Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭sean mac

Horse84 wrote: »
    Big news lads
    http://www.eveningecho.ie/2014/04/03/murphy-white-depart-hurling-panel/
    Killian Murphy, Stephen White, mickey sull and Spillane all gone, in come cooper, Cormac Murphy, killian Burke

Cuthbert to meet jbm re dual players to discuss how it's going, I think it could be the end of it.

Not a hope horse, he is meeting him out work out the training periods for the next number of weeks.
    Colm spillane is cursed with injuries but very surprised with killian murphy being dropped, while burke did fine the other day murphy was starting all the league games until then

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

keane2097 wrote: »
    Who would be favourites to win the county football championship in Cork at this stage?

I suppose the usual like - Castlehaven, Nemo and a divisional side?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Duhallow will rattle it..have Newmarket players back this year. Would have given Carbery a big chance but Deane is a massive loss for them.

Haven will be hard to beat in fairness. Don't fancy Nemo if their management is as naive as they were last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

Duhallow will rattle it..have Newmarket players back this year. Would have given Carbery a big chance but Deane is a massive loss for them.

Haven will be hard to beat in fairness. Don't fancy Nemo if their management is as naive as they were last year.

Duhallow wont perform this year. Walsh usually disinterested so can only imagine now that he is with hurlers he might not even tog out.

Deco99 wrote: »
    Duhallow wont perform this year. Walsh usually disinterested so can only imagine now that he is with hurlers he might not even tog out.

Think they'll give a good account of themselves still..they have quite a bit of training done already I'm told and are in good nick. They were terrible last year and got hammered by Carbery (a game in which Walsh was awful) but think they will do a lot better this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

Think they'll give a good account of themselves still..they have quite a bit of training done already I'm told and are in good nick. They were terrible last year and got hammered by Carbery (a game in which Walsh was awful) but think they will do a lot better this year.

If they get out of divisional round and get some momentum then they may prove me wrong. But that performance against carbery last year stings the nostrils. Whens first games on?

Deco99 wrote: »
    If they get out of divisional round and get some momentum then they may prove me wrong. But that performance against carbery last year stings the nostrils. Whens first games on?

Well Duhallow have Imokilly bank holiday Monday, which will be a massacre. Carbery v Avondhu the day after will be a little more interesting given Colm O'Neill will be back for Avondhu. Clyda lads are a big loss for them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭corkrobinhood

Cant understand how Jamie Nagle isnt getting his chance on that Cork panel?

Way too early aswell to be calling a winner for the football Championship,theres some many second and third chances these days its ruined!

Cant understand how Jamie Nagle isnt getting his chance on that Cork panel?

Way too early aswell to be calling a winner for the football Championship,theres some many second and third chances these days its ruined!

Well its better than the old system where you had clubs training from October to May for 1 game if they lost. Nobody gives a crap about the Kelleher shield so they had to try to give at least a few meaningful games to teams. How else are teams/players meant to develop?

The colleges/divisions section is knockout this year aswell btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭slingerz

Well its better than the old system where you had clubs training from October to May for 1 game if they lost. Nobody gives a crap about the Kelleher shield so they had to try to give at least a few meaningful games to teams. How else are teams/players meant to develop?

The colleges/divisions section is knockout this year aswell btw.

I would agree with you to an extent but we have had clubs being beaten on a couple of occasions coming back to win it.

The tension and drama that it created was heightened by straight knockout championship. Perhaps put more meaning into the lesser competitions but championship action takes a hit until it becomes knockout anyway. The first rounds are dead in terms of atmosphere

The problem with fixture congestion arises from the backdoor at intercounty level. Backdoor for minor sides etc is crazy given the amount of games those players will play they should be straight knockout. Same goes for intercounty senior those players will have any number of competitions open to them and the idea behind the back door is to give players games.

Ironically the championship remains knockout when you go to Junior 2/3 level and these guys are the ones who should be getting more games not the elite. Alas there is no money following those games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

slingerz wrote: »
    I would agree with you to an extent but we have had clubs being beaten on a couple of occasions coming back to win it.

The tension and drama that it created was heightened by straight knockout championship. Perhaps put more meaning into the lesser competitions but championship action takes a hit until it becomes knockout anyway. The first rounds are dead in terms of atmosphere

The problem with fixture congestion arises from the backdoor at intercounty level. Backdoor for minor sides etc is crazy given the amount of games those players will play they should be straight knockout. Same goes for intercounty senior those players will have any number of competitions open to them and the idea behind the back door is to give players games.

Ironically the championship remains knockout when you go to Junior 2/3 level and these guys are the ones who should be getting more games not the elite. Alas there is no money following those games
    I agree it's much better than the old system, but it has its downside too. The championship does lack that sparkle that it used to have. Realistically the league should be promoted more and the championship should remain straight knockout. If we go with a Champions League style competition for championship, then it will be getting closer and closer to a league/championship hybrid. The strange thing in English soccer is that the leaugue is more important than the FA Cup because you have more games, more close games and more tension and interest. In an ideal world the league in GAA would be the premier competition, and the championship would be the second competition but it's the other way around.

I see your point slingerz..as far as I can see there are 2 possible solutions which retain the knockout element while also providing enough quality games for clubs/players:
    1. As you mentioned, have a traditional knockout c/ship competition but run a more meaningful league competition. No idea how this could be achieved as the there is currently zero prestige in the Kelleher Shield (I'm talking about football mainly obviously). If there was a way to link league standings to championship..such as having only Division 1 clubs playing in Senior Championship, that would make the league more serious, but then you have the issue of congesting the lower level comps.

2. Have a mixed format championship. League stage leading to last 16 or last 8 knockout and so on. Guarantees a good amount of quality games, while retaining a knockout element. One of the problems with this is if a team loses their first 2/3 games and know they are out they offer no resistance which can lead to imbalance in groups. Still, this format works well in quite a few counties.

No matter what, there has to be some sort of system where more than 3/4 quality games are available to sub-county level players to allow them to improve. The current trend of many potentially good players in Cork training their ar5es off from November to May, losing 2 games and then packing in football in July...it's insane.

I see your point slingerz..as far as I can see there are 2 possible solutions which retain the knockout element while also providing enough quality games for clubs/players:
    1. As you mentioned, have a traditional knockout c/ship competition but run a more meaningful league competition. No idea how this could be achieved as the there is currently zero prestige in the Kelleher Shield (I'm talking about football mainly obviously). If there was a way to link league standings to championship..such as having only Division 1 clubs playing in Senior Championship, that would make the league more serious, but then you have the issue of congesting the lower level comps.

2. Have a mixed format championship. League stage leading to last 16 or last 8 knockout and so on. Guarantees a good amount of quality games, while retaining a knockout element. One of the problems with this is if a team loses their first 2/3 games and know they are out they offer no resistance which can lead to imbalance in groups. Still, this format works well in quite a few counties.

No matter what, there has to be some sort of system where more than 3/4 quality games are available to sub-county level players to allow them to improve. The current trend of many potentially good players in Cork training their ar5es off from November to May, losing 2 games and then packing in football in July...it's insane.

The bolded bit is the key point really. The thng is top heavy with the amount of fixtures being played by the inter county teams and the fact that they have a backdoor is farcial when they come out with player burnout reports then.

Let inter-county by a straight knockout championship and forget about the inter-county league/McGrath cup competitions and put the focus back on the club games and club competitions.

Maybe Sky would have no interest in that

I think SKY would be very interested in a competitive intercounty league. If you switched the position of the intercounty league to the summer, and have a straight knockout championship almost running long side the competition just like the FA Cup and the Premier League run together, you could have pretty much the whole Winter and Spring for club games.

Archer3083 wrote: »
    I think SKY would be very interested in a competitive intercounty league. If you switched the position of the intercounty league to the summer, and have a straight knockout championship almost running long side the competition just like the FA Cup and the Premier League run together, you could have pretty much the whole Winter and Spring for club games.

So the normal joe doesnt get to play in the best of conditions? should be the other way around really.

Cut back on inter county fixtures not add to them.

So the normal joe doesnt get to play in the best of conditions? should be the other way around really.

Cut back on inter county fixtures not add to them.
    That's what's happening already in the bigger counties. In Dublin and Donegal the problem is far worse with clubs training all summer long, but not being able to play because their county stars aren't allowed to play for their clubs while the county is still involved with championship.

Eventually, the clubs will be disassociated from the county and you'll have a two tier system similar to the events that took place in rugby when it went professional. An elite intercounty tier and a club tier that would act as a feeder to the intercounty teams. I think GAA will progress like any other sport, money will influence this process. That's 20-50 years down the line but I think it will happen eventually, that's my opinion. And I think it would be better in the long run because club championship would be separate and would continue without county stars and interference from intercounty managers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 joey59

TBH I'm sick of hearing intercounty players carrying on like they are the only ones who matter or have it tough. They get all the benefits going along with playing for their county.

How many senior club players are pushing themselves to the limit just to be able to play and make the most of what they have and they get sweet fa for their thanks.

Now the GAA take their 30 pieces of silver and you can be dead sure that the guys training underage teams all over the country,or selling lotto tickets to pay for a coach, or cleaning out dressing rooms or taking care of physio bills or driving players across the county won't see a cent make it down to their clubs.

Take care of the lads at the top who have Donal Og and Dessie Farrell already shouting their corner but don't even dream about taking care of the people who keep the whole thing going.

joey59 wrote: »
    TBH I'm sick of hearing intercounty players carrying on like they are the only ones who matter or have it tough. They get all the benefits going along with playing for their county.

How many senior club players are pushing themselves to the limit just to be able to play and make the most of what they have and they get sweet fa for their thanks.

Now the GAA take their 30 pieces of silver and you can be dead sure that the guys training underage teams all over the country,or selling lotto tickets to pay for a coach, or cleaning out dressing rooms or taking care of physio bills or driving players across the county won't see a cent make it down to their clubs.

Take care of the lads at the top who have Donal Og and Dessie Farrell already shouting their corner but don't even dream about taking care of the people who keep the whole thing going.
    Would it be such a bad thing if clubs played in their championship during the summer without their intercounty stars? Most clubs would only have one player but other clubs might have 2 or 3. I suppose in the case of Castlehaven at the moment, they're heavily dependent on intercounty stars.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

Wats Cathal Naughtons story, didnt see his name on the cork panel ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Horse84

Rebel1977 wrote: »
    Wats Cathal Naughtons story, didnt see his name on the cork panel ?

No and you won't either hopefully. Cathal has played his last game in a cork jersey. All the pace and skill in the world but when it comes down to it no fight in him. He's had enough chances and his time is past, time for others to step up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

Anyone know what the minor hurlers are like this yr? Play Kerry Wed nite.

Kerry seniors seem to be working out very well under their new Tipperary management. I think Brendan Cummins is their goal keeping coach. I'm sure that's bound to rub off on the minors. It would be great to see Kerry produce a good minor team and work their way up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Alan O'Callaghan (Blackrock)
    Micheal O'Halloran (Blackrock)
    Daniel Meaney (Blackrock)
    Shane Kingston (Douglas)
    Mark Dolan (Douglas)

Declan Dalton (Fr. O'Neills)
    Billy Dunne (Fr. O'Neills)
    Seanaidh Smith (Midleton)
    Chris O'Leary (Valley Rovers)
    Dayne Lee (Na Piarsigh)

Eddie Gunning (Na Piarsigh)
    Shane Milner (Glen Rovers)
    Luke Meade (Newcestown)
    John Looney (Aghada)
    Ollie Dempsey (Youghal)

Sean Hayes (Mallow)
    Alec Luttrell (Mallow)
    Sean Bourke (Grenagh
    Shane O'Brien (St. Catherines)
    Patrick Collins (Ballinhassig)

Eoghan Kinery (Killeagh)
    Cian Walsh (St. Finbarrs)
    Paul Leopold (Sarsfields)
    Aaron Stafford (Aghada)
    Joseph O'Sullivan (Ballygiblin)

Thats the bulk of the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Hard luck to Rochestown beaten today.Epic game in All ireland Senior schools C final,Scoil Ghobhtnan won a thriller of agame .
    1-12 to 2-6.Hung on in the end.With around 1o min to go ,game was over so I thought .8 points up ,but with 3 mintues in it ,just two points between them.Great grit,and bravery from the superb young team.
    Murchu had a great game .
    O luasa ,5 clean sheets coudnt be faulted for two goals,had a great game.
    Deasuna in the middle was superb .
    Ryan Burns must got 1-3 around and he single handely nearly won it for Ardee.He is a Louth U21.Top player .

13 cork men,cil na matra and Naomh abhan mainly,with O donughue and o sullivan two kerry players and Mickey Ned O Sullivan the manager.Ciaran o Sullivan selector cork ,be delighted ,won an all ireland vocational title 1989 with them .Led by a kerryman,very much a cork team though.

This was a great win and a special thought for The late Shane Murphy ,a talented footballer in the school , who tragically died last year .(RIP).
    The Minor hurlers have a few injuries worries themselves ,not that it will affect them Wednesday.
    That team is already picked.A strong team Willie.I wouldnt see any weak aera in it .
    Its to be announced tommorrow .

The Tipperary Under 21 Football team to play Cork in next Wednesday’s Munster Final is unchanged from the team which defeated Clare in the semi-final.

Tipperary (U21F v Clare) – Gearoid Slattery (Cashel King Cormacs); Niall O’Sullivan (Moycarkey Borris), James Feehan (Killenaule), Conor O’Sullivan (Galtee Rovers); Adrian McGuire (Kilsheelan-Kilcash), Seamus Kennedy (Clonmel Commercials), Bill Maher (Kilsheelan Kilcash); Steven O’Brien (Ballina), Colin O’Riordan (JK Brackens); John McGrath (Loughmore Castleiney), Ian Fahey (Clonmel Commercials), Greg Henry (Killenaule); Liam McGrath (Loughmore Castleiney), Michael Quinlivan (Clonmel Commercials – Vice-Captain), Sean Flynn (Fr Sheehys)

Vaughan is out for Wednesday I .
    He has a tear on his quad,he will do well to make the semifinal if we get there, Oakes long term .we play roscommon,a very good team.I had fancied them to win Connaught outright.A 3rd title in 5 years.There a serious side .

O driscoll and crowley will start.
    Brosnan should make the subs.Wont start.
    The team is very strong bar one position that I heard thats picked,should be offically named soon Monday I imagine.

Cork are playing Limerick 25th april Senior hurling challenge .

• Registered Users Posts: 10 MAXELLROSE

As ttm said a great win for Colaiste Ghobnatan especially for a mixed school of 200 or so students.A great team display and tactically the line got tactics spot on cause Ryan Burns etc were a huge threat up front for Ardee who had put up big scores up to this. Huge congrats to all concerned especially all the Kilnamartyra lads

CORK MINOR HURLING TEAM TO PLAY KERRY 06/04/2014
    The Cork Minor Hurling team to play Kerry in the Munster Championship on Wednesday at 6.15pm at Páirc Uí Rinn will line out as follows:

1. Patrick Collins (Ballinhassig – Captain)
    2. Cian Walsh (St. Finbarr's)
    3. Sean Bourke (Grenagh)
    4. Eddie Gunning (Na Piarsaigh)
    5. Shane O’Brien (St. Catherine's)
    6. Alan O’Callaghan (Blackrock)
    7. Darren Browne (Kanturk)
    8. Sean O’Donoghue (Inniscarra)
    9. Daniel Meaney (Blackrock)
    10. Luke Meade (Newcestown)
    11. Tomás O'Connor (Inniscarra)
    12. Dayne Lee (Na Piarsaigh)
    13. Mark Dolan (Douglas)
    14. Sean Hayes (Mallow)
    15. Eoghan Keniry (Killeagh/ Ita's)

Subs
    16. Darragh O’Connell (Na Piarsaigh)
    17. David Dooling (Glen Rovers)
    18. Ollie Dempsey (Youghal)
    19. Diarmuid Buckley (Shandrum)
    20. Darren Casey (Charleville)
    21. Billy Dunne (Fr. O Neill's)
    22. Michael O'Halloran (Blackrock)
    23. Joseph O'Sullivan (Ballygiblin)
    24. Shane Kingston (Douglas)

Only three of Cork’s starting fifteen were involved in the extra time defeat to Waterford in last year’s Munster Championship: Shane O’Brien, Alan O’Callaghan and captain Patrick Collins, who is in his third year as a Cork Minor. All of the starting fifteen are in their final year at the minor grade. Cian Walsh, Seán Bourke, Eddie Gunning, Dayne Lee, Mark Dolan, Daniel Meaney, Seán Hayes and Eoghan Keniry were part of the 2013 U17 Rebel Óg Academy squad that won the Mallow Inter-County tournament. Luke Meade, Tomás O’Connor, Darren Browne and Seán O’Donoghue were also involved in that squad but were club-tied for the tournament.

Additional Panel Members
    25. Martin Collins (St. Patrick's)
    26. Aaron Stafford (Aghada)
    27. John Good (Tracton)
    28. Seadnaidh Smyth (Midleton)
    29. Alec Luttrell (Mallow)
    30. John Looney (Aghada)
    Unavailable for selection due to injury: Evan O’Connell (Glen Rovers), Paul Leopold (Sarsfields)

The game is a first outing for the current management team, headed up by manager Denis Ring (Fermoy) and coach Mark Landers (Killeagh), along with selectors John Dwyer (Ballincollig), John Mortell (Ballyhea) and Liam Martin (Glen Rovers).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

Shane Milner of Glen not involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭zetecescort

The Cork U21 Football team to play Tipperary in Wednesday night's Munster Final at Páirc Uí Rinn will line out as follows:

1. Micheál Martin (Nemo Rangers)
    2. Jamie Davis (Douglas
    3. Conor Dorman (Bishopstown – Captain)
    4. Stephen Cronin (Nemo Rangers)
    5. Brian O’Driscoll (Tadhg MacCárthaigh)
    6. Seán White (Clonakilty)
    7. Kevin Crowley (Millstreet)
    8. Kevin Fulignati (Nemo Rangers) move
    9. Ian Maguire (St. Finbarr’s)
    10. Killian O’Hanlon (Kilshannig)
    11. Mark Sugrue (Bandon)
    12. Sean Kiely (Ballincollig)
    13. Dan MacEoin (Ilen Rovers)
    14. John Corkery ( Aghabullogue)
    15. Alan Cadogan (Douglas)

Subs
    16. James McDonnell (St. Finbarr’s)
    17. Sam Ryan (St. Finbarr’s)
    18. Kieran Histon (Cobh)
    19. TJ Brosnan (Newmarket)
    20. Kevin Kavanagh (Carrigaline)
    21. Darragh Murphy (Valley Rovers)
    22. Killian McIntyre (Carrigaline)
    23. David Harrington (Adrigole)
    24. Cian O’Sullivan (Clyda Rovers)

Seán Hayes and his selectors have made three changes in personnel for the Munster Final against Tipperary. Brian O’Driscoll and Kevin Crowley return from injury, with Kieran Histon dropping to the bench and Kevin Fulignati moving to midfield. Killian O’Hanlon moves to the half forward line in place of Cian O’Sullivan, while John Corkery starts at full forward at the expense of David Harrington.

Additional Panel Members
    Cathal Vaughan (Iveleary) – Not considered due to injury
    Dylan Quinn (St. Finbarr's) – Not considered due to injury
    Sam Oakes ( Bishopstown) – Not considered due to injury
    Paddy Rossiter (O'Donovan Rossa)
    Anthony Casey ( Kiskeam)
    Killian O'Connor (Mallow)
    Kevin Davis (O'Donovan Rossa)
    John Leahy (Clonakilty)
    Mark Quinn ( Dohenys)
    Conor Horgan (Nemo Rangers)
    Alan O'Connor (St. Finbarr's)
    Tomás O'Rourke (Carbery Rangers)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭randd1

Just to add to the discussion about going on club players. If the GAA were really worried about the club players, the entire year would have been split years ago into two parts.

First part would have been starting the inter-county hurling season and been run off as quick as you can, from February to the the beginning/mid July, with the club hurling going form July to October.

The second part would be to run the inter-county football season as quick as you can from the first Sunday in June until first Sunday in October, with clubs playing football from February until June.

That would mean clubs would have defined hurling and football seasons, with access to their county players. And when the county lads are playing football/hurling, their clubs are playing the opposite code so they wouldn't be missing out.

The downside to that format would would almost certainly mean that the dual player at inter-county would be gone, and that an inter-county player wouldn't be able to play dual for his club.

However, seeing as its estimated that something like 95% of dual players are not inter-county men, it would be ideal for clubs the length and breadth of the country as they would have defined seasons for both codes for the year so players could play both hurling and football.
    It would mean uninterrupted access to their inter-county players for their club championships.
    It would mean young lads grow up being able to play both codes and then make the choice as an adult which one you wanted to play, rather than being forced to do so at 13/14 and stick with as it currently is in pretty much every county.
    It would be better for fans, as they could follow both county teams individually (especially true for the league where sometimes you have to choose one).
    It would mean the GAA have the possibility of maximizing the reach of both codes in every county, which would hopefully improve the standards at inter-county as clubs get their players playing both.

It would be a great system for the clubs, rather than having the county team take players from January until August and having no idea when you would be playing, there would be time set aside for the clubs to plan for the year ahead.

• Advertisement

Shane Milner of Glen not involved?

Didnt make it ,and he is a fine hurler .

Lepold didnt but he had a cruciate injury but back training himself recently
    Wouldnt be suprised if he made it down the line

Strong panel when Dan Landers,Chris O Leary,Ian Cahill didnt make it or declan dalton and he was training with them.Brendan mccarthy was the best midfidelder in u 16 all ireland last week but will
    make it next year .A lot of competiton.
    I am suprised that Luttrell didnt make the match day panel ,but o brien and o callaghan at 6,hard to get in .Huge competiton at half back.
    Cian walsh is a super corner back ,so hard to not have him there and o brien at 2.
    Bourke is a suprise at 3,i admit ,normally played centre back in the challenges .They want a physical presence there ,it seems.He has a great hand for the high ball .Could swap with o brien if needs be.
    What is pleasing is there is huge versailty in the panel ,there not one trick ponies.Im happy with the panel.Great hurling talent there.

What do you make of it Willie the team??

Last time cork beat kerry by 33 points 2012

No dissrespect to them but its hard to see them coming within 15 points as this is a better coached team.
    We havë not played them in two years , but in schools ,charville won the kinnane cup u16b beating causeway in october 3-10 to 0-12.
    Thats was just schools but still there is gap in class.

Cork minors have the whole of cork to pick from,kerry have just north kerry mostly ardfert,causeway,kilmoyley etc .Kerry wouldnt have a much bigger pick than there schools teams ,so its a huge ask for them,kerry won the all ireland b minor last year ,credit due .

Ian brick is there coach ex kerry hurler.Its a huge step up in class,as a lot of the cork lads have played Harty ,and some Senior,intermediate with clubs ,or u21 at the very least .

Dempsey for example won Intermediate Munster with Youghal .
    Kinery ,dolan have played senior Cork county with Killeagh and Douglas and hayes Intermediate with mallow .
    Bourke started most Intermediate games for Grenagh at half forward .
    Shane o brien likewise with st catherines,played Intermediate.

Theres a real goal threat with dolan ,kinery and hayes.
    Its the 1st game so a lot of expiermenting ,against limerick there be a few changes id think,kinery likely to be in the half forward line and gunning at full back,you would imagine .

The main game is limerick and tippereary thursday in the gaelic grounds at 7,winners play cork straight knock out in June.
    Limerick have a training panel of 37.Cian lynch is captain and ronan is vice.
    Tippeary win would be good ,as it means cork and limerick have a chance of avoiding each other till the final.

If cork do meet limerick its interesting as diarmuid buckley for example and Flangan of limerick are both team mates that won a limerick schools title just weeks ago with hazlewood .

The u21 football team is like I imagined bar o sullivan being dropped ,but its a horses for courses selection ,Hanlon is a midfielder essentially and is some lad to win breaking ball .Cork see the winning and loosing of it at midfield,and there correct,if they control midfield they have a supply to the lethal full forward line ,and starve ball inside to tipp.He will play midfield,with fulgnatti playing a deeper role,imo.

.He played Senior County final ,at half back and I think could slot in for crowley.
    I think crowley is corks spare man ,in defence.He will be corks sweepers ,esseniatlly ,covering any space between half back and the full back line .
    with seak kiely at 12,also an option at midfield Cork with Maguire ,should have a real strength here.

Riordain Of tipp is easily the best midfielder ball winning wise with maguire left in the competion as a whole ,of 5 teams left in the series .
    Riordain everything you want in a player,athletic,brave ,fast ,and huge will to win and always gives hundred per cent .

O brien is great partner but ,hanlon is just as good for breaking ball.
    once dorman is on quinlan ,and mcgrath is marked by cronin or davis ,cork should be okay.
    It could be castarophic if dorman is on mcgrath,be like varley re cahalane 2013 all ireland final .

If cork get the match up right here,i think we can win .Esiceally with what looks like a sweeper system,with fulgnatti playing.Cork are 100 per cent right to play it,as tipp will not play 15 v 15,and counter attack.
    With a sweeper cork can counter that ,and draw them out .
    Cork with Cadogan,corkery,maceoin and sugrue have a better scoring forwards.
    I would expect cadogan to come deep at times .

The worry I have is we have no Game chaning forward to bring of the bench ,if needed.O sullivan and harrington are grand in a system but not proflic scorers,lile vaughan or 7 goal Sam oakes last year senior championship .Two huge losses.I would much prefer Horgan nemo as a sub ,and he is flying at club u21 .
    Im suprised with hayes a nemo man ,not having him on the match day panel.
    Overall im happy with that team,once dorman stays with quinlan.Thats the only time he should be at full back,against a target man,and he knows quinlan from ucc.

This could be low scoring for the 1st 50,a game of ping pong ,as both will play a sweeper .Tactial nous is going to have a huge part to play and I think so far so good for cork .

The seniors today ,i fear we could be in for a long day and with a midfield that could struggle to win ball we are going to be under huge pressure and I think we will loose by 6 or 7 points if kerry are up for it and I think they should be .
    Laoire ommision like many said here is just a woeful call ,and cuthbhert said he would try every panel player ,that isnt the case it.
    Laoire must be gutted.Never got a chance,a start.

Cork are qualfied already and I want cork to win today but it was great chance to play laoire .
    Great to see sullivan start with kelly.The defence is fine,problem is they will be under so much pressure from midfield ,they cant hold out all the time .

colm O driscoll wont do much scoring wise .Its a conserative selection imo.We were the same against Mayo ,against our bold open attack play discarded and we drew mayo on to us and we suffered dearly.I hope to be wrong,but I fear were drawing kerry on us .
    Great to see Sean dinneen on the panel.

The difference he being able to play in april unlike last year when it was may nearly with haven I would think is due to weather not being as bad ,as he is a dairy farmer and with the ground allowing cows be out night and day in some cases in grass ,it reduces hes workload,as cows last years generally in most places were kept in til very very late,an increase in workoad if there in the shed compared to grass.
    He mentioned that reason before in a paper interview.

A super player,strong,athletic,natuarlly fit and very aggressive in a controlled way.Big hands as well to grab the ball.More importantly a fine kick passer .Could be an option down the line .
    Deane is a huge loss ,but he was never going to start with this management team regulary,as shown by the league ,O sullivan was rated above him .

Gould was superb last week,but must be consistent .
    once derry arent hammered by mayo ,it could mean they top the division ,or maybee tyrone top it ,(unlikey beat dubs) if we finish 4th best placed team we play the top team .It could pan out any way .

At this stage cork be much better playing Tyrone to Derry in a croke park semifinal than Dublin or Mayo .A realistic chance of beating them two .
    I would greatly fear big losses to Dublin or Mayo .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement