Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Horse84 wrote: »
    The full back line I'm happy with just cause I want to see how Keane does at 3 even if it is against Antrim.

I've said it before but Stephen White just isn't up to this level, he won't get exposed at the weekend but as we've seen time and again he's just too ill disciplined and always likely to do something rash.

That midfield looks slow and cumbersome but Cronin needs gametime right now but particularly partnering lorcan there its just not an option come championship and I really dunno why it's being tried.

Brian Lawton deserves his chance there, I liked the look of him when he came on against Offaly, showed some nice touches and would like to see more of him and he'll learn a lot from Harnedy alongside him.

The full forward line with lehane and bud just doesn't look right to me at all. It's getting annoying to see lehane being maintained at full forward and bud hartnett might do well against Antrim but in my view he's lucky to be on the panel but that's just me.

Overall I wouldn't say Antrim will be petrified of that lineup. We need scores and lots of them so it'll be interesting to see if we can really put Antrim away, something we seem to find very hard to do to teams we should absolutely be doing a number on.
    Hard to disagree with that .

Lawton im a big fan of.The more i think about this and we arent flying up ,we could struggle badly

I see kinsale had a shock win cork b senior schools,bet mtichelstown who had Nash coaching them and cork minor joe o sullivan with them 4-8 to 1-8
    Kinsale play blarney.
    I thought mtichelstown would win.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

I see kinsale had a shock win cork b senior schools,bet mtichelstown who had Nash coaching them and cork minor joe o sullivan with them 4-8 to 1-8
    Kinsale play blarney.
    I thought mtichelstown would win.

Hurling or football?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 goalmouth

Hurling

A good game on Patricks day In Knockagree(home of John fintan daly i believe )and former Cork player John buckley) in the Duahallow u21 invatitonal tournament final at 1pm Douglas and Duhallow.

I presume kevin Crowley hardley play for Duhallow.I know there mad to have him ,but after last night,then a long trip to Mayo .the last thing he needs is a game at 1pm Monday ,likely wont get home from mayo til 9 or ten .

And then a game with cork u21 wednesday.The problem with the lad he is so good ,everbody wants a piece of the lad ,he must be game managed.
    Expect Anthony casey kiseam ,sub keeper at u21 to start.Thats good,he needs game .Tj brosnan is injured.

Jamie davis may start ,for douglas .I am looking forward to watching kevin flahive ,with douglas,expect him to be u21 next year and young kingston.

Is it true tony leen is coaching Douglas senior ?and is that the same lad from the Examiner

Any venue regards 29th all ireland schools final venue ???Midelton v kilkenny cbs

The cats are a serious team,won leinster senior the weekend,hurling is flying up there .

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭denishurley

Is it true tony leen is coaching Douglas senior ?and is that the same lad from the Examiner

Correct

• Advertisement

Correct

Thanks Denis

You wouldnt have any idea please of a venue for midelton v kilkenny the 29th march ?or if you do would you post it please

You have a good knowledge of the schools

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭denishurley

I doubt it's decided yet, I'll let you know if I find out

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭torturedsoul

anyone know what happened to the Rebelgaa website?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

anyone know what happened to the Rebelgaa website?

The server has failed.This place is a good replacement though.

http://www.thebloodandbandage.com/

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

I must add my congrualtions to Youghals newest Hero Davy Russell,and they have had many down the years,Ireland Rubgy Coach Eddie O Sullivan,John Quill USA rubgy player ,Dave O callaghan Munster Rubgy player ,Christy Cooney ,and Seanie Leary ,Willie Walsh and Pat hegarty(captained Cork u21 allireland title 1968 and won a senior also .Seamus Harnedy(expect the lad be superb this year ,Captain Cork in the Future ), is in a parish just down the road for there.

Davy is a huge hurling fan and played up to u16 with Youghal and hes father Gerry often seen at Gaa matches, he was in Mallow, at the Munster Club final.Big gaa men like many in youghal kilkeagh etc are in horse racing ,great to see Davy win after last year unlucky festival.Great to see A Cork man against all the odds finally win hes Gold Cup .Great to see another lad that left the GAA in Cork ,make it to the top in hes chosen sport .

Again ,Cork have sublime unique talents ,that an any forms or walks of life can at the very least compete with the best .
    Been a great week so far ,Cork wise .

Looking ahead to the Mayo game, Im going to go this (simply too late by time to get home,then go to Duhallow u21 final at 1 Monday)should be a huge test ,Mayo have picked a strong team.I have a great affinity for Mayo,there supporters similar to us have expierenced many famines in all ireland wins and at the hands of Kerry big defeats,and a sense of Golden Generations not winning the Holy Grail,Sam Maguire.

I enjoy our games with them going back to The Senior win against them in 89,watching them as a young lad ,breaking 16 years of anguish.
    Then we had the Minors winning the allireland in 91,the U21 team in 94 ,the great semifinal at minor in 99 we lost to a great Mayo team,but Damien Delaney two awesome goals ,(irish soccer international ),then we beat them in the 2000 minor final.We had the 1993 semifinal when we cantered home in the Senior.

Then in 2006,they beat us in in the u21 All ireland final .I couldnt begrude Mayo that day ,in fact ,if i was to loose to any team id want it to be them ,as i would love them to be successful ,as like us they have superb talent and a huge passion for the game .

In 2011 they beat us and deserved it ,and as all ireland champions id rather loose my title to them or Kerry or Dublin .
    We won the League final against them in 2012.

We have won an u21 in 84 against them and won and lost minors finals down the years with them.
    There is a healthy respect ,no contempt at all .Many Cork fans would love them to win an all ireland and im sure there the same with us.

Its not just the past we have links with then,we have the present ,Ed Coughlan ex St Fibarrs ,man that i menitoned many times and advocated when he leaves Mayo,Cork must get him involved in an intercounty team,Hurling or football as trainer along ,in the coaching with them along with Donie Bucklley,and Donal Vaughan ,Cork blood,Kanturk orginally at centre back .

Mayo have picked a strong team ,there is bit of discontent with Mayo fans with Keith Higgins ,at half forward,a bit much like Clancy with Cork.In Mayo ,i can understand and justify the expierment as they struggle to find 6 forwards of real potency and need to find New players or a New Way.

Cork dont have that problem,and our problem is finding our perfect 6 out of 12 lads ,and even with so many out,we still had better options than O driscoll and clancy(yes he may not play at 12) up front .

Kerrigan should give Vaughan a torrid time with hes pace and movement .
    Keegan and Boyle will hardly lie awake with ,O driscoll or clancy on them .Yes you want keep to them honest ,but ,i would much prefer a threat in our attack to do that ,than a worker in o driscoll .

Gibbons and o shea ,i feel with Mclaughlin helping them out could cause Cork huge problems ,as as much as people have ignored,Derry have dominated us last week in midfield.

Colm o Neill has huge threat in him but against Ger Mccaferty is tough ,but in a two man full forward line if Cork play that,imo,its a woeful ,woeful call and disregard for the player if that happens.Im hoping it doesnt .

Its hes 1st start in any game in 12 months.Christ he is some man for what he has done in the two games,but dont expect the man to be superman against Mayo in a two man zone.Help the man out ,have men beside him .To play Colm in such a role is a huge huge ask ,and shouldnt be considered ..

I remember Tommy Coyne 94,playing a lone forward role in the exhausting heat in Orlando in the World Cup in that Epic win(Two great Cork men ,in that team) and the heat made impossible,he done it,couldnt take a piss for hours he was so dehyradeted but he was fit and healthy enough to do that role to begin with.

Colm tommorrow could have a similar thankless task ,tommorrow and he isnt fit enough to run ,around ,and show for the ball as a main go guy with Hurley for even 35 minutes let alone 70 If its just two inside.He wont have that heat of Orlando to contend with but a huge lack of match sharpeness.I don't want to see Colm doing a tommy coyne,role running every blade of grass tommorrow,covering ground as were down a man inside.

Its grand to say to him , easy does it,i had that view against Dublin,but as shown against Dublin and Derry ,he is such a competitor ,and want a will in him(others would do well if they half of what he had )and a hunger to always want to be involved as soon he wears the red and white,it is in hes DNA ,it is 100 per cent all or nothing ,and whatever intentions are for him to take it easy,he wont do that.I was stupid and naive to think he could do that.The lad is a warrior and always gives 100 hundred per cent.
    Management surely know that the inner resolve he has second to none ,is going to make him fight for each ball.

Don't put the lad in a position ,where has to do that tommorrow and carry an extra load.Give the lad support .He owes Cork nothing,but Cork owe him ,and don't ask the lad do more than he should have to.

Cadogan should be fine on O Connor,and Cronin on freeman if it materalises that way .Its important cronin /crowley takes sweeney or freeman ,not O connor,as they wouldnt have the strength or height for him.Crowley may get away it ,Cronin would not.

With Shields and Cads cork can mix or match.I would expect Crowley and Cronin to swap between 4 and 7.

I just pray Cuthbhert doesnt put Dorman back in there ,and think Wed night ,proved Dorman is a 3.
    As acknowledged by some here,Dorman was in trouble any time fast ball went in to the aer.
    Dorman ,is a top top half back ,and with cronin/crowley,and Clancy id expect them to break even with the likes of Mclaughin,Doherty.If Higgins goes on Cronin,he may not score but he will try to turn him,break the tackles and create over laps and space for the rest .Cronin should be okay.A lot of pace in the backs ,and all are intelligent footballers that can kick and always have intent to kick a ball first and foremost .

I think Cork will struggle at midfield,and If Mayo get momentum in the middle they wont reliqish it,they need a 3rd win,get that there safe from relegation and ,if they get a another win from the last two games v Dubs or Derry could even get promoted if ,results go there way,so Mayo wont lack desire.I really do hope Laoire gets a game .We have nothing to loose,but could gain from it.

There want and is need is greater to Corks.Once we dont get beaten by ten points or so were okay .In fact the hype is beginning to build to among the usual suspects ,in Cork ,which Past times has proved, to be false dawns so we need to be cautiously optimstic , not this early view that Cork are going to win most silver ware this year,and while I dont want Cork to loose tommorrow ,a reality check is always good .We couldnt afford to loose the 1st 3 home games.This is not sink or swim for Cork.

Yes it is not an exaggertation that some in Cork are getting carried way,that was said by some ,in Cork during the week,like some said Corks name was on the hurling after we beat Dublin last Autumn as we had JBMS magic ala 1999.

Its been a super start 7/7 yes for Cork ..A litmus gauge to say were All ireland contenders or Certaintes to beat kerry???not yet.We beat Ul,LIT,Kerry ,Westmeath,Kildare all at home.None of them bar an understrength kerry are great .We beat Derry ,a good side ,but there not even provincial contenders.It was a good win ,but we scraped home,dominated in the middle by them so a lot of work to do .

The real test was always against the Dubs. we got more than a performance we got a suberb win.It showed,Morale,a belief,a sense of direction,and Cork football having an identity of a pure clear style with a plan A ,.We must not get carried away and beware of false dawns though. Cork even under Counihan ,always had a grit,and resilence and character within it.Thankfully its there under Cuthbhert and co,and credit due.
    What will test us is how they and the team react to a loss when it happens.

As good as a win it was,and we had a young team ,Dublin had a few missing and are still not at 100 per cent .People seem to think were there main threat this year ,I wouldnt say that yet.

Mayo havent gone away ,and are a serious team still .Clare got beaten by Dublin in the hurling,doesnt mean Dublin will win the All Ireland.
    Clares intensity ,was not anywhere near what it was against Tipp or Kilkenny,they saw them as a bigger threat.

Dublin took Cork seriously no doubt ,but i wouldnt say more than Kerry or Mayo .Mayo need to beat us so the want and desire is there so ,Cork have a big test .If we win ,then yes you could say were edging towards an all ireland ,with a bit more backbone to back it up.

Kerry have problems huge problems at underage age ,at u21.Yes that is going to affect them down the line, when a few more retire but I Could not see it being a huge hindancre in the next 12 weeks,when the likes Of Buckley,Moran,Maher give them an edge in the centre field aera.Then O Donughe ,Cox,Sullivans,Donaghy,Geaney ,Walsh ,they have enough up front to be a serious team.

The gooch is a huge loss,but Casey may be there creative link.They wont win the all ireland ,but they will be a huge test for cork .

I rememeber when Cork beat Tippeary 2011 in hurling ,handy in a u21 game in Friday eveining our local media didnt do us any favours with a headline of What crisis in u21 set up more or less the Saturday morning right across the back page.Yeah they wanted to lifted the mood,fair enough,but a bit of perspective ,nothing ,i can't stand more in sport than a False dawns.

.How fickle that looks ,no win at u21 in any game the last two years and likey to be the same this year.Those headlines don't do anyone one favours,expect all they do is Paint a picture out there that is not there and paper over the cracks and the only one a really happy are the top table as it takes the attention of them .What is worse still,is what should of got the same coverage,A Dissaster for Cork hurling splashed across the page or A new low , was the 2013 shambles against Tipp it was brushed under the carpet in he end.

The media must not get carried away with the Football team just yet.Look at limerick in the Hurling last year.

Cork football is flying at U21.People wonder whats the secret difference.There is not any magic ingredient .
    A lot of the kerry lads we hammered in 2011 have played and won Munster titles and have had better success than us at senior.

It is simple.Our management at u21,Leahy, then Cleary knew Exactly what there doing and now Sean Hayes is there is the same and they have key men with them.At u21,the last ten years,our lads have been played in there best positions for most part ,and a system and style of play in the team incorporated that suits them.
    And Hayes and Gene O Driscoll have succesful reputations.It isn't rocket science,quiet simple,appoint a top management team ,and you even if the talent isnt there you still got a chance.

When Counihan took over in 2008,bar the 1st few years,he played a system that didnt suit the talent he had ,wasn bold or brave enough to evolve.Kerry with Jack and Fitzmurice ,with less talent coming up have developed there lads and got more out of them and played a system to suit them.Thats the simple,basic ingredient Cork u21 set up has had ,that at senior and minor in the most part has been Missing is why we flattered to decieve.

In other sports all this week ,Good management again prevails.With less talent ,and against history,Ireland beat France ,a team on paper we had no right to do .Management was the key .They were bold and brave enough to get Ireland to play rubgy in Paris and it reaped benfits.What really stood out for in Schmidts post match interview was when all the hype and talk was the end of the Great Dricco,he named two players(cave and Henshaw ,that he would be looking at in the H Cup,to look for a replacement for him.Here was a coach , minutes after just our 2nd win in over 40 years,A championship won and he was already look at the challenges ahead .And saying to those two lads ,one era is over ,theres an oppurinty for ye .Like he done in hes career,and all ,the Great,the Really ,Really Great coaches,(i mean great ,not Good),he had no intention of standing still.He will enjoy tonight,the season may have a break til the summer game wise ,but He wont rest.Great coaches live for the Next challenge .A good coach,never becomes Great ,as he lives in the moment and glory of hes one moment of glory and triumph and believes hes Untouchable.
    A great coach makes himself untouchable.

Even in Horse Racing in the Gold cup,showed how tactics have a huge part in that sport.Lord Windemere shouldnt be anyway near winning yesterdays race ,in realtion to price and ratings or recent form.Yet Davy Russell ,said tactics had a huge huge part in the race,as he only motto was to stay behind Bobs Worth and then strike for home ,up that hill.Jim cullothy the trainer said the same regards tactics .You see there tough hard men ,in the pursit of victory.There is nothing worse in a team to be managed by a Mr nice,that lacks the balls and ruthless to take you forward.

Cullothy said to win at Chelthaham you must be brave and have balls(he used that word ).He said You got to treat it different that other races,be bold and brave ,hang in there and then attack that final Daunting Hill ,on the home stretch that separtes winners from loosers.

Its no wonder he won Gold Cups as a jockey either.Take Anne power ,unbeatabale appparently.Yet the Great Ruby Walsh said he was at fault for hes loss,not holding sooner.Such commendable honesty from a great jockey.

At senior level under Counihan ,Cork were never bold enough to go down to Kerry and play to there strengths,and that was a direct flaw of management .We always focused on what Kerry could do,than what we should of .We were far too conserative,and shy down there,Kerry sensed that in our style of play ,and exposed us .

I have always as long as i posted here held the belief management is the key in Sport ,and i have been fasincated by it and always research it hughely and 9/10 times constant success in anything bar the odd fluke is due to Great Management hughely influencing teams,as too often i saw Cork teams loose due to poor management.

Thats why i was so excited with Sean Hayes and Gene getting the job in October at u21.I had no fears there.The titatnic sank ,an unsinkable ship due stupidy and a poor captain .A jumbo jet ,that had no right ,to ,landed like an swan in the Hudson River. It glided in .Odds against or that are in favour of a subject are always defied due to the Man in control having the skills to control the controllabes.

I have huge admiration for JBM and Crowley , but my fear is there reluctancey to Embrace the new way of Hurling.Jbm is a huge fan of horse racing .I hope he learned that the unbeatable was beaten in a race ,and a no hoper won the biggest race of the week ,due to Tactics,in the words of the Jockeys.

Tactics,Jbm,thats what i want to tommorrow against Antrim that will only play 4 forwards .No excuses,if we dont counter that sweeper.
    JBM must control what he can control.He has the players to play A and B game plan .He must implement that style ,as last year cork came under the radar ,but this year we are so predictable ,we wont compete with Limerick,kilkenny or Clare ,and Waterford are a real danger to us.It is not a case,he isnt ruthless or brave enough to do it ,its more a case hes is a deep deep philsopher of Bertrie Troys philophsy move,the ball at pace and has a huge love to that philsophy.Thats fine in a game of hurling.Love can blind us all though.He must forget about that ,and react to the style of Hurling now present in the game.

.And i want none of the bulls*it that ,ah its just the league.I watched the Kilkenny and Dublin game tonight,and the Intensity was huge.Again Dublin wanted a statement of intent ,to show last year wasnt a fluke and they reguarly can beat them,esiceally after the Walsh Cup defeat.Cork should of showed a statement of intent ,in the Limerick game,we didn't and paid the price.No more going through the motions for Cork .And John Powers goal again showed Kilkenny are ruthless ,within 30 yards as Power showed,fu**the points go for the Goals.Kilkenny were beaten but in a much much better place after even loosing two games closely than Cork are after poor dismal games.

People say ah there was No Intentsity.You bring your intensity to games that has none by demanding more in players.Limerick Minors beat Wexford 5-12 to 0-6 last week.I was talking to a guy that was at it(i was at Midelton game same time)and he said jerry Wallis never let up or wasn't happy with the win.He was frustrated that Limerick left 3 goals after them .Thats why he was he huge success with Cork .Jesus when i see him with Limerick ,and I look at what we have at u21,and it just begs belief what we could have .Brian Cocorcan once said "Attuide comes from within,you choose your own attuide.Cork today need that Want,Desire,Hunger today in every player.

On a side note condalosences to the family of Sean O Neill,young Ballyclough man ,a life lost so tragically Thursday.A 2nd realation of Colm .A well known BallyClough Gaa man .RIP .

It Brings back the tragic loss of Cork u21 footballer panelist 3 years ago of Rory O Connor(RIP) ,a huge talented player ,with Lyre .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Excellent, draw in the Limerick game! Beat Wexford and we are up. Surprising that the tactically astute and well coached Limerick got caught like this... actually no, it's not, because it's league hurling in March. I'd expect an increase in the performance levels next weekend to ensure promotion, and then a league quarter final against a 1A team with a more settled team. Very nice prep for the upcoming summer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,883 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Scraped a win v Antrim...but thank you Offaly.....Mayo scoring well though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,883 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

4-12 v 2-14

I think we were 4-12 v 1-11 down near the end. Good win for Mayo, leaking 4 goals not that good for us - bring on the next game.

Just watched the first half of the Clare v Waterford game ( knowing the result) .....but still....ht Clare 4-15 v 0-04....an awesome first half. Munster is going to be something to look forward to again this year. Cork should hopefully be plying their ways at this level next year.....just shows how much work we have to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

Did Cork playing really well towards the end of the Mayo game, or did Mayo stop playing. Only a 2 point loss, not as bad as it could have been

Archer3083 wrote: »
    Did Cork playing really well towards the end of the Mayo game, or did Mayo stop playing. Only a 2 point loss, not as bad as it could have been

Strange game...went 0-05 v 0-00 up and went on to concede 4 goals to go 10 points down nearing the end before losing by 4.

I didn't count right, 4 point loss isn't too bad considering. I'm sure there was a bit of experimentation. I doubt Castlebar would be a ground that many teams would like to face going to

• Registered Users Posts: 34,147 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Im not happy we lost, but they say you learn more when you lose.

No shame in getting beat in Castlebar to this Mayo side, but it might be no harm to bring us down peg too.

Not saying any Cork fan was getting carried away far from it, but I think at same time it makes us still realise we have plenty of work to do and there is still issues that need sorting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Antrim v. Cork today - score please?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭CorkonianRebel

feargale wrote: »
    Antrim v. Cork today - score please?

Allianz Division 1B Hurling League: Cork 0-18 Antrim 1-12 FT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

If Cork beat Wexford they're back in 1A, unless I'm mistaken ?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭CorkonianRebel

eigrod wrote: »
    If Cork beat Wexford they're back in 1A, unless I'm mistaken ?

Yes its in our own hands now.

Has the result that Limerick got papered over some cracks in the Cork setup? Did Limerick get complacent? Or, are both management teams not that worried about promotion considering that both are guaranteed a league quarter-final, and a possible 3 extra games against serious competition just before the championship kicks off.

In many respects Division 1A is pretty poor this year, lots of weird results. Teams fielding different line-ups from week to week. I'm not sure the results really reflect the pecking order. Home advantage seems to be the most important factor in terms of the result and 2 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Has the result that Limerick got papered over some cracks in the Cork setup? Did Limerick get complacent? Or, are both management teams not that worried about promotion considering that both are guaranteed a league quarter-final, and a possible 3 extra games against serious competition just before the championship kicks off.

In many respects Division 1A is pretty poor this year, lots of weird results. Teams fielding different line-ups from week to week. I'm not sure the results really reflect the pecking order. Home advantage seems to be the most important factor in terms of the result and 2 points.

I am furious from a Limerick pov. Even if we turn it around in the Championship, there was absolutely no need for the sloppiness we showed today.

It's been a poor standard and we've been crap. And by the sound of it, Cork have been really poor today. It didn't hurt us or Dublin in the Championship last year, but still.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

Even if it is papering over the cracks, we have to get back to Div 1A as soon as possible. Look at how long Limerick have been stuck in 1B. We will only improve by playing the best

n32 wrote: »
    Even if it is papering over the cracks, we have to get back to Div 1A as soon as possible. Look at how long Limerick have been stuck in 1B. We will only improve by playing the best
    Agreed. And it now looks like Cork will get back to Division 1A. But I also feel that something more should be done for Limerick, Offaly and Wexford. Those teams are too good to be languishing in what is effectively Division 2. How are you supposed to promote hurling in any of those counties, or indeed prepare properly for championship by playing weaker teams all the time. Surely, a fairer format should be introduced. I would prefer to revert to the pre 2004 league format. Although I think the introduction of quarter-finals is better than nothing this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

We got away with it. Had Limerick won today they would have gone up on points difference. We've not had one good game yet.

yomtea98 wrote: »
    We got away with it. Had Limerick won today they would have gone up on points difference. We've not had one good game yet.
    Well I'm going to admit that I'm a little confused. I'm not sure if JBM is taking it easy during the league, or if he's making a mess of the league so far. I can't make up my mind which one it is. But the simple fact off the matter is that Cork are not going well at the moment.

Well Hurling and fooball results wise panned out as i said ,the unexpected was the mess up by limerick ,thats sum shock and by the match report 4 points down pulled it out the fire offaly did.Maybee not like 1994 ,but 20 years on that a huge blow to limerick hurling next year ,as they need div 1a.Cork by what i head were haunted and certainly if we do win,thats a big if ,we are haunted and its more what limerick failed to do than what we did.More  on that later.

The football game,well there going to be harsh truths spoken so ,in advance ,let me say this isnt me cause offence anyone and it aint personal ,but i must speak the harsh truths and if that offends anyone then im sorry .I hope everyone has a lovely patricks day geuinely.

Now down to buisness.I would recommend my preview i posted at 2 today is read,before what i say is judged,do that and people will see i aint just a negative doom and gloom merchant ,but im a realist and remarkably consistent in my viewr and in hurling and football most of my concerns were validated.Its imperative my preview is read 1st.

That team picked had no chance of winning and like i said our 3 man midfield was cleaned out,roasted and burned like a chicken on a hot oven ,we were as i said we would be destroyed,and bar walsh a one man show,Mayo won 70 per cent of play around there.

Management are seriously worrying me ,as they left Butcher Again for a whole match ,and brings on collins and leaves laoire sit on the bench.Why is laoire wasting hes time,Cuthbert is not playing him,but seems blinded to our midfield problems that its a disgrace,and Andrew lasted the game again ,and then Gould to save the day
    .And if thas bad,we then took off Crowley in a full back line that was in trouble,made in ten times worse ,threw Dornan in for a half ,and as a result conceded 3 goals ,and could have been 4 ,and Dormans confidence must be ruined.
    Management ,have no excuse for that and with the awful shambles of midfield huge concerns in them materlising.Huge concerns,as yes mistakes are made by everyone ,Yet THERE REPEATING THE SAME ONES.Butcher starts 7/80games,deane overlooked,now its Laoire and dorman at full and collins at midfield.Honeymoon is over.
    Like i said earlier we werent even in paradise yet ,despite our media blowing us up this Week.And like i said today Mayo are a very good side,have not gone away and are real all ireland contenders.

I didnt mind a loss,as long as i said it wasnt ten points.Yes it was just 4,but dont be fooled.Bar awful shooting and the brillance of Ken,it should have been another 4 goals to mayo and they made a raft of subs,the last 15 ,and allowed us to come back ,and there forwards are nt like kerry for example who will beat cork by at least 6 points if the butcher starts and he picks the wrong team as they have better forwards.That result was a dissaster,the good news is it was largely managements fault ,and if they learn from it ,were fine

Im not sure will we or wont we learn???The next two games will answer thatg

Yes Cuthbert has bought a bit of immunity in that in fairness he has and correctly said bads days were on the horizon.What is worryingly is not the defeat ,its the manner of it and The blame is at cuthbert and company for the management mistakes during the game ,subs  made and team picked.

Colm o drircoll and clancy,at half forward was a disaster waiting to happen and it allowed keegan to drive forward at every chance and he did with boyle.In fact here and the midfield domination caused huge pressure on corks defence,as the mayo half backs pushed up far on cork ,as they had bar kerrgan nothing to defend ,and thus with Cork being out played at midfield,wave after wave attack ,just ran at corks inexpierenced half back line and caused huge overlaps at times and the Cork full back line in the 1st half was okay ,was opened up at ease in the second half.

Any team that has a poor midfield and a poor half forward line,is facing down the tip of  a double  barrel shot gun ,and thats what happened

As (1)your half back line and full back line will crumble under incessant constant presrure

(2)the forwards in 13,14,15 wont get jack sh*t,of a supply and will easily be watched.

Donnacha had to drop deep to get ball and like i said a huge onus  on Colm to play a two man line inside .

Hurley is well able for that role,Colm as i said wasnt and again like i said in my preview ,a poor judge of management to expect a lad in hes 1st start after a dire injury to do that role.
    When he did get support it was too slow and laboured build up that it was easily mark him,cafferky did a fine job,before he went to Hurley ,the main threat.I dont blame Colm,and was glad he came of ,as the game and way we were set up,he wasnt going to do much.COLM hasnt tarnished hes reptuation ,one bit ,all today showed was play the lad right.

And he needs time .And as i said ,earlier he had a family tragedy so the lad had a lot to contend with.Colm ,shouldnt be judged today and i wont judge him .

Picking Colm O driscoll showed today,yeah he got a game ,no where near what we need.Honesty and commitment yes,but lads we want to win Sam,lets be clear.If its about honesty and comitment Alone  and nothing else,jesus most lads in the county should get trials.

Clancy was taken of,again cant judge the lad.Played as a 3rd midfielder at times then a half forward ,but couldnt do that role.As i said O rourke was the man to do that role,and a sub he was immense superb energy and a great goal but closng the gate when the horse is bolted is a waste of time.

When Cork needed to tighten up the defence,as Crowley who had an okay game ,looked tired ,and thats understandable after an epic Braveheart role 4 days earlier,cronin could went to 4 and clancy to 7 and hes physicality would have been ideal for Higgons.

We did bring on Loughrey who improved us,had leadership there,but Dorman then was put back .

Our use of the suajs was woeful,every sub bar laoire we used.

The worse thing was like i said mayo had goals at the back,but Corks selection wasnt bold or brave enough,and lacked real conviction to attack them ,and were like counihan too too conserative in the team picked.I wouldnt mind a loss but ,once we went for the win .That team was set up ,to have a damage limatinon and like i said we never had a chance of winning.

The way the league results went ,Dublin suprise loss to the oak leaf men ,and kerry guaranteed to be on 6 after wesdtmeath next ,means the top four is a bit tight but we should get a league semi,as mayo v dublin will cancel out one of them ,and once we beat tyrone we should be okay.8 points may be okay,but to be sure to to be  sure ,we must get 2 more points .Dublin getting beat doesnt mean there ,in trouble as unlike Cork they have a team built can win Sam ,and they just tipping along,and all there problems they face they have answers.

We have the answers to ours problems but we havent much time to solve midfield .Imperative we start laoire,as Tyroyne and kerry and a league semi is 3 games.

If we loose a league semi we have no test til kerry .And its a huge ask now for Laoire to start against Tyroyne or Kerry away ,who are very strong there.Thats why he should of got game time last two weeks .A missed opporunity in both games.
    Anyone thinking Cork had just turn up against kerry in july got a real shot of reality today.Kerry are now in a semi final contention ,and know they have a midfield ,to give there own forwards fast ball ,and also deny Cork forwards a regular supply ,so Kerry very much like i said before today ,a huge threat to Cork in July.

There manapement know what there doing.The jury is still out on ours.All the problems in the cork team are fixable but the management are the key,as they must accept midfield is a problem and also learn from mistakes.If they do that ,immense credit due ,if they dont then they deserve critisim.The team to play Tyone will reveal all.Before people say dont worry bout today etc and we had a load out ,Mayo had moran,cunnife and feeney and more out.Its not the defeat its the manner of it that was a worry,bar hurley late goal and 5 goal chances Mayo missed,it could have been easily 15 points.

Halloran two great saves,couldnt fault the man for goals.Kickouts at times poor but he had just walsh to aim at.
    Shields,our best defender ,saved a certain goal.Was on O connor,then freeman,solid today.
    Cads,was injured and looked fine ,wouldnt fear him for cork.Hampered by  injury he goes dic**ing around with the hurlers next weekend.Yeah just what the doctor ordered.No way should Dorman went in there.
    Crowley,was clearly off the pace ,and looked tired .He wasnt roasted and made 3 great tackktes.He must be rested and left with the u21s til May.

Dorman-was fine ,in a unit that had no expierence .Was caught at times with overlaps created by keegan,boyle pushing up ,due to a non  exsitent half forward line ,so wasnt like clancy to blame for being exposed,and Butchers lack of pace,exposed by gibbons tearing from midfield ,they had fires to put out everywhere.
    At fault when he was in the full backline for the goals ,cant blame the lad,he shouldnt be in there at all.

Clancy okay ,again same as dorman,had too many holes to fill with no support.
    Cronin,wasnt great at half back,corner is the place for him,struggled with physicality at times.

Walsh-a one man show ,got 3 great points,double marked,done as well as he could as O shea and Gibbons and mclaughlin on the breaks cleaned up .He has more to come,that will only come with a partner to share the work load.

Butcher-tried valianty brave ,and had a better game that last week,but miles of what we need.Catches spordically clean ball,cant do it constanly,distrubition awful.Caught a great ball ,then kicked a woeful pass that lead to gibbons goal.I said it many times that this would happen .Wait til kerry get him.
    I dont blame him at all now ,i blame Cuthbhert for constantly picking the lad.

O driscoll-tried but too hesistant and laboured .O rourke or hes brother Brian miles ahead of hhpm

Kerrigan,superb work ethic,ran hard ,created a lot bv a on man show in the unit.Couldnt fault the man ,and a real consistency in hes last 3 games.Great stuff Paul.

Clancy-between midield and half forward ,never knew what he was meant to do .Dont blame the lad,played in a role he cant do.He came to midfield on occasions ,couldnt get the ball.THEN when he stayed at half forward ,he couldnt do much with ball and mayo knew that and there wings back pushed up .The best form of defenence is attack ,and if O rourke had started Mayo couldnt be so attack minded.
    We drew there most potent weapon on us and thewm duly obliged.Good teams tend to do that.

Hurley-awseome,a goal and four,he stood up today,ran ,worked of the ball and showed a want,desire and a hunger.Said he would be fine and a starter in May .
    Colm -like i said earlier ,blameless.
    DOC,  never gave up,came deep on occasion and gave great passes but liked Colm starved of real fast ball.The problem wasnt the unit inside,so to take them off wasnt they played poor ,it  was they had no supply from poor midfield and a ineffictve half forward unit.

Subs -too hard to judge in that some came on too late ,and Mayo had such a lead that they took the gas of and made a lot of changes.O rourke made a huge difference,and collins was like loughrey busy in there half of game time .

Hurling i wasnt at it ,cant be in Two places at once but from what i read in match reports and heard from a lad that i know was at it ,Cork were awful and truly haunted to win as Antrim had a load of wides and cork should have been drawn with.Again Antrim had a sweeper and ,cork had no plan .Horgan was the saviour and lehane ,but apparently the lad was confined at 14 for periods.
    There like i  said there would be a huge wind up there.We did not have a huge spread of scorers like Clare had today for example .

I had said by that team that was picked in previous posts said we wouldnt get more than a ten point win and we would struggle badly which what i was told we did.
    It was meant to have been a flat performance .

Offaly done us a huge huge favour in there smash and grab in the end but lets not cod ourselves the league so far has been poor from a cork team that should be pushing on from last year.What i saw in 3 games,we have gone back,as others evolved.

I CANT  believe o grady teams left that game after them and blew there chance of Div 1 hurling.They took there eye of the ball .O grady is 4 games in and new style hes implementing ,so you could say there a work in progress,Cork are 3 years in to a plan yet struggling to get going and when we should have been ruthless to go goals make up 16 point gap,we didnt get a goal,just one in four games(a free),we got a 3 point win and only for offaly ,we had to beat wexford making up a 13 point gap.

Harry houidini escape for cork in that we havd a great chance of getting out of this division ,and We will gladly take it.But this rubbish,ah its just league hurling and we arent settled team ,and ah its fine is just fooling no one.

Cork are four games in and havent adapated to a sweeper or shown an intent to do so.We lost the All ireland due to a poor 3,ineffecive half back line ,a poor midfield and short another forward and a bench.

We are solving 3,but 5.and 9 and lehane at 14 and no system to beat a sweeper is a worry.We should have a settled team or be close to one but are miles of that .

Clare i hear,must watch it next few days annihlated waterford with a sweeper again.Waterford had a huge beating but Cork would get the same if they played them or kk.
    Waterford will pose us a threat ,but if they play hurling were fine.

To beat clare in a semi final is a huge ask.Clare arent even on full steam ahead yet there so far ahead of us with two huge wins and beat Kk,there a better team than last year.We are worse or at best the same .

We must starting sunday in A Must win for the Future of Cork Hurling pick our strongest team against a wexford team that will play a sweeper ,and in contention for top four place ,as it shouldnt be a game at home we should even contemplate loosing ,but Make no mistake about it ,if we pick anything like the teams we picked against Limerick .Offaly our today we will loose.

Its simple pick the best team Thursday and we will win,if we do not we loose.We shouldnt have been reliant on offaly to do us a favour we should have controlled the contrallobes the ist game against 14 man Limerick and won,thanks to Offaly we are in Control of our Destiny and must finish the job.

Its a league final for us make no mistake about it ,and after loosing four finals in the last 3 years,there is huge pressure on us but we must stand up and be counted and Deliver a Win .

• Advertisement

I agree with everything you've said there TTM1, but I'd like to make a couple of points. I think Cuthbert today had no intention of putting out a team to win the game. I think he used to game to experiment, to give players more game time. I think Colm O'Neill badly needs game time ahead of championship. It was never going to be about the performance for him today, it's just all about getting up to match fitness ahead of tougher tests in championship. Also, it's a tricky assignment going to McHale park in Castlebar. I read an article during the week where Kerrigan said he didn't like going there. So, a long trek, an off putting pitch, the game had no real signifcance for Cork in terms of maintaining their position in Division 1 or getting into the semi-finals.

Also, I might be very wrong, but I have a sneaky suspicion that Cuthbert is thinking very far ahead to a possible All-Ireland semi-final with Mayo. I've said this before, that if things work out right for Cork this year, that they should win Munster and Meet Mayo in an All-Ireland semi-final. I think Cuthbert had no intention of showing Mayo today how he was going to beat them later on in the year. I just think he wanted a closer look at the opposition, and wanted to keep his cards close to his chest. I just think it might have been smart today to keep Mayo guessing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement