Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

There are no flights from Cork to Northern Ireland. In fairness you'd hardly expect them to charter a special flight for a league game regardless of this "white elephant" you are on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

I think it was tongue in cheek "Nonoperational". His point was they'd be tired from the bus journey. His whole post, and thats what u took from it.. sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Ah dont make me laugh.with respect.This is Cork ffs ,wealthiest County board outside Dublin.
    We spent an overnight trip up in antrim,still a long journey up there.

or a 14 round trip???is that what you expect.YOU do know where Antrim is i take it.

This is cork gaa ,67 m to spend on a stadium and a huge profit from last years boss concerts.

Are you oblivous to the fact ???that Donegal ,flew down to Cork last year for our league game in Cork V Donegal last year.

No disssrespect to them ,but Cork arent Donegal.We should be able to do it,they can.We have the monewmw.They had the willg

.And yes i would expect a charter to be organised.What do you expect??? Leave at 6am in the morning,have breakfast on the bus .Or a train to dublin,then coach the rest of the way.I love your proffesional aproach.Roy keane be proud you kiddo.You do know these lads have work Monday,most of them .

I would expect cork to charter a flight yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

Ah dont make me laugh.with respect.This is Cork ffs ,wealthiest County board outside Dublin.

or a 14 round trip???is that what you expect.YOU do know where Antrim is i take it.

This is cork gaa ,67 m to spend on a stadium and a huge profit from last years boss concerts.

Are you oblivous to the fact ???that Donegal ,flew down to Cork last year for our league game in Cork V Donegal last year.

No disssrespect to them ,but Cork arent Donegal.We should be able to do it,they can.We have the monewmw.They had the willg

.And yes i would expect a charter to be organised.What do you expect??? Leave at 6am in the morning,have breakfast on the bus .Or a train to dublin,then coach the rest of the way.I love your proffesional aproach.Roy keane be proud you kiddo.You do know these lads have work Monday,most of them .

I agree. I don't see why Cork wouldn't charter a flight. Times have moved on, standards are higher nowadays. The players and management dedicate so much time to to Cork GAA and they're completely professional in their preparation. Why not charter a flight?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭corkrobinhood

I'd agree on all of your ratings bar the Butcher,I thought when others fell away in the closing stages of the 2nd half he was the one willing to try and fight for dirty ball and pick out a man with a pass.

Hurling game was like a challenge match,awful flat stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Indie.

Personally don't see the need to charter a flight, for the sake of a four and a half hour drive. Would imagine they would head up on Sat night. Will prob stop on the way up to stretch the legs. Flying up would prob take the bones of two hours between waiting, flying and transferring from the airport.

Indie. wrote: »
    Personally don't see the need to charter a flight, for the sake of a four and a half hour drive. Would imagine they would head up on Sat night. Will prob stop on the way up to stretch the legs. Flying up would prob take the bones of two hours between waiting, flying and transferring from the airport.
    What's the issue with chartering a flight. Do people think the players aren't worth it? Do they think it's too expensive? I don't get it. If the players want it, and the management wanted it, then so be it. Isn't this why we had 2 strikes in Cork, cos the players weren't getting the required standards.

A bit of advice for You Non opertational

Before you post a view and try and make a fool with respect of another post do a bit a research,as otherwise your own post is exposed.

http://donegalnews.com/2013/03/mcgee-flying-high-with-donegal/

Be a good man,have a read of that,thanks..A huge game against cork they flew down as if you read the article(i re
    Commend strongly you do)you will see ,they made the bus journey to killarney ,but were mentally fatgiued for a previous game.

You do know that is mental fatigue is worse than physical,as your mind is yawnin,body goes in to a meltdown mode,slows down,you get stomach cramps etc.

I know some players get a bad dose of diarrohea,(you may know that as a dose of the runs or dose of the sh**ts which ever you prefer to call it)from travel sickness.Quite common.Also known as motion sickness.I have had it.Not nice.No quick remedy.

So hop of the bus,then play a game,and wait beat antrim by 20 points.Have you been to Antrim???its so windy at times the gianst causeaway is battered and bruised repeateldly.Its likely to be that at the game ,so throw in at ,top of a daunting journey,and a lacklustre game,could be long day .

And before you say its a meangingless game,you do know we have to win by at least 20 points and we need to get out of div i b.

Unlikey to get that we must at least show Intent and will to do that,and in order to do that ,must prepare or we dont prepare to fail ,hence Flying is our best option.

I am likely to travel to it if i can,with the footballers qualfied and Cork wont have much support there so they will need it ,and i am not looking forward to it,and i dont have to play a match as well.

So you travel to Dublin,spent over night ,(2 hr trip to dub)and then stay overnight.This isnt croke park ffs.You still gt to go two if nt 3 that day to the match .

And then you got to do do that back.
    Players loose 2 days ,really ,and time with fanily etc and its just league .Have they not made enough sacfries ,that they dont have to do it in March.Its not like cork cant fund it .
    A 2 hour flight is a lot different than a 7 hr trip up there in fairness by road..

People need to wake up with respect.This is 2014,not 2002,derry league hurling game.Have the strikes meant anything??or has it been all for nothing .

Awful to hear ciaran kilkenny cruciate.I wish the lad the best in he recovery.

Another major injury cork u21team wed,and one huge plazer almost likely out.Two huge losses to the team if confirmed and its a huge ask to win without them

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭sean mac

ttm, I have to disagree with you about loughrey - he was out on his feet with 20 minutes to go and contributed nothing. I have often thought his reading of the game is poor and today showed it again. For a wing back to be caught time after time ahead of the breaking ball on his own kick outs is criminal. He is way to head down when he has the ball also in comparison to Clancy or shields for example. Cannot understand how he is so fancied over others. Mcloughlin was handed a hospital pass by management ala dorman in the Dublin game - a real worry, they have got defensive match ups wrong a few times already now.
    The dual issue really hurt today - we had no defender on the bench to bring on in a national league game due to cadogan & cahalane with the hhurlers ffs - crazy stupid stuff.
    In saying that the first 30 minutes were brilliant from cork and they were unplayable, feel Kerrigan is flying it in the central role and colm oneill and hurley will be almost unplayable IF they get ball -midfield still a big big problem

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

A bit of advice for You Non opertational

Before you post a view and try and make a fool with respect of another post do a bit a research,as otherwise your own post is exposed.

http://donegalnews.com/2013/03/mcgee-flying-high-with-donegal/

Be a good man,have a read of that,thanks..A huge game against cork they flew down as if you read the article(i re
    Commend strongly you do)you will see ,they made the bus journey to killarney ,but were mentally fatgiued for a previous game.

You do know that is mental fatigue is worse than physical,as your mind is yawnin,body goes in to a meltdown mode,slows down,you get stomach cramps etc.

I know some players get a bad dose of diarrohea,(you may know that as a dose of the runs or dose of the sh**ts which ever you prefer to call it)from travel sickness.Quite common.Also known as motion sickness.I have had it.Not nice.No quick remedy.

So hop of the bus,then play a game,and wait beat antrim by 20 points.Have you been to Antrim???its so windy at times the gianst causeaway is battered and bruised repeateldly.Its likely to be that at the game ,so throw in at ,top of a daunting journey,and a lacklustre game,could be long day .

And before you say its a meangingless game,you do know we have to win by at least 20 points and we need to get out of div i b.

Unlikey to get that we must at least show Intent and will to do that,and in order to do that ,must prepare or we dont prepare to fail ,hence Flying is our best option.

I am likely to travel to it if i can,with the footballers qualfied and Cork wont have much support there so they will need it ,and i am not looking forward to it,and i dont have to play a match as well.

So you travel to Dublin,spent over night ,(2 hr trip to dub)and then stay overnight.This isnt croke park ffs.You still gt to go two if nt 3 that day to the match .

And then you got to do do that back.
    Players loose 2 days ,really ,and time with fanily etc and its just league .Have they not made enough sacfries ,that they dont have to do it in March.Its not like cork cant fund it .
    A 2 hour flight is a lot different than a 7 hr trip up there in fairness by road..

People need to wake up with respect.This is 2014,not 2002,derry league hurling game.Have the strikes meant anything??or has it been all for nothing .

Awful to hear ciaran kilkenny cruciate.I wish the lad the best in he recovery.

Another major injury cork u21team wed,and one huge plazer almost likely out.Two huge losses to the team if confirmed and its a huge ask to win without them

It's pointless for me to even begin to give my opinion in reply to that patronising jumbled rant. You have your opinion on the Cork hurling set up, fine, but your posts are sucking the life out of the place. It's ok for people to have differing opinions you know. It's not a personal attack on you.

I'm sure you're a true and true Cork fan so I'll leave it at that, but I can't read this anymore. Good luck.

• Advertisement

It's pointless for me to even begin to give my opinion in reply to that patronising jumbled rant. You have your opinion on the Cork hurling set up, fine, but your posts are sucking the life out of the place. It's ok for people to have differing opinions you know. It's not a personal attack on you.

I'm sure you're a true and true Cork fan so I'll leave it at that, but I can't read this anymore. Good luck.
    Nonoperational, Can you say why you don't think that Cork should get a chartered flight to Antrim? What's your reason for saying that they shouldn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

Kery team named

The Kerry Under 21 Team to play Cork in the Cadburys Munster Under 21 Quarter Final at Tralee’s Austin Stack Park on Wednesday has been named. The team includes four of the side beaten by Cork at the same stage last year - Shane Murphy, Padraig Ó Sé, Tadhg Morley and Shaun Keane - while Kieran Murphy was introduced as a sub during that game. Both Padraig Ó Conchúir and Greg Horan played with Kerry Minors last year. There are three sets of brothers involved – the Keanes from Killarney Legion, the Crowleys from Templenoe and the Murphys from Kilcummin.
    Nathan Breen of Beaufort, the only representative on the panel from County Champions Mid Kerry, captains the side.
    The team is as follows:
    1. Shane Murphy Kilcummin
    2. Nathan Breen (Capt) Beaufort
    3. Gavin Crowley Templenoe
    4. Jack McGuire Listowel Emmets
    5. Padraigh Ó Conchúir Dingle
    6. Padraigh Ó Sé An Ghaeltacht
    7. Tadhg Morley Templenoe
    8. Kieran Murphy Kilcummin
    9. Shaun Keane Killarney Legion
    10. Greg Horan Austin Stacks
    11. Gary O’Leary Kilcummin
    12. Adrian Spillane Templenoe
    13. Thomas Hickey Desmonds
    14. James Crean Annascaul
    15. Ciarán Keating Skellig Rangers
    Subs:
    16. Gavin Curran Dingle
    17. Conor Jordan Austin Stacks
    18. Jeff O’Donoghue Glenflesk
    19. Niall Sheehy John Mitchels
    20. Conor Keane Killarney Legion
    21. Denis Daly St Marys
    22. Jack Savage Kerins O’Rahillys
    23. Cillian Fitzgerald Churchill
    24. Sean T. Dillon St Senans
    Additional Panel Members
    25. Cathal Ó Lúing An Ghaeltacht
    26. Michael O’Connor Derrynane
    27. Jack Barry Na Gaeil
    28. Eanna Ó Conchúir An Ghaeltacht
    29. David Foran St Senans
    30. Gavin O’Shea Dr Crokes
    31. Brian Crowley Templenoe

Sean i agree with what you say,you speak a lot of truths there -

Loughrey is head down-i cant argue ,i said it many times.
    Against dublin he was good.He was out of breath at the end,he is the fittest man in cork panel,and top man in ulster bleep tests etc

Im shocked he was unfit today,i agree with you.I wonder was he sick ??as fitness should be nt a problem .

He was good,as in he grew in to the game.But yes he was weak defending at times.

Yeah,management have made appalling misakes with dorman etc at times.I dont blame them with mcloughlin startingg. wall should been used though.

Im more frustrated with management picking sullivan,and not giving when he was fit deane games and now laoire.

We could of lost today and v kildare over the absence of cadogan ,we with so many out,had just one defender ,on the bench in the end.

He was poor in the hurling.Shouldnt be there.What was so frustrating was cahalane on the bench for the hurlers,should have been on the bench ,with the footballers,could have been ideal the last ten minutes.

Midfield is a huge worry.Me and you share similar concerns.

Who would you play at midfield???

What did you make of my other ratings?

I would give kelly a start with walsh the next day for a start at least. Hoping the u21s are still unavailable and realising how physically strong mayo are I would select as follows:

1. Hanrahan (has to get game time, ohallorhan number 1)
    2. shields
    3. cadogan
    4. galvin if fit
    5. tom Clancy Fermoy
    6. Thomas Clancy clon if fit
    7. loughrey
    8. walsh
    9, Kelly
    10. Collins
    11. Kerrigan
    12. orourke
    13. barry o driscoll
    14. hurley
    15. donal og hodnett

I would look at Kelly for midfield, defence I have selected if fit is strong, with options of Cronin, cahalane odriscoll to come in. Olaoire to sub for midfield with gould.
    Would give goudlign a rest, hurley on the frees and get hodnett moving. Thought barry o driscoll kicked a savage score from the cork con side when he came on and worked hard. For me the half forward line is going well, orourker was flying until he took a black card for the team.
    Keep colm to come in for a while yet. Your right about hayes, all the questions that have always been asked were illustrated today, when he was marked properly he was ineffective.
    I think all our problems are totally fixable, we are playing superb football and have a very strong forward line. Cuthbert speaks well and the spirit in the camp seems very high. All going well except for deans untimely injury hopefully we keep going well. The dual issue is beginning to become an issue imo.

A good kerry team-beatable yes but if our two lads are out we are down two key players.That half back line of o se and morley is potent.

O se played in a beaten tralee it team 6 weeks ago in a challenge i was at in u21 and he was superb against sugrue,and then cadogan
    Congrats to the ladies who drew with dublin in dublin .

103 fm and kerry radio doing the game live wed.I have a preview done but wont post it til late wednesday night .

I was at training thursday night .It was interesting.

Sean ,great team.I would try laoire ahead of kelly a marginal call.

My self and you are on similar wavelengths.
    I have adovacted,a one man band at times hayes isnt up to it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,883 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Oh Christ...there's 2 of ye....:pac:

Ladies got a very good result. u21 game will be very interesting. Footballers will have a good game I think the next day while the hurlers will also. The drier weather will suit the faster game plan for the footballers also I think.

Great to see games coming thick and fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

13 points between us and ye in the hurling now..... we've got to go away to Offaly and Laois, can't see us getting big wins in either.

Ye've got Wexford... hard to know how ye'll go against them. Might depend on Wexford's attitude. Do they really go for it, try and take a scalp, or will they be disheartened by the end of their promotion chances?

So it might come down to what kind of score ye can put on Antrim.... I'd say it'll be very tight. If it comes down to it, I'd say ye'll be able to put a few goals past them, they won't have much to play for.

Kelly certainly has the engine and the vision to play at midfield. It would be a very interesting choice. It would be nice to see it tested in the league.

I think all of the criticisms made of Cork's tactical set up are spot on. But isn't this the best time of the year to have these problems. I think Cuthbert will get things right for championship. It's a balancing act between results and experimentation, and today was no different. It's a 1 point win but Cuthbert will also have plenty to think about in terms of his own performance on the line, and also the performance of some of the players. All the problems are fixable as right said.

On the dual issue, I think things are already beginning to come to a head, and I'm beginning to wonder if the dual players will opt for football only after the league campaigns. Cork are not going well in the hurling at the moment. On the other hand, Cork's prospects in the football are looking very good. Being honest. I think the footballers have a better chance of winning Sam than the hurlers do of winning Liam at the moment. I think if anything the hurlers have regressed a bit. It's early days, alot can change between now and championship, but there's a flatness about the hurlers. The footballers are gaining momentum and confidence in comparison. There's a very interesting development that may influence proceedings, and I'm sure will influence the odds that Dublin will be to retain Sam. I would very rarely believe that an injury to one player can have a dramatic impact. But last year, Dublin weathered the loss of Alan Brogan because Kilkenny had a great year, went missing the odd time but on the whole was very good. Alan Brogan looks a pale shadow of his former self. He's looked a bit lost in the league this year, just a bit out of sorts. The centre-forward position is now a big headache for Gavin. And I think Dublin will really feel the loss of Kilkenny. Alot of counties will view Dublin as being a little weaker and a little more vulnerable now.

The dual stars might be wondering to themselves, do I have a better chance of winning an All-Ireland with the footballers or the hurlers?

The problem archer for the hurlers is they are palying in a crap league. Offaly had fat lads playing today fffs, while antrim & laois are as bad as them. Wexford will be a test to a degree but we will win. Therefore for jbm et al it will be hard to build momentum for summer unless they get to a league final perhaps. On the flip side our opponents Waterford are flying it against top class opposition. Today padraic Mahoney played against liam rushe all star, in the opening game he played on padraic maher former all star, next week he will play against brian Hogan former all star while our forwards play against players well off that level. It will be a test for championship to have the team ready but don't write them off. Tbh don't see either team winning an all Ireland for different reasons, the hurlers chance was last year imo.
    As for the dualism it was typtified with the ridiculous situation today that cork had no defender to bring on when fellas were under pressure while all the while Damien cahalane is sitting on the bench for the hurlers with NO chance of coming on, crazy stuff, just imagine jim gavin or eamon Fitzmaurice putting up with that crap.
    I think however this experiment will last longer then people think

• Advertisement

sean mac wrote: »
    The problem archer for the hurlers is they are palying in a crap league. Offaly had fat lads playing today fffs, while antrim & laois are as bad as them. Wexford will be a test to a degree but we will win. Therefore for jbm et al it will be hard to build momentum for summer unless they get to a league final perhaps. On the flip side our opponents Waterford are flying it against top class opposition. Today padraic Mahoney played against liam rushe all star, in the opening game he played on padraic maher former all star, next week he will play against brian Hogan former all star while our forwards play against players well off that level. It will be a test for championship to have the team ready but don't write them off. Tbh don't see either team winning an all Ireland for different reasons, the hurlers chance was last year imo.
    As for the dualism it was typtified with the ridiculous situation today that cork had no defender to bring on when fellas were under pressure while all the while Damien cahalane is sitting on the bench for the hurlers with NO chance of coming on, crazy stuff, just imagine jim gavin or eamon Fitzmaurice putting up with that crap.
    Maybe it is hard to motivate players and so on for Division 1B. All the more reason I think the league structure should have changed for this year. I know Cork had a poor league campaign last year and came to life in championship. I'm just a little afraid that something might be wrong with the morale in the Cork camp this year. There must be guys on the hurling panel thinking why is Aidan Walsh, Cadogan, and Cahalane here and getting game time when they don't do the same training as the rest of us. It must be a bone of contention with some players even if they don't admit it. Something just feels wrong with their camp this year.

I genuinely think the footballers have a good chance of winning Sam this year. If Cork win Munster which looks very possible, then it's a quarter final against one of the qualifiers, and then a semi-final against Mayo, a team that might be suffering the effects of losing 2 finals in a row, and then a final with Dublin. Ok, that's a best case scenario, and it's only one possibility of how the year will unfold, but if Cork got a good run, and a good draw at quarter-final stage then I could see them doing it. I've backed Cork e/w 1/2 odds to reach a final. So, I think reaching a final is a very realistic prospect

sean mac wrote: »

We sing of the same hymn sheet.
    Said that since october,constantly.

Id say its fair to say you would agree keane should get a game at 3 and lorchan at 5?

You have a good perecption sean in fairness.

Anybody a venue for Midelton cbsv Kilkenny cbs All ireland Junior Hurling final march 29th please?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

If you are unable to debate a point then just don't bother saying anything.How can Thinkstoomuch be sucking the life out of the place exactly?This Cork GAA thread is not that busy compared to other Cork GAA sites.If you ask me the content on this thread would be greatly reduced if it wasn't for Thinkstoomuch's contributions and his match reports etc.So if anything he is adding to the vitality and activity of this thread.Oh and demanding that the team be flown up to Offaly is not that big a request with all the money in the county boards coffers.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

If you are unable to debate a point then just don't bother saying anything.How can Thinkstoomuch be sucking the life out of the place exactly?This Cork GAA thread is not that busy compared to other Cork GAA sites.If you ask me the content on this thread would be greatly reduced if it wasn't for Thinkstoomuch's contributions and his match reports etc.So if anything he is adding to the vitality and activity of this thread.Oh and demanding that the team be flown up to Offaly is not that big a request with all the money in the county boards coffers.
    I think you meant to say Antrim. You're dead right. I completely agree with everything you posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Was Cathal Martin the only lad from Kiltha Og (Castlemartyr) involved for the Midleton Dean Ryan team thinkstoomuch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Horse84

I'll just post on the hurling there for now and I'll try and keep it brief cause there wasn't a lot to be said for the performance to be frank. Just another lacklustre going through the motions type of showing from us. I struggled to once again take anything positive from it except we won but that was about it.

Anything I say here about players or whatever must be tempered by the fact that Offaly were brutal. They are yet more proof why we desperately need to get out of 1b.

Just going through some of the performances, once again Shane o neill was excellent and done all that was expected. It drives me demented to see him left alone inside at full back there. The man is not a full back and management seem intent on not learning that lesson, I don't get it.

On cadogan I actually think he did ok. Thought he did better than maccie yday. His hurling was sharper than I thought it would and he didn't take too much out of it like he's been known to. Fed some nice balls into Horgan in particular in the first half. He got caught out a few times and the ref rode him once or twice with decisions going against him but he's an option alright but that's it and he's a lot more vital to the footballers as was evident yday.

On eoin Keane I thought he did alright but wasn't as dominant as I expected, I just don't think he has the mobility for 6 and on hard championship ground I'd just have visions of someone like tony Kelly getting by him and just being left for dead which is a pity cause he has all the hurling. Hopefully to Christ they'll give him a run at full back. For me he doesn't offer more than Joyce at 6 at the moment anyway.

Rob o Shea at midifeld did well I thought got on an amount of ball and distributed well. U could see that he was trying to get on ball that the likes of Walsh were breaking which was good to see and something that Ellis couldn't possibly manage. His shooting wasn't great yday but a good day for rob I think.

Aidan Walsh had a decent game with 2 well taken points and could've had a goal only for a good save. I just don't know how the dual thing will work out and people are right in saying that yday was a farce with cahalane sitting on the bench with the footballers struggling for defenders.

Seamie Harnedy was prob our standout performer yday. He's regaining fitness and he just adds that leadership which is lacking on the field at times. Super player and I shudder to think what we do without if he's missing. Class act.
    Moylan I think didn't do much yday to catch my eye anyway, there's more in him but to be replaced by bud? Sorry no, he won't make a championship team I don't see what bringing him on yday was about at all.

On lehane I dunno what in the name of god is the idea of playing him at 14 is, I assume it's to accommodate Walsh but it's really unfair on him and it's surely affecting his confidence now. Not good.

Yea so just an average performance, where we needed to get scores and didn't. Teams have well and truly copped onto using a sweeper and we can't counter it. We seem unable to create goal chances at the moment or very very few which is a worry but something that can be worked on. Fellas did enough yday but just enough nothing more.
    Was it an improvement? It probably was I think, just, but still really flat and only for Egan getting one or 2 important points at the end it could've gone against us which tells it's own story.

Horse84 wrote: »
    I'll just post on the hurling there for now and I'll try and keep it brief cause there wasn't a lot to be said for the performance to be frank. Just another lacklustre going through the motions type of showing from us. I struggled to once again take anything positive from it except we won but that was about it.

Anything I say here about players or whatever must be tempered by the fact that Offaly were brutal. They are yet more proof why we desperately need to get out of 1b.

Just going through some of the performances, once again Shane o neill was excellent and done all that was expected. It drives me demented to see him left alone inside at full back there. The man is not a full back and management seem intent on not learning that lesson, I don't get it.

On cadogan I actually think he did ok. Thought he did better than maccie yday. His hurling was sharper than I thought it would and he didn't take too much out of it like he's been known to. Fed some nice balls into Horgan in particular in the first half. He got caught out a few times and the ref rode him once or twice with decisions going against him but he's an option alright but that's it and he's a lot more vital to the footballers as was evident yday.

On eoin Keane I thought he did alright but wasn't as dominant as I expected, I just don't think he has the mobility for 6 and on hard championship ground I'd just have visions of someone like tony Kelly getting by him and just being left for dead which is a pity cause he has all the hurling. Hopefully to Christ they'll give him a run at full back. For me he doesn't offer more than Joyce at 6 at the moment anyway.

Rob o Shea at midifeld did well I thought got on an amount of ball and distributed well. U could see that he was trying to get on ball that the likes of Walsh were breaking which was good to see and something that Ellis couldn't possibly manage. His shooting wasn't great yday but a good day for rob I think.

Aidan Walsh had a decent game with 2 well taken points and could've had a goal only for a good save. I just don't know how the dual thing will work out and people are right in saying that yday was a farce with cahalane sitting on the bench with the footballers struggling for defenders.

Seamie Harnedy was prob our standout performer yday. He's regaining fitness and he just adds that leadership which is lacking on the field at times. Super player and I shudder to think what we do without if he's missing. Class act.
    Moylan I think didn't do much yday to catch my eye anyway, there's more in him but to be replaced by bud? Sorry no, he won't make a championship team I don't see what bringing him on yday was about at all.

On lehane I dunno what in the name of god is the idea of playing him at 14 is, I assume it's to accommodate Walsh but it's really unfair on him and it's surely affecting his confidence now. Not good.

Yea so just an average performance, where we needed to get scores and didn't. Teams have well and truly copped onto using a sweeper and we can't counter it. We seem unable to create goal chances at the moment or very very few which is a worry but something that can be worked on. Fellas did enough yday but just enough nothing more.
    Was it an improvement? It probably was I think, just, but still really flat and only for Egan getting one or 2 important points at the end it could've gone against us which tells it's own story.
    agree with all that pretty much

Theres the team sheet and programme orizo
    Aplogies should have posted clubs with it the last day

Martin was awesome
    A good for castleytaymr
    Lawton great point yesterday

• Advertisement

Robin hood ,i couldnt agree more,Andrew O Sullivan has a superb,truly superb worth ethic,a trojan work horse and is brave.

My only criticisim,mainly my worry is hes distrubition of the ball is poor,and corks attack is slowed when he gets the ball.Now yes he kicks some good ball.
    But i judge a guy in a 70 minute game.Look at the amount and conversion rate of hes distrubtion and its not great.

If this was the old system,Corks old play,and the blanket system still to the fore in the game and the old style game of cork ,then i would actually see a place for him at 10 or 12 as auxilarry forward,/defender.And when the name of the game was keep ball he would be superb.

The problem is and thank god we have it,is a fast fluent game.If walsh wasnt at 8,then maybee you could say he had to start.
    But with walsh he doesnt compliment him,he is a poorer version of walsh style in that hes kickpassing is below walsh level.And Aidan a superb player has to work on hes kicking ,but ,with Sullivan with him we dont have too excellent distrubitors of the ball.

I feel we have a powerhouse in Walsh,we must find a footballer to compliment him .As in midfield to win ball you can crowd that aera at times.Sullivan is not like Walsh in ball winning ability,and thats fair enough,but he is meant to be strong in that regard,yet Gould i felt outplayed him in that 1st twenty.
    O sullivan was out on hes feet yestesday,effort i have always always commeneded it .But we cant pick a guy for that alone.
    If we have no choice ,gould or o sullivan.I would go with o sullivan ,as Gould is inconistent.But thats only if we have no other options.I think we have .

Laoire im a fan of.Paul flynn.

Sean mentioned Paddy kelly,i wouldnt have thought so at 1st,but the more i think of that ,it does make sense.A wonderful distrubuitor of a ball.

My fear is that he hasnt lost pace being out so long.Definetly worth a go though.
    We dont have many other options.Sean dinneen would be ideal but like i said last week isnt an option.

Daniel O Donovan bishptown,club team of the year ,im not sure is what we need.
    One option if all else fails is Hodnett.Is he the answer??

Worth a look ,has played there for Skib at underage.Good in the air,and is able to mnve,and superb in 11 and 14 for Cork,so a central role may suit.

Im not saying he is the answer .But worth a school of thought.Excellent distrubitor of the ball .

Re the hurling

http://www.eveningecho.ie/2014/03/10/keane-one-rebels-bright-sparks/

Good points made .

My team for Antrim

nash
    Mcdonnell (rest o neill)
    Keane
    Spillane
    Lorchan
    Joyce
    Egan
    KeaRney
    O shea
    O sullivan
    Harnedy
    Lawton a fine hurler(walsh is out ,and lawton should get a game.If he isnt doing it,coughlan ist sub)
    Lehane
    Cronin
    Horgan

Wouldnt line out in a conventioal 15 as above.
    Keane commands the square,and has good delieverys,as shown for cit so can play a free man role if required.
    In fact him and egan could interchange at ease in ,with a huge wind ,keane could go to wing back ,as hes physical presence and bulk ,and aeraia domination would be useful with a wind as you have a huge fortress in him and lorchan an joyce at half back , with egan drops to the free man in the full back line .

Against the wind keane goes and stays at 3.

O sullivan would be dropping out of half forward and thus creating space inside,as we dont want cork to be bunched.He would drop back to midfield and provide an excellent foil for o shea,brings super ground foraging abilty ,to there ,but also a great man to run and break tackles and create the offload.He tackles and defends well ,uses hes pace and body well.

To have him there with o shea,allows kearney more time to drive forward with hes pace ,and also kearney is great man to pick up loose breaking ball between half back and midfield ,as he has played there at half back for sarsfields and is an asute,asticlate reader of the game.

With him an o shea in that middle third ,you have long distance scoring also but the key is you have pace and mobilty and hurling complimented by aggression and doggness.

O sullivan isnt there to score ,but to do a specfic job and suited to the sweeper system.

Lehane doesnt play at 13 but 10,and inside you have a lethal full forward line of cronin and horgan.

We can adapt and rotate as the needs arise but we have a team that can play a A and b type of game.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement