Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,145 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

If Nash was from any other county this would not have been a issue. Just sore grapes from few other counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

Role on the goals!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

If Nash was from any other county this would not have been a issue. Just sore grapes from few other counties.

I disagree, it's an accident waiting to happen, someone else will scoop the ball even higher up and further in than Nash does.

Rightwing wrote: »
    I disagree, it's an accident waiting to happen, someone else will scoop the ball even higher up and further in than Nash does.

What you mean accident?

I highly doubt it... Ive seen many a fella try it, including myself. Extremely difficult to get even to Nash's closeness.

• Advertisement

What you mean accident?

As in a player get smashed into the head with the sliothar, won't be enough time or space to see it.
    Connorzee wrote: »
    I highly doubt it... Ive seen many a fella try it, including myself. Extremely difficult to get even to Nash's closeness.

They'll practice & practice it.

As in a player get smashed into the head with the sliothar, won't be enough time or space to see it.

Should be more worried about lads trying hitting players with their Hurls trying to seriously hurt players, along with guys poking Hurls into players Ribs.

Yet we focus on a 1 player instead.

Should be more worried about lads trying hitting players with their Hurls trying to seriously hurt players, along with guys poking Hurls into players Ribs.

Yet we focus on a 1 player instead.

No, it's not 1 player, I think a lot will copy it.

No, it's not 1 player, I think a lot will copy it.

Still far bigger issues in the game to worry about.

Far more...

Still far bigger issues in the game to worry about.

Far more...

Such as...

• Advertisement

Such as...

The list I mentioned above for starters. Yet 1 player gets more attention then many hurlers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Anthony Nash has two all stars ,and yet only an all ireland could match the eurphoia and jubiltation ,privately he must be feelin,in this tirade and wtich hunt against him by Noel Skehan.Skehan you may have 9 lives,but he who laughs the last,laughs the longest.

A victory for hurling.People say frank pulled the rabbit out of the hat,and thats understanable knee jerk reaction ,as frank has used many get out of jail cards in hes time and will do in the future.

I doubt he had much to do with tonight,its not inconceabldm the topp brass realised it was a personal attack on one of the games greatest ever keepers and that was wrong ,just wrong and justice was done.The league showed frank doesnt always get hes own way,id say he hadnt much influence over it .

Nash hasnt woken up one morning,picked up a hurley and done what he done just in an instance,any kanturk man will tell you he spent hours,day after day perfecting that,has always had that skill the last 6 years,just came to the public eye as he played for cork since 2012.when i first posted here,i advocated he take them instead of horgan,as we all knew what he could dog

Nobody had a problem then.

And a lot of,clare men,limerick in particular bruree,bruff,kilmallock,right wing ,as that crowd go to a lot of cork club games in north cork.
    Not a whisper bout safety then,until now.Kilkenny men would have been aware of nash from intermediate level.

Limerick ffs,donk kid yourself for years,tj ryan,lucey ,carroll,terence kenny ,houinhan ,all hit hard and lived well on edge in past times,if i was to name every dangerous tackke id have to open a new thread.To hear some limerick men ,like you ,plead safety is hard not to take with a pinch of salt.At least limerick like tipp,immense credit were going to back Cork.

That happens and limerick have hit everything that moved,and if it didnt made it move.
    Im not being disresptful to limerick and have no problem with them ,as Cork like every other team are no angels.My point is open play has always and will be a battle to keep as clean as possible in the game as it evolves.

But dont play the victims.Last week wayne mac ,dangerolously hit ,walsh a strong man that could barely walk after it ,and was extremely shaken for at least two days i believe.That wasnt on.

Referring is still a majior problem at times and a review must be looked at,such is the speed now maybee have two referees or video referees.Im not saying either is the answer but thats worth have a meanigful debate than waste time with nash motion.

When has nash ever??Ever caused harm to a player.I asked that ? On the other thread ,and no one could answer bar it may happen in the future.

A small risk?like anything in life that doesnt mean you stop doing it it.

You could go in the morning and touch wood it wouldnt happen,but have much greater risk of cruchiate injuries even training,than nash causing injury in a game.

There is no 100 per cent safety guarantee in any sport,elite level always carrys a risk like everything in life,its how singinficant it is that countys.

History and time when players havent had helmets never got many injuries ,and Nash has a unblemished record.

Tighten up the rules but its fine the way it is.

What more could they do in the game than waste time on a wtichunt against one Man that took time,dedication ,and practice.practice,practice to develop,nourish and exceute this skill is

Develop hurling in westmeath,antrim,laois,carlow etc.Work is being done but they need more help and money.

Protect and minimize the loss of key players to the afl

Do more research and prevention in to the curse of the cruciate problem that is decimating and becoming an epidmedic in club games,intercounty,in every county in ireland as its widespread in every county.

A review of training and surface of ptiches as new young players,mark o connor etc and 3 wexford lads where teengers have hip opertains so young.

Depressim widely prevalent in sport and help gaa players fill that void after sport.

Bring ladies football and camoige under the one wing.Work has started more must be done.

Help rural clubs and others in the fight against immigration which is often swept under the carpet.Four weeks ago Pheasant island a super play by fiona looneny was on in rte ,made in a dissuesed pub in Thurles about how the home of hurlimg has huge problems with immgration where the wonderful honest,tipp dual star ,and u21 captain,great player Niall o meara spoke about how thurles lost loads of players abroad due to immigration and the burden on clubs.

A lot of things can be focused on than waste time on such nonense with nash motion.

He was a gentleman throughout the fiacsco ,and never got involved ,just focused on hes own gane.He bided and waited hes time.

They say God is good to those that wait.Certainly true tonight.

A great result for Hurling in general,and lets celbebrate hes artistry that have a pathetic agenda against it.

Ucc appealing alan cronin red?in the morning.
    Wasnt there cant comment ,anyone know more?
    In this case i wouldnt be suprised if frank was used to defend cronin.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Blue Magic

Justice done
    Nash motiom wont even be debated
    Withdrawn tonight.Justice for nash

Hats off to Prionsias :D

LAOIS TEAM V CORK 2014-02-21 09:32:00
    Laois manager Seamas Plunkett has named his starting 15 for tomorrow's Allianz Hurling League Roinn 1B game with Cork

1. Eoin Reilly (St Lazerian's Abbeyleix)
    2. John A Delaney (Clough Ballacolla)
    3. Brian Campion (Rathdowney-Errill)
    4. Darren Maher (Clough Ballacolla)
    5. Joe Fitzpatrick (Rathdowney-Errill)
    6. Matthew Whelan (Borris-in-Ossory-Kilcotton) (C)
    7. Conor Dunne (The Harps)
    8. Patrick Whelan (Borris-in-Ossory-Kilcotton)
    9. Ciaran Collier (Camross)
    10. John Purcell (Rathdowney-Errill)
    11. Willie Hyland (Clough Ballacolla)
    12. Stephen Maher (Clough Ballacolla)
    13. Neil Foyle (Borris-in-Ossory-Kilcotton)
    14. Charles Dywer Ballinakiltk
    15. Tommy Fitzgerald (Portlaoise)

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SHtJS9E9cmE&feature=youtu.be

Link of tg4 for the laois offaly game last week

You go down the link also and you see offaly v laois u21 2013,laois lost by a point.

That there team named.I wouldnt be suprised if changes are made,hyland has a broken thumb ,i was told thursday,so i wouldnt be suprised to see palmer start.Hes a huge talent,and at 11 ,is around midfield.Watching the highlights they play with a sweeper,patrick whelan drops deep ,behind the half back line and ahead of full back,and Matthew whelan who played for ul in fitzgibbon years ago is superat 6,even talking to a ul man involved with the team in the freshers ul v ucc i was at,he was very much rated with ul,has great presence and leadership.

Coughlan should and will roam ,i would say but out to midfield like v kilkenney in thurles and hes long scoring poins are a huge advantage.He has to drag whelan out and also interchanging with harnedy who can also score is the best way to draw them out.Haughney can score from distance.
    Darren Maher at corner back is teaching at st facthnas skibbereen and coached the current team in todays corn ui mhuiri quater final against Dls macroom.
    Michael sul wouldnt be great scoring wise as the other two but all three must run at that half back line and draw the sweeper patrick whelan out with direct running,and short crisy passing as if its worked to the corners then there is huge scoring inside.

They play with the sweeper and i saw how ul had great problems breaking that down ,wednesday and cork also against clare.

Laois have Hyland if he plays and palmer but there no tony kellys.
    Joe campion a minor is a good talent and sub,but o neill ,spilane or mcdonnell have too much expierence and the hurling ,should have enough for him.

Laois should be easier to break down.Cork should have a spare man at 3,for most of the game,so Do Not hit ball after ball down on that defence.Mcdonnell ,in particular with pace he has must do what he done in the replay carry ball at pace out of defence,play him in the corner and run and run ,do what he does best.short tappy ball between players ,play the laois system and clare system,and as daithi reagan said we have the lads to do that.

Then at times when they do try and counter that and go orthdox ,then you use cronin,leave him on the edge of the square and tell him dont move from that aera.

Laois have to watch him but if ,they crowd that middle third there will be times when you hit fast ball in to cronin.
    Cadogan should stay inside in a two man full forward line ,and horgan should roam everywhere,left right,half forward etc ,and delaney while hes rated as met nothing like horgan,and theres a world of difference between holding others and holding horgan.

Cork have failed to use the extra man in 2012.and last week.
    But with 15 v 15 as against clare so many times last year will have an extra man in defence and we Must do what we failed so many times to do,be cute,controlled and play a possesion game.

Laois v offaly ,trademarks so early of ger cunningham ul,style short passing,possesion game with Newtown 2004,was clearly in evidence ,last week.

He have no doubt knows that to way to beat cork.If you cant beat them join them.Cork cant beat like ul and many other teams have failed ,in beating it orthdox 15 v 15.
    Yes jbm wants freedom of hurling,but tradition and old style ways wont beat ,professional,well coached systems where space that cork like and crave is non existent.

Jbm is a shrewd tactian when he wants to be,he must accept tactis is a huge part to beat teams with a sweeper now.

Purcell as i saw in the u21 game and senior on tg4,both v offaly,and that u21 game lost by a point to an avergage offaly ,and in particular stephen maher at 12 can score.

Maher in particular could be a huge problem for ellis if hes on him or if pj scully plays,both have pace and hurling that could trouble ellis.

Also ellis deliveres have to be accurate.Thats why lorchan would have been great at 5,he is great reader ,and he has crisp short passing but he can break the tackle at half back and would be great in defence and attack .Im not sure ellis is as good in both attack or defence .Lorchan could still play as a sweeper though ,dropping back from midfield to sweep up ball ,and do a davy fitz role as lit and clare do with there midfielder to deprive teams of space.

Fitzgeard is meant to be a great talent ,but i couldnt see him getting much of o neill in the corner.

The handicap is -11 ,but if cork play with intensity,focus,use there heads on both the sideline and on the field,they have too much hurling for them and should get a big score,yes what i saw in that u21 game and in the senior v offaly,touch was impressive but offaly arent exactly a top four team.

We should be yards faster in speed of mind,speed of legs and speed of hurling,and once the heads are right and we play a varied game,im convinced we can beat the handicap spread of 11 points.

Cork must deliver and have no excuse not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

FFS people have been getting hit with sloitars in the head point blank for decades. What is this nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Indie.

Corn ui Mhuiri on today in balineen @1:30 afaik.

Macroom won an earlier meeting this year in the sim cox but think this should be too close to call.

Darren Maher at 4 for Laois hurlers tonight is a teacher in St facthnas skibbereen and has taken helped train them with colman o driscoll and pat maccarthy.He hardly will be in ballieen and make it up to laois at 6,or maybee he will.

An interesting connection there.

Facthnas won the last 3,2012 q final 1-12 to 1-2.,2013 q final 1-8 to 1-7 and the simcox in November 1-11 to 8.

Dls are huge favourites but in a local derby at schools level the underdog has a huge chance and after being beaten in the last tussles hunger wont be a problem for facthnas and michely hurley ,could win the match if he gets ball ,and also leonard also.

The key is peter kelliher.If he lords the middle,i except that to be so congested with traffic ,a pair of traffic lights wouldnt go astray there,he will deprive hurley of ball and and also create go forward ball for foley,moyinhan inside to get scores.

Kelliher at centre back is a good player also.Macroo hadnt the heads right for the simcox final and lost,if its the same today they will loose.

Very hard to call,but i would say macroom with dunnes expierence on the line and better team ,should edge it.

I wont make it,go to the harty cup final in the gaelic grounds then on to Laois.

Best of luck to ucc tonight against uuj sigerson cup final tg4 live 6.45,a ba**s it clashes with the hurling.Lets hope that they win there 21st title and Paul Geaney becomes the 20th kerry man on behalf of hes team to do so.

I mean macroom won the last 3,my error.

Are you heading to Portlaoise TTM1? Hoping to get to it myself. Easier these days living in KK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Horse84

I'll be in portlaoise myself. I can't remember the last time I was at the that ground. I remember it being pretty good. Expecting a hungry performance now, need something to erase that cluster **** against limerick from my memory.

Harty cup final 1st in the gaelic grounds should be an epic,slight want for ard scoil to win and win dr croke cup also,cork man fergal lyons with them,but wouldnt be grude doon,at all all.

Want to check out some of the talent that cork could face in june in the minor semifinal .

Then on to laois ,and must check out that fantastic live gaelic for updates sigerson.Lads have a look at it for live updates,much faster than cork one.

Its my new best friend today.Im telling all my mates about it ,for tonight ,that are at the hurling.

Travelling with two limerick lads,that are obivously shouting for laois.

At u21 final years ago,lovely ptich,and lovely people ,and motorway huge help.What a day for gaa on and off the field,and im a big rubgy fan but so much on with the gaa,i wont have time to even think about ireland v england not to mind watch it.

I be up half the night watching sigerson and the rubgy im recording.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Look lad i don't know what county your from but tell your backs to tackle properly and then there won't be a problem!For all the talk about health and safety it was cynical fouling by the Clare backs that to the 5 scoring chances for Anthony Nash over the course of both all ireland finals.Will we ban the use of hurleys altogether?I think it's great that a motion proposing that cynical play be rewarded is dismissed.However this is not over yet you can be sure that before we play a match the opposition camp will be saying things like were sure the referee will keep an eye on Anthony Nash etc to the media.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Anthony Nash has two all stars ,and yet only an all ireland could match the eurphoia and jubiltation ,privately he must be feelin,in this tirade and wtich hunt against him by Noel Skehan.Skehan you may have 9 lives,but he who laughs the last,laughs the longest.

A victory for hurling.People say frank pulled the rabbit out of the hat,and thats understanable knee jerk reaction ,as frank has used many get out of jail cards in hes time and will do in the future.

I doubt he had much to do with tonight,its not inconceabldm the topp brass realised it was a personal attack on one of the games greatest ever keepers and that was wrong ,just wrong and justice was done.The league showed frank doesnt always get hes own way,id say he hadnt much influence over it .

Nash hasnt woken up one morning,picked up a hurley and done what he done just in an instance,any kanturk man will tell you he spent hours,day after day perfecting that,has always had that skill the last 6 years,just came to the public eye as he played for cork since 2012.when i first posted here,i advocated he take them instead of horgan,as we all knew what he could dog

Nobody had a problem then.

And a lot of,clare men,limerick in particular bruree,bruff,kilmallock,right wing ,as that crowd go to a lot of cork club games in north cork.
    Not a whisper bout safety then,until now.Kilkenny men would have been aware of nash from intermediate level.

Limerick ffs,donk kid yourself for years,tj ryan,lucey ,carroll,terence kenny ,houinhan ,all hit hard and lived well on edge in past times,if i was to name every dangerous tackke id have to open a new thread.To hear some limerick men ,like you ,plead safety is hard not to take with a pinch of salt.At least limerick like tipp,immense credit were going to back Cork.

That happens and limerick have hit everything that moved,and if it didnt made it move.
    Im not being disresptful to limerick and have no problem with them ,as Cork like every other team are no angels.My point is open play has always and will be a battle to keep as clean as possible in the game as it evolves.

But dont play the victims.Last week wayne mac ,dangerolously hit ,walsh a strong man that could barely walk after it ,and was extremely shaken for at least two days i believe.That wasnt on.

Referring is still a majior problem at times and a review must be looked at,such is the speed now maybee have two referees or video referees.Im not saying either is the answer but thats worth have a meanigful debate than waste time with nash motion.

When has nash ever??Ever caused harm to a player.I asked that ? On the other thread ,and no one could answer bar it may happen in the future.

A small risk?like anything in life that doesnt mean you stop doing it it.

You could go in the morning and touch wood it wouldnt happen,but have much greater risk of cruchiate injuries even training,than nash causing injury in a game.

There is no 100 per cent safety guarantee in any sport,elite level always carrys a risk like everything in life,its how singinficant it is that countys.

History and time when players havent had helmets never got many injuries ,and Nash has a unblemished record.

Tighten up the rules but its fine the way it is.

What more could they do in the game than waste time on a wtichunt against one Man that took time,dedication ,and practice.practice,practice to develop,nourish and exceute this skill is

Develop hurling in westmeath,antrim,laois,carlow etc.Work is being done but they need more help and money.

Protect and minimize the loss of key players to the afl

Do more research and prevention in to the curse of the cruciate problem that is decimating and becoming an epidmedic in club games,intercounty,in every county in ireland as its widespread in every county.

A review of training and surface of ptiches as new young players,mark o connor etc and 3 wexford lads where teengers have hip opertains so young.

Depressim widely prevalent in sport and help gaa players fill that void after sport.

Bring ladies football and camoige under the one wing.Work has started more must be done.

Help rural clubs and others in the fight against immigration which is often swept under the carpet.Four weeks ago Pheasant island a super play by fiona looneny was on in rte ,made in a dissuesed pub in Thurles about how the home of hurlimg has huge problems with immgration where the wonderful honest,tipp dual star ,and u21 captain,great player Niall o meara spoke about how thurles lost loads of players abroad due to immigration and the burden on clubs.

A lot of things can be focused on than waste time on such nonense with nash motion.

He was a gentleman throughout the fiacsco ,and never got involved ,just focused on hes own gane.He bided and waited hes time.

They say God is good to those that wait.Certainly true tonight.

A great result for Hurling in general,and lets celbebrate hes artistry that have a pathetic agenda against it.

There was a lot of talk about Anthony Nash over these past few months.More than was necessary in my opinion.That post there just sums up for me how ridiculous the people engaging in this carry on were with their antics.This is a victory for hurling and a defeat for those people that wanted cynical play to be rewarded.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

Macroom up 2 with 10 gone.

Fachtnas have a very strong breeze.

Extra time im the Macroom Skib game

Ard scoil beat doon to 2-13 to 4 points.Doon went a whole 1st half without scoring from play.1 point in the second half.Yeah they had to curb ard scoil,but ard scoil had players suited to a possesion game.

Any schools game i was ever at ,always had free open hurling.Today wasnt near that at all and it wasnt for lack of talent.The "Davy pheomenon"is now widespread.
    I saw and witnessed it at ul wednesday ul v lit.A hurling team full of talent was beaten by a system.

Today doon tried to do it ,and Ard scoil quite correctly had no choice to counter shane o connell 12 playing as a sweeper.At least 10 bodies around the half back line to beyond midfield.Never saw its likes in schools before.

It was a game of chess ,than hurling.Brave,a lot of hooking blocking etc, but no spce.Reminded me of rubgy years ago ping pong ,i kick in my 22 you kick it back.War of attriton.

I have no problem with it in the game at elite,but schools level,it is hard to take.No huge wind ,and also no where like hamilton v ardscoil conditions ,so its not like it was they had to.Its a statement of intent that Hurling at every level is about tactics ,more so than ever.

Jbm ,after watching that game,must i believe do tactics as sweeper is here to stay.
    Lynch played very deep but got 3 outstanding scores from distance.

Casey was superb ,as was cian lynch winning a load of ball.
    Dean coleman ,ryan got no ball and when they did had zero space.

They went to open it up in the second half,and ard scoil just picked them of,crehan and galvin two good goals.
    Ard scoil are a very good side and they can win any type of games,battles or hurling shootouts.They have good expierence and now play the Galway team,i expect them to win it outright and i hope they do.

An intense,battle ,but both teams could have played more open hurling,but even at schools a huge emphasis on winning.

The two lynches,kevin daly ,will be a potent threat to cork in the munster minor should we meet.Daly was a sub.

Landers i didnt see him here but id be suprised if he or ring werent at it.
    Limerick schools are used to the sweeper system,and cork have no choice but to work on that,as we could face that in parts of a game should we meet.

Training must be done with sweeper in training games ,as Cork doesnt do a sweer but has to.

The rule is changed to u16 cant play intercovnty minor and u18 for club,is that next year before its enforced?

I presume it is otherwise there is a few lads that have to be cut from the panel.
    The u18 to u17 has been put of pending a review.There is no way you can change that now as like i said if so Minor is a u17 tounament it means the eugene carey tounament every septemeber in mallow ,that is going around 4 years ,that huge work has gone in to looses out.

I hope it doesnt and it stays at u18 for now.

Hard luck on fachtnas in extra time,but credit to Macroom who shaded it,i thougt it would be close but they would shade it.They did that just about.Macroom are our best chance to win it outright.

Best of luck tonight to ucc who are without cronin and to Cork hurlers in a bit.Another game ,that the sweeper system is evident.I hope cork do the same and lorchan is our sweeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Horse84

Lads they're not scanning any season tickets into the Laois game. Had this **** again at the wford league game last year. Not good enough at all. There saying all cork season ticket holders will be scanned in on Monday regardless of attendance. The gaa need to sort this out if they're going promoting season tickets.
    I'm not sure if the machine is just broke or what but I was at the stile at 6.15

• Registered Users Posts: 23 glanlea

hows de match going

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,882 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

glanlea wrote: »
    hows de match going

UP 10 v 2....UCC winning also at ht 6 v 2

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement