Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,883 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Pity paddy kelly wasn't available to try at midfield. He has vision and is a great passer of the ball , a real link man. Himself and Walsh might not be a bad partnership given how stuck we are, we have a spare forward or two so he wouldn't be a loss there.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Pity paddy kelly wasn't available to try at midfield. He has vision and is a great passer of the ball , a real link man. Himself and Walsh might not be a bad partnership given how stuck we are, we have a spare forward or two so he wouldn't be a loss there.
    That's a pretty good suggestion. He went into the half backs yesterday, so he's versatile and a very hard worker. I think you could play him anywhere in the middle 3rd, either half forwards, midfield or half backs.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭sean mac

gould was good yesterday and fair play to the man has been on the go a long time. Patrick Kelly with the strength of our forwards needs to be considered for centre back or midfield - he has the vision, ability, pace and intelligence to do very well in either position imo

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭corkrobinhood

I'd leave Loughrey exactly where he is.

The damage we've done to teams this year from direct running and quick kick passing,alot of it has stemmed from our half back line.

We're caught for midfielders,that was always going to be the case when Nicholas and Pierce and Alan left,Gould can do a job for the moment but we need an out and out ball winner there,a true fielder of a booming kickout,a man to pull the ball from the air.

And im afraid to say since O Connor left I havent seen one fill that role yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Lads, seeing as I don't see a Tyrone thread, I'll ask here.

What did ye make of Kyle Coney yesterday and Tyrone in general?

• Advertisement

Thought he played very well in the first half,had his marker under all sorts of pressure,then again his starting marker Clancy,no1 seems to know his best position!

His long range point kicking and accuracy was spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Thought he played very well in the first half,had his marker under all sorts of pressure,then again his starting marker Clancy,no1 seems to know his best position!

His long range point kicking and accuracy was spot on.

Did ye move Shields on to him in the second half? I was calling for this from my armchair. It looked like this from watching on the TV, but I wasn't sure.

Yeah he did,cut out the diagonal ball coming into him,was on his shoulder for the rest of the game,very tight marking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭lukin

Kerry v Cork has been moved from Tralee to Killarney on Garda advice (there's a rally in Tralee).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

lukin wrote: »
    Kerry v Cork has been moved from Tralee to Killarney on Garda advice (there's a rally in Tralee).
    Sweet, might try make it down for it if I'm able/around

Much prefer matches in Fitzgerald stadium

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭slingerz

D'Agger wrote: »
    Sweet, might try make it down for it if I'm able/around

Much prefer matches in Fitzgerald stadium

Excellent news that it has been switched. Much more appealing for a travelling Cork crowd now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Horse84

CORK SENIOR FOOTBALL TEAM TO PLAY KERRY 01/04/2014
    The Cork Senior Football team to play Kerry in the Allianz League on Sunday at 3pm in Tralee will line out as follows:

1. Ken O’Halloran (Bishopstown)
    2. Michael Shields (Captain – St. Finbarr’s)
    3. Jamie O’Sullivan (Bishopstown)
    4. Tom Clancy (Clonakilty)
    5. James Loughrey (Mallow)
    6. Patrick Kelly (Ballincollig)
    7. Damien Cahalane (Castlehaven)
    8. Fintan Goold (Macroom)
    9. Andrew O’Sullivan (Castletownbere)
    10. Colm O’Driscoll (Tadhg MacCárthaigh)
    11. Mark Collins (Castlehaven)
    12. John O’Rourke (Carbery Rangers)
    13. Barry O’Driscoll (Nemo Rangers)
    14. Brian Hurley (Castlehaven)
    15. John Hayes (Carbery Rangers)

Subs
    16. David Hanrahan (Douglas)
    17. Alan Cronin (Nemo Rangers)
    18. John McLoughlin (Kanturk)
    19. Kevin O’Driscoll (Tadhg MacCárthaigh)
    20. Tomás Clancy (Fermoy)
    21. Rory O’Sullivan (Argideen Rangers)
    22. Micheál O Laoire (Naomh Abán)
    23. Daniel Goulding (Éire Óg)
    24. Paul Kerrigan (Nemo Rangers)
    25. Donncha O’Connor (Ballydesmond)
    26. Colm O’Neill (Ballyclough)

There are six changes to the team ahead of the Kerry game. Ken O’Halloran returns to the number one slot ahead of David Hanrahan, while the injured Eoin Cadogan is replaced by Jamie O’Sullivan, who gets his first start of the season. Michael Shields moves back to the full back line, while Noel Galvin is also out through injury. In a new-look half back line, Damien Cahalane gets a first football start of the season, having featured for the Cork hurlers against Tipperary last Sunday, and Patrick Kelly takes up the centre back position, with Tomás Clancy on the bench. Paul Kerrigan is replaced in the half forward line by Colm O’Driscoll, while Barry O’Driscoll comes in at corner forward ahead of Daniel Goulding.

Aidan Walsh, Eoin Cadogan, Donal Óg Hodnett, Ruairi Deane and Noel Galvin were not considered due to injury. Ruairi will revisit his surgeon on April 7th for an update on his injury, and Seán Dineen (Castlehaven) has joined the panel in his place.

Will Paddy Kelly and Cahalane line out as selected on the day? Cuthbert isn't noted for dummy line-ups. It will be interesting to see Paddy Kelly at centre-back, he's going to put some serious pressure on whoever Kerry play at centre-forward because of his own attacking threat. That would be a very interesting ploy against an attacking team like Mayo or Dublin later in the championship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

I'm surprised Sean Dineen has been added. I didn't think he'd take it on due to the workload he has on. He usually doesn't start training with Castlehaven until mid April any year.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭BobBobBobBob

I heard Stephan White is dropped from the hurling panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭lukin

It now seems the Kerry Cork game is on in Tralee and has NOT been switched to Killarney. A particularly unfunny April's fool joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Nash Bridges

Was there a paring down of the panel numbers for championship or was it only White?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

This place is awful quiet.Hopefully Thinkstoomuch will come back and stop getting so upset by the people that have issues with him.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

This place is awful quiet.Hopefully Thinkstoomuch will come back and stop getting so upset by the people that have issues with him.
    At least the absence of Thinkstoomuch as allowed a few others to post on here. It's nice to strike the right balance. I'm sure he'll come back, and be a little calmer, but it's certainly better to have more than one viewpoint. This probably isn't the place to discuss this topic as it's not just something that affects Cork GAA, but what do people think of the new deal with SKY. I'm in favour of the deal. It won't affect any of the provincial finals or All-Ireland semifinals and finals. So, Munster finals will still be available on RTE if Cork reach both this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I've had as much of an issue with him (ttm) as anyone but I hope he hasn't cleared off for good.

Interesting to hear about White. I wonder will Nagle be called up to replace him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

Good win for UCC tonight v CIT in the first round of the SFC. Last minute goal for UCC sealed it. 1-12 to CIT's 1-09. Handful of people at it, pairc ui rinn.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭rughug

We will all be happy if the money from Garth Brooks and SKY does in fact filter down to the grassroots but will it. Ask any u8. u10; coach in the county and being involved actually costs money. Phone bills .petrol costs etc. This latest development is not good as the elite players will now look at pay for play. In all fairness not one concert in Croker but 6 is pure unadulterated greed. But maybe Proinnsias will get his greasypaws on a good bit of that wedge for his Bertie bowl by the Lee.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Blue Magic

That's a surprising call considering that he was close to starting in the AI Final last year by all accounts.

I never hugely rated him personally though

Big news lads
    http://www.eveningecho.ie/2014/04/03/murphy-white-depart-hurling-panel/
    Killian Murphy, Stephen White, mickey sull and Spillane all gone, in come cooper, Cormac Murphy, killian Burke

Cuthbert to meet jbm re dual players to discuss how it's going, I think it could be the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭slingerz

Killian Murphy, Michael Sullivan & Colm Spillane also gone from panel as Bill Cooper and Cormac Murphy come into the panel.

Interesting to note that Cathal Vaughan didnt line out for CIT v UCC last night, doesnt bode well ahead of the U21 final

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

**** knows what Killian Murphy has done to deserve to be dropped.

Thought Colm Spillane (and Patrick O'Mahony) were going to make it a couple of years back, unfortunately looks like they haven't improved much since Minor and both lack a touch of pace.

It's very strange with killian Murphy alright, is killian bourke that much better?
    Also mickey sull is being hard done by, he didn't get any chance last year and I think he offers more than cian mac. I do welcome coopers return

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Cian MacCarthy offers something off the bench tbf. Micheal O'Sullivan has been on the panel for a year plus, they obviously feel he, Colm Spillane and Stephen White aren't up to this level. I'd rate Killian Murphy ahead of Burke, who for me lacks pace.

They've been good at giving lads chances, and starting lads that have shown up well in training, so I think you have to trust their judgement (unlike past managements).

Yea I agree about killian Murphy, but I dunno about mickey sull, you say they're good to give fellas chances but he hasn't been given that much of a chance if u ask me. I'd like to see him given a chance in championship or against tipp the last day even he surely might've offered more than Lawton.
    Cian mac has been around a long time and he's a good hurler but jes on hard ground on the summer it's no good to ya if u can't get around the pitch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Who would be favourites to win the county football championship in Cork at this stage?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement