Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

ballbag05 wrote: »
    Typical the gloriously defeatist attitude of Cork
    It has us where we are, Kk have us under their boot and all we can do is say how good losers we are, it's about winning at end of day my good man

Take a cold shower there,be a good man,and read my posts.Im the most harshet critic,second is nothing,winning is everything and dont do morale victories,im the roy keane,keith wood ,brian cody,davy fitz ,ruby walsh ,tony mccoy ,viewpoint winning is everything.

But have a bit oë morality.decenty when we talk about u16 hurlers playing in weather that you wouldnt walk your dog in

To say lads at that age are passengeqs is more oë a reëlection on you than the players.

You should realise lads that age are developing.
    Have a chat with the rock ,he was just average at that age.he developed hughely with coaching.

There was no passengers on either side but 34 heroes that gave top class hurling in awëul day

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭corkrobinhood

Chance lost for the footballers today,only themsleves to blame I feel,performance was very poor at times.

The handling errors,kick passing,the marking,they looked like a team that hadnt played together for a long time.

Way too many mistakes,Tyrone were very quick to close the Cork forwards down though when the ball came in,but dithering cost us time and time again.

Hurley is a fine player but why must he turn 3-4 times with every ball,hes killing himself and the attack,trying to walk the ball in,against blanket defences we struggle,we needed Colm and Donnacha there today from the start,kick on sight instead of slowing down the attack,just a shame we only had 1 of them.

Alot of poor performances on that team today,lads that normal stand up were not at the races.

Hanrahan bar the odd stray kickout had a good game,that save in the second half kept us in it,no doubt!

Cadogan was getting beaten far too easily until he went off injured,looks doubtful now for the Kerry game.
    Clancy from Clon,Coney took him apart in the first half,he recovered after that,I wonder does anyone know what his best position is.....
    Galvin once at the pace of the game was doing well,hes cursed with injuries.

Clancy from Fermoy was motoring well til the black card,something he'll have to watch come Championship,thats twice now in the league
    Shields I thought was our best defender,but he needs to watch taking the ball too far forward and getting caught on the counter
    Loughrey moped up as much ball as he always does,solid game

Midfield was destroyed.Simple as that. Cleaned out. Breaking the ball down for Tyrone men to run onto,never fought for the dirty ball.
    Fintan was better in the second half,but only off secondary ball,Colm O Driscoll helped in the last 15mins there,fighting for dirty ball,but same old failings,wont do at midfield.
    Andrew fought like he always does,but one moment in the second half summed it up for me,loose ball,Sean Cavanagh Tyrone midfielder ran onto it at same point as Andrew,yet accelerated away from Andrew and stuck it over the bar. He could field better than Andrew,had the pace and finished the move. We have none of those qualities. Big trouble come the Championship.

O Rourke was very disappointing for me today,too many errors,only played in fits and spurts,same with Collins.
    Kerrigan was causing awful bother to Tyrone back til he seemed to take a knock mid way through the 1st half and never recovered.

Goulding was very poor,but the blanket defence seemed to push him further out the field and he was trying to feed Hurley too much.

John Hayes started well but as always faded badly.

Subs Jamie Sull needs more game time,as does Kelly,you can see the brain is as sharp as ever with Kelly though.
    Barry O Driscoll fought well when he came on.

Lost of work needed ahead of the Kerry game.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Werent you the very one ,that said no Panic 3 weeks ago and twas just turn up on the day,and it just happens,more or less and we could go on last year reputations,despite. CLEAR ,Clear Evidence ,stating Clare and kk were ahead of us.You said my ridacolus statement ,that I said cats or tipp beat us out the gate.

Well,hurlers on dtich are just brillant .Run with the hare and chase with the hound.At least me ,im constant.There was clear problems ,and a trend in the games.

You see you may now accept what I was saying,going through motions in games ,and lethargic displays was useless to cork ,and the four poor games we had in an awful div 1b,even against an average tipp today cost us 20 minute start as we were of the pace.Make no misake ,we would beaten out the gate by cats and clare today

All I said was that I wouldn't panic when we didn't hammer Laois in **** conditions in a league game in February.

I also disagreed that Clare or Kilkenny would hammer us out the gate, I thought we would be competitive against them, I never said we'd beat them. Would you consider today a beating out the gate against Tipp? That's odd.

Just because I wasn't jumping up and down and ranting about the Cork county board and not having "warriors" etc etc doesn't mean I'm naive enough to think everything is rosy.

Things progress, and I would consider it reasonable to give a more thoughtful appraisal after a quarter final in May against Tipp as opposed to a league game against Laois in February. I never said anything about last years reputation either. My reference to last year was that I would find it unlikely to think that all of a sudden we would be hammered out the gate by teams we were competitive with last year. Clare beat Laois by 4 points today with Laois down to 14 men for quite a bit of the game. Why don't you go to the Clare forum and rant about them?

You contribute a lot to this forum, but I find your tone to be really out of order. You're extremely condescending and patronising to posters who aren't 100% in agreement with you too. You're chastising me now for saying that we have a lot to improve on just because I wouldn't proclaim our league a disaster? Come off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

Take a cold shower there,be a good man,and read my posts.Im the most harshet critic,second is nothing,winning is everything and dont do morale victories,im the roy keane,keith wood ,brian cody,davy fitz ,ruby walsh ,tony mccoy ,viewpoint winning is everything.

But have a bit oë morality.decenty when we talk about u16 hurlers playing in weather that you wouldnt walk your dog in

To say lads at that age are passengeqs is more oë a reëlection on you than the players.

You should realise lads that age are developing.
    Have a chat with the rock ,he was just average at that age.he developed hughely with coaching.

There was no passengers on either side but 34 heroes that gave top class hurling in awëul day

Totally agree. Was down in Fraher Field yesterday and it was a lottery. The Kilkenny lads got an 8pt lead at HT and it was always going to be hard to make it up in the 2nd half after the effort Midleton had expended. You cant be making harsh judgements on 14/15/16 yr old lads playing in their 1st All Ireland Final especially in horrendous conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ted2767

keane has to be taken ot of half,playing okay but exposed hughely pace in half back line to full back line
    Legane to 12
    Cronin o 14

Lawton take of woeful
    Cadogan must come on goals inside

Cahahale having stormer ,burke top man
    Egan turned up long way to go

Haughney doing okay

Harney a god,legend,a hero a Super player ,lost words world class

Nash thats job for begruders.Just the answer,makes me happy ,all kikenny begruders take that ha ha

Jesus Christ you're a wind bag.

Get over yourself man for the love of God.

• Advertisement

ted2767 wrote: »
    Jesus Christ you're a wind bag.

Get over yourself man for the love of God.

Thank you kindly.I know youre jealous of my knowlege.If you want to engage in menanimg ful defate,please do so -thats if you have the kowlege to do so ,rather than snipe at others without actually bring anything to the table yourself. thanks

Non opertaional,the differençe with is i dont accept or go along with abject poor displays.You cant as proven today just turn on and off as you please.We had zero intensity in four games,hence the slow start.

And yes im a brillant piece of work ,in you want honest,truthful,no barrels held back anaylis and realistic judgement of where Cork are at ,you always get it with me .Dont twist my post ,you have clearly be blown out of the water with your nonense view Cork were fine and dont panic.Did i ,post where i said,Cork be blown out the gate by tipp????your resorting to desperation now .I said this game be close,check .Reality ,wake up is what I said Cork Must do and said clare and cats beat us the gate.Cats beat as i said they would wexford handy in wexford,we stumbled at home .Honestly if we had clare or kk away ,at least a ten point defeat .

Are you serious.Clare ffs are All ireland champions ,destroyed that tipp team already and waterford beat cats,they had no interest hammering laois today such to inform you,cause you clearly havent got a clue,Clare had a huge heavy week of training ,and that was done to test them against laois as laois wouldnt be near clare.
    Davy had the balls worked clare all week.He will now taper down a bit for tipp.

He has a set program for clare training and when they saw it was laois had a huge workload this week.Dont cod yourselelf ,for me to go on the All ireland champions thread and tell them , they have problems,sorry now but i dont do clueless comments.Clare have nothing to worry bout ,cork have loads.

You couldnt see the concerns in laois game,the in ability to beat a sweeper,haughney and ellis poor ,and a team display void of any intent or energy .Im wasting my time trying to explain if you cant see the problems in that game that we had to at that at that junctuncre in time ,get a huge scoring difference.Clare had to just win today.If anything davy wanted that,as mark my words he all week will play it u,Clare got lucky against 14 man laois,and there underdogs against tipp and clare will need a performance just to compete ,and tipp are coming in to form ,and hes worried et etc.He wanted that today .He isnt worried regards tipp.He just. Worries regard hes team .

Today lad,was a poor tipp team dispilay and cork were beaten,and we got two soft goals .You FAil to realise ,that being at the same level as last year we wouldnt compete ,as Clare,kk will improve by at least 15 per cent.

I dont need you to tell me what i contribute here.I and the geuine lads know two well what i bring.
    What you may deem is a tone,or patrionising isnt lad,its im straight up,and if i see rubbish being spouted,i say it straight out,and dont beat around the bush.If Cork gaa had more of that-it would be second to no one and equal to a few.

.And typical,you hit the jackpot,when you make a slant of my warrior phrase and my criticisim county board.
    Yes im proud to say warrior ,as that what wins you all irelands buddy.
    Warriors not Altar boys wins you Senior intercounty All irelands.

And im not a yes man ,regards the county board if thats what you want me to be and blinded by a fancy graphic,artisic 67million dollar stadium on paper , or am I are more interested in what the restaurant,or the seating or the interent avaibility or conference faciiltes are like there etc ,Im far more interested in players welfare from u14 up ,and how we perform on the field of play and what we have in our trophy cabinet at the end of the day.Thats real value .A fancy stadium,but problems at all levels and a famine of success ,a sub standard underage system is no importance to me.
    Sucess on the field,then a stadium .
    I would swap with kilkenny ,smaller stadium to what they achieved on the field any day of the week .

As for today it was a game that we got wrong on the sideline,and tactially we are being constanly found out,and its not for lack of intetelligence on the line,but a refusal to play other than a free style .

Nash-super,great goal

Burke-awesome,great debut.Pace,hurling,great point .Great game

Cahalane-immense ,great game,but dualism hinder him.
    Joyce wasnt a corner back-soild though.Again brutal for hes confidence to play the man there.

Mclouhlin-was immense.Today shows why i 18 months advocatdm has to play 5 or a sweeper.

Keane-roasted two goals .Blameless as lacks packs and the water crystal game v ucc even showed that.Grew in to it,won clean aerial ball,but he unfortunately be made scapegoat .Full back or nothing.

Egan -awesome.Consitency all i want.Blew dyer physically out of the game,Warrior style

Kearney.-great energy,workrate,had good points,yes poor wides but vital to cork.

Haughney -not up to it .Fast hands are nothing without bravery and warrior style bravery and a hunger for battle.Fast on the draw ,useless to the cowboys in the wild west when as soon as they heard the war cry of the indians they ran for cover.

Lawton-wasnt in the races.I could be ist time in a long while wrong on a player.A fan of him ,but very poor in hes games .Completly down the pecking order.

Harnedy-immortal,warrior,guts,intent,intelligence,now going for goals and today bring the man on hughely as he will be like a kilkenny forward in may,he will go for goals ,and could be like reid or fennelly bag a hatrick some day .

Do you ever notice then cork are in a hole,he no ense else single handley drags us by the scruff of the neck out of it .

Against Clare in june,at vital times in june,limerick when we had wide after wide in ist half munster final,kilkenny when we went ten minttes without a point ,Clare the ist score in the replay and drawn game for team to settle ,the moment where dived for the ball and put heshead in where a boot was flying to lay a vital point for kearney ,the point 50 minutes four down,he beat two clare men won a puckout ,and then scored a crucial point.

The goal against clare to level in the replay.Against wexford,5 crucial points,crucial times,when he didnt scordm ,like today ,he threw the body around,worked hard of the ball,roared at hes teamates ,and fought for every single ball like hes life depeneded on it .

Today he got two goals,won a load of ball and but for egan ,lorchan and him,beaten out the great.Immortal.A guranteed all star.He is,has to be Captain next year/or nash.Cronin wnt be.
    Every game he plays make Ger fitz look foolish.Take a bow ger fitz,the manager that wouldnt even give thelad a sub role,not one minute at u21.The greatest injustice of recent years.And harnedy was known as a talent them.Ask mark landers.

Cronin,poor touch,cruelly exposed for pace.Grew in to it ,but has to full forward or no where.Wasted at half back towards the end and a truly woeful call.Did we learn anything waterford 2013 or clare in the league.

Couhlan,gamely fought ,but not a 15 but today we had no other choice.Should of been at 10 ,and lawton taken of after 20 minutes.Were far far too slow to make changes.

Horgan,very good,worked hard,and great points,had one bad free wide,but he is a real leader.
    Lehane ,mixed bag,again managenent are f**king around and he will be the Keith earls of cork hurling,a jack of all trades ,master of none unless we play and leave him at 10, or 12.Awful see a talent wasted at 14, for spells and a man with no pace in cronin miles out the field

Like driving a tractor i on a motorway and a ferrari on country roads,like Lehane,engine roaring for road but no where to go .Madness.

O shea,was good but like cadogan too late as subs.Cian mac was a poor call,inta game of pace,we bring the lad ont,and michel sull twiddles hes thumbs.

Huge huge worries in championship.Should beat waterford in orthdox game,but if a waterford play a sweeper we can be beaten.And I think jbm will stick to last year team ,macie at 3 and lorchan at 9 and we are going to gej ,annihlated by clare if we meet them

That limerick game as well as I said before and after it is athuge confidence blow to us ,and a panel starved oftsuccess at any grade ,any age ,cant win big games and jbm and co picked wrong team for limerick as I said in my preview ,and thus we paid the price then ,but now are still paying it ,as the inability to beat top teams in our last four games ,clare twice,limerickt,and tipp today have drained any belief and confidence we had.The saving grace is Waterford are relagated have the same problems howerver they have new management were in year 3 of a 3 year plan .

Oh wait ,sorry dont worry ,its just the league.We are Cork,Mushrooms and sunshine.

Football

Hanahrahn-great debut ,made great save .Wont blame him for kickouts,as you cant blame him he had no targets .You cant drive a car without a steering wheel .

Clancy -okay tried hard and soild,isnt like i said a corner or full.Jamie is back,so we dont need to have the lad there.

Cadogan-poor,ankle injury a problem.Needs rest yet we want the lad dualism .Wow ,great ,where elese would we get it.Brainstorming .

Should be 3.He if fit ,is ëine.
    Galvin shaky start ,grew in to it.Injured then .Injury prone ,i hope he isnt as he could make it .
    Loughrey-good,soild ,and conanding.
    Shields super at 6 but we robbed the rich to give to the poor.Our full bçk line needs him ,and thats why i was never a fan of the lad in here at 6.Jameso donughue got 4-5 play up to today,wiuh a midëield that will lord it against us ,shields has to play there as if we dont and and play dorman or clancy at 3 if cad is out,we will at least çoncede 3 goals in tralee

Clancy-harsh black card in what tyrone done.Will be better.

Gould-poor ist halë,super 2nd half,great block down in the end ,unlucky with thda gkast shot hit post.If he was cons4stent,what a player.He isnt though.

Andrew o sullivan -great work rate ,etc.

Poor ,poor in the basic concepts of midfield play .Truly awful ,laoire got no game time.Shocking,and disgraceful.

Colm o drisçoll ,good point but beaten twice to the ball ,too indecisve not up to that leavel.

Barry o driscoll-as said tuesday should started and got a chance today,did well ,great point and great work rate of the ball .Must start against kerry and if he does okay then a panel place.
    O rourke,great work rate,always helped the defence ,and hes great run that made kerrgan great goal.Quiet in attack but had a good game.

Kerrigan-awesome on and off the ball,as i last niht said ,would roast harte,and did that .Great goal.Baffling he was taken of by cuthbhert

Collins-worked hard,linked up well,always in defence and showed for the ball.Soild.
    Goulding-had a poor game ,but he is as proven reliable big games

Hurley yes over done it,hoewer great points,worked hard of the ball ,and always making runs .He is super player

Hayes-usal,great point,threatened to be great,all flashy Dan stuff,never chased hes man like hurley or barry o driscoll in a great chase to win the ball back from hes man ,and when the Need was greatest at crucial time to put us 4 up missed a sitter.Yes 5 up start 2nd half great man to score .
    Has at best and thats a push in the league been good .But not better than others.Surlely others can see that.

Colm-superb goal ,great 1-2 a man ravaged by injury ,and not match fit and a tough 2 weeks wit h (the tragedy in hes fanily rip )he has done more than anyone dreamed or expected of ,and hayes doesnt come in to asses roar of him ,and Doc is ahead of hayes .Çolm your a Great,real real ,i mean great player of Cork football .

cronin,too late to judge .

Jamie sul,great display-give the lad a start next week and he will improve.

Kelly -awesome,block for a certain goal.Great kickpass4ng and awarness and reading.Seen as laoire wnt get a start,kelly got to start at 9 with walsh if fit

He played there at minor and u21.At least he win you breaking ball.

A semifinal guaranteed but a home semi final up for grabs .Vital,as we wont beat dublin again in croke park or mayo away and derry would beat us in derry .

The wheels very much çoming of the cork bus and man.gements inexpierence and lack of taçtial nous çoming to the fore ,as today we coudnt beat a blanket defence,and between games with dorman at 3.mcloughlin getting 5 games before the penney dropped,Sullivan ist name ahead of Deane and now Laoire,the taking of kerrigan today the total chopping and changhpng of half back when is not helped by a midfield they exonerate ,and Hayes getting too many chances ,the failure to realise dualism is hindering the team badly ,means i have huge reservations about the management team,as i have no problem them making. Mistkaes,its the Repeated mistakes over and over is a huge worry .

Westmeath and kildare ,two poor teams as time has çome to show ,and ul,lit,a poor kerrnw ,those games are worth taking with a pinch of salt,a large dose.

Dublin was a super super result ,bv lessons havent been learnt since.
    Derry could beaten us and we were haunted to win in the end .Yes derry are a fine team ,but hardly top 4 and if we had them in celtic park,i think we were beaten .
    Mayo ,beat us out the gate ,and 13 up with 20 to go took the gas of ,and if they had one other forward could got 6 goals .

Today we ,bar indivudal brillance of Colm and Paul were in real trouble.
    If we dont get the midfield çorrect,i doubt they will,kerry will beat us .Yes mayo beat derry and at home they will,kerry cant get a semifinal but kerry will want to beat us in kerry and a statement of intent and with a way more shreweder management and expierence team ,and a midfield ,with even good subs i think we could struggle badly .

A lot depends on the team picked but whats clearly been a mixed bag in selections overall ,i am not inspired by tuesdays selection of a team .we are haunted by being in a munster final we are if beaten ,one game away from a qualfer ,but if have to go to navan and play meath(i said it december would be a serious team ,as modern game suits them ,)we would have a huge ask.Wallce is a huge loss to them but O dowd is a very good young coach building a good team .

If we do get to a Semifinal v Mayo ,we wont come within 5 points unless we sort midfield.
    But to do that management must
    Accept we have problems here,that aera could be the rock this talented team perish on .And I dont believe or buy Cuthbherts view if we get to august anything can happen.Again you must Make it Happen and Control the Controlabes.All our problems are fixable,like under Counihan.Time will tell if Cuthbhert and co do that .The honey moon is over,lost to Mayo and drew a game we should of won .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

thinkstoomuch - how about you just give your opinion on matters related to Cork football and leave it at that? I have a real interest in reading about how rivals to my own county are fairing. However, I can do without all the personal commentary about yourself and personal remarks directed at other posters. If you knock it off, perhaps you will find that others will too.

Chance lost for the footballers today,only themsleves to blame I feel,performance was very poor at times.

The handling errors,kick passing,the marking,they looked like a team that hadnt played together for a long time.

Way too many mistakes,Tyrone were very quick to close the Cork forwards down though when the ball came in,but dithering cost us time and time again.

Hurley is a fine player but why must he turn 3-4 times with every ball,hes killing himself and the attack,trying to walk the ball in,against blanket defences we struggle,we needed Colm and Donnacha there today from the start,kick on sight instead of slowing down the attack,just a shame we only had 1 of them.

Alot of poor performances on that team today,lads that normal stand up were not at the races.

Hanrahan bar the odd stray kickout had a good game,that save in the second half kept us in it,no doubt!

Cadogan was getting beaten far too easily until he went off injured,looks doubtful now for the Kerry game.
    Clancy from Clon,Coney took him apart in the first half,he recovered after that,I wonder does anyone know what his best position is.....
    Galvin once at the pace of the game was doing well,hes cursed with injuries.

Clancy from Fermoy was motoring well til the black card,something he'll have to watch come Championship,thats twice now in the league
    Shields I thought was our best defender,but he needs to watch taking the ball too far forward and getting caught on the counter
    Loughrey moped up as much ball as he always does,solid game

Midfield was destroyed.Simple as that. Cleaned out. Breaking the ball down for Tyrone men to run onto,never fought for the dirty ball.
    Fintan was better in the second half,but only off secondary ball,Colm O Driscoll helped in the last 15mins there,fighting for dirty ball,but same old failings,wont do at midfield.
    Andrew fought like he always does,but one moment in the second half summed it up for me,loose ball,Sean Cavanagh Tyrone midfielder ran onto it at same point as Andrew,yet accelerated away from Andrew and stuck it over the bar. He could field better than Andrew,had the pace and finished the move. We have none of those qualities. Big trouble come the Championship.

O Rourke was very disappointing for me today,too many errors,only played in fits and spurts,same with Collins.
    Kerrigan was causing awful bother to Tyrone back til he seemed to take a knock mid way through the 1st half and never recovered.

Goulding was very poor,but the blanket defence seemed to push him further out the field and he was trying to feed Hurley too much.

John Hayes started well but as always faded badly.

Subs Jamie Sull needs more game time,as does Kelly,you can see the brain is as sharp as ever with Kelly though.
    Barry O Driscoll fought well when he came on.

Lost of work needed ahead of the Kerry game.....
    Great post .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I give up.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry, I suppose you're passionate anyway. I'll give you that!

• Advertisement

ProudDUB wrote: »
    thinkstoomuch - how about you just give your opinion on matters related to Cork football and leave it at that? I have a real interest in reading about how rivals to my own county are fairing. However, I can do without all the personal commentary about yourself and personal remarks directed at other posters. If you knock it off, perhaps you will find that others will too.

You had nothing say re the poster that called me a windbag for no reason I posted views at half time.

Practice what you preach with me to others if your that concerned in it being gaa talk

I have only one interest lad,gaa.I havent or dont post on other forums threads bar gaa here.
    People are fast enough ,to swipe at me,and you dont mind.

As you said ,keep it gaa please.Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Yes, this is a GAA forum, so football should be all that is discussed here.

You are not doing that. You are constantly talking about what kind of a person you are. You are constantly talking about what kind of people other posters are. If you weren't doing it so much, I would need to be asking this. But you do, so I am.

Yes, this is a GAA forum, so football should be all that is discussed here.

You are not doing that. You are constantly talking about what kind of a person you are. You are constantly talking about what kind of people other posters are. If you weren't doing it so much, I would need to be asking this. But you do, so I am.

Wrong,sorry now ,Its cork gaa,that equates to hurling,also,camoige,and ladies football and for soenone that goes to all games men an women,i will talk regards them.
    Men and women,huriling and football are equal to me thank you.As i

Football is Not or never will be the sole topic regards cork gaa.
    And as I said dont single me out please.Tell those that snipe at me too.Have the last word,im not engaging you lad.Talk Gaa,not just football and I weclome it.thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

He is trying to talk about GAA.It's a clique of 4 or 5 posters.A Tipp man, a Kerry man (and by the looks of things a Dub) and a few Cork posters who get offended with his straight talking posting style that are getting personal and bringing old grudges to the table.The man has a right to defend himself.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭North Cork Star

An eventful day for both the Cork Hurlers and Footballers! We can take a lot of positives from both the hurling and football games today. Both squads are setting themselves up nicely for the championship. If we nurse a few of those injuries and up the intensity in time for the summer I am happy with that.

Great game today in Thurles to be fair. I have to take my hat off to both teams. Tipp seem to be back in business again. Cork turned over a 10 point deficit playing some brilliant hurling at times.

Nash - fantastic as usual, even bigger lift for his 21 yard free and buried it into the goal... hope to see more of it. Also his distribution of the ball was top class.
    Joyce - put in a good performance in fairness, maybe a bit loose at times but picked up a lot of ball.
    Cahalane - I hope to see more of him. Happy with his performance today, only to get better. Has the strength and pace.
    Burke - he put in a good hour for himself. Got drifted out but didn't do much wrong on the ball and scored a point.
    Keane - has the hurling but lacking pace again... as others have suggested, full back might suit him better.
    Egan - our most consistent player in the league. He looked to have got stronger and he swept up a lot of ball. He blocked down a few balls and striking is good.
    McLoughlin - he got caught with slow striking on a few occasions but I have to say half back suits him better, he can see more of what is going on and pick up lots of ball.
    Kearney - like Egan, very consistent and he covers some ground to be fair and got a couple of nice scores for his efforts.
    Haughney - he has good hurling but lacking in tenacity and power when it comes to the crunch of championship.
    Lawton - he was off the pace today. Got bottled up on a few occasions. We will see if he will have better days.
    Harnedy - outstanding getting the two goals and won some high balls... drifted in and out of the game at times but happy over all with his presence on the field.
    Cronin - hurling is slow and got shown up a couple of times today. Put in a good effort at the same time to be fair.
    Horgan - again got some lovely scores and good to see him getting the goal like that again showing his instinct. Quiet at times again should be fed with more quality ball.
    Lehane - we saw glimpses of the real star today... better at wing forward using his lightening quick pace and accurate striking.
    Coughlan - happy with his performance today, worked hard, got three nice points.

Work to do but quietly in a good position for championship. I am hoping it will be like last years championship in that hoping we can get a win over Waterford that we can build as the year goes on and get into our prime at the right time!

In the football, saw most of the game on telly. Shields more suited to full back, quietened an on form Coney in the second half. O'Neill scored a spectacular goal. Good to see Kelly back playing well enough.
    They are now qualified for the semi final of the league.

Over all, we can take the positives from both these games into the lead up to the championship!

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ted2767

Thank you kindly.I know youre jealous of my knowlege.If you want to engage in menanimg ful defate,please do so -thats if you have the kowlege to do so ,rather than snipe at others without actually bring anything to the table yourself. thanks

I would engage in a debate with you but personally I feel that there is little point as you seem to be incapable of accepting somebody else's point of view.

And yes we all know (cause you never stop telling us) how many games you go to and how passionate about Cok GAA you are but frankly you come across as a bully and a bore who probably is too in love with the sound of your own voice.

Now I'm not going to waste my time with you anymore as your opinions don't interest me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

Dont get to many in league games with family and work but got to the tyrone game yesterday.first I posed a question on here a few months back about wether the 6 retirees went or were pushed and from the style of football yesterday they werre let go.I thought ye were being hard on andrew sullivan but from what I saw I think ye were right.john hayes is a very talented footballer but in my opinion his problem is its all about him ,he wats to concentrate on his own game rather than the teams performance .I found it strange that tyrone played so many short kickouts given their potential at midfield but that seems to be their system.ill dtick my neck out and say that fintan gould should be given the number 9 shirt if he dosent make it there , nowhere else. I m not saying he is the best but he has suffered for being fired in wing foward in an effort to help out mid field and in the absences of deane he seems to be as good as whats around.thought tom clon did ok considering that coney has some rader for the posts on him and didnt notice galvin much but he showed some bravery in standing up in that challenge.given the change in the whole set up im happy enough but there is still along way to go

ted2767 wrote: »
    I would engage in a debate with you but personally I feel that there is little point as you seem to be incapable of accepting somebody else's point of view.

And yes we all know (cause you never stop telling us) how many games you go to and how passionate about Cok GAA you are but frankly you come across as a bully and a bore who probably is too in love with the sound of your own voice.

Now I'm not going to waste my time with you anymore as your opinions don't interest me.

Gas, lad is the only forum I have posted on here,dont post anywhere elese ,.

,most of what I say ,has been true regards posters and many posters say the same.Even said today by a great poster ,that he was a fan of andrew ,and he felt people were hard on him ,but time has showed otherwise.Fair play to that poster.
    I get criticised by many just as I go against grain.And its not arrogrance but ,again time has proved I was right .

What begs belief,is when a post regards u16 hurlers, being passengers in the worst weather known to man was said here on saturday ,people choose to igore.Yet they claim to be full of ethics and morality .Yet I was the one with two others,only 3 that stood up for the young lads

As soon as I criticse (not personal,field play)say a and b are not up to it,i get abuse left right and centre ,and am asked why do I criticse then or what do I have against them.

That is when I defend myself.People view is with certain players and they offended when there criticised.

I have criticised two players here con7tantly yet many here and now have said there not up to it.

When I done that for ages I stood alone yet people thought I was harsh ,and asked stupid questions what I had against then and paint a picture of me ,just cause I dont go with sub standard lads at senior intercounty for cork .

Whether there from castlematyr,city,west cork ,haven ,north cork to me.means nothing.People if they lost there club bias here wouldnt get offended as much if a player was crticised .

Thanks ,telling me ,you think in boring etc and you ignore my views.
    I look forward reading your posts re cork and giving us invaluable information re cork at all grades.

with such great people like you posting such info I wonder why I post any info myself re cork.Id be lost without you .But I tell you what ,i take a back seat now for a while,and wont post here ,i wont post the report I was going to do re Cork u21 challenge match in hurling tonight or the other games I going to during the week .Work away ,now you and the rest ,post away ,ye dont want me to post ,ye do better .

On a final note
    As regards Midelton players,it shows what tremendous young lads they truly are ,as this week in croke park represting the school in an all ireland schools project.Some that played are involved

Point is ,shows how much credit they deserve for they display against a great kilkenny team ,yet they had a huge academic week also.

Those players deserve credit and not criticisim they recieved.
    Some here that preach ethics and morailty saw nothing wrong with that.

To the geuine posters here keep up great work ,and I will read yere views and may be back soon.
    Rebels abu .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Surprised ye didn't get the win in the football yesterday. On paper looked to have a far stronger team although Walsh was a huge loss in midfield in fairness. Would it be fair to say there's a slight dearth of defensive options there at the moment?

Cadogan went off injured again yesterday I see. Whatever about Walsh, that man needs to get himself sorted and concentrate on one game IMO. Can't be going through a year half injured like he did last year. Is Cahalane going to link up with the football at any stage or is there a confirmed decision to concentrate on hurling? Could do with him at the moment probably. He looked in decent shape in the hurling yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Right, there are a few posters in particular who cannot seem to stop themselves from childishly sniping at each other.

ted2767, calling someone a "windbag" does not help discussion and debate, so cut it out. Other posters are guilty of this too so this warning applies to everyone.

thinkstoomuch1, the same goes for you. Your attitude of looking down on others' opinions (for example here and here) over the last week or so is becoming tiresome. If you have a problem with the way a person is conducting themselves with you, then simply report the post. There's no need for the "holier-than-thou" attitude as it only serves to escalate the situation.

I have no problem in issuing infractions and/or bans if this continues.
    If anyone has any queries, then PM me. Don't discuss it on thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭slingerz

Cahalane's injury is such that the recommendation is to use the hurling matches to improve the fitness while it is considered the demands of intercounty football will be too severe on the injury at this point.

Interesting the critiscism of the midfield position on here. Cuthbert on the paper today lauding the contribution of Fintan Goold and telling supporters that they need to back him rather than be on his back so much. Personally I dont see what he has done to deserve the support really

slingerz wrote: »
    Cahalane's injury is such that the recommendation is to use the hurling matches to improve the fitness while it is considered the demands of intercounty football will be too severe on the injury at this point.

Interesting the critiscism of the midfield position on here. Cuthbert on the paper today lauding the contribution of Fintan Goold and telling supporters that they need to back him rather than be on his back so much. Personally I dont see what he has done to deserve the support really

I was told by a few guys who were there yesterday that Goold actually did ok, especially in the second half but that O'Sullivan had little effect...that's second hand now, but these lads know their stuff. Walsh is a massive loss in fairness, but if Goold doesn't cut it, what other options are out there? O'Laoire isn't up to the physicality of it yet. Deane is actually a huge loss really. Think he would have been a definite starter.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

I was told by a few guys who were there yesterday that Goold actually did ok, especially in the second half but that O'Sullivan had little effect...that's second hand now, but these lads know their stuff. Walsh is a massive loss in fairness, but if Goold doesn't cut it, what other options are out there? O'Laoire isn't up to the physicality of it yet. Deane is actually a huge loss really. Think he would have been a definite starter.
    Does anyone think Loughrey could do a job in midfield for Cork. He's very mobile, intelligent, and can attack at pace and score the odd point. It wouldn't be ideal, but I think it's a possibility as he's got a good balance between attack/defence.

Archer3083 wrote: »
    Does anyone think Loughrey could do a job in midfield for Cork. He's very mobile, intelligent, and can attack at pace and score the odd point. It wouldn't be ideal, but I think it's a possibility as he's got a good balance between attack/defence.

Well against the likes of Cian O'Sullivan for example it wouldn't be the craziest idea in the world...but most midfielders would tower above him in the air, so can't see it being a runner in most games.

Well against the likes of Cian O'Sullivan for example it wouldn't be the craziest idea in the world...but most midfielders would tower above him in the air, so can't see it being a runner in most games.
    I think that's probably fair enough. I suppose alot of counties have defenders that are skillful/comfortable on the ball that could be converted to midfield players but it's not always the best option.

Archer3083 wrote: »
    I think that's probably fair enough. I suppose alot of counties have defenders that are skillful/comfortable on the ball that could be converted to midfield players but it's not always the best option.

Loughrey wouldn't be more than 5'10 would he? That's just my estimate from having seen him play 3/4 times..sometimes that view can be deceptive though. In any case, like I said, don't think it's a realistic option and think Cork need him badly in defence in any case.

Loughrey wouldn't be more than 5'10 would he? That's just my estimate from having seen him play 3/4 times..sometimes that view can be deceptive though. In any case, like I said, don't think it's a realistic option and think Cork need him badly in defence in any case.
    I'd say that's about it, can't see him being any taller than that. And yes he's badly needed in defence. We're very lucky that he moved down from Antrim. Natural midfielders are very hard to come by in the modern game. There's just so much expected from modern midfielders in terms of skills, physicality, winning first time ball and dirty ball, strength, power, pace, intelligence, distribution, and scoring. It's probably the the most demanding position on the field

• Registered Users Posts: 9 joey59

What our hurlers need imo is a centre back and full back. I don't think Shane O' Neill is tight enough for full back and is wasted in the corner. Equally Eoin Cadogan. I'd like to see them as the two wing backs with Joyce in the middle. The problem with that is it would leave our full back line looking light.

Cian O' Sullivan did well in the corner last year but its a bit early to throw Cahalane in there and I'm not convinced with McDonnell. We can attack and score with the best of them, its holding out at the other end for ten minutes to stem the tide is where we are falling down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭slingerz

I reckon Goold/Walsh will be the starting championship midfield to be honest but I wouldnt be suprised to see Cahalane out there either should he be injury free at the time.

I think Cahalane is a tailored made centre back in all honesty though

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement