Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭sean mac

Job done - promotion secured. BUT big big trouble ahead in defence especially the half back line. None of the players selected in these positions so far could be counted onto produce dominant top class displays consistently. The recurrence of cadogans ankle injury is bad news as he looked decent in the offaly game. Imo joyce hasn't stepped up at all this year and has actually gone back a bit. Trying ellis or white is not the answer, 1 is too slow the other is not good enough at this level and was very poor today.
    Egan will be guaranteed to start and while excellent sometimes, very quiet and subdued other days.
    Mcloughlin will be going back to midfield especially if kearneys form doesn't pick up.
    The positives - some superb forwards: harnedy, hoirgan and lehane are as good as whats out there. Cadogan is shaping up very well, while hopefully paidi is on the way back.
    Don't think Hartnett offers much at this level, Moylan, Coughlan will add something when selected. Tough day at the office for brian Lawton.
    Lots for jbm to ponder, up front we are well served, but the half back and the little issue of the full back position remain causes for concern

• Registered Users Posts: 28 havent got a kalou

Made one superb save and great under the high ball

Looney was good though.

Very hard to get on the cork team,ahead of nash,thdn mccarthy,patrick collions,declan dalton and evan o connell.

All top keepers ,they all wont play senior.

A good minor choice next year as well you also have Ger Collins a great keeper

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Saw the short clip of the Cork V Wexford game earlier.
    Credit to the groundskeepers, the pitch looked absolutely immaculate for March. Is the surface always that good. Looked perfect for hurling,

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭sean mac

Hidalgo wrote: »
    Saw the short clip of the Cork V Wexford game earlier.
    Credit to the groundskeepers, the pitch looked absolutely immaculate for March. Is the surface always that good. Looked perfect for hurling,

the pitch in flower lodge as it was in the old days was the best in the country and it has been maintained to that high level, always in good condition. Was at the double header a few weeks ago vs derry & offaly and the pitch considering the time of year, weather etc was superb also. Would like that cork play all their league games there

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,883 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

sean mac wrote: »
    the pitch in flower lodge as it was in the old days was the best in the country and it has been maintained to that high level, always in good condition. Was at the double header a few weeks ago vs derry & offaly and the pitch considering the time of year, weather etc was superb also. Would like that cork play all their league games there

I remember King Kenny commenting on how excellent the surface was after Liverpool played a game there 20 odd years ago as well - super surface.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Cork won 2-24 to wexford 1-20
    Great to get promoted and looks lets call a spade a spade ,a dump of divison with respect to most teams ,and It wont do Limerick and possibly Dublin much help next year.

In realtion the poster is it too early to dismiss Dublin as serious title cmtenders???were in April more or less,and the Reality is the clocks going forward is not the only thing,teams are upping intensity and today was a Must win for Dublin ,and they were beaten and could have by more(just watched it)by a good ,but not by means great tipp team today .Dublin have outgrown Daly,im a fan of him but he Wont get that 20 per cent improvement they need to win an All Ireland.

They need a fresh voice .They beat A tired kilkenny so did Cork ,waterford drew with the cats ,they havent been able to beat top teams in Croke park(not parnell park)regulary .They were blown away by Kilkenny in croke park in the walsh cup.Yeah they beat kk,but kilkenny were missing a few .

They wont come within 5 points of kk this year,in fact wexford at home ,could and i wouldnt be suprised beat them in the championship.Im not sure what you regard as a good season,i tend to gauge success Purely regards all ireland titles and dublin havent a hope of winning it this year .Have some fine hurlers,but lack real pace ,and Sheedy i said last august was the man to bring them forward .Its going to end in tears for Daly .In fact the so called experts ,on the radio give waterford no chance next week to Dublin and say Dublin are just going to turn up.They need to wake up ,Dublin are a shell of the team away from home than at home.

Waterford were beaten badly again today  and like last week have problems but they had to go the two best teams in the Country at present and ,after last week was a huge uphill task today,against two most ruthless managers ,in the country.There backs are to the wall,waterford are a work in progress,at home ,a huge crowd ,and i fancy them to win.Walsh park is a fortess.

Dublin were haunted didnt have to go go walsh park or ennis ,and clare didnt give a brass monkeys regards dublin away .If dublin went to ennis or knowlan park they would have beaten easily.Waterford,it could go to extra time,but i fancy them ,to beat Dublin,waterford have a lot of natural talent.

Now on to the most important game,the Rebels against the Model county ,known also as the yellow bellies.Nothing yellow or cowardly about there team ,though ,they have huge courage,grit and resilence, and very fit and athletic and never know when they are beaten and are credit to Dunne ,they are limited though,but were damn lucky they have the poorest goalie out of the top 8 teams at present and as Dublin will find out in the summer,Wexford Park would have been a different story for us.

Today was great in we got promoted.Today every County board member,club men ,players you name it,must take a vow of oath that we will never be in this league division again .

We got a performance to an extent and while some are fuming in cork by our over elaboration ,and short stick passing,kearney playing too deep,and not going long all the time,i Always See the bigger picture,when it Comes to Cork Hurling ,and for that reason with Most ,not all of what i Saw today ,im very happy .

Why is that Thinkstoomuch ???simply beacause as last year and this year showed we wont beat a sweeper system if we go long,and we had no plan b.

Today and thank the lord,we did do a lot of short stick passing,and puckouts,and played a very short game .Yes we gave away a lot of scores at times but look what we created and we drew wexford out as there half forward line that had parked the bus around the middle third had to push up On our backs ,and thus we had space for the forwards ,and then we bypassed the middle at times .

What let cork down was the execution ,and the sharpness combined by a full back that wouldnt be good enough for the Cork u16 team ,and White who is too slow ,and with respect gives me the view ,he spends more time in the gym doing weights  than a ball alley.Jbm always said he wanted hurlers.What the jesus is white doing here.I wouldnt start him for the Cork intermediate team in all honesty.

People before they dismiss the short passing and Nash puckouts and our sweeper  (not a full sweeper.but kearney playing deep must Remembeber ,cork in four league games so far havent played that style today before and as clare showed it Wont happen in one game,or be refined yet.Cork ,like limerick are doing need to stick with the short game,and it will take at least 4 if not more games to perfect it.That takes time ,and must be done in training,then games.

Today was a work in progress ,in that style ,and as it said in feburary that we should have started the evoloution then,as we had 3 games that we pissed away by not going short.We have to start somewhere,load of work to do ,to refine the game ,but Today thank lord we showed intent and credit due to Jbm ,a Real acceptance and intent to  go Short,mix up the game plan,and have a plan B.

We must continue that against tipp,if we win we have clare ,and then even if loose which we would to Clare in the semi final at least thats 3 games perfecting it .Waterford in in May ,would be a 4th game ,and if we win ,then that were going in to Clare ,in a good place .

Folks most realise that short game is the only way realiscally to beat the sweeper.So while it is frustrating when its overdone,and poorly excecuted ,Clare remember were heavily criticised in league and championship last year for over doing it ,but the key is they got better with each game,compared to Cork going long time and again and running in to Cul De Sacs .

At long last,i saw real hope ,in we have an intent and Real desire to go short and ,we have a sense of direction and not  doom and gloom despeartion ,in doing the tried and failed.CORK have lots of work to do in training but must Perist and have Patience with the new game plan.We have the players to play it.

What we must do is pick the best 15,wake up ,and play keane at 3, and get rid of the deadwood on the panel ,with respect to the players ,Bud,white,cian mac ,Ellis ,have to be cut from the panel.How can you have real intensity in a v b training games when you have sub standard players like those 4 there.
    There hardly the 4 muskateers in fairness in regards hurling .

And dont give me the rubbish there the best Cork have .
    We carried passengers last year that i said all year long ,in Naughton and cussen and white ,and we paid the price,we couldnt play cussen bar when we were desparate against limerick and had no other men to bring on,Naughton was like cussen,in some media quarters way overhyped .

Naugthon couldnt do it with a golden chance to level in the replay,when you think of Coughlan warming hes hole on the bench.
    Once bitten twice shy Jbm.Cody has learned from last years mistakes,Jbm must also,and the two main ones ,are we must have a full back and not carry passengers on the panel.
    The other key aera is to evolve the game plan,like i said earlier today showed signs of that starting.

Nash-superb save ,the puckouts were a mixed baa ,but must keep the short puckous.Great to hear at last ,Nash motion put back to next year and the whingers and begruders cant say much for a year now .Great to give the man a break with free taking,teams cant stop or work a way to counter him if he isnt doing it.Hes doing it in training the whole time -and its good he is being held in reserve til championship ,or maybee a league game ,but pick and choose the games.

O neill-superb ,man of the match outside of kearney.Awesome display,if played at 2,an all star.

Mcdonnell-awful,truly  absymal,woeful, at 3, blameless as Management 100 per cent to blame for Constanly picking a lad 3 years in at there .Guiney destroyed him for the goal.I said it here during the week he would be roasted.Guiney is good,nothing special got 1-2 of maccie.Jack sheehan held guiney in ul v ucd as he defends,stands tall and ,defends the goal and aera ,ist and first foremost ,and uses hes body well.

Mcdonnell has not he mindset for full back.Okay let me gate real here and put this to bed once and for all.
    Mcdonnell won a ball low along the ground in the ist half ,he managed to race out ahead of Guiney .He was so fast he tore at pace ,broke two tackles ,got to midfield ,them he lost the ball.That im not bothered with.

In that cameo he showed why he is a half back or corner and not a full back .
    He showed huge pace and is a forceful runner ,and would be ideal at half back or midfield for cork .It showed hes instinct for a half back and why he has wrong mindset for 3,.A full back would not ran as far mcdonnell and left the square unattened ,by going so far up the field.Wexford tried to expoit maccie being out of poisition ,but the ball in to guiney free ,was poor.Cork only got away with it ,as it was down to poor wexford exceution.

Would the Rock???lohan???riche mac???kelly ,hickey the great full backs go that far up the field.No way .The rock knocked and floored 3 cats in 2003,and charged out of hes aera at pace in the all ireland final,crucially he then let the ball do the work and hit it long.He didnt go on a run past hes 45 metre line.Mcdonnell would as proven in the replayed final at half back be ideal for the possesion game ,as he can break tackles.He was super at half back when he went in there.

If he starts there against Callian ,i dont rate him in championship,when the need is greatesest ,but in the league he is a serious operator ,so far he has scored 4-32 in 59 games,4-13 from play and he will destroy ,i mean destroy Mcdonnell at 3, and could get at least two goals.Is that exreme??no its a realistic view.Callinan has blinding pace,temparment is hes doubt i have.

Everbody says keane hasnt the pace for 3,now Sunday is an ideal test of that.In a league game unlike championship ,Callian will turn up.So play keane .Yes he could have an issue with pace,but i have a belief keane has the reading,understanding and hurling,stands tall and is physical to do a job against Callian.My judegement of players ,its fair to say im a shrewd judge and seldom wrong.
    I put my judement on the line,i think keane would do a job .Spillane is injured ,be my next option .
    Cahalane done good when he came on,similar to Downes u21 2011,he relished the physicality of Guiney .

But Cahalane is going to be a dual player.No good to us.Next week we have tyryone and tipp the same day.The league has shown the impossibity of the dual code,the championship will be harder to do .
    Cahalane isnt as good under the high ball ,as keane,and against Galway in Cork 2012 part of a double header was poor at 3.Keane must be furious ,two good teams,training all year ,superb cit ,yet he doesnt start to a man that has been exposed in the past at 3,then to rub salt in the wound ,a man that has little training done gets time as a sub ahead of him .

Murphy-poor start ,grew in to the game .Burke should start the next day ,superb corner back ,u21 this year,played at centre back challenge ,v clare ,is fast and tenacious.

Lorchan-slow start,was very good,and hurled a lot of ball

Joyce -half back line was under huge pressure due to cronin inability to track hes man back ,and thus when like clare last year ran at us ,the half back line was too open .
    And white was awful so again how the jesus joyce can command when he has to baby sit  white is hard to do ,and i was suprised we didnt dominate as we should have ,but still joyce was solid and had a good last 20

White-too slow,indecisive,cant read a game,is way of hes man and the 1st  touch is poor .Expect ,depending who does the report in the papers(some good writers there)could get an 8 in rating.I would struggle to give him a 5.

Lads he tries hard ,and commitment i aplaud but he is poor ,i mean poor,in comparison to gavin o mahony,maher,o brien,holden,bulger etc
    Nagle is better,or mick walsh of Kildorrey ,mcdonnell etc
    Egan to start next week.
    Mcgrath,forde ,Bubbles would destroy him next week .

Kearney very good,great work ethic ,was great in a deep role.

Cronin-awesome under the aerial ball,and worked hard.Hurling isnt sharp but in time that will get there.
    Was poor in tracking hes man ,and hadnt the pace to do it ,and cork had problems that started here .
    Was much better when he went in to half forward etc.Simply wont do at midfield,and No Way will lorchan do at here either.How many games as lorchan played poorly there.A decent average midfield wont win you all irelands.It must be good.
    People,i mean with no dissrespect , must wake up,lorchan would be destroyed by walsh,ryan,buckley ,rice ,galvin,browne,moran etc .O shea,sullivan must get games them mcdonnell if needs be.A dissaster if Lorchan or Cronin plays with kearney .Simply ,has had too many poor games with the odd good one.A super half back though.

Lawton-poor ,didnt work today and sullivan has to start the next day.

Harnedy was awesome-5 points won a lot of clean ball ,6 clean catches at least,led the attack,vocally encouraging the lads around him.Has it all ,hurling,balls,attuide,hunger,desire,hurl both sides,hands like a vice grip under the high ball ,pace,tathlecism,agiltiy ,leadership,spatial awararness ,and Real ,Real bravery and Hurling intelligance.

Could had a goal and 9,no way will he suffer 2nd season syndrome ,as the Rock said attuide comes from within.

He is the Paul O connell,peter o mahony ,of Cork hurling,the brian o driscoll ,evesyGame Means Something ,he knows the cork jersey means a lot ,and what and who he represents .
    He is our Cu chuclainn,our Brave heart,and i said it june ,ist game,tomas mul ,timmymac and niall mac rolled in to one.
    He could turn water in to wine.Am i getting carried away d??
    No,as i said this in june ,and advocated it every game since.
    A future captain of Cork .
    Will be up there with the Greats,the real greats of Cork hurling and in general.At least two more all stars he will win barring injury .
    In every game ,bar one league game has got a mininum 2 points per game he plays.Tipp have a diamond in Bonner maher.Harnedy is everything and much more.Harnedy has scoring and hurling finese.
    Take a bow ,take a bow what a player ,what a insirpation and Harnedy is everything thats great about cork.Shy unassuming of the field,a Roy Keane ,type player on it.Took sum punishment of wexford,unfairly ,but relished it .One of the few cork lads that would walk on the clare or kilkenny team.

Bud shouldnt started.one great point,few flashy touches ,flattered to decieve .Made two great runs but then hadnt the guile or poise for and end product.Went missing,didnt show a hunger or a desire to
    win dirty ball.Has the hurling,worth j**ck **** unless he has the steel and resovle to win ball.
    Cadogan should have started,and jbm made a woeful error in picking him over ,Alan ,in that cadogan done more,3 points ,made two points in 20 minutes ,where bud had a point in 50 minutes.

Bud ,if he had the grit of hes brother ex cork man kevin ,would be a superb hurler .Cadogan is as light ,as Bud ,but harder.That lad i advocated all year had to start.
    The lad has the touch,pace,hurling resolve but Most of all has attuide and must start against Tipp and someday will cut loose and get a big score -2-4 or 1-5.
    I can sense it ,i can smell it in the air.

HorGan awesome ,a real real leader,shoe in for an all star if he keeps form.As i said ,would go to centre forward and he was a different test of Le chin and got 3 super points,and while chin played well ,horgan kept the man from dominating.
    He has clearly worked with Nash on hes free taking .as that 2nd goal from a free,not like the horgan of 2012 who couldnt buy a goal from a placed ball.Hes techingue is much better,throws the ball up a yard higher and getting more power behind it ,but crucially unlike before is going for accuracy ,and not power alone.

Great display from play and placed balls,a wonderful display .

Moylan was poor today,i expect a lot more from the lad .
    Coughlan isn a corner forward in truth but should get a run as a sub even,as Luke is injured and Pauide not likely to be back at all for Cork this year.

Lehane,3 great points,much better when hes moves out of the full forward line.Okay got a goal inside,but that wasnt lehane brillance,it was down to poor goal keeping.Much more in him,must start and stay at half forward .

Tipp is a game we must win next week.They are getting goals.9 in 5 games against top teams where we have got just 3 in 5 against poor teams ,2 frees .Were not creating many chances ,and today the third goal was a mistake by fanning when cronin shot hit of the leg of a wexford back after the mistake ,and luckly ,lehane got it in .

But we Must start creating and getting goals.Cats have got 14 goals in 5 games against top teams,clare 10 against 5 top teams and they have expieremented with there teams also,the primary reasm expiermenation isnt affecting them as much as us ,is unlike cork who try ellis,white,hartnett etc ,that arent near intercounty level or showed us any reasons that they could or eve had a chance to get there ,Clare and kilkenny are trying players that have realistic chances of starting or at the very least making the panel .

Tippeary are leaking goals 12 in 5 games ,with cahill at half back ,and o mahony suspect at 3 ,we have goals in us but you must pick the best team thursday night to give you strong chance of winning.
    It should be 15 v 15 orthdox game,that suit both teams and managers.

Tippeary with Mcgrath,Maher,Ronan maher a super young talent,Dwyer ,mcgrath ,forde,cahill ,callinan wont be a easy game,and it wont be tactics dominated and it suits Tippereary ,and Tipp always had superb hurlers,and with Egan ,a super goalie,i said and maintain the real danger to Nash getting another all star ,shoring up the back ,Cork have to be sharp when the goal chances come .
    Egan was superb for tipp today and got the crucial point against Cork in 2007 1 point qualifer win in that qualifer in saturday eveing as a forward  at senior ,he could be our greatest danger at the oppoiste end of the field Sunday .

The team i pick wouldnt be the team for Clare exactly but a horses for courses selection ,and a team that can play the short  possesion game and the long game.

I pick this team on the basis everyone is fit and cahalane ,cadogan and walsh stay with the footballers

Nash
    O neill
    Keane
    Mcdonnell (egan hs not fit,burke)
    Mcloughlin
    Joyce
    Egan(mcdonnell if hes not fit)
    Kearney
    O shea(haughney had a nice point and would be suited like Hartnett in this game,but i dont see them as champinship starters so why start them)
    Sullivan -he would limit maher and has the aggression for him
    Harnedy
    Couglan -fast tempo game we need hes pace,and has hurling and aggression to match it
    Cadogan
    Cronin
    Horgan

• Registered Users Posts: 28 havent got a kalou

Cork u16 hurlers A team beat Limerick A team 2-17 to 2-10 in the astro turf ,ul North Campus ptich.
    Both the A and B games had 3 x 20 minutes -and Diarmuid O Sullivan was with them,while Noel Hartigan,and Jerry Wallis ,that great cork coach,with Limerick teams.Limerick A team was mainly made up of the city east and west divisions.Wallis is some coach and the work he is putting to Limerick from u14 to 18 is phenomal and he is a huge huge credit to himself and Limerick County Board ,and Cork should have done everything possible to keep him involved with Cork at some Intercounty level.

Not Limerick strongest teams by any means ,as they had a few lads with the Ard Scoil panel and Doon today and Pallas also .
    But a good test for Cork all the same

It was level at 4-4 apiece ,at the end of the 1st period  then the 2nd period Cork lead 1-11 to 2-5  (winning that half, 1-7 to 2-1 )and then in the last 20 minute period won 1-6 to 0-5 points winning the match 2:-17 to 2-10 with Tristan O Leary Sars and Daniel Gunning getting a superb goal,brother of Eddie ,a Cork minor,the Na Piasaigh Lad was very good at centre forward.

Cork U 16 Hurling A Team that started

Barry Kenneally-kanturk,got a run as did Colin Looney Sarsfields.Both were very good,Kennellys shows what Nash has done,in that every lad in kanturk would want to be a keeper now.
    Robert Bourke Ballincollig
    Paddy Gleasson  Eire Og
    Darragh Guiney Newtwonshandrum
    Kevin Murphy St Itas
    Conor Murphy Blarney
    Niall O Leary Castletlyons
    Aaron CollinsWatergrasshill
    Stephen Condon Glanworth
    Gearoid O Donughe Ballincollig
    Daniel Gunning Na Piarsaigh
    Tadhg Deasy Blackrock
    Tristan O Leary Sarsfields
    Kieran Cashman Lisgoold
    Jack O Connor Sarsfields

Lads like Jack Ryan Sliabh Rua,Shane O Driscoll Sarsfields,Niall Murphy etc,all got game time also.

They all played well but the stand out players for Cork would have to be Darragh Guiney(a half back at club)superb in the right corner back poistion.I mentioned the lad before as a talent he can hurl left and right,and very fast and leads from the back,always attacks the ball.

Robert Bourke was very good,he just won a u15  football premier title last week , along with hes Clubman Gearoid O Donoughe and teamate who got 4 points against Glamire in that final ,both were impressive today.

Conor Murphy and Kevin Murphy hurled a lot of ball with ,Tristan O Leary ,Tadhg Deasy ,and Gunning very good up front.Cashaman at 14,very strong and tall won a lot of ball,and Jack O Connor who is in great form at club level with sars,got some great points.
    Cork were missing lads with Midelton next week ,in the All Ireland final ,the likes of
    Jack McDonnell  ,Josh Beausang
    ,Killian Treacy  and ,Garan Manley,shows the strength of them at u16 and they will shake the u16 Arrabawn tournament in Autumn.

The Cork U16 Hurling B Team lost 1-17 to10.
    At the end of the Ist half it was 1-7 to 4 in favour of limerick then 1-11 to 8 at the 2nd period (drew that half 4 apiece ,and Limerick won the last half 0-6 to 02.

The B team gave there all,couldnt fault any one for there effort just one of those days,and they will learn from it.Michael John Shine Blarney ,Killian Ahern Na Piarsaigh,Adam O Sullivan Kilshannig and Ronan Harrington Passage Were very good for them ,with Ahern scoring some nice points and with the likes of  him,Evan Connell,Dayne Lee,The Gunning lads ,they have good talented young hurlers coming through.

I feel Na Piarsaigh will be strong in the future,and thats good for Cork,as we need the city clubs to be prominent.
    One player that was very impressive was Ronan Harraington of Passage(that great club of the Great Justin Mccarthy and three goal Eddie,3 goals in the 1970 all ireland final ,a remarkable feat that held its own for 40 years.Made more legendery ,that he had a few Guinness the night before.).

This lad is a dual player , i belive .Today imo,he was the best of the midfielders on show ,of all the 4 teams.Strong on the ball,hurler that is just as strong on both sides,was always on the ball.
    Lads at this age group,its always hard to say who may or not make the next grade etc,for various reasons but it will be interesting to watch them develop as all the players today are talented hurlers.

They will get better under the guidance of the Rock.Ist time saw him in action,extremelmy impressed by hes organistion,hes shrewdness and hes calm composure on the line.
    Early yet ,im normally seldom wrong with managers in my judgement,my view is the Rock will be okay .

In relation to the comment regards Hamilton never again doing well in the Harty and they should be almagated more or less,thats  dissrespectful to Hamilton and makes me actually think that people with that view don't have the remote understanding of the level of work gone in to the school ,and that is still going in by Crowley for example ,a harty winner himself with Franferris and also managed Carbery to a Senior County in 94,
    at hurling in the school.

Hamilton people must realise and many do,that they had a 16 year absence from the Harty cup 95 to 2012.Won a Kinnane Cup ,in 2011, then held there own in the 1st year back in the group stages,ran the top teams to 3 or 4 points and Michael cahalane was injured for a few of them and absent for one i think.

They werent give much chance,a hope in hell even by me to get out the group  so soon this year ,as they had a tough group,but they beat de la salle,flannans ,and then had to play Dungarvan with 7 of the 2013 croke team winners ,with Kevin Daly the waterford captain and curran and donnelly ,in the quater final and by no means shamed to Ard scoil .

They in 3 years made huge progress,and what they need like other cork schools is help and funding from the board and more help coaching wise,.What they dont need is people with narrow minded views that are dissrespectful to what they produced ,in saying they will never be as good again  and knocking them down.Also that school has 3 cork minors,Jerry O Neill,Luke meade, chris o leary ,and had Michael Cahalane and Trevor Horgan dual minors last year with Michael macsweeney,that are u21 potential players in the future.

That school has been a predomintely football focused,so Hurling is takeing time but Must be continued as valley rover,bandon ,and newecstown etc have a huge talent base ,so joining with others,some talents would be lost  and not developed in the game.

Hamilton must be on its own ,as it gives west cork a real Idenity in Hurling.Bob ryan said that Hamilton ,should amalagamate in 2012 with our schools.This year success and the talents they have produced for cork intercounty shows they dont and shouldnt almagatmate and can Stand on its own two fee,it would be great if the board helped Hamilton with money to support coaching etc ,and increase the Gdos in west cork.

One point that i do agree with ,is that Rebel og must get more help and funding as compared to limerick and waterford they are barely scratching the surface.Limerick gets funding in the schoolr from the dublin branch of the limerick supporters club,local buisnesmen and the county board.There schools teams,Ard scoil are treated like professionals ,meals after games etc ,gyms you name it.
    Buses to and from matches.

Even today ,there A and b teams were well treated ,and they had food etc after.
    The Cork set up had nothing i believe,and the players had to make there own way to limerick by parents etc cars .Why not hire a bus for them .

They had a bus in kerry for the u17 lads today but no bus for the u16 team,and a lot of city lads and farther afield are with the panel .Surely a bus could be organised???a county with money like cork.

Ard scoil had a bus from limerick to to mallow ,for a challenge match 5 wks ago against cork minors.
    That was an hour trip each way.Some in Cork had a hour and 40 journey at least each way ,yet parents etc had to make that trip at there own expense.
    Blarney played Castletroy wednesday ,and had a bus for there team ,for the 45 minute each way trip to chareville .

I saw the same last year,cork u17s in mallow getting in to cars in to travel,no bus for them.In this day and age ,they should have transport provided,as it gets lads used to it for bigger days down the line and is good for team bonding and morale etc.

Players and familes make enough sacfries for the game is it is,they should be supported.Yes they do it for the love of the Game,but these are the toughest times in ecomic history for Ireland,people shouldnt be out of expense for it ,and espiceally when Cork are very profitable .

Leitrim beat Galway in the u21 football,the champions are out .I expected Roscommon to beat galway and win it,i never thought Galway would be beaten today,i expect roscommon to win Connaught and play Cork if we win Munster on the 9th of April.The minor Hurling 1st round games limerick v tipp in the gaelic grounds moves from the 9th to the10th of April.
    Minors flying at the moment,beat wexford by around 20 points recently,i was told,i wasnt at the game,it was the same night as Cork v kerry u21 football.

Ben and Jerry O connor are unlikely to play with newtown this year ,at senior or  junior.Two great servants for Club and County ,retired ,in all likelhood.

Ger cunnigham of ul and laois senior hurling is with adare ,and with shane fitzgibbon there i would fancy them as real contenders for the County in Limerick .

I was saying about a great choice of keepers next year for cork minors . But I looked at panels and Jesus you have serious forwards eg. Dunne Lonney etc

http://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling/hurling-regrets-linger-for-passionate-corkman-in-exile-30117022.html

A great read lads,10 years on and jesus we steel feel your loss Setanta.What player,what a man ,and what a hurler he would have been .My admiration for you and the halpins is just ,in awe what ,inspirations.

Aiskeake never got the credit he deserved.Lost 5 yearsof hurling,4 goalst in 9 champ starts ,if jbm had him than walsh wouldnt have left and would have improved.Imagine him working with Ger cunnighan,would have got another 15 per cent improvement.You see Aiseake had balls,attuide ,hunger ,was an athlete and was brave .When i seen some of the lad7 we have since ,that have played hurling and had no absence for 5 yearst! And there glorifed and the criticism the lad got is ironic.

Yes he had weak aeras and was no setanta but would have been useful to cork .

Yeah Kalou some forwards in the minor team,looney ,dunne and Michael o Halloran are eligble next 2 years and super talents ,looney is in dean ryan cup all ireland in Walsh park i hear this sat against kilkenny cbs the wknd .

He is the top scorer from play so far for them this year and got 3 goals ,crucial so far.That kilkenny team lost a challenge to limerick u16 2wks ago but had 4 missing.

Laois minors beat tipp in a challenge recently and got 3 goals so Limerick have goals in them .
    That loss could spur tipp on,as they have nothing to loose and as leitrim shocked galway in u21 football and carlow beat dublin last year ,and many more results ,underdog at minor is huge advantage and Limerick dont do favourtism or hype at any level,and there regarded as the best team since 84,are firm favourites at home.

Tipp werent that bad at u16 in 2015 and have hurlers that are good .
    Limerick schools got a lot of hype ,Ard scoil and justifably so ,but lost the wknd .
    I hear tipp are very quiet .And tipp wont fear limerick ,and Liam cahill doing a good job there.
    On paper .and imo i would say limerick to win but that game,and i will go it ,the night after cork game could be very close.

Throw in Kinery,hayes ,dolan ,Evan o connell,yeah we have a lot of forwards options.

I hear Paul Lepold isnt training with them ,he is training on hes own ,but should be okay and fit for june .He had a cruciate injury a while back.A very good hurler .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭slingerz

Cork won 2-24 to wexford 1-20
    Great to get promoted and looks lets call a spade a spade ,a dump of divison with respect to most teams ,and It wont do Limerick and possibly Dublin much help next year.

In realtion the poster is it too early to dismiss Dublin as serious title cmtenders???were in April more or less,and the Reality is the clocks going forward is not the only thing,teams are upping intensity and today was a Must win for Dublin ,and they were beaten and could have by more(just watched it)by a good ,but not by means great tipp team today .Dublin have outgrown Daly,im a fan of him but he Wont get that 20 per cent improvement they need to win an All Ireland.

They need a fresh voice .They beat A tired kilkenny so did Cork ,waterford drew with the cats ,they havent been able to beat top teams in Croke park(not parnell park)regulary .They were blown away by Kilkenny in croke park in the walsh cup.Yeah they beat kk,but kilkenny were missing a few .

They wont come within 5 points of kk this year,in fact wexford at home ,could and i wouldnt be suprised beat them in the championship.Im not sure what you regard as a good season,i tend to gauge success Purely regards all ireland titles and dublin havent a hope of winning it this year .Have some fine hurlers,but lack real pace ,and Sheedy i said last august was the man to bring them forward .Its going to end in tears for Daly .In fact the so called experts ,on the radio give waterford no chance next week to Dublin and say Dublin are just going to turn up.They need to wake up ,Dublin are a shell of the team away from home than at home.

Waterford were beaten badly again today  and like last week have problems but they had to go the two best teams in the Country at present and ,after last week was a huge uphill task today,against two most ruthless managers ,in the country.There backs are to the wall,waterford are a work in progress,at home ,a huge crowd ,and i fancy them to win.Walsh park is a fortess.

Dublin were haunted didnt have to go go walsh park or ennis ,and clare didnt give a brass monkeys regards dublin away .If dublin went to ennis or knowlan park they would have beaten easily.Waterford,it could go to extra time,but i fancy them ,to beat Dublin,waterford have a lot of natural talent.

Now on to the most important game,the Rebels against the Model county ,known also as the yellow bellies.Nothing yellow or cowardly about there team ,though ,they have huge courage,grit and resilence, and very fit and athletic and never know when they are beaten and are credit to Dunne ,they are limited though,but were damn lucky they have the poorest goalie out of the top 8 teams at present and as Dublin will find out in the summer,Wexford Park would have been a different story for us.

Today was great in we got promoted.Today every County board member,club men ,players you name it,must take a vow of oath that we will never be in this league division again .

We got a performance to an extent and while some are fuming in cork by our over elaboration ,and short stick passing,kearney playing too deep,and not going long all the time,i Always See the bigger picture,when it Comes to Cork Hurling ,and for that reason with Most ,not all of what i Saw today ,im very happy .

Why is that Thinkstoomuch ???simply beacause as last year and this year showed we wont beat a sweeper system if we go long,and we had no plan b.

Today and thank the lord,we did do a lot of short stick passing,and puckouts,and played a very short game .Yes we gave away a lot of scores at times but look what we created and we drew wexford out as there half forward line that had parked the bus around the middle third had to push up On our backs ,and thus we had space for the forwards ,and then we bypassed the middle at times .

What let cork down was the execution ,and the sharpness combined by a full back that wouldnt be good enough for the Cork u16 team ,and White who is too slow ,and with respect gives me the view ,he spends more time in the gym doing weights  than a ball alley.Jbm always said he wanted hurlers.What the jesus is white doing here.I wouldnt start him for the Cork intermediate team in all honesty.

People before they dismiss the short passing and Nash puckouts and our sweeper  (not a full sweeper.but kearney playing deep must Remembeber ,cork in four league games so far havent played that style today before and as clare showed it Wont happen in one game,or be refined yet.Cork ,like limerick are doing need to stick with the short game,and it will take at least 4 if not more games to perfect it.That takes time ,and must be done in training,then games.

Today was a work in progress ,in that style ,and as it said in feburary that we should have started the evoloution then,as we had 3 games that we pissed away by not going short.We have to start somewhere,load of work to do ,to refine the game ,but Today thank lord we showed intent and credit due to Jbm ,a Real acceptance and intent to  go Short,mix up the game plan,and have a plan B.

We must continue that against tipp,if we win we have clare ,and then even if loose which we would to Clare in the semi final at least thats 3 games perfecting it .Waterford in in May ,would be a 4th game ,and if we win ,then that were going in to Clare ,in a good place .

Folks most realise that short game is the only way realiscally to beat the sweeper.So while it is frustrating when its overdone,and poorly excecuted ,Clare remember were heavily criticised in league and championship last year for over doing it ,but the key is they got better with each game,compared to Cork going long time and again and running in to Cul De Sacs .

At long last,i saw real hope ,in we have an intent and Real desire to go short and ,we have a sense of direction and not  doom and gloom despeartion ,in doing the tried and failed.CORK have lots of work to do in training but must Perist and have Patience with the new game plan.We have the players to play it.

What we must do is pick the best 15,wake up ,and play keane at 3, and get rid of the deadwood on the panel ,with respect to the players ,Bud,white,cian mac ,Ellis ,have to be cut from the panel.How can you have real intensity in a v b training games when you have sub standard players like those 4 there.
    There hardly the 4 muskateers in fairness in regards hurling .

And dont give me the rubbish there the best Cork have .
    We carried passengers last year that i said all year long ,in Naughton and cussen and white ,and we paid the price,we couldnt play cussen bar when we were desparate against limerick and had no other men to bring on,Naughton was like cussen,in some media quarters way overhyped .

Naugthon couldnt do it with a golden chance to level in the replay,when you think of Coughlan warming hes hole on the bench.
    Once bitten twice shy Jbm.Cody has learned from last years mistakes,Jbm must also,and the two main ones ,are we must have a full back and not carry passengers on the panel.
    The other key aera is to evolve the game plan,like i said earlier today showed signs of that starting.

Nash-superb save ,the puckouts were a mixed baa ,but must keep the short puckous.Great to hear at last ,Nash motion put back to next year and the whingers and begruders cant say much for a year now .Great to give the man a break with free taking,teams cant stop or work a way to counter him if he isnt doing it.Hes doing it in training the whole time -and its good he is being held in reserve til championship ,or maybee a league game ,but pick and choose the games.

O neill-superb ,man of the match outside of kearney.Awesome display,if played at 2,an all star.

Mcdonnell-awful,truly  absymal,woeful, at 3, blameless as Management 100 per cent to blame for Constanly picking a lad 3 years in at there .Guiney destroyed him for the goal.I said it here during the week he would be roasted.Guiney is good,nothing special got 1-2 of maccie.Jack sheehan held guiney in ul v ucd as he defends,stands tall and ,defends the goal and aera ,ist and first foremost ,and uses hes body well.

Mcdonnell has not he mindset for full back.Okay let me gate real here and put this to bed once and for all.
    Mcdonnell won a ball low along the ground in the ist half ,he managed to race out ahead of Guiney .He was so fast he tore at pace ,broke two tackles ,got to midfield ,them he lost the ball.That im not bothered with.

In that cameo he showed why he is a half back or corner and not a full back .
    He showed huge pace and is a forceful runner ,and would be ideal at half back or midfield for cork .It showed hes instinct for a half back and why he has wrong mindset for 3,.A full back would not ran as far mcdonnell and left the square unattened ,by going so far up the field.Wexford tried to expoit maccie being out of poisition ,but the ball in to guiney free ,was poor.Cork only got away with it ,as it was down to poor wexford exceution.

Would the Rock???lohan???riche mac???kelly ,hickey the great full backs go that far up the field.No way .The rock knocked and floored 3 cats in 2003,and charged out of hes aera at pace in the all ireland final,crucially he then let the ball do the work and hit it long.He didnt go on a run past hes 45 metre line.Mcdonnell would as proven in the replayed final at half back be ideal for the possesion game ,as he can break tackles.He was super at half back when he went in there.

If he starts there against Callian ,i dont rate him in championship,when the need is greatesest ,but in the league he is a serious operator ,so far he has scored 4-32 in 59 games,4-13 from play and he will destroy ,i mean destroy Mcdonnell at 3, and could get at least two goals.Is that exreme??no its a realistic view.Callinan has blinding pace,temparment is hes doubt i have.

Everbody says keane hasnt the pace for 3,now Sunday is an ideal test of that.In a league game unlike championship ,Callian will turn up.So play keane .Yes he could have an issue with pace,but i have a belief keane has the reading,understanding and hurling,stands tall and is physical to do a job against Callian.My judegement of players ,its fair to say im a shrewd judge and seldom wrong.
    I put my judement on the line,i think keane would do a job .Spillane is injured ,be my next option .
    Cahalane done good when he came on,similar to Downes u21 2011,he relished the physicality of Guiney .

But Cahalane is going to be a dual player.No good to us.Next week we have tyryone and tipp the same day.The league has shown the impossibity of the dual code,the championship will be harder to do .
    Cahalane isnt as good under the high ball ,as keane,and against Galway in Cork 2012 part of a double header was poor at 3.Keane must be furious ,two good teams,training all year ,superb cit ,yet he doesnt start to a man that has been exposed in the past at 3,then to rub salt in the wound ,a man that has little training done gets time as a sub ahead of him .

Murphy-poor start ,grew in to the game .Burke should start the next day ,superb corner back ,u21 this year,played at centre back challenge ,v clare ,is fast and tenacious.

Lorchan-slow start,was very good,and hurled a lot of ball

Joyce -half back line was under huge pressure due to cronin inability to track hes man back ,and thus when like clare last year ran at us ,the half back line was too open .
    And white was awful so again how the jesus joyce can command when he has to baby sit  white is hard to do ,and i was suprised we didnt dominate as we should have ,but still joyce was solid and had a good last 20

White-too slow,indecisive,cant read a game,is way of hes man and the 1st  touch is poor .Expect ,depending who does the report in the papers(some good writers there)could get an 8 in rating.I would struggle to give him a 5.

Lads he tries hard ,and commitment i aplaud but he is poor ,i mean poor,in comparison to gavin o mahony,maher,o brien,holden,bulger etc
    Nagle is better,or mick walsh of Kildorrey ,mcdonnell etc
    Egan to start next week.
    Mcgrath,forde ,Bubbles would destroy him next week .

Kearney very good,great work ethic ,was great in a deep role.

Cronin-awesome under the aerial ball,and worked hard.Hurling isnt sharp but in time that will get there.
    Was poor in tracking hes man ,and hadnt the pace to do it ,and cork had problems that started here .
    Was much better when he went in to half forward etc.Simply wont do at midfield,and No Way will lorchan do at here either.How many games as lorchan played poorly there.A decent average midfield wont win you all irelands.It must be good.
    People,i mean with no dissrespect , must wake up,lorchan would be destroyed by walsh,ryan,buckley ,rice ,galvin,browne,moran etc .O shea,sullivan must get games them mcdonnell if needs be.A dissaster if Lorchan or Cronin plays with kearney .Simply ,has had too many poor games with the odd good one.A super half back though.

Lawton-poor ,didnt work today and sullivan has to start the next day.

Harnedy was awesome-5 points won a lot of clean ball ,6 clean catches at least,led the attack,vocally encouraging the lads around him.Has it all ,hurling,balls,attuide,hunger,desire,hurl both sides,hands like a vice grip under the high ball ,pace,tathlecism,agiltiy ,leadership,spatial awararness ,and Real ,Real bravery and Hurling intelligance.

Could had a goal and 9,no way will he suffer 2nd season syndrome ,as the Rock said attuide comes from within.

He is the Paul O connell,peter o mahony ,of Cork hurling,the brian o driscoll ,evesyGame Means Something ,he knows the cork jersey means a lot ,and what and who he represents .
    He is our Cu chuclainn,our Brave heart,and i said it june ,ist game,tomas mul ,timmymac and niall mac rolled in to one.
    He could turn water in to wine.Am i getting carried away d??
    No,as i said this in june ,and advocated it every game since.
    A future captain of Cork .
    Will be up there with the Greats,the real greats of Cork hurling and in general.At least two more all stars he will win barring injury .
    In every game ,bar one league game has got a mininum 2 points per game he plays.Tipp have a diamond in Bonner maher.Harnedy is everything and much more.Harnedy has scoring and hurling finese.
    Take a bow ,take a bow what a player ,what a insirpation and Harnedy is everything thats great about cork.Shy unassuming of the field,a Roy Keane ,type player on it.Took sum punishment of wexford,unfairly ,but relished it .One of the few cork lads that would walk on the clare or kilkenny team.

Bud shouldnt started.one great point,few flashy touches ,flattered to decieve .Made two great runs but then hadnt the guile or poise for and end product.Went missing,didnt show a hunger or a desire to
    win dirty ball.Has the hurling,worth j**ck **** unless he has the steel and resovle to win ball.
    Cadogan should have started,and jbm made a woeful error in picking him over ,Alan ,in that cadogan done more,3 points ,made two points in 20 minutes ,where bud had a point in 50 minutes.

Bud ,if he had the grit of hes brother ex cork man kevin ,would be a superb hurler .Cadogan is as light ,as Bud ,but harder.That lad i advocated all year had to start.
    The lad has the touch,pace,hurling resolve but Most of all has attuide and must start against Tipp and someday will cut loose and get a big score -2-4 or 1-5.
    I can sense it ,i can smell it in the air.

HorGan awesome ,a real real leader,shoe in for an all star if he keeps form.As i said ,would go to centre forward and he was a different test of Le chin and got 3 super points,and while chin played well ,horgan kept the man from dominating.
    He has clearly worked with Nash on hes free taking .as that 2nd goal from a free,not like the horgan of 2012 who couldnt buy a goal from a placed ball.Hes techingue is much better,throws the ball up a yard higher and getting more power behind it ,but crucially unlike before is going for accuracy ,and not power alone.

Great display from play and placed balls,a wonderful display .

Moylan was poor today,i expect a lot more from the lad .
    Coughlan isn a corner forward in truth but should get a run as a sub even,as Luke is injured and Pauide not likely to be back at all for Cork this year.

Lehane,3 great points,much better when hes moves out of the full forward line.Okay got a goal inside,but that wasnt lehane brillance,it was down to poor goal keeping.Much more in him,must start and stay at half forward .

Tipp is a game we must win next week.They are getting goals.9 in 5 games against top teams where we have got just 3 in 5 against poor teams ,2 frees .Were not creating many chances ,and today the third goal was a mistake by fanning when cronin shot hit of the leg of a wexford back after the mistake ,and luckly ,lehane got it in .

But we Must start creating and getting goals.Cats have got 14 goals in 5 games against top teams,clare 10 against 5 top teams and they have expieremented with there teams also,the primary reasm expiermenation isnt affecting them as much as us ,is unlike cork who try ellis,white,hartnett etc ,that arent near intercounty level or showed us any reasons that they could or eve had a chance to get there ,Clare and kilkenny are trying players that have realistic chances of starting or at the very least making the panel .

Tippeary are leaking goals 12 in 5 games ,with cahill at half back ,and o mahony suspect at 3 ,we have goals in us but you must pick the best team thursday night to give you strong chance of winning.
    It should be 15 v 15 orthdox game,that suit both teams and managers.

Tippeary with Mcgrath,Maher,Ronan maher a super young talent,Dwyer ,mcgrath ,forde,cahill ,callinan wont be a easy game,and it wont be tactics dominated and it suits Tippereary ,and Tipp always had superb hurlers,and with Egan ,a super goalie,i said and maintain the real danger to Nash getting another all star ,shoring up the back ,Cork have to be sharp when the goal chances come .
    Egan was superb for tipp today and got the crucial point against Cork in 2007 1 point qualifer win in that qualifer in saturday eveing as a forward  at senior ,he could be our greatest danger at the oppoiste end of the field Sunday .

The team i pick wouldnt be the team for Clare exactly but a horses for courses selection ,and a team that can play the short  possesion game and the long game.

I pick this team on the basis everyone is fit and cahalane ,cadogan and walsh stay with the footballers

Nash
    O neill
    Keane
    Mcdonnell (egan hs not fit,burke)
    Mcloughlin
    Joyce
    Egan(mcdonnell if hes not fit)
    Kearney
    O shea(haughney had a nice point and would be suited like Hartnett in this game,but i dont see them as champinship starters so why start them)
    Sullivan -he would limit maher and has the aggression for him
    Harnedy
    Couglan -fast tempo game we need hes pace,and has hurling and aggression to match it
    Cadogan
    Cronin
    Horgan

Surely Conor Lehane makes the team

• Registered Users Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭lukin

The Examiner says the Cork/Tipp game will be in Cork and not be decided by a coin-toss as Tipp owe us a home game because the last time we played them in a knockout game in the league it was played in Thurles:
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/cork-set-to-have-home-advantage-262980.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭denishurley

Doesn't look to be the case now - Tipp are saying that that match was the final game of previous agreement so there'll be a toss

slingerz wrote: »
    Surely Conor Lehane makes the team

Would of course be at 12 instead of jamie my mistake

If were playing clare name the lad at 15 play then lad at 12

Footballers meant be to named later today if what i heard is true

Denis is walsh park the venue for Midelton game Saturday?please

The hurling i hope its in thurles.Yeah fans have to chhoose ,but at the end of the day thurles is where i wanted to be tested rather than pairc u rinn.

I find it ironic Cork county board ,crying wolf regards morales that tipp owes us from previous times a home game

With the fiacso we tried to get the league changed to suit Cork ,they cant go about fairness.

You see ,yes the talk will be oh we wants a double header for our fans.

The botton line is they see the revenue from a home game with the football

Perfectly understandable tipp dont want to give up home advantage ,as they want to win.

Doesn't look to be the case now - Tipp are saying that that match was the final game of previous agreement so there'll be a toss

Feck it anyway, I won't be able to make it if it is in Thurles. That means my season ticket attendance will go down.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭denishurley

Confirmed for Thurles, Sunday at 3.30pm.

Thinks, I haven't heard anything re Midleton game yet

Thurles next sunday at 3.30 hopefully tyrone n tg4 delighted with that

Board wont be happy

Laois v clare laois

Limerick v galway limerick

Wait for board to come out and say its a cost cork fans dont need,and they feel for the fans
    ,when you see the u16 hurlers not having a bus for limerick saturday yet family members have to take there members to the matches in cars at cost to them ,petrol etc

FAO of Denis Hurley

Fair play for your excellent report of the match in the paper today of the wexford match and saying Cork have issuses at full back.Your the only person i saw that highlighted that .Great to see .

Thanks Denis for info re Midelton

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/kingston-the-star-as-roco-reach-final-262927.html

Superb for rochestown ,fair play

Kingston is a star in the making and is sum talent with minor hurlers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Feck it anyway. I was looking forward to a double header down the pairc. Will be staying on leeside to cheer on footballers.

Confirmed for Thurles, Sunday at 3.30pm.

Thinks, I haven't heard anything re Midleton game yet

That sucks. I can't make it, I've committed to going to the footballers v Tyrone already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Horse84

Eoin cadogan and Aidan Walsh are confirmed to play football at the weekend with Damian cahalane and Alan cadogan with the hurlers, Egan is def back and Ellis is a maybe. It'll be an interesting team selection.

Ellis is no benfit to us.
    Ronan maher a u21 this year would run rings around ellis.He has the physique for ellis but the hurling and speed ellis simply doesnt have.
    Woodlock the same or mcgrath.
    Cadogan with the footballers and cahalane is a blessing in disguise as not only are they not our best options they would deprive keane/spillane if fit and egan or joyce much needed game time.

Walsh is a loss alright and i would perist with the lad,what we need is The media an ex players to say the dual code for 3 lads isnt going work as Cadogan for example has played just one game for the hurling so people dont have to be rocket scientists to realise the Dual code ,that some not all have advocated for since October has FAILED AND DISMALLY AT that,and cost other cork players like nagle etc panel places .

Horse what would be your team next week and what do make of Sullivan???

Killan murphy ,is a fine hurler,slow start but was good,but i want burke to start ,if spillane isnt fit ,as Burke needs a game,and this lad is an awesome corner back.

See we have sullivan,burke,murphy ,all options at corner back and Brian murphy a huge loss isnt going to hinder us greatly.

Mcdonnell could play there or else at half back.In fact Egan ,if not consistent,mcdonnell would be there,egan,and joyce .

We CANNOT PICK SLOW hurlers like Cian Mac,or White or Ellis for the wide open spaces of Thurles or Cronin at midfield .

Team must have pace,in hurling,and leg speed for Sunday.The team picked will tell a lot

I go to to Hurling as fntball is a must win ,but we loose we can qualify and beat kerry were through.
    Thurles ,is much better for development our team and Thurles defines if your a hurler .This cork team has to be taken out of the comfort zone,and thurles does that,as there will be a real intesity and focus to that game,as the fear is we dont to tipp we could be beaten handy.

I expect a big game sunday ,thurles brings the best of us and just what the doctor ordered,playing in cork after 3 home games ,is worth nothing likes cadogan,or o shea etc ,the new lads must get exposure to thurles as we have waterford in may there.

Id say jbm is delighted with the draw and thurles.Great draw for Cork .Its tough for fans i agree ,look at the end of day its is better for cork hurling to have an away game after sub standard games in div 1b so far bar limerick at home .At least we will learn from it at unlike in cork last year tipp will turn up ,at home want to win And o shea is under pressure by there fans to win

We beat tipp by 3 points in a challenge match already in morris park ,in february,nash two goals a free,spillane broke he nose in a challenge with jason forde,tipp had 8 starters aprox,regulars even though maher went of injured.
    The two mahers,cahill,o brien,o mahony ,woodlock ,and eoin kelly played a bit .

That cork team in February in that challenge match that played Tipp behind closed doors in Morris park,in what was have meant to have been a tough affair ,with no teams holding back in the challenges ,played the Same day Ard coil beat Hamlton in theHarty cup semi final in a wet windy gale force day.

Nash
    O neill
    spillane
    Murphy
    Ellis
    Joyce
    White
    Haughney
    Kearney
    Lawton
    Cian mac
    Sullivan
    Cadogan
    Coughlan
    Moylan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Horse84

Yea I'll post my team there in a day or so, need to think about it and talk to some of the tipp crowd and how they think they'll approach it.

I agree re thurles, yea it's a balls that it's not the double header but you're not a cork hurling fan if u don't like travelling to thurles.

I suppose I'd be quietly confident of a good performance and slightly less so of a win considering what we've been playing up til now but tipp aren't exactly clicking either. A lot will depend on team selection and will prob be won or lost at half back.

JBM has an outstanding record against tipp throughout his career and I'd be confident himself and the management team will get it right.

I want a shot ar Claire now. Playing them would be the dose of reality this team needs, if what Crowley and them are saying is true about the team struggling to come to terms with the all Ireland loss. They need to play them to prove to themselves if not us that they can mix it. But look that's thinking too far ahead, tipp will give us enough of it and i can't ****in wait for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Horse84 wrote: »
    Eoin cadogan and Aidan Walsh are confirmed to play football at the weekend with Damian cahalane and Alan cadogan with the hurlers, Egan is def back and Ellis is a maybe. It'll be an interesting team selection.

Cahalane is sticking with hurling only by the looks of it so?

Alan Cadogan might be getting a call from Cuthbert given the way he's going with U-21 footballers. Was outstanding in both games.

I see his brother has ankle trouble again..think he'd be better off sticking with one code for the moment given his injury problems. No point in sending him out half injured as happened last year. I'm not a Cork fan, but don't like seeing that no matter who it is.
    Walsh has hammer trouble already aswell...you'd have to think the dual thing is doomed really and I think Cuthbert realises it. His quote about "reassessing after the league..and if it's not working, putting a stop to it" (paraphrasing) would seem to indicate he realises that footballers need Walsh a lot more than hurlers.
    Can't see how dual thing is going to work for individuals when the hurlers and footballers are following two distinct strength and conditioning programmes for 2 very different games.

Cahalane i misimterrpted it,he is with the hurlers so this weekend.
    He hasnt said he isnt with the footballers for the year but its interesting how it pans out.

Id agree with that horse.

Vaughan played a sub the wknd in u21 football-cads got 7 points play re douglas,davis played well and horgan nemo got 1-7 or close it play nemo,kiely played well and fulgnatti,good news that all u21 lads are standing out at club game in the u21 in the lead up to Munster final re 9th April v Tipp.

Mark ellis is a doubt and unlikely per cork gaa web site be ready for sunday.

Cork v wexford game on tnght At 8.30 tg4

For those that werent at it ,watch Guineys goal and how easily he turned mcdonell and That goal shows the flaws and why i have advocated last year ,he isnt a 3.

Cork u21s beat wexford yesterday after senior game

Cork interemediates had a challenge lined up against Avondu tonight cancelled due to the weather .I was lookiog forward to watching that.

Great time to be a cork man .Cork v tyrone,then Tipp hurling ,then A munster tilte 4tin a row going for with,the the same night cork v kerry minor hurling ,week later minors football v limerick(a cakewalk for us ,limerick are awful i heard).

Then the huge matter of our Schools ,Midelton v cbs kilkenny sat ,then rociestown in the final B all ireland .

A lot of games cork gaa in the month.Club games starting soon.
    I love this time of year .

Any news wgere rochestown all ireland final when and where????anyone please

A huge statement this week in both hurling and football teams picked,shall reveal a lot.
    Key ,that Our football management address midfield,i doubt they will as the post match talk they exonerated a midfield that was dominated by Mayo .

Tg4 havent said what football game there showing or hurling .Hopefully they do one game of cork.

Our football is at 2 hurling at 3 .30

Tg4 will do a hurling and football game next week .

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

what was that u21 team like?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭zetecescort

Would be ideal if the football was televised. Head up to Thurles before 2, watch the football and head in for the hurling then

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭corkrobinhood

Good win yesterday,not great by any means,a pile of work to be done come Championship or we'll be caught on the hop.

Delighted for Cadogan,hes had a great week,tough bit of stuff he is,and Harmedy,he was outstanding.

Thought Kearney did well too,and Lehane when he moved out the field,the rest played in fits and spurts,as has been said already White was very poor,surprised how much hes gone back even from the All Ireland last year.

Shame we couldnt get the double header in the Pairc on Sunday,i'll be at the football anyway,hurlers will need to improve bigtime to beat Tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

McDonnell is out for the Tipp game with work overseas. Moylan and Murphy are out too with groin injuries

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,883 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

From what I've seen of Tip, we will have right cut off them. If the Dublin forward went for a point in injury time instead of lofting it in, Tip would be playing Waterford in the relegation playoff - nothing to fear there. Our forwards will score enough points but we might get caught by our lack of goals. Should be an even enough game but I think we will take them by 2 or 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭dring

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    I remember King Kenny commenting on how excellent the surface was after Liverpool played a game there 20 odd years ago as well - super surface.

almost 30 years ago
    http://www.lfchistory.net/SeasonArchive/FriendlyGame/8166

• Advertisement

dring wrote: »

Thanks for that....I feel even older now...:pac:

I remember the ref blew the whistle early to try to allow Liverpool get off the pitch safely as the crowd were baying to get on. Super crowd that day, that was the second time I saw Pool playing live.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement