Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

Call me crazy now, but i just had a wild thought... What about Micky Sull at full forward? Well able to break aerial ball, win dirty ball on the ground, disrupt defenders trying to clear (a la Fraggy Murphy in his prime, except faster) and an absolute work horse. Would he be worth a look. Maybe even if Cronin isnt doing the business inside?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

I would have huge concerns regard Wednesdays match in that Keith O brien is referring.

I rarely mention referees before games ,but this is the same Ref in 2012 in Tralee that gave numerous baffling decisons against Cork and sent John Cronin off ,but then realising ,he made a mistake ,as the cork players protested and told the linesman.

Even kerry men were shocked with some of hes poor decisions.As if didnt have enough worries going down injury wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Connorzee wrote: »
    Call me crazy now, but i just had a wild thought... What about Micky Sull at full forward? Well able to break aerial ball, win dirty ball on the ground, disrupt defenders trying to clear (a la Fraggy Murphy in his prime, except faster) and an absolute work horse. Would he be worth a look. Maybe even if Cronin isnt doing the business inside?

Lacks the class to play that near to the goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭lukin

Connorzee wrote: »

Heh, that wouldn't be hard. He was as slow as a funeral :)

I think like Orizo said Michael sul wouldnt have the hurling or finese for a 14.A 14 at the end of the day must have the abiltity to score.
    Pardon the punt,but i do believe in old schools values in some key aeras ,like a full back must defend an any grade,a full forward must score.

He would be made look poor.Have the lad at midfield or the wing,and what a player he could be.

Fraggie was slow yes ,but what a player,hughely underated
    ,wouldnt won in 2004 or 2005 ,without hes unselfish work ethtic,bravery and balls of steel.He had lots of hurling and a fine goal poacher.A top coach in the making with Lit .

• Advertisement

CORK SENIOR FOOTBALL TEAM TO PLAY MAYO 11/03/2014
    The Cork Senior Football team to play Mayo on Sunday at 2.30pm in McHale Park, Castlebar, will line out as follows:
    Ken O'Halloran (Bishopstown)
    Michael Shields (St. Finbarr's)
    Eoin Cadogan (Douglas)
    Kevin Crowley (Millstreet)
    Conor Dorman (Bishopstown)
    Tom Clancy (Clonakilty)
    Alan Cronin (Nemo Rangers)
    Andrew O'Sullivan (Castletownbere)
    Aidan Walsh (Kanturk)
    Colm O'Driscoll (Tadhg MacCárthaigh)
    Paul Kerrigan (Nemo Rangers)
    Tomás Clancy (Fermoy)
    Colm O'Neill (Ballyclough)
    Brian Hurley (Castlehaven)
    Donncha O'Connor (Ballydesmond)
    David Hanrahan (Douglas)
    John McLoughlin (Kanturk)
    James Loughrey (Mallow)
    Kevin O'Driscoll (Tadhg MacCárthaigh)
    Fintan Goold (Macroom)
    Micheál O Laoire (Naomh Abán)
    Barry O'Driscoll (Nemo Rangers)
    Mark Collins (Castlehaven)
    John O'Rourke (Carbery Rangers)
    John Hayes (Carbery Rangers)
    Daniel Goulding (Eire Óg)
    Brian Cuthbert has made eight changes for Sunday's game. U21s Conor Dorman and Kevin Crowley are in, while Tom Clancy returns from injury. Eoin Cadogan and Aidan Walsh return, having been on hurling duty last weekend, while there's a start for Colm O'Driscoll. Donncha O'Connor returns to the full forward line, and following two substitute appearances, Colm O'Neill gets his first start of the year.

Patrick Kelly and Damien Cahalane will play club games this weekend. Jamie O'Sullivan, Noel Galvin and Donal Og Hodnett continue their recovery from injury. Ruairi Deane, who has suffered a torn cruciate, met his surgeon this week and began a rehab programme. He will meet him again in four weeks to check progress and determine the

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Smith614

Tomas Clancy in half forward line, ah jez can't see that working

Not a bad team ,but Again our biggest era of Concern ,he totally ignores midfield in trying some one new in a two man zone.He at best is trying to cover a weak spot in the team)by covering it with bodies instead of finding a natural remedy.

Even the fans of butcher can surley see my point.Laoire isnt even getting games.8 GAMES in ,he startts 7,surely to god even if management are going to give others a break,like hurley,loughrey,collins,the butcher gets a break and laoire given a chance .

An ideal game to expierment a bit .We expierment in aeras we dont
    Need to ,clancy at 12 is as bad as lynch in 2006 and noel o leary playing half forward in 2006 mcgrah cup v limerick if he plays that role.

A savage player should be at 6,and if he wants to expierment try Dorman at 9 or even clancy at 9.

Clancy there deprives Barry O driscoll of game time ,as Donnacha could play 11,kerrigan at 12 and Bod inside.

The crucial mistake any manager can mistake is like counihan think he is smarter than he actually he is and trys to reinvent players in aeras they cant play as the manager thinks i can see things others cant.What Counihan done was played walsh at 11 and miskella at 4 in 2009 and then nicholas at 14 which backfired at times.

Cuthbherts has 7 wins ,and yes a lot of credit due,but i hope he dont loose the run of himSelf and think he is a great manager just yet ,as it could backfire,and by that i mean stick to Logic when you want to try players out .What logic is there clancy at 12??if he plays at 12.Cork cant run before they walk.

Or Are we going old style blanket defence???
    That would be a wrong if we are.Yes play a bit deeper against Mayo but we have huge scoring as the 7 games show ,play to the strengths.Mayo have conceded goals ,8 in total in 4 games,2 each against kildare and tyrone,1 against kerry and 3 against westmeath.There is goals there for Cork ,but not the way they have set up now.

James horan said that after the game sunday Cork could get 3 or4-r 20,if hes team dont tighten up.

A two man half forward line inside with Colm not at full form yet wont get that scoring.Yes with 3 all star defenders likely to start against us,with 6 forwards it wouldnt be easy,but there is still huge scoring in us and there is a looseness in Mayo.We should have went for the juglar,but the selection is very conserative up front.

Or Are Cork going with 3 midfielders.Yeah we may have clancy as a 3rd midfielder ,but dont have o driscoll there at 10 then,otherwise you have only one scorer in kerrigan .And i dont see logic in that .Just my opinion.

And while clancy is worth a try in midfield you could argue dont have butcher or walsh in there also.Otherwise were robbing peter to pay paul.We now have one scoring forward in the half forward line all to help Midfield ,and mayo can really push up on cork as there is no need to defend in numbers as o driscoll and clancy aint scoring forwards .They will be honest as day in working back but no scoring threat.Kerry opened up mayo at ease when they played at pace -they didnt have enough forwards.Cork do .Walsh has to start ,so Give Andrew a rest .Hes going to start in May it seems. ,so whats the point in playing him 7/8 games.

Why not play laoire at 10 instead of o driscoll even.

The team lacks balance in that middle third.

Crowley deserves a game at 4 and he will be fine.But he can swtich with cronin if he has to do.The defence is fine .

The forwards 13,14,15 are fine but i fear the fast open fluent service will be slow,laboured and laterat at times as we dont have real creativy at half forward bar kerrigan.

Clancy is a super super player,but he isnt creative as a forward.

The problem ,and a huge worry is the failure to realise we have major problems at 9, and then we counter that by instead of playing laoire etc at 9,we go with a 3 man midfield ,thus creating a huge imbalance in the half forward line .

IF YOU had O rourke in clancys role for example it could work as he hes the creativity and vision to win ball but also do a half forward role.Clancy is a fine attacking wing back from deep ,he isnt an attacking half forward from midfield upwards and there is a difference.

We wont beat Mayo but O shea and gibbons will break even at midfield ,even against 3 man cork.

Mayo even with only a few fowards should have too much for cork as our half forward line is poor as a unit .And if we go blanket style,at home mayo still have enough to beat us.Id say Mayo by 5 or so.

The way to beat mayo was have forwards that could pose a threat and get fast ball in.We now crowd the middle third and that will suit Mayo who are a physical team .The way to beat them was play at pace and yes if its wet and windy ,thats hard to do ,but you must have creativity.

I wanted a test and mayo to crowd out space.I was hoping we would try and be the new cork ,win with creativity ,and not try and win by physical confrontation .And if we play a two man full forward line its a huge ask and unfair to Colm who match fitness.totally understandable cant be near what is needed.

A strong team in most aeras but we will be competitve but wont win.

Not the end of the world we are beaten ,but we cant expiement then against Tyryone .We should have tried out options at midfield,at least start laoire,could sub the lad if needed.
    A

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭corkrobinhood

Judgying by the talk on Sunday there should be a huge Cork following in Tralee tomorrow night,looking forward to it now.

Judgying by the talk on Sunday there should be a huge Cork following in Tralee tomorrow night,looking forward to it now.

Should be a huge crowd alright.

I hate to say it but kerry will win.

I hope to god im so wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭corkrobinhood

I wouldnt know enough about the Kerry U21 setup to assess their strengths and weaknesses,I know last years defeat will be motivation enough for them,and I hate Tralee,very tight pitch,whether that will have any bearing on the result remains to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

The U-21s on TV?

Like i said last weel Murphy retires.One of the best man markers ever and one of Corks greatest ever players,Skill,temparment,pace,Guts,balls,bravery,unselfish,commitment,focus,inner Resovlve,he didnt just have these attrubtes,he had them in abundance.

Best of lad Brian,you owe Cork nothing.Podge and Kelly will sleep easier knowing they wont meet you again.

A huge loss but i dont belive its a huge set back in winning an allireland.Find a full back and were okay.

http://www.eveningecho.ie/2014/03/12/brian-murphy-calls-time-cork-career/

U21 isnt on tv,103 fm and kerry radio doing it live A

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Like i said last weel Murphy retires.One of the best man markers ever and one of Corks greatest ever players,Skill,temparment,pace,Guts,balls,bravery,unselfish,commitment,focus,inner Resovlve,he didnt just have these attrubtes,he had them in abundance.

Best of lad Brian,you owe Cork nothing.Podge and Kelly will sleep easier knowing they wont meet you again.

A huge loss but i dont belive its a huge set back in winning an allireland.Find a full back and were okay.

http://www.eveningecho.ie/2014/03/12/brian-murphy-calls-time-cork-career/

U21 isnt on tv,103 fm and kerry radio doing it live A

One of yer unsung heroes for years. Went about his business in a quiet fashion and was probably one of the first names on the team sheet. Had some battles with our John Mullane over the years none more so than in 2003. Will be very very hard to replace I think,was definitely one of the best man markers in the modern era. Enjoy the retirement 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Anyone going to tralee tonight would to warm up well. Its been frosty early in the evening the last few days. Dont let the sunshine during the day fool ye !

Looking forward to it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Horse84

Very sad to see Brian Murphy go. Still think he'd a lot left to offer. Nearly impossible to replace. A class act.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

Horse84 wrote: »
    Very sad to see Brian Murphy go. Still think he'd a lot left to offer. Nearly impossible to replace. A class act.

Couldn't agree more...

i supp6se its the right time now to throw up a preview tonights game?now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

i supp6se its the right time now to throw up a preview tonights game?now

Yep, you can include the current odds for the game aswell!:D

I tried to debate with you last week,you didnt want to know.Now the wind changes slightly you row in ,quite the big man,and common feature you have with my posts.
    I have no interest in wasting time debating with you,when you just pick and choose when it suits.
    Have the last word by all means.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

I tried to debate with you last week,you didnt want to know.Now the wind changes slightly you row in ,quite the big man,and common feature you have with my posts.
    I have no interest in wasting time debating with you,when you just pick and choose when it suits.

See that green faced thingy at the end of my post there..it denotes humour or lack of seriousness. Not things you'd be familiar with apparently...:rolleyes:

Cork v Kerry Munster u21 Football Championship 1st round.

Whether is a u14,ladies game,Minor,challenge or Mcgrath Cup ,the Rivarly , is intense,but there is a Healthy respect between both Counties,there is always a glamour ,and excitment when the Rebels take on the Kingdom.

The fact ,were neighbouring counties and in most house holds ,in Cork ,there is nearly always a connection to kerry via a blood relative,inlaw ,work connection you name it,theres always a great rivarly between both,eptiomised hughely in games of gaelic football ,between the two Great rivals.

This Wednesdays game won't be any different in fact it is the most anticpated clash at u21 in years.
    All the talk about the impending famine due at Senior in Kerry ,has brought a huge expectation ,and interest in kerry to this game ,and many regarded this as more important than the game against Tyryone  last Sunday .

Is that an exxageration ??i don't believe so in my personal opinon.If They lost to Tyrone after Westmeath and Kildare loosing,they still with Kildare to play and Westmeath ,and Cork at home,survival in the top flight ,very much in there own hands.Loose Wednesday ,and its over for another year ,and a year is an Eternity in kerry football,and with just two Munster titles win in 2002 2008 ,the last 13 years ,Kerry football is not just craving A Munster title at this Grade but in fact Mourning for one .
    I am not sticking the knife in to kerry,just calling a spade a spade like,I done last week in My Cork Minor Hurling Post,i said the harsh truths regards Corks Dark Past in Minor and U21 Hurling

Cork have prosperped in we won 9 Munster titles ,won two All irelands and contested two other finals ,loosing to Mayo in 2006,and Galway in 2013 in U21 football in those times.

Kerry are remnicesscent of Cork Hurling in that they neglected Underage football for the last decade and are paying for it now.They appointed,similar to Cork,Profile Managers,on what they might achieve rather than managers on merit with coaching astutness,that Could Actually achieve and sustain success.
    They credit due have learned the errors of the past ,and With Jack at Minor and Tomas o Se at ucc, the future is bright .

Darragh O Se is a good coach,and Fitzmaurice  and Cian O Neill are young ,modern day coaches.Kerry will rise again .But Cork can slow down there Resurrection and make there climb back to Everest a more Daunting one,by depriving them of much needed oxxgen on there journey by beating them at u21 ,and not allowing there young players get a winning mentality or momentum at u21,and that always makes the transistion to Senior intercounty more daunting and slower to acclimatise to it.
    For all the reasons mentioned above this game has huge consquences for Kerry  going forward.

It is a dissaster for Kerry if they loose and O se is likely to go also if they loose .So a lot riding both on and off the Field for Kerry.I would expect the Mother of All Post Mortems if they are beaten in to the u21 set up ,as Kerry have the talent within the County with a shadow of a doubt

In direct Contrast Cork don't have as much pressure and by no means is a loss a dissaster to the team,management or the County going forward,unless we get annihated of course.That doesn't mean we dont want to win.As Ruby Walsh and Tony Mccoy say,along with Roy Keane ,second and third is Nothing.

Cork Senior team have a Core of Guys that won and beat Kerry regulary at Minor and u21 ,in Clancy,Galvin,Cronin,Collins,Laoire.Walsh,Hodnett ,Brian and Barry O Driscoll,and Brian Hurley etc ,so a loss wouldnt be castaptrophic.,as Management in  Sean Hayes and Gene O Driscoll ,(minor selector 2010),are in year one ,are well regarded of in Cork Gaa that they won't be judged til after the end of there two year term next year.

We were blessed that going from in the words of the Great Noel O Leary ,the 2003 Manager Anthony Davis was one of the worst set ups he was involved under ,that we had hughely proffesional astute modern managers in Tony Leahy,Then the Wonderful John Cleary ,and that trend is followed on by the current management team.

Whatever befaiths us Wednesday night ,I do believe we will be in a strong position to win a Munster Title Next year ,as Kerry is a home game and Tippeary would be also should our paths cross ,if we are beaten Wednesday.I geuinely believe having watched them play and train a few times,Management left no stone unturned for this game ,and it was just a cruel turn of luck with two huge Injuries and The referee is not a help either .

We beat Kerry at minor in a replay in kerry last year but didnt meet in 2012 or 2011.
    We got destroyed by The Tipp team that won the All ireland yet that Kerry minor team in 2011 ran Tipp to a point and with a few involved in this game are no bad side at all and must be treated as a huge huge danger espiceally at home.

Kerry are definetly there for the taking in the last line of defence as Crowley isnt a great full back ,and Maguire who is a fine defender they have two lads that can be exposed.

Im not sure Cork with vaughan out have the fire power in the full forward line to exploit that.What we must rememember is Shane Murphy ,is a fine fine keeper and made two brillant saves ,last year against Mac Eoin.

Vaughan was the key man to the way Cork had set up to play,defend in numbers ,then Counter attact at pace ,and let a two man full forward line inside of Vaughan and Maceoin to score and create space for Sugrue and Harrrington running in to space.Maceoin can like vaughan win ball ,and hold it up well ,Cadogan isnt that type of player.

He is likely to go the centre forward ,and then Sugrue assume Vaughan role.Sugrue is a man that can get you a goal ,but wouldnt be as proflic as a fit vaughan would be .
    Cadogan for all hes pace and trickery and creativity isnt the same scoring threat either as yes he Could be ,but as last year showed against kerry can be inconsistent ,in scoring and had a few wides.

Mac Eoin has the beating of Crowley,and Mac Eoin ,isnt just a big man ,he has some left boot .He is a key man to Cork ,got four points last year,superb in 2012 also ,and in 2010 minor final ,against Tyrone ,and is on the Cork Extended senior squad .

Harrington ,i expect to drop deep for Cork and he will likely fill the void of kiely in the middle.

The half backs of kerry with ,o connor,o se and morley is a fine unit and while o se was open and loose last year,i doubt he will be the same again,and he is an o se,so he has talent.Im sure Tomas had a quiet word in hes ear ,that hes job is first and foremost to defend,then when the oppurtinty is there to attack.Expect a more balanced game from the lad.Hes an O Se,and they tend to listen and learn from past mistakes.

Cian o Sullivan is a fine fine player in a certain game,and he isnt in this cork team to score ,he is primarly there as a runner with the ball,but it is what he does of the ball,that makes him start on the team.He is a huge worker,superb work ethic,he closes down space off the ball,as he always tracks the man with the ball,and hes work of the ball is often unappreciated by some.
    He wont bag you 4 or five points
    and shouldnt be judged on that.
    Is well used to playing a deep defensive role ,and thus with Clyda Rovers used to that mindset .

With Vaughan starting he was fine in that system,with Vaughan out though huge huge,pressure on Maceoin and Cork dont have much scoring potential starting.Cian may not last a game,he is fit enough,just Cork want to contain them for the ist 50 minutes and then bring on scoring forwards.

Sean Kiely ,match winner last year,is going to be at midfield and help maguire and murphy against Kerrys giant Murphy.For all this yerra boll*x that cork could physically impose themselves ,over in the Kerry thread ,they have a Giant in the middle,and cute Kerry ,not a whispher regards him.The lad is an awesome fooballer credit the lad ,not just a Giant.

Sugrue direct and forceful running,and is needed to run at Morley or o se ,and also hes Big game Expierence of playing the last 3 years at U21,superb against Tipp in the Football final,and the hurling game also ,and has played junior and intermediate with Cork,and Senior this year,He is a leader in the team and we need a huge ,huge game from him to win.He could go in to the full forward line ,with Cadogan in the centre ,and if that happens ,then we loose hes dynasim running at the heart of kerry.

The Midfields of both teams wont dominate ,but they will have both spells where they win possesiom ,and its the Economy of what both teams do with the same share of possesion ,is the key to winning.

Maguire ,has had a superb sigerson against Mccauley ,and has expierenace of last year when he tired.He is much fitter now,and is a real talent for the Cork Seniors.Not only can he win aerial ball,he can kick it accurately and at pace.He has ability ,aggression,and mobilty with superb distrubtiton .

Murphy is a superb midfielder ,and i saw him against Tralee It ,yes without Deane who got injured in a challenge match ,and he was awesome in fielding clean ball.

Keane of kerry had a superb game last year against cork even when he went in to half forward ,and is a top midfielder and with Murphy,a sub last year,who destroyed Cork in the middle , they will win there share of ball.

That is where Kiely is so so important ,to win the breaks around the middle and ,i expect Horan  or spillane to be doing similar  for Kerry.Kiely job could be to spoil Murphy.

Corks half back unit is superb if it starts,crowley,white and o driscoll.
    White started two games ,for Cork Minors in 2013 and was highely rated by them .A superb talent.
    Crowley hasnt started a u21 game,should have last year ,and has played Senior ,in the Mcgrath cup and a superb game against Dublin .He is the Real deal at just 19.Super fast,intelligent,awesome feet and poise ,and super footballing skills.A great reader and so composed on the ball.Yes he is light,but he is a man of steel ,and extremely brave and has real courage,and balls of steel.

He has the confidence like O Dorman and O driscoll of senior and Cadogan with the Senior Hurlers.That some times is a huge benefit but it can at times be a hinderance in that take the kerry lads,have huge potential to be Seniors ,but havent played yet .

Those kerry lads have no distractions and there focus and hunger and intensity is soley in the u21 game.Fitzmaurice told them,they have to perform in this game to be Even considered at senior.

Every ounce of Hunger and Energy has been the 12 th of March since the 1st of Jan.The talk in kerry,at times is trying to blow this down as just another game and some i have talked to the last week say they dont know much regards the game.
    Fair enough if that is true.But in my opimion im sceptical on that.

A priest knows the Bible inside out.Football is and always will be like a Religon to them.Every Gaa man in kerry knows about there team.You can be sure of that.KERRY is not the Home of football for nothing.

Any time i met a kerryman,not a day goes by they dont mention football.And this is there biggest u21 game the last ten years.Of course they know about there team, and what they dont know isnt worth knowing.Football is in there blood,and thats why i have huge admiration and respect for them and the u21 game is vital to there Future.I would say and they are Knowlege people with there football ,there Second to no one in that Regard ,they have huge knowlege regards there team.

,The lads playing for kerry have ist thing in the morning,last think at night, had one focus the 12th of March .
    D DAY FOR KERRY FOOTBALL to a degree.

Crowley and Dorman ,as they are Seniors now and already on the radar ,may ,just slighlty not be as hungry or intense at u21 and yes they want to win ,but its not the same be or end all as it is with the kerry lads.Crowley and Dorman etc have the Seniors ,win or loose ,after the 12th.

This is a strange game for Crowley etc ,is there is a pressure on him ,to perform ,and its he 1st u21 game starting ,that pressure wasnt there when he played against Dublin,as people knew he had talent but did not expect much in that game.

In this game  ,the Management and fans expect so much,such is hes talent.
    He is under way more pressure in this game like the other senior lads that they had in the Senior set up.
    Crowley can handle it though.
    The key is how fresh is he mentally and physically.
    A few days rest and he should be O Drisoll is a super player,has great pace ,and vision and that unit is as good as anything around.
    White is the man that will hold the forth ,and crowley and BOD,  are the attacking wing backs that can create scores and take scores.
    If o driscoll doesnt start,that unit isnt as potent or balanced.And I would worry about having a man to mark Spillane then.Its not the lad coming is a bad player,it just he is no where near o driscoll in defenece or attack.Fulgnati likely to start ,and Cronin moves to 5 is an option.
    My choice would be to start Kieron Histon,very good with last year minors and beter than Fulgnatti.
    They wont start him though.

Our Full back is a huge huge concern and the Achilles Heel of the team .
    Dorman is Not or Never will be a 3 at any grade ,and i geuinely fear for him in the game.He has zero confidence as a player in that role.
    Was exposed last year there ,at minor and at senior against Dublin.
    People cant be fickle or foolish to say Jesus he played well against a big man,O connor for Kildare.
    That he did.But high ball in to the lad ,and a physical full forward on him is meat and drink him.More please sir.

Put a fast,nippy,full forward on him , and he is too easily turned ,and dragged from pillar to post.He Cannot like our hurling corner backs surive at Full he doesnt defend space or know how to .Hes instinct is play and attack the ball rather than defend hes man or hes space.
    A super half back ,he is.An a potential senior all star down the line.Would Quvega win a Grand National????not even finish the course.One of the greatest mares ever,put her in a race suited to her talents,UNTOUCHABLE.Same princpiles apply to Dorman.Play to he strengths,dont play the lad in a position that Exposes hes weakness.He is such a talent ,he deserves that at  the very least.

At any level you must have a full back.We ,and i hope to be wrong ,could be in for a rude awakening here as Crean and keating will expose him amd davis who is not the strongest defending.Our only hope is Preventation is always better than a cure.Cut of the ball supply in to that line at scource,which is what Cork will try and do.
    But Kerry are bound to have 50 per cent of the ball,so its a tough ask.

Cuthbhert showed for all to see why Dorman isnt a 3 or 2 picking the lad against Dublin to play  there.
    He then took him off as if to blame him.Dorman was blameless.The blame was at the manager door for picking a lad to do a job he simply cant do.

So Dormans last game ,hes confidence is shattered ,in that he lasted 25 min .I hope he recovered from that .It wasnt he's fault.

The lad yes if you ask him like any player will say,he
    Honuored and privledged to play anywhere for cork,but deep down must be anxious  in himself when he plays in the full back line.

In managements defence the options are limited . But Crowley i would have at 3.People may laugh and say that  is a clueless call from me.Whats  wrong in my opinion is to play a lad that has been exposed too many times in the past there  again.

Crowley isnt a natural 3,but he has so much natural talent ,he could do a job at 3, and unlike Dorman he is not as turned as easy .Yes Crowley is a risk at 3 but to me much lesser than Dorman at 3.

Crean  could cause him problems.Hickey ,who played with Ucc is lethal and Cronin should mark him.Its davis against Keating is my worry.Davis is too loose at times.Fine going forward,but defending is hes job at the end of the day.

With Hickey,crean,keating,and spillane a super talent they unlike Cork with Vaughan out ,have the artillery in Numbers to expose a weak full back and a weak unit in general.

Look at there subs, Keane,Savage,Daly who played for Ul against Cork in the Mcgrath Cup i think.Yes corks system of crowding the middle third and playing men behind the ball could help that full back line,the problem is with Vaughan out ,our counter attacking game is neagated,and if kerry build up a lead,Cork have  to become more open.

We have Corkery ,as a forward sub ,thats it,the only sub  to score proflicly.
    Killan O Connor with Vaughan out would be a good sub to have and was superb for the minors against kerry last year.

Martin is a super keeper,and he will be tested in the game.Last year kerry had two goals and missed two as our full back line of Dorman,and O driscoll ,then cahalane had to go back ,wasnt great.
    This full back line as a unit i think  is not as good as last year even.

A Prediction.
    Too close to call ,some people say and they are Correct  in that , and there is a temptation to  sit on the fence.
    Not my style.I want and hope Cork win .MY heart wants cork ,110 per cent to win.

My head says that while it isnt impossible ,we could win,i think kerry to win this.

(1)home advanatage is crucial.Last year i said Cork would win ,and we had a better team but i said it would be close ,but home advantage got us over the line.As great as the  cork teams were in that they were better  than this team,they just beat kerry by a point this  time ,last year.Kerry are always 9/10 times going to be close to us in these games.

2-The injuries to O driscoll and Vaughan are huge,cant be underestimated,and the two lads had huge expierene from last year and the senior set up .We a a, superb dead ball specalist in vaughan.
    We have no where near there quailty in replacements.Vaughan was crucial to Corks system of play.See i dont mind Cork playing a defensive system here as they have to as we are weak at the back and dont have a depth up front.At senior i object,as Cork have a full back line and potent forwards up front.
    Every team must play a system and style suited to the players at your disposal.Its not what style we  WANT TO PLAY,it Should ALWAYS BE A MANAGERSS 1ST  Question ,WHAT STYLE CAN OUR PLAYERS ACTUALLY PLAY.

Too often managers implement game plans akin to talent availble and are beaten before they are started.This management in fairness havent fell in to that trap.

(3)Both midfields cancel each other out.Yet  in the half back line as a unit Kerry have an advantage ,as O driscoll is out at half back.

( 4)Both full back lines are weak.But in the starting 15 and with 6 forwards on the Bench Kerry have more artillery than us to expolit our weakness,as Sam oakes is a huge loss from the bench,and Cork dont have the same artillery to exploit kerry weakness in there unit bar Corkery.

Cork had last year put up big scores in challenge matches against Wexford ,Laois,Clare, a respectable score v Galway
    and beat Dublin in a challenge matches last year.

This year We got beaten by Dublin,and conceded soft goals to them  and against Kildare we gave 4 away, who lost to offaly .Kerry lost to Tyrone yes,in a challege,but Tyrone are a different fish at underage to Kildare.Cork fluency in challege matches hasnt been the same as last year.

(  5) Kerry lost the last two games by a point to Cork in this Grade the last two years,and while the pressure may hinder them ,the Hunger ,sheer hunger,that they need this more than Cork ,and O se driving them m with stories ,i have no doubt,About what the Green and Gold means,who they represent etc,I expect huge intensity from them .

Yes cork,and i saw training thursday,are flying and well prepared but with less time together ,may struggle to match them.

( 6)Keith o Brien.
    What is likely to be a tense ,tough,bruising encounter,it is likely to be close ,a referee decison could have a huge bearing in the game.He was woeful in 2012,sent of John Cronin,then realised hes mistake,eventually i must add though.
    Hes decisions against Cork that night many times were shambolic at times,even to kerry fans.

Frees where they wasnt one,no frees when they should have been ,a penalty when no way was it,the list is endless.A real tendency to be influenced by a hostile large Crowd he has form in that regard.Worth at least a few points to kerry ,if he even is half as resembling as two years ago.Could have a huge Bearing on the Outcome of the Game.
    Before im taken out of context ,i wont to be crystal clear,I DO NOT want him to Favour Cork,Not in the Slighest ,i just want him to be fair and balanaced and equal and not favour kerry like he did in 2012.The 35 lads that play and the management with both teams deserve that .He does that then he has done a good job.Hes interperation and the use of the Black Card will be interesting.

A full strength team with Vaughan and O driscoll fully fit  ,and i would have hesistanly said Cork to shade it.Those injuries are a huge ask on Cork.

Even with the Expierence of Crowley ,Maguire,Dorman and kiely and Sugrue and Mac Eoin , Kerry have Murphy the keeper,Morley and O se and Keane and Murphy at midfeld played a Subs role last year.
    So the advantage of  Corks expierence winning the day is negated.

With everything taken in to consideration ,i think Kerry will win it just about.I hope and would love nothing more but  to be more wrong.

Come on the Rebels.BEST of Luck to them.

On  A Minor Hurling Update

Congrulations To Drominas and Current Panelist with Cork Diarmuid Buckley who in a sun drenched ,superb condition of KilmalLock ptich this afternoon he at midfield for Hazlewood got around 10 points ,from play and placed balls ,and he was superb at midfield with hes energy,industry,and crisp hurling ,and was Man of the match imo,in the Limerick Schools ,B final against Hospital.

Yes it was a level below A ,but such was hes display,great positviy for cork minors management ,as that what you expect from your Intercounty player in these games.

He was the best player by a country mile even outshing hes team mates ,both Current Limerick Minors  and highely rated the flanagan brothers,Sean and Seamie who had Great games also.The last Cork Minor to grace Kilmallock Was Michael Cahalane against Flannans in October,today Buckley wearing the No 8 shirt was majestic.Awesome long disance points,a real option at 7 or 8 or 9 for the Cork minors.What competiton we have in those aeras,with the talent avalible .
    Hazlewood won the game well in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

Does anyone think that Murphy's retirement might have something to do with morale in the camp. Cork have hardly been firing on all cylinders in the league this year. They seem to be lacking alot of spirit. I could be way off, just looking for other people's opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭rughug

Archer3083 wrote: »
    Does anyone think that Murphy's retirement might have something to do with morale in the camp. Cork have hardly been firing on all cylinders in the league this year. They seem to be lacking alot of spirit. I could be way off, just looking for other people's opinions.

TTM. Any info on the minor football set up in cork this year.Your in depth analysis of the u21 fixture tonight is fascinating.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭rughug

TTM . You are a fountain of knowledge. Any insight in to the minor football prospects by Leeside this year.

Cadogan starts instead of Vaughan

• Registered Users Posts: 34,147 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

HT Kerry 2-4 Cork 0-7

attendance 3400

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭zetecescort

15 min left Cork 0-12 Kerry 2-06

• Registered Users Posts: 34,147 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

still level 52 min gone

• Advertisement

any subs on?