Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

. There is a lot of talk that Brian murphy ,who is due to announce hes plans you would expect soon enough.Yes he is a super player,and owes Cork nothing and the management rightly so give him time,but where in to March,so he needs to state hes intentions.Its fine he gets time,but he has plenty time now.

He is the best man marker in the game,and such is hes value he is a loss to any team,and it is true we don't have anyone at that level.However of all the losses,certainly we have option at corner back shane o neill is a starter.Conor o sullivan is superb.
    And we have Mcdonell there.Killan Murphy,burke midelton,no shortage of cover.I have a feeling that as he hasnt made up hes mind yet,may retire.A huge loss but,i would think if if he did retire,not as a huge loss,in like a full back to me as it is the main issue.And 3 years in , that have not been filled.And you see the worry ,and i hate to say it but there some benfit if he is absent as if Murphy is availabe, the management i have a feeing will revert to brian murphy at 3, or else shane o neill or Mcdonnel.Murphy,if he is out of the equation maybe it forces there hand a bit.I obivously dont want him to retire but Cork seasons wont be defined on him.Full back is the key and half back is what will define Cork season and the Mindset of the management regards of the cuff huring or adapting to systems.

What is aboustley baffling,is the public perception are not concerned in the lack of a Naturual full back ,that is a huge aera of concern.People must have learnt nothing from last year all ireland final.I hope people do not think 3 goals last year against Shane O Neill was just one of those days.That was a ticking time bomb,that full back aera.Cody,Davy,O Grady know that and have the players to target us.

There seems to be a school of thought in Cork,murphy absence deprives us of half back options,and and keane and white are viable options,as mcdonnell cant play at half back if murphy retires.
    Most certainly there not half backs.
    It will be interesting to watch them for Cit tommorrow.

There is also talk unless we find a 9,mcloughlin may have to stay there and not at 5,which they do agree is hes best positon.

The way i look at it is even if we dont find a 9,mcouilghin has to start at 5,as a least you strentghten one aera.No point in being weak there and weak at midfield just cause lorchan is the best we got.

Lorchan is a poor poor midfielder and hasnt that yard of pace to get you by ,and i would rather by strong at 5 than weak at 5 and 9.We might as well be weak at 9 with someme else than lorchan if we dont have replacement.

People have a view ellis could be our Mark landers.He is no where near landers .
    Landers wasnt a great midfieder,had no pace ,and just bout got by .He had a great work rate and physical presence.He would have been a great 6 but sure no way could you replace corcoran,and such that Dan murphy ballincollig,u21 captain 97 and 98 would have been a fine intercounty player but came at the wrong time.Pace wasnt a main concern in 99 ,such that him and micky connell survived.

Ellis is a landers type of physical presence ,but has no where near the reading,or hurling ,to do a converted wing back to midfield
    The game at midfield is about raw pace.Kenny made the tranisiton ,from 5 to midfield,he had the pace and touch do.

Ellis would not be in that he hasnt the standard and also its indictive cork want to hurl direct there,and that is no good to cork.We must have a guy that can run,o shea, must get a chance,if not michael sullivan ,or mcdonell.
    They are right in that joyce is a certain starter.By all accounts sullivan was outstanding there.

Spillane should get starts against Offlay,wexford and antrim,and the quater final.He will get better.
    Shane o neill and mcdonell beside him give him stabilty.But if they want to give killan murphy or conor sullivan games wonder hinder spillane.Should plenty the last two weeks ,at cork and ucc to merit games.

Cadogon situation is a farce .But he is going to get game time, and i pray it is rather it at 7.Egan isnt playing well.Not that cadogan be any better but put him at 7 and you minimize your damage to the team going forward,as if cadogan goes to 3 or 6,,a complete dissaster as your taking away key key game time that spillane or joyce and 6 need to develop.I wouldnt have cadogan on that team,but he is going to get a game.

Its grand for people to say cadogan must get a chance at 3 ,but your depriving yourself of stabilty by chopping and changing in a vital aera of the team.We are guaranteed four games in the league ,up to May v waterford.

We must have clear visons and a startegy going forward .If we win the quater dfinal we have a 5th game etc.
    We don't know we will so we must get everything out of them games.The lackadazical,no urgency,staleness and real lack of energy ,trying guys for the sake of it and giving them extra time when they have little hope of progression has to stop in truth.Eveings are getting brighter ,summer is very close.Only like yesterday was xmas day.You can't just expect to turn it on.

Its not that hard to judge players after a few games..You buy a car in the morning,you check its service history and milage etc.You get a picture painted what you are getting.Same here.You have players on this panel that shouldnt be on it,as you check there,minor,u21 ,intermediate intercounty and club games and in some cases college games and serious limiations in there abilty has been exposed.

Yes you have to take in the shambloic managment at u21 level, However when you take in there overall profile at clubs game when the going got tough, some have been exposed too many times.There overall picture is not a pretty one.

Midfield is an issue but if we sort full back ,and let mcloughlin at 5 with joyce,were very strong ,and if your going to be weak ,in any aera ,the flanks is the last exposable.Ideal world you want 15 top men.But if that is not attainable ,you at least focus on the main aeras.

As regards the football,we have a huge game Saturday but from where that team is coming from ,a performance is what i want.See im not as harsh as people think i am.I am realistic to know it takes times,but once i see improvement and mistakes being learned ,i dont mind.And that team saturday im happy to a point.

U21 footballers ,is a key game in just under 2 weeks ,in tralee.A huge game-corks preparation is going well -and Gene o driscoll are two good men with them.It is not inconceiable that a very good cork team and coached well ,could loose ,as away from home in a hostile packed tralee,as Cork have 24 munster titles ,Kerry 25,so a chance to draw level,but also a chance to stop kerry gaining any momentum that they badly need at underage ,and Darragh O se,is doing good work with them but ,he is under pressure and expected to deliver at home.

In fact ,kerry havent beaten cork in a while and won an u21,the expecation and hype in kerry is close to a senior game for them,as with Galvin,o se ,brosnan etc a lot of the great teams retiring they badly need something to come through.

We dont need it as badly but the hunger and desire is the same as cork,as they have new management but also want to keep kerry down.Whoever wins this ,has unlike the old days won Munster.Tippeary are going to be a serious threat to both,but thats for another day ,and we have if we play them,tippeary at home.

My only concern is kerry.There the ones we must beat and deprive there next generation of games to develop.Be interesting to see the team,that is named this monday week i would imagine.

Micheal Martin is probably likey to be in goal.He is a fine keeper.

Last years full back line was woeful ,in brian o driscoll Is a half forward or half back,and Dorman a half back and cronin centre forward, for club at times ,had wonderful attacking instinct but no presence or doggness as a unit .

Two goals conceceded,could been four in truth against Kerry.The Lesson like i said after that gameh is at any grade you need a full back line.Dorman a terffic player is not a full back.
    Cleary like all good managers learned that the next game.

This years line has problems at 3 also.In fact ,Cork football would want have to have an orange alert ,as stormy seas in await down the years,if we dont work on that aera.You must develop a 3 now for the future,or we will be like Cork hurling,4 years without a full back.
    Shields,cadogan ,in 3 years down the line will have a lot of mileage and shoving on.Im not saying they wont be there,but we must acknowlege its an aera to focus on,with lads at u17 now ,and develop them as time goes.You can rarely convert a player to there in latter years,if young enough you can.
    We have lads at u17 hurling and in the minor ,i would see as works in progress,like Eddie Gunning,Ian Cahill(didnt make the minors,wouldnt rule him just yet),killan o connor etc.

I find it hard to find a full back for the current u21 team,and with the same problem ,as last year,it shows how we dont have much coming through.Cuthbert being involved in development squads and minor in 2010,2011 should be aware of this.And the minor manager Donal O Sullivan ,Cuthbhert worked with in 2011,should be focusing on that as a key aera.To develop talents,teams must get a run of games.Heres the problem,im not sure this manager has it in him to get the team to do.Like Morgan age wise,but unlike Billy ,he is too old school.What he won in 1997,is a bit like Traptonni,sucessful in a different aera and living of past glories.
    Morgan has proved he still has it .

The minor full back line of davis and fulinagti,and stephen cronin as a unit didnt do in 2011,tipp tore them apart and got 3 goals,quinlan ,liam mcgrath and ryan carving them open,and wont do against kerry.

Kevin crowley isnt a full back like cahalane last year.However he is more quicker to turn,and deceptive,our best option ,we have not many options .
    It will be interesting who they have beside him.
    Id have ,stephen cronin ,Dorman and brian o driscoll at half back.

Maguire ,kavanagh

Kiely sugrue,cadogan
    Maceoin ,corkery vaughan
    Bushe ,davis ,,killan o hanlon i believe,i was told is on the panel ,a good tough opertor from kilshainig,a minor in 2011,,very unlucky with injuries.Not a flashy spectular player but,brave honest ,and great worker,just what you want in tralee and is a useful option on the bench.

Thats the team i would pick,but o driscoll proabaly be a half forward ,and Darragh murphy could even play at midfield,and harrington could well start in the fowards as well !
    A really strong panel ,and should be at the very least competitve with a real chance of a win.

Bad news is killian o connor is injured ,injured hes shoulder,next week should reveal how bad,likely at best to be out for 3 weeks.Hopefully not longer,and its just a minor injury.

He isnt a huge loss in terms ,cork have forwards in numbers but it would nice to have him,as a lot of the forwards are overage next year ,and he will likely be a big player in that team,and this year is a learning curve.A super full back in Hurling.I hope it aint too bad.Its awful to hear players getting injured.

FAO of Shambuoc
    You said you played under Morgan,and it was the little simple things that made him great.You would love the article,super read in the echo tonight regards Morgan ,a splendid work of art by Barry O Donovan.

Im sure many hear would like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Can u elaborate on that? We need a presence at 14, a fully fit match sharp Cronin has the hurling and smarts to lead that line.

The big man on the square crack doesn't work these days, there is a reason everyone has stopped with that style, defences are too well organised, they just crowd out the full-forward. Ultimately you want speed, quick hurling and a good instinct for getting goals at full-forward - in other words Hoggie, or maybe Paudi Sul, although he has a history of butchering goal chances. Certainly not Cronin or Walsh.
    Cronin just isn't mobile enough for modern day midfield play and as it is we have other options at half forward so I would say jbm wouldn't be losing his mind if he was to be played there.

We have Lehane and Harnedy - only Harnedy in terms of ball-winning options - Cronin will have to be 11 come championship. Lads will talk about Cadogan and Rob O'Shea - you can't have them along with Lehane in the half-forward line come championship, even if they are good enough for this level. And Lehane is only a half-forward regardless.

The idea the big man doesnt work depends on who that it is and how you approach and use the idea.Cronin is a super ball winner,has good reading and can score goals as well as points.
    You made the point teams bunch the full back line ,if hes in there.You see looking at the grand scheme of things thats a huge advantage to Cork ,and without doing much,Cronins presence is doing a lot for the team.Okay it may not be flashy ,but similar to Timmy Mac,doesnt have to be,but Cork wouldnt have won an all ireland without him ,3 times.

YOU are partly correct ,that if you launch bombs down on him,it becomes stale,one dimenshoal,predicabtle and quite easy to defend.
    It would be hughely succesful if cork had a measured approach and played the possesion game and isolated him in a two man full forward line .

Simply as teams crowd out the half back line and middle third,if you play a possesion game ,and isolate cronin inside ,they cant crowd cronin also,as at the end of the day they have just 15 men.

If cronin, like v galway in 2012 ,Clare 2013 league play off,the replayed all ireland and drawn final,gets ball he can score goals and points.Very unlucky against galway not to get a goal in 2012.

He has Such a great hand ,and presence,he will win hes share of ball ,and is less suspectible to double marking if the approach is measured and varied.

It failed drastically against laois as cork didnt play a possesion game,didnt draw laois out and laois had men to crowd cronin.

If cork had lehane,harnedy and walsh ,(in time)they have plenty of ball winning there but much more pace and dynasim then cronin.
    If that line spreads outs ,Clare would be in difficulty .If clare bunch there ,then you deliver the long ball down to Cronin on the egde of the square ,and with Horgan ,feeding of him cork have a real threat.
    If clare double mark horgan ,it means a man is taken from half back zone,there sweeper .
    Cork in harnedy,lehane ,and walsh have the pace to either score direct or else run at the clare half back line ,and break the tackles that is over crowed and out numbered by cork in numbers as the corner forward like moylan or cadogan ,or coughlan is playing out around that middle third and getting that loose ball.Clare are stuck between a rock and hard place.Crowd the full back and cronin is nulfilled.Thats fine ,once Cork take advantage of the space outside.We have the players,lehane,coughlan,walsh,harnedy,kearney at 8 to score long distance with joyce offering a scoring option at 6 also.And lorchan when he pushes up at 5,can pop over a point.

What your simply doing is using your sheer talent and depth to either cause a mismatch in either full forward or half forward line to score.Cronin is so good one v one in the air,hit ten balls in to him,he will at least win 5.If hes on most full backs,riche mac,he will break even but also they cant foul him with nash around.It gives cork plan a and a plan b.And you vary the approach.Hard to contain when you have many different strings to your bow.
    Cronin isnt a cussen type target .He is actually a real threat with lots of hurling.And rotate him with horgan.Look at hes goal the ist day against clare.Super goal.

Outside of walsh,cork have michael sullivan who can win ball,and also Lawton could be an option ,and chalane in time will be.
    Cooper should be on the bench.

Harnedy and lehane are two starters at 10,11,and when walsh gets going much better option than cronin.A great move to play him there.

At the very worst ,if used right cronin draws another man back to mark him,so the middle third is less congested by clare ,we put our extra man in there,bypass cronin altogther in don't hit the ball in to him,pick clare of at distance.

Regards o shea ,i totally agree,i have always said even for ucc he isnt a 12,Midfield only..I dont think anyone to be fair sees cadogan as a 12 .

Munster B Final

Hamilton and Ballincollig drew last night.Replay is the 7th march.
    Unlikey Cahalane will start against offaly two days later.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

Orizio wrote: »
    The big man on the square crack doesn't work these days, there is a reason everyone has stopped with that style, defences are too well organised, they just crowd out the full-forward. Ultimately you want speed, quick hurling and a good instinct for getting goals at full-forward - in other words Hoggie, or maybe Paudi Sul, although he has a history of butchering goal chances. Certainly not Cronin or Walsh.

We have Lehane and Harnedy - only Harnedy in terms of ball-winning options - Cronin will have to be 11 come championship. Lads will talk about Cadogan and Rob O'Shea - you can't have them along with Lehane in the half-forward line come championship, even if they are good enough for this level. And Lehane is only a half-forward regardless.
    What about Darach Honan for Clare last year. He's a big man, and he caused defences lots of trouble. Walter Walsh against Galway in the replay of the All-Ireland final in 2012. I accept your point that the big man in the full forward line won't work every time. You can't put a big man in there like Cussen for instance and expect success. The big man needs to be intelligent and skillful. Also, you can't expect the ploy of the big man to work every time. As already said here by a number of posters, you can't lump ball down on a big man every chance you get. It has to be varied. I think Cronin could easily fill that role for Cork, but I wouldn't suggest that this tactic be overused.

• Advertisement

Today is a huge game for cork hurling and for CIT,and after loosing a fitzgibbon cup final and a Cork county final,I would love them to win it today,3rd time lucky,and its great Newtownshandrum ,have such a strong infulence,the excellent Pat Mulchay ,and Donal on the management team.

And Jamie Coughlan and Kevin o connor on the team.Cit i have a belief they will finally after loosing the county final and the fitzgibbonn by a point,today they will scrape it,wouldnt be suprised if extra time was needed or they won by a point.

.Bonnar has won 4 fitzgibbon cups in 12 years at Wit,and yes they must be favourites however i saw plenty in the game v ucc that they are beatable.and also ,Lit ,a very limited team minus ,sean o brien pushed them all the way.They had 80 minutes of tough hurling.
    Bonnar credit due,i didnt think he would ,got wit to beat davys system,just about.

However Ucc,showed last week as they were in a titatanic battle in the semifinal ,and had 13 men,and then without Cronin in the final beat the favourites,in a home game for them,that you can recover from the exertions of the day before.

Yes ucc didnt have extra time on the friday,but Cit had such a titatnic battle themselves,with a roller coaster of emotions,that Wit are not the only team with a huge ask to get another huge performance out of the players.

Two key factors today is the mindset rather than the physical fatigue and the wind factor.Who ever has the fresness of mind may edge it .Who ever gets the advantage of playing with the wind could well decide it.Yes ,lit showed they could claw it back ,but to do that a second day in a row ,and to have the same focus and composure ,when the legs do tire in the second half ,is a tough ask.
    Its much easier to hang on to a lead and defend with tired bodies than chase a lead and make things happen,as you have no margin for error.Cit hopefully get the wind in the ist half.

Cit team isnt laden with stars like ul or ucc,but they have four key game players ,in Michael O sullivan,John cronin,David drake and Kevin hallisey who could start that played in that county loss to carrigtwohill ,and also against ucc two years ago.Hallisey has expierence of big games with Cork u21 football,and minor,all ireland finals i both.

Jamie Coughlan has senior expierence,in the all ireland final.John Cronin has had a terrifc campaign1-2 yesterday,always performed for Cork u21 football and hurling,and interemediate also.
    Superb against Carrigtwohill ,in 2011,he is a real captain,he always performs in big games.A huge work ethtic and strong in the air.

Is he senior standard??im not convinced but i would have him any day of the week over Haughney ,bud hartnett,naughton,as he shows a hunger and real desire to work hard .Hurling may not be sharp ,thats my concern.But he is brave,and does he try.If every player had hes guts and drive.

Michael sullivan is similar to Cronin,but i feel he is faster and more hurling than cronin.Bill Cooper,a County and Intermediate winner in Munster with Youghal is a leader,and when you see Cooper,O sullivan,Cronin they have strong mobile ball winners in the air,a real forager and like an openside in rubgy,a great man in Sullivan at the breakdown,throw in the guile and craft of Coughlan,with the marquee forward,Senior with Tipp Bubbles O dywer,another man that can clean up in the air,but score at ease and has plenty of big game expierence with Tippeary,Cit have a physical.,mobile ,athletic core in the middle third.Sullivan should have too much doggness,strength and bite at midfield for kenny.

The key is all those lads are warriors,would win a battle for you.Even coughlan a fast wristy hurler will mix it and is brave.
    Drake has played intermediate,u21,minor and done well for cork and done good in the county final and shouldnt of been taken of.

My worry is the full back line ,and they could leak goals.Eoin keane would be a super presence there and stabilse it .I just dont think him and ellis are a fortress at half back.

Paudric o Mahony ,is a huge test for either of them.Keane would be better suited to him, if he stays thereand the weather may ,allow with the drop in pace to intercounty keane to surive here.Murphy of kilkenny has pace.

Thats my worry with cit ,the full back line and half back line.Stephen murphy would be better at half back ,i feel,with keane at 3.
    Both lines would benfit .
    Jake dillion at 14 could with liam mcgrath and gavin o brien,all played intercounty underage ,has goals in them .
    Bar hamill the wit half back line,cit should match them.
    That wit full back line of gahan and maher isnt the strongest and there is goals there.Espiceally if hallisey plays ,with drake.
    I wont sit on the fence,i make a prediction Cit to win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Mikey O'Sullivan out injured for CIT..big blow.

Just on now tg4,sullivan didnt start,a huge loss .virgo glen,a good hurler but different style to virgo.

Ellis woeful mistake for a lad that wants to play with cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Just on now tg4,sullivan didnt start,a huge loss .virgo glen,a good hurler but different style to virgo.

Ellis woeful mistake for a lad that wants to play with cork.

Virgo didn't start that graphic was wrong. Its William Murphy from Meelin.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Blue Magic

Any links for Cork-Dublin streams tonight?

• Advertisement

Blue Magic wrote: »
    Any links for Cork-Dublin streams tonight?
    If you're an Eircom broadband customer, Setanta is free. I've heard cricfree is good too, but my broadband is too slow to stream properly so I forked out the cash for the Setanta sports pack this year. It's good value if you're into premier league games cos you get BT Sport as well.

Credit Wit,a great win but Sullivan was a huge loss to Cit.I had said he would have the edge on kenny at centrefield,i think kenny got 3 points ,shows how much a loss he was.

Willam murphy tried hard but like corbet before he got injured ,struggles at this level.Gutted for cit,but a lot learned from ,a Cork perspective in that game.

Sthephen Murphy outstanding at corner back ,a cork u21 this year.
    Ellis awful ist half from a cork senior.Give away a sloppy point,ist minute.He looks slow and cumbersome going forward.Never dominated second half got a point,oceans of space ahead of him,made a point,when WIT tired,and retreated,he grew in to it.

I say to everyone that thinks he is intercounty standard watch that 1st half again.Not what were looking for.

Man of the match for CIT was eoin keane.Christ he was superb,cleaned up at least 6 super catches,and always laid it of intelligent.Very sharp hurling,long crisp deliverys.I said he was the man for mahony.I was spot on ,he cleaned him out.He even in the ist half against the wind covered in the full back line.Super ist touch.

Jake dillion ,caused him problems with hes pace,that point by the sideline where he ran away from i
    Him ,and scored showed he is not a half back but could be a terrific full back.

In the ist half dillion got a long ball in the ist half in by goal ahead of murphy.Keane came in ,as he turned murphy.keane stood upright ,tall and firm,used that firm hard,core strength ,that o neill,mcdonnell doesent have ,and forced him to point than go for goal.

Keane also at will used hes strength in a core of crowded bodies to ,always stand over and protect loose ball.Time and again when he won ball he broke tackles and opened the shoulders,and hit great crisp clearances.

Most importantly he showed leadership and a presence always demanding and making himself avaible for short puck outs,and blew waterford lad out of it with a shoulder.He would get beaten for pace at half back,but would be ideal at 3,for cork ,a great hand,tough,fast hurling and great reading.

Spillane is a yard faster and everything keane is,so he is my 1st choice,but i wouldnt have any problem ,and said it all along keane has the attruibutes to play there.
    Superb.Only for injury ,would have been there already.

Cronin was everyhere ,half back,midfield,half forward,what a work horse,great shift two great points,2 bad wides also.Couldnt overall fault him.Lacks a bit for senior ,maybee but i would if we had to ,have him n an extended panel.

Cooper,has to get a recall.Fast,mobile,sharp hurling,lovely points,great dummy for one ,was brillant.Good touch.Yes shooting is erratci ,and not a starter but much better than cian mac ,has to be on the cork panel.

Drake not hes best day but with cronin ,a certain starter with cork intermediates.john o dywer superb,i thought,could have a great career with tipp.

Cit could have won ,crucially never got the lead score.Murphy that came on for sullivan was poor.
    Cit didnt have a bench,but the short,possesion game worked well for them.If cork with harnedy ,and lehane,and walsh running with the ball,would be suited to it ,and walsh and harnedy are good in the air also.
    Not a great day for cit ,but useful lessons learned froms corks perspective.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,883 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

UP 1-11 v 0-12 at ht..... seriously enjoyable game of football - end to end, exactly the kind of game Cork have been capable of playing for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭zetecescort

John Hayes doing wreck. did well to stay in the game having gone 3 or 4 down early on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,883 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

61st min and Colm O'Neill kicks us into the lead.......a special moment I'm sure!

Cork 1-17 v Dublin 0-18

It may only be the league...but get the fúck in !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

C103 commentary......"Cork win the battle of the Capitals"...love it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Great to see Colm O'Neill back.I said it a few years ago that he was going to be the best forward in the country and sadly his injuries have held him up.Hopefully he gets a few years without injuries, he's got a brilliant left foot, the power and whip he got on the shot for his second point tonight was class.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Great result to what sounded like a cracking game of football. Had to rely on c103. Outstanding stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Really impressed by the work rate of cork tonight, very close game played the right way.

Best of luck for the rest of the league

SeaFields wrote: »
    Great result to what sounded like a cracking game of football. Had to rely on c103. Outstanding stuff.

Tv on mute, radio cracked up:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Tv on mute, radio cracked up:)

No setanta in my house :(

Highlights tomorrow tho along with every other bit of gaa on offer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭DD Mikasa

Great win over the Dubs! Fabulous stuff! Everyone assumed we were finished with all the retirements but looks like it is going to have the opposite effect. Obviously it would be preferable to still have Sheehan but we'll bate on.

Eoin Keane has to feature for Cork after his display for CIT today. He was unreal. He is exactly what we were missing last year. Whether it's in the half back line or full back, I'm not sure, but give the man gametime to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭lukin

Good win but let's not get too carried away; Dublin were missing the two Brogans, Connolly and Mannion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

lukin wrote: »
    Good win but let's not get too carried away; Dublin were missing the two Brogans, Connolly and Mannion.

And Flynn, Daly, O Carroll, Brennan and Rock.;)

corny wrote: »
    And Flynn, Daly, O Carroll, Brennan and Rock.;)
    I don't think Cork fans will get too carried away with this win over Dublin. It's nice for Cork to win at this stage. I think that guarantees that Cork have maintained their Division 1 status, and a league semi-final place looks pretty much a certainty too.

I think it was a good game for both teams. Cork and Dublin have alot of positives to take from the game, and both managers know that there's lots more work to be done. Dublin were missing a large contingent of their preferred starting 15, Connolly, Flynn and Bernard Brogan to mention a few notable names, but Cork are missing quite a few from their preferred starting 15. I'm not going to mention the retired players or Sheehan, only Sheehan is a big loss from the group that has left. Colm O'Neill was missing from the starting 15 tonight, and could only play the part of a sub. He'll start championship when fully fit. Paddy Kelly and Damien Cahalane are both out with hip injuries but should be back for championship. Michael Shields and Donnchadh O'Connor missed the game because of short term injuries. While neither Dublin nor Cork could field their preferred starting 15 players, the players that came in on either side more than acquitted themselves. I think though that Cork's new players impressed more than Dublin. Incidentally, while Dublin were missing some big names, some of their other big names in McCaffrey and McCauley were kept very quiet by Cork. The only player tonight that really shone for Dublin was Cormac Costelloe. I couldn't see any other player getting on the Dublin team for championship.

Cuthbert will have a lot to think about over the course of the league, and in that gap between league and championship Cuthbert will have to find his best team. On the evidence of tonight's game against Dublin, Cuthbert will have plenty of competition for places, and plenty to occupy his thoughts over the coming months.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 607 ✭✭✭jack o shea

Would cork be a good bet for sam? only the dubs ahead of them really? mayo wouldnt win it even if everyone else pulled out.

Would cork be a good bet for sam? only the dubs ahead of them really? mayo wouldnt win it even if everyone else pulled out.
    It was a very positive result tonight for Cork, but it's the league, it's the 1st of March. It's too soon to say Cork will win Sam, but Cork are definitely contenders. I think before tonight, the same old 5 or 6 teams would be named as All-Ireland contenders: Dublin, Mayo, Tyrone, Donegal, Cork and Kerry with Kildare definitely below those teams. I think Cork are ahead of teams like Donegal, Tyrone and Kerry at the moment but that can all change. I think you have to put Dublin and Mayo ahead of Cork because of their conistency if not their success at national level. I would rate Cork as 3rd favourites.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 607 ✭✭✭jack o shea

Forget about mayo, shower of frauds.

Forget about mayo, shower of frauds.
    I don't think Mayo will win this year. I didn't fancy them last year but they've been consistent in getting to two A-I finals. I think this year Mayo will find it too hard to make it to a 3rd final in a row. The last two losses will be very hard to overcome. If you're a gambling man, then you could back Cork to win Sam in an e/w 1/2 the odds if they make it to the final and lose. If Cork win Munster, and Mayo win Connaught, they'll more than likely meet in an A-I semi-final if they both win their quarter finals. Unless either of them meet a Tyrone or a Kerry on a good day in the quarter finals then it should be Cork and Mayo in one semi-final.

• Advertisement

A super game of game of football,superb performance,and the 1st real test of management and players in a perfect night for both teams wanting to play football.
    The team picked,i posted thursday night and said what was availble bar one poistion,i was very happy with it,and said it was a good team.
    Both teams deserve credit for playing the game the way it should be.A beautfuil open game of football.

Dorman starting in the full back line instead of Cronin,and he moving him out didnt do dorman any favours.At minor and u21 he has proved he isn suited to the full back line,and the kildare game ,it was the opponent suited him.He is a wonderful,player,and as he proved with Ucc,and club,half back is hes best posistion.
    That was a wrong call by management ,and we paid dearly for it for 25 minutes,our whole line lost its shape and all 3 were in real trouble.Cronin should have stayed in the corner.That swtich to the team picked was wrong,but ,its one thing to make a mistake,at least they just waited 25 minutes to change things.Dorman shouldnt of been taking off ,and should of played at half back.
    He if he is their in the u2 1 game will be roasted.He is a great talent,not a full back.Musnt be judged on tonight.
    I hope it does  not affect hes confidence for the u21 game.Not he's fault tonight,great future ahead.

The management acted fast but ,i thought they did a lot right,with colm o neill introduction and hodnett ,but moving mark collins back to midfield for hodnett to come on ,so gould could go to half back ,and then ,cronin  back to the corner was a complex situation that could of been done by leaving collins where he was and bringing deane on at midfield with gould moving back.It worked out,but im always sceptical to make a whole lot of changes just over one aera

I also felt that while galvin was being caused problems by mcnemonn,the whole unit was in trouble ,in that 20 minutes,and that was down to a systematic failure,caused by dorman in there.

Galvin was beginning to settle and grow in to the game.He should as i said be given game time like others got,and with cadogan out next week-shields at full back,he should start with cronin.
    Also Walsh was our best midfielder ,but shouldnt have be taken off ,and also Deane was brought on far too late ,when we were cleaned out in the middle for most of the game.
    Gould certainly isnt an option for championship with walsh.

Overall though the management done very well and ,even though twas harsh with dorman,they made a great call with kevin crowley being used fast ,and they are more ruthless on the line and act faster than the previous set up

They do deserve immense credit ,for the introduction of youth and the real real intent to play ,fast fluent ,attacking open football,at pace ,with a real intent on the kick pass ,and none of the slow,laboured hand pass,back and forth like a rubgy team,but real ,use of the attacking talent we have ,with a superb pace and spatial awarness ,to there game.When cork do handpass,it is composed,to get them out of a tight spot,or an offload to a runner in space,but they dont over use the handpass,they kick most of the time.

It must be four years ,since i saw a cork team play with such fluency and pace and real intent to attack in croke park against a top team .
    A performance ,is what i wanted ,i said thursday,to get the win against a Dublin team very much up for it,was a superb result.Credit due.
    6 points,top of the league,we wont get relegated.We are now looking at ,with two home games,Derry who provide a different challenge,won't play like dublin,and tyrone whos movement and pace is mixed with grit and resoultness ,a real chance of a semi final.People say we are all ireland contenders now this year.Very early to say that,and i don't think so.Making good progress,but not a finished article yet,and midfield must be sorted ,the right balance at half back.

Kerry and Mayo are huge games,but if we win the home games,you do have room for error .
    Very happy with 3 wins,but while lessons in some aeras have to be learned,we are moving in the right direction.

Paddy kelly is due to start next week,clancy may also,cahalane is due in a few weeks,and jamie sullivan due back in April ,with Colm back tonight ,we have a full panel to choose from.
    Shields should be okay for next week.We need him.Donnacha should be fit too.

Ratings

O halloran-superb,varied,kickouts brillantly,and made a super save at a cruical time.Top keeper,getting better with every game.A real leader.We had great keepers,in Morgan,kerins,quirke.O halloran set to join them.

galvin -dodgy start ,but i felt he against mcneamon was beginning to settle

Cadogan-supereb,fast,tenacious,dominant,real presence,grew in after that dodgy 20 minutes to have a blinder.I said it here many times,vital to cork season this year.All star potential.

Dorman shouldnt have started at corner back-wouldnt judge him on tonight.

Loughrey-superb,grew in to the game,superb range of kick passing,and great leadersip.Beginning to look more on the ball-head isnt down as much-i said sexton,o sullivan had to coach that out of him.I noticed huge improvement tonight.

Clancy thundered in to the game,broke the tackle constanly,beautful kick passing,real purpose ,and intent on the ball,defended superbly in the second half when the need was greatest .A huge difference in that unit,in what we had last year.
    Intelligent and deceptive.As a unit,its loose,but as i said many times,it takes time to develop telephathy,cohesion ,and an understanding.

He is a starter with Loughrey in May,the other spot is with Dorman,brian driscoll,cahalane ,and Crowley.Jesus that serious,serious competiton.Oh and the other Tom Clancy.Five going for one position.Wow.
    Like i said many times no need to move shieldly out.

Cronin-super,attacks the ball,real pace,intelligent ,guile ,and robust.
    Back to the form of 2012 when he held Kilkenny in the u21 superbly.Form dipped last year.He is flying i .Was superb at corner back when he went back.Tends to attack ,a bit too much for a corner back.That can be curbed with good coaching.
    We have a potential man marker in lynch mode.What would help him greatly is for he play at corner back for Nemo rangers regulary.Pole position for no .4.
    Jamie Sul to come in,and i still believe Galvin has the talent.We have real strength in an aera that was weak .

Walsh-very good,yes could do better,but considering gould was woeful ,and he was a one man show,really began to limit Mccauley in the second half.
    Kicked some great ball, had some poor kicks,a work in progress,but getting there.A real hunger,and drive he had.If he had a partner,he would be immense

gould-said tonight was d day.He was woeful,didnt get stuck in,game bypassed him,for long periods,got a trade mark one point,but for a lad around since 2005,not doing enough.Had more than enough chances.At midfield or half back,did not do enough.

Deane,and laoire have, to get time now.I would drop gould from the panel.One good game,then he has a bad game.We need conisitentyg

O rourke-didnt score but done everything else.Trenmendous engine,stamina,and great vision,made great scores.Covered every blade of grass.Superb game.

Collins-a diamond of a player.Superb run and ofload for hayes splendid goal.He linked attack and defence,tracked back ,and some wonderful diagnial balls he kicked to the forwards.Getting better with every game.Not a midfielder though.

Kerrigan-said here he had talent,and he had it all,but it was up to him ,and he had to show a desire,work ethic,and lead the line and get involved more.I said it had to be laid on the line for him in this game,last chance saloon.We all knew he had the talent.

What a performance.Man of the match.He ran himself in the ground,always demaned the ball.Helped defence numerous time.Worked as hard of the ball as on it.That defines a player.
    It defined him tonight.A real force in that form.He needs to show that consistenty in every  game.Tonight should be the day he turned a corner.An all star ,if he matches the temaparment with hes super natural abilty.Hes pace and angles of running were sensasional ,would get run at outside centre for ireland,he was that good .

Goulding,superb,flawless from placed ball,got through an amount of work of the ball and won a lot of ball and created a lot.

Hurley was superb in the ist half,two superb points,great goal chance,great save by cluxton.
    He is superb,in hes athleticsim,and hes pace.Yes he faded in the second half,but hes young ,and a certain starter in may.

Hayes-the best til last.I have criticised him many times,and every time ,as clearly seen by posts,never questioed hes talent,i always knew he was talented.

It is hes attuide ,and work ethic and showing for the ball in big games,i have always criticised and doubted and stand by those games i have as ,a player of hes standard ,he should be after 7 years making a mark i always said.
    Tonight he was outstanding,he demanded the ball,and from the ist minute,he was up for the game.1-3 in the ist half was superb.I am delighted he done it ,as im a cork fan at the end of day ,and when he does well,cork do well.

People may feel,i want these lads to do bad.Rubbish.

People know here by the amount of games ,u21,minor,challenge etc,i have one love Cork Gaa.I want as i have always said the best for cork.I dont do happy go lucky ,i judge on what i see ,not what a guy has the talent to do,but doesnt.

Tonight I couldnt fault hayes attuide,hunger or desire.He was superb.
    He must do that in every game.Not a goal and 3,but that same hunger and work ethic.He has the talent,so its no excuse when he doesnt do it .
    I Had said he was the weakest player i felt in the team picked,he was one of the strongest with man of the match kerrigan.
    Id say kerrigan got the man of the match as he played a whole game by the pundits.

He deserves to start against Derry.He must with the competion in that front six be consistent though.Two back to back game,is what i expect.
    Im not being harsh.I expect the same from kerrigan.He cant like any player rest on hes laurels ,and
    Play good only in some games.

He took the goal very well.He had the inexpierenced jorge in real trouble.After a poor game and being sent of against kerry,jorge, i doubt will get much more games with Gavin.

He worked hard of the ball.Cooper held him in the second half,but i wouldnt blame him for tiring,a frentic pace of a game.

I wouldnt say he is  starter yet.Goulding ,and hurley are automatic.
    Colm ,no football in a year,two super points.If o Neill gets back to form,he would have to start.

Donnacha,and hayes ,and Hodnett in 3 games ,a real satement of intent are all vying for spots on the bench.Donncha has never let cork down in big games. Has to be a sub.
    I would say it is between him and hodnett for a sub place.
    Vaughan is in the fray at half forward.Maceoin ,is a savage talent and the u21 game is a good game to judge him.

Kevin Crowley-it was asked how good was he during the week.I said then,the nearest cork have to ciaran sullivan and to a tomas o se .
    He is blessed with a natural,intelligence,and deep understanding at just 19 that many wouldnt believe.

Everyone knows i have been hes biggest fan ,for a year now,still maintain should have started the u21s last year.Saw him as a 15 year old with Milstreet,you just knew he had it.

Against kerry he was superb ,in hes cameo against kerry with a slendid goal.
    Has pace,temparment ,and superb vision to see a pass ,many cant even contemplate.He is so timid looking,you would say jesus,a boy against men.I said it here during the week ,the real deal.
    I wasnt afraid when he came on but excited and exurbated by the fact a star ,was in the making.To make a debut after 20 min,in Croke park,under lights,and to play a great game,always showed for the ball,used it intelligenty,defended very well,attacked with purpose,he was sublime,imperious,wonderful,so much guile and elgance .

He can and will only get better.He was at fault with the goal chance people say,i dont blame him.Ist game,the fact he got in the position,had the guts,and innovation to go up there must be applaued.

And hey you thought that was good.Every kid should watch that piece,where mccaffery as a fast as a greyhound had a start on him.Tearing down on goal.Yet crowley reeled him in,and Mccaffery is a big fish,a super player ,but Crowley punched a certain point away.
    Wonderful determination,Desire,and focus,and sheer wil not to give up a lost cause.A defining moment in a game,that they are won and lost on.

Folks,i said after Clare last year ,Seamus Harnedy ,A star was born.
    A star was born tonight in Crowley.
    Never gave a way a bad pass in the corner.
    A key player at u21 on the 12th and next year again u21.He should be full back in that game,cork beat kildare 3-12 to 4-7,in a u21 challenge game recently,there is serious problems at full back in that team.

Crowley is the best option in that u21 game,as jack savage could be full forward.

Hodnett -superb.Thats why i wanted the man to start.Real energy,two excellent points,taking to the stage like a duck to water.I said he had talent.He has lots of it.

Colm o Neill.I said i wouldnt judge the lad ,if he had ten wides.He hasnt played in a year at any level.What a player,what a man.
    Could retire in the morning,owes cork football nothing.We owe the man everything.I said that thursday.

And tonight when i cried a tear to see this God ,legend ,as a man and a gaa player that,faced advertisy 3 times,and came out smiling ,just play was enough.He got some roar from the dubs,credit due,and cork when he graced croker.

I was saying,easy does it Colm.Jeus,unreal,two super points,breathtaking,my god that one by the sideline was as good as Donnachas one in 2010, or shea fahys gem in as tight an angle,oppoiste end of the field in 90.
    The dubs applauded it and walking out ,all the talk was Colm o neill.
    Thank you lad,what a player.
    Joe brolly im sure and christy o connor ,will do a splendid piece on him in the coming weeks.

An inspiration to the Gooch,3 times he was knocked down,3 times he got back up.Better than rocky.
    You couldnt script it ,tonight.Lads money cant buy the eurphoia from tonight.I want this night to last forever .O neill made it magical.

An all star,the only fear he stays injury free.

Sullivan,driscoll,deane came on too late to rateg.but all wdnrked hard for that time.

What was great was we went four points down,never pancked,never went back to old habits.We stayed directly to the game plan.We went ahead then,then we were level.We never panciked,again had the bottle ,grit,heart and characther to be bold to not settle for the draw,or moral victory ,but went for the juglar,moved the ball at pace,attacked,and o neill super winnes,wonderfully created,and then it was rounded of by the tenacity and anticipation  of hodnett ,who showed wonderful skill and compusure to finish of the job.

That comes from management, and that spirit also and Cuthbhert deserves with hes team a lot of credit for tonight.

A work in progress,and they will be defeats along the way,but in the 1st real test i have seen a lot of posives ,and that gives and creates a belief we are moving in the right direction.That will get you through the bad days when they happen.
    A job very well done,and Derry next,a very different type of challenge,but we have huge confidence heading in to it .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement