Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

Didnt make it ,and he is a fine hurler .

Lepold didnt but he had a cruciate injury but back training himself recently
    Wouldnt be suprised if he made it down the line

Strong panel when Dan Landers,Chris O Leary,Ian Cahill didnt make it or declan dalton and he was training with them.Brendan mccarthy was the best midfidelder in u 16 all ireland last week but will
    make it next year .A lot of competiton.
    I am suprised that Luttrell didnt make the match day panel ,but o brien and o callaghan at 6,hard to get in .Huge competiton at half back.
    Cian walsh is a super corner back ,so hard to not have him there and o brien at 2.
    Bourke is a suprise at 3,i admit ,normally played centre back in the challenges .They want a physical presence there ,it seems.He has a great hand for the high ball .Could swap with o brien if needs be.
    What is pleasing is there is huge versailty in the panel ,there not one trick ponies.Im happy with the panel.Great hurling talent there.

What do you make of it Willie the team??

Last time cork beat kerry by 33 points 2012

No dissrespect to them but its hard to see them coming within 15 points as this is a better coached team.
    We havë not played them in two years , but in schools ,charville won the kinnane cup u16b beating causeway in october 3-10 to 0-12.
    Thats was just schools but still there is gap in class.

Cork minors have the whole of cork to pick from,kerry have just north kerry mostly ardfert,causeway,kilmoyley etc .Kerry wouldnt have a much bigger pick than there schools teams ,so its a huge ask for them,kerry won the all ireland b minor last year ,credit due .

Ian brick is there coach ex kerry hurler.Its a huge step up in class,as a lot of the cork lads have played Harty ,and some Senior,intermediate with clubs ,or u21 at the very least .

Dempsey for example won Intermediate Munster with Youghal .
    Kinery ,dolan have played senior Cork county with Killeagh and Douglas and hayes Intermediate with mallow .
    Bourke started most Intermediate games for Grenagh at half forward .
    Shane o brien likewise with st catherines,played Intermediate.

Theres a real goal threat with dolan ,kinery and hayes.
    Its the 1st game so a lot of expiermenting ,against limerick there be a few changes id think,kinery likely to be in the half forward line and gunning at full back,you would imagine .

The main game is limerick and tippereary thursday in the gaelic grounds at 7,winners play cork straight knock out in June.
    Limerick have a training panel of 37.Cian lynch is captain and ronan is vice.
    Tippeary win would be good ,as it means cork and limerick have a chance of avoiding each other till the final.

If cork do meet limerick its interesting as diarmuid buckley for example and Flangan of limerick are both team mates that won a limerick schools title just weeks ago with hazlewood .

The u21 football team is like I imagined bar o sullivan being dropped ,but its a horses for courses selection ,Hanlon is a midfielder essentially and is some lad to win breaking ball .Cork see the winning and loosing of it at midfield,and there correct,if they control midfield they have a supply to the lethal full forward line ,and starve ball inside to tipp.He will play midfield,with fulgnatti playing a deeper role,imo.

.He played Senior County final ,at half back and I think could slot in for crowley.
    I think crowley is corks spare man ,in defence.He will be corks sweepers ,esseniatlly ,covering any space between half back and the full back line .
    with seak kiely at 12,also an option at midfield Cork with Maguire ,should have a real strength here.

Riordain Of tipp is easily the best midfielder ball winning wise with maguire left in the competion as a whole ,of 5 teams left in the series .
    Riordain everything you want in a player,athletic,brave ,fast ,and huge will to win and always gives hundred per cent .

O brien is great partner but ,hanlon is just as good for breaking ball.
    once dorman is on quinlan ,and mcgrath is marked by cronin or davis ,cork should be okay.
    It could be castarophic if dorman is on mcgrath,be like varley re cahalane 2013 all ireland final .

If cork get the match up right here,i think we can win .Esiceally with what looks like a sweeper system,with fulgnatti playing.Cork are 100 per cent right to play it,as tipp will not play 15 v 15,and counter attack.
    With a sweeper cork can counter that ,and draw them out .
    Cork with Cadogan,corkery,maceoin and sugrue have a better scoring forwards.
    I would expect cadogan to come deep at times .

The worry I have is we have no Game chaning forward to bring of the bench ,if needed.O sullivan and harrington are grand in a system but not proflic scorers,lile vaughan or 7 goal Sam oakes last year senior championship .Two huge losses.I would much prefer Horgan nemo as a sub ,and he is flying at club u21 .
    Im suprised with hayes a nemo man ,not having him on the match day panel.
    Overall im happy with that team,once dorman stays with quinlan.Thats the only time he should be at full back,against a target man,and he knows quinlan from ucc.

This could be low scoring for the 1st 50,a game of ping pong ,as both will play a sweeper .Tactial nous is going to have a huge part to play and I think so far so good for cork .

The seniors today ,i fear we could be in for a long day and with a midfield that could struggle to win ball we are going to be under huge pressure and I think we will loose by 6 or 7 points if kerry are up for it and I think they should be .
    Laoire ommision like many said here is just a woeful call ,and cuthbhert said he would try every panel player ,that isnt the case it.
    Laoire must be gutted.Never got a chance,a start.

Cork are qualfied already and I want cork to win today but it was great chance to play laoire .
    Great to see sullivan start with kelly.The defence is fine,problem is they will be under so much pressure from midfield ,they cant hold out all the time .

colm O driscoll wont do much scoring wise .Its a conserative selection imo.We were the same against Mayo ,against our bold open attack play discarded and we drew mayo on to us and we suffered dearly.I hope to be wrong,but I fear were drawing kerry on us .
    Great to see Sean dinneen on the panel.

The difference he being able to play in april unlike last year when it was may nearly with haven I would think is due to weather not being as bad ,as he is a dairy farmer and with the ground allowing cows be out night and day in some cases in grass ,it reduces hes workload,as cows last years generally in most places were kept in til very very late,an increase in workoad if there in the shed compared to grass.
    He mentioned that reason before in a paper interview.

A super player,strong,athletic,natuarlly fit and very aggressive in a controlled way.Big hands as well to grab the ball.More importantly a fine kick passer .Could be an option down the line .
    Deane is a huge loss ,but he was never going to start with this management team regulary,as shown by the league ,O sullivan was rated above him .

Gould was superb last week,but must be consistent .
    once derry arent hammered by mayo ,it could mean they top the division ,or maybee tyrone top it ,(unlikey beat dubs) if we finish 4th best placed team we play the top team .It could pan out any way .

At this stage cork be much better playing Tyrone to Derry in a croke park semifinal than Dublin or Mayo .A realistic chance of beating them two .
    I would greatly fear big losses to Dublin or Mayo .

Certainly a few surprises with the minor selection.

Who is the Quinlan lad you refer to from Tipp? Is it Quinlivan you mean.

Can't see Cork winning today either. Laoire should definitely have got a start. Look at Derry, they don't care who they play in the semi final. No fear.

Deane, is not a big loss though. He was down the pecking order, his first year on the panel. No way a starter. Might have been a sub option but might not either.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,883 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Kerry 1-11 v Cork 2-18

That is a very nice looking scoreline - super second half in particular, Hurley...scoring for fun !!! a very nice win.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Well done to Cork on a well deserved win, with Colm O'Neill back they are a serious force to be reckoned with. They are worth money now for the All-Ireland and I expect them to dismantle Dublin in the semi final.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭thesultan

Watched the deffered coverage and after four minutes TG4 spoiled it by putting up the full time score up by mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Stinicker wrote: »
    Well done to Cork on a well deserved win, with Colm O'Neill back they are a serious force to be reckoned with. They are worth money now for the All-Ireland and I expect them to dismantle Dublin in the semi final.

we know in Cork what Kerry are capable of and wont be far off the honours in September.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Being from Kerry I'm very disappointed with today's performance but Cork are reaping the rewards of under 21 dominance and are streets ahead in terms of the players they are producing both physically and more importantly talent wise.

Cork are evens to win Munster on skybet- printing money if you ask me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Yeah quinlvan is the guy ,i mean.Tipp senior and ucc lad .
    A good win ,in kerry.Im very suprised with our win but beat them by ten points is more suprising.I don't believe Cork are ten points better than kerry at present though.And id be very cautious of being blown up in the Pairc in a Munster final and I wouldnt get carried away .Kerry will be nothing like today in june.

Maher was a huge loss to them at a vital stage with a point in it.Id had wondered what kerry ,mindset would be like.I thought they would up for it.They didnt seem to want to know in the second half ,it was like they had seen plenty in the 1st half and went toe to toe with us and with a league semi a dead rubber,they werent too bothered.Even against a wind,it doesnt mean you cant show intensity .Kerry arent as bad as today ,and Cork forwards wont get that space in July.As much as ex kerry greats and the current set up will talk up Cork in july ,and Kerry will be underdogs and kerry first aim is to be competitve etc ,there a real danger to Cork in July ,more so after today ,as when the shoulder is to the wheel,they reinvent themselves against us.Talking to kerry fans they didnt seem too bothered with today.Just my opinion,but I wouldnt underestimate kerry.

A good win in that ,unbeaten against kerry with this management but kerry intensity 2nd half was poor.Kerry have a warm weather training in portgual in a few weeks,i got the impression today didnt mean much once they heard mayo beating derry at half time

Top of the table but play league and all ireland champions in croke park not much reward .Derry or tyrone would be better to play .

Dublin have stuttered and stumbled,you would expect in the last 4 a huge game in them .Hard to see Cork beating them twice in Croke park.Very soon ,the Real Dublin are going to play for 70 minutes and not in phases.
    If dublin play for even 60 minutes at pace and intensity ,it be great test but a huge ask all the same.
    At least Cork have more exposure in croke park .

Credit management for finishing top and what we do well,we do very well.2-17 from play ,espicelly when Colm came on shows our strengths .We all know we have forwards.
    Todays win was vital phsycogially for Cork more than Kerry as we hadnt won a senior league game til 2011 or I believe or close to it.And its important that the young lads,hurley,cahalane,clancy etc used to beating kerry regulary in kerry at underage ,do it at senior .
    A win that can help confidence next time we go to kerry.

Kerrigan ,wasnt picked to start(should have)was superb when he replaced o rourke.e
    And colm done more in 20 than hayes did in 50,yes hayes got two points .Colm got a super goal.

The problems however remain at midfield and getting the right balance at half back.Game over and laoire gets little game time.He could barely work up a sweat .6 minutes now in fairness is not much .The dual code is going to test the panel also.

What is pleasing with minors hurlers imo, is ,while there is suprises in it,is theres a nice mix representing cork,not just traditional strongholds club wise but with 6 city lads,two north cork ,3 mid cork men etc Starting.

Its no better shown than by Martin Collins a sub,lad that can play 8 or half forward,coming from Skibbereen ,mainly football terriorty .St patricks is a small club down in west Cork .Great to see,that lads are picked on Hurling alone.
    Like st itas with Harnedy .
    Great for St Patricks .

Smith and looney had a lot of hurling at school the last few months so they needed a break and arent in the 24,o halloran was injured ,kingston played a lot also ,so they arent starting wednesday but I expect them to challenge strongly for June .

Browne of kanturk is on the football panel also with casey also I think .

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

Being from Kerry I'm very disappointed with today's performance but Cork are reaping the rewards of under 21 dominance and are streets ahead in terms of the players they are producing both physically and more importantly talent wise.

Cork are evens to win Munster on skybet- printing money if you ask me
    I didn't think Kerry were that bad today. I think the first half was even. Both sides picked up a few injuries to players during the league and today, so neither team was at full strength. Players like Darren O'Sullivan and Damien Cahalane, picking up injuries is very frustrating for both teams, especially when you consider that Darren and Damien have only just returned to action. I think the second half lacked intensity, and I think both teams knew how other results were going. I think that's why Kerry faded in the second half.

I don't think Kerry will do any good in Munster this year, but if Fitzmaurice gets Kerry to peak in August and September then Kerry will have a chance like any of the other top 8 teams in the country to win an All-Ireland. It only takes 3 games to win an All-Ireland if you reach the quarter-finals, and Kerry will at the very least achieve that goal. I don't think any of the teams in Division 1 this year looked nailed on to win Sam. Every team experimented, made mistakes, and looked vulnerable at times. I think the All-Ireland is more open this year than it has been for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 kilmac14

Yeah quinlvan is the guy ,i mean.Tipp senior and ucc lad .
    A good win ,in kerry.Im very suprised with our win but beat them by ten points is more suprising.I don't believe Cork are ten points better than kerry at present though.And id be very cautious of being blown up in the Pairc in a Munster final and I wouldnt get carried away .Kerry will be nothing like today in june.

Maher was a huge loss to them at a vital stage with a point in it.Id had wondered what kerry ,mindset would be like.I thought they would up for it.They didnt seem to want to know in the second half ,it was like they had seen plenty in the 1st half and went toe to toe with us and with a league semi a dead rubber,they werent too bothered.Even against a wind,it doesnt mean you cant show intensity .Kerry arent as bad as today ,and Cork forwards wont get that space in July.As much as ex kerry greats and the current set up will talk up Cork in july ,and Kerry will be underdogs and kerry first aim is to be competitve etc ,there a real danger to Cork in July ,more so after today ,as when the shoulder is to the wheel,they reinvent themselves against us.Talking to kerry fans they didnt seem too bothered with today.Just my opinion,but I wouldnt underestimate kerry.

A good win in that ,unbeaten against kerry with this management but kerry intensity 2nd half was poor.Kerry have a warm weather training in portgual in a few weeks,i got the impression today didnt mean much once they heard mayo beating derry at half time

Top of the table but play league and all ireland champions in croke park not much reward .Derry or tyrone would be better to play .

Dublin have stuttered and stumbled,you would expect in the last 4 a huge game in them .Hard to see Cork beating them twice in Croke park.Very soon ,the Real Dublin are going to play for 70 minutes and not in phases.
    If dublin play for even 60 minutes at pace and intensity ,it be great test but a huge ask all the same.
    At least Cork have more exposure in croke park .

Credit management for finishing top and what we do well,we do very well.2-17 from play ,espicelly when Colm came on shows our strengths .We all know we have forwards.
    Todays win was vital phsycogially for Cork more than Kerry as we hadnt won a senior league game til 2011 or I believe or close to it.And its important that the young lads,hurley,cahalane,clancy etc used to beating kerry regulary in kerry at underage ,do it at senior .
    A win that can help confidence next time we go to kerry.

Kerrigan ,wasnt picked to start(should have)was superb when he replaced o rourke.e
    And colm done more in 20 than hayes did in 50,yes hayes got two points .Colm got a super goal.

The problems however remain at midfield and getting the right balance at half back.Game over and laoire gets little game time.He could barely work up a sweat .6 minutes now in fairness is not much .The dual code is going to test the panel also.

What is pleasing with minors hurlers imo, is ,while there is suprises in it,is theres a nice mix representing cork,not just traditional strongholds club wise but with 6 city lads,two north cork ,3 mid cork men etc Starting.

Its no better shown than by Martin Collins a sub,lad that can play 8 or half forward,coming from Skibbereen ,mainly football terriorty .St patricks is a small club down in west Cork .Great to see,that lads are picked on Hurling alone.
    Like st itas with Harnedy .
    Great for St Patricks .

Smith and looney had a lot of hurling at school the last few months so they needed a break and arent in the 24,o halloran was injured ,kingston played a lot also ,so they arent starting wednesday but I expect them to challenge strongly for June .

Browne of kanturk is on the football panel also with casey also I think .

Just for you're info TTM Martin Collins is from Leap not Skibbereen and plays football for Kilmacabea and hurling for St Particks.

St Patricks were founded in 2012 as an amalgamation of four club's: Ilen Rovers, Tadgh MacCarthaigh's, O Donovan Rossa and Kilmacabea to cater for underage hurling from u12 to u21 for these four clubs.

Martin is a superb young talent and is also part of the Cork Minor Football panel also

• Registered Users Posts: 34,147 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Great win in Kerry. Pity that was not the championship result though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭corkrobinhood

Just a quick note on the U21 team,i'm not at all convinced by Dorman in any game i've seen this year and he worries me again ahead of Wednesday night,a quick full forward is gonna cause him a mountain of problems.

As for today,a mighty win!
    Anytime we beat Kerry has to be celebrated,and today was a huge boost.

Against that,as i've said all year the League is very false.Kerry didnt give a monkies about today,if they won they'd have told you it meant the world,but thats all falseness. Even going ahead with that first half goal they never gained any urgency. And when Cork went ahead before half time,and immediately at the start of the second half when Darran O Suillivan got injured,they just threw in the towel there and then.

A nice win,but a very false Kerry team,and as has been said come Championship time they'll be a different animal.

Then again,so will Cork :)

As for the team,Clancy from Clon was very very poor again,he was taking for a tour of the pitch at times today,any ball he won he did so off poor distribution from a Kerry pass or a mistake from his man,because what I say of him he wasnt at the races at all.

Jamie started poorly but improved greatly after that,again though what were they up against.

Thought our half back line were superb,Kelly was back to his best,and Cahalane carried the ball very well,something he has struggled with before as he often turnes over posession far too easily.

Midfield did alright for dirty ball and general link up play,but again I worry what we'd do against 2 ball winners in the air. Trouble ahead there,only delaying the inevitable.

Was impressed by all the forwards,those that started and came on as subs,Barry O Driscoll had one of his best games I think,Hurley was outstanding when letting the ball fly on sight!

A good day and result in Tralee,Dubs on Sunday will be a different kettle of fish to the team we faced a few weeks back but we're able for them.

Hard to judge Cork too much in relation to the intensity kerry had in the second half,are they a spent force or were there holding back.I would feel more comfortable believing they held back as if we do ,then it means Cork must improve by another 15 per cent in july ,and we will be on guard.
    If we do that and raise it again,then we are in a good place.I would hope management down play that win as much as possible and convince lads that was a shadow kerry team,and in Munster,much better we face.

If it is a case they are past it,we have nothing to worry bout.
    Its better we believe there not past it as Complacency is a real danger to cork.I dont believe there Kerry are past it,in terms of beating us.
    They may not win the all ireland ,but there a serious team on there day.
    There age profile,means they cant peak every game ,and pick and choose the battles .Id say they wont loose much sleep tonight.

Todays result brought me back to 1998,cork hurlers a new reigme were building a future.Cork met Clare in the Hurling league semifinal .Cork out paced an old clare team ,(a lot of milage and battles)and ill never forget Loughanne talking on the radio on the Monday after.It was all about ,the pace of cork and the movement.I was a naive then ,i convinced myself ,after that day Cork had clares measure,as we got two goals against one of the greatest defences around and won by 11 points .We won the league.

Ger had clare convinced ,that Cork could humilate them in june,and that the all ireland champions were going to thurles to get a performance.They were primed to win .
    They reinvented themselves on that fear.On todays game,kerry have a real fear of being blown out the gate by a emerging Cork in Cork.No way will kerry lack intensity that day .I cant envisage Marc O se having as bad day or Hurley being allowed to get 7 from play.

6 weeks later in the Munster championship Clare blew us out the gate ,8 point win,and it could hauje been so much more ,and we didnt get a goal.The only highlight for Cork being Ger cunninghan great display in hes last game for Cork .
    Clare were shadow boxing in the league.They had a knockout punch and werent going to waste it in a league game .I had a similar feeling that todays game was similar with kerry .There far from gone,and will take a sclap this year.

What I liked ,is the no fear ,confident display ,but theres a fine line between that and expecting to just turn up.Old reminders of u21 defeats in 2011 and 2013 and in kerry at senior ,games we expected to win should be told over and over again ,and keep minds focused .Cork has a history of false dawns in football ,so my apologies if I aint getting carried away by today.If kerry were at full tilt ,id be beaming.I don't believe they were.Wins in kerry are a rarity at Senior so the Jubilation is understandable,but im taking today as a job done,a lot lot more to do.To me Kerry are Munster Champions,the team to beat.And champions like kerry dont go down easy.

Hallorhan-great game .Certain in May to start.

Shields-in todays game and tyrone showed why he must stay in the full back line.Held O donoughe to 3 from play ,but done as good as anyone could and much better than most on the all star.Super game.Has to stay in that line .

Sullivan-caught for the goal but had a solid game and in just he's 2nd game,will improve.

Clancy-dont think he is a corner back and o brien had him in bother.
    Galvin,cronin and Crowley and cadogan are options.At last cover here though.Clancy was poor ,but do you blame the player for being played out of positon or a manager that keeps playing him there.He is going to meet better forwards than o brien.

Loughrey-soild game ,great going forward.Expect more as he has the talent.

Kelly ,great reading and awarness and superb visioe ,but too exposed at times for lack of pace .
    Taking in the account ,he is just back,unfair to judge him too harshly,so more games to judge .

Cahalane-great game going forward and passing inproved.Hope injury isnt bad.

The key is with Loughrey and Clancy two starters,to find one out of cahalane ,o driscoll,clancy ,dorman for the last position and even Crowley .

Gould-two consistent games ,back to back.Credit due ,kickpassing was great and showed a hunger today .Needs another game against Dublin to fully convince me as today wasnt intense in truth.

O sullivan-tried and worked hard,but maher went of kerry fell a sunder here .Again ,brings a level to the table ,but I think more is needed at that level.And as corkrobinhood say,its inevitable were cleaned out at centrefield some day.Actully kerry were so uncharcestically poor ,even with buckley,you wonder where there will and fight was.
    There fine midfielders.

Cork shouldnt think that today means we have an all star cast.
    Cork crowded midfield ,im sure kerry realised that and once bitten twice shy.

Colm o driscoll-worked and grafted hard,and had huge stamina and handpassed a point.Good game ,but I think o rourke and kerrigan and collins are the same in graft and hard work and running,but crucially more creative and can score with the boot and create.Throw in Mark sugrue ,and kelly if he isnt at half back,you get the same as colm but much much more.Thats my view,yes he was good,but is better than our other options.Brian the brother is an otption in that Brian dooher,Galvin role but a much better footballer,if he isnt at half back .

Kerrigan-1-2 truly awesome,has 4 games back to back and turned a corner.Attuide,desire ,second to none.Keeps that up ,could win an all star.

Collins-great workrate,created a lot and covers so much ground.Id Love to know what a gps tracker on him would tell in ground covered.

Driscoll-got the chance,worked hard but not a relistic starter and I believe we have lads as subs that done more in the league.Didnt score today I believe.He showed for the ball ,but a forward is judged on what he scores also .

Hurley-always on the cards,a display like that .7 from play of the much rated Griffin.Superb of the ball.People say he is greedy,i excuse that,as when got that talent and believe,its a good trait to have.
    Against Dublin,and mayo and kerry has really stood up,and on a beaten team in mayo ,was outstanding,has a huge Desire,hunger ,and will in him , the Greats must have .
    I have always believed he would be an all star.Only problem is if he does not get ball.Unmarkable with fast ball.

Hayes-two points good ,but had murphy in trouble but I wonder could he in championship take a lad to the cleaners like hurley or colm or goulding could.
    Good to a point,but 50 minutes is all he delivers then hes taken of,and Colm and goulding last games.

Colm has got two splendid goals and been unmarkable in hes games,must start.

Hurley ,is a certain starter.

Goulding,it is fair to say hasnt had consistency.However,hes free taking,and proven expierence in big games would imo,make him a starter. .

DOC showed plenty when he came on.The game was over at that stage,but Donnacha is a great sub to have.Hodnett ,injury free has showed real potential .
    Vaughan and Mac eoin are real options.No fear with the forwards .
    We have a position of depth at full back ,if galvin and cadogan(quits hurling)get injury free.

There is Lots of options at half back line.
    The main concerns are a settled half back line and midfield ,and a fit Cadogan and walsh.Dualism isnt going to help recovery with all 3 being injured.Walsh may be fit for next week.Cadogan wont be .Cork play limerick april 25th around in a senior hurling challenge .If that goes ahead two days before the Leauge final for example ,if Cork got to it ,What the story with Cahalane,walsh and cadogan.You would imagine ,football takes precdence ,but still ,4 weeks to Hurling ist game ,these lads needs hurling ,particulary Cadogan.

For example Killan murphy ,im gutted for ,trained all year ,played in 4 games ,and a challenge game,the only real challenge game,didnt play badly yet discarded from the panel .Yet others half committed get panel place .Murphy isnt a half back but he freed up mcdonnell to take cads place .And burke also an option at 7.LIKEwise Spillane,yes had a lot of injuries but cadogan is the same with not much game time either .Cadogan and cahalane start one league game and get a panel place.
    Dual Lads are being picked what they may bring rather than what they can actually bring realistically.

Thanks. Kilmac 14 .I thought leap was close to skibbereen.My mistake.My apologies.
    He is a fine hurler ,really good against kilkenny in 2013 u17 final,when he went to midfield .

He is Very strong and mixes it also.
    Ye will hope to hold on to him in football,kilmaceba lost a few talents to other clubs in times of pasts . I havent seen him at football to be honest .To make this panel of 30 in hurling and over a 100 were trialled is great achievement.To be regarded by Landers and Ring is a huge achievement alone .
    And thats new almagation has worked,in that if produces one talent for cork teams its positive .

I can't see Cork management and players getting big heads after beating Kerry in league game that was meaningless in the second half due to results in other games. Derry effectively ruled out any chance Kerry had of qualifying for the quarter-finals because they fielded a weak team against Mayo. Also, the Dublin match next week will be tough, and Cork will know exactly how good they are after that game. If they do scrape past Dublin, then Mayo or Derry will definitely test Cork in Croke park.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭lukin

I assume the semis will be played in Croker which seems ludicrously unfair.
    Cork top the table (beating Dublin in the process) yet still have to play Dublin on their own ground. Sure what is the benefit in topping the table so?
    Same thing happened to the hurlers: topped the table, Limerick finished second but Limerick were at home in their quarter-final and Cork were away.
    ?????

Personally ,just my opinion ,I hope its in Croke Park.
    We are guaranteed a real test,Dublin will throw the ktichen sink at us at d its in Cork,they may not have the appetite .It seems unfair and isnt just reward for topping the table yes to play them at away ,but I think the more exposure the young lads get in croke park is better for there developmement.Playing in the best ground ,in the best atmosphere ,sets the appetite and the focus in training for the week.

Cuthbert and credit due said it himself,he wants Croker ,as hes team are suited to it .He said the same thing in March wanted the game up there.That is the talk,the statement of intent I want to hear from a Cork manager at all levels..That sets the tone right down the team .To win All irelands ,we wont win in the Two Paircs ,we have to win two games at least in Croker .He said today ,he adores Croke Park,and its made for hes team and he wants more than the 20k ,that were there in The game in March .
    Thats great to hear .

Like next year in the league ,i want us to be drawn kerry away ,as the more exposure they get down there ,considering in 2015 we go to killarney the better.

A wet day in Cork ,means a slow game .Croker park isnt that bad in the same weather .
    To have played there twice ,will be of enormous benfit to Cork if they make the Semifinals in August.Its from the whole matchday expierence,travelling up ,pre match meal,routine etc ,its exactly a pre warm up for championship.Likes of clancy,hurley etc,taking it all in .
    Lads that arent starting ,could do a training session for an hour afterwards,get the feel for the ptich.All the panel gets a benfit .The more exposure we get to Croker the more it feels natural .And the more natural it feels ,the less nerves.Our lads are well used to Cork,you can only improve by taking a team outside of the comfort zones.

Ideal for the younger lads.If Cork beat tipp Wed,u21s wont be selected but the likes of crowley,dorman,o driscoll,mac eoin,vaughan ,maguire etc should travel up bus or train,just sample the build up,be part of the scence,set the tone. The Leauge is all about preparing as best for the championship and after kerry's second half non show yesterday ,I want Croke Park and a Dublin team that will play for 60 minutes at least .If we are beaten,by a better team so be it ,but once we give a performance as good as we got,then its not the end of the world if we loose .As long as were competitve and its not a big loss.

And any weak aeras and they are them ,is better be shown up now than july.Cork fans want a home game or thurles and thats fair enough,I just think to take on the Champions at home will sort the men from the boys .Gavin is well aware of Cork as a potential new force.He wont want to be beaten twice at home .There bound to be up for it .And if it is a double header our game is likely to be 2nd game,so id expect a big Derry crowd and Mayo ,and there bound to stay for our game .A big crowd is ideal for us .Hard to see anything near that crowd at home .What would Cork get at home,10k if even .Hardly a big crowd from Dublin travel down .

A great test for our half back line in the open spaces and for Galvin if he is fit , and, For Gould ,it really shows has he turned that corner ,consistency wise.He always had the talent.He Done well yesterday,but such was the ease we dominated there midfield in the 2nd half,without walsh,it seems to good to be true imo ,when we have struggled all year against teams .It is easier crowd a small ptich in tralee than in Croke park,so crowding the middle isnt an option and leaves too much space elsewhere .In Croke park we got to prevent our problems rather than cure them against mccauley and company.
    That is only good in the evolution of a team .If the midfield are truly as good as yesterday ,Croke park shouldnt be a problem .Its a good test of the players but the management also to change things if they go wrong.

Forwards will deliver in the big ptich,i have no fear.Also croke park is a much better surface for Colm O Neill than any of the two home ptiches .

If kelly is started at centre back,Croke park will answer ,is he our best man for there?? than more so than at home .He looked a bit suspect on the turn at times yesterday.He Deserves another game there though .

I would nearly prefer ,Loughrey,and cahalane and either of the 2 Clancys,Dorman,or Brian O Driscoll in May to start as a unit and ,Kelly at either midfield or half forward .If kelly does the job next week then fair enough .Start him there.

As much as its expensive and a strain to go to Dublin and it does seem unfair ,for the Greater Good of the team and its Evoloution I want Croke Park,as Cuthbert wants also.We would learn so much more regards the team and management even in defeat in Croke park than we would ,imo,to a win in Pairc Ui Rinn

Ideally it would be great if Cork won and played Mayo in Croke Park in the final .As good as Derry are ,there not the fastest team ,and our pace would be too potent in Croke park.It be great to get a chance to rectify the past mistakes against Mayo.And Mayo need silverware badly,they would want to win so it be a great test .To play the two best teams in ireland now is ideal.Training can be tapered down then for the two munster games til we play Kerry in July .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Horse84

When and where did u say the challenge match v limerick is on again lad? Didn't they have one this time last year as well in kilworth, a goal fest it was too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,620 ✭✭✭bren2001

lukin wrote: »
    Cork top the table (beating Dublin in the process) yet still have to play Dublin on their own ground.
    Personally ,just my opinion ,I hope its in Croke Park.
    We are guaranteed a real test,Dublin will throw the ktichen sink at us at d its in Cork,they may not have the appetite .It seems unfair.

The match is on in a neutral venue. Dublins home ground is Parnell Park. We rent Croke Park for the league. Ask most Dublin fans, we would love to play in Parnell Park again. Any team in the country is free to rent it, yous choose not too understandably. Kildare did last year.

Horse84 wrote: »
    When and where did u say the challenge match v limerick is on again lad? Didn't they have one this time last year as well in kilworth, a goal fest it was too.

No venue confirmed as far as im aware

Mallow wouldnt suprise me or that ptich staker wallace

Yeah your bang on ,that game was the same night as the u21 final v galway

As soon as I know I post here

Its for friday 25th I heard if true

bren2001 wrote: »
    The match is on in a neutral venue. Dublins home ground is Parnell Park. We rent Croke Park for the league. Ask most Dublin fans, we would love to play in Parnell Park again. Any team in the country is free to rent it, yous choose not too understandably. Kildare did last year.
    I don't think Parnell Park is suitable for the Dublin footballers, they've got too big a support. They need Croke Park. It does give Dublin an unfair advantage, but I don't think there is a better solution. It is what it is, just got to get on with it.

Croke park it is confirmed.Im happy.

Im sorry ,i cant agree that croke park isnt a home ground for Dublin.
    Whatever red tape or whatever is down on paper,we all know Croke park is well and truly the home for dublin football

Hurlers prefer parnell place,a small ptich but most 3ans ,jim gavin and players want to and agree croke park is home.

Croke park is in dublin ,so thats home.
    Munster travelling to france is an away tie

Toulon arent playing it at the home ptich they regardtit as home,its in france

Cork have to play outside cork so its an away tie

As I said im happy its in croke park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,620 ✭✭✭bren2001

Archer3083 wrote: »
    I don't think Parnell Park is suitable for the Dublin footballers, they've got too big a support. They need Croke Park. It does give Dublin an unfair advantage, but I don't think there is a better solution. It is what it is, just got to get on with it.

An unfair advantage would imply that we are the only people with the option of playing there. Cork are welcome to rent Croke Park for the league and gain some experience. It obviously makes no sense at all to do that. But that is your choice.

It is too small but there is no point in building a 20-30,000 seater when Croke Park is there to be used. Suits the hurlers at least.
    Croke park it is confirmed.Im happy.

Im sorry ,i cant agree that croke park isnt a home ground for Dublin.
    Whatever red tape or whatever is down on paper,we all know Croke park is well and truly the home for dublin football

Hurlers prefer parnell place,a small ptich but most 3ans ,jim gavin and players want to and agree croke park is home.

Croke park is in dublin ,so thats home.

By the same extension, Wigan playing Arsenal in Wembley, Wembley is in London therefore Arsenal are at home. Clearly not true.

For the Leinster and AI the location of Dublins fixtures are decided by the Leinster council and GAA respectively. We have no say. When the Munster final is in Páirc Uí Chaoimh, that is an unfair advantage to Cork. Cork and Kerry being seeded in the Championship is unfair.

None the less, Cork are the only team in the country I both fear and hate playing, especially in the league. It should be a great game. Cork are favourites imo (not with the bookies mind you). Best of luck on Sunday. Not going to derail your thread any further, I'll go back to my occasional monitoring of it.

An unfair advantage would imply that we are the only people with the option of playing there. Cork are welcome to rent Croke Park for the league and gain some experience. It obviously makes no sense at all to do that. But that is your choice.

It is too small but there is no point in building a 20-30,000 seater when Croke Park is there to be used. Suits the hurlers at least.

By the same extension, Wigan playing Arsenal in Wembley, Wembley is in London therefore Arsenal are at home. Clearly not true.

For the Leinster and AI the location of Dublins fixtures are decided by the Leinster council and GAA respectively. We have no say. When the Munster final is in Páirc Uí Chaoimh, that is an unfair advantage to Cork. Cork and Kerry being seeded in the Championship is unfair.

None the less, Cork are the only team in the country I both fear and hate playing, especially in the league. It should be a great game. Cork are favourites imo (not with the bookies mind you). Best of luck on Sunday. Not going to derail your thread any further, I'll go back to my occasional monitoring of it.
    I don't think we need to dwell too much on the debate over Dublin's use of Croke park. It's not ideal, but it's the best solution at the moment. It has effectively become a home ground for the Dublin footballers. That's pretty much established now. Dublin have a big following. It makes complete sense to have Dublin play in Croke park, but it must be noted that this is a clear advantage which other teams do not have. There's no point in complaining about it. This isn't the first year that Dublin have played their league or championship games in Croke park, it won't be the last year. Every team knows this at the start of the year, and will have planned for it. I'm sure Cuthbert is genuine when he says he wants to play Dublin in Croke park, and I'm also sure he's genuine when he says that Croke park suit his players better. It's time to look forward to the game now and hopefully a close intense contest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 495 ✭✭bootybouncer

lukin wrote: »
    Cork top the table (beating Dublin in the process) yet still have to play Dublin on their own ground. Sure what is the benefit in topping the table so?
    Same thing happened to the hurlers: topped the table, Limerick finished second but Limerick were at home in their quarter-final and Cork were away.
    ?????

what are ye complaining about your manager who is doing a great job wants as many games in croke park as they can get to play........................fair enough the cost inc-rued for travelling cork fans is alot, however ye dont travel generally

stop blooding moaning

what are ye complaining about your manager who is doing a great job wants as many games in croke park as they can get to play........................fair enough the cost inc-rued for travelling cork fans is alot, however ye dont travel generally

stop blooding moaning
    I think it's a fair criticism to ask what was the point of topping Division 1? There was no advantage given to Cork for effectively winning their division. This is hardly moaning. Besides Cork have a pretty good record against Dublin in the last few years in Croke park.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Archer3083 wrote: »
    I think it's a fair criticism to ask what was the point of topping Division 1? There was no advantage given to Cork for effectively winning their division. This is hardly moaning. Besides Cork have a pretty good record against Dublin in the last few years in Croke park.

The advantages are plenty, firstly as Number 1 seeds you get to play the number 4 seeds thus avoiding in theory the two best of the other semi finalists, secondly you now have a chance to play the AI champions in the same stadium that you will very very likely have to beat them in later in the year if you have aspirations for Sam, its a perfect test at a perfect time and I'm sure there are alot of managers would aswap places with Cuthbert right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,147 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I can see both sides of argument in this one. Topping the Div seems like no advantage really, but at same time get to play in Croker again against the team most will have to best to get to the top.

Deep down im happy its in Dublin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 495 ✭✭bootybouncer

I bet the cork lads who live and work in the capital of dublin are happy and the other lads down south................not so

I bet the cork lads who live and work in the capital of dublin are happy and the other lads down south................not so
    Well it's understandable that people in West Cork especially wouldn't be happy with a long journey, but that's the way it is. Last week, when you had all the debate about SKY taking over, and putting GAA matches behind a paywall, I was thinking back on how much it cost me to go up to the Galway match last year, and it was well over a 100 euro, between train ticket, match ticket, food, and few beverages. There's nothing cheap about going to GAA matches nowadays, even if they are local. The Munster final last year was 25 a ticket for terraces, that's still more expensive that SKY. I'm not complaining, just observing that GAA matches have always been pay per view whether you go to games, watch on tv (tv licence) or get SKY now.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

Looking forward to my first of hopefully many successful visits in both codes to The Pale this year :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 kilmac14

stop blooding moaning

I'm not sure if you're aware of the geography of Cork County, or the shear bloody size of the county but here is an example for you: From Castletownbere to Cork City takes roughly 2hrs 30 mins.
    Bantry to Cork City 1hr 45 mins
    Skibbereen to Cork City 1hr 30mins.

Now if you want someone to travel from Castletownbere to Dublin next weekend to see the footballers next sunday in croke park at 4pm, here is a basic timetable of their day. Leave Castletownbere at 9am. Arrive in Cork City at approx 11:30am. Now if driving on to Dublin approx, another 2hrs 30 mins (not including stops for food and toilet breaks) arrive in Dublin approx 2pm. Watch Cork play and beat the Dubs...Leave Croker at 5:30pm approx, get out of Dublin at approx 6:15pm. Arrive back in Cork at approx 9pm (taking into account stopping for food and refreshments) and arrive home at approx 11:30pm.

Now that is approximately a 10 hour round trip from Castletownbere to Dublin. Now any Dub fan who tells us to stop moaning and complaining would want to do that trip and not expect to be a little pee'd off that the game is on in Croker.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement