Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭corkrobinhood

@tinktstoomuch1 how did Daniel Harrington play for Midleton?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

At u16 and half ,Im very mindful these are youngs lads and there learning.Its a very young age.

People know i criticse ,senior and u21 players etc,and i do that cause its fairs etc.

Young lads at 16 and half are much younger,so i aint going to criticise too much.My harshest critics hear in this thread would do well to remember that when they think i am too harsh on senior lads.Im not.It comes with the terriorty in regards Senior lads.

At u16 and half it is a different ball game.Yes it is about winning,but it is at that level about enjoyment also.

How did Daniel Harrgqngton play?
    He played as well as he could have had,and like parker who was taken of ,it was just that a different style of player at that time in the game was needed.He like every other player at that age has a lot to learn.
    He played a vital part in a great win.

Some players played better than others as smith and martin were sublime outstanding,but no lad on either team played poor,thats just my view

Daniel harrington and the other 16 men should be proud ,they all were magnifcelemty,superb ,in that they all contriubted to a superb 1 point win.

Midetion at 1.30 monday play a waterford team in the rice cup in fraher field.

Athenry team-last photo didnt show

The athenry panel today,had such a pick,look at the clubs hurling strongholds

And had panel of 34 players to midelton 24

Most intercounty panels would struggle to get 34

That shows how a big win it was for midelton and how good Athenry were.

The galway team are a fine side
    And in the future could have a few galway minors

On a slighty of topic,but i think it should be mentioned,and he is realated to kieran donaghy i think they said,but a big gaa fan,the very brave Ronan Fitzgerald with hes mother was on the saturday night show just now.

He got a life threatening concussion just training with hes rubgy team in a freak accident.
    Fair play,and great to see this young brave ,and wonderfully resilent lad is on hes way to a great recovery.

Best of luck to the lad in the future.

Concussion is something that is being addressed in rubgy,it is a danger in gaa too and must be addressed in gaa for our players safety.

As much as devasting and awful,truly awful-a cruciate injury is,at leasts it not life threatening ,as like concussion can be.

Fair play To Ronan,he is a wonderful young man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Smith614

Thinkstoomuch. U should have ur own column in the examiner, fab knowledge of cork hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

On a slighty of topic,but i think it should be mentioned,and he is realated to kieran donaghy i think they said,but a big gaa fan,the very brave Ronan Fitzgerald with hes mother was on the saturday night show just now.

He got a life threatening concussion just training with hes rubgy team in a freak accident.
    Fair play,and great to see this young brave ,and wonderfully resilent lad is on hes way to a great recovery.

Best of luck to the lad in the future.

Concussion is something that is being addressed in rubgy,it is a danger in gaa too and must be addressed in gaa for our players safety.

As much as devasting and awful,truly awful-a cruciate injury is,at leasts it not life threatening ,as like concussion can be.

Fair play To Ronan,he is a wonderful young man.
    You're right. The GAA aren't doing enough when it comes to concussion. First of all there should be an impartial doctor at every game with no ties to either team that is playing. That doctor should assess every player that has a head injury and he should make the call as to whether the player remains on the field or not. A team doctor should not be allowed to make this decision as he is going to do what is best for the team and may be under pressure from team manager, fans, county board etc. I've never seen this incident raised or talked about but I was disgusted that Rory O'Carroll was kept on the field for the last 10/15 mins of the All-Ireland final even though he was concussed because Dublin had used all their subs and Dublin just wanted to keep him on the field so that they could finish the game with 15 players. The guy said afterwards that he doesn't remember those last 10 or 15 mins. Everyone knows that a second blow to the head is the most dangerous thing. He could easily have suffered a long term problem if he got a second big bang. I lost a little respect for Jim Gavin after that incident. It can't be win at all costs. Another incident last year was the concussion that John Conlon got playing against Cork in Munster. It was an accident but he was left on the field too long afterwards. At one stage he asked Davy which way he was playing. His blood pressure went through the roof. He returned to training too soon after this concussion and actually complained of headaches whilst training. Bad management of the condition by the medical staff. Also, it's alarming that certain individual players are picking up alot of concussions. Richie Power is a perfect example. He has got 3 concussions in the last 2 years in championship. I think everyone remembers the one he got against Cork last year, and against Limerick the year before. This cannot be good for his long term welfare. I think the compulsory use of helmets in hurling has made certain guys think that they can hit their opponent harder. It's not the case at all.

One simple step could minimise the after effects of concussion. Have an independent doctor assess the player. And have a set period of time before a player can return to training or competitive matches. I think 6 weeks is normally recommended. So a player should be banned from playing games at club and county level until that 6 weeks expires. Again, if this was done centrally by the GAA, the decision would be taken out of the hands of the manager and player. And there would be no peer pressure on the player to return before he's ready.

Smith614 wrote: »
    Thinkstoomuch. U should have ur own column in the examiner, fab knowledge of cork hurling.

Thanks man-they would not have enough sports pages for my long posts though ha ha
    :|

Dubs beat Kildare so a win tommorrow and were close to a semifinal
    As we have a bit of daylight with the rest

Beat derry,3 ahead of them,6 ahead of kildare

Its 1 v4,2 v3 in the semifinals

Archer3083 wrote: »
    You're right. The GAA aren't doing enough when it comes to concussion. First of all there should be an impartial doctor at every game with no ties to either team that is playing. That doctor should assess every player that has a head injury and he should make the call as to whether the player remains on the field or not. A team doctor should not be allowed to make this decision as he is going to do what is best for the team and may be under pressure from team manager, fans, county board etc. I've never seen this incident raised or talked about but I was disgusted that Rory O'Carroll was kept on the field for the last 10/15 mins of the All-Ireland final even though he was concussed because Dublin had used all their subs and Dublin just wanted to keep him on the field so that they could finish the game with 15 players. The guy said afterwards that he doesn't remember those last 10 or 15 mins. Everyone knows that a second blow to the head is the most dangerous thing. He could easily have suffered a long term problem if he got a second big bang. I lost a little respect for Jim Gavin after that incident. It can't be win at all costs. Another incident last year was the concussion that John Conlon got playing against Cork in Munster. It was an accident but he was left on the field too long afterwards. At one stage he asked Davy which way he was playing. His blood pressure went through the roof. He returned to training too soon after this concussion and actually complained of headaches whilst training. Bad management of the condition by the medical staff. Also, it's alarming that certain individual players are picking up alot of concussions. Richie Power is a perfect example. He has got 3 concussions in the last 2 years in championship. I think everyone remembers the one he got against Cork last year, and against Limerick the year before. This cannot be good for his long term welfare. I think the compulsory use of helmets in hurling has made certain guys think that they can hit their opponent harder. It's not the case at all.

One simple step could minimise the after effects of concussion. Have an independent doctor assess the player. And have a set period of time before a player can return to training or competitive matches. I think 6 weeks is normally recommended. So a player should be banned from playing games at club and county level until that 6 weeks expires. Again, if this was done centrally by the GAA, the decision would be taken out of the hands of the manager and player. And there would be no peer pressure on the player to return before he's ready.

top top post.bang on

• Advertisement

Thanks man-they would not have enough sports pages for my long posts though ha ha
    :|
    Did you ever think of writing a column for the Echo or something like that, cos you'd be well able for it. I like the way your posts are opinionated. I hate reading articles in the paper that are just matter of fact reports of what happened in a game. It's much better to get the articles that express an opinion which brings me onto my next subject.

I read Tony Considine and Bernard Flynn's normal weekly articles in the Examiner and Irish Daily Mirror as usual, and I was annoyed by the how critical they both were of Davy Fitzgeralds honest and frank speech in LIT this week. Davy is not a man that goes on with any bull, he's honest and he just told the truth this week. Bernard Flynn wanted to deny that the GAA has any problem with drugs. In fairness, the GAA doesn't have specific problem with drugs, but like everythings else in life, there'll always be someone who dabbles in drugs. I'm not judging anyone, but it would be naieve to think that no GAA players do drugs. Bernard Flynn was in complete denial in his column. He's said that in all his years of playing and training that he's never once come across drug use. I think he's burying his head in the sand here. He might not have witnessed drug use, but that doesn't mean that it didn't happen. Also, Tony Conisidine slated Davy because he said that Davy didn't name individual people. He said that every player on the Clare team was tainted by the allegation of drug use, and that innocent players will be looked at with suspicion now. I doubt that very much. Davy couldn't possibly name names cos he could slander their someone. That's just basic common sense. So, obviously Davy wasn't going to come out and give the names of players that were using drugs. That would be pure stupidity. He made a general point about drug use, it's highlighted an issue that's not unique to GAA, but is going on as a whole in Ireland. It's been blown out of proportion and I think a few guys who don't like Davy are using this to get at him. It's not really fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Horse84

In my opinion Davy was wrong with what he did in what he said that speech. Completely wrong. While drug taking undoubtedly happens in the gaa and it's absolutely right to highlight it but the manner in which he did it and how he said it was wrong.

I haven't heard of any reaction from the Clare panel but if I was a member of it I would be hopping mad, I mean fuming. It's akin to the sanctity of the dressing room and what happens in there stays in there. It was serious breech of trust in my view. Like it or not they did seem to be all painted with the one brush and I sincerely doubt that it was widespread.

Davy demands a huge amount from players and yes it's been proven that it works with results that have been achieved but to say that about your players and remember some of them very young, some of them would've been young teens when he took over was wrong. It does seem to be all about him, u know how he rooted out drugs etc.
    I think he came out afterwards and said he didn't know that the speech was recorded which would suggest he's gotten some negative feedback about it or is very naive in this day and age when everyone has a smartphone.

Like it or not I do think there's a bit of an ego going on with him, which isn't a bad thing at times, but he does like to get his name in the headlines and every week it seems to be something else.
    People will criticise me here now and say Davy calls it as he sees it but in my view he overstepped the mark big time but it's becoming almost unacceptable to criticise him as that's the defence all the time. He also seems to be becoming a champion of anti bullying which once again is an issue deserving Of publicity however his antics on the sideline towards refs, opposing players and supporters is downright disgraceful at times and is a form of bullying in itself. And no before it's said, it's just Davy being passionate and will to win etc etc it's simply not acceptable at all and that's been said by Clare supporters as well.

Now I'll get roasted for saying all of the above but they are my views on it and I'm not one that's rabidly anti Davy, my previous posts have been largely positive on the man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Horse84 wrote: »
    In my opinion Davy was wrong with what he did in what he said that speech. Completely wrong. While drug taking undoubtedly happens in the gaa and it's absolutely right to highlight it but the manner in which he did it and how he said it was wrong.

I haven't heard of any reaction from the Clare panel but if I was a member of it I would be hopping mad, I mean fuming. It's akin to the sanctity of the dressing room and what happens in there stays in there. It was serious breech of trust in my view. Like it or not they did seem to be all painted with the one brush and I sincerely doubt that it was widespread.

Davy demands a huge amount from players and yes it's been proven that it works with results that have been achieved but to say that about your players and remember some of them very young, some of them would've been young teens when he took over was wrong. It does seem to be all about him, u know how he rooted out drugs etc.
    I think he came out afterwards and said he didn't know that the speech was recorded which would suggest he's gotten some negative feedback about it or is very naive in this day and age when everyone has a smartphone.

Like it or not I do think there's a bit of an ego going on with him, which isn't a bad thing at times, but he does like to get his name in the headlines and every week it seems to be something else.
    People will criticise me here now and say Davy calls it as he sees it but in my view he overstepped the mark big time but it's becoming almost unacceptable to criticise him as that's the defence all the time. He also seems to be becoming a champion of anti bullying which once again is an issue deserving Of publicity however his antics on the sideline towards refs, opposing players and supporters is downright disgraceful at times and is a form of bullying in itself. And no before it's said, it's just Davy being passionate and will to win etc etc it's simply not acceptable at all and that's been said by Clare supporters as well.

Now I'll get roasted for saying all of the above but they are my views on it and I'm not one that's rabidly anti Davy, my previous posts have been largely positive on the man.

A very good post, and id have to agree with most of it. Davy seems to leave a fair amount of collateral damage in his wake but people are saying its because of his commitment and passion. There are a lot of disgruntled people within and outside his own county because of some of his antics.
    Gaa is a small part of life

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

I wouldnt be Davy's number 1 fan at all, especially at his antics on the sideline and on the field. I've had the pleasure of meeting him off the field many years ago and to be honest he's a gent. There's the old saying or mentality that you leave your friendship off the field and when you get on there's no such thing as friends and he 100% epitomises that. As regards the drugs talk, i think he called it like it was. He wasn't saying take drugs and u'll make the clare panel, if anything he was saying the opposite. There might've been a problem, like there is on most young panels, it was addressed (and presuming he was talking about the current crop), they won the AI. Now i wouldn't be happy if i was lets say a panel member who was dropped in the last 3 years and a few eyebrows might be raised.

With regards to today... 3 point win for the footballers, 7/8 points for the hurlers.

With rain likely,i expect a slumber ,flat game of hurling with the team picked .

Cork to win but ,id be suprised if we have any great cohesion or rythmen in that Cadogan is a weak link at 5,we dont what side of the bed egan got of,could have a great game,or could go through the motions.

Cork to get a big score need to dominate from half back ,but unless offaly dnt show up ,and they are awful,then that unit wnt dominate.

Keane i expect to have a stormer in the air,and hurl lot of ball,and suited by the weather,but at times will like ellis be exposed for lack of pace.

Ellis is fine physically but hes lack of hurling will be shown up again.Should survive today,but that not goodd enough

To make the cut in may he must be outstanding to day.What may work is if kearney went to midfield,and mcloughlin as a sweeper,and ellis as a physicall buffer to shore up the middle ,and we play a possesion game.

The cork team need a game plan todaythey if offaly go sweeper we have to do what i just said above.
    If offaly go to hurl man v man we even with that poor team ,beat them handy,if they keep there shape,and unless mcdonnell is switchd with keane and we do a sweeper ,we could be in for a lacklustre frustraing day.If we play a possesion game with a sweeper we could win 20 plus.

That team doesnt inspire me,and im not convinced,jbm will play a sweeper or possesion game to get the most out of them ,so a 5-10 point win is what i expect,and thats not worth a fu**k to us as limerick i expect beat wexford by around 9 points or more ,and we are already chasing a 16 point defict.

A 20 point margin is what we need but i cant see it.

The football,is a huge banna skin ,that could happen as were of the crest of awave with the dublin win,crowley,vaughan ,dorman etc u21 are gone ,Walsh and cadogan are hurling ,and Deane injury is sure to cast a downer on last week ,add in the crowded.greal physical game ,and slow congested game,Derry have a real chance today.

Cork wont be able to play with pace like last week ,so have grind out a win and walsh is a huge loss in that regard,as not only do we nedmd hes drive,expierence and leadership ,we need he ball winning ability against lynch.

Also O sullivan wont have the vision to break down a massed derry defence ,so the winning of the game could be the introduction of laoire to win loose ball and then move it fast .

We can win and should if we have real intensity to our game ,and if management act fast when the need arises.

Hayes ,today is a real test of inner resolve.Must carry on last weeks great display,has to make space and earn it today ,and Grit it out.

These games are ones he struggled with in the past and the consistency to put two games back to back.Today we will know if he has turned a corner.

Gould ,must step up in place of Walsh.Must do more a lot more.I doubt he will though.

If fowards get ball we will score and win.Midfield is my huge concern with two very average intercounty midfielders that struggled there for there clubs.Gould has the talent,lacks the temparment,o sullivan has bags of attuide but no skill.

Cork to win ,just about.But this is a game we must threat with Extreme
    Caution.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭slingerz

John McLoughlin starts instead of Tom Clancy who is ill. Rory O'Sullivan takes his place on the bench

Lads whats going on in Pairc Ui Rinn, i looked after 10 mins it was like 2-7 to 3 points... now its 2-17 3-13??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,883 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Connorzee wrote: »
    Lads whats going on in Pairc Ui Rinn, i looked after 10 mins it was like 2-7 to 3 points... now its 2-17 3-13??

Well, we won!! 2-18 v 3-14

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Well, we won!! 2-18 v 3-14

Christ, im not in Cork, is there a gale or something?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,883 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Connorzee wrote: »
    Christ, im not in Cork, is there a gale or something?

No, not a bad day.

Limerick beat wexford - by 3 points

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Brian017

What local radio takes commentary of Cork hurling matches?

Brian017 wrote: »
    What local radio takes commentary of Cork hurling matches?

c103

Can ye believe it? Ciarán Kilkenny's season is over with cruciate damage. They're dropping like flies! It's very tough, another fantastic talent will miss this year's championship.

Archer3083 wrote: »
    Can ye believe it? Ciarán Kilkenny's season is over with cruciate damage. They're dropping like flies! It's very tough, another fantastic talent will miss this year's championship.

Beyond fúking joke at this stage.

It's ridiculous. At this stage I'm thinking GAA must be more dangerous than riding bulls or bucking broncos in a rodeo.

Cork get over the line, 6 points 1-24 v 1-18

Cork get over the line, 6 points 1-24 v 1-18
    How did Walsh and Cadogan do?

Wasn't at it, Walsh had a good first half apparently, we'll have to wait for the detailed account.

Wasn't at it, Walsh had a good first half apparently, we'll have to wait for the detailed account.
    Hopefully Thinkstoomuch1 will fill us in on their performance later. I couldn't get to the game either, and it's hard to tell from the radio commentary.

• Advertisement

The football

I said this would be close,and even when we went up 8 points i could see it was more to what derry allowed us do,so i knew derry would make a comeback .

Stand up colm o neill -2 superb dead balls our match winner.Superb.

Mcloughlin is a huge concern ,but the management did not have much options today.
    To be honest ,as derry were awful and barely attacked,he wasnt tested in the 1st twenty ,but when o halloahan made the save ,mcloughlin was poor as derry cut through our defence.He damn lucky to start ,but was so awful had to be taken of and paddy kelly had to go on for him .

Derry dissapointed me,no intenisty or hunger,never showed up in that 25 minute.
    Game was over at 25 minutes,2-8 to 3 - people thought but lets not be fooled as good as we were ,they gave us lots of space.

Muldoon was a big loss to them in the middle.And yet they destroyed us.
    They played 15 v 15,loads of space.

A great win 8 points, in four game,and almost ,guaranteed a leauge semifinal .Derry are 3 behind us and Tyrone loosing ,means were 2 ahead of them,and 6 ahead of kildare.
    All thats up to decide is our placing as 1 v 4 and 2 v 3.
    A top two should be our focus.

And Kerry is the must win game .

Mayo we should expierment slightly as If we loose we have Tyrone at home .

What we learned is we have pace,and real scoring ,and can play an open fast game .I want to be tested in a wet heavy day ,against a team that congests the middle third,Mayo or Tyrone hopefully wont ,be as open and test us as Derry were in that 25 minutes,.Derry did test us in the 2nd half and we just bt got away with it.Good to win another close game.

What is pleasing is game in,the fast movement of ball ,the fast movement of the player,rotating of the forwards and the spatial awarness attacking wise.Managememt desereve credit for that .What management Deserve huge criticism is for leaving laoire warm hes hole for most of the match.And the failure to Recognise huge problems at midfield.

What is a huge worry is Gould,who had a blinding 20 min,does what he does,goes missing.Derry were slow to start,no intensity that suited him.Hes skills were fine them.But when derry stood up and grew in to the game,and showed intenstity gould was nowhere to be seen

Butcher even in that 1st twenty was awful absent without leave.Awful.

Must have got just a handful of the ball.He was awful in the game .

Jesus we conceded two goals and could have been 3 but for the outstanding Hallorhan in the 1st half.

When Derry got in to the game from 25 min to the 70 ,they caused huge problems ,and it was then and then only when the management made subs,we managed to win it.Our Dream Midfield pairing in some peoples view ,went missing.When the Need was Greatest,we couldnt win a ball to save our lives at midfield.

What was woeful is the 3 goals we left in and Mcloughlin was woeful in all 3.My fears for him again validated ,as he was poor .No other  options today but ,still we must look for better ,than mcloughlin.Wall should have been used though.Couldnt of been any worse.

Jamie sul,galvin,cadogan with crowley ,he won get a game when those come back in.If were that  short in the meantime ,peter daly bring in .Daly isnt intercounty ,but as i said before he is ten times better than mcloughlin was or ever will be.It at the stage,anyone bar mcloughlin.

Halloran-superb

Cronin-troubled with the high ball .Grew in to the game ,and was solid.Is fine with cadogan at 3 for high ball.

Shields-dodgy start,grew in to it,had a superb game.That game will bring him on.

Mcloughlin-poor.
    A lad tried to convince me he best position is half back for Cork.You must be joking me.
    Best posistion,left back ,left back in the dressing room i hate to say.He tries hard,and is brave but it is awful to see a lad try so hard ,do a game he simply cant do .Wonderful attuide but just lacks a bit of quality.

Loughrey ,solid  game,great kickpassing ,and defended well at times but beaten a few times also.There is more in him.Solid today,a starter in the Championship.

Clancy-great going forward,exposed at times due to o driscoll being destroyed by kielt the best derry player.A super goal,strong,and very physical ,just needs time to get the balance with attacking and defending.That will comse in time when him and loughrey have a settled partner at 7.Learning with each game.Terricfic talent.

O driscoll-deserved game today,but exposed like i said he would be ,fine club and junior player,not at this level.

Gould-open game,all star perfeormence ,when it became a real match,and he had to stand up to be counted ,he went Missing.
    BUTCHER.-sweet lord,truly absmal when you ask him kick a ball.

Im sorry lads a footballer must be able to kick a ball.See what i said about hes handpassing also.Slow and sideways ,too static.Cuthberts gives him a full game.A joke.
    Corks attack when he got the ball,fell down many times.I said it thursday we wont do anything with him or gould there.But hes guaranteed to start the championship.

Laoire must get games,and Paul flynn called up.Rory o sullivan is an option but i would worry regards injury.Flynn is fast,athletic,powerful runner and doesnt go missing in games.Cant be any worse than Sullivan.Oh he can kick a ball also.

Full of grit,steam,and effort.But very limited and slow.A ploughorse at best.No where close to intercounty.
    Cuthbhert ,its a poor reflection when you have blinded loyalty to him.

O rourke,superb,work rate,running,and work rate,2 awesome points and a super goal.A star player.A black card,but i couldnt fault the lad for that.He will learn .An automatic starter in the championship.

Kerrigan-worked very hard,had some great runs and helped defence out many times.Two back to back game,well done Paul.3 super points.Turned a corner??
    Very much so .

Collins,two great points when the need was greatest,a superb link man with defence and attack ,and always gave a superb final pass.Hughely vital to the team.

Hayes-1st 20 he was awesome,lots of  space,creating many points for cork,however when derry marked up and raised the intensity,he didnt show at all in the second half.
    I didnt expect 1-3 but today he didnt even score.I ASked for him and kerrigan to put two back to back games together.Kerrigan did and got 3 points.Hayes didnt.

Flashes are no good.When the need is greatest ,again hayes wasnt up for it.No suprise he was taken off.

.Unlikey to make the starting 15,Colm in two games with less football already nailed on to start -and donnacha is a better sub.

Hayes shows flashes of what he can do but couldnt last the game or today,not making a real statement.As a sub,have him there ,but thats it .The last game i said i didnt blame him,as it was a fast pace.Today the pace wasnt the same.Not an excuse.

Hurley-got great points always showed for the ball .and was great without it.Has more in him.

Goulding was solid,good placed balls.Had a good work rate.Quiet by hes own standards but i have no fear of him in championship.

Colm was awesome -superb from placed balls,and he showed and won most ball that cames he way.Couldnt fault him.A certain starter,and will injury free get better with games and get back to all star form.
    Donnacha was very good,won a lot of ball ,and showed great leadership and compusure bringing others in to the play when he came on.

The hurling

Everything i expected.I posted in my preview-i expected a stale,lethasgic,and stumble peformance.I So before people say he is at again,ffs wake up and read my preview.I said and feared this could happen ,it did.

Limerick suprised me with a 3 point,still they won do .

Offaly played with a sweeper.
    Cork still to f**k cant beat that systdem(yes we won but a 6 point win against a woeful offaly team is a loss in truth) , we did managed to counter that a bit,had egan as our spare man sweeping up awesomely between our full back line and halfback line.Hes delivery of ball to the forwards was top notch.Wasnt tested one v one ,so still has bigger tests ahead.He got two superb points.Today he got out the right side of the bed,the next day is the ???

Thats the 3rd flat game in a row.Serious worries,no Hunger,intent,intensity and there is no excuse ,as cork had the benfit of knowing we had ,a 19 point deficit to make up ,before we played our game,as the limerick and wexford game was already played at that stage.WE Now have to make up a 13 point deficit in two games.No way ,as we have to match what limerick do ,then do better.We would do well to beat wexford by 8 points.
    UP TO antrim and get a big win.Ffs people are dreaming if they think ,we will after a long bus journey up(county board hardly legalise a trip by airoplane when the White elephant must be paid for)and we wnt be div 1next year ,gate recipts this and next year take a huge hit ,)there it seems a long journey up.

No way will Cork beat Antrim by 20 points.We have a better chance of  swimming from the coast of antrim to scotland,before that happens.

Wait for the media words of wisdom,now wising up ,and in the coming days ,and weeks saying ho div2 is bad,and how cork lost a golden chance against limerick and laois.

I said that for weeks.And i knew we would pay dearly for the lack of being ruthless.Wait oh wait,for the experts now to come out of there shell.They are serious problems within this cork team,and management arent seeing those ,and the way things are going we will do well to beat waterford in 13 weeks.

OFFALY  were awful.Worse that i thought they could be.And they played a sweeper,but unlike laois for example at no intensity and yet
    There extra man ,caused us huge problems in defence   ,and same old ,we let Walsh who had a good game be double marked for large periolds.Cork still fail to play a possesion game.

Whelanan is the new in job,but still he looks like a manager devoid of any real direction to there team.

Ellis didnt start,o shea came in to replace him ,ellis was No Loss.

Nash-superb,two great saves

O nell-awesome,covered majestically

Mcdonnell-played at wing back ,far too loose at times,but hurled a lot of ball.

Killan murphy ,solid start,faded in the end.We have options do.
    Cadogan,poor,lets judge on what the standard should be.Miles off.Caught 4 balls,few shoulders,yet beaten lots of time to the ball.

Poor clearances,and beaten for a few points againnst an average offaly forward line ,and Bergin who is good at best,hardly All star material though.

Keane,had a great game.Dominant under the high ball,tough and strong,lots of hurling,but beaten and taken for a few points as hes pace was exposed at t4mes.

Egan-great game,two great points.Sweeper suited him,not tested one v one.Was playing as a 3,but never tested as offaly played two men inside .At times we were exposed under the high ball in that unit.Keane to start here v wexford.

O shea-made a few mistakes,but overall much better than ellis was or can ever be,in that he moves faster,has hurling intellgience,and great hands and has an aggression and energy to hes play .

Must get games here .

Mcloughlin-good,against a piss poor offaly duo,trademarks points in a game of hurling.Has done that time and again against tipp in the league,and dublin in the champimship in games of hurling.Today wasnt a battle.
    In a battle against kk,or clare etc,will be blown out the gate.Covered at times excellently when he dropped in at half back .Should start there.

Harnedy -at least 3 great points.Getting fitter,superb in the air,and direct running.In all hes league and championship games for cork starting has got 2 or more points.

Kearney-great game,when he went to 9.A starter.Has it all,great points.

Walsh-good game,much better than the laois game.Had two men on him but still ran more in to the space,some great catches in the air,and got some nice points and only for a superb save by the keeper,would have had a super goal.Still a work in progress,he  is like i said many times the real deal.He just needs games .He will get there.

Moylan -had a good game,lovely touches,created a lot and worked hard.Unfairly taken of for Bud hartnett,who was poor when he came on.Bud hartnett isnt even close to this level.

Horgan,superb goal from the free ,and got great points,worked hard,but same old story ,he does not get enough ball to score and fulfill hes special talent .

Lehane-awful for a player of hes talent.I dont blame him ,as he is NOT A FULL FORWARD OR A ROAMING ONE.

He is a 10.

Lawton and joyce ,in the time they were on showed nice cameos.

Overall a very dissapointing game,and huge concerns going forward.Nash heard intervieved on the radio on the way home,he sounded extremely frustrated and said no excuses,and it was a terrible second half.

Fair to play him for hes honesty.That is why he will be captain of cork some day.

I said we didnt get our act together a 5-10 point win.
    I was right,a 6 point win.But a lethartigc performance ,no excuse ,when clare annihalted a tipp team today.Tipp shouldnt worry ,with a 2nd dismal game in a row,there Peformance anayalst Mcgeeney will solve there problems.

I said tipp would go nowhere this year and i stand by that.A shame,as they have the hurlers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement