully.

Harnedy is super,great cameo and point as a sub for ucc,the man is an all star,and hes aerial ability,pace,strong and direct running will cause laois huge problems and he is there to create and score goas,and expect him at the edge of the square for a bit.

Coughlan,is fine and has pace,touch and scoring ,from distance,tenacious and aggressive, and he will swap and rotate with harnedy and sullivan.

Super call,starting michael sullivan,he will win aerial ball,help midfield and defence,super work ethic ,and stamina,pace and the direct running to break the tackle ,he will cause them problems.
    All 3,unlike last weeks unit can win there own ball and are very fast and mobile.

Cadogan,two points last week and 3 for ucc,tuesday is flying it,expebjt if he gets ball a couple of points and at least one goal.Super touch and hunger.The Real deal.

Captain fantastic,hes best position as he lacks the pace for 8 and 12,but he will give this line a real presence,can win ball,lay it off and score goals and points,and given time to grow at 14,could be a real asset for us,so good under the high ball,a nightmare for any full back ,and if you double mark him,you gain also as he leaves space for the corner forwards or half forwards.

Played against Galway 2012,last ten minutes in the semifinal,could have got two goals,went in there in the league play off,and got a goal and won some great ball and in last years replay won a load of ball at 14.great that management realise we have better options at 10,11,12,and 14 now he lost the pace is hes best positiomw.

Horgan is superb,a true all star,should get like all the forwards more ball ,as our half back line should get a foothold in the game,and dominate that our forwards get ball after ball to score,and horgan like cronin and cadogan must go for goals and they have the abilty and intent in that line to get at least 4.

Forwards must be told ,place your shots rather than break the net,as Eoin reilly is a super agile keeper,such he is keeping rowlands another star out of the team.Cummins of tipp has been up in laois the last while working with o reilly and rates him very highely,and cummins has beem doing defence drills with them,while thdm great Ger cunningham,ul and newtownsandrum fame (all ireland club champions)is doing great work with cheddar plunkett and there making real progress at underage ,and there time will come but its too early for saturday.and and after the europhia of a 1st win in tullamore in 60 years a huge ask for a team that will likely be missing Hyland there marquee player (davy was a huge fan at lit with him )and has so many young lads ,talents like joe campion,dwane plalmer ,to get that same intenisty in a 6 day turnaround against Cork that had a full week to prepare.Our lads are sharp from the fitzgibbon cup games during the week and there touch is in.Pj scully is a good player ,played with ul in the waterford crystal,u21 this year.
    Laois in a few years could have a very good minor team as they beat cork u15 ,a highely rated team last year 4-18 to 2-16 with 4-14 coming from play for Laois .That cork team is u16 now under the guidance of the Rock .

Normally i wouldnt want cork to get a big win against laois but we have no choice over the shambles of last week to score as much as we can and concede as little as possible.

Jbm deserves credit for picking that team and overall bar one or two calls,o shea,moylan and murphy you cant argue with the replacements.
    Except at 5,but look give ellis this game,and time will tell.I hope he does play well.
    A great manager learns from mistakes and if spillane goes to 3,then he were soild at 3 and 6 and 11 and 14.real abilty and purpose in every unit.With cahalane,o shea,murphy,moylan ,lawton,kearney,keane as subs its a very strong bench.

On a side note,eammon brosnan of meelin a likey starter for Cork intermediates this year is out for a while,he done hes cruciate.Poor lad,i wish him nothing but the best in he's recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

Didnt he do that last year as well? (brosnan that is)..

Also any report from the UCC Fresher game today TTM1?

• Advertisement

Connorzee wrote: »
    Didnt he do that last year as well? (brosnan that is)..

Also any report from the UCC Fresher game today TTM1?

Xeah 2nd time awful injury

In the fitzgibbon cup threads teams and a report

What u make ucc v maynooth?

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

I think Maynooth will have too much for them, for what intercounty players UCC have, a lot of them are unproven at intercounty level. UUJ to win it out however.

Connorzee wrote: »
    I think Maynooth will have too much for them, for what intercounty players UCC have, a lot of them are unproven at intercounty level. UUJ to win it out however.

I hate to agree ,but you may be right.

When ucc team named?if they pick the best team they could win it.

What you make that cork team hurling?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Blue Magic

Ellis at 5. Ffs lads!

Godo to see Jamie C back and Haugney getting run at midfield. It's very irrelevant when beating Laois by 15-30 points

Threw a fiver double on Cork -9 points and Limerick -10 with PP this morning. Works out about just shade over 11/4

Threw a fiver double on Cork -9 points and Limerick -10 with PP this morning. Works out about just shade over 11/4
    I hope it comes off for you. It's a pretty decent price, and pretty good bet.

Best of luck to Ucc today at 3.30 in the sigerson against a real threat in maynooth.

Not at it ,hopefully they make the final and its on tg4 tomorrow.
    Best of luck kew tour that bet,im suprised antrim are shorter than laois in the handicap.

Cork if the heads are up for it should be winning by 15 points with the forwards we have

A lot of that laois team is u21 and minor.

Were complelty different than offaly.

The game id worry about is Antrim in that ,Limerick have no dowling,mulchay and that front 6 has no main man bar tobin.

If antrim are up for it,limerick will struggle to get scores.
    I intend to go that game on the sunday in limerick.

Archer3083 wrote: »
    I hope it comes off for you. It's a pretty decent price, and pretty good bet.

Cheers

Not huge gambler but just thought it looks good. Limerick at home I would expect should have too much for Antrim. Would be surprised if both were losers anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

Just a note though Limerick @ -10 points, last years league Limerick played:
    Home:
    Antrim won by 3 points
    Carlow won by 3 points
    Wexford Draw
    Away:
    Dublin won by 6 points
    Offaly won by 4 points

They don't seem to have a record of running up a score especially the Antrim & Carlow games.

But I think after the draw last week both Cork & Limerick will be aware that running up big scores could be vital to winning the league...

Cheers

Not huge gambler but just thought it looks good. Limerick at home I would expect should have too much for Antrim. Would be surprised if both were losers anyway

There is no chance of them loosing,they just dont have the fowards in the team picked unless antrim d6nt perform unlikely with kevin ryan in charge.

• Advertisement

There is no chance of them loosing,they just dont have the fowards in the team picked unless antrim d6nt perform unlikely with kevin ryan in charge.

Sorry I meant losing in the handicap.

Christ if 1 of us gets beat to Antrim or Laois we might as well forget the summer:pac:

Just a note though Limerick @ -10 points, last years league Limerick played:
    Home:
    Antrim won by 3 points
    Carlow won by 3 points
    Wexford Draw
    Away:
    Dublin won by 6 points
    Offaly won by 4 points

They don't seem to have a record of running up a score especially the Antrim & Carlow games.

But I think after the draw last week both Cork & Limerick will be aware that running up big scores could be vital to winning the league...

Good point.

Thats kinda the only reason I backed it. Is because Scoring difference could be difference now.

Hence why I think Cork and Limerick will be taking these games bit more serious then before and wont want hold back too much

Good point.

Thats kinda the only reason I backed it. Is because Scoring difference could be difference now.

Hence why I think Cork and Limerick will be taking these games bit more serious then before and wont want hold back too much
    Exactly. Neither Limerick nor Cork can afford to take the league lightly anymore. The draw last Saturday means that both teams will be 100% serious about every game. Incidentally, I wonder what the winning margins have been in championship over the last couple of years. I seem to remember Antrim getting hammered a couple of times by either Cork or Limerick. Sure, the bet will make both games more interesting! :)

Ucc beat maynooth by 1-14 to 12.
    Geaney with the goal,quinlan and cronin sent off.Cronin straight red.

They say quinlan got a black then a red

Is he out for the final,live tg4 tommorrow.

I wasnt at the match but the closest best was the supeerb live regular min,by min updates by live gaelic.

FAO,KEANE 2097
    I Know you are involved with that web site,fair play for the best and fastest updates around.

And many thanks.

I will be glued to it for the next game at 5.30

I said ucc could win but feared the team selection.

Morgan shrewd out,got it bang on.

Great for cork football.

Well done UCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Tbh, I'd be shocked if we beat Antrim by 10+. We hammered them in the Championship, but in the league, the games have tended to be close. We have to rack up high scores but we simply don't have the forwards in the next game.

We'll probably win, but it will be down to the strength of our backs.

http://www.gaa.ie/gaa-news-and-videos/daily-news/2/2102141603-ucc-v-maynooth-report/
    Jordastown beating ucd handy,no test,should be fresher as ucc had tougher game,without cronin

Is a huge test of the panel

How does black card and red work?
    Is quinlan out for the next match does anyone know please

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

How does black card and red work?
    Is quinlan out for the next match does anyone know please

I don't think he is suspended now:
    At All Other Levels:
    2 x Double Yellows within 48 weeks = 2 week suspension
    2 x Yellow followed by a Black Card within 48 weeks = 2 week suspension
    OR
    A combination of both = 2 week suspension
    At all levels except senior inter-county league and championship.

From the GAA

But Cronin was straight red, so I assume he's out.

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    I don't think he is suspended now:

From the GAA

But Cronin was straight red, so I assume he's out.

Thank you v much ladm

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I wasnt at the match but the closest best was the supeerb live regular min,by min updates by live gaelic.

FAO,KEANE 2097
    I Know you are involved with that web site,fair play for the best and fastest updates around.

And many thanks.

I will be glued to it for the next game at 5.30

Thank you very much indeed for the feedback. It's actually a brand new set up we have for scores this season, seems to be going down very well so far. Still have a few improvements in mind for it as well.

• Advertisement

Justice done
    Nash motiom wont even be debated
    Withdrawn tonight.Justice for nash

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement