Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 kilmac14

You dont start our greatest forward colm o neill

That shows up your bias

Its Cork not west cork lad.A reality check.

TTM Im am not biased towards West Cork players only and I want to put that on record. My main point was that if there're were better players in the rest of the county, then Cuthbert would be picking him. He obviously thinks that Hayes has something to offer the panel and the team and Hayes obviously can commit to training this year unlike the past few years.

Its all fine and good saying that Cuthbert should pick this player and that player and should try this fella and that fella but that wouldnt be practical at all when you think of! I would love to see certain fellas from around the county get a chance in the county jersey, but like a lot of lads I know cannot commit to the training regime and the constant commuting to training, and I think that is the single biggest factor why alot of players never wear the famous blood and bandage.

As for your comments about Andrew O Sullivan, yes he is a great fielder of the ball and lacks a lot of the finesse of a modern day midfielder but to say that he is'nt good enough for junior level is really on to be honest with you. You say that Fitzgerald, O Donovan of Bishopstown and Sean Dineen of Castlehaven would destroy O Suliivan. Well I played with both O Donovan and Dineen at club level when they were both underage and I can tell you for one thing, while O Donovan and Dineen are better kickpassers and may exert greater influence on games, neither would have the workrate of O Sullivan. Plus Dineen is a farmer at home and O Donovan is a Garda in the city so I doubt if either would be able to fully committed to county training.

Finally on you're point that I omitted Colm O Neill from my championship forward line, this wasnt intentional but I would keep him in reserve for the opening championship game as he needs more time to train and needs to be gently eased back into the team after such a succession of knee injuries. Once he is fully fit and has had sufficient game time under his belt then he is an automatic starter in my championship team.

Also I respect all good footballers, from what ever parts of the county they come from, its just I hail from West Cork and thus get to see alot of club games in West Cork every year, I would be no way bias towards anyone in West Cork or Carbery its just I would have a better knowledge of players is this region thats all TTM

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Your arrogance is so unjustified it amuses me.

You gave no argument whatsoever on Paul O’Flynn in your last post, unless I’m missing something.
    Did you see his last game at inter-county level for the Cork Junior’s in 2012?
    Did you see him play in the county championship last year?
    How would you classify those performances oh wise one, enlighten us?

Yes, Alan O’Connor was outplayed and outpaced last year in the Dublin game..as were Kerry’s midfield, and Mayo’s and a lot more besides. You think Paul O’Flynn is even on the same planet as any of those lads and you insult other people’s opinions on GAA? Gas man!

Be a good man and go back over my Previous months posts ,many times i gave example flynn.
    Im not wasting time re saying for likes you but the hours you would spend trawling throtgh my posts i have so many be well worth it lad as you would get all info you want re flynn

Your cluess regards what Cork football need.
    Thank you for wonderful comments.
    Fair play for your commendable interest and inshght re cork,i thouht you would be busy trying to figure out yere crisis at u21 in kerry.!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Be a good man and go back over my Previous months posts ,many times i gave example flynn.
    Im not wasting time re saying for likes you but the hours you would spend trawling throtgh my posts i have so many be well worth it lad as you would get all info you want re flynn

Your cluess regards what Cork football need.
    Thank you for wonderful comments.
    Fair play for your commendable interest and inshght re cork,i thouht you would be busy trying to figure out yere crisis at u21 in kerry.!

I would rather gouge my eyes out than reread a month's worth of your posts and in any case I don't have a week off..but of course you refuse to answer my questions on Flynn. Point is, he played half back in last years championship and looked nowhere near intercounty standard which makes your argument look rather ridiculous doesn't it?

Not much to figure out on Under 21s, Cork were much the better team as I told you here many times pre match and after...but of course you're never wrong..:rolleyes:

Well thats a fair point re Colm ,but you didnt state that in the 1st post
    If colm is out,Donnacha should start .
    As regards O donovan i wouldnt want him for cork like i said yesterday or Fitzgerld of clyda ,but i they would dominate Sullivan .
    Work ethic alone isnt good enough for Intercounty midfield when he turnovers ball far too easily .I can name ten club players with Work ethic alone that could match sullivan First it was he could play a deep role,now its he is a great worker.I admire your club/division loyalty but he isnt good enough,for Cork in the game we play .

If sullivan was as good as you Claim why was Cork midfield dominated against Mayo ,and Derry???and why is the midfield acknowleged as a groblem aera.
    Walsh is hardly the problem .
    Was Sullivan eligble for Cork junior???last year ,im nt sure ,i want to clarify that????if so why wasnt he picked for that
    Why didnt he make the club team of the year hardly in contention.

What did sullivan in do in 2008,2010 with cork.Cork teams have carried passengers re teams in the past ,we got to change that .
    Thats the question you must ask and be truthful for Cork in the answer.Cork are building a fine team ,1-8 and 10-15 is close to picking itself.Nobody wants to be doing postmortems next august we could have got to all ireland if we had a partner for walsh.

If we continue to get wiped out at midfield our backs will be under constant pressure and our potent 6 forwards(bar hayes)colm or doc ahead of him or Hodnett wont have any supply of ball in to them .

Also i posted stats that showed from a paper when deane and andrew started a game ,deane was much better in a debut compared to Andrew.Even in the Mcgrath cup final sullivan kicked aimless ball after ball away .

Yes deane is injured but cuthbhert was clearly not picking the lad anyhow .

Dineen ,would be a savage player ,but hes farming and young family he cant commit to cork,and thats fair enough.

You said laoire was too raw yesterday.again hes 23 or 24 and like examples i said was Just as raw as them.Laoire is much better than Andrew.
    Paul o flynn ,Laoire are two viables options,unlikey he will play them

.Kelly ,is an option .Cahalane ,would be an option ahead of sullivan,played there for cork minors etc.Goulds temparament hughely questionable .
    Wouldnt be my preffered choice for him,but he can win ball,kick a pass and is a good man to defend,but discipline needs to be worked on.

Your not biased you say re West cork,fair enough if thats the case .
    You had went on about Carbery and West cork being a strong hold of football and talent can be ignored over raw talent ,and Its a disservice to them more or less and that hayes club record(good certainly not close to tying Masters shoelaces ), was like Cork football owed them a place.Cork football and rightly so didnt owe Masters a place .

Cork football isnt or shouldn be owing anyone a place,a player earns that jersey ,and As masters,i proved ,he was dropped for Cork when he wasnt up to what Cork required,and had a much much greater reputation than Hayes or Andrew .

The bottom line is are hayes and andrew are not good enough.Imo,time ,previous campagins and not just with cuthbert has clearly proved they are lacking at this level .And there at the point in there career they hardly will inprove .
    They are very much the past of Cork football .

I aint from west cork but as you may realise ,from my posts or you will come to realse that i go lots,lots club,u15,16, intercounty etc and it doesnt matter where games m,as long as there is a road there i go to games,so my knowlege of west cork is very and im well aware of what talents are in every part of cork.

As for example jack lyons valley is a huge talent down there and i seem him a few times and said it here before is a real talent .

SUBS
    16. Ken O'Halloran (Bishopstown)
    17. John McLoughlin (Kanturk)
    18. Alan Cronin (Nemo Rangers)
    19. Jamie O'Sullivan (Bishopstown)
    20. Kevin O'Driscoll (Tadhg MacCárthaigh)
    21. Andrew O'Sullivan (Castletownbere)
    22. Micheál Ó Laoire (Naomh Abán)
    23. Colm O'Driscoll (Tadhg MacCárthaigh)
    24. Barry O'Driscoll (Nemo Rangers)
    25. Colm O'Neill (Ballyclough)
    26. Patrick Kelly (Ballinc
    Great to see Kelly and Jamie sul on the bench

Kelly should get a half and jamie a half or next week

Cuthbert is on record saying every player would get chance league

Thats the case laoire has to start against Kerry

If fit i expect kelly and jamie sul to start
    A win and here we are likely to be in a strong posistion for a home semifinal

1v4
    2v3
    I have a feeling we will play kerry in a semifinal as he should pick a strong team for kerry ,im nt sure we will ,if we win sunday

Kerry will beat westmeath sunday and could get 3rd depending on results

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 kilmac14

As regards O donovan i wouldnt want him for cork like i said yesterday or Fitzgerld of clyda ,but i they would dominate Sullivan .
    Work ethic alone isnt good enough for Intercounty midfield when he turnovers ball far too easily .I can name ten club players with Work ethic alone that could match sullivan First it was he could play a deep role,now its he is a great worker.I admire your club/division loyalty but he isnt good enough,for Cork in the game we play .

If sullivan was as good as you Claim why was Cork midfield dominated against Mayo ,and Derry???and why is the midfield acknowleged as a groblem aera.
    Was Sullivan eligble for Cork junior???last year ,im nt sure ,i want to clarify that????if so why wasnt he picked for that

What did sullivan in do in 2008,2010 with cork.Cork teams have carried passengers re teams in the past ,we got to change that .
    Thats the question you must ask and be truthful for Cork in the answer.Cork are building a fine team ,1-8 and 10-15 is close to picking itself.Nobody wants to be doing postmortems next august we could have got to all ireland if we had a partner for walsh.

If we continue to get wiped out at midfield our backs will be under constant pressure and our potent 6 forwards(bar hayes)colm or doc ahead of him or Hodnett wont have any supply of ball in to them .

Also i posted stats that showed from a paper when deane and andrew started a game ,deane was much better in a debut compared to Andrew.Even in the Mcgrath cup final sullivan kicked aimless ball after ball away .

Dineen ,would be a savage player ,but hes farming and young family he cant commit to cork,and thats fair enough.

You said laoire was too raw yesterday.again hes 23 or 24 and like examples i said was Just as raw as them.Laoire is much better than Andrew.

.Kelly ,is an option .Cahalane ,would be an option ahead of sullivan,played there for cork minors etc.Goulds temparament hughely questionable .
    Wouldnt be my preffered choice for him,but he can win ball,kick a pass and is a good man to defend,but discipline needs to be worked on.

You had went on about Carbery and West cork being a strong hold of football and talent can be ignored over raw talent ,and Its a disservice to them more or less and that hayes club record(good certainly not close to tying Masters shoelaces ), was like Cork football owed them a place.Cork football and rightly so didnt owe Masters a place .

Cork football isnt or shouldn be owing anyone a place,a player earns that jersey ,and As masters,i proved ,he was dropped for Cork when he wasnt up to what Cork required,and had a much much greater reputation than Hayes or Andrew .

The bottom line is are hayes and andrew are not good enough.Imo,time ,previous campagins and not just with cuthbert has clearly proved they are lacking at this level .And there at the point in there career they hardly will inprove .

I aint from west cork but as you may realise ,from my posts or you will come to realse that i go lots,lots club,u15,16, intercounty etc and it doesnt matter where games m,as long as there is a road there i go to games,so my knowlege of west cork is very and im well aware of what talents are in every part of cork.

As for example jack lyons valley is a huge talent down there and i seem him a few times and said it here before is a real talent .

Again you make some very good points but like everyone on here I am entitled to my opinion as much as you are.

Yes Cork Football needs to be picked from the best players no matter where they come from, but unfortunately at this moment in time with O Neill, Canty and O Connor retiring we are very light on options around midfield and the talent pool coming up is'nt the strongest but we have very good prospects in O Laoire, Deane, Maguire and even David Nation of Nemo might be an option there in the future if he develops into a top quality player.

And I dont want to question your knowledge of Cork players and where their from but you're statement about Paul O Flynn is outrageous. I know Paul fairly well as I was in college with him and yes he is a fine fielder of the ball and can kick well with both feet but AFAIK he cannot commit to intercounty football due to work/family pressures

Nation hasnt got the x factor saw him in the sigerson not up to it

Kiely, ,maguire are hot prospects.

Hanlon/murphy may be

Nothing outrageous re flynn,you admitted he is good enough for intercounty.Huge stamina,athletic,a real presence and strong.

If he isnt avaible re Selection fair point but what i heard he was avalible in october ,if that changed fair point.

We still have options ,laoire isnt raw ,we cnt babysit him,lad is well able for tough games

Cahalane is an option.You see i know a lot re cork football to know we have better than andrew

Was andrew etligble for junior last year???i would like that to be clarifed by anyone.

I asked that 3 times now .I was told he was but aint sure

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

Andrew didnt play senior championship for Cork in 2012, and didnt play senior club championship (Castletownbere are Intermediate) so was eligible to play Junior with Cork last year, but for whatever reason didnt.

These players who won the All Ireland Junior last year are ineligible from playing this year

Daithí Hanrahan; A.J. O’Connor, Eoin O’Mahony, Kevin Harrington; Richard O’Sullivan, Rory O’Sullivan, Sean Kiely; Ruarí Deane (0-1), Michael O’Leary (0-1); Cathal Vaughan (0-5, 3f), Andrew O’Brien (0-1), Colm O’Driscoll (0-1); Kevin O’Driscoll (0-2), Fiachra Lynch (0-2), David Harrington. Subs: Peter Daly (for O’Mahony b/s 2, reversal 3), Daly (for Rory O’Sullivan 42), Michael Vaughan (for D.Harrington 44), Eoghan Buckley (for O’Brien 58)

And the following cant play the Munster part of this year as they came on and played in the Munster final of last year which we won, but can play the All Ireland Series, should we win munster, as they didnt play in the all ireland final:

Mark Sugrue, Seamus Hickey, John Cronin

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

Oh and i just realised Andrew played senior Championship against Limerick last year, so thats why he didnt play Junior last year. And cant play Junior this year either.

A
    Connorzee wrote: »
    Oh and i just realised Andrew played senior Championship against Limerick last year, so thats why he didnt play Junior last year. And cant play Junior this year either.

Thanks lad

He wasnt availble so .Laoire and deane was superb.

Theres a lad that defo could do a job at midfield not as a forward is fiactra lynch

Great worker,played one game at corner back seniors was good.
    A great kick passer.
    Rory o sullivan but for injury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭EpicPothole

Im sorry TTM, but i cant find anything in Kilmac's post to back up the bolded statement from you.

St finbarrs launching there Manual this week regards buidiling for the future.
    Years of neglect,is where they are where they are,but credit due to them taking the 1st step to recovery.

Got a wake up call last year re relegation

Glad they werent relegated as cork needs the city clubs to be strong.The talent is there.

There starting with kids with programmes for 6-9 ,9-12 and 12-16 etc

A good idea.Mayfield have an academy in place,with douglas,rockies and glen doing great underage work

The more competive county champimship cork can only benfit

Jbm,ronan curran ,gerald mac,john allen are at the launch

kilmac14 wrote: »
    What excatly is your problem with John Hayes TTM?? Hayes has consistently been on of the best forwards in the county for the past ten years or so and deserves his place on the county panel. I come from a great stronghold of football in this county (Carbery) and he is the most natural scoring forward in the county...Brian Hurley withstanding!! What he lacks in work rate he makes up for in immense skill and quality finishing. If you were to take your point about work rate and expand it a bit more I wouldnt have Goulding starting either as for two long he has gone missing in big games for Cork (especially against our nearest neighbours)....So should Goulding be dropped from the panel aswell?????

As for McEoin, yes he is a tremendous talent but having seen him at close quarters in many Ilen games in the past he has a lazy streak about him and wont work hard when he loses the ball.

The forward line for the championship should read as follows in my opinion: O Rourke, Kelly, Collins, Hodnett, Hurley, Goulding. We dont lack firepower and have plenty of quality forwards but I hope that we get over the fact that all our forwards need to be great workhorses and get behind Cuthbert and his new ideas.

As for midfield I really think our options are very limited at the moment. Walsh and AN Other will start in the championship. My best bet is that he will start Goold in there as he is more suited to playing there than in the half forward line. What he lacks in fielding he makes up for in his mobility and his fine kicking passing. Andrew O Sullivan is one of the best fielders of the ball in the county and for you to say that he would struggle at junior level is doing him and his club Castletownbere at great disservice. O Sullivan would be a great foil for Walsh's burst's forward while O Sullivan sits behind and minds the house. Also I feel that strongly that O Laoire will hopefully make a great midfielder some day but he is very raw yet for inter county level and will need a few years to settle in at senior inter county level as it is a big step for such a raw talent.

For the Special Attention Of Epic POTHOLE

Just in case you cant see where he mentioned Stronghold,Ist Paragaph.

You will only have a problem reading it if you dont want to See ,or Rather choose not to .Nine lines down just to make it easy for you .

Carbery is in west cork ,by the way so you see my point.I hope that backs up your query .

And im glad you questioned me ,i hope are just as equal when it comes to others.Thanks Epic .

Tippereary are naming there team not til saturday at 1pm,apparently over injuries worries.We have a load of injuries but Cork are naming the team Tommorrow.I may be wrong but it wouldnt suprise if it was mind games-the macgeeney influence,sounds hes style .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

To those suggesting Fiachra Lynch and Paul O'Flynn are good enough for Cork and Andrew O'Sullivan is going to last the pace in Croke Park, I really hope that ye haven't or never will be left pick a team cause it could go badly wrong.

Words of wisdom from a lad that sees no problem with Dorman at full back for the u21 team in the past despite 4 games being exposed,and thought Crowley wouldnt be a better option When i said it.Crowley isnt a natural 3,could do a way better job than Dorman.Turns quicker,reads game better .
    Id agree re o sullivan though

Gould has the talents to do a job in croke park ,temparament huge problem.So Who would you pick at 9?presuming maguire doesnt make it this year .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Horse84

Said I'd post up my team for the hurling on Sunday. Now there's no real shocks in it as we're a bit short on options esp in defence with lads being unavailable for different reasons.

We also won't know the tipp team. Talking to a few tipp buddies in the know and they say tipp are gunning for this match and going well in training.

I'm expecting a big performance from them so this will be a big test for us and it's just what the doctor ordered if u ask me.

1. Nash
    2. O'neill
    3. Keane
    4. Spillane (Burke if Spillane not fit)
    5. Mcloughlin
    6. Joyce
    7. Egan
    8. Kearney
    9. O'shea
    10. Lawton
    11. Harnedy
    12. Lehane
    13. Cadogan
    14. Horgan
    15. Coughlan

Now I'm not overly familiar with Burke I have to admit as I wouldn't see a lot of midleton games so if he's a better option that Spillane there so be it but I think at this stage Spillane needs gametime.

The half back line is vital and if we can break even here we can win. All 3 need big games and if anyone's in trouble there I wouldn't be long in whipping anyone off and bringing on cahalane. He's not ready for 70 mins at all yet but he made a big difference when he came on against Wexford I thought.
    Now I really don't want to see white anywhere this team. I'll get sick if I see him named on the wing or in the corner where, have no doubt he'll either get absolutely roasted or give away needless frees or both. It's in times like these, and I know I go on about it, that Brian Murphy is a big loss but he was very credible cover for nearly all 6 positions across the back. We can't afford to be carrying passengers and white is one of those right now.

At midfield I hope management have learned that Cronin isn't an option, on current form at midfield. I've a sneaky suspicion that if Ellis is available he could very well start but for me I think rob o shea has done enough to earn a start Sunday. He's got a great engine and covers a lot of ground. Haughney to see gametime and we'll see if he can handle a battle in thurles.

I've picked Lawton here just cause I want to see more of him. He made a difference coming on against Offaly but didn't offer much against Wexford. He must up his work rate big time.

The full forward line of cadogan Cronin and coughlan has a good mix of pace power and brains. At first I didn't pick cadogan at all as he is a game changer at the minute off the minute and with the u-21 football coming 3 days after. His form however demands a start and he'll learn a lot from Sunday. He's the real deal. Horgan at 14 and couglan at 15. Ive only seen jamie against Laois and at centre forward like most of the team that night was absolutely awful. I don't doubt his ability however. He's not really a 15 for me so I'd expect him to be dropping deep a lot leaving space inside for Horgan and cadogan where tipp are vulnerable.-Conor o mahony is not a full back so there are goals to be had and we'll need them Sunday.

I've left out Cronin cause I just don't think the man is fit. If he was to start at full forward grand but at the moment we have better options and we need to see guys like Lawton and others perform against top opposition. We'll need to be very smart with subs and impact with the likes of mickey sull, Cronin and haughney off of the bench will be vital.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭mcgyvor

Words of wisdom from a lad that sees no problem with Dorman at full back for the u21 team in the past despite 4 games being exposed,and thought Crowley wouldnt be a better option When i said it.Crowley isnt a natural 3,could do a way better job than Dorman.Turns quicker,reads game better .
    Id agree re o sullivan though

Gould has the talents to do a job in croke park ,temparament huge problem.So Who would you pick at 9?presuming maguire doesnt make it this year .
    i think id give shields a go in there .i know youll say itll weaken our back line but
    its a bigger problem for backs if we are loosing 9 or 10 kick outs in a row which has happened especially in 1st half you wont win anything if that keeps happening

• Registered Users Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭slingerz

closeline wrote: »
    To those suggesting Fiachra Lynch and Paul O'Flynn are good enough for Cork and Andrew O'Sullivan is going to last the pace in Croke Park, I really hope that ye haven't or never will be left pick a team cause it could go badly wrong.

tbf the 3 of them are good players and should be considered for the side at least based on their prior history and performances. They may have needed the break that John Hayes took to come back with a freshness though.

One player that I always thought should have been on the panel at least is Hugh Curran of Newcestown. Talented footballer and tough as well I believe he is abroad this year though.

Anyone know what has happened with Denis O'Sullivan of Clon/Ballinscarthy?

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

slingerz wrote: »
    tbf the 3 of them are good players and should be considered for the side at least based on their prior history and performances. They may have needed the break that John Hayes took to come back with a freshness though.

One player that I always thought should have been on the panel at least is Hugh Curran of Newcestown. Talented footballer and tough as well I believe he is abroad this year though.

Anyone know what has happened with Denis O'Sullivan of Clon/Ballinscarthy?

http://www.irishexaminer.com/archives/2013/0311/ireland/oapossullivan-out-of-reckoning-for-cork-after-appeal-rejected-225085.html

• Advertisement

i knew that but his time has passed now so i assume he is now with Clon full time. Question is why he isnt involved with Cork anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

slingerz wrote: »
    i knew that but his time has passed now so i assume he is now with Clon full time. Question is why he isnt involved with Cork anymore?

Sh*te - I missed that it was 2013 - DOH!!!

Id be delighted if that team started .

The only marginal call at that is michael sul for lawton ,but Horse with cronin nt fit and injuries it take that team for sunday and as you say subs got to be used wisely .

Id be delighted if that team started .

The only marginal call at that is michael sul for lawton ,but Horse with cronin nt fit and injuries it take that team for sunday and as you say subs got to be used wisely .

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭denishurley

Shane O'Neill out for Sunday, Cahalane starts

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭zetecescort

CORK SENIOR HURLING TEAM TO PLAY TIPPERARY ON SUNDAY 27/03/2014
    The Cork Senior Hurling team to play Tipperary on Sunday at 3.45pm in Thurles will line out as follows:

1. Anthony Nash (Kanturk)
    2. Damien Cahalane (St. Finbarr's)
    3. Eoin Keane (St. Finbarr's)
    4. Killian Burke (Midleton)
    5. Lorcán Mc Loughlin (Kanturk)
    6. Christopher Joyce (Na Piarsaigh)
    7. William Egan (Kilbrin)
    8. Daniel Kearney (Sarsfields)
    9. Paul Haughney (Midleton)
    10. Brian Lawton (Castlemartyr)
    11. Seamus Harnedy (St. Ita’s)
    12. Patrick Cronin (Bishopstown - Captain)
    13. Patrick Horgan (Glen Rovers)
    14. Conor Lehane (Midleton)
    15. Jamie Coughlan (Newtownshandrum)

Subs
    16. Darren McCarthy (Ballymartle)
    17. Colm Spillane (Castlelyons)
    18. Stephen White (Ballygarvan)
    19. Mark Ellis (Millstreet)
    20. Rob O’Shea (Carrigaline)
    21. Michael O’Sullivan (Tracton)
    22. Brian Hartnett (Midleton)
    23. Alan Cadogan (Douglas)
    24. Cian McCarthy (Sarsfields)
    25. Cormac Murphy (Mallow)
    There are six changes to the team for Sunday’s quarter-final. Damien Cahalane gets a first Senior Hurling start of the season at corner back, as does Midleton’s Killian Burke in the other corner, replacing the injured Kilian Murphy and Shane O'Neill. Eoin Keane comes in at full back in place of Stephen McDonnell who has work commitments abroad. William Egan returns to the side in place of Stephen White, while Paul Haughney starts at mid-field with Pa Cronin moving to wing forward. With Stephen Moylan out injured, Jamie Coughlan comes in at corner forward, and Brian Hartnett is on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Horse84

Injuries becoming a serious issue in defence. I'm not sure cahalane is a) suited to corner back and b) fully fit at all, 70 mins at the minute is prob a bridge too far for him. He said so himself after game against Wexford.
    Tipp will look to just feed that full forward line fast and at every opportunity. It's going to be a massive test for a full back line that's never played together before at senior inter county and it means the hb line has to be rock solid.
    I'm not surprised at all from 8-15 and is pretty much what I expected. I partly guessed jimmy would hold cadogan but we will need him. All those forwards will have to work like dogs to put pressure on tipp and stop tipp at source. Huge test for haughney at midfield.
    How serious is Shane o neill's injury?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

That's a huge ask for the full back line, but saying that I like to see them being given the office instead of cobbling together something else just for the sake of the game. Those lads will get confidence from management having faith in them in a big game. Ideally I would have Lehane in the half forward line instead of Lawton and have Cadogan inside but understandable that he's on the bench.

Considering whos unavaiable,o neill,murphy,mcdonnell,moylan ,luke o farrell ,Walsh,and Spillane just back,im very happy with the team and the position of players,im taking it lehane to swap with croin or even harnedy ,as O mahony is there for taking at 3.

Cahalane I wouldnt have there ,and not a corner back as in football was burned too many times at 2, but to be fair management hadnt many options with o neill,mcdonnell,o sullivan ,brian murphy retired,and killan murphy out and spillane jusj back ,what was an aera of depth is very weak in cover but manager is blameless for sunday.

I fear cahalane could be roasted fitness wise ,and Keane im glad has a start ,but hes been thrown in at the deep end ,in that he as one corner back that has lack of fitness and hurling and even though burke is good,making hes debut .

Keane if things go pear shaped must not be judged too harsly.Should be judged with two expierenced corner backs beside him.If he gets a good start and grows in to game with burke,we should be okay .Nash is vital,absoultey vital,in he needs to be talking to keane and cahalane etc and burke all the time.Cahalane if he was 100 per cent commited to Hurling alone could make it ,as against Downes and against Horgan in club county championship in the past was suberb.But against Galway in 2012 league,part of double header with kerry that day cusack made a mistake and lorchan got a goal,we lost by a point ,he was poor and also against wexford in the championship as hes hurling wasnt sharp.Keane is being asked to do a job like a Pilot asked to fly jumbo jet in to Terrain he has never known ,and has no real expierence of flying together,and the weater forceast is ,turablence ahead,approach with extreme caution.

What gives me hope is keane and cahalane have an understanding from club,and are big game players ,mentailty,tough,and real leaders.
    They dont know when there beaten,and both are hughely resilent and lots of inner resolve ,such that both have made remarkable recoverys from serious injuries .Keane played with Cork B team in strikes and was okay.What may get Keane through it ,is hes Natural Hurling Instinct is good.

Im so glad we didnt play white at 4.
    Keane should be tough and abrasive for callian.
    Who takes forde???burke I would go with ,has touch and pace to do a job.

Joyce at last is getting a constant run of games,at 6,what he needs is stabilty and two wing man thats hes not going to have baby sit for.

Lorchan does give him that stabilty and egan once he turns up ,is as good as defender around.Must be told,be consistent ,or hes dropped.

Haughey has the talent and hurling to get 3 points if he turns up.Give the man the game,but must show a hunger and a work rate.And if he does,starts against clare ,but must show in that game to passt.

Should be told that Lorchan and cronin wont play at 9 ,in May and there is a place,for a player at mifield,increse the motivation,dangle the carrot and tell him he could emulate pat hartnett and mickey o connell as playing midfield from midelton for cork .

He has the hurling like Hartnett and Mickey,has the pace ,and mobilty Mickey hadnt but must have the hunger,and desire ,and courage that both Hartnett and Mickey o connell had and fight for every single ball.

Jbm greatest attrubite has always been able to get players to believe they were good enough for Red jersey,Harnedy,lehane etc.
    Im hoping he can do the same with Haughney ,as unlike some players on the panel,he has pace,hurling etc .Naughton was one player jbm couldnt change but ,Naughton was got late.
    Maybee just maybee he can ,help haughney as he has the hurling .He needs to have a chat with him .If had the temparment and work ethic of sullivan for example he would be unreal.

I would prefer if michael sul got a chance,think he has lots to offer ,and would be ideal for clare next week should me win .Having said that,lawton is a fine player and lots of hurling.3rd start ,so no excuses after sunday,3 games plenty of time to get up to speed.

Cadogan I would have liked to start but with u21 game wednesday in Munster final ,i can see why he isnt starting.

I hope maguire,horGan of Nemo (cork sub only but with oakes out injured,imperative we have him fit)martin in goal ,get through the u21 game with Barrs and Nemo in the championship tommorrow night .

Still a great sub to have.What delights me this team ,and jbm selection is with so many injured/out like walsh,murphy ,mcdonnell,o neill,o farell,michael cahalane ,and moylan and cadogan not starting ,is that Jbm didnt pick white,bud and Cian mac,and im really grateful and hopeful he realises these guys arent up to it ,and he is ruthless.

He could have went for them ,but even in a must win game,depleted squad,he choose to overlook them .
    Id say white,bud and cian,there goose is cooked.

The team sunday has pace,and mobilty and hurling and has a spine in keane,lorchan ,joyce ,and cronin,harnedy etc,and they can win.

Interesting in that two former athletes are training both teams in Gary ryan and Davidd matthews and ,have no doubt jbm knew what,and matthews had a huge say in the team picked ,as he knows tipp play a game at pace .Ryan represented ireland in olympics in 1996 and 2000 and was a 100m and 200M sprinter and ran 100m in 10.35 .and won National titles and is all about speed.

They followed Cork mantra with Matthews and it was a shrewd appointment by o Shea ,its a shame he took one step forward and ten steps back with Macgeeney.

A lot of injuries ,but we can win.Callilan is huge danger but in battles like gaelic grounds last year prone to go missing .He will get plenty of timber and fight out of Keane .I have faith in keane.Id be suprised if he was roasted,as for hes weakness in pace,he knows and Understands full back play and is a super reader of the game.

Midelton cbs have a huge game against kilkenny cbs saturday u16and 1/2 hurling all ireland hurling final.im going to fraher field.Come on Midelton ,bring the cup home .Best of luck and whatever happens have done Cork Proud

As for Huge curran repersenting Cork Senior football,with the greateast of respect and geuinely hand on heart I mean this ,but jesuus I wonder has all logic Actually been abandoned ,or is now Total Calamaity and a case of put every viable club midfielder in Cork to a hat ,and pick a different name each week.In all honesty of all the club games,you name it I go to,and I go to many ,training,college not once ,as hes name being to mentioned as a candiate for Cork
    And I. Regulary meet a lot of shrewd ,football men.

Lads this is Senior Elite Intercounty in all honesty ,not Newcestown v clonakily,or Ballincollig,or st vincents etc .Baffling choice it is ,imo it defies logic.Yes Curran is a fine club man for Newcestown,when they won the County Intermediate a few years ago and is a good club man.Was nominated as one of lads for Club team of the year this year .Picking a club team ,id start him.

But intercounty Senior???
    He made the Cork junior team 2008,one game against Limerick,was dropped then for kerry.Was called up to the Cork panel ,didnt make it. Under Counihan in 2008.I dont believe he made the juniors many other times did he ??.What age is Curran ???i dont think he ever made u21 or minors.What next ,???we Call up Cathrach Keane,Tadhg O Shea Ballyclough,,Buckley of Clyda , Odhran Mulrooney etc

All fine players and talented within a certain club level ,but talented for Senior intercounty .I mentioned chris o Donovan ,played with various cork teams. As better than Andrew before and I was told he wasnt up it .He may not be ,i doubt he is,but as I said better than Andrew and certainly better than curran ,so much Bishoptown wanted him .

I ask the question to that poster,what credible evidence gives this player justification to be in contention ,what games etc?????
    Now top level games.
    The way some standards are ,every good decent club player should get a trial.For cork ,you must stand out from the rest ,in club games.He was solid yes but never stand out.

Horse 84 ,o neill injury I dont think is too serious .

Denis O Sullivan just fell out of favour after that awful mess in clonakilty and was not picked again.That was sad to see ,Ballinscarty ,a parish that lived for football,i dont think it even has a church divided by football,like Newtown in the Hurling.
    There is never any winners in these
    affairs,everyone in one way or another loose out.

• Advertisement

As for Huge curran repersenting Cork Senior football,with the greateast of respect and geuinely hand on heart I mean this ,but jesuus I wonder has all logic Actually been abandoned ,or is now Total Calamaity and a case of put every viable club midfielder in Cork to a hat ,and pick a different name each week.In all honesty of all the club games,you name it I go to,and I go to many ,training,college not once ,as hes name being to mentioned as a candiate for Cork
    And I. Regulary meet a lot of shrewd ,football men.

Lads this is Senior Elite Intercounty in all honesty ,not Newcestown v clonakily,or Ballincollig,or st vincents etc .Baffling choice it is ,imo it defies logic.Yes Curran is a fine club man for Newcestown,when they won the County Intermediate a few years ago and is a good club man.Was nominated as one of lads for Club team of the year this year .Picking a club team ,id start him.

But intercounty Senior???
    He made the Cork junior team 2008,one game against Limerick,was dropped then for kerry.Was called up to the Cork panel ,didnt make it. Under Counihan in 2008.I dont believe he made the juniors many other times did he ??.What age is Curran ???i dont think he ever made u21 or minors.What next ,???we Call up Cathrach Keane,Tadhg O Shea Ballyclough,,Buckley of Clyda , Odhran Mulrooney etc

All fine players and talented within a certain club level ,but talented for Senior intercounty .I mentioned chris o Donovan ,played with various cork teams. As better than Andrew before and I was told he wasnt up it .He may not be ,i doubt he is,but as I said better than Andrew and certainly better than curran ,so much Bishoptown wanted him .

I ask the question to that poster,what credible evidence gives this player justification to be in contention ,what games etc?????
    Now top level games.
    The way some standards are ,every good decent club player should get a trial.For cork ,you must stand out from the rest ,in club games.He was solid yes but never stand out.

Denis O Sullivan just fell out of favour after that awful mess in clonakilty and was not picked again.That was sad to see ,Ballinscarty ,a parish that lived for football,i dont think it even has a church divided by football,like Newtown in the Hurling.
    There is never any winners in these
    affairs,everyone in one way or another loose out.

I brought up the point that Hugh Curran should have been more involved with senior squads previously and indeed with the current group. I have heard that he fell out with Counihan which is why he wasnt invovled for Counihan's reign.

None of the players you listed as as good a footballer as Curran is. Indeed O'Donovan is a midfielder and while Curran is a half forward naturally, Curran is also a better midfielder that O'Donovan, Butcher, O'Flynn or even Deane. Fiachra Lynch is the closest player listed that is comparable to him in my opinion. The U21 players often promoted as being the next best thing will have to prove that they are superior to the likes of Curran for me. I do not believe that at this present time the likes of MacEoin, Sugure would be better options on the senior panel than Curran and the same could be said for Colm & Barry O'Driscoll, even John Hayes.

You mentioned what games has he done it at, he has played at all Cork levels, on sigerson sides and has been to the forefront in the team of the Cork senior championship despite his club not being among the likely championship winners. If the Cork County Senior Football Championship is not a good enough standard to judge whether a player is deserving of a place on the County panel then what hope is there?

He is 28 years old maybe 29 now so his peak years are probably behind him but it doesnt excuse the fact that he was a player ignored by Counihan when he was at the time good enough to be involved. I would certainly have preferred him at half forward to Fintan Goold over those years.

Your opinion differs to mine and indeed others. You need to realise that as an opinion you are entitled to it like everyone else on the forum. That does not make it gospel however and your efforts to force it on everyone is what often leads to the conflict on here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement