Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Horse84

The Cork Senior Hurling team to play Wexford on Sunday at 2pm in Páirc Uí Rinn will line out as follows:

1. Anthony Nash (Kanturk)
    2. Shane O’Neill (Bishopstown)
    3. Stephen McDonnell (Glen Rovers)
    4. Kilian Murphy (Erin's Own)
    5. Lorcán McLoughlin (Kanturk)
    6. Christopher Joyce (Na Piarsaigh)
    7. Stephen White (Ballygarvan)
    8. Daniel Kearney (Sarsfields)
    9. Patrick Cronin (Bishopstown - Captain)
    10. Brian Lawton (Castlemartyr)
    11. Seamus Harnedy (St. Ita’s)
    12. Aidan Walsh (Kanturk)
    13. Patrick Horgan (Glen Rovers)
    14. Conor Lehane (Midleton)
    15. Stephen Moylan (Douglas)

Subs
    16. Darren McCarthy (Ballymartle)
    17. Damien Cahalane (Castlehaven)
    18. Killian Burke (Midleton)
    19. Eoin Keane (St. Finbarr’s)
    20. Rob O’Shea (Carrigaline)
    21. Paul Haughney (Midleton)
    22. Cian McCarthy (Sarsfields)
    23. Brian Hartnett (Midleton)
    24. Alan Cadogan (Douglas)
    25. Jamie Coughlan (Newtownshandrum)
    26. Michael O’Sullivan (Tracton)

Jimmy Barry-Murphy and his selectors have made four changes for Sunday’s crunch tie against Wexford. Anthony Nash returns to the number one position, while Shane O’Neill, who was on study leave last weekend, comes in at corner back in place of Eoin Keane. Lorcán McLoughlin drops to wing back, with Daniel Kearney moving to mid-field and Aidan Walsh coming in at wing forward. Brian Hartnett is replaced at corner forward by Stephen Moylan.

Eoin Cadogan, Colm Spillane and Mark Ellis were not considered due to injury, while William Egan has college commitments. Conor O’Sullivan and Luke O’Farrell continue their recovery from long-term injury.

Wexford boss Liam Dunne has made two changes to his side ahead of their vital Allianz Hurling League Division 1B match with Cork on Sunday's game. Rathnure’s Jack Guiney is named at full-forward in place of Willie Devereux, while at centre-half forward Conor McDonald replaces Gary Moore.

WEXFORD: Mark Fanning (Glynn-Barntown); Keith Rossiter (Oulart-The-Ballagh), Matthew O’Hanlon (St James), Bobby Kenny (Buffers Alley); Liam Ryan (Rapparees), Lee Chin (Faythe Harriers), Ciaran Kenny (Buffers Alley); Diarmuid O’Keeffe (St Annes), Harry Kehoe (Cloughbawn); Shane Tomkins (Askamore), Conor McDonald (Naomh Eanna), Ian Byrne (Ferns St Aidans); Rory Jacob (Oulart-The-Ballagh), Jack Guiney (Rathnure), Liam Og McGovern (St Annes).

Subs: Ben O’Connor (Oulart-The-Ballagh), Willie Devereux (St Martins), Eanna Martin (Sarsfields – Cork), Eoin Moore (Oulart-The-Ballagh), Paul Morris (Ferns St Aidans), Benny Jordan (Ferns St Aidans), Conor Devitt (Ballyfad), PJ Nolan (Askamore), James Tonks (Ferns St Aidans), Podge Doran (Oylegate/Glenbrien), Ciaran O’Shaughnessy (Shelmaliers).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Horse84 wrote: »
    I really hope we're not going down that road. It looks very tacky. I'm also not sure about an alcohol company sponsoring or part sponsoring the jerseys. Think that needs to be moved away from but I suppose the feckin 67 million has to come from somewhere!

The 2nd sponsor? Its something that can provide a substantial source of revenue for county boards. Revenue that can be put to good use you'd hope - not necessarily the new stadium, but development of facilities around counties, underage coaching etc. I'm glad to see it heading down this direction.

With regard to alcohol companies....I tend to agree

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Blarney were beaten 5-6 to 2-4 in a windy dry ,Chareville in the Munster C v15 hurling quater final by Leo o Connor(Limerick u21 coach 2011 and now Mayo) Coached Castletroy where Blarney were coached by colin casey Wexford lad.
    Hailstones made an apperance,but then the sun shone,but at times there was a lot of cumulus cloud with a strong South Westerly Wind.

That team is well coached ,such castletroy were out 20 minutes before the match and warming up ,with short striking and ball up ,and it was like watching a senior team warm up .They are well coached ,a credit to them .

It was 4 to 2 to castletroy at half time but Blarney gave it all bit with me Cork u15 player David O Donovan of Whitechurch at centre forward against a team with at least 6 or 7 lads that played u14/15 with Limerick Intercounty it was a struggle in the second half .

Donovan got a goal,and Barry Dennehy at centre back and Dinneen were there best players for Blarney but the Castletroy half back line of Barry,Brian Garry ,and Daniel Minihan at midfield with forwards of the calibre of Dean Lynch (2 goals,Conor Nicholas 2 goals,Cathal Cruagh a goal ,they had too much for Blarney .

Reale at corner back was very good,a cousin of the Great ex senior Damien Reale(a super,classy,teancious,corner back he was).

Cork schools this year made great progress with Hamilton ,and Rochestown in the Harty and Midelton in the white and Dean ryan cup,and now in an All Ireland Final ,and Charville winning the Kinnane cup ,but its imperative the foot is kept to the floor and work is done and Rebel og gets more Support as Limerick schools are in Munster schools hurling the blueprint at the moment,and Waterford arent far behind.All these Counties are improving,its Imperative we do also.

Even as i posted last week,the Senior B Limerick schools Final with Hazlewood v hospital,there was two lads,the Flanganan brothers,that have been around Limerick intercounty teams playing and as i said Corks Diarmuid Buckley with Hazlewood ,played that day.

The point is most Limerick schools are producing talented hurlers in most grades.

There Development squads at u14/15 etc are trialing out players for the the Tony Forristal etc at the moment up to around 80 players ,just shows the work there doing at the moment .Ard scoil and Doon are the flagbearers in Limerick schools hurling ,but Castletroy unlucky in the Harty this year are making strides.
    The Cork u15 with Ger Cunnigham should be fine this year.

Horse,that sponorship deal is a 3 year deal,separate to Chill Insurance ,and is part of Proud Parternship with Beamis stout and Murphys stout cork to establish old links since 1891 with Cork GAA .

Brian Cuthbhert,JBM ,Ken O Hallorhan,Michael Shields,Patrick Kelly ,and Patrick Horgan were at the Launch .

Yeah Closeline ,if Kavanagh played then likely he is overage ,however some lads have played 4 years at U21 ,and i may ke wrong but i thought Declan Hannon played 5 years at u21 for Limerick .

Not a bad team, overall I'm happy,Spillane and Egan i wanted to start but there injured.
    Lehane is fine at 14 once he doesnt start these.

My concerns and i said it would be a poor call yesterday ,is Mcdonnell at 3.Jbm said he would pick a strong team ,and if he picks Maccie at 3,he is going to start in may.A finer hurler,intercounty standard,but a total liabilty as proven again and again at 3 ,and Guiney or Moore could cause us big problems .Im a huge fan of the lad,super hurling and pace,hasnt the skillset a 3 must have .

Keane started two games ,and i saw one and he was good,i heard he was good in Antrim.Named on the Fitzgibbon cup team of the year,he should of got a game.He would relish 3.Yes they want expierence ,but put Maccie at 4, and murphy at 7 then.I think keane o neill and murphy,with maccie at 7 was a good team .

Jesus White at 7 just defies logic.He is too indecives ,slow ,poor speed of hurling ,and how he starts ahead of Nagle who cant make the panel is baffling.But why not start keane here.Im not a fan of him at half back but i would rather him than white,as he is better in the air,sharper hurling,crisper delivers but gives Cork Versality to swap with Mcdonnell .We do not have that with white.

Tompkins is going to cause him problems but joyce and lorchan in there is good news and i expect them to dominate.

Kearney and Cronin is okay ,in that is should be fine for Sunday,but cronin wont do against Paul Browne,Tom Ryan,Galvin,ryan,buckley,feenell,rice etc in champimship.
    Id prefer to have Sullivan with Cronin at 14.
    Im not sure were set up to play a sweeper and i hope to christ its not direct balls down on Cronin,harnedy and walsh,as i guarantee you there will be at least six men in yellow and purple shirts there .

Lawton is fine ,i wouldnt have started him,in that Sullivan would have started at 10 and played 9.
    Im a fan of him though,and he can play at midfield and i hope he does,but Kearney could play a sweeper between half back and midfield .I hope jbm plays that system but im not sure he will.He does we will win,he doesnt we could really struggle and loose .

Walsh and Harnedy(great to see the lad fit,powers of recovdery amazing are potent weapons if used right.

Horgan and moylan in a two man forward line ,if and i hope lehane drops deep is okay but id rather a target man in there.Im a huge fan of Moylan,hes hungry,hard working,skilful ,i would have went with Cadogan just as he is a new threat ,and a new energy and in the form of hes life ,but im not too bothered with it as with coughan and ,and cadogan is a good bench to an extent.

Will cork win ???
    It depends on the system.Im worried we go route one,with cronin ,and harnedy and walsh .
    I would like to see changes in throw in,Cronin to 14 ,lehane to 10,lawton at 9 ,with Horgan dropping to 11.

If we mix it up ,A plan A an B we should win -but 3 is a worry ,and lehane musnt play at 14 ,if that happens it a worry .

He picked a relatively strong team and it wasnt Jbm fault he couldnt consider Egan and Spillane.
    I hope spillane gets a clear run from injuries as always when he gets a run of form the lad gets injured.I feel for him.

I can't wait til Sunday .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

Blarney were beaten 5-6 to 2-4 in a windy dry ,Chareville in the Munster C v15 hurling quater final by Leo o Connor(Limerick u21 coach 2011 and now Mayo) Coached Castletroy where Blarney were coached by colin casey Wexford lad.
    Hailstones made an apperance,but then the sun shone,but at times there was a lot of cumulus cloud with a strong South Westerly Wind.

That team is well coached ,such castletroy were out 20 minutes before the match and warming up ,with short striking and ball up ,and it was like watching a senior team warm up .They are well coached ,a credit to them .

It was 4 to 2 to castletroy at half time but Blarney gave it all bit with me Cork u15 player David O Donovan of Whitechurch at centre forward against a team with at least 6 or 7 lads that played u14/15 with Limerick Intercounty it was a struggle in the second half .

Donovan got a goal,and Barry Dennehy at centre back and Dinneen were there best players for Blarney but the Castletroy half back line of Barry,Brian Garry ,and Daniel Minihan at midfield with forwards of the calibre of Dean Lynch (2 goals,Conor Nicholas 2 goals,Cathal Cruagh a goal ,they had too much for Blarney .

Reale at corner back was very good,a cousin of the Great ex senior Damien Reale(a super,classy,teancious,corner back he was).

Cork schools this year made great progress with Hamilton ,and Rochestown in the Harty and Midelton in the white and Dean ryan cup,and now in an All Ireland Final ,and Charville winning the Kinnane cup ,but its imperative the foot is kept to the floor and work is done and Rebel og gets more Support as Limerick schools are in Munster schools hurling the blueprint at the moment,and Waterford arent far behind.All these Counties are improving,its Imperative we do also.

Even as i posted last week,the Senior B Limerick schools Final with Hazlewood v hospital,there was two lads,the Flanganan brothers,that have been around Limerick intercounty teams playing and as i said Corks Diarmuid Buckley with Hazlewood ,played that day.

The point is most Limerick schools are producing talented hurlers in most grades.

There Development squads at u14/15 etc are trialing out players for the the Tony Forristal etc at the moment up to around 80 players ,just shows the work there doing at the moment .Ard scoil and Doon are the flagbearers in Limerick schools hurling ,but Castletroy unlucky in the Harty this year are making strides.
    The Cork u15 with Ger Cunnigham should be fine this year.

Horse,that sponorship deal is a 3 year deal,separate to Chill Insurance ,and is part of Proud Parternship with Beamis stout and Murphys stout cork to establish old links since 1891 with Cork GAA .

Brian Cuthbhert,JBM ,Ken O Hallorhan,Michael Shields,Patrick Kelly ,and Patrick Horgan were at the Launch .

Yeah Closeline ,if Kavanagh played then likely he is overage ,however some lads have played 4 years at U21 ,and i may ke wrong but i thought Declan Hannon played 5 years at u21 for Limerick .

Yes had a look there, he didn't play minor football in 2012 so I'd imagine this is his 3rd year hurling instead of 4th so he is overage. Still though, strong team there next year.

• Advertisement

http://www.gaacork.ie/news/307311/Rebel_Og_Academy_Activities_March_22nd

Great to see that the a Cork u16 taking on Limerick in the North Campus tommorrow in ul under the Guidance of the Rock .A good barometer for the Rock to get himself in to the swing of it.
    You wont get a better test than Limerick at present ,and Cork players are going to be playing them at schools and intercounty a lot in the future its good for them to play each other.
    Weather shouldnt effect the conditions as that astro ptich is the same ptich Clare senior hurling and football,limerick minors etc use ,and is a top to ptich ,with the North Campus restaurant right beside it.A top facilty .

And the u17 going to Kerry for The nolan tournament in abbeydourney.
    Tippeary should be a good test but that u17 team with a lot of lads on the minor panel is a strong panel .

I see Barry Denehey made the Cork squad of blarney ,i saw him on a beaten blarney side yesterday and he was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭rughug

St.Kierans trounce Ard Scoil Ris.

Where in the hell does that leave the Cork schools efforts. Instead of ploughing money in to Ballintemple where no one wants it except the dictatorship at the top table Cork ought to be sorting out the coaching and management structures in the relevant secondary schools. We are being left so far behind it is lamentable.Gone are the days when the Mon. Farna .Colmans and Midleton CBS. walked over the opposition from Clare .Limerick , Tipp and Kilkenny. This Rebel Og camp business is only scratching at the surface. One needs to get in to the schools. This year two Kilkenny schools will play each other in the all ireland final .Two linerick schools in the Harty final. God Bless Mark Landers and Denny Ring but they are pissing in to the gale.

Cork u16 2-17 to 2-10 A team won
    Cork u16 b team lost 1-17 to 0-10 in limerick in ul north campus 3g ptitich astro in 3x 20 minute halfs.
    I shall do a match report cork teams later lads so bear with me. .

As regards limerick Ard scoil beaten is a suprise ,and they are the cream of kilkenny hurling ,but beaten by 5 points and two goals i heard were meant to be soft with 1- -1 coming in the last minute doesnt mean they were dominated,doon i hear were.Kierans also is the hotbed of kilkenny.I would have went to those games today but when i heard the cork u16 were playing had to watch them instead.

Kilkenny schools is dominant ,and a great test of midelton next week ,in the u16 all irdland final against kilkenney cbs with 4 aprox kilkenny minors.

Limerick are the blueprint in munster but yes behind Kilkenny so cork have a gap to make up but i wouldntbe too hard on hamilton and rochestown ,after 16 and ten year harty absent years done superbly get to quater finals against far more expierenced and more rescourceed ard scoil and doon ,and they will be better for this year expierence,and midelton beat a highly rated ard scoil in the dean ryan cup and have huge talent coming up ,so a harty cup win is attainable.

Schools were neglected for years and its just the last two years we closed the gap.

I go to alot u14,15,16,17 training games,club games,intercounty training and schools and tournaments etc ,know the underage scence in cork very well and have seen a lot of this year minor set up,train and play and your wrong to say that landers and ring are pissing against the wind,in that the 30 lads they have are the best prepared ,in strength and conditioned,fitness,hurling etc the last ten years and unlike the schools where there is 2/3 etc talents theres a huge core of talent and if its limerick we meet they have a huge chance and will rattle them .

If you said the u21 hurlers were pis sing against the wind id agree as management is poor and one of our best players wont play this year,but its wrong to say the minors are.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

http://www.gaacork.ie/news/307311/Rebel_Og_Academy_Activities_March_22nd

Great to see that the a Cork u16 taking on Limerick in the North Campus tommorrow in ul under the Guidance of the Rock .A good barometer for the Rock to get himself in to the swing of it.
    You wont get a better test than Limerick at present ,and Cork players are going to be playing them at schools and intercounty a lot in the future its good for them to play each other.
    Weather shouldnt effect the conditions as that astro ptich is the same ptich Clare senior hurling and football,limerick minors etc use ,and is a top to ptich ,with the North Campus restaurant right beside it.A top facilty .

And the u17 going to Kerry for The nolan tournament in abbeydourney.
    Tippeary should be a good test but that u17 team with a lot of lads on the minor panel is a strong panel .

I see Barry Denehey made the Cork squad of blarney ,i saw him on a beaten blarney side yesterday and he was excellent.

Good to see the Cork site giving details of the make-up of underage squads in the county, nice to see who's involved at that level. In Limerick, details can be pretty sparse for whatever reason, right up until minor level tbh.

• Advertisement

Hamilton will never again be heard of in the Harty. This years team were a one hit wonder. The powers that be should be ensuring that the structures are in place in a few strategic hurling schools in the hurling areas and likewise football schools in the football areas.

Cork u16 hurlers A team beat Limerick A team 2-17 to 2-10 in the astro turf ,ul North Campus ptich.
    Both the A and B games had 3 x 20 minutes -and Diarmuid O Sullivan was with them,while Noel Hartigan,and Jerry Wallis ,that great cork coach,with Limerick teams.Limerick A team was mainly made up of the city east and west divisions.Wallis is some coach and the work he is putting to Limerick from u14 to 18 is phenomal and he is a huge huge credit to himself and Limerick County Board ,and Cork should have done everything possible to keep him involved with Cork at some Intercounty level.

Not Limerick strongest teams by any means ,as they had a few lads with the Ard Scoil panel and Doon today and Pallas also .
    But a good test for Cork all the same

It was level at 4-4 apiece ,at the end of the 1st period  then the 2nd period Cork lead 1-11 to 2-5  (winning that half, 1-7 to 2-1 )and then in the last 20 minute period won 1-6 to 0-5 points winning the match 2:-17 to 2-10 with Tristan O Leary Sars and Daniel Gunning getting a superb goal,brother of Eddie ,a Cork minor,the Na Piasaigh Lad was very good at centre forward.

Cork U 16 Hurling A Team that started

Barry Kenneally-kanturk,got a run as did Colin Looney Sarsfields.Both were very good,Kennellys shows what Nash has done,in that every lad in kanturk would want to be a keeper now.
    Robert Bourke Ballincollig
    Paddy Gleasson  Eire Og
    Darragh Guiney Newtwonshandrum
    Kevin Murphy St Itas
    Conor Murphy Blarney
    Niall O Leary Castletlyons
    Aaron CollinsWatergrasshill
    Stephen Condon Glanworth
    Gearoid O Donughe Ballincollig
    Daniel Gunning Na Piarsaigh
    Tadhg Deasy Blackrock
    Tristan O Leary Sarsfields
    Kieran Cashman Lisgoold
    Jack O Connor Sarsfields

Lads like Jack Ryan Sliabh Rua,Shane O Driscoll Sarsfields,Niall Murphy etc,all got game time also.

They all played well but the stand out players for Cork would have to be Darragh Guiney(a half back at club)superb in the right corner back poistion.I mentioned the lad before as a talent he can hurl left and right,and very fast and leads from the back,always attacks the ball.

Robert Bourke was very good,he just won a u15  football premier title last week , along with hes Clubman Gearoid O Donoughe and teamate who got 4 points against Glamire in that final ,both were impressive today.

Conor Murphy and Kevin Murphy hurled a lot of ball with ,Tristan O Leary ,Tadhg Deasy ,and Gunning very good up front.Cashaman at 14,very strong and tall won a lot of ball,and Jack O Connor who is in great form at club level with sars,got some great points.
    Cork were missing lads with Midelton next week ,in the All Ireland final ,the likes of
    Jack McDonnell  ,Josh Beausang
    ,Killian Treacy  and ,Garan Manley,shows the strength of them at u16 and they will shake the u16 Arrabawn tournament in Autumn.

The Cork U16 Hurling B Team lost 1-17 to10.
    At the end of the Ist half it was 1-7 to 4 in favour of limerick then 1-11 to 8 at the 2nd period (drew that half 4 apiece ,and Limerick won the last half 0-6 to 02.

The B team gave there all,couldnt fault any one for there effort just one of those days,and they will learn from it.Michael John Shine Blarney ,Killian Ahern Na Piarsaigh,Adam O Sullivan Kilshannig and Ronan Harrington Passage Were very good for them ,with Ahern scoring some nice points and with the likes of  him,Evan Connell,Dayne Lee,The Gunning lads ,they have good talented young hurlers coming through.

I feel Na Piarsaigh will be strong in the future,and thats good for Cork,as we need the city clubs to be prominent.
    One player that was very impressive was Ronan Harraington of Passage(that great club of the Great Justin Mccarthy and three goal Eddie,3 goals in the 1970 all ireland final ,a remarkable feat that held its own for 40 years.Made more legendery ,that he had a few Guinness the night before.).

This lad is a dual player , i belive .Today imo,he was the best of the midfielders on show ,of all the 4 teams.Strong on the ball,hurler that is just as strong on both sides,was always on the ball.
    Lads at this age group,its always hard to say who may or not make the next grade etc,for various reasons but it will be interesting to watch them develop as all the players today are talented hurlers.

They will get better under the guidance of the Rock.Ist time saw him in action,extremelmy impressed by hes organistion,hes shrewdness and hes calm composure on the line.
    Early yet ,im normally seldom wrong with managers in my judgement,my view is the Rock will be okay .

In relation to the comment regards Hamilton never again doing well in the Harty and they should be almagated more or less,thats  dissrespectful to Hamilton and makes me actually think that people with that view don't have the remote understanding of the level of work gone in to the school ,and that is still going in by Crowley for example ,a harty winner himself with Franferris and also managed Carbery to a Senior County in 94,
    at hurling in the school.

Hamilton people must realise and many do,that they had a 16 year absence from the Harty cup 95 to 2012.Won a Kinnane Cup ,in 2011, then held there own in the 1st year back in the group stages,ran the top teams to 3 or 4 points and Michael cahalane was injured for a few of them and absent for one i think.

They werent give much chance,a hope in hell even by me to get out the group  so soon this year ,as they had a tough group,but they beat de la salle,flannans ,and then had to play Dungarvan with 7 of the 2013 croke team winners ,with Kevin Daly the waterford captain and curran and donnelly ,in the quater final and by no means shamed to Ard scoil .

They in 3 years made huge progress,and what they need like other cork schools is help and funding from the board and more help coaching wise,.What they dont need is people with narrow minded views that are dissrespectful to what they produced ,in saying they will never be as good again  and knocking them down.Also that school has 3 cork minors,Jerry O Neill,Luke meade, chris o leary ,and had Michael Cahalane and Trevor Horgan dual minors last year with Michael macsweeney,that are u21 potential players in the future.

That school has been a predomintely football focused,so Hurling is takeing time but Must be continued as valley rover,bandon ,and newecstown etc have a huge talent base ,so joining with others,some talents would be lost  and not developed in the game.

Hamilton must be on its own ,as it gives west cork a real Idenity in Hurling.Bob ryan said that Hamilton ,should amalagamate in 2012 with our schools.This year success and the talents they have produced for cork intercounty shows they dont and shouldnt almagatmate and can Stand on its own two fee,it would be great if the board helped Hamilton with money to support coaching etc ,and increase the Gdos in west cork.

One point that i do agree with ,is that Rebel og must get more help and funding as compared to limerick and waterford they are barely scratching the surface.Limerick gets funding in the schoolr from the dublin branch of the limerick supporters club,local buisnesmen and the county board.There schools teams,Ard scoil are treated like professionals ,meals after games etc ,gyms you name it.
    Buses to and from matches.

Even today ,there A and b teams were well treated ,and they had food etc after.
    The Cork set up had nothing i believe,and the players had to make there own way to limerick by parents etc cars .Why not hire a bus for them .

They had a bus in kerry for the u17 lads today but no bus for the u16 team,and a lot of city lads and farther afield are with the panel .Surely a bus could be organised???a county with money like cork.

Ard scoil had a bus from limerick to to mallow ,for a challenge match 5 wks ago against cork minors.
    That was an hour trip each way.Some in Cork had a hour and 40 journey at least each way ,yet parents etc had to make that trip at there own expense.
    Blarney played Castletroy wednesday ,and had a bus for there team ,for the 45 minute each way trip to chareville .

I saw the same last year,cork u17s in mallow getting in to cars in to travel,no bus for them.In this day and age ,they should have transport provided,as it gets lads used to it for bigger days down the line and is good for team bonding and morale etc.

Players and familes make enough sacfries for the game is it is,they should be supported.Yes they do it for the love of the Game,but these are the toughest times in ecomic history for Ireland,people shouldnt be out of expense for it ,and espiceally when Cork are very profitable .

Leitrim beat Galway in the u21 football,the champions are out .I expected Roscommon to beat galway and win it,i never thought Galway would be beaten today,i expect roscommon to win Connaught and play Cork if we win Munster on the 9th of April.The minor Hurling 1st round games limerick v tipp in the gaelic grounds moves from the 9th to the10th of April.
    Minors flying at the moment,beat wexford by around 20 points recently,i was told,i wasnt at the game,it was the same night as Cork v kerry u21 football.

Ben and Jerry O connor are unlikely to play with newtown this year ,at senior or  junior.Two great servants for Club and County ,retired ,in all likelhood.

Ger cunnigham of ul and laois senior hurling is with adare ,and with shane fitzgibbon there i would fancy them as real contenders for the County in Limerick .

A county with money like Cork. Dont you know that every bob is needed for the new " white elephant". And the players are treated in a totally amateurish shabby way. From top to bottom. Have u ever seen the tickets that the former players get. Soon after Ray Cummins had retired i renember seeing him out in the corner of the stand in Pairc ui Chaoimh watching cork v kerry in a munster football final with the rain lashing down on top of them. It hasnt changed in 30 years. And its no wonder that many of those former players dont want to get involved with the younger groups. Treat the players with respect and things change.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

I know the redevelopment of Páirc Uí Chaoimh is viewed with disdain on this forum, and I'm not sure I fully agree with its development, but does anyone feel that it does need to be improved? It's probably just a question of scale, and maybe it doesn't need 67m to be spent, but it hasn't aged well. I think we'd all be delighted with more leg room

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭zetecescort

Needs to be knocked no doubt but there are enough white elephants in the country. Would only be full for Cork v Kerry every second year and games against Limerick or Tipp as the draw dictates. Would host the odd Munster final too but not a great return on €67 million.

If facilities could be upgrade while keeping the bowl shape would be ideal IMO, best terraces in the country, stands need legroom but great view from almost any seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

Needs to be knocked no doubt but there are enough white elephants in the country. Would only be full for Cork v Kerry every second year and games against Limerick or Tipp as the draw dictates. Would host the odd Munster final too but not a great return on €67 million.

If facilities could be upgrade while keeping the bowl shape would be ideal IMO, best terraces in the country, stands need legroom but great view from almost any seat.
    It's a big investment alright, but I suppose you'd have to consider other events also that would help to repay the investment. The Páirc has hosted concerts and could attract more in the future. Also, it could be used as part of a future Rugby world cup, so could be leased out to the IRFU. And who knows, maybe even the European Championships in soccer when they bring in their new system for hosting the games.

But, no matter what you do, it will take a long time to get back that 67 million!

rughug wrote: »
    A county with money like Cork. Dont you know that every bob is needed for the new " white elephant". And the players are treated in a totally amateurish shabby way. From top to bottom. Have u ever seen the tickets that the former players get. Soon after Ray Cummins had retired i renember seeing him out in the corner of the stand in Pairc ui Chaoimh watching cork v kerry in a munster football final with the rain lashing down on top of them. It hasnt changed in 30 years. And its no wonder that many of those former players dont want to get involved with the younger groups. Treat the players with respect and things change.

Id agree with all that

Our underage squads are treated woefully in compared to limerick,clare etc yet a media spin is put on the great work of rebel og.

Its only partly funded and doing all it can with limited funding.Needs more.

A lot of work is reliant on the supeqb voluunteers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

I know the Cork U16 keeper Barry Kenneally well, superb keeper. Has one of the longest puckouts I've seen from a boy his age. He's been the trying to do the Nash penalty too. I've no doubt he will play for Cork when he's older

yomtea98 wrote: »
    I know the Cork U16 keeper Barry Kenneally well, superb keeper. Has one of the longest puckouts I've seen from a boy his age. He's been the trying to do the Nash penalty too. I've no doubt he will play for Cork when he's older

Made one superb save and great under the high ball

Looney was good though.

Very hard to get on the cork team,ahead of nash,thdn mccarthy,patrick collions,declan dalton and evan o connell.

All top keepers ,they all wont play senior.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

Made one superb save and great under the high ball

Looney was good though.

Very hard to get on the cork team,ahead of nash,thdn mccarthy,patrick collions,declan dalton and evan o connell.

All top keepers ,they all wont play senior.
    That's the problem with goalkeepers. There only one spot and it's theirs until they make a mistake, get injured or retired.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

We seem to have an abundance of good goalkeepers in Cork. There's a lot of them dont even end up playing for their own club's first team. CIT's fitzgibbon goalkeeper was from Courcey Rovers and the subkeeper was also Courcey. Matthew Collins, (older brother of Patrick) never got a look in for Ballinhassig unless Coleman went outfield and now plays in Dublin. Cloyne had that youngfella Reilly who played Cork Vocs but stopped hurling with Cusack ahead of him. Darren McCarthy apart from Cork training doesnt play in goals from March to October, and im not sure if he's gonna be in UCC in october so that might not even be the case. I imagine Nash will be around for Kanturk for another 7 or 8 years, by which time that youngfella will be 24.

Guiney burned Mcdonnell,jesus c***t how many games does it take for the penney to drop.Hes in the horrors at full back.I said this would happen .Its a joke.A great player asked to a job he cant do.

Got to be moved out of there fast.

Cork promoted

A Job well done today in the end.
    They got the tactics spot on in fairness ,today and credit to all ,and made the changes with 20 to go when we were in trouble.

Match Report to follow later ,but Seamus Harnedy take a bow ,what a player ,i just knew he was a Star born in June,ist debut ,Im rarely wrong with a player .
    I was also spot on,in regards Mcdonnell when white who was awful was taken off,he was superb at half back ,when cahalane gave us that Physical presence for guiney ,and cadogan should have started ,insead of Bud.

Thank f*ck were out of this division,its awful .

I was spot on with my permutations last week bar a draw with clare and galway -
    Cork play Tippeary,a toss for home venue ,thurles be great even
    Kilkenny play wexford
    Clare play laois away
    Galway play limerick in limerick
    We beat tipp we play clare in a semi

Limerick will beat galway and it be limerick v kilkenny

Our game with tipp be close go either way

I said it last week dublin wont do much this year there not good you take dubs out dublin or croke park not suit them like parnell park

Daly is a good coach but he has out grown them

Waterford v dubs relagated play off

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭webels

Cork promoted

They got the tactics spot on in fairness ,today and credit to all ,and made the changes with 20 to go when we were in trouble.

Match Report to follow later ,but Seamus Harnedy take a bow ,what a player ,i just knew he was a Star born in June,ist debut ,Im rarely wrong with a player .
    I was also spot on,in regards Mcdonnell when white who was awful was taken off,he was superb at half back ,when cahalane gave us that Physical presence for guiney ,and cadogan should have started ,insead of Bud.

Kilkenny play wexford
    Clare play laois away

Yes well done to all corks 103 suggesting tipp might play us in cork, that they owe us. Thurles would be great though. Kearney, lehane and of course the wonderful harnedy all done well. Haughney and cahalane made significant dirrerence when they came on. Looking forward to full match report ttm1.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

Another 21 yard free goal for Horgan. Have we ditched the whole bringing Nash up the field to take them scenario?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,883 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Connorzee wrote: »
    Another 21 yard free goal for Horgan. Have we ditched the whole bringing Nash up the field to take them scenario?

We haven't ditched it, we are just going to use it in All Ireland finals;)

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

Cork promoted

Kilkenny play wexford
    Clare play laois away
    We beat tipp we play clare in a semi

Limerick will beat galway and it be limerick v kilkenny

Our game with tipp be close go either way

I said it last week dublin wont do much this year there not good you take dubs out dublin or croke park not suit them like parnell park

Daly is a good coach but he has out grown them

Bit too early to judge how Dublin will do this year

Round 5 - Sunday March 23rd, 2014

Tipperary(2pts -13 points difference )vs.Dublin 4 pts (-7)
    Semple Stadium, Thurles

Kilkenny(4pts +5) vs.Waterford (4pts-7)
    Nowlan Park

Clare (6pts + 15 vs.Galway(4pts +7)
    Cusack Park, Ennis

Quarter Final A - Sunday March 30th, 2014
    Allianz Hurling League Roinn 1 2014 Quarter Final ATop Placed Team 1A vs.4th Placed Team 1B

Quarter Final B
    2nd Placed Team 1A vs.3rd Placed Team 1B

Quarter Final C 3rd Placed Team 1A vs.2nd Placed Team 1B

Quarter Final D
    4th Placed Team 1A vs.Top Placed Team 1B

HOME ADVANTAGE
    Quater Finals will be on a home and away basis. That’ll be decided as follows: Where a team who has had two home games in the regular season draws a team who has had 3 home games in the regular season, home venue goes to team who has had only two home games in the regular season.

Where two teams who have had two home games play each other, or where two teams who have had three home games play each other, a toss for home advantage will take place. The four quarter-final winners will advance to the semi-finals at neutral venues.

Semi Final - Sunday April 20th, 2014
    Quarter Final A Winner vs.Quarter Final D Winner

Semi Final :Quarter Final B Winner vs.Quarter Final C Winner

League Final - Sunday May 4th, 2014

3 weeks later v Waterford Thurles Munster 1st Round 26th March

The permuations in div 1a are like how long is a piece of string ,or picking stones in a field,impossible to do it 100 per cent

What you could say is clare maybee may be up for it at home,its a derby game win that and there top team ,and likey to play laois in a quater final .Clare may have a want to beat galway then gear training in a weak lead up to laois as they would beat them in 25 minutes.

Laois are likely to be 4th in div 1b.That means its very likely Clare are our Semi final opponents if we get there and im glad.I want them.

Now if we beat wexford we play 4th in div 1A.
    Who that is is is

Could if results and they have went to home teams majority league stick to the status quo.

Clare,kilkenny i would say at home to win.
    I would expect waterford to be relegated and as poor as tipp are i think dublin outside of a small ptich are quite beatable and i think have pace and dublin suit them ,should win.They beat them by plus 4, and thats doable ,they will overtake Dublin and with waterford beaten there in a fight of with galway for 3 or 4th.Yes if galways get hammered they could drop out .

And we dont know which galway will come to clare (how intense are clare going to be and the same with galway)but as long as there not hammered ,(14 plus headstart on dublin )they would get that 3rd or 4th spot,with dublin and waterford in a relegation play off.

So cork would have galway or tipp,two teams i wouldnt fear as they play hurling.Of course one resuit throws the permuations out the window ,but i said id have a go .

The problem with cork is the quater final our ist real game ,is the same day we play tyrone in a Must win game,now the real fun starts with the dual code,what happens they toss for cahalane ,cads or walsh .

I was close enough said it be galway or tipp we play

The draw today galway and clare i was wrong but it didnt affect the permuation.

Tippeary are beatable and it will suit cork but make no mistake tipp can beat us as we conceded close to1-20 to wexford at home

Should be a game of open hurling ,and high scoring,15 v 15 but i dont believe its what either team need,as i want a sweeper.

Its vital we win and play clare.There the real test of us .They will test us where we at .
    Tippeary had a good win but i expected that,wouldnt think tipp do much this year in the all ireland.
    Clare is our aim.

A double header be nice but part of me want tipp in thurles.We love thurles ,and gets our lad out of the comfort zone of cork and considering we have waterford in thurles and if we win clare in thurles ,its better the young lads get as much exposure in thurles so i want to be drawn away to tipp tommorrow

I was wrong limerick v galway isnt at gaelic grounds they toss for h6e venue ,like clare and laois and us and tipp

Kilkenny have wexford at home,they will anhilate wexford.
    Galway if is in galway have a good chance but limerick wont be beaten at home i feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Horse84

I'll make it short and sweet, Harnedy=warrior, hero, leader.
    White is awful, simply not up to this level and never will be. Not even a squad player for me.
    Alan cadogan puts the impact in impact sub, offers far far more than bud hartnett. Looks hungry and very abrasive, great to see.
    Cronin did ok today but he just doesn't have the mobility for modern mid field player, will not do come summer.
    We need a full back and in this league we still haven't found one.
    Delighted we got promoted. I don't want to see 1b again for a long long time.

• Advertisement

Horse84 wrote: »
    I'll make it short and sweet, Harnedy=warrior, hero, leader.
    White is awful, simply not up to this level and never will be. Not even a squad player for me.
    Alan cadogan puts the impact in impact sub, offers far far more than bud hartnett. Looks hungry and very abrasive, great to see.
    Cronin did ok today but he just doesn't have the mobility for modern mid field player, will not do come summer.
    We need a full back and in this league we still haven't found one.
    Delighted we got promoted. I don't want to see 1b again for a long long time.

I have grown to greatly admire your posts horse-love that winning and second best is nothing.

Awesome tribute to harnedy.
    To me is Cork Jesus Christ of huring.
    Jesus had 12 disciples,today Harnedy had 12 disciples as he led this team back from the death,and he was injured also.Cork had 3 passengers today.White,bud,and cronin out of poisition.

A better report match later.Must watch waterford v cats dub v tipp now.

We have a full back were just not playing the lad ,Eoin keane.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement