Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Archer3083 wrote: »
    Tipp have never been the same since Liam Sheedy left. Declan Ruth couldn't get them back to that top level. Eamonn O Shea ultimately failed last year. The manager has a big influence on teams. Would Clare have been as successful without Davy? Would KK have been as good without Cody? Would Cork have got to 3 finals, league, Munster and All-Ireland without JBM?

Spot on, apart from 1 error.

Manager is all important

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

Rightwing wrote: »
    Pressure came on them after that disgraceful showing. I think Dunne was under the impression they could just break hurleys off people.
    There's a fine line between aggression and dirty play. Some times teams cross the line. I think at times KK cross that line more often than any other team

Spot on, apart from 1 error.

Manager is all important
    I was referring to the league final in 2012. JBM has got Cork to 3 finals since he took over Cork, but you need the players and you need the manager

There's a fine line between aggression and dirty play. Some times teams cross the line. I think at times KK cross that line more often than any other team

Absolutely, they were more cunning though, instead of giving someone a smash across the head, they'd give a sneaky pull here, a belt into the fingers there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Look archer thats fair game,and your a reasonable lad,but im not posting here to win popularity contests or entertain controversy just for the sake of it.

If i did i would go on stage or audition for a reality tv show.
    I post it the harsh truths and arent go to just said ah well its not that bad when i clearly see its not.Yes i let myself open to a lot of criticism ,and do alienate my self ,but look at the end,i aint be big headed hear,and im not the voice of cork gaa ,but i do majority ,a lot of what i say stand up to scutiny and as time past being justhfied.

People thought i had a grugde against cussen,naughton,kenneally,ger fitz,counihan, ,last year ,then now its oh ,butcher,john mcloughlin,and now mark ellis.

How petty do believe think i am.I want nothing but the best for Cork gaa,and i demand high standards.
    Look at kk,taking of tommy walsh as he had a bad game.In Corks its "dare not judge lesser players"or if they are picked again and again and you judge them in games you have an agenda etc.

I think people if they were truthful,and judge my posts rather there pereception of me as a poster would know im rarely wrong,and last year i coud of went with the status quo and said all those menioned above were fine for an easy life.

I didnt,i said what needed to be said.We need more of that honesty in Cork and judge on merit,and not on profiles or reputations.

The criticism i get is water of a ducks bad,and i say what i feel is honest and no point in saying something,just cause it aint popular.

You are a geuine lad ,we dissagree at times but i know you have a good knowlege and i believe you play a bit from your earlier posts.

Everyone knows im a real,real fan of newtown hclyda,duhallow ,but i dont preach for clyda lads to be on the cork teams or naughton or for example jack herihly to be a half back with cork,as when i comes to cork i dont do club bias and judge no matter what club they are from ,all i judge is Ability and Potential in a Cork jersey.Too many fans from own clubs are biased ,barrs fans will tell you eoin keane is the next ronan curran,duhallow fans tell you ,john mcloughlin is inter county and ellis is two ,and west cork want as many on the team they can get.
    Go down to castlelyons and some not all have a belief kieran mcganm could offer cork something ,years later.

Midelton maintain Bud hartnett and Aidan ryan should start for cork.

Thats not good judgment.YOU must just on ability and attuide,club allegiance should mean nothing.

You in fairness were honest to lay your concerns re ,Michael o laoire and wasnt swayed by club bias.I do think he has potential.

• Advertisement

I was referring to the league final in 2012. JBM has got Cork to 3 finals since he took over Cork, but you need the players and you need the manager

No, your error was the Tipp manager's name. Ryan - he was useless.

Look archer thats fair game,and your a reasonable lad,but im not posting here to win popularity contests or entertain controversy just for the sake of it.

If i did i would go on stage or audition for a reality tv show.
    I post it the harsh truths and arent go to just said ah well its not that bad when i clearly see its not.Yes i let myself open to a lot of criticism ,and do alienate my self ,but look at the end,i aint be big headed hear,and im not the voice of cork gaa ,but i do majority ,a lot of what i say stand up to scutiny and as time past being justhfied.

People thought i had a grugde against cussen,naughton,kenneally,ger fitz,counihan, ,last year ,then now its oh ,butcher,john mcloughlin,and now mark ellis.

How petty do believe think i am.I want nothing but the best for Cork gaa,and i demand high standards.
    Look at kk,taking of tommy walsh as he had a bad game.In Corks its "dare not judge lesser players"or if they are picked again and again and you judge them in games you have an agenda etc.

I think people if they were truthful,and judge my posts rather there pereception of me as a poster would know im rarely wrong,and last year i coud of went with the status quo and said all those menioned above were fine for an easy life.

I didnt,i said what needed to be said.We need more of that honesty in Cork and judge on merit,and not on profiles or reputations.

The criticism i get is water of a ducks bad,and i say what i feel is honest and no point in saying something,just cause it aint popular.

You are a geuine lad ,we dissagree at times but i know you have a good knowlege and i believe you play a bit from your earlier posts.

Everyone knows im a real,real fan of newtown hclyda,duhallow ,but i dont preach for clyda lads to be on the cork teams or naughton or for example jack herihly to be a half back with cork,as when i comes to cork i dont do club bias and judge no matter what club they are from ,all i judge is Ability and Potential in a Cork jersey.Too many fans from own clubs are biased ,barrs fans will tell you eoin keane is the next ronan curran,duhallow fans tell you ,john mcloughlin is inter county and ellis is two ,and west cork want as many on the team they can get.
    Go down to castlelyons and some not all have a belief kieran mcganm could offer cork something ,years later.

Midelton maintain Bud hartnett and Aidan ryan should start for cork.

Thats not good judgment.YOU must just on ability and attuide,club allegiance should mean nothing.

You in fairness were honest to lay your concerns re ,Michael o laoire and wasnt swayed by club bias.I do think he has potential.
    Actually, now that you mention Cork's midfield options in the football, I meant to ask you about David Nation and Ian McGuire. By all accounts they had a fantastic game against Maynooth and completely snuffed out MD McCauley. That's some achievement! Are they real prospects for the future or could they even make the step up this year?

No, your error was the Tipp manager's name. Ryan - he was useless.
    You're right. I should have remembered it was Ryan, talk about the most popular name in Tipp :D

Actually, now that you mention Cork's midfield options in the football, I meant to ask you about David Nation and Ian McGuire. By all accounts they had a fantastic game against Maynooth and completely snuffed out MD McCauley. That's some achievement! Are they real prospects for the future or could they even make the step up this year?

I'm no football fan, but I think cork will dominate munster for a while, kerry are on the way down, and should have every chance of an all ireland. Better chance than the hurlers i'd say.

You're right. I should have remembered it was Ryan, talk about the most popular name in Tipp :D

You must have been reading about D Ruth recently in the paper! ;)

• Advertisement

I'm no football fan, but I think cork will dominate munster for a while, kerry are on the way down, and should have every chance of an all ireland. Better chance than the hurlers i'd say.
    It's possible. Cork definitely seem to be better positioned to dominate Munster than Kerry. It's not just the injury to Gooch, but Cork seem to have some promising new players this year. Dónal Óg Hodnett looks a real prospect. But, what I feel about Kerry is that the new players joining the panel are no where near as good as the players that are retiring. If Cork get their act together under Cuthbert and play a fast kick passing game, getting the ball to the dangerous forwards as quickly as possible, then they'll be well on their way to achieving success.

It's possible. Cork definitely seem to be better positioned to dominate Munster than Kerry. It's not just the injury to Gooch, but Cork seem to have some promising new players this year. Dónal Óg Hodnett looks a real prospect. But, what I feel about Kerry is that the new players joining the panel are no where near as good as the players that are retiring. If Cork get their act together under Cuthbert and play a fast kick passing game, getting the ball to the dangerous forwards as quickly as possible, then they'll be well on their way to achieving success.

The injury to gooch is a hammer blow to them. They wouldn't have won half the all irelands but for him, and funny thing is, for a small skinny lad that's his first injury

Comparing kilkenny wins ,and limerick is like comparing ,Gary kirby ,like galligan to dj carey and shefflin.Comparing good to great.

Kk blew teams out the gate,good teams time and again such being competive against them was a bonus.

Limerick stumbled against a cork team missing a load.Short and sweet,my point is made.

It was good win for limerick,not great success.That team has more in them.

The injury to gooch is a hammer blow to them. They wouldn't have won half the all irelands but for him, and funny thing is, for a small skinny lad that's his first injury
    He's never missed a match in championship from when he started in 2002 until this year. And he's only ever failed to start one match in all that time and that was against Antrim in 2009 in a qualifier for disciplinary reasons. It's very unfortunate but Gooch has not had that bad a time of it overall. Other players have suffered more. Colm O'Neill must be cursed.

Comparing kilkenny wins ,and limerick is like comparing ,Gary kirby ,like galligan to dj carey and shefflin.Comparing good to great.

Kk blew teams out the gate,good teams time and again such being competive against them was a bonus.

Limerick stumbled against a cork team missing a load.Short and sweet,my point is made.

It was good win for limerick,not great success.That team has more in them.

You were very critical of Allen last year on the Limk thread. Most LK fans were critical of you. But I wasn't. I said it at the time, it was 1 of the most headless things a manager could do, keep his main forwards on the bench for 50 mins. FFS. Talk about being dumb.

Where I disagree with you is, Limk won't win much. Last year was the one to do it. This year will be ultra competitive.

As Ronan o gara said Friday night,the 1st real test of ireland ,despite the Media saying we were the Real deal,was v England,as it after two games ,at home ,wasnt by any means our toughest games.They were all at home.

By exactly the same token,ist test for Cuthbhert really is against the best team in irealand outside the home comforts.

We will have a real gauge at 8.45 Saturday March the 1st.

Tuesday eveing ,when the team is picked will tell us how good a chance we have.
    As ucc proved ,and huge credit to Morgan and the team in 21st sigerson ,talent is there.

Maguire,dorman,o driscoll super,great confidence in the lead up to u21 game ,and dorman super point.
    kiely was great as a sub

Clancy,was superb also.Im not hell bent on a win,i want to see the best 15 picked and selection lessons learned from kildare and westmeath.

As Ronan o gara said Friday night,the 1st real test of ireland ,despite the Media saying we were the Real deal,was v England,as it after two games ,at home ,wasnt by any means our toughest games.They were all at home.

By exactly the same token,ist test for Cuthbhert really is against the best team in irealand outside the home comforts.

We will have a real gauge at 8.45 Saturday March the 1st.

Tuesday eveing ,when the team is picked will tell us how good a chance we have.
    As ucc proved ,and huge credit to Morgan and the team in 21st sigerson ,talent is there.

Maguire,dorman,o driscoll super,great confidence in the lead up to u21 game ,and dorman super point.
    kiely was great as a sub

Clancy,was superb also.Im not hell bent on a win,i want to see the best 15 picked and selection lessons learned from kildare and westmeath.
    The game against Dublin next Saturday will reveal a huge amount about Cork. My one worry against Dublin is that some of the players may lose their composure under pressure and revert to what they were used to for years, put the head down, solo, hand pass etc. This happened against Westmeath and Kildare in patches. Cork is still a team in development, it's natural to revert back to old habits at times. I'd love to see the best 15 on the field, executing the style of football we all want to see in Cork, fast delivery of ball to the forwards.

Maguire is a super talent,very athletic,mobile,and can move the ball at pace,and kick a ball.
    Yes hes raw,but he will improve,and Yes the Real deal.

The u21 championship when its over ,he is training with the seniors.Not a starter yet,but i wouldnt rule him out as an impact sub.Just out of minor,done the same at u21 last year.

Walsh done it,maguire has the talent.

Nation isnt up to it,had get taken of a few games.

Sean kiely a huge prospect at midfield.In a challenge ,destroyed,dublin ,and super in the sigersom.

Watched that game last night late,recorded,ucc were immense.
    Morgan owes cork football nothing.
    Mtichelstown will get better with him.

Morgan should of been Cork minor manager.Maguire is a super talent,very athletic,mobile,and can move the ball at pace,and kick a ball.

The u21 championship when its over ,he is training with the seniors.Not a starter yet,but i wouldnt rule him out as an impact sub.Just out of minor,done the same at u21 last year.

Sean kiely a huge prospect at midfield.In a challenge ,destroyed,dublin ,and super in the sigersom.

Morgan should of been Cork minor manager.

Maguire is a super talent,very athletic,mobile,and can move the ball at pace,and kick a ball.

Morgan should of been Cork minor manager.Maguire is a super talent,very athletic,mobile,and can move the ball at pace,and kick a ball.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,146 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

If I could thank your post twice I would.

Totally agree on Morgan. A Cork legend!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

A thing Limerick have struggled with for many years is a ball-winning half-forward line. Last year John Allen went to great extremes to try and rectify the problem, by playing all 3 of Breen, Ryan and Hickey there- none of whom are particularly creative or natural scorers but they work hard and can win ball.

Outside of Harnedy, do Cork really have a half-forward who can consistently win the aerial battle? Particularly if Pa Cronin is being moved inside... Aidan Walsh could be a great asset if he gets played regularly, but being a dual player isn't easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Horse84

How is bill cooper going with cit in the fitz lads? Haven't seen him play in ages. Has he any chance of playing himself into contention with cork?

They say time is a Great healer.It is,but i still am truly disgusted with Saturday night.

People Must now realise we are in div2 next year as we have given limerick a huge headstart,16 point advantage and they won't be caught.And i gurantee you,if O grady needs to bring in dowling downes for  extra artilery against wexford he will.

Yes hes giving them a break,but he done it against Cork ,and knows the vitality and essence that div 1 hurling is ,and he Wont look a gift horse in the mouse.He went for the juglar against Antrim.We should beat Offaly,and if Whelanan goes traditional,we will win handy.16 points is a huge ask .Goals,goals goals.

.Whelan is under pressure now,so he may play a sweeper.If he has any sense at all,he will deploy one,as Cork don't like teams that do.
    I want them to play one and every team we meet to play with one,as jbm has to learn the hard way,repititon of playing teams that do it ,will eventually force jbm to change tact and play the possesion game.Every Cork fan should hope Offaly play a sweeper.

The top spot is over,people need to be realistic.We won't beat Antrim by plus 16 in Antrim.Limerick will at least match our seven point win against laois,in fact limerick will relish the physicality and possesion game,and they have the better hurlers and i think they will get two goals against them.I expect a ten point win.

I cant see cork making up that 16 point margin or even more ,against offaly or wexford.We beat offaly by around 11 points in 2010 and yes there poor but 16 points is a huge ask.

Limerick will match our winning margins agains both teams or be close enough to it .Unless the league is changed next year,and i hope it is not,we are were we are,we are stuck in div 2 next year.Great for Cork hurling,playing laois,Antrim,wexford ,kerry etc.Truth is its a F**cking Nightmare.Everyone looses out,the fans,the players,the county board wont like it when they do the gate recipts and see the huge loss in revenue ,compared to last year,at the end of the year.And then to face in to more of the same in 2015.A finiancial  loss there,Cork hurling at underage I hope doesnt  suffer as ,all money is for the Field of Dreams ,and money will be taken out of other aeras to cover the loss in gate recipts.

In 2013 Cork in NHL shares got close to 38,000.In 2012 we got to the final ,we got 123, 000.
    This year i would imagine our share be lower unless we get to the final.
    Limerick had 2 thousands fans against Antrim.
    We will get a couple of thousand at double header in March 9, as footballers play Derry.Wont be huge though,as fans if money is tight will go to Cork u21 v kerry in tralee.Div 1A is parmount to success in every line.And even if you get away with it in one season,two seasons down is not good for Cork Hurling.

Very hard to improve when were not playing high quailty games the next 3 weeks.
    Dublin got beaten like waterford and kilkenny the 1st day.They rectfied themselves in game twos and that legaue after two games is competitve,as all 6 are equal on points.

Those teams are going to be miles ahead of us in the knock out stages and a huge ask if they take the quater final seriously .We if we are 2nd ,baring a miraclehplay the third team in div 1b.

Our scoring average is piss poor ,to put in to context we are level in joint third with plus seven with wexford,who have only two scoring forwards with quailty in gary moore and jack guiney.See when you break down ,its not as good as people try to portray it as.Limerick had a weak team up front us again us,and 14 men .

I can't fathom why such a great and wonderful astute manager like JBM,Said he is happy after saturday night ,and he was pleased with aspects of our performance,and automically discarded it over the weather.I said here and showed why the wind and rain argument doesnt show up.

Jbm said it was freezing cold.Thats more a discomfort for the fans rather than the players .We the fans were frozen to the bollocks ,sitting down.There moving around .Easier for them to be warm.And yes it was cold,but not extreme .

I was there ,and when i say Jim bob ryan ,and allis running at antrim i felt a sense of real despair that Cork had Harnedy,better than ryan,michael o sullivan and  coughlan as good as allis in terms of pace and running and Croinin much better than quaid,and horgan ten times better than tobin will be ever be,Cadogan equal with o brien currently ,yet we got no ball and left a golden,golden chance behind us.We had the forwards,couldnt create a goal chance,Limerick had an inferior 6,3 goals.Tom ryan who i said last year and all through this year,here and in the fitzgibbon cup thread ,is a super talent.Brave,hurl both sides,pace,can score is going to be sum partner at 9 with paul browne.
    They have a key man,that will be central to there ,running game .
    Cork think Mark ellis is the answer with Kearney.Every midfield has pace ,we go for physical presence.

Yes laois had intensity and fight.I wouldnt expect anything less with a team coached by Ger cunninghanm ul and Cheddar.

Antrim had fight in the 1st half too,but limerick took the challenge,never panicked ,and then in the second half drained every inch of life out of antrim ,by playing possession game,and picking antrim of at ease by direct running and offloading.They kept it open,broke the 1st tackle ,and then created the offload.
    You could see 6 weeks in with o grady,the precision and accuracy in handpassing.

Cork had none.They dont,i have seen it ist hand at training practice the handpass or short stick pass .

Example 1.Cadogan last point.Ellis won a ball ,jesus watching him run,he looked slow and cumbersome exactly like Cian Mac.

He then handpassed a ball.Woeful pass.It was ten yards of the target.Such that a cork player had to whip it on the ground ,to Cadogan who got a super point,vital score in 2nd half.Watch it again,people will see what i saw.Point is like so many other times in that game,corks of load in the tackle or short pass was awful in excecution.The reason it is is ,Cork simply dont practice it ,in training,as our system is hit ball to forwards ,and keep it wide,but thats hard to do with a swamped middle third.We must keep,and protect poession.

To do that requires a patience,an understanding,a focus ,and precison,you dont just walk on tnd the field ,and perform.
    Like clare and limerick ,you must start in the tranining field.Practice makes perfect,is not a worn out overused cliche,it a Fact proven time and time again.
    To practicse that style,First Cork must accept is the way to go.Thats the crux of the problen,that style is against the beliefs of jbm and crowley.Kingston isnt as adverse to it.

Before Milstreet or duhallow people plead,injustice,or i have a grudge,wake up ffs.I have huge connections in milstreet,pleaded and preaced kevin crowley is our nearest ever player in ages to a Tomas o se and in time will be a Ciaran o sullivan.Yes hes that good.I said it last year and didnt just jump on the bandwagon.Im a huge fan of john fintan daly and Ned English.It a well known fact they dont get on ,but both to me are great gaa men and managers,daly u21 winner 95, should got the Cork job over larry.Worse again,larry should got the boot after 4 years,and daly given a chance.

English should of got cork underage job,wasnt even given the time of day.
    So i have nothing against Duhallow,its clear as day ,Mark ellis isnt up to intercounty.Thats my only criticism.A hurler i judge him.

Jbm said today he was happy with Spillane ,thats good news.
    He curbed walter walsh the last day for ucc.The lad has it all.One moment four around him ,he scooped up the ball with ease,and a deliceacy,my mouth watered.
    Smallest of things if you look hard enough ,will tell you so much regards a player.Worryling he thought Ellis was Very good.Sweet jesus,even posters here said he was poor.A starter against offaly id imagine.

Other cork players messed it around in open space with a 1st touch,couldnt pick the ball.At one stage,i thought they would want a shovel and a pick axe,it seemed dug to the ground .It wasnt for the conditions,people are making a mountain out of a mole hill with such complete nonense.

Just to put this in to context,Cork v waterford last year ,like a swimming pool ,so bad the ducks wouldnt even go with in a hundred miles of the ptich.Twas a waterlog ,was putting it mildly.So much rain that day,it was actually soaking right through my oil skins and in to my underpants.

Yet cork had a good touch ,in much worse conditions.That day was a valid excuse for a poor touch.
    No such excuse saturday,in contrast it was a walk in the park.
    Laois managed the conditions perfecly.We didnt.Problem was Soley corks,f**k all to do with the weather.That awful day,Cork with a huge wind in the second half got 1-10.Against it we got 2 points.Against a wind saturday,but not as much rain,we got four points.Yet in a swamp we got two .Yes the weather was bad,but not that bad.

Also dont forget waterford crowded the defence that day as they coudnt get the ball beyond there half back line for most of that game.A lot of bunching in that aera.But Cork with nine of saturdays starting team,won a lot of very hard,dirty ball and fought like dogs and had a tenacity and will and composure to grind out the 8 point deficit for a super draw.

It is said now ,against offaly we must be ruthless.Thats it ,close the door when the horse has well and truly bolted.Its as simple as that,plug a 16 point haul against offaly,as poor as they are,thats a huge ask.Cadogan is set to start,so hes going to be way of the pace,so you have 14 men ,and go for a huge win.I said limerick was the time to be ruthless,and against laois.
    Oh no people had a view,ah its early ,still february.Now that  attuide has us now chasing our Own tail and NO margin for error in our last 3 games,.All the talk about testing new players.Limerick should have been the primary target.Win that,and scoring difference was immateratial.
    The wrong team was picked,and we are going to pay the price for that.
    We can't expierment really now .

Wexford have limerick away.I thought it was home.No way will o grady let limerick slip up.They have a sniff for promotion ,they will be ruthless now in pursit of it.

In that waterford game last year Intentsity and desire was there in abundance.That game,many have said was the day Cork turned a corner.Now that waterford side was much better than laois,and waterford has never been a happy hunting ground for cork at times.
    We got a result.
    Saturday we got a win but lost in so many departments and were bullied like lambs across the ptich.

To blame the weather as davy said sunday after the dublin game would be lazy and a poor excuse and not being honest with themseves.Cork Must be Honest.Wheel always turns a full circle.We cant bluff or make light of it and brush it off as not our fault.

Match reports  ,again glossed over and cherry picked what it wanted to see.It said cadogan,mccarthy were awesome,that they were.Totally agree.

They said haughney,the game bypassed him,rather than he went missing,like it wasnt hes fault.
    No mention of the aimless balls down on the attack or also Egan poor display or the fact we havent created a goal chance.Oh yes,do not panic.We are cork,the mushroom theory.

Lets be honest here,who are people trying to kid.I said it in the county championship,haughney i had huge concerns regard hes temparment in big game since u 21.Hurling is not the problem.

He was over shadowed by kearney in the final.Saturday was an ideal night to show and make a mark.I dont buy its hes ist game.Cadogan,deane,galvin ,etc in the football all made a mark in there 1st game.

Sullivan wasnt spectualar ,but tried hard,tackled and worked very hard.
    Haughney in complete contrast didnt want to know.This was laois not padraig walsh,buckley,lester ryan etc.

Look at them in there 1st games for kk,against top teams,got stuck in .
    Good players,show  a want and desire to get stuck in .The fact as the reports put it kindly that the game"bypassed "him says all you want to know bout him as a player.He is not what is required .

Compare haughney to Mick walsh,last year,never got a run of games.Came on as a sub against tipp,game over last minute.Out by the sideline,he blew maher out of it,with a huge shoulder.He then got the ball and rifled over.Easily he could have went through the motions,he didnt,such a hit he could have got injury ,just to make a statement he hit hard.

Haughney had 35 minutes etc,and didnt want to know.Down the years Cork hurling had too many players like that.We cant carry these players.Cody wouldnt even consider them,not to mind have them on the panel.

In realtion to  Fire Ball,cork have plenty of ball winning half forwards,harnedy,sullivan ,walshtetc.
    No half forward is going to constantly win aeraial ball with 3 men on him,that just break the ball away.
    You vary the approach.Against 15 v 15 and cork play the width of the ball,lehane,harnedy,walsh,etc could more than hold there own.Its the sweeper is the problem ,and you play in to its hands you bomb,ball after ball down to it.Corks approach play is well documentated and telegraphed at this stage.

Horse-regards Cooper he is playing well with cit,and had a great season with it Youghal.
    He is strong,a great hand ,and Unlike Cian Mac can acually run and move.Essential in the modern game.
    He was superb for cork against laois in 2011.YES laois were awful ,dire then,but he showed an intent to run at them constantly,got a goal,and made two.Got 3 points and used he pace well at midfield then centre forward,and caused matthew whelan who played saturday problems by running at him.

He was highely regarded of ,and Jbm said so and after a bad injury said they would look at him again.They didnt.He lost a bit of hurling,as he played rubgy earlier in he's career.But he shows a tremendous attuide,work rate and aggression to get stuck in ,and he's hurling is sharp enough.

Saw him in all ireland intermedate finals on a beaten cork team,with 14 men ,when ex cork senior kevin hartnett(very good player,the Buds,brother,got sent of against kilkenny and he was superb,a real presence and won lots of ball and a hand in a goal and a few points.He was terrific.

.Also got a run in the league 2011,and was impressive enough.He done okay as a sub ,against Tipp.That same game,Jamie Nagle ,in hes debut had a super game in the air .Nagle must be called up ahead of stephen white.With white,ellis,and cian maccarthy they all have had games,Cooper.Nagle must get the same chance.

Cooper is not a starter when you see who is ahead of him,but should be on the panel and is much much better than Bud Hartnett,Aidan Ryan and also Cian Maccarthy.Lawton should get a run also.Cian Mac should be dropped of the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭webels

Great report TTM1, reading some of your recent reports I sense you are a little frustrated with the state of cork hurling - this comes to mind.

fbz_e7170247ff8e9cd78f3481331c6decac.jpg

We have not won a hurling AI in 9 years. That is a famine in Cork.

I remember when we won it in 1999. It was 9 years stretch to our last one then too.

We could be waiting while yet, sadly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,882 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

We have not won a hurling AI in 9 years. That is a famine in Cork.

I remember when we won it in 1999. It was 9 years stretch to our last one then too.

We could be waiting while yet, sadly.

True, but I thought the same a year ago and yet we were a sideline into the corner away from winning it - never know.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    True, but I thought the same a year ago and yet we were a sideline into the corner away from winning it - never know.

Thats true although I would have to agree with Mullane I think Cats are going be team to beat this year.

As Cork fans if we dont win it who would ye like to see win AI?

Personally it would be Waterford or Limerick. I would preference Limerick if I had the choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Fireball07 wrote: »

Outside of Harnedy, do Cork really have a half-forward who can consistently win the aerial battle? Particularly if Pa Cronin is being moved inside... Aidan Walsh could be a great asset if he gets played regularly, but being a dual player isn't easy.

Cronin won't be moved inside...unless JBM has completely lost his mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Horse84 wrote: »
    How is bill cooper going with cit in the fitz lads? Haven't seen him play in ages. Has he any chance of playing himself into contention with cork?

Can't get his place afaik. Injury seems to have ****ed him. Wouldn't have enough hurling for JBM anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Horse84

Orizio wrote: »
    Cronin won't be moved inside...unless JBM has completely lost his mind.

Can u elaborate on that? We need a presence at 14, a fully fit match sharp Cronin has the hurling and smarts to lead that line. Cronin just isn't mobile enough for modern day midfield play and as it is we have other options at half forward so I would say jbm wouldn't be losing his mind if he was to be played there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement