Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

I'd find it very hard at the moment to pick Cork's best starting 6 forwards. I don't think any player is 100% sure of his position. Although I'd probably say that Goulding, Colm O'Neill, Brian Hurley and Paul Kerrigan would be the first 4 names that I would to start. After that, I'd struggle between Hodnett (Fantastic talent, very much in the same mould as O'Neill, such a beautifully lazy way of kicking, makes it look so effortless), Paddy Kelly, Donnchadh O'Connor(his best years are behind him, but looking very much a rejuvenated man under Cuthbert), Collins and O'Rourke. Could you imagine if Ciaran Sheehan was still around?! Lots of headaches for Cuthbert

• Registered Users Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭slingerz

Only pity is Cathal Vaughan didn't get a run out. Definitely a contender for championship for me

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭North Cork Star

Well done to the Cork Footballers last night! I know it is only a league game but there was more than just two points up for grabs. We know we can beat the best in it and that should be a confidence boost to the panel. We gained huge experience in Croke Park also. Huge credit goes to Brian Cuthbert also. We played lovely attacking football, which was a joy to watch and we used the spaces of Croker's pitch very well and also I noticed we lived up to the pace of the Dubs throughout the game.

It was also great to see Colm O'Neill make a return last night! It was when he scored those two unbelievable points, especially his second point cutting in from the sideline, that we truly missed his class and it is brilliant to see again! He is an inspiration to us all to come back and with the help of God he will have a good few years left in footballing for Cork!

It was a great win over all and now we know we can seriously challenge for the Sam Maguire Cup this year!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

We have huge depth in most aeras,midfield is the huge problem,but we have talent ,if its developed ,the next year,we should be okay in that aera.

O-halloran in goal,and hanahrahan,no problem with cover.
    Shield,cadogan,cronin.If cadogan is injured,shields at 3.cronin and galvin ,corner backs and jamie sul.What was a weak aera is now a scoure of strengt,Jamie sul could play 3,remember the league final against Mayo,man of the match.

Kevin crowley is just 19,and half back is hes position with cork in future years.Has the pace,and intelligence ,and natural talent to do a job at corner back,even though loves the freedom of the half back line.Could like brian cococoran in 92 at 19 in hurling,made hes debut at corner back,and then moved out.

Louhghrey the best athlete on the Cork team and one of the best in the country.Superb on Kilkenny.He has much more in him.
    Clancy,another starter.

Then you have dorman,clancy,brian o driscoll(could play 10 but we dont need him to)cahalane .I said it here 4 weeks ago we were better served than kerry here.A kerry poster,? That judgement.

I didnt reply as in that case sometimes you say it best when you say nothing at all .My point was proved last night,we have 6 top ,top players ,all young talent ,bar loughrey ,but he isnt old either ,and 7 if crowley is there vying for 3 spots.

Kerry have o se and crowley ,superb,but they are no where near our strength in depth.Padriag o se ,with the u21 looks promising alright.He wouldnt be an o se,if hadnt talent.

Walsh,better not get injured.

Deane,laoire must get games.If not this year,ian maguire,sean kiely,darragh murphy ,and kavanagh are options in the next year.
    People say where would sheehan start we have so many forwards.

If sheehan was at 9,then,i would entertain all ireland thoughts this year.Power,athletiscim,vision,pace,agilgy,superb in the air and two wonderful feet,that can create a score and take a score.
    Has real awarness and intelligence.What a midfield partner for walsh.Two all star midfielders in the making,every forwards dream.

Rourke,collins ,kerrigan
    Vaughan,kelly(if hes back to hes best ,so good 90 per cent would do)hodnett ,are all options in that line.

Goulding,hurley ,colm o neill
    hodnett(option here,Donaccha,and donnacha ,Hayes(if he keeps up form)

Dan mac eoin has some left peg on him,and sugrue is an o rourke,type ,full of hard running,great worker,and lovely basic footballing skills.

Kerry forwards are old overall,ours are younger.Yes Donnacha is oldish,hes best days behind i him,i would argue that point.

He never had real pace,so thats not a hinderance now.Hes intelligence,temparment,skill ,and vision in a central role wouldnt be affected one bit by age.

Hes expierence,and leadership,is vital to blend a young six forwards.

Yes we have an array of riches at 10 to 15,however you can never have enough forwards ,as Mayo found out,and such as our injury record proved,we need cover in that aera.

Last night we passed a test of open,fast attacking football with flying colours.Yes Dublin were missing a few ,but so were Cork.Dublin will get better and are still the team to beat with Mayo in the all ireland.

Quite understanable for Mayo after the last two years to be sluggish in there 1st two games.Right them of at your peril.Expect the real Mayo to stand up today ,and should beat kerry today.

Derry ,will be strong,physical,dour at times,big men in key aeras,mccraguie,lynch,bradley ,etc ,and it if its wet and heavy a slow dog fight of a game.

A different test of this tean,but one i welcome,as we must be tested in a dog fight,low scoring game,to grind out a win.For that very reason ,i want rain,and heavy going next wee ,and bog like swamp condition in Mayo.
    Those games are great for testing and developing adaptabilty ,and versality and Plan A and Bs in different games.

103 fm ,live milford v ardahan all ireland club camoige final.

Hope milford do it,Anna Geary,some talent.

Very rarely i have to listen to match on the radio.

I hope pauidi sticks to the match,and realises the score and staying up with play is vital to the listener.

• Advertisement

Cork v dublin tg4 5.10 today full game deffered.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭corkrobinhood

The night alot of this team came of age I think :)

Superb performance all round,I'm glad to say I was there to witness a great win.

The Dubs can say they were missing players,Cork can say the same with retirements and injuries/loosing players to other sports,still the result is all that matters.

Thought Cronin was outstanding,tough little ****er,never gives up,Clancy ran his legs off,as did Loughrey,Gould so often criticised went through a mountain of work,Crowley when he came on his like a player born into the role :)

Galvin was roasted,simple as that,BUT he was on arguably one of the hardest forwards to mark in the country,Kevin Mc runs into spaces and moves like no1 i've seen before,hes very unorthaddox in his approach play so for that alone i'll give Galvin another day at the office,Derry game he could still start.

The return of Colm was a joy to see,simple as this we need that man fully fit because with him Cork will be very hard to beat.

Long way to go yet this year but a win against the All Ireland champions in their own backyard after the changes this team has gone through is a massive boost in March!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Just saw that Milford have done it again. Congrats to them, a great achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,146 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

It was just great watching Cork actually pay some lovely football last night.

Lot to do, but its a step in right direction

Noel galvin didnt last the game as i just heard on the radio,ciaran sullivan said he was injured at half time.That was an interview with Michael Sclanlon on 103fm corks sports sunday.

As regarded roasted,i beg to differ.I watched that game 3 times,at the match,on setanta that i recorded and then tg4.He was beaten twice for two points by Mcneomanng
    One point,he was badily turned.,and it could of been a goal yes.

But that was he's1st legue start ,he did not get which he should of in the game v kildare, a full game.
    All the Cork full back line was in dissaray in the 1st 20 due to Dorman being picked in the corner.Him and cadogan were due to serious holes in that unit ,were defending Space rather than there men.

Galvin settled well after that 20 minute spell.I said he was unfairly taken off,and he seems by Ciaran interview,would have stayed but for injury.

What is hugehly significant is and correctly so they didnt bring mcloughlin on ,but reshuffled the team.They learned the lessons.Galvin had struggled with pace,against mcnemon who is super fast,galvin is fast,mclougiln would have been roasted.

Also the point people must note is come May,you need 3 subs that can cover the full back line,with injury,or black card.,
    I take it ,shields,cads,and cronin start.But suppose shields is out to play any part of a game for example.

We must have cover.
    Jamie sul is in at 2.,and Galvin is that other option with crowley on the bench as you with the black card need two lads used to playing ,2 or 4.

Mcloughlin aint up to it.Who else have we????
    Galvin is the best of whats there .
    Its fine to say he is not good enough,but who do you replace it him?
    In mcloughlin case it is different for example he isnt good enough,and Galvin at worst is better than him.

In regards the Derry game ,i hope Galvin is okay,as Crowley cant start, with the u21 game 3 days later, and Cadogan is wasting he's and Cork's time with the Hurlers,so we have only Shields ,and Cronin.

We are in trouble as we have no one else to start ,and also have no adequate cover.Dorman thank god is with the u21,so he cant be played out of poistion again.

Id say Mcloughin will get a game if galvin is out.Mcfaul v mcloughlin????a long day for him

In regards a comment on the kerry thread,kerry may be saved from relegation ,as we may not be UP for the game,as its the last one,and we may be qualifed ,and wont need the points like last year league final game,and May TAKE IT EASY ON THEM.COMPLETE NONENESE TO ENTERTAIN ANY SUCH THOUGHTS.

Im Sorry,but that is Wrong And Must not Happen.

Kerry,with the way there games are set up and what i saw today v Mayo(said mayo would win,should beaten them by more instead of di**king around with lateral handpassing)will do well to get one win from there next two games,tyrone at home live next week on tg4,and kildare away .If that happens,they should beat westmeath in mullingar,they probably need a result against us in April to be guaranteed to stay up or depending on results eleswhere to go there way.

Cork Must take that seriously,or the week after Aprils fools day,Our management will be the biggest fools if they don't go down to Tralee wanting and picking the Best 15 to win ,and without an Intent and Hunger to win.

They targetted last night game,Sullivan said so I believe on that basis,they are not fools,and will 100 per cent want to beat kerry for 3 reasons

1-to relegate kerry has huge implications for kerry,and hinders there development ,and that can only benefit Cork down the line

2 Kerry are our Enemy,dont ever forget that.We must treat them as such,and purely on the field have that contempt and hatred ,just as they have and always had with Cork on the ptich,and if we were in roles reversed they would want to relegate us,there ruthless,sense blood,go for juglar,thats why they are and always will be the Greatest ever football county.We must adopt that Ruthless with them.When there down,we Must Bury them .No Soft Mentality ah,its just a league game when it comes to Kerry.

(3)Cork players at junior,minor,and u21,schools,beaten kerry teams in kerry ,regulary down the years,no inferiority complex with kerry like cork seniors in 18 years in championship ,without a win in kerry.This new breed cant allow ghosts of past teams to haunt them,and to beat them in the championship in 2015 in killarney,we must beat them in kerry before them in the league.

If we beat them and relegate them we wont play them til next year championship ,as we wont have them in the league,and also a mcgrath cup game in kerry if we met isnt the same.
    If kerry do stay up,the league draw could well pit us at home next year-so this could be our only Chance to beat them in kerry ahead of 2015,We must (Carpie Diem)
    SEIZE THE MOMENT.

YES a lot can happen between now and 2015 july.But we must head there knowing we beat them in kerry in a must win game for them.
    If were to take it easy in any game,Mayo,Tyrone ,are better games to do it.

No Fuc*ing way do we do it to in the kerry game.People here talk about dominating kerry the next few years,then people must understand to do that you must kick them when there down,suck the life out of them ,as they showed us No Mercey in 2002,2004,2007 etc,they fu**king annihated us.See the way Cody goes for the juglar against tipp,he's greatest rival recently ,knows there down,wants to keep them there.Yes we pay them the utmost respect after the game,laud them with compliments,when we beat them,like Micko done for years,beat Cork,Cork are the second best team in ireland.Not much good to us was it .

Of the field,i truly love kerry way of life,there cutness,hospitaliy,there freedom of spirit,there appreciation of good humour,nature,the simple things in life.If i met a kerry fan stranded in tralee ,i would drop him down to dingle ,etc not a bother ,or engage with them after matches.I love the banter with them and there good people.I geuinely mean that.

But on the field,no Mercey,they must be beaten at every chance.
    Cork management ,the west cork lads know the vitalilty of beating them and what it means to both,and i would love to be the team that relegates them.They in a must win game,fighting to stay up,would be a great championship test for us,and its important we like morgan team done in 87,knock the 1st blow,as we are a young team,and must develop we Dont fear Kerry,and not like counihans teams letting kerry develop a superioty complex over us.

Simply,after today the stakes went up .A must win game.

In regards Counihan,talk about a touch of irony,he on Setanta anaylising last night game ,what we done right and wrong etc.Hardly in a poistion to judge ,when Cork woefully underachieved with him and couldn't beat Kerry in Kerry.

Reminds me of Allen,great man to tell others how and what to do,yet they couldnt do it themesleves.

Setanta pick woeful anayalist at times.Morgan would be some anaylist, in that he actually knows what he talking about or Jack O Connor etc.
    I took everything Counihan said with a large pinch of salt.
    Superb win for Milford today,superb.

• Advertisement

Noel galvin didnt last the game as i just heard on the radio,ciaran sullivan said he was injured at half time.That was an interview with Michael Sclanlon on 103fm corks sports sunday.

As regarded roasted,i beg to differ.I watched that game 3 times,at the match,on setanta that i recorded and then tg4.He was beaten twice for two points by Mcneomanng
    One point,he was badily turned.,and it could of been a goal yes.

But that was he's1st legue start ,he did not get which he should of in the game v kildare, a full game.
    All the Cork full back line was in dissaray in the 1st 20 due to Dorman being picked in the corner.Him and cadogan were due to serious holes in that unit ,were defending Space rather than there men.

Galvin settled well after that 20 minute spell.I said he was unfairly taken off,and he seems by Ciaran interview,would have stayed but for injury.

What is hugehly significant is and correctly so they didnt bring mcloughlin on ,but reshuffled the team.They learned the lessons.Galvin had struggled with pace,against mcnemon who is super fast,galvin is fast,mclougiln would have been roasted.

Also the point people must note is come May,you need 3 subs that can cover the full back line,with injury,or black card.,
    I take it ,shields,cads,and cronin start.But suppose shields is out to play any part of a game for example.

We must have cover.
    Jamie sul is in at 2.,and Galvin is that other option with crowley on the bench as you with the black card need two lads used to playing ,2 or 4.

Mcloughlin aint up to it.Who else have we????
    Galvin is the best of whats there .
    Its fine to say he is not good enough,but who do you replace it him?
    In mcloughlin case it is different for example he isnt good enough,and Galvin at worst is better than him.

In regards the Derry game ,i hope Galvin is okay,as Crowley cant start, with the u21 game 3 days later, and Cadogan is wasting he's and Cork's time with the Hurlers,so we have only Shields ,and Cronin.

We are in trouble as we have no one else to start ,and also have no adequate cover.Dorman thank god is with the u21,so he cant be played out of poistion again.

Id say Mcloughin will get a game if galvin is out.Mcfaul v mcloughlin????a long day for him

In regards a comment on the kerry thread,kerry may be saved from relegation ,as we may not be UP for the game,as its the last one,and we may be qualifed ,and wont need the points like last year league final game,and May TAKE IT EASY ON THEM.COMPLETE NONENESE TO ENTERTAIN ANY SUCH THOUGHTS.

Im Sorry,but that is Wrong And Must not Happen.

Kerry,with the way there games are set up and what i saw today v Mayo(said mayo would win,should beaten them by more instead of di**king around with lateral handpassing)will do well to get one win from there next two games,tyrone at home live next week on tg4,and kildare away .If that happens,they should beat westmeath in mullingar,they probably need a result against us in April to be guaranteed to stay up or depending on results eleswhere to go there way.

Cork Must take that seriously,or the week after Aprils fools day,Our management will be the biggest fools if they don't go down to Tralee wanting and picking the Best 15 to win ,and without an Intent and Hunger to win.

They targetted last night game,Sullivan said so I believe on that basis,they are not fools,and will 100 per cent want to beat kerry for 3 reasons

1-to relegate kerry has huge implications for kerry,and hinders there development ,and that can only benefit Cork down the line

2 Kerry are our Enemy,dont ever forget that.We must treat them as such,and purely on the field have that contempt and hatred ,just as they have and always had with Cork on the ptich,and if we were in roles reversed they would want to relegate us,there ruthless,sense blood,go for juglar,thats why they are and always will be the Greatest ever football county.We must adopt that Ruthless with them.When there down,we Must Bury them .No Soft Mentality ah,its just a league game when it comes to Kerry.

(3)Cork players at junior,minor,and u21,schools,beaten kerry teams in kerry ,regulary down the years,no inferiority complex with kerry like cork seniors in 18 years in championship ,without a win in kerry.This new breed cant allow ghosts of past teams to haunt them,and to beat them in the championship in 2015 in killarney,we must beat them in kerry before them in the league.

If we beat them and relegate them we wont play them til next year championship ,as we wont have them in the league,and also a mcgrath cup game in kerry if we met isnt the same.
    If kerry do stay up,the league draw could well pit us at home next year-so this could be our only Chance to beat them in kerry ahead of 2015,We must (Carpie Diem)
    SEIZE THE MOMENT.

YES a lot can happen between now and 2015 july.But we must head there knowing we beat them in kerry in a must win game for them.
    If were to take it easy in any game,Mayo,Tyrone ,are better games to do it.

No Fuc*ing way do we do it to in the kerry game.People here talk about dominating kerry the next few years,then people must understand to do that you must kick them when there down,suck the life out of them ,as they showed us No Mercey in 2002,2004,2007 etc,they fu**king annihated us.See the way Cody goes for the juglar against tipp,he's greatest rival recently ,knows there down,wants to keep them there.Yes we pay them the utmost respect after the game,laud them with compliments,when we beat them,like Micko done for years,beat Cork,Cork are the second best team in ireland.Not much good to us was it .

Of the field,i truly love kerry way of life,there cutness,hospitaliy,there freedom of spirit,there appreciation of good humour,nature,the simple things in life.If i met a kerry fan stranded in tralee ,i would drop him down to dingle ,etc not a bother ,or engage with them after matches.I love the banter with them and there good people.I geuinely mean that.

But on the field,no Mercey,they must be beaten at every chance.
    Cork management ,the west cork lads know the vitalilty of beating them and what it means to both,and i would love to be the team that relegates them.They in a must win game,fighting to stay up,would be a great championship test for us,and its important we like morgan team done in 87,knock the 1st blow,as we are a young team,and must develop we Dont fear Kerry,and not like counihans teams letting kerry develop a superioty complex over us.

Simply,after today the stakes went up .A must win game.

In regards Counihan,talk about a touch of irony,he on Setanta anaylising last night game ,what we done right and wrong etc.Hardly in a poistion to judge ,when Cork woefully underachieved with him and couldn't beat Kerry in Kerry.

Reminds me of Allen,great man to tell others how and what to do,yet they couldnt do it themesleves.

Setanta pick woeful anayalist at times.Morgan would be some anaylist, in that he actually knows what he talking about or Jack O Connor etc.
    I took everything Counihan said with a large pinch of salt.
    Superb win for Milford today,superb.
    You should post that on the Kerry board. Cuthbert will have a choice to make ahead of the Kerry game, and it will be a simple choice. I doubt it will have anything to do with twisting the knife or kicking Kerry while they're down. He's seem very methodical and calculated. His choice will be either to maintain a winning run, keep confidence up and field a strong team against Kerry to keep momentum or alternatively, field an experimental team, give a few marginal players a bit more game time and rest some of his more established players ahead of a league semi-final the following week. I doubt Cuthbert will let sentiment come into it. I think Cuthbert would prefer to keep a winning mentality and momentum ahead of the league semi-final/final and continue progressing into championship. Afterall, it worked for Dublin last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Cuthbert has surprised me since he has took over. Early days but he is doing very well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,883 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Amprodude wrote: »
    Cuthbert has surprised me since he has took over. Early days but he is doing very well.

I was cautiously optimistic when he got the nod. He has been labelled a county board 'yes' man but I'm not too bothered if he is. What Cork have been crying out for in recent years is someone to get the best out of the players we had. That simply did not happen. We have had some of the best footballing forwards our county has seen in years and they barely got the opportunity to show what they could do. That has now changed. Playing a far faster brand of football with a mixture of hand and kick passing I think we will be a totally different prospect for any opposition. We also have options on the bench with a good mixture of youthful exuberance and experience.

Early days but I am very optimistic about our footballing credentials for the next few years.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    I was cautiously optimistic when he got the nod. He has been labelled a county board 'yes' man but I'm not too bothered if he is. What Cork have been crying out for in recent years is someone to get the best out of the players we had. That simply did not happen. We have had some of the best footballing forwards our county has seen in years and they barely got the opportunity to show what they could do. That has now changed. Playing a far faster brand of football with a mixture of hand and kick passing I think we will be a totally different prospect for any opposition. We also have options on the bench with a good mixture of youthful exuberance and experience.

Early days but I am very optimistic about our footballing credentials for the next few years.
    I suppose in the end with Counihan, Cork weren't attractive to watch, and they weren't successful in championship. If Cuthbert won nothing this year except a McGrath cup, at least you could the games as a spectacle.

Post it if you want Archer,i didnt do it to provoke an outcry,there in the kerry thread,and im sure it would,no skin of my nose ,my point for posting it,is to expose this soft mentality Cork football with Counihan ,has had against kerry teams and how that must be changed in the new set up,and that game is a Must win for kerry ,it means we must meet fire with fire and approach it head on.

We don't need to overcomplicate this,and say Cuthbhert will calucate accordingly and may try new players ,the simple fact is you dont look a gift horse in the mouth when its kerry,and there is plenty of times of trying things ,should we win next week,dublin should beat Kildare,so we are 6 ahaead of kildare,3 ahead of derry,and with 3 games left in a great place of a semifinal.

Try players to a point against Mayo ,and tyrone at home ,but we must go for a win agahpnst kerry and your letting emotion get in the way,its not twist the knife ,its a case a s atement of intent regards kerry and hindering there developent.If cuthbhert wants to begin an era of domination over them ,he must realise there is a Bigger picture at stake here now,and unlike counihan who was too conserative ,and lacked the conviction and the fortiude to see more than than one at a time,that Cost Cork last year.

Relegate kerry ,it hinders them,and anything that hinders them strengthens us.We have an opportunity to knock the wind from there sails ,on the 12th in u21 and 7th april,we must do that,as you dont get many chances to do that to kerry.

Ask any Cork fan,loose a league semifinal or go down to kerry ,a graveyard for many a cork team in the past ,and Relegate Kerry and put them in a dark place,the majority would say beat kerry.

We must get a siege mentality with kerry teams like morgan had,and cleary had with the u21 team in 10 years,and under Cuthbert that starts on April the 7th in Tralee.

A must win for cork.

I beg to differ on Galvin,still stick to my guns that he was roasted.

But as I already said I would give him another chance,see what he can do against Derry,depending on whether this injury hes meant to have is serious or not.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,883 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Archer3083 wrote: »
    I suppose in the end with Counihan, Cork weren't attractive to watch, and they weren't successful in championship. If Cuthbert won nothing this year except a McGrath cup, at least you could the games as a spectacle.

True, but I do think Munster this year is must win for us. I believe we have a better team than Kerry and I think we should have far more Munster championship wins to our name than we do. I want Cork to beat Kerry. I've seen too many good Cork teams lose to Kerry. The tables have turned I think. We are better than them in my opinion - but that counts for nothing, absolutely nothing. We need to prove it by beating them.
    As has been mentioned, the new bread of Cork footballer have fond memories of beating Kerry at other grades, I would like to continue at senior level. Not an easy task, as Kerry will never have a 'bad ' footballing team - but at the moment I think we are better - time to prove it this summer.

Post it if you want Archer,i didnt do it to provoke an outcry,there in the kerry thread,and im sure it would,no skin of my nose ,my point for posting it,is to expose this soft mentality Cork football with Counihan ,has had against kerry teams and how that must be changed in the new set up,and that game is a Must win for kerry ,it means we must meet fire with fire and approach it head on.

We don't need to overcomplicate this,and say Cuthbhert will calucate accordingly and may try new players ,the simple fact is you dont look a gift horse in the mouth when its kerry,and there is plenty of times of trying things ,should we win next week,dublin should beat Kildare,so we are 6 ahaead of kildare,3 ahead of derry,and with 3 games left in a great place of a semifinal.

Try players to a point against Mayo ,and tyrone at home ,but we must go for a win agahpnst kerry and your letting emotion get in the way,its not twist the knife ,its a case a s atement of intent regards kerry and hindering there developent.If cuthbhert wants to begin an era of domination over them ,he must realise there is a Bigger picture at stake here now,and unlike counihan who was too conserative ,and lacked the conviction and the fortiude to see more than than one at a time,that Cost Cork last year.

Relegate kerry ,it hinders them,and anything that hinders them strengthens us.We have an opportunity to knock the wind from there sails ,on the 12th in u21 and 7th april,we must do that,as you dont get many chances to do that to kerry.

Ask any Cork fan,loose a league semifinal or go down to kerry ,a graveyard for many a cork team in the past ,and Relegate Kerry and put them in a dark place,the majority would say beat kerry.

We must get a siege mentality with kerry teams like morgan had,and cleary had with the u21 team in 10 years,and under Cuthbert that starts on April the 7th in Tralee.

A must win for cork.
    I know what I'd like to have happen, but that won't dominate Cuthbert's thinking. So far, he's done what he said he was going to do. He's been very measured in his interviews. He's only worried about winning a league and winning Sam. Relegating Kerry won't be enough for him. So, he'll only do what's necessary to achieve his objectives. If he considers it important for this Cork team to beat Kerry and relegate them, then he'll field a strong team. This is not a must win game. If Cuthbert has any injury concerns, he won't risk players that are 75% for a game against Kerry in Austin Stacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Archer3083 wrote: »
    What about Darach Honan for Clare last year. He's a big man, and he caused defences lots of trouble. Walter Walsh against Galway in the replay of the All-Ireland final in 2012. I accept your point that the big man in the full forward line won't work every time. You can't put a big man in there like Cussen for instance and expect success. The big man needs to be intelligent and skillful. Also, you can't expect the ploy of the big man to work every time. As already said here by a number of posters, you can't lump ball down on a big man every chance you get. It has to be varied. I think Cronin could easily fill that role for Cork, but I wouldn't suggest that this tactic be overused.

Walter Walsh and Darach Honan are fast, Cronin isn't. Honan and Walsh are used to playing near the goals, Cronin isn't. Honan and Walsh are more skillful than Cronin. I don't see how your comparison between these three players is valid, it just goes back to my point about Cronin lacks the necessary qualities for an inter-county full-forward - goal instinct, speed, skill.

• Advertisement

Orizio wrote: »
    Walter Walsh and Darach Honan are fast, Cronin isn't. Honan and Walsh are used to playing near the goals, Cronin isn't. Honan and Walsh are more skillful than Cronin. I don't see how your comparison between these three players is valid, it just goes back to my point about Cronin lacks the necessary qualities for an inter-county full-forward - goal instinct, speed, skill.
    You made the point that the day of the big man is gone. That's why I referred to Darach Honan and Walter Walsh. Big men still do have a place on the full forward line of both football and hurling teams, but it's a ploy that can't be overused. Didn't Cronin play on the full forward line against Clare in the replay, and didn't he score a goal! Cronin is also plenty skillful enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

IMG_4178_zps26f67c16.jpg

Thanks for the tickets lukin!

Went in for the hurling match which was a disappointing enough afair. Tommy Walsh, Colin Fennelly and Richie Hogan ran the show!

A good win against Dublin. Very enjoyable game to watch, the first half was played at a fast pace. Dublin's forwards looked very sharp and seemed to have alot of space throughtout the match. They should have done better, they had 5 or 6 wides in a 10/15 minute spell which they should have score 2 or 3 points. Dublin are a good team to watch live.

Cork did very well but it looked like we were going back to our old ways with the hand passing in parts of the second half.

K O'Halloran - 9
    C Dorman - 5
    E Cadogan - 6.5
    N Galvin - 2
    J Loughrey - 7
    A Cronin - 5
    T Clancy - 5
    A Walsh - 5.5
    F Goold - 4
    J O'Rourke - 5.5
    P Kerrigan - 5
    M Collins - 4
    D Goulding - 7.5
    B Hurley - 7.5
    J Hayes - 7
    D Og Hodnett - 6.5
    C O'Neill - 7
    R Deane - 5
    A O'Sullivan - 5

All and all I was delighted I went to the match, first time seeing Cork play live since Donegal AI semi final 2012. The management seem to be doing things right. I just hope we don't seen Cork playing the hand passing game when the pressure is put on in championship.

If we meet Dublin in championship will we beat them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭lukin

Thanks for the tickets lukin!

You're welcome. Glad you enjoyed the game.

Fao of the Big Green.

This is nothing Personal,purely me juding your post.As posts are put up,they are open for crtitiism.

With respect your match ratings are truly awful ,absymal be honest.You seemed to be in a good vantage point.

Do you know Kevin Crowley played for close to 50 minutes??

How you rate Dorman at all is just farcial??how can you rate a guy that has been destroyed at U21 games,challenge games ,minor in the full back line is beyond logic.

To give him a 5 over cronin,is just laughable.Cronin played much better,for the hour,really tightened up that defence ,and was superb,one superb midfield catch,and was always showing for the ball.
    you give galvin a two ,on one of the best forwards in the country ,and only taken of as was injured ,yet Dorman you shouldnt rate was better.

Christ above i crticised hayes many times,but to say hurley was .5 better is wronghayes got 1-3 from play fouled two more scores.

Kerrigan got man of the man ,and he gets 5.GOULD you got right ,fair play ,Well done.
    Clancy was a modern wing back in every way ,he gets 5.

Collins gets a four .
    O rourke get 5.5
    Half forward line that dominated dublin in such Ericl Lowndes ,a hugely rated star had to be taken off ,and cian o sullivan put to 6,,gets 15 out of 30.

Im sorry not,nothing personal,but as i lad that was also there and saw a wonderful display by a cork team with 7 that never played in Croke park before ,around 8 either still U21 our were last year, those ratings are woeful and must be exposed as that ,and its a complete contradiction when you say cork played very well ,yet you rate 19 players,they get a Paltry around 100 out of 200 in total.Everyone knows my standards are high ,but in gaa terms Only that post is the height of stupidity.

I do think that post is a diservice to Corks display,you know too well that too,and you just want a reaction from cork fans,i believe,Dublin are are a joy to watch ,and Cork ,went back to the old passing style at times,yet not once you complinemt Cork styles ,the game every match report said we kicked more ball than we did in 4 years.

You then really expose the flaws in the post ,Cork played very well ,yet you rating players overall got less than half your ratings.
    How was that???

Its easy know you havent been at a cork match since 2012,as if you did you would know the complete contrast of styles with our game saturday,and know we handpassed 40 per cent less than that game,when in thes half in that Donegal game we had 101 handpasses in the 1st half around and 99 in the second half,that 200 total.You should take that to accnunt when you say Cork went back to old habits.They didnt.That point you raised is flawed.

How in the name of jesus you dock colm o neill 3 marks is clueless in gaa terms and truly begs belief.Do you actually know anything reagrads Cork foobtall.Colm hasnt f**cking played 1 single match of Any kind ,at club even in a year ,ist game back against the All ireland champions,he gets two points in there own back door ,and it was absurd to
    Even the rate the lad firstly after 3 woeful injuries

Then when you do,what he done was above expected ,you do know he got two points,one point up there with the greatest ever by a cork man in croker ,you say with a 7 rating.

And these .5 ffs ,in honesty.I always hate these numbers,simply as its people like you make a mockery of the rating system,and you would be better of saying how you think he did,hes strong aeras etc and weak aeras.

There should be an inquiry in to Corks win ,as by your satings we were damn lucky to win it.

Your ratings,are poor judgement,and dont show the true value to that cork team saturday night ,and you try to expose flaws in our display ,when the greatest respect any cork fan or neutral watching that match ,and seeing you rate man of the watch 5.5,know the biggest flaw of all is your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

Young Crowley had a good match, a huge talent in the making, nice lad to chat to too.

Tis only a game!

Young Crowley had a good match, a huge talent in the making, nice lad to chat to too.

Tis only a game!
    Tis,and i met kevin many times,a gent.

You would think if your such a big fan,common courtsey to rate the lad that played 50 minutes,and acknowledge what a wonderful debut he had and the block he made on mccafery.

Aso if you highlight dublin a joy to watch,and yes they were show cork the same grace ,and mention hayes splendid goal.!!!
    Also i notice of all the points i raised,you ignored

If your going to criticse lads harshly,please have the courtsey to state why,than stay in a lazy,comfort,zone of numbers.

I critcise many players,but i always say why and back it.Most posters,here would acknowlege that.
    Feel free to tell us how man of the match got just 5.!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭thesultan

Watched the CIT WIT game at the weekend. Young KEane looked promising.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

corny wrote: »
    And Flynn, Daly, O Carroll, Brennan and Rock.;)

We were missing Michael Shields Jamie O'Sullivan Thomas Clancy Damien Cahalane Paddy Kelly and Donnacha O'Connnor.;) Of course it's only the league but we layed down a serious marker on Saturday night.I think we are in the process of building a team with great pace, strength and athleticism and i can think we have the potential to be the best all out footballing side in the country.Write us off at your peril.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

Have to agree with thinkstoomuch,the ratings are miles off 'the big green'!

Each lad is entilted to give his own opinion of what he sees with his own eyes,each person views a game differently,but in my opinion that was one of the best all round displays Cork gave as a panel for a long time,players that up to now werent performing for 35-40 mins,not to mind a full game really stepped up on Saturday night,so i'd take issue with most of those ratings.

Roll on Derry now on Sunday,they really look like a decent outfit,scoring well,great movement,another hard 70min game ahead!

• Advertisement

At corl u21 hurling challenge 1st there season tonight,v clare i post report later be late do.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement