Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

Maguire is a super talent,very athletic,mobile,and can move the ball at pace,and kick a ball.
    Yes hes raw,but he will improve,and Yes the Real deal.

The u21 championship when its over ,he is training with the seniors.Not a starter yet,but i wouldnt rule him out as an impact sub.Just out of minor,done the same at u21 last year.

Walsh done it,maguire has the talent.

Nation isnt up to it,had get taken of a few games.

Sean kiely a huge prospect at midfield.In a challenge ,destroyed,dublin ,and super in the sigersom.

Watched that game last night late,recorded,ucc were immense.
    Morgan owes cork football nothing.
    Mtichelstown will get better with him.

Morgan should of been Cork minor manager.Maguire is a super talent,very athletic,mobile,and can move the ball at pace,and kick a ball.
    Yes hes raw,but he will improve,and Yes the Real deal.

The u21 championship when its over ,he is training with the seniors.Not a starter yet,but i wouldnt rule him out as an impact sub.Just out of minor,done the same at u21 last year.

Walsh done it,maguire has the talent.

Nation isnt up to it,had get taken of a few games.

Sean kiely a huge prospect at midfield.In a challenge ,destroyed,dublin ,and super in the sigersom.

Watched that game last night late,recorded,ucc were immense.
    Morgan owes cork football nothing.
    Mtichelstown will get better with him.

Morgan should of been Cork minor manager.

Ya totally agree that was an inspirational performance from UCC. They showed some heart and what a team they were compared to Jordanstown. Billy is a true legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

I would agree with Horse regards Cronin at 14

I would love orizo if you explain why he isnt a 14 and is a better half forward,rather than just a one line statmement saying its mad to play him there and also state where you would play him and why?

You are oblivous to the fact jbm played him at 1 4 in the replay and he had a a good game.

Croinin peresonally i feel has even when full fit from last year ,no way near the pace for half forward.He would be eaten alive.Whdo you drop at 10 or 12..lehane no,.

Walsh will be 12 in time and has real pace,if not lawton and sullivan be much better as you must have pace as a half forward to run at defences and track back and help your midfield.

Maybee,i said in august as an 11,but only if he absoultey held hes poistion as an 11 and the likes of walsh and lehane kept wide .In that harder to double mark cronin,and while he wouldnt be the focus of all your ball ,he would in a varied approach be an option.

However im not convinced .For me 14 is great option and it is just the height of stupidity to say he shouldnt be put there ,or to judge him on the laois game when he got f*ck all ball,now i mean quailty ball,and hit the sky and p5ease god it comes back down,as that is ideal for any full back ,and they can have time to swarm the reciever.This isnt rubgy,your kick and chase ,must give your target time to get to the ball ,to reycle second phase.

A 14 is already in position to recieve the delievery.

Cronin is a huge target at 14,and can score,and lay of ball and is enough of a threat to keep the full back honest and he cant focus on sweeping for hes corner backs such is the threat he is at 14, but you must use cronin correctly and as clare legaue play off,galway 2012 last 15 semifinal and replayed all ireland final,he is a potent threat for any full back if he gets the right ball.

Has a presence,great hand ,and good hurling,yes a bit raw around the edges as a 14 need time ,and with games he would be fine.
    Pace is an essential part of the modern game and sadly he lacks that now.Look at fennelly sunday for example.

He is not a midfielder lacks the pace to track and cover the likes of ryan ,or galvin ,buckley etc.That would be madness to play him there.

Regards cooper,i suggest you go and have a look at him again,playing superb,and would be much better than cian mac,and hes hurling would be at cian level,but he has pace,and mobilty Cian simply Doesnt have that .

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

I think it makes a lot of sense for Cronin to be put at 14. He's got natural ball winning ability. He's a powerful, athletic man. He's got an eye for goal. Incidentally I think JBM switched him to 14 for the replay because of his ability to win ball. Of course you could argue that that was a bit of a failed strategy by JBM lumping too much high ball down into the forwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Horse84

Yea true that needs to be said too. If cronin is played at 14 long high ball cant be lumped down on him time and again. There was a tendency to do that when he was on the 40 and cusack continually pumped ball down on him to the point where it got repetitive. The likes of kilkenny would love that.
    By using him at 14, defenders are drawn to him allowing space for the likes of horgan. This cork team needs space, in fact it's all about space, without it it's like depriving oxygen to a fire, we die without it. How we go about creating it interests and worries me and it's partly why I've been so critical with the games I've seen so far.

Cork forwards definitely thrive on space, but there not the only team that needs space. Clare were brilliant last year largely because they were able to create space. I think someone mentioned here that John Mullane picked Kilkenny as the team to beat in 2014. He also said something interesting about the Cork and Clare games last year in the drawn final and the replay. He said that if Dublin had made it to the final, the game between them and Clare would definitely not have been as open. Space would have been restricted, and things would have been a lot tighter. So, I think it could easily be asked of Clare in 2014, how do they guarantee space for their forwards? So, Cork aren't the only team with that problem. Galway were able to create space for their forwards in 2012 against Kilkenny in the Leinster final, but had more problems later on in the subsequent All-Ireland finals. I suppose realistically, a team has to keep evolving to some extent, otherwise the opposition will find ways to counteract something new and innovative eventually. I just feel that after watching Cork so far this year. Nothing new seems to be emerging.

• Advertisement

Yea I'd agree 100% with that. Evolving is the key word there. It's a bit like man united, if u stand still you're going backwards.
    Nothing absolutely nothing that I've seen so far has suggested that cork are evolving or improving. Is it early? Yes very however the last 2 years at this stage u could def see something in the way they were playing and what they were trying to achieve.

The Cork Senior Football team to play Dublin in the Allianz League on Saturday at 7pm in Croke Park will line out as follows:

1. Ken O’Halloran (Bishopstown)
    2. Alan Cronin (Nemo Rangers)
    3. Eoin Cadogan (Douglas)
    4. Noel Galvin (Ballincollig)
    5. James Loughrey (Mallow)
    6. Conor Dorman (Bishopstown)
    7. Tomás Clancy (Fermoy)
    8. Aidan Walsh (Kanturk)
    9. Fintan Goold (Macroom)
    10. John O’Rourke (Carbery Rangers)
    11. Paul Kerrigan (Nemo Rangers)
    12. Mark Collins (Castlehaven)
    13. Daniel Goulding (Eire Óg)
    14. Brian Hurley (Castlehaven)
    15. John Hayes (Carbery Rangers)
    Subs
    16. David Hanrahan (Douglas)
    17. Kevin O’Driscoll (Tadhg MacCárthaigh)
    18. Kevin Crowley (Millstreet)
    19. John McLoughlin (Kanturk)
    20. Andrew O’Sullivan (Castletownbere)
    21. Ruairi Deane (Bantry Blues)
    22. Colm O’Driscoll (Tadhg MacCárthaigh)
    23. Barry O’Driscoll (Nemo Rangers)
    24. Colm O’Neill (Ballyclough)
    25. Cathal Vaughan (Iveleary)
    26. Dónal Óg Hodnett (O'Donovan Rossa)

Brian Cuthbert has made seven changes in personnel from the win over Kildare, and a raft of positional switches. Following his Sigerson Cup-winning performance with UCC on Saturday night, Conor Dorman takes up the centre-back position, with the returning Eoin Cadogan at full back. In the corners, John McLoughlin and the injured Tom Clancy (Clon) make way for Alan Cronin and Noel Galvin. Tomás Clancy returns from injury to replace Brian O'Driscoll in the half-back line, while Fintan Goold moves to mid-field where he partners Aidan Walsh, with both Andrew O'Sullivan and Ruairi Deane dropping to the bench. Paul Kerrigan comes in at centre forward, in place of the injured Donncha O'Connor, while John Hayes starts at corner forward, replacing Dónal Óg Hodnett.

Injury update: Jamie O'Sullivan, Damien Cahalane and Patrick Kelly continue their rehab with the medical team and all three have made huge progress in the last two weeks.
    Michael Shields is close to a return to playing after his knee injury. Tom Clancy (Clonakilty) is still recovering from the hamstring injury sustained in the Kildare game, while Donncha O'Connor picked up a muscle strain in training this week so has not been considered for this game.

Good team overall,a few slight concerns but Cork have a chance,with that team ,and at last Mcloughlin and butcher are dropped.

Hallealuiah.

The back 7 ,is full of pace,and has in the corner backs,galvin and croin,men with purgose ,intensity ,and a huge desire and skill to win the ball ahead of there men.

My fear with cronin is with ucc,hes mindset ,is too attacking,and against dublin of all teams,he must forget bout,offence a top defender first and formest most defend,he must be told by cuthbhert and cadogan at 3,do not go too far upfield,we have enough quailty in the half backs to attack.

I would prefer shields but with the injuries thats the best they could do.And both galvin and cronin have pace.

Half back line,very potent,very young,full of promise,a lack of understanding as a unit but indivually great potential and Dorman is in super form,after a superb two days with ucc ,and he is on a crest of a wave ,after a super match winning point.

Clancy and loughrey -may rotate with him,but that has loads of intelligence,guile poise and pure footballing abilty.

Walsh-automatic starter

Gould,i would have rather deane in that he must be given fair chance after a great debut ,and with walsh he would be better,and he has no momentum,where the butcher got in a row.

I can see why gould is there to bring in expierence and thats grand,However ,if he is playing poor,No Fu**king way can butcher be used.Must be deane.If sullivan is used ,its awful on deane.Start gould,but Deane ist sub

O rourke had a super debut and one of corks best placed players in last year league game in croke park,super 45 akso.Made for the modern game,suited to croker,pace,stamina ,tracks back helps midfield,and gould will have to play deep and help dorman etc until they settle so rourke is key to fill that voild with kerrigan ,and run and use the pace ,to run at dublin as there weak at half back defencesivly.

Kerrigan,fine playadr,super pace and skill,and is a link man also.
    My worry is Attuide.If its right ,he is superb,but he goes missing,he is a passenger.

Lay it on the line.Reptuations ,mean nothing,if you dont perform you wont be picked for the rest of the league and pawmel place in jepoardy.
    A senior player ,for last 5 years,No excuse ,he must lead ,if he doesnt do it saturday ,not good.Up to you Paul.

Collins fine,great link man,stamina,passing,and vision.Growing in to the role,a lovely balance in expierence,youth,pace,athleticism and pace and creativy and all 3 are scorers ,and a huge threat to dublin.

Goulding,fine must work harder,loves big games and croker,give him the ball hes fine.Must work hard of the bally.

Hurley,2-2 for Munster last week,3 points in the championship against dubs,goal and few points u21,final,awesome in cork county final ,he is a super,agile,skilful,robust player and has a wonderful talent and temparment,future all star ,no fear of him.give the man the ball.That is how simple is .He will do the rest and theres is goals against that full back line.

Now,a deep breath.The best til last.John hayes.No he isnt.

In fact probably thdm weakest link in that team ,as thats my only real issue.Full of skill ,but seriously lacks the grit,Bottle and attuide to get stuck in ,in big games,ride out a strorm ,and when The Need is Greatest,as hes 7 years proved that in Real games,not mickey mouse games he fails to perform ,so for all the talent he has ,it is not much good,as wont show or fight for the ball.

Hodnett would have been a great choice and to build on hes momentum,her work rate and athleticm,strength ,versality to rotate to 11 ,12 etc and intelligane would have been a great assets.

He is the future ,Hayes was well and truly and should be in the past.

Hayes give him 20 minutes and if he aint doing it ,whip him of,vaughan ,hodnett ,and if fit ,colm o neill may get 15 minutes.Actually croker is ideal for o neill surface wise ,and is the best ptich in ireland for a comeback.
    No cork man expects colm to hit the ground running ,and he can have ten wides or not kick a single ball,and i wont ,critise that legend one bit,from where he is coming from must be given time.

Owes cork football nothing.We the fans owe this wonerdful player everything.I may shed a tear when he comes on,i dont do emotion,but there is the rare exeception to every rule.When football lost one great player the gooch to that dreaded injury,recently,we may be about to get another great player back,from that awful injury,and he has suffered the most with it .

A good bench with vaughan,crowley,deane,vaughan and hodnett.
    Cant wait for the game.Bar hayes a good team,the strongest he could have picked ,and credit due to him,he got it right and he learned from the kildare game.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭dring

http://www.gaacork.ie/playerProfiles of the two senior panels only DoC and Brian Murphy in their 30s, next oldest Shields/Gould at 27

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

Question... In the above link from DRING, Mark Sugrue is on the football panel? Why wasnt he on the UCC sigerson team?

• Advertisement

I would definitely love to see Hodnett lining out against Dublin. He's an excellent prospect. In fact, at times he looks like the real deal right now. He reminds me so much of Colm O'Neill. They're both beautiful kickers with both feet, athletic and rangy, plenty big enough to cause defenders trouble, can win their own ball in the air, and still nimble enough to turn, twist and wriggle free from your tighter markers. Need I remind anyone of O'Neill hitting the crossbar against Donegal in the semi-final in 2012. He won his own ball in the air and beat 4 defenders and a goal keeper. Ok, he hit the bar, but jeez, what a sight! Hodnett is a bit like Cormac Costelloe, except Costelloe is more willing to run at defenders. That might be more because of the philosophy of the manager. Either player could be young footballer of the year if they had a good run in championship. Maybe I'm eulogizing too much, so apologies, but it would have been nice to see Hodnett start and play a full game against Dublin.

Horse84 wrote: »
    Yea true that needs to be said too. If cronin is played at 14 long high ball cant be lumped down on him time and again. There was a tendency to do that when he was on the 40 and cusack continually pumped ball down on him to the point where it got repetitive. The likes of kilkenny would love that.
    By using him at 14, defenders are drawn to him allowing space for the likes of horgan. This cork team needs space, in fact it's all about space, without it it's like depriving oxygen to a fire, we die without it. How we go about creating it interests and worries me and it's partly why I've been so critical with the games I've seen so far.

Splendid post,exactly my own sentiment.

And like i have always said evoultion like in life,
    The key to survival.
    Lad i must say your bang on the money lately.

In relation to horse that was a good reference to man united,and im not sure if you saw Keane on itv after the match tonight in relation to Michael carrick.

It was pricessless and typical keane,brutal honesty,said what needed to be.Made a very good goint i have said here time and again,regards a manager picking players that lack that bit of quailty.
    That you blame the players,but if there still picked the manager is the main man to blame,as every player ,no matter how limited always wants and beliefs he is good enough to play.
    Its up to the manager to be ruthless and stop picking them.

Regards carrick interview ,carrick said,united were poor,could do more ,but very lethargic,no real pain or hurt in the losrg,going through the motions.

Keane was fuming.he said it was stale,lethargic,smybolised on the field,no urgency and a case of ah a bad day ,and we will have better days.

Is it any wonder united are where they are with players with that attuide,no wonder keane was one of there greatest ever captains and still a legend to the fans.That raw honesty and hunger,second best and medicority he wont accept .
    The hairs stood on the back of my head watching him.

Cork gaa ,must have that attuide.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,146 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Kevin Crowley Millstreet on bench. How old is he. Is he still u21?

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭lukin

I have two tickets for the Dublin match that I am not using. Anyone who wants them can have them for free (I can email them). I don't know what part of the ground they are in yet but I will find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭denishurley

This year and next year

My dad knows him well. I was just wondering as I thought he was young alright.

Meant to be great talent by all accounts. Not seen much of him I will admit.

Kevin crowley the nearest talent in cork to come close to Ciaran o sullivan i have seen in the last ten yearshhas it all,glides effortessy in the ptich,football intelligence ,and guile ,poise,pace and such tremendous skill and awarness,superb for ucc freshers ,at full forward.Super striker of the ball.A super vison,at 19 a super understanding of the game and still learning.

The Real deal ,and if he is developed right has a huge future,all star potential.
    Super temparment,and work ethic.U21 last year also ,that good .
    He came on a sub,should of started ahead of tj brosnan .

Kevin crowley the nearest talent in cork to come close to Ciaran o sullivan i have seen in the last ten yearshhas it all,glides effortessy in the ptich,football intelligence ,and guile ,poise,pace and such tremendous skill and awarness,superb for ucc freshers ,at full forward.Super striker of the ball.A super vison,at 19 a super understanding of the game and still learning.

The Real deal ,and if he is developed right has a huge future,all star potential.
    Super temparment,and work ethic.U21 last year also ,that good .
    He came on a sub,should of started ahead of tj brosnan .

Good to hear.

• Advertisement

lukin wrote: »
    I have two tickets for the Dublin match that I am not using. Anyone who wants them can have them for free (I can email them). I don't know what part of the ground they are in yet but I will find out.

Just letting everyone know somebody has taken these off my hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭CorkonianRebel

lukin wrote: »
    Just letting everyone know somebody has taken these off my hands.

I hope you gave them to two Corkmen (or Corkwomen) as all support is needed! :D

I hope you gave them to two Corkmen (or Corkwomen) as all support is needed! :D

Yes I think they are from Cork:D

Any word on Brian Murphy? Is he training with the panel, retired or what? I still think there's a good bit left in him and come championship, while we have some decent corner backs, I'm not sure would many of them hold a candle to him as a man marker. One of those players that will only be missed when they're gone, a bit like Timmy mac.

Is anyone else a little excited ahead of tomorro night's game against Dublin? It's the first real test of Cuthbert and his philosophy, and it's going to be a big test of some of his new players? I can't remember the last time I've been genuinely excited about Cork football. Maybe ahead of the semi-final in 2012 against Donegal, which I convinced myself Cork were going to win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Archer3083 wrote: »
    Is anyone else a little excited ahead of tomorro night's game against Dublin? It's the first real test of Cuthbert and his philosophy, and it's going to be a big test of some of his new players? I can't remember the last time I've been genuinely excited about Cork football. Maybe ahead of the semi-final in 2012 against Donegal, which I convinced myself Cork were going to win.

by my nature, I'm a pessimist (in the sporting world) but I'm quite happy the way Cuthburt has gone about trialing players and giving them more than one or two games to prove themselves. No matter the result against Dublin, i think we have good panel that under cuthbert might turn into a very good or even great team. I thing we have a chance of coming away win, but more than likely a 2 to 4 point loss because dublin have a big panel where the guy coming in is as good the guy being left on the bench. ( and a year ahead of us in their development)
    I know some on here have said he was the boards man, and would be doing Franks bidding. I'm from Castlehaven and would know John Cleary and his family well, but I am happy to see Cuthburt develop the team and a more direct style of football. Everyone that deserves a chance on this cork team seems to be getting it, and im sure they'll be cut come championship time if they aren't up to the job.

UCC v CIT should be a good game,unique in that its the 1st time both teams travel so far to play each other.A lot of Cork players In both teams.Ucc are well coached with Cody,and Enright and you have Pat Mulchay and the brother Donal doing good work with them.
    Of Course John graniger of UCC,and Kith Ricken CIT give great support to both teams in the colleges.

It should be close ,a derby game,a lot of Cork senior lads ,Lehane,O Shea ,Harnedy,Cadogan etc v Ellis,Keane,Coughlan,Michael O'Sullivan so that is bound to get the fires burning,but if UCC pick there strongest team they should win and provided they adapt to the system CIT play which we do not know they will play yet.

Remember at College level,every team wants to win,and a there are some lads here that will never play senior,are gone from u21,and there chance of success af after college is limited to Clubs ,so both teams will take it seriously
    UCC have around 8 of last year ,so the expierence is there.CIT have 4 from 2012.

IF Cit play 15 v 15:

CIThave Stephen Murphy ,Cork u 21,superb for Blackrock at centre forward in the Cork County u21 final v Midelton.A great man in the air,he has fast hands.
    Wont give much away to Wille Griffin or Cadogan two lethal forwards in top form.

The rest of that line is weakish though, and where the problems surface Dennehy and Lawernce of Brian Dillions are fine hurlers in there own right but Shane O Donnell or Griffin is a step up in class if they get fast ball.They only have one Stephen Murphy,so if he goes to Cadogan,Griffin is free,or if is goes to Griffin,Cadogan is just too hot to handle for Lawerence.
    O Donnell,on Dennehy is a huge mismatch.They dont have options.UCC have Aherene of Limerick that could do a job as a forward sub if required.

Half back line of Ellis and Keane is strong physically but Lehane if he doesnt play 14 has too much pace,and hurling for Ellis and ,harnedy is as strong,as brave as keane,but more mobile and athletic and they should win ball there.
    IF harnedy is at 11 with lehane ,Barron compiments that line or Mccormack could do a job once its with lehane and ,harnedy, and Barron against Tippereary man butler.

CIT have an edge in 15 v 15 with Michael O Sulliivn,whos grit,strength ,snarling abilty for loose ball ,and tackling and direct running is too much for Roche or ,Murray.If fives is fit,Cormac Murphy could start thern or Rob O'shea must start there in the midfield aera.

CIT are strong at half forward in,Hammersly is a Tipp u21,good hurler,John Cronin a great man to win ball in the air ,and was cork u21 and intermedite,football also,great worker and with Bubbles,who is strong,forceful,good in the air,and fast then they will be a serious test for Paudie Prengerast and James Barry.If CIT have any sense they move Coughlan out from full forward,he hates been in the full forward line as hes running and scoring at distance would be a huge asset to CIT.Drake ,and Cooper in the inside line and O Dywer won'tdo much with 15 v .15.
    Cooper isnt a full forward.

From my take on the game as above with the match ups that UCC have an overall advantage i said,If CIT GO 15 v 15 UCC will win,and win it handy,as there half forward line is too good for CIT half backs,midfield they will at least break even and there is huge weakness inside CIt full back line and UCC have a potent full forward line to cause real damage.

CIt half forwards to break even with UCC is fine but the problem is UCC half forwards will dominate with any ball and score more against CIT half back line ,if its Lehane,and Harnedy.

Ucc full back line of Stephen Maher and Glynn have u21 exprerence with Tipp and kilkenny but if they had Colm Spillane as a 3 and move Gynn over to replace O Sullivan they would be much stronger.

CIT cant go against UCC the way i outlined.

The only way for CIT to beat UCC is a Davy Fitz sweeper system ,close down space,crowd,and then with the ball use there strong men to run and play a possesion game and they could win.Pat mulchay is a shrewd hurling man,and with Donal are well adversed to the possesion game with Newtown,they had good teachers ,in Bertie O Connor,Liam Ryan,Ger Cunningham Ul.At Newtown they beat Club teams teams in Cork,Munster and Ireland ,as yes they had 3 intercounty men,but they played a system to utilse the talent avaible.
    Mulchay brothers,i have a feeling won't mind playing against the traditonal game.

Withdraw Cooper to centre forward,beside hammesly and John Cronin ,put Coughlan in a Tony Kelly role,,play deep around he's half back line up to midfeld with Russell-get loose ball and run ,use the pace and either score or create for Bubbles inside or David Drake, in a 2 man full forward line ,who one v one is a lethal forward,and has fast hands.Played in the final v UCC against CIT a few years ago.Some man to take a side line cut.Ellis shouldnt be taking them with Drake there,a Cork minor,u21 and Intermediate player.

Michael O Sullivan could play the sweeper ,for CIT,droping back from midfield,With coughlan filling hes gap.

He has the reading to do it,vastly underated,ideal to get stuck in,and has great tackling and physical presence.With him and Ellis,Keane,Butler,the space is croweded and you make Ellis and Keane look top half backs .
    As you have a forteess ,rather than individuals.O Sullivan is ideal to run with the ball ,break the tackle out of defence and create the off load to runners in space.

If they get a foothold here and keep it tight,and limit UCC Getting ball there and overcrowd them in that Vital middle third,they could very well win ,or push UCC.The mystery is what they system they play.It would be foolish and naive to take UCC on man for man.
    If they do,there is only one winner.If they dont they have a chance.

However my basis is that Lehane,and Harnedy start in the half forward line.If they dont and it is Barron ,Mccormack ,and O Shea ,that half forward line is no where near as potent and quite average as a unit and CIT wouldnt need such a system.

In college hurling,its like minor and u21,there is no fore gone conclusion,but the LITshock win against UL,wasnt just a flukey win,they set themselves up to win,it was won on the sideline.It was a masterclass in management the way Farrell and Browne managed different sections of the ptich all during the game,and never left there spot.

UCC beat Maynooth with 13 men,a huge shock,then jordstown ,a big shock again,due To Morgan shrewdness and tactial abilty on the line in the Sigerson Cup.
    At every level,even in schools level in the harty cup final i was at ,tactics have a huge part in the game.

For that reason i expect LIt with the all star cast,Davy ,Fraggie captain in 2007,Cyril farell and jimmy Browne to out wit and outfox Bonnar.To key to beating lIT,is stop Tony Kelly,as with the sweeper system he is there main man ,attacking,scoring or creating.
    Clare are very hard to beat ,as they have lads that can play a plan A and plan B.

LIT dont have that luxury.Davys teams are great when they have an agenda ,a bee in there bonnet,to drive that intensity ,focus and hunger for every minute during a game.WIT beat them last year ,so they have the revenge factor to motivate them.

It sounds easy but its no suprise how some managements in different teams at all grades often over complicate things ,and fail to be logical.I havent seen enough of Bonnar in Managemement to convince me ,they have enough where witthal to beat LIT,who with Flaherty,O Connell,Ivers,Boyce they have players that play well in that system.
    Seanie O Brien is a huge loss but i fancy LIT ,if they have a replacement for him.
    It is a mark of Davy and Farells influence that a limited team,without there man of the match from last week,against a team that beat them last year(yes WITare missing a few)are expected to win by so many.

I hope it is LIT ,as Cork teams need expierence of beating Davys system,its here to stay,and the more players play it and against it,the more you can adapt to it and learn from it.

Senior footballers make four changes for clash with Rebels 27/02/2014

Dublin have made four changes to their starting 15 for Saturday night’s NFL Division 1 clash against Cork in Croke Park (7.0).
    Seán George resumes at full-back (following suspension) with Philly McMahon moving to corner-back and Darragh Nelson losing out from the side which defeated Westmeath last time out.
    James McCarthy will make his first appearance of the year at centre-back following injury (groin/hip) with Cian O’Sullivan now sited at midfield alongside Michael Darragh Macauley.
    In attack Bryan Cullen will start at left half-forward with Ciarán Reddin moving to full-forward in place of Eoghan O’Gara while Cormac Costello, who made his league starting debut against Kerry in Round 1 of the NFL, at left full-forward after missing the Westmeath tie owing to illness – Shane Carthy and Paul Mannion are the other players selected against the midlanders who are not selected on this occasion.

DUBLIN (SF v Cork)

1 Stephen Cluxton (Parnell’s)
    2 Philly McMahon (Ballymun Kickhams)
    3 Seán George (Ballymun Kickhams)
    4 Mick Fitzsimons (Cuala)
    5 Eric Lowndes (St Peregrine’s)
    6 James McCarthy (Ballymun Kickhams)
    7 Jonny Cooper (Na Fianna)
    8 Cian O’Sullivan (Kilmacud Crokes)
    9 Michael Darragh Macauley (Ballyboden St Enda’s)
    10 Paul Flynn (Fingallians)
    11 Ciarán Kilkenny (Castleknock)
    12 Bryan Cullen (Skerries Harps)
    13 Kevin McManamon (St Jude’s)
    14 Ciarán Reddin (Nh Maur)
    15 Cormac Costello (Whitehall Colmcille)

Delighted Dublin picking a relatively strong side but there main duo in O sullivan and mccauley at midfield,as two huge areas of Concern is corner back ,having one,and ample cover,and a midfield that holds its own.

We are going to get a great test of galvin and ,cronin against mcnenamon and costello,two very pacey forwards.We will know more about galvin and cronin tommorrow.Nobody is expecting them to hold mcneammon and costello scorless ,and Dublin are set up to attack ,but if they are limited to a few points and they win a share of 50 /50 ball ,then its a job well done.

And Walsh is a starter,what we will know is gould up to it.No excuses,since 2006 been around.This or half back is hes best positon ,if he doesnt do it ,has loads of expierence ,drop him altogther from the panel,the same rule applies to him as It does with Hayes and Kerrigan.

Was good against Kildare,must be consistent.In realtion to the point made Cuthbhert is giving everyone chances,not exactly true,laoire has got little game time ,so too deane in the last 3 games.
    Galvin i do believe as proved against kildare was a forced move when clancy got injured.Only for that ,may not have got game time.

Others have got more than enough games.Galvin must get 3 games back to back,and deane deserves to start and Must only be judged with walsh ,otherwise cuthbert is showing unwarranted and unjustifed loyal to the butcher and is not true to hes promise.

You see Walsh is hurling on the 9th,so he misses the next game with Derry.Thats why he must get a half with Walsh saturday if possible.If not in the basis of practising what he preaches ,must start against mayo with Walsh.

• Advertisement

I suppose the main reason I'm so excited about the game tomorro night is that it will tell us exactly how good Cork are at the moment. Cork is a team in development at the moment, and as rightly pointed out Dublin are a year ahead of Cork under Gavin. I think the game could be close, anything from maybe a very narrow win by Cork to maybe a 3-4 point loss. I'd be disappointed if Cork lost by any more than 4 points, but that wouldn't be the end of the world. I think Dublin have to be seen as the benchmark in football. It will be interesting to see if Cuthbert has a plan to dismantle Dublin, because I think that the winner of Sam in 2014 will have to beat Dublin at some stage. Also, Tomorro night will be an excellent indicator of how much Cork have progressed under Cuthbert, how effectively his philosophy on the game is, and how much more work needs to be done to bring Cork up to the required standard. A win would be great tomorro night, but in many ways Cork would have a lot more to learn in defeat than in victory.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement