Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I'm fairly sure it's head-to-head first, then points difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Thanks fireball. Yeah you are correct,head to head if two teams are tied,but down to points difference if 3 teams are tied or more.
    If the home teams all win this weekend,then 3 teams are tied so my permuations may come in to the fray.If is just two teams and like you say head to head then its a different kettle of fish altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Thanks fireball. Yeah you are correct,head to head if two teams are tied,but down to points difference if 3 teams are tied or more.

Say the following happens then (I'm just using made up numbers, it's not meant to reflect 1B)

Team A has 11 points and scoring difference of 25
    Team B has 11 points and scoring difference of 23
    Team C has 11 points and scoring difference of 15

Results between the teams:
    Team B beat Team A
    Team C beat Team B
    Team A drew with Team C

If two teams go through, is it Team A and Team B based on scoring difference and head to head is irrelevant?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭corkrobinhood

Didnt make either Senior game at the weekend,i'd be worried about that U21 full back line tomorrow night against Limerick,if Limericks forwards show the same willing for fast ball as the Kerry forwards did I can see us being in trouble,especially without Crowley outside them to steady the ship.

Been asked to post this here, to let ye all in on the secrets of our U-21 team for tomorrow :P

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Some very strange decisions in the U-21 selection... I mean we wouldn't have a great chance at the best of times but not even picking our best available players? I'm sure they'll put up a fight but Cork will have too much.

James O'Meara; Ryan Meagher, Kevin Brosnan, Alan Finnegan; Stephen Cahill, Kieran Larkin, Tony McCarthy; Gearoid Hegarty, Sean O'Dea; Ryan Glynn, Danny Neville, Mike Fitzgibbon; Kevin Moore, Jason Mullins, Sean McSweeney.

Subs: Darragh Treacy, Evan Quinlan, Eoin O'Donnell, Brian Finn, Sam Mullins, Shane Cusack, Conor Sheehan, Cian Sheehan

O'Meara decent keeper, Cahill at wing-back- good player. Would have played with Tony McCarthy a bit, again, a talented player. Hegarty at midfield is a big man, involved with the seniors, should be impressive at this level. As with 2 of the half-forward line, Neville and Fitzgibbon. Neville has loads of ability, probably the most naturally gifted footballer on the team, if they can get him on the ball, he'll cause problems- big, strong, quick and can score... he has all the raw tools to be a very good player.

Fitzgibbon alongside him is someone I'd like to see start for the senior team, loads of energy, works really hard, pretty much the typical modern half-forward. Maybe could add more scores to his game, but at U-21 level, he'll be a leader too. In the inside line, McSweeney would be the main threat- light, quick, hard to mark. Could have problems against a very physical corner-back, but is a goal threat.

But Darragh Treacy on the bench? On the senior panel a couple of years, one of St. Kieran's best players and they reached the semi-final this year, I think. Madness not to include him.

And Paul White? Must be injured, surely, because he was one of the best forwards in the county last season, should be on the senior team.

And bit weird that Barry O'Connell can make the extended senior panel but not this one, maybe he's focusing on hurling.

I don't hold out too much hope really- our half-forward line is our strongest line. Hopefully they'll be well-organised, well-motivated and up for the fight, but I can't understand not picking players of the calibre of the ones left out.

• Advertisement

If its 3 teams its no head to head a straight out scoring difference,just head to head if its two teams tied.

Watched Clare Senior hurling train,wont take galways lightly-intensity was out of this world .WHAT a manager davy is .

There flying.They want Top place and a 4 team from 1b .

Saw clare footballers train at 9 after them easy to c why they are a game away from a div final ,i hope they get promoted,kissane super coach ,coaching drills superb.I said in october after i saw hes ist session with them,he was superb.Class is always easy to see .

Robin i agree ,the cork u21 full back is weak,histon and dorman should swtich.

Fair play fireball,all fair love and war posted cork team etc there thread,wnt make much difference for either set up a day before the game.

What i hear ,Cork u21 bar clare are behind others in hurling challenges ,cork had just 1 against intercounty team i think,tipp for example had played waterford ,beat kilkenny hand and play dubs the weekend in tipp .

Limerick played Cats .

Cork had cork intermediates in a game or are playing them

Wexford named there team ,and they wont be any pushovers at all ,unless and make no mistake about it,we Must get the 15 we pick right,for Sunday,a balance of Hurlers,Leaders,and warriors with Expierence,but a mix od youthful ,fresh energy,exuberance of a few lads not inhibited by past failures in Cork hurling due to Awful,truly awful ,shambolic,underage management .

Nash,o neill,mcdonnell,mcloughlin,kearney,cronin,harnedy if fit,horgan provide that expierence and leadership.
    Keane,sullivan ,and Cadogan espiceally and lorchan at 5 would breathe new life in to key aeras,as would Rob o Shea and Aidan walsh also .

Walsh is an injection of a new promise in cork hurling ,and he has expierence and leadership and a winning belief from u21 and senior football and whether as a starter or Sub has a lot to offer Sunday,as does Alan Cadogan,has expierence of big games and winning them from the football.

With the rest we have to rely on UCC and to a lesser extent CIT, but we have the mix of a good blend of all what i mentioned before.

Its vital we have a few new guys Sunday ,aiming to make a mark,as they bring a renewed energy and focus,like Ireland had,when they introduced the youth,henderson,moore etc in the latter stages of the game.There a staleness,and lethargic go through the motions,in Cork that needs to be blown away with the spring air Sunday.

.And with the likey chance of an away league quaterfinal (we had 3 home games)we need a win but a performance to take in to that game on the 30th.

We pick tried and trusted(and thats open to debate with some,as depending who they are and where we play them eally and truly at the end of the day,it has been tried and failed.

THE FULL BACK LINE

Nash,o neill ,would bring expierence to the full back line that is needed as Rory Jacob and Jack Guiney are dangerous..Either or,him or Moore (on the bench)are dangers but nothing a hungry,fresh,Eoin keane couldnt handle at full back ,and they suit keanes style.Keane is expiereneced at underage with Cork.If Mcdonnell starts at 3,its poor from management.Guiney is strong under the ball,and is physical and cynical at times,watched ucd v ul,and stood behind the goal and ,he was digging Jack sheehan all the game.Sheehan is no angel ,but Guiney got away with it.Sheehan was good on him,and guiney got frustrated.Keane should handle him.

What may happen is guiney (Down to start,we take it at that ,Dunne has a history of Dummy teams and team announced a bit early by hes form,moore may start ),he goes to centre forward in a sweeper system.

If that happens its Imperative we think on our feet and act fast ,we do not leave Jacob on Keane or Mcgovern etc ,as there fast nippy hurlers the type that could cause keane problems if its two men inside .
    Simple soloution,swtich Eoin keane with o neill or Spillane two much faster men,and let keane ,be the spare man,and he has the reading ,as plays centre back with Cit v wit,to do that role .Cork management Must ,act fast and smart .
    If its 15 v 15,its fine ,but keane musnt be the last man standing with oceans of space to defend and runners coming at him from deep if its a two man line and jacob or mcgovern are on him .You wouldnt want a prob forward one v one against a winger .Its the same here or like kerry done to cork when they put Sullivan on canty and created a mismatch 3 years ago in killarney.

Spillane-a good game against laois,has that raw ,agression ,and hunger ,and again he wants to make a mark would be ideal for Sunday.Versaitly to play at 3,a huge bonus.

THE HALF BACK LINE

Mcdonell brings pace,and leadership to 5.
    Joyce has that aggsession and bite and tenacity there.
    Egan has the hurling and bite and intelligence for the half back line but would be better at 5 as Donal O grady has always advocated,and maccie at 7.The problem is which Egan turns up???

The egan of limerick,and offaly or the egan of laois and clare last year and limerick .The great,great players ,are different from the good hurlers,as they are consistent and you know what you will get.

Egan im a huge fan,always was and still am-,but he is inconisentent at times.As that famous quote,Life is like a"A Box of Chochlates,when you open that box ,you just dont know,what you will get.Its that same mantra with Egan.Thats no good for Cork going forward .

We can not enter games ,wondering what we get from our players on,Any given Sunday.We must be able to rely on them when the Need is Greatesest,and have a believe when We take the field and go to War in May ,we have Warriors not just hurlers,that will put there body on the line in Every Single Game .

If Egan was in a box of choclates and I put my hand in to that box ,and pulled him out ,I would want him for Sunday to be the Choclate with the hard Nut inside that was diffcult to crack,and you couldnt eat it,and not a Choclate with a soft centre easily devoured by Wexford with the likes of Ian Byrne or Shane Tompkins in particuar lads , could cause be formidabble opponents if they are allowed to play.

If the Real Egan turn up with Cork I have no fear, and with Mcdonnell ,joyce( a shame Sinnot is injured ,joyce would relish him)and Egan would dominate that line as Mcloughlin would be our sweeper from midfield.

Mcdonald shouldnt if he plays,there cause him bother.I wouldnt be suprised,to see him play deeper,and Guiney at centre forward and leave Mcgovern and Jacob inside.
    Joyce should be well able for him also and loves the physicality .

MIDFIELD

Mcloughlin hurling is stale,lethargic,and lifeless and suffocated at midfield,thats needs new hope, not ,him or cronin there.

Lorchan has played hes best hurling ever for CIT ,Duhallow at u21 and senior ,and Cork against kilkenny last year in the league in knowlan park .Hes reading of play is second to no one .

Kearney-is the expierence Cork need here,and has the hurling and pace for midfield.
    Sullivan the new fresh energy(picked at half forward plays here).Eager to make a mark,a warrior and bundles of energy and stamina .Vital to Cork,huge amount of unseen work ,and we have plenty of hurlers,we need a player like sullivan.If cork give the man time,is the Bonner maher,Paul Galvin,Timmy Mac,Fergal Mccormack unselfish player we need ,and every team needs one.

The Wexford midfield of keohe and o keoffe wouldnt strike the fear of God in to me,but its important ,Cork get the balance right.Hard working they are .Haughney and ellis cant start or it means we wont expose them.

HALF FORWARD LINE

Harnedy-if fit has that Hunger,will,intent and energy ,that every game is likes 1st game,a statement of intent.Harnedy if he isnt fit ,walsh is an able replacement,and i hear the hurley hasnt left has hand the last week.I wouldnt start him if harnedy is fit,but i would have the man as 1st forward sub,then moylan and coughlan.Cork should not need more than 3 forwards sub to win this,if we do there is something seriously wrong,and hard questions must be asked.

Interesting wexford have gone with Liam Ryan,a corner back with lots of hurling ,and fast and crisp delievers,he would face a different challenge in harnedy or walsh,who are just as fast,have the hurling,but also the pace to match him but the athlelistim and power that could keep him busy .

Ryan is meant to be the next big thing in Wexford and its a statement of intent that hes gone to 5.Thats done to mark lehane.Cork should keep lehane of him.

Lawton ,and Michael Cahalane would be a forward sub,but i wouldnt start them yet.Burke,Mccarthy ,O Shea ,and Nagle ,and Killan Murphy be my subs.

Bud ,Cian Mac ,In my opinion i wouldn not have anywhere near the panel when the final cut is done in May.Yes they may ,just may survive against wexford but not what we need.Im sorry ,if its harsh,but like I Said we arent an airline,there to carry fellas,We are there to win an All Ireland.People must not loose sight of that goal.
    The likes of white,ellis,Hartnett ,Cian Mac ,are not at the level and unlikey to get to the level we need.

Lehane-has the belief of last year ,towards the end,and confidence once hes in the half forward lime,and huge energy and pace to deliver on the big stage .He has more than the beating of Kenny in there half back line .Le chin has a hip injury but if he starts is a physical,athletic,powerful athlete that has has Cusack with a shrewd clip on last years Sunday game,showed Chin against Dublin and what poise and Hurling he has.
    The complete hurler,and he had the shrewdenss and common sense to play one code only .

Horgan brings expierence to half forward line,huge energy and hurling, When he drops in and out of the aera.He with Lehane and Harnedy gives the line a frehness and an unpredictabilty to it .Hes roaming would cause le chin problems,stuck between a rock and hard place,hold the centre and stop keanrey ,sullivan lehane running through or go with Horgan .Even with a sweeper,and i think they would play that system ,Cork have the players to cause them problems.

TWO MAN FULL FORWARD LINE
    Alan Cadogan inside is the new face,that new scource of energy at inside at full forward with Cronin.

He wants and shows a desire and a hunger of the ball.He is cocky,arrogrant,just what Cork need and had down the years.He has that swagger ,but that real drive and bottle inside him to stand the hard stuff.I would imagine they put Bobby kenny ,on him and that leaves ,Rossiter as the spare man.
    He always plays that role with Wexford.I think ,and i may be wrong ,but wexford expect Cork to do a sweeper.Rossiter is no threat to cork in that role,once Cork play a sweeper.What is a threat is if Cork go orthdox ,6 forwards inside,and bomb ball after ball down to cronin,
    We hanlon breaking the ball away from Pa Cronin,and Rossiter sniping the breaks.

Cork must crowd the middle third with bodies ,and play a short ,game and get the ball down to cronin and cadogan,then were a threat and with rossiter back there ,it wont matter as.Mcloughin is our Quater back Really,our Fly half,to start our attacks,when he gets that ball.

.Get that sweeping ball,give to mcdonnell,sullivan,kearney-lehane ,harnedy ,short precise passing but they all can break the tackle and create space.None of this launch bombs down on there half back line line .

Cronin is the Leader,The captain ,the go guy,the expierence,the hurling for that line .
    He is up against a strong solid opponent in Hanlon,he should have too much for him .
    Hanlon was caused problems by big men before.Cronin doesnt need to win every ball ,just 1 in every 3, and score or create when he does get it and were fine.

If its a two man full forward line,cads and cronin ,keep wide apart .As if rossiter does go to cover cronin,cadogan has the beating one v one with hes marker.Its much better ,if Cronin is double marked,its in a two man line with space than rather a crowed full back line like against laois ,and if hes crowded ,there has to be pace to exploit elsewhere .

Thats a strong Wexford team and ,there not a great team,but its clear as day they are coming to cork with a plan and a system,and the game wont be won Sunday by Cork,in if we do not pick the best team and the best system ,People must realise we are in Real,Real danger of loosing.Wexford shocked Tippereary in thurles in the last day of the league a few years ago,have a real team spirit and a belief under Dunne and will relish the underdog role .

No dissrespect to Wexford,but we have the better hurlers but we can only win if we pick the best 15 and a game plan to get the best out of them.I cant wait til Thursday as i will have a clear indiciation of our chances Sunday.

That Wexford team is
    1 MARK FANNING GLYNN BARNTOWN
    2 KEITH ROSSITER OULART THE BALLAGH
    3 MATTHEW O’HANLON – CAPT ST JAMES
    4 BOBBY KENNY BUFFERS ALLEY
    5 LIAM RYAN RAPPAREES
    6 LEE CHIN FAYTHE HARRIERS
    7 CIARAN KENNY BUFFERS ALLEY
    8 DIARMUID O’KEEFFE ST ANNES
    9 HARRY KEHOE CLOUGHBAWN
    10 SHANE TOMKINS ASKAMORE
    11 CONOR MCDONALD NAOMH EANNA
    12 IAN BYRNE FERNS ST AIDANS
    13 RORY JACOB OULART THE BALLAGH
    14 JACK GUINEY RATHNURE
    15 LIAM OG MCGOVERN ST ANNES
    16 BEN O’CONNOR OULART THE BALLAGH
    17 WILLIE DEVEREUX ST MARTINS
    18 EANNA MARTIN SARSFIELDS (CORK)
    19 EOIN MOORE OULART THE BALLAGH
    20 PAUL MORRIS FERNS ST AIDANS
    21 BENNY JORDAN FERNS ST AIDANS
    22 CONOR DEVITT BALLYFAD
    23 PJ NOLAN ASKAMORE
    24 JAMES TONKS FERNS ST AIDANS
    25 PODGE DORAN OYLEGATE/GLENBRIEN
    26 CIARAN O’SHAUGHNESSY SHELMALIERS
    CAPTAEN MATTHEW O’HANLON
    BAINISTEOIR Liam Dunne
    ROGHNOIRÍ Murty Dempsey Tomás Codd Ger Cush

I'd be surprised if Wexford did line out with that team... for one, Dunne is known for picking dummy teams. Secondly, Paul Morris is their best forward, he surely won't start on the bench. Both him and Moore are in much better form than Guiney. Tomkins is a big ball-winner, caused our half-back line loads of problems.

Conor McDonald is a back, that would suggest they'll play a sweeper and McDonald is a good player to perform that role. Chin is class, both their midfielders are very good too, wouldn't underrate them. But they do have a weakness in their backline and hit a lot of wides against us. Talented forwards, but maybe not consistent enough at this stage.

Cork at home should win.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭68deville

Guiney won't start or Moore,Devereux could be in midfield with O Keefe
    I can see Ryan staying in the corner most likely,cracking lad just out
    Of minor, Conor mac will go full forward and possibly David Redmond
    Could feature mid field or wing forward

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭68deville

Conor McDonald is a forward,bet KK minors last year on his own

• Advertisement

68deville wrote: »
    Conor McDonald is a forward,bet KK minors last year on his own

Of course you're right... I don't know who I was thinking of. Who was the full-back on the U-21 team last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭zetecescort

U-21s well up, 3-7 to 5 after 27 min. Sugrue, Cadagen and McEoin with the goals.

Not bad for a team of "big physical players"

(2nd half,41 min) Cork 3-12 Limerick 0-7

3-15 to 8. FT

Tipp well on top against Clare in other semi.

Was at the Pairc tonight,and to be fair it was a mismatch from 5mins in.

Limerick were very bad,even some of the simple things they couldnt even do.

Would have prefered to have the Limerick game first,then the Kerry game,a proper set up going in against Tipp in the final,but anyway that wasnt to be.

Cadogan was superb again,thought Histon and O Hanlon did well,I wouldnt read too much into the game though considering how poor Limerick were.

Still not convinced by Dorman,he was sloppy again at times tonight.

The real test is yet to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,147 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

When is final and where?

or has it been announced?

http://www.limerickgaa.ie/news/307023/Wednesday_s_U21_Football_Previews

From Limerick GAA website ,
    In fairness to them and immense credit for that ,as at the end of the day ,its nice to know whos on the other side in the provinces.

It would be great that our website ,that takes great pride and prestige with reaching milestones in twitter could follow what limerick done to today and do something simlar in the future.
    Our website is very good ,credit due to all involved,but you can always improve.

http://www.limerickgaa.ie/news/307039/Masita_Post_Primary_Schools_Championships_Update

Theres no Cork teams in that,but its of huge relavance to Cork,as lot of lads are likey that are playing with Doon and Ard Scoil and Pallas playing in a C final,are likely for limerick to play against cork should they beat tipp in the munster minor in June .

The cream of limerick schools against the cream and future of kilkenny hurling in St Keirans and Kilkenny cbs.Be interesting to see how they fair .?particulary Ard scoil against that famous Nursey of Kilkenny hurling St Kierans.
    I hope That Ard scoil win ,as cork man Fergal lyons is with them .

Limericks key minors should be sharp though,with tipp up in a few weeks,however maybee tiredness could affect them.
    I am going to more than likely travel up to Tullamore ,just to see what the standard is like.I expect it to be high.And with The kilkenny junior school side v midelton the week after in the All Ireland Final,there senior side is a good indication of how strong hurling is in the school.These games are great,as talking to people at the game,will tell you tell more information that you may find in the media.Michael walsh ,ex kikenny hurler went to school there.

I heard last night tipp are training hard ,and thery very quiet regards the game and huge underdogs ,and they could very well come in under the radar.

In relation to again the great info by limerick board here regards there schools teams ,i hope the Cork site give us, as much information for Midelton next week as there wasnt a lot of info in the lead up to there semifinal win v athenry in my opinion .THATS info that the cork fans really want to see on a website ,and would really be a gospel of information of that, as a lot of fans have a huge interest in the underage games.

Talking to many after the game,they did not know the game was on til the day before and some not til even after it,and missed the epic,epic thriller.That game is a huge game in Cork schools hurling ,against our greatest rivals in kilkenny on the 29th.

Id agree fireball and as i said in the preview ,i have no doubt wexford play a sweeper,and i expect one of the half forwards to play deep,as the poistining of Rossiter made my hair stand on my head, and my pulse get faster ,as its clear as a cows gives you milk ,there going for a sweeper,as he always plays the free man,and ryan moving out to 5, they want him in thick of the action.
    Its terribly naive if he doesnt play a sweeper against Cork,cork will out hurl them.A sweeper,wexford have a good chance.
    The full back is Goff from last year.
    I see Martin of Sars is on the bench.

I think guiney will drop to 11,at times if he starts.Morris is interesting will they start him.They may drop mcgovern and even start ,Moore.Jacob is a certain starter.

JBM has no choice ,must play a sweeper or we Loose.Yere u21 hurlers are down to a panel of 37,beat kilkenny in the gaelic grounds recently.They were training in Rathkeake tonight .

Talking to a lad i know in tipp gave me an example at club level ,where Mulliahone destroyed moyle rovers in a hurling champ game,when they met in a knockout weeks later mullahone lost ..???no change in players,Moyle played a sweeper and it wasnt counteracted.

What is ironic as well is how the in Cork many have changed course,in last week when we were certain to go down,noboddy said it was a dissater for cork ,but like always happen ,people say and are chosen to kind of dampen down the pessism and say ,ah its not a disaster if we dont get promoted,when in fact it Was .And now when we get a whiff of promotion thanks to Offaly ,its all the change course ,its a Must now we get promoted,and Vital we get out of div 1b.

That view shouldnt have changed,and like i preached and advocated here ,all along,right from the ist game,It was A Must we Win Promotion,no Ifs and Buts.

I hate that,going along with something,just as people dont want to rock the boat.
    Its simply a dissater if we stay in division 1b.

I said it before and i say it again.Cork hurling needs people to call things as they are,a spade a spade.
    If we get relegated sunday ,we need Honesty ,the ex cork greats must say this isnt good enough or acceptable,and not have lads trying to glorify a disaster,as ah there is light at the end of the tunnell and no need for panic.I geuinely dont want to sound extreme ,but this no need to panic attuide the last few years is why we are where we are.

In cork more than anywhere else people are slow to say what needs to be said ,as okay they may have played or have great friendships with the current set up etc.
    But They must realiise its not personal ,if your saying something purely in a hurling sense ,its no way are you questing a mans character etc ,all your doing is juding on performance within a task in hand as Ger loughanne once said in relation to Sean stack,and time has proved him correct.

A lot of close friendships and bonds exist in Hurling ,but it doesnt and shouldnt mean failure isnt questioned ,as Good friends surely realise it aint personal .
    Questions should of been asked at Board Level how Cork were relegated last April and in regards the u21 set up .They were not.

With The success last year ,the fear i have is it giving a sense of immunity at the top that being relegated didnt mean what it should of And thats an acceptaence that is wrong in my opinion as it wasnt that bad etc.No team since 1996 has won an all ireland from div2 and i do believe this division has cost us times as last year we were learning against top teams in defeat ,this year poor teams are taking the edge of our hurling in wins.

People must rememeber we done well last year very well ,but ,we had a lot of luck,in kilkeeny were a tired team and Dublin went 15 v15.
    There is the misconcetpion ,that dry,hard ground and we take off where we left off,and we were 30 seconds of a an alli ieland.People must wake up ,we were haunted to be level,and were dominated in the two games.So we simply cant be as good as last year we must find another 20 per cent as Cats,clare and limerick will improve.We werent good enough last year .
    Thats why sunday is a huge game as management and players will show have we improved.
    If cork dont adapt to a sweeper then surely it is reasonable question to ask, as to why we are not adapting to it ,after struggling in 8 games the last two years.

We all love and adore JBM,that doesnt mean we cant ask questions if the same mistakes are repeated over and over again.

Cork U21 footballers won 3-15 to 8 and going for four in a row .Twas over at half time like said it could be and it meant cork could make changes -but thats what i thought we would in my preview and we made a load ,,but no complaints to the lads taken off,when two of the full forward line get 2-8 from play and sugrue get 1- 1 from play you cant complain.
    Mac eoin and cadogan were correctly with maguire taken off to keep them fresh.Its hard to rate the subs as the game was well and truly over.Great to see ryan and o connor get games and Mcdonnell get a run in goal,shrewd managememt if martin got injured we had a lad with game time.

Take note Brian Cuthbhert ,give Hanaharan a much needed game against Tyrnone.Halloran is no.1 but give Hanahahran a game.He wont let you down,he is a top keeper.

O sullivan,superb ,breaking ball and tracking back,i thought he would be taken off ,at 50 minutest,but when a man that does not score much gets two points on top of hes industry ,it is hard to take the man off.A vital coil the Motion of Corks Wheel.What ground he covers.Similar to john o rourke,but lacks hes finese and scoring .

.Cork only got 9 points in the 2nd half and im glad ,we didnt get much more as we had the win,the blow out we needed,but look i dont want to be hammering limerick either,so im happy they made a game of it towards the end,we beat kerry last week that to me was the sweest of all victories and while i want to beat tipp,beating Kerry was the main objective.3-13 from play out of 3-15 and all that in the forwards ,without Vaughan a proflic scorer,and crowley and o driscoll two vital half backs hat are attacking and a huge launch pad of our go forward ball is an awesome return in fairness.,like the way Kerry teams play.

Well done to all the players and i salute Gene and Hayes two shrewd,football coaches.Some of the football we played was scintalling .

Cork full back was never in trouble simply as Cork dominated possesion ,and two points in the 2nd half tells its own story for thew.

Sugrue was immense,like i said a leader ,of the team,cadogan is a big game player,got a goal,could have got two .The man is so fast and tricky,must start with the hurlers.On the crest of a wave at the moment.
    Maceoin goat great goal and points.Him vaughan and cadogan must start v tipp.
    Kiely won loads of ball.

Hanlon had a great game,brave,worked hard,awesome with the breaking ball,as i said he would be.

White was good,and histon superb to attack the ball.

Fulgnati a bit loose at times ,and dorman at times a bit loose at the back.Wassent tested tonight,but There is huge concerns there,as twiced he was turned easily.Histon should be 3.Dorman at 4,simply to man mark Quinlan with Cronin just loosing out for the tipp game.Horses for courses selection.Davis solid again and strong on the ball.

Maguire was immense and is superb in the air,has Colin O Riordain on the 9th of April with o brien,hurlers as well ,to deal with at midfield.

We have plenty artillery with Maguire,hanlon,murphy and kiely options there .

Tipp beat clare handy ,a serious threat to Cork ,have hastings cup behind them beat meath in the shield final and hammered donegal and galway in challenges and with Power manager, mcgill and pat flanganan with them and having beaten cork in minor last year ,and in 2011,and having got to thd u21 final last year against us ,a more expierenced team ,they wont fear Cork -in what is a big week with Cork playing kerry in the senior ,and then the 16th cork minors a handy home against Limerick in cork in the football.

As poor a management team we have ,we should beat limerick then beat clare/waterford or limerick again in a semi final to set up a home munster final against Kerry in july

We loose that game,were in an all ireland quater final.At least we get to croke park ,but i cant see us getting further unless we get a kind draw.

Meath and Dublin won handy and are in the final,Donegal,Monaghan won handy,and fair play to Cavan beat a rated Tyrone team ,and i think cavan going for 4 or 5 ulsters in a row,a great side that pushed us all the way last year.

Roscommon play sligo and Galway v leitrim in the Connaught semifinals .Id love to play Galway if we beat Tipp,we owe them after 2011 and 2013,but my gut instinct is Roscommon will beat them.

When is final and where?

or has it been announced?

9th 3 weeks time in cork

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Tipperary v Cork a repeat of the Munster minor final in 2011 when Tipp won well i suppose looking at the U21 results Cork should improve on that result.

If dorman starts at full back we will get beaten,as they will have a plan to stop crowley sweeping gim.

Histon or crowley at 3.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

How did the three new players that came in do?

Any injuries?

Histon had a fine game,always out in front of hes man

Fulgnatti-good,bit too loose at times

Hanlon had a fine game,but maguire stole the show

It was a good run out for them and sam ryan,goalie mcdonnell at subs ,and alan o connor and corkery all got a run out.

Limerick werent great and 6 of last years u21 team wouldnt play this year so it was a huge ask for them ,but Cork done what they had to.

What was good was the huge weakness at 3 was exposed even in a game like this and histon who played at full back at 3 with the minors put himself in the running.Its either him or Crowley in my opinion.

Thats 4 game at senior and u21 Dorman has struggled there the last month.Surely to jesus they can see he is not suited to 3.Has the height and is suited to quinlan.

Vaughan,o driscoll,brosnan ,kavanagh,Crowley are the main injuries.If driscoll and crowley are fit ,brosnan is down the pecking order even as a sub,histon and fulgnati ahead of him .Kavanagh won't start but a good sub to have.

If vaughan is fit id say harrington makes way.Sugrue,cadogan,mac eoin ,are auotmatic starters ,and O sullivan is rated hughely by management ,and kiely is there to help midfield .

Thats the only change ,i would say for certain.Vaughan is needed for free taking also .Its uncertain what they will do at full back.

And midfield is a close call,hanlon wasnt tested as much but done every thing he could have done.
    Murphy was good when he came on.Both are very good players ,they may go for hanlon a better forager.
    But then Murphy is a fine ball winner.Maguire to mark him.
    O brien is a good man on loose ball for tipp.By a nose my choice would be hanlon for this game.

A fully fit team and theres 12 certain starters I would think.
    But theres u21games at club in the next 3 weeks so a lot could change.
    Its imperative that the u21s do not start with the Seniors against Tyrone next week.They need Rest and Recovery ,the most important part of any training program.

Sam oakes is out for a while id say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭blowitupref

How many of the Cork 2013 u21 team are still underage?

Martin,Histon,davis,cronin,white,crowley,brian o driscoll,maguire,murphy,vaughan,mclintrye,kavangagh killan o connor as far as im aware are the main ones eligible next year from the current panel

Then you have the likes Of Michael Hurley,Michael Cahalane,Conr Kingston,and kevin flavive ,Jack bush,Michael Macsweeney,Peter Kelliher,Maybee Jack lyons,Moyinhan ,and you have a serious squad,at home to kerry.In fact id love to be drawn them in the 1st round.Its better to beat them after one game .

In every Group you need a core of leaders ,a backbone down the centre.

Histon at 3,half back line of,crowley,white,and o driscoll with Crowley captain,then Maguire (who will be a senior by then ,at midfield with Peter Kelliher you have leaders in that line.

Vavaughan ana cahalane with the Senior hurling and football expierence be key leaders and Killan O connor will learn from this year panel.

Also hayes and Gene will grow in year two also ,and players belief in them.It is at the stage where every lads busts hes balls just to be part of even the u21 football panel,,it means something,even if you dont play you will go back to your club a better player from there training.

The dual players this year,like ,Cadogan,Sugrue,who had superb managers in Cleary now hayes and Gene,along with Kavanagh and Mclyntre are with the u21 hurlers also.
    Michael cahalane,Colm Spillane,O shea,Cormac Murphy,Cadogan,,sugrue ,are ,such talents at u21 hurling.
    And of course the Superb Pa Callaghan wont be avaible this year.That waterford game is 15 weeks away .

Congrulations To rochestown ,who won the Munster u16/1/2 football beating Brendans of killarney and now in an all irerland Semi Final saturday .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

Martin,Histon,davis,cronin,white,crowley,brian o driscoll,maguire,murphy,vaughan,mclintrye,kavangagh killan o connor as far as im aware are the main ones eligible next year from the current panel

Then you have the likes Of Michael Hurley,Michael Cahalane,Conr Kingston,and kevin flavive ,Jack bush,Michael Macsweeney,Peter Kelliher,Maybee Jack lyons,Moyinhan ,and you have a serious squad,at home to kerry.In fact id love to be drawn them in the 1st round.Its better to beat them after one game .

In every Group you need a core of leaders ,a backbone down the centre.

Histon at 3,half back line of,crowley,white,and o driscoll with Crowley captain,then Maguire (who will be a senior by then ,at midfield with Peter Kelliher you have leaders in that line.

Vavaughan ana cahalane with the Senior hurling and football expierence be key leaders and Killan O connor will learn from this year panel.

Also hayes and Gene will grow in year two also ,and players belief in them.It is at the stage where every lads busts hes balls just to be part of even the u21 football panel,,it means something,even if you dont play you will go back to your club a better player from there training.

The dual players this year,like ,Cadogan,Sugrue,who had superb managers in Cleary now hayes and Gene,along with Kavanagh and Mclyntre are with the u21 hurlers also.
    Michael cahalane,Colm Spillane,O shea,Cormac Murphy,Cadogan,,sugrue ,are ,such talents at u21 hurling.
    And of course the Superb Pa Callaghan wont be avaible this year.That waterford game is 15 weeks away .

Congrulations To rochestown ,who won the Munster u16/1/2 football beating Brendans of killarney and now in an all irerland Semi Final saturday .

Kavanagh overage id say. Played U21 hurling in 2012 vs Tipp in the Pairc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Horse84

Red fm are reporting all day that cork gaa have signed a new sponsorship deal with Murphys stout. They're very short on details, anyone got info on this? How many years did chill sign for?
    Good old frank rubbing his hands with the thought of the cash coming in from this, who needs division 1a says he ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

Horse84 wrote: »
    Red fm are reporting all day that cork gaa have signed a new sponsorship deal with Murphys stout. They're very short on details, anyone got info on this? How many years did chill sign for?
    Good old frank rubbing his hands with the thought of the cash coming in from this, who needs division 1a says he ;)

Well in the promotion pictures the players are still wearing the chill.ie jerseys so I'm guessing - it will be along the line of primary sponsor/sub sponsors - or the usual - proud supporter of Cork GAA. But I'm only guessing...:confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

Back of the jersey sponsor I would guess

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Horse84

I really hope we're not going down that road. It looks very tacky. I'm also not sure about an alcohol company sponsoring or part sponsoring the jerseys. Think that needs to be moved away from but I suppose the feckin 67 million has to come from somewhere!

• Advertisement

Agree on Dorman out of his depth at full back,I missed the Mayo game but the two U21 fixtures either side of it showed me enough to say hes not suited for that position,or good enough either.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement