Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭68deville

Wex won't play a sweeper next day,ur not dat gud ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

68deville wrote: »
    ur not dat gud ffs!

Come again.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

Wex won't play a sweeper next day,ur not dat gud ffs!
    Who's not that good. Cork? They certainly aren't going well this year, but very few teams are so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Wex won't play a sweeper next day,ur not dat gud ffs![/QUOTE

Why wont day?

Offaly are a hurling team and they did

Liam dunne has played that system and is shrewd enough to know cork will beat them out the gate in atgame hurling.

There hope is close down and crowd space and guiney hn a two man full forward line.
    Keane should be more than capable of him,i saw jack sheehan quiten him in the fitz.

Keane is physiclly stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭68deville

Big game up next for Wexford,great ta have conor mac and kenny available
    Cork favourites no doubt

• Advertisement

Archer3083 wrote: »
    I agree with everything you've said there TTM1, but I'd like to make a couple of points. I think Cuthbert today had no intention of putting out a team to win the game. I think he used to game to experiment, to give players more game time. I think Colm O'Neill badly needs game time ahead of championship. It was never going to be about the performance for him today, it's just all about getting up to match fitness ahead of tougher tests in championship. Also, it's a tricky assignment going to McHale park in Castlebar. I read an article during the week where Kerrigan said he didn't like going there. So, a long trek, an off putting pitch, the game had no real signifcance for Cork in terms of maintaining their position in Division 1 or getting into the semi-finals.

Also, I might be very wrong, but I have a sneaky suspicion that Cuthbert is thinking very far ahead to a possible All-Ireland semi-final with Mayo. I've said this before, that if things work out right for Cork this year, that they should win Munster and Meet Mayo in an All-Ireland semi-final. I think Cuthbert had no intention of showing Mayo today how he was going to beat them later on in the year. I just think he wanted a closer look at the opposition, and wanted to keep his cards close to his chest. I just think it might have been smart today to keep Mayo guessing.
    valid points and you could be right.

But midfield,laoire could had a game.

And dorman confidence is going to be ruined at 3.

He will be fine wednesday in u21 but if tipp put mcgrath on him he could be in for a long day

Anyone watch derry ?was it good game

He will be fine wednesday in u21 but if tipp put mcgrath on him he could be in for a long day

I agree with you. It's pretty poor form to keep bring a lad to all these games just to let him on the bench. It was never any fun as a player when it happened to any of us. It's not going to be much fun for him either. Not good for confidence either. I didn't see that much of the Derry game, but they're very physical and dogged. Dublin found it hard to match that physicality. Also, they were pretty clever with their fouling, that upset Dublin forwards quite a bit. I only watched the last 20 mins so maybe my views would be representative of the whole game.

I hope I am right about Cuthbert because otherwise, he showed a lot of naivety today, and alot of ineptitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Clare i hear,must watch it next few days annihlated waterford with a sweeper again.Waterford had a huge beating but Cork would get the same if they played them or kk.

Man, you're absolutely ridiculous. Clare and Kilkenny would annihilate us in the league this year if they played us? Cop on to yourself. Look at our games against Clare and Kilkenny last year in league and championship.

Man, you're absolutely ridiculous. Clare and Kilkenny would annihilate us in the league this year if they played us? Cop on to yourself. Look at our games against Clare and Kilkenny last year in league and championship.
    He's going on current form, and if Cork met Clare or Kilkenny at the moment, they'd be beaten. Championship was different last year and I hope it will be this year. Very strange form by Cork at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ballbag05

Seems to me like the hurlers are plodding along at a low phase
    Not to be too charged up at this point of the year, is at least that's what I hope is happening:)
    Still at halfback were struggling, Egan and White not upto it, Cronin needs the 14 jersey and nowhere else, lehane should have a free role to roam, Hoggy at centre fwd might be the diamond pt as well needed, would like to see Jamie Nagle and Colm Spillane in backs given a run, Cadogan can't handle 2 masters tho I think Walsh can, also Cian Mac Bud Hartnett and Paul Haughney not nowhere near this level of hurling

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭DD Mikasa

Yeah strange that Nagle hasnt got a run as he stood out like a sore thumb for Midleton in County c'ship. Spillane too not getting a run, for UCC and Cork strangely.

As for Kilkenny beating us. Probably. But I was at Parnell Park on Saturday night and there was absolutely nothing to fear there. Tommy Walsh was virtually retired in the No. 5 shirt by Danny Sutcliffe and Shefflin came on and was very poor - should have been sent off actually. They're struggling.

Back to us - bar 1998 JBM never really got truly stuck into the league. I know it can be hard to fathom but for him it's all about being right for Clare (presumably). You'd hope/imagine that most of the full back, half back, mid and full forward issues will get sorted by then.

Have faith.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/odonovan-on-the-ball-for-corks-away-itinerary-262158.html

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/road-trip-offers-relief-to-kerry-262154.html

Two articles worth a read

Ah lad your miles off with respect that cork wouldnt get beaten out the gate.You made a stupid comment last week re cork couldnt charter a flight up,ah its just the league.That game we Nearly lost could have cost us div 1 hurling.

You want facts/figures of Cork profits last year ,i will be glad to oblige.See the time consumed in getting to Dublin,take break then Antrim hotel etc.Then not home til midnight.What saved Cork is the Boh,some lads have days of.
    A flight should have been chartered for.We have more Money than Munster rubgy and less costs .While you were probaly watching ireland v france,and then not bothered to go to either game yesterday ,and watching Man u and liverpool,those lads were after a hard game ,stuck on a bus ,for seven hours and ,there whole wknd gone nearly.
    Cork lads sacfrice so much ,a charter flight i would expect .At the least why not get a train up ,then hire a bus to take them from Dublin.You can walk around a train and more come comfortable .

That happy go luck attuide ,live in the past ,as o cinnede said with kerry at u21.acceptance your divine right to go on past results without changing a damn thing ,and expect the same as before has what has ruined cork down the years,accepting mediocity and ah dont be harsh,ffs grow up lad .

Cork were haunted against clare,and dont give me the bulls*t,3 seconds away from an all ireland.In two games we were dominated and our abilty to get goals kept us in it it.

Reality Cheajak,one goal from a free and just 3 chances created in 4 games,a huge worry.You see people with the attuide,ah we wouldnt be hammerdmd if we met kk.Wake up.

Do you see cody is going give Cork that much space???also he wont orthdox,may not do a sweeper but he will crowd cork out.And they would go for goals.There intentsity would blow us away.And if that team with white,bud,mcloughlin at 9,kearney at 10 etc ,they would blow us out the gate.Clare beat us last year and have improved,they have a swagger and confidence with them.They have taken there game up a level.

I just watched the waterford game.Yes if we played clare yesterday,would beat us handy .

I would love to hear your team for the championship???enlighten me please .

No offence personally but people like you that fail to see what stares them in the face,would want to wake up,huge problems in the Cork team as it ,and dont bulls**t me the mushroom theroy we are Cork .That doesnt brush with me .

Ballbag,id agree with a lot what you said.Easy know the realiists ,from the bluffers and spoofers here.

People seem to think you can just turn it on in championship are wrong.Shane o neill said it even in an interview ,we got lucky to an extent last year and are of the pace.

The team to glay wexford has to have a blend of hurling and warriors,when the need is greatest and your a point down lads that can get you that ball and then a score.We have to get the blend with physicality and hurling spot on.
    If we pick a team with white,ellis,cian mac,and Cadogan we are going to make it so easy for wexford as ellis,cadogans hurling,with white unintelligent hurling and its slow also ,combined with Cian who is too static ,wexford lack of speed of hurling wnt be exposed.

We must have physicalty down the spine,flanked by hurling intelligence,craft ,guile and raw pace with aggresive hurlers who will win that hard bak.You have a strong spine you gain a foothold,then you create the mismatches and let the superior talent win out.

Got to play a sweeper.Every team cork play has it,Wexford will be the same.

Nash
    O neill
    Keane
    Spiliane
    MCdonnell
    Joyce
    Egan
    Kearney
    Mcloughin
    Lehane
    Harnedy
    Michael sul
    Horgan
    Cronin
    Cadogan

Subs
    Mccarthy
    Murphy
    Burke
    Walsh
    Moylan
    Lawton
    Haughney
    Nagle(should but wont be there,he is better than white and ellis and cadogan put together ffs

The system isnt the way they are selected.Numbers mean nothing in my team.

Mcloughlin to play as a sweeper around the half back line and cover the gap when mcdonell who has pace runs with the ball.Corks half backs must run with it ,hence mcdonnell or egan who has to hit short snappy ball to midfield to kearney to run at wexford.

Mcdonell has savage pace,and breaks the tackle ,superb against clare in breaking the tackle .

Sullivan at 12.plays at midfield.Hes job aint to score ,but to Forage,and break and win dirty ball and use hes strength to nulfy le chin who will destroy lorchan with hes brute force and hurling.Nulfiy le chin,wexford are beaten.Sul is warrior,loves the hard stuff and hes workrate is wht we need at 9,to compliment kearneys pace and hurling.

Horgan drops to 11 and we vary long aerail ball to cronin and harnedy to the short running game of kearney ,Macdonnell,sul .

Horgan is a huge threat long distance,him and lehane roaming and nt staying static,then there impossible to mark.You may contain one ,you wont hold both.

Cronin inside and cadogan.The lmg ball in to Cronin ,as its hard to double mark him in a two man line,if they do,means more space outside ,harnedy ,and lehane and horgan.Cadogan is fast and if he gets space ,is our shane o donell.A man that is Born for the big stage.

The key is to withdraw out towards midfield ,not in towards cork forwards as you must create space inside.Wexford have to come out as lehane,kearney and horgan and harnedy can pick of long distance points.When they do its the time for the long ball in .

Harnedy ,sul ,and mcdonell also are such strong runners to break the tackle,they can run and create the off load and space.

We have the talent to play that game.We must practice it in training during the week ,as you cant just take the ptich and turn it on.This have faith rubbish i dont buy.With only two guaranteed games left,if were loose a quaterfinal we have nothing til waterford .The games are running out.Time to stop messing about.Were in nearly april ffs lads.Get realistic.

That team and system will beat wexford.Long direct ball and too much physicality ,and we are stale and predictable and the longer there in the game,they have a chance as theres great spirit and fight in them under Liam Dunne.

Kill the game of early by going for goals,No Soft scoring when goals are on ,and you knock the stuffing out of them.

I will like i always know ,when the team is picked will know are we set up to succeed or fail .

If we go 15 v 15 and a direct style with this team or something similar we will loose,and it will be awful to watch .

Nash
    O neill
    Mcdonnell (not a 3)
    Murphy
    Keane /white/cadogan(too slow,no hurling,no training)
    Joyce
    Egan
    Mclouglin (4 years showed he isnt a midfielder)
    Ellis -too slow,hurling too slow and predictable
    Kearney -has to run on to the goal,not have hes back to it.Cant win aerail ball,no good creating space,he is only good running in to it
    Harnedy
    Walsh-wexford with a sweeper would target him
    Horgan
    Lehane-isnt a 14.
    Bud-has the hurling,but no where near the grit or steel for this level.
    A Naughton type of player .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Look, I don't see league games in February/March with experimental teams as being as important as you. I don't read as much into them as you. You refuse to acknowledge any opinion contrary to your own. Just because I'm not as concerned as you doesn't mean you can rant on about "people like me" and mushrooms and all that complete nonsense. It's a discussion forum and I'll give my opinion if I want to. You praised Limerick to high heavens this year and look what they did at home to Offaly, which was an absolutely shocking result. You're not always right. You post like you're some sort of GAA God that knows everything. You're posts are extremely condescending.

Clearly we are not playing well at the moment. That's obvious. We actually started well against Limerick and lost our way completely when they got the man sent off. I'd agree that there is a lack of experience and leadership at times and management have to ship the blame for some tactical decisions. After the Limerick game we beat 3 inferior teams to ourselves. We didn't play well, but we still beat them and lots of fellas got game time.

I'd expect us to push up a level now against Wexford and win promotion to 1A. We also have a quarter final to look forward to against a big team. It's a great preparation for the summer and I'd be hoping the team will become a bit more settled from now on.

When has been Tullamore been Limericks home ground.?????
    Tullamore is in offaly so offaly were at home.

Yes i praised limerick and stand by it and that was a huge shock,they took the foot of the gas it seems.

To focus on offaly doing us a favour and not us doing what a team that wants to win an all ireland should be doing in our case beating laois,antrim and offaly with minimal fuss and not hanging on is what i expect.

You do realise we have major problems at 5 .9,the balance up front and around 9 weeks to championship ????time to get the act in order.

Most of what i said i have been consistent,and have been right in i said we would struggle to beat limerick,antrim and offaly with the teams picked.I was hapry with the team v laois but clearly said we would struggle unless we play a sweeper.Have a good read back over them ,and you will see that .

I dont believe in this go along with things and they solve themselves.
    I simply replied to your comment my post was ridaclous.I dont think so.Whats ridaclous is the failure to see kk even in defeat against dublin are ahead of us ,and clare are .See walsh again taken of .A man with nearly an all star for every finger he has twice been subbed.Thats why kk are Dangerous ,they are Ruthless and evolving,close to there best 15.We have just started to solve the full back line.

Cork are giving lads like Cian mac,white,ellis,etc too many chances and have showed nothing for us to say there the answer.They get game after game .And they have no reputations,yet walsh a Legend,the greatest half back ever isnt doing it ,cody and even on the kk thread wanted the man taken of,why,as they want to win.Its not dissrespect to walsh,they love the player,its they want to win.

Cork picking and changing players isnt good for the team ,and you pick and try lads with realistic chances of making it .Weren not.

What would be your team next week ????you see ,whatever your opinions re my posts,i put them out there ,and they stand up in the test of time.
    Im baffled that people are great to say dont panic and that this is wrong etc,but never tell you what needs to be done.

I heard David Moyles today saying Man utd need the crowd at old trafford to get them over the line wed????jesus christ Keane must Fuming.When do United need the crowd to win them games????
    Players and managers win you games.Moyles hasnt got it ,and if i was a player looking at that,i would say is that leadership????
    The great ,great ,Teams have leaders within,they win games for the fans,not the fans win you games .Moyles needs to get real.

Same with Cork .Our team is flat ,lethartic and stale ,and we must address thouse concerns.I don't lad see myself as a god ,but thanks for the

I just have terribly high standards and am a winner and dont believe in glorified failures or 2nd best.This is Cork dont forget.

Look, I don't see league games in February/March with experimental teams as being as important as you. I don't read as much into them as you. You refuse to acknowledge any opinion contrary to your own. Just because I'm not as concerned as you doesn't mean you can rant on about "people like me" and mushrooms and all that complete nonsense. It's a discussion forum and I'll give my opinion if I want to. You praised Limerick to high heavens this year and look what they did at home to Offaly, which was an absolutely shocking result. You're not always right. You post like you're some sort of GAA God that knows everything. You're posts are extremely condescending.

Clearly we are not playing well at the moment. That's obvious. We actually started well against Limerick and lost our way completely when they got the man sent off. I'd agree that there is a lack of experience and leadership at times and management have to ship the blame for some tactical decisions. After the Limerick game we beat 3 inferior teams to ourselves. We didn't play well, but we still beat them and lots of fellas got game time.

I'd expect us to push up a level now against Wexford and win promotion to 1A. We also have a quarter final to look forward to against a big team. It's a great preparation for the summer and I'd be hoping the team will become a bit more settled from now on.
    I think that's a pretty fair view point to have. Cork winning promotion to Division 1A might be more down to luck and complacency on the part of Limerick but I'm inclined to think that JBM isn't that concerned with the league. I think he's prepared to give the lads a bit of a rest/break ahead of championship. If Cork come good in championship then we'll know that JBM was taking it easy in the league, but if Cork lose their first game in Munster this year, and then go out in the next qualifier after that, then JBM will come in for serious criticism.

Kilkenny's preparation this year is a bit strange in Division 1A. They haven't been at their best. Cody has experimented with a lot of different players. Even the older guys seem be treated in much the same way as new players. For instance, Tommy Walsh has started the last 2 games, and been hauled off at half time, mainly because he was getting a roasting, especially from Danny Sutcliffe the last night. Maybe Cody is happy enough to plod along til the quarter-finals and hopefully use those games a serious preparation ahead of the start of championship. I think it's underestimated how important the introduction of the quarter-finals are this year. These will be seriously competitive games just weeks ahead of championship clashes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

Derry were excellant, played great football.

People are missing the blantant ovibous.

Kilkenny played well against clare in Ennis in a ****ty day and lost nothing in defeat.They got a performance.They annihated Galway and Tipp.
    Got beaten by Dublin,but got a performance.And they should beat waterford at home.

So they are in a q final.They have unearthed,holden farell ,tried Ryan at centre back,have a problem at 3 ,and tried hogan there ,yes they thinkered with the team ,but they always got a performance,3 goals in defeat,and 5 against Tipp,and goals against Clare and Galway.So to compare them with Cork flat ,stale performances against bar limerick piss poor teams is miles off

Clare targetted kilkenny,got a performance and result.

Yes they didnt give a brass monkey regards dublin,they beat them two year ago in a quallfer when they were just building against a more expierenced Dublin ,so he wnt fear them.Clare had no intent against Them.

They targetted Tipp,just to show tipp and put them back in there box ,as they thought they were the bees kness after the waterford crystal cup.Clare didnt give a monkeys with that,but the league they had targetted tipp ,as davy has pure contempt for them after 98 i think even in u21 game,he was manager and he wanted to bury them .

Against waterford at home ,he wanted to beat them ,as theres people in waterford he wanted to make a point to .He targeted that game.

Galway next week ,clare at home already qualifed ,arent a threat to clare and clare could loose as the intensity wnt be up there and davy probabky train them hard this week for a league q final the main concern.

So clare at worst have got at least 3 performances out of 5 games ,and trialled out new lads and got new talent in Peter duggan making serious headway ,and Golden also.

Bar cadogan and keane no other Cork newcomer has stood out as o shea and spillane and ,sullivan arent getting a run of games to do so.

Dublin who i would not consider as all ireland contenders have got two performances against clare and kj at least.They if they play cork are a serious threat as Daly isnt naive to go 15 v 15 again.

Tippereary -yeah nothing to worry bt there ,and i was a fan of o shea until he got the Mesriah the great Mcgeeney to analye them .I said it was a poor call and that didnt inspire me from o shea .And then today he says he is baffled and at a loss to why there so bad.Reminds me of Ger fitz exact words after cork tipp u21 2012.O shea in fairness took the blame and immense credit for that ,so maybee he can learn.

Limerick have had a great game against us,antrim ,and wexford done the buisness.Yesterday was a blip ,huge loss but they got two perforanmces ,us and antrim.And o grady has the excuse of trying to get limerick to mix and match .
    Cork have no excuses ,as were playing the same old stlyle and trying players that we have tried many time in white ,cian mac,ellis etc

But when a manager says he cant say whats wrong with the team????a red alert,it isnt good.
    Mcgeeney ,role in that team undermines him imo.
    Performance anaoalst,what a laugh.Tipp arent a worry to cork ,but they are trying to play a possesion game,so i wouldnt rule then of yet .
    Get rid of mcgeeney ,and o shea the main man ,is a start .

So when you sunnarise it Limerick,clare,Kilkenny and dublin have all got at least two performances in there defeats and learned a lot.

Cork four game,got 3 poor wins against poor teams and learned nothing in what we didnt already know.Last year we had two great games,against wateford a draw against the odds and then away again and a great game against kk where we held our own.We got a draw against galway.We had 3 games with solid performances.We have nothing so far .

To compare Cork to the leading pack is miles of and i hope that piece i done explains it .Lads we must be realistic.All the teams i said bar tipp,have shown an intent,hunger,and desire in some games,can anyone tell me what game if any cork done the same against 3 poor teams.Let call a spade a spade.Laois antrim and offaly are works in progress but not top teams,and wexford the same .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,883 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

We should really gain promotion from the position we find ourselves in. Limerick have thrown away a fantastic chance of moving up.

Also, if we played Clare next week, we would be hammered out the gate, no question about it. They are playing at a completely different level to us at the moment. That said, Cork will be playing at a much higher level come the championship, I'll be happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭sean mac

Ffs lads its not expecting too much for cork to put in a performance at this stage of the league. Going thru the motions against weak teams and learning **** all isn't doing cork any good. Maybe it will come together for championship in the summer, but with 1 game to go in league and perhaps only 1 game after that, a couple of questions - who will make up the cork half back line in summer? who is our no 3? what are the dual players bringning to the panel?
    Cork are the all Ireland finalists and I personally hoped we would show real intent in this league prove that last year was only the start and aim to get into the league play offs and put it up to however we meet there, no sign of this happening, but we live in hope.
    I believe that cork will beat wexford next weekend, its at home which is huge in the league and I don't think wexford are very good tbh.
    Not writing cork off or being down in the dumps but would like to see a big performance at least before the end of the league before we enter a very competitive munster championship

• Advertisement

sean mac wrote: »
    Ffs lads its not expecting too much for cork to put in a performance at this stage of the league. Going thru the motions against weak teams and learning **** all isn't doing cork any good. Maybe it will come together for championship in the summer, but with 1 game to go in league and perhaps only 1 game after that, a couple of questions - who will make up the cork half back line in summer? who is our no 3? what are the dual players bringning to the panel?
    Cork are the all Ireland finalists and I personally hoped we would show real intent in this league prove that last year was only the start and aim to get into the league play offs and put it up to however we meet there, no sign of this happening, but we live in hope.
    I believe that cork will beat wexford next weekend, its at home which is huge in the league and I don't think wexford are very good tbh.
    Not writing cork off or being down in the dumps but would like to see a big performance at least before the end of the league before we enter a very competitive munster championship
    On the point of the dual players. I don't think either Cadogan or Walsh are contributing anything to the hurling. I actually don't think Walsh is good enough for intercounty hurling, but that's my opinion, others will say he's good enough to play at intercounty level. I don't think it matters how naturally skillful a hurler is, if he's only giving half his time to the sport, he can't be as good as lads in Tipp or Kilkenny that are giving 100% of their time to the senior hurling panels.

I'm not saying that Kilkenny are in the same position as Cork. The point I was making was that Kilkenny aren't exactly firing on all cylinders. Last year and the year before Kilkenny took the league more seriously. This year Cody wants to experiment a bit, and that's probably why Kilkenny aren't at their best. Also, fellas like Tommy Walsh, Eoin Larkin and Henry to a certain degree look to be past their best.

If Cork is a shambles, then Tipp are just as bad. Their morale seems to be at a very low ebb. Eamon O Shea seems to be struggling just as badly as JBM.

Even if Cork were doing brilliantly in the league, and finding new players, and perfecting game plans/tactics, it's not as if any of the other teams are going to stand still and let Cork get ahead of them. It's a very competitive scene at the moment. Any team could win Liam from Tipp, Limerick, Clare, Cork, Galway, Dublin and Kilkenny. So, Cork can do all they want, but there's serious competition out there, at their best it was never going to be easy to get back to an All-Ireland final, or even do better and win Liam.

sean mac wrote: »

Thats the reality sean well said.

Glad to see we have hungry ,realistic fans that thrive,want and desire high standards.

I sense from your short terenure posting a real will to win and a sense second is nothing.

I admire that greatly.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

I've actually been fairly impressed with KK so far. Cody is playing a cute game, and knows some of his older stock are at the twilight of their careers and giving a lot of fellas a run. That full forward they had for a few games, Kelly looks very dangerous albeit unorthodox. JJ Farrell is playing well, as is Colin Fennelly. Padraig Walsh at midfield looks a good hurler. Dont forget Richie Power is just back, and Michael Fennelly hasnt got a run of games. KK i fear will be there or there abouts this year.

Cork on the other hand, as most are saying are just doing enough, for whatever reason. We got relegated last year and ended up in the AI Final, so all is not lost, and maybe the level of teams we're playing is having an impact on our own performance. While its disappointing we're not hammering the **** out of these counties, if we get promoted and have a performance in the quarters and even a win or 2 we'd be set up perfectly for championship. All is not lost, potentially.

http://www.eveningecho.ie/2014/03/17/united-fanzine-claims-giggs-has-fallen-out-with-useless-moyes/
    That is just an example that the Greatest club in the world dont accept poor standards

http://www.eveningecho.ie/2014/03/17/footballers-leaking-many-goals/

Reading the part where Mccarthy exonerates midfielders is baffling and a faliure to accept our failures in this aera,so like an anything you cant get help or fix it, if you never accept you have a problem.
    Acceptance and then a soultion=resolution.
    That equation cannot be fixed with Acceptance.Simple .

We contested well in the air with the two lads ,failed to win the breaking ball.But no blame.Thats like saying the jockey got the horse ran a great race ,but drove him in to the last fence we fell.The job is to jump all fences.The job for a midfield is to win breaking ball.Thats why laoire is ideal,as he is super in that role ,and has a forageing acilty and awarness andrew hasnt and is low to the ground ,but such is hes athleticism as 2011 u21 showed he can win aerial ball and was a superb foil with walsh against kerry .

Reading that we have huge problems and the biggest one is the failure to accept we have Major problems in the middle .

In the paper today it was said also cork had won 5 kickouts in a row ,as if its wow ,great in midfield at the end of the ist half.Mayo had won 9 it was said.That isnt anything cork should highlight,in fact its a worry,we won around half what mayo won in there dominance .

In that period Walsh won 3 of those .Take walsh out were in trouble .

I watched Mayo club team in tg4 today.Barry Moran was outsanding at 14 and 9 winning clean ball.Jesus mayo have gibbons,o sheas and him going for two spots.
    If cork do meet mayo in the semifinal in august ,they will clean us out at midfield and they will beat us as even with 6 forwards that are lethal and subs better than some of mayo forwards they will be starved of ball.

Mayo are a huge threat like kerry to us,andy and barry moran,alan dillion,feeney cunnife ,barret to come in the team ,they even without carolan,poor lad has a cruciate,they are a serious team.

Tyryone have the kavanagh brothers in two weeks and ,then moran,maher or buckley.When Tyroyne as Derry proved,Mayo had clean us out ,what are the excuses then???We had problems against Dublin and westmeath and kildare also here .
    We didnt have enough bodies back there.,is that the excuse if Tyrone dominate there.Sure put rourke and collins there ,for the full game,and deprive us of there forward threat .

The stats are alarming that cork have been cleaned out in the middle.Most fans know this yet our management say hey ,our midfield is fine .In fairness like .Come on .

So you can gather two things from that article
    (1)management is a huge concern for failure to see we have problems there

(2)midfield wont change ,in Andrew and walsh will start v tyrone as management exonarate them yestesday .Also if not,then Gould .
    Imo we have serious problems and midfield is the rock this team will perish on against kerry and mayo and dublin and in two weeks will again dominate us .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Last year is last year.We came close to winning an all ireland but let's not cod ourselves we have serious issues with our half back line and we do struggle against teams who block their defence up.We also need a settled full back.If we don't improve and evolve then we won't build on what we did last year.While it was a good run last year i don't want to make patting ourselves on the back for an all ireland defeat to be a regular thing.As for the footballers now is the time to be getting a kick up the arse.We have the forwards to win matches but we need to sort out the backs and midfield.Truth be told midfield is my main worry because the backs have just been under the pump far too often for my liking during this league campaign.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

DD Mikasa wrote: »
    Yeah strange that Nagle hasnt got a run as he stood out like a sore thumb for Midleton in County c'ship. Spillane too not getting a run, for UCC and Cork strangely.

As for Kilkenny beating us. Probably. But I was at Parnell Park on Saturday night and there was absolutely nothing to fear there. Tommy Walsh was virtually retired in the No. 5 shirt by Danny Sutcliffe and Shefflin came on and was very poor - should have been sent off actually. They're struggling.

Back to us - bar 1998 JBM never really got truly stuck into the league. I know it can be hard to fathom but for him it's all about being right for Clare (presumably). You'd hope/imagine that most of the full back, half back, mid and full forward issues will get sorted by then.

Have faith.

Less of the Clare talk.We have to play Waterford in the championship first and unlike us they have a very strong half back line and midfield.Being ready for Waterford is our only agenda right now.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

The Cork U21 Football team to play Limerick on Wednesday night at 7.30pm in Páirc Uí Rinn will line out as follows:

1. Micheál Martin (Nemo Rangers)
    2. Jamie Davis (Douglas
    3. Conor Dorman (Bishopstown – Captain)
    4. Stephen Cronin (Nemo Rangers)
    5. Kevin Fulignati (Nemo Rangers)
    6. Seán White (Clonakilty)
    7. Kieran Histon (Cobh)
    8. Killian O’Hanlon (Kilshannig)
    9. Ian Maguire (St. Finbarr’s)
    10. Mark Sugrue (Bandon)
    11. Cian O’Sullivan (Clyda Rovers)
    12. Sean Kiely (Ballincollig)
    13. Dan MacEoin (Ilen Rovers)
    14. David Harrington (Adrigole)
    15. Alan Cadogan (Douglas)

Subs
    16. James McDonnell (St. Finbarr’s)
    17. Sam Ryan (St. Finbarr’s)
    18. Alan O'Connor (St. Finbarr's)
    19. Tomás O'Rourke (Carbery Rangers)
    20. Kevin Kavanagh (Carrigaline)
    21. Killian McIntyre (Carrigaline)
    22. John Corkery ( Aghabullogue)
    23. Conor Horgan (Nemo Rangers)
    24. Darragh Murphy (Valley Rovers)

There are three changes to the starting fifteen for Wednesday night’s game. Kevin Crowley aggravated a groing injury during the Allianz League defeat to Mayo on Sunday, while Brian O’Driscoll has not recovered from the hamstring problem which saw him taken off during the defeat of Kerry. Kevin Fulignati (Nemo Rangers) and Kieran Histon (Cobh) are their replacements at wing back, while Killian O’Hanlon (Kilshannig) starts at mid-field in place of Darragh Murphy.
    Cathal Vaughan, who was withdrawn due to injury before the quarter-final, is not yet fully fit, and TJ Brosnan continues his recovery from a broken jaw.

Additional Panel Members
    Cathal Vaughan (Iveleary) – Not considered due to injury
    Brian O’Driscoll (Tadhg MacCárthaigh) – Not considered due to injury
    Kevin Crowley (Millstreet) – Not considered due to injury
    TJ Brosnan (Newmarket) – Not considered due to injury
    Dylan Quinn (St. Finbarr's) – Not considered due to injury
    Sam Oakes ( Bishopstown) – Not considered due to injury
    Paddy Rossiter (O'Donovan Rossa)
    Anthony Casey ( Kiskeam)
    Killian O'Connor (Mallow)
    Kevin Davis (O'Donovan Rossa)
    John Leahy (Clonakilty)
    Mark Quinn ( Dohenys)

A solid u21 team ,good to see lads getting games like histon and o hanlon and fulangati gets a game.

We should beat limeick ,and we have two good subs horgan and corkery to come of the bench.It clear like i did say last week O sullivan would start again ,as he is in the job to do a role specfIally.
    He is against tipp in the final if we get to it as hes job is to nulfily seamus kennedy .

Again he wont score much ,and shouldnt be judged on that.Watch the lad off the ball.He does a patrick bonner,timmy mac role for the team.He wont last the game,50 minutes if even ,he is taken off then and,expect horgan or corkery to come on when things open up.

Murphy isnt starting,thats more to do with Hanlon getting game time ,rather than murphy having a bad game.
    Hanlon is a fine player,brave,hard working fast great man to win dirty ball.I rate the lad,suffered awfully with injuries ,last two years.They will be happy in kilshannig ,that great North cork club(gaa introduced to the club by a kerry man),as down the years particulary in 1987 ,Willie o Riordan a great player,was close to the cork seniors,but did not get games, he was a top to player ,top scorer from play in 87 cork juniors i think,cork lost the final,won the home final though.As a young lad, i was in North Cork growing up ,he was hot news .I remember going to Doneraile in a Munster junior final ,and i sat up me father shoulders and i was in awe of the player.He was some forward.

Kilshannig would have Glen Kennfick,played with them,living there,back playing with the Glen though,on the minor hurling or football but for injury .
    Im delighted for kilshannig.A great club and i believe they have a 5 year startegic plan.A lot of good men in the club there.There last assiocation with an all ireland final would have been last year,they had an umpire from the Club,with Connor lane ,doing the Minor All ireland final.Hopefully they will see another club man on the other line of the ptich get to an all ireland u21 final in May .And ladies wise they have there own ,Elaine Hayes President with the Brittish LGFA in England and vice president of the LGFA,and Of course Games Development manager with Rebel Og Kevin O' Callaghan is a Kilshannig man.

In townland close to Clyda,and Ballyclough across the N72,great with Mallow to see men on the intercounty seen.In fact ballyclough are very unlucky last year panel member Mark hefferanen,a fine player did not make the cut this time .

Cadogan starts and he deserve it .Cork should win and the key is a win with minimal fuss,no injuries.

We have enough.If we can with it by half time ,take of the big guns.Dorman is a huge weakness at 3,but limerick havent anything to expose the lad.Its at home so even though limerick have a new manager,lad is meant to be okay ,from cappamore and they should be organised ,Cork should win this .

Crowley injured,explains why he was of the pace yesterday.He needs rest ,more than anything.Not needed Wednesday ,vital like vaughan and odriscoll for tipp .

Histon is a fine dual player -and at home at 3,be better in a swtich with dorman.A strong bench even with so many out .

BAD news for Sunday,i hear Harnedy is a huge doubt .Hes ball winning,hes constancy and reliabity that you are guaranteed at least two points and hes Leadership ,hes Want,Hes Hunger ,Hes raw Savage Intensity and huge desire and Will to win and hes ability to Stand up when the Need is Greatest ,badly needed against the model county ,and hes Warrior instinct a loss that cant be underestimated.

Hes balls of bravery to go for and win ball he hes No right to win.He is a great,i mean great ,truly great player ,that demands the best of those around him.

Walsh has to start.Not cian Mac .

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭dring

we will soon find out as the quarter finals are on Sunday week I think.

• Advertisement

Round 5 - Sunday March 23rd, 2014

Tipperary(2pts -13 points difference )vs.Dublin 4 pts (-7)
    Semple Stadium, Thurles

Kilkenny(4pts +5) vs.Waterford (4pts-7)
    Nowlan Park

Clare (6pts + 15 vs.Galway(4pts +7)
    Cusack Park, Ennis

Quarter Final A - Sunday March 30th, 2014
    Allianz Hurling League Roinn 1 2014 Quarter Final ATop Placed Team 1A vs.4th Placed Team 1B

Quarter Final B
    2nd Placed Team 1A vs.3rd Placed Team 1B

Quarter Final C 3rd Placed Team 1A vs.2nd Placed Team 1B

Quarter Final D
    4th Placed Team 1A vs.Top Placed Team 1B

HOME ADVANTAGE
    Quater Finals will be on a home and away basis. That’ll be decided as follows: Where a team who has had two home games in the regular season draws a team who has had 3 home games in the regular season, home venue goes to team who has had only two home games in the regular season.

Where two teams who have had two home games play each other, or where two teams who have had three home games play each other, a toss for home advantage will take place. The four quarter-final winners will advance to the semi-finals at neutral venues.

Semi Final - Sunday April 20th, 2014
    Quarter Final A Winner vs.Quarter Final D Winner

Semi Final :Quarter Final B Winner vs.Quarter Final C Winner

League Final - Sunday May 4th, 2014

3 weeks later v Waterford Thurles Munster 1st Round 26th March

The permuations in div 1a are like how long is a piece of string ,or picking stones in a field,impossible to do it 100 per cent

What you could say is clare maybee may be up for it at home,its a derby game win that and there top team ,and likey to play laois in a quater final .Clare may have a want to beat galway then gear training in a weak lead up to laois as they would beat them in 25 minutes.

Laois are likely to be 4th in div 1b.That means its very likely Clare are our Semi final opponents if we get there and im glad.I want them.

Now if we beat wexford we play 4th in div 1A.
    Who that is is is

Could if results and they have went to home teams majority league stick to the status quo.

Clare,kilkenny i would say at home to win.
    I would expect waterford to be relegated and as poor as tipp are i think dublin outside of a small ptich are quite beatable and i think have pace and dublin suit them ,should win.They beat them by plus 4, and thats doable ,they will overtake Dublin and with waterford beaten there in a fight of with galway for 3 or 4th.Yes if galways get hammered they could drop out .

And we dont know which galway will come to clare (how intense are clare going to be and the same with galway)but as long as there not hammered ,(14 plus headstart on dublin )they would get that 3rd or 4th spot,with dublin and waterford in a relegation play off.

So cork would have galway or tipp,two teams i wouldnt fear as they play hurling.Of course one resuit throws the permuations out the window ,but i said id have a go .

The problem with cork is the quater final our ist real game ,is the same day we play tyrone in a Must win game,now the real fun starts with the dual code,what happens they toss for cahalane ,cads or walsh .

Walsh is a vital must against cavanagh,we have an awful midfield take walsh away we have huge problems .Cads is a must for the full back line .

Cahalane has no hurling done .

Both games are must win,footballers wouldnt want to go to tralee wanting a result and its vital we win q final ,as we need two top hurling games ,and nt worried if we make the final but we must get hurling up to mid April .

Im presuming if teams finish level it is down to point difference rather than head to head ????
    Can anyone confirm that ??that what i based my view on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement