Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 kilmac14

Hard to judge Cork too much in relation to the intensity kerry had in the second half,are they a spent force or were there holding back.I would feel more comfortable believing they held back as if we do ,then it means Cork must improve by another 15 per cent in july ,and we will be on guard.
    If we do that and raise it again,then we are in a good place.I would hope management down play that win as much as possible and convince lads that was a shadow kerry team,and in Munster,much better we face.

If it is a case they are past it,we have nothing to worry bout.
    Its better we believe there not past it as Complacency is a real danger to cork.I dont believe there Kerry are past it,in terms of beating us.
    They may not win the all ireland ,but there a serious team on there day.
    There age profile,means they cant peak every game ,and pick and choose the battles .Id say they wont loose much sleep tonight.

Todays result brought me back to 1998,cork hurlers a new reigme were building a future.Cork met Clare in the Hurling league semifinal .Cork out paced an old clare team ,(a lot of milage and battles)and ill never forget Loughanne talking on the radio on the Monday after.It was all about ,the pace of cork and the movement.I was a naive then ,i convinced myself ,after that day Cork had clares measure,as we got two goals against one of the greatest defences around and won by 11 points .We won the league.

Ger had clare convinced ,that Cork could humilate them in june,and that the all ireland champions were going to thurles to get a performance.They were primed to win .
    They reinvented themselves on that fear.On todays game,kerry have a real fear of being blown out the gate by a emerging Cork in Cork.No way will kerry lack intensity that day .I cant envisage Marc O se having as bad day or Hurley being allowed to get 7 from play.

6 weeks later in the Munster championship Clare blew us out the gate ,8 point win,and it could hauje been so much more ,and we didnt get a goal.The only highlight for Cork being Ger cunninghan great display in hes last game for Cork .
    Clare were shadow boxing in the league.They had a knockout punch and werent going to waste it in a league game .I had a similar feeling that todays game was similar with kerry .There far from gone,and will take a sclap this year.

What I liked ,is the no fear ,confident display ,but theres a fine line between that and expecting to just turn up.Old reminders of u21 defeats in 2011 and 2013 and in kerry at senior ,games we expected to win should be told over and over again ,and keep minds focused .Cork has a history of false dawns in football ,so my apologies if I aint getting carried away by today.If kerry were at full tilt ,id be beaming.I don't believe they were.Wins in kerry are a rarity at Senior so the Jubilation is understandable,but im taking today as a job done,a lot lot more to do.To me Kerry are Munster Champions,the team to beat.And champions like kerry dont go down easy.

Hallorhan-great game .Certain in May to start.

Shields-in todays game and tyrone showed why he must stay in the full back line.Held O donoughe to 3 from play ,but done as good as anyone could and much better than most on the all star.Super game.Has to stay in that line .

Sullivan-caught for the goal but had a solid game and in just he's 2nd game,will improve.

Clancy-dont think he is a corner back and o brien had him in bother.
    Galvin,cronin and Crowley and cadogan are options.At last cover here though.Clancy was poor ,but do you blame the player for being played out of positon or a manager that keeps playing him there.He is going to meet better forwards than o brien.

Loughrey-soild game ,great going forward.Expect more as he has the talent.

Kelly ,great reading and awarness and superb visioe ,but too exposed at times for lack of pace .
    Taking in the account ,he is just back,unfair to judge him too harshly,so more games to judge .

Cahalane-great game going forward and passing inproved.Hope injury isnt bad.

The key is with Loughrey and Clancy two starters,to find one out of cahalane ,o driscoll,clancy ,dorman for the last position and even Crowley .

Gould-two consistent games ,back to back.Credit due ,kickpassing was great and showed a hunger today .Needs another game against Dublin to fully convince me as today wasnt intense in truth.

O sullivan-tried and worked hard,but maher went of kerry fell a sunder here .Again ,brings a level to the table ,but I think more is needed at that level.And as corkrobinhood say,its inevitable were cleaned out at centrefield some day.Actully kerry were so uncharcestically poor ,even with buckley,you wonder where there will and fight was.
    There fine midfielders.

Cork shouldnt think that today means we have an all star cast.
    Cork crowded midfield ,im sure kerry realised that and once bitten twice shy.

Colm o driscoll-worked and grafted hard,and had huge stamina and handpassed a point.Good game ,but I think o rourke and kerrigan and collins are the same in graft and hard work and running,but crucially more creative and can score with the boot and create.Throw in Mark sugrue ,and kelly if he isnt at half back,you get the same as colm but much much more.Thats my view,yes he was good,but is better than our other options.Brian the brother is an otption in that Brian dooher,Galvin role but a much better footballer,if he isnt at half back .

Kerrigan-1-2 truly awesome,has 4 games back to back and turned a corner.Attuide,desire ,second to none.Keeps that up ,could win an all star.

Collins-great workrate,created a lot and covers so much ground.Id Love to know what a gps tracker on him would tell in ground covered.

Driscoll-got the chance,worked hard but not a relistic starter and I believe we have lads as subs that done more in the league.Didnt score today I believe.He showed for the ball ,but a forward is judged on what he scores also .

Hurley-always on the cards,a display like that .7 from play of the much rated Griffin.Superb of the ball.People say he is greedy,i excuse that,as when got that talent and believe,its a good trait to have.
    Against Dublin,and mayo and kerry has really stood up,and on a beaten team in mayo ,was outstanding,has a huge Desire,hunger ,and will in him , the Greats must have .
    I have always believed he would be an all star.Only problem is if he does not get ball.Unmarkable with fast ball.

Hayes-two points good ,but had murphy in trouble but I wonder could he in championship take a lad to the cleaners like hurley or colm or goulding could.
    Good to a point,but 50 minutes is all he delivers then hes taken of,and Colm and goulding last games.

Colm has got two splendid goals and been unmarkable in hes games,must start.

Hurley ,is a certain starter.

Goulding,it is fair to say hasnt had consistency.However,hes free taking,and proven expierence in big games would imo,make him a starter. .

DOC showed plenty when he came on.The game was over at that stage,but Donnacha is a great sub to have.Hodnett ,injury free has showed real potential .
    Vaughan and Mac eoin are real options.No fear with the forwards .
    We have a position of depth at full back ,if galvin and cadogan(quits hurling)get injury free.

There is Lots of options at half back line.
    The main concerns are a settled half back line and midfield ,and a fit Cadogan and walsh.Dualism isnt going to help recovery with all 3 being injured.Walsh may be fit for next week.Cadogan wont be .Cork play limerick april 25th around in a senior hurling challenge .If that goes ahead two days before the Leauge final for example ,if Cork got to it ,What the story with Cahalane,walsh and cadogan.You would imagine ,football takes precdence ,but still ,4 weeks to Hurling ist game ,these lads needs hurling ,particulary Cadogan.

For example Killan murphy ,im gutted for ,trained all year ,played in 4 games ,and a challenge game,the only real challenge game,didnt play badly yet discarded from the panel .Yet others half committed get panel place .Murphy isnt a half back but he freed up mcdonnell to take cads place .And burke also an option at 7.LIKEwise Spillane,yes had a lot of injuries but cadogan is the same with not much game time either .Cadogan and cahalane start one league game and get a panel place.
    Dual Lads are being picked what they may bring rather than what they can actually bring realistically.

Thanks. Kilmac 14 .I thought leap was close to skibbereen.My mistake.My apologies.
    He is a fine hurler ,really good against kilkenny in 2013 u17 final,when he went to midfield .

He is Very strong and mixes it also.
    Ye will hope to hold on to him in football,kilmaceba lost a few talents to other clubs in times of pasts . I havent seen him at football to be honest .To make this panel of 30 in hurling and over a 100 were trialled is great achievement.To be regarded by Landers and Ring is a huge achievement alone .
    And thats new almagation has worked,in that if produces one talent for cork teams its positive

No problem TTM, ya he has good pedigree, his uncle is Noel Collins who has had a lot of involvement with Cork underage teams in the past and is still heavily involved still with CIT.

His other uncle would have played senior hurling for Newcestown in the 70's so as you can see he didnt lick it off the stones down here. Ya and leap is only 6 miles from skibb so you were'nt far out.

He is a fearless young lad and has all the talent needed to succeed with Cork at both hurling and football. Hence why he's on the Minor Football panel as well

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,883 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Glad to see the game is on in Croker and it is Dublin's home ground really ( I know Parnell park blah blah blah ) but in the last few seasons how many games have they played there v Croker ?

It is an advantage for Dublin but it's also a disadvantage, more expectation etc

Cork will have a right old rattle off of Dublin and they have quite a good record there in recent years. Cork's inside forwards in particular will prove to be an absolute handful for Dublin - toss a coin game I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Horse84

kilmac14 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if you're aware of the geography of Cork County, or the shear bloody size of the county but here is an example for you: From Castletownbere to Cork City takes roughly 2hrs 30 mins.
    Bantry to Cork City 1hr 45 mins
    Skibbereen to Cork City 1hr 30mins.

Now if you want someone to travel from Castletownbere to Dublin next weekend to see the footballers next sunday in croke park at 4pm, here is a basic timetable of their day. Leave Castletownbere at 9am. Arrive in Cork City at approx 11:30am. Now if driving on to Dublin approx, another 2hrs 30 mins (not including stops for food and toilet breaks) arrive in Dublin approx 2pm. Watch Cork play and beat the Dubs...Leave Croker at 5:30pm approx, get out of Dublin at approx 6:15pm. Arrive back in Cork at approx 9pm (taking into account stopping for food and refreshments) and arrive home at approx 11:30pm.

Now that is approximately a 10 hour round trip from Castletownbere to Dublin. Now any Dub fan who tells us to stop moaning and complaining would want to do that trip and not expect to be a little pee'd off that the game is on in Croker.

Aboy lad well said and that's coming from a north cork man :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

No doubt having it in croke park is not fan friendly for cork but overall its very beneficial to have it on there-playing dublin which should have a nice crowd is the perfect set up on the learning curve for both team and management .interesting to see gould against mdm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

The Kerry Minor Hurling Panel to play Cork in the Electric Ireland Munster GAA Minor Hurling Championship in Páirc Uí Rinn on Wednesday evening is as follows:

Aaron Murphy (Dr Crokes)
    Adrian O'Mahony (Crotta O'Neills)
    Brandon Barrett (Causeway)
    Chris Doncel (Dr Crokes)
    Daniel O'Carroll (Ballyduff)
    Darragh Shanahan (Lixnaw)
    David Silles (Lixnaw)
    Fionan Mackessy (St. Brendans) (captain)
    Fionán O'Sullivan (Kenmare)
    Jack Goulding (Ballyduff)
    Jack Leniha (Dr Crokes)
    Jamie Barrett (Causeway)
    Jason Diggins (Causeway)
    Joe Diggins (Causeway)
    John Buckley (Lixnaw)
    Jordan Brick (Kilmoyley)
    Jordan Conway (Crotta O'Neills)
    Michael Leane (Ballyheigue)
    Michael Lynch (Causeway)
    Michael O'Leary (Abbeydorney)
    Robert Collins (Kilmoyley)
    Stephen Murphy (Causeway)
    Stephen O'Sullivan (Abbeydorney)
    Willie O'Connor (Lixnaw)

There due to name the team tommorrow.

There main dangermen are Jordan Brick ,at 14 (surely related to Shane brick ,hurled with ucc,tasty hurler)Fionn o sullivan at 15 .

Michael o leary is meant to be a good hurler in the half forwards and free taker with half back stephen o sullivan a good half back .
    You would expect Barrett and Shanahan to start in the full back unit,that unit shipped 3 goals to wicklow in a b 1/4 final last year.
    Dolan and Kinery could do real damage,particulary Dolan whos touch and speed is lightening fast.With a yellow helmet, he is like joe deane.Small but a crisp,a deliocus hurler in that hes pure skill .Awesome skill.

Kinery is strong and direct and powerful .Has hurling also .Sean hayes likewise.
    Cork should set a target requirment of 4 goals.Limerick if they played them would be intent on goals,Wallis has that drilled in to them.

Limerick name there team tommorrow.I post it here as they could be our opponents in july.
    Interesting how they handle the pressure though ,and the best team since 84 tag ,limerick media labelled them with .There 8/15 with the bookies to beat tipp.I have watched them train though and in fairness there a top team.Cregan and wallis are shrewd men.

At u16 they just beat tipp by two points.I have a feeling tipp could rattle them.Whether they beat them is another story .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

Hard to judge Cork too much in relation to the intensity kerry had in the second half,are they a spent force or were there holding back.I would feel more comfortable believing they held back as if we do ,then it means Cork must improve by another 15 per cent in july ,and we will be on guard.
    If we do that and raise it again,then we are in a good place.I would hope management down play that win as much as possible and convince lads that was a shadow kerry team,and in Munster,much better we face.

If it is a case they are past it,we have nothing to worry bout.
    Its better we believe there not past it as Complacency is a real danger to cork.I dont believe there Kerry are past it,in terms of beating us.
    They may not win the all ireland ,but there a serious team on there day.
    There age profile,means they cant peak every game ,and pick and choose the battles .Id say they wont loose much sleep tonight.

Todays result brought me back to 1998,cork hurlers a new reigme were building a future.Cork met Clare in the Hurling league semifinal .Cork out paced an old clare team ,(a lot of milage and battles)and ill never forget Loughanne talking on the radio on the Monday after.It was all about ,the pace of cork and the movement.I was a naive then ,i convinced myself ,after that day Cork had clares measure,as we got two goals against one of the greatest defences around and won by 11 points .We won the league.

Ger had clare convinced ,that Cork could humilate them in june,and that the all ireland champions were going to thurles to get a performance.They were primed to win .
    They reinvented themselves on that fear.On todays game,kerry have a real fear of being blown out the gate by a emerging Cork in Cork.No way will kerry lack intensity that day .I cant envisage Marc O se having as bad day or Hurley being allowed to get 7 from play.

6 weeks later in the Munster championship Clare blew us out the gate ,8 point win,and it could hauje been so much more ,and we didnt get a goal.The only highlight for Cork being Ger cunninghan great display in hes last game for Cork .
    Clare were shadow boxing in the league.They had a knockout punch and werent going to waste it in a league game .I had a similar feeling that todays game was similar with kerry .There far from gone,and will take a sclap this year.

What I liked ,is the no fear ,confident display ,but theres a fine line between that and expecting to just turn up.Old reminders of u21 defeats in 2011 and 2013 and in kerry at senior ,games we expected to win should be told over and over again ,and keep minds focused .Cork has a history of false dawns in football ,so my apologies if I aint getting carried away by today.If kerry were at full tilt ,id be beaming.I don't believe they were.Wins in kerry are a rarity at Senior so the Jubilation is understandable,but im taking today as a job done,a lot lot more to do.To me Kerry are Munster Champions,the team to beat.And champions like kerry dont go down easy.

Hallorhan-great game .Certain in May to start.

Shields-in todays game and tyrone showed why he must stay in the full back line.Held O donoughe to 3 from play ,but done as good as anyone could and much better than most on the all star.Super game.Has to stay in that line .

Sullivan-caught for the goal but had a solid game and in just he's 2nd game,will improve.

Clancy-dont think he is a corner back and o brien had him in bother.
    Galvin,cronin and Crowley and cadogan are options.At last cover here though.Clancy was poor ,but do you blame the player for being played out of positon or a manager that keeps playing him there.He is going to meet better forwards than o brien.

Loughrey-soild game ,great going forward.Expect more as he has the talent.

Kelly ,great reading and awarness and superb visioe ,but too exposed at times for lack of pace .
    Taking in the account ,he is just back,unfair to judge him too harshly,so more games to judge .

Cahalane-great game going forward and passing inproved.Hope injury isnt bad.

The key is with Loughrey and Clancy two starters,to find one out of cahalane ,o driscoll,clancy ,dorman for the last position and even Crowley .

Gould-two consistent games ,back to back.Credit due ,kickpassing was great and showed a hunger today .Needs another game against Dublin to fully convince me as today wasnt intense in truth.

O sullivan-tried and worked hard,but maher went of kerry fell a sunder here .Again ,brings a level to the table ,but I think more is needed at that level.And as corkrobinhood say,its inevitable were cleaned out at centrefield some day.Actully kerry were so uncharcestically poor ,even with buckley,you wonder where there will and fight was.
    There fine midfielders.

Cork shouldnt think that today means we have an all star cast.
    Cork crowded midfield ,im sure kerry realised that and once bitten twice shy.

Colm o driscoll-worked and grafted hard,and had huge stamina and handpassed a point.Good game ,but I think o rourke and kerrigan and collins are the same in graft and hard work and running,but crucially more creative and can score with the boot and create.Throw in Mark sugrue ,and kelly if he isnt at half back,you get the same as colm but much much more.Thats my view,yes he was good,but is better than our other options.Brian the brother is an otption in that Brian dooher,Galvin role but a much better footballer,if he isnt at half back .

Kerrigan-1-2 truly awesome,has 4 games back to back and turned a corner.Attuide,desire ,second to none.Keeps that up ,could win an all star.

Collins-great workrate,created a lot and covers so much ground.Id Love to know what a gps tracker on him would tell in ground covered.

Driscoll-got the chance,worked hard but not a relistic starter and I believe we have lads as subs that done more in the league.Didnt score today I believe.He showed for the ball ,but a forward is judged on what he scores also .

Hurley-always on the cards,a display like that .7 from play of the much rated Griffin.Superb of the ball.People say he is greedy,i excuse that,as when got that talent and believe,its a good trait to have.
    Against Dublin,and mayo and kerry has really stood up,and on a beaten team in mayo ,was outstanding,has a huge Desire,hunger ,and will in him , the Greats must have .
    I have always believed he would be an all star.Only problem is if he does not get ball.Unmarkable with fast ball.

Hayes-two points good ,but had murphy in trouble but I wonder could he in championship take a lad to the cleaners like hurley or colm or goulding could.
    Good to a point,but 50 minutes is all he delivers then hes taken of,and Colm and goulding last games.

Colm has got two splendid goals and been unmarkable in hes games,must start.

Hurley ,is a certain starter.

Goulding,it is fair to say hasnt had consistency.However,hes free taking,and proven expierence in big games would imo,make him a starter. .

DOC showed plenty when he came on.The game was over at that stage,but Donnacha is a great sub to have.Hodnett ,injury free has showed real potential .
    Vaughan and Mac eoin are real options.No fear with the forwards .
    We have a position of depth at full back ,if galvin and cadogan(quits hurling)get injury free.

There is Lots of options at half back line.
    The main concerns are a settled half back line and midfield ,and a fit Cadogan and walsh.Dualism isnt going to help recovery with all 3 being injured.Walsh may be fit for next week.Cadogan wont be .Cork play limerick april 25th around in a senior hurling challenge .If that goes ahead two days before the Leauge final for example ,if Cork got to it ,What the story with Cahalane,walsh and cadogan.You would imagine ,football takes precdence ,but still ,4 weeks to Hurling ist game ,these lads needs hurling ,particulary Cadogan.

For example Killan murphy ,im gutted for ,trained all year ,played in 4 games ,and a challenge game,the only real challenge game,didnt play badly yet discarded from the panel .Yet others half committed get panel place .Murphy isnt a half back but he freed up mcdonnell to take cads place .And burke also an option at 7.LIKEwise Spillane,yes had a lot of injuries but cadogan is the same with not much game time either .Cadogan and cahalane start one league game and get a panel place.
    Dual Lads are being picked what they may bring rather than what they can actually bring realistically.

Thanks. Kilmac 14 .I thought leap was close to skibbereen.My mistake.My apologies.
    He is a fine hurler ,really good against kilkenny in 2013 u17 final,when he went to midfield .

He is Very strong and mixes it also.
    Ye will hope to hold on to him in football,kilmaceba lost a few talents to other clubs in times of pasts . I havent seen him at football to be honest .To make this panel of 30 in hurling and over a 100 were trialled is great achievement.To be regarded by Landers and Ring is a huge achievement alone .
    And thats new almagation has worked,in that if produces one talent for cork teams its positive .
    What's happened to you TTM1? Have you been meditating or going to anger management classes? Nice to have the excellent match reports back this weekend! Much appreciated :)

Anyone hear news on ruairi deane's injury? I'm hearing that it's not as extensive as initially feared. Great news for the panel if true

Superb news,apparently could be playing in around 5 weeks or less,if thats true what I heard.

He never had an operation,he met the surgeon and they agreed to let the swelling go down and then reassess it in a month.Tadhg o sullivan I think was the surgeon,he is one of the best around so when he didnt see a need to operate ,must be good news .

Thats great news and with Gould if hes consistent ,walsh injury free and Dinneen cork have four lads do a job ,at intercounty and cuthbert wanted 4 players ,2 to cover each position.

The one remaining problem is will he be picked by management.He wasnt in favour over Andrew before he got injured.People say Deane isnt up to it,and that may be the case,time shall prove either way,the bottom line is ,though he is beuer than Andrew and even if he isnt the answer at 9,much much better choice.Better use of possesion,can score,out performed andrew in game v westmeath,club team of the the year ,etc etc .

We have limerick or clare on 21st june,its imperative ,deane and dinneen get a game each.
    Kerry isn til 6th july ,12 weeks plenty time get Dinneen match fit.Hes naturally fit anyway,from farming.Like john galvin limerick ,carrying heavy buckets and general farm labour ,hes good shape.He must get games cork in challenges also.The lad has a superb temparment and was superb against crokes for haven .
    Id have no problem throwing him in ,20 to go in cork to win ball in the pairc against kerry .Hes brave,strong,loves the hard physicality and kicks very well.Big hands like Paul o connell,you wont wrestle it away from him.

He could be secret weapon as kerry arent that familar with him.

Walsh is a starter .Gould if he keep it up could be .But deane and and Dinneen are powerful ball winners.Solve midfield and yes then and only then we have a chance of beating kerry and winning an all ireland.Then I go from hope to a real belief.

The key is management .They rate Andrew hughely .They must forget bout 2nd half when kerry didnt want to know,maher was off and buckley was at h forward.Sheehan hadnt the pace or legs to trouble cork there.100 per cent guarantee he wont be there at midfield in july.
    Managaement must look at the 7 games played and while Andrew has brought something to the table,work rate,graft ,hes still below what other counties in top 4 have .

I hope dinneen isnt cut now from the panel deane is okay .
    Laoire I rate but hasnt got any game time,that was completly wrong.He is likely to be cut from it.6 minutes he got against kerry was a joke in fairness .

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

kilmac14 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if you're aware of the geography of Cork County, or the shear bloody size of the county but here is an example for you: From Castletownbere to Cork City takes roughly 2hrs 30 mins.
    Bantry to Cork City 1hr 45 mins
    Skibbereen to Cork City 1hr 30mins.

Now if you want someone to travel from Castletownbere to Dublin next weekend to see the footballers next sunday in croke park at 4pm, here is a basic timetable of their day. Leave Castletownbere at 9am. Arrive in Cork City at approx 11:30am. Now if driving on to Dublin approx, another 2hrs 30 mins (not including stops for food and toilet breaks) arrive in Dublin approx 2pm. Watch Cork play and beat the Dubs...Leave Croker at 5:30pm approx, get out of Dublin at approx 6:15pm. Arrive back in Cork at approx 9pm (taking into account stopping for food and refreshments) and arrive home at approx 11:30pm.

Now that is approximately a 10 hour round trip from Castletownbere to Dublin. Now any Dub fan who tells us to stop moaning and complaining would want to do that trip and not expect to be a little pee'd off that the game is on in Croker.

I was speaking to a man from Castletownbere, halfway to Dublin is Mitchlestown, which is still in Cork, so when you think about it that way, its a huge distance to cover. Its handy for people living near enough to the motorway and can get on it, but a nightmare for others, especially West Cork!

I didnt realise Martin Collins was related to Noel.Noel I would know of alright,does great work with cit.Good blood lines so with Martin .Hes been developing nicely with development spuads down the years.I cant wait til Wednesday.A new dawn ,a new era with Cork minor Hurling .Hope and confidence after 13 years of doom and gloom bar the odd year .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭corkrobinhood

Personally ,just my opinion ,I hope its in Croke Park.
    We are guaranteed a real test,Dublin will throw the ktichen sink at us at d its in Cork,they may not have the appetite .It seems unfair and isnt just reward for topping the table yes to play them at away ,but I think the more exposure the young lads get in croke park is better for there developmement.Playing in the best ground ,in the best atmosphere ,sets the appetite and the focus in training for the week.

Cuthbert and credit due said it himself,he wants Croker ,as hes team are suited to it .He said the same thing in March wanted the game up there.That is the talk,the statement of intent I want to hear from a Cork manager at all levels..That sets the tone right down the team .To win All irelands ,we wont win in the Two Paircs ,we have to win two games at least in Croker .He said today ,he adores Croke Park,and its made for hes team and he wants more than the 20k ,that were there in The game in March .
    Thats great to hear .

Like next year in the league ,i want us to be drawn kerry away ,as the more exposure they get down there ,considering in 2015 we go to killarney the better.

A wet day in Cork ,means a slow game .Croker park isnt that bad in the same weather .
    To have played there twice ,will be of enormous benfit to Cork if they make the Semifinals in August.Its from the whole matchday expierence,travelling up ,pre match meal,routine etc ,its exactly a pre warm up for championship.Likes of clancy,hurley etc,taking it all in .
    Lads that arent starting ,could do a training session for an hour afterwards,get the feel for the ptich.All the panel gets a benfit .The more exposure we get to Croker the more it feels natural .And the more natural it feels ,the less nerves.Our lads are well used to Cork,you can only improve by taking a team outside of the comfort zones.

Ideal for the younger lads.If Cork beat tipp Wed,u21s wont be selected but the likes of crowley,dorman,o driscoll,mac eoin,vaughan ,maguire etc should travel up bus or train,just sample the build up,be part of the scence,set the tone. The Leauge is all about preparing as best for the championship and after kerry's second half non show yesterday ,I want Croke Park and a Dublin team that will play for 60 minutes at least .If we are beaten,by a better team so be it ,but once we give a performance as good as we got,then its not the end of the world if we loose .As long as were competitve and its not a big loss.

And any weak aeras and they are them ,is better be shown up now than july.Cork fans want a home game or thurles and thats fair enough,I just think to take on the Champions at home will sort the men from the boys .Gavin is well aware of Cork as a potential new force.He wont want to be beaten twice at home .There bound to be up for it .And if it is a double header our game is likely to be 2nd game,so id expect a big Derry crowd and Mayo ,and there bound to stay for our game .A big crowd is ideal for us .Hard to see anything near that crowd at home .What would Cork get at home,10k if even .Hardly a big crowd from Dublin travel down .

A great test for our half back line in the open spaces and for Galvin if he is fit , and, For Gould ,it really shows has he turned that corner ,consistency wise.He always had the talent.He Done well yesterday,but such was the ease we dominated there midfield in the 2nd half,without walsh,it seems to good to be true imo ,when we have struggled all year against teams .It is easier crowd a small ptich in tralee than in Croke park,so crowding the middle isnt an option and leaves too much space elsewhere .In Croke park we got to prevent our problems rather than cure them against mccauley and company.
    That is only good in the evolution of a team .If the midfield are truly as good as yesterday ,Croke park shouldnt be a problem .Its a good test of the players but the management also to change things if they go wrong.

Forwards will deliver in the big ptich,i have no fear.Also croke park is a much better surface for Colm O Neill than any of the two home ptiches .

If kelly is started at centre back,Croke park will answer ,is he our best man for there?? than more so than at home .He looked a bit suspect on the turn at times yesterday.He Deserves another game there though .

I would nearly prefer ,Loughrey,and cahalane and either of the 2 Clancys,Dorman,or Brian O Driscoll in May to start as a unit and ,Kelly at either midfield or half forward .If kelly does the job next week then fair enough .Start him there.

As much as its expensive and a strain to go to Dublin and it does seem unfair ,for the Greater Good of the team and its Evoloution I want Croke Park,as Cuthbert wants also.We would learn so much more regards the team and management even in defeat in Croke park than we would ,imo,to a win in Pairc Ui Rinn

Ideally it would be great if Cork won and played Mayo in Croke Park in the final .As good as Derry are ,there not the fastest team ,and our pace would be too potent in Croke park.It be great to get a chance to rectify the past mistakes against Mayo.And Mayo need silverware badly,they would want to win so it be a great test .To play the two best teams in ireland now is ideal.Training can be tapered down then for the two munster games til we play Kerry in July .

Thats probably one of the best posts you've made since I joined up here.

Well said.

I would have been in the 'not Corker again for fcuk sake' camp ( yet I always travel up!) but everything you said ( and Cuthbert ) is spot on.

Practise makes perfect,and a few years ago Cork were almsot unplayable in Croker simply because they knew the place inside out.

As for Ruairi Deane,I understood he was to meet his specialist yesterday. His mother was saying at the Tyrone game that they were hopeful it wasnt as bad as first feared,but yesterday was to tell alot.

Looking forward now to the Pairc tomorrow night for the U21 final,not sure if i'll make it in for the Minor game yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭zetecescort

any news on when Conor O'Sullivan will play again? I presume there will be a few rounds of the county championship between now and the Waterford game, will he be fit for those?

The Cork Senior Football team to play Dublin on Sunday at 4pm in Croke Park will line out as follows:

1. Ken O’Halloran (Bishopstown)
    2. Michael Shields (St. Finbarr’s – Captain)
    3. Jamie O’Sullivan (Bishopstown)
    4. Tom Clancy (Clonakilty)
    5. James Loughrey (Mallow)
    6. Patrick Kelly (Ballincollig)
    7. Damien Cahalane (Castlehaven)
    8. Fintan Goold (Macroom)
    9. Andrew O’Sullivan (Castletownbere)
    10. Mark Collins (Castlehaven)
    11. Donncha O’Connor (Ballydesmond)
    12. Paul Kerrigan (Nemo Rangers)
    13. Daniel Goulding (Éire Óg)
    14. Brian Hurley (Castlehaven)
    15. John Hayes (Carbery Rangers)

Brian Cuthbert has made two changes to the team for Sunday’s League Semi-Final: Donncha O’Connor and Daniel Goulding replace the injured Colm O’Driscoll and Barry O’Driscoll.

The substitutes will be announced on Thursday as there are a number of injury concerns.

The following players were not considered due to injury: Aidan Walsh, Eoin Cadogan and Donal Óg Hodnett (all hamstring), John O’Rourke (groin), Barry O’Driscoll (broken thumb) and Colm O’Driscoll (calf). There’s also good news for Ruairi Deane, whose surgeon yesterday confirmed that his knee injury does not now require surgery, and who will return to training following another two weeks of rehab.

two O'Driscolls are unlucky to miss out given the form they are in. won alot of ball in Tralee and this will be our weakness on Sunday imo.

Reading that i'd be very worried about Clancy. He was given the runaround below in Tralee on Sunday,never looked in control at any stage,i'd have my own doubts about him.

O Rourke is a huge loss aswell for his pace alone,coming off breaking ball in midfield and running at defences.

Is there any date fixed for the football league final?

27th in Croke Park

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,883 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Liking the confidence !! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

two O'Driscolls are unlucky to miss out given the form they are in. won alot of ball in Tralee and this will be our weakness on Sunday imo.

They're both injured. Colm was in a bad way being helped off the field last Sunday. Pity cos he put in a decent performance. Barry was ok aswell, but wouldn't see him making the team with everyone fit myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Blue Magic

Is it a semi-final in Croker v Dublin on Sunday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Yes. 4pm throw in. Mayo v Derry is on at 2.

That football team picked is good 1-7 bar at 4.Walsh is a massive loss.Gould if he steps,is okay.Andrew didnt play against Dublin ,he didnt start.Sunday is a huge ask.
    Donnacha deserves to start,and can create,a great target man .
    Hayes,id prefer Colm .
    Hayes has got 1-8 in the league.
    Colm in just one start ,no real training or match fitness got 2-9 ,2-8 coming from 4 subs apperances.That tells its own story .
    Colm should have started,needs games.I can't understand in that they rushed him back and started him in a poor ptich in Mayo ,with a two man full forward line.Now Two games later,in the best ptich in ireland he doesnt start.I hope they dont think Colm is a supersub and keep using him as that ,in that he is wasted in that role and has so much to offer.Should have started.

The key was to learn from March and against Kerry ,dont pick half backs to do a corner back role and improve cause Dublin will be at least ten per cent better on sunday than they were in March.How much we have improved we will find out .

A performance is key .Get that against a fully fit ,Dublin team clearly up for it ,learn from mistakes and were in a great position.A win is a bonus,the performance is.A loss is not a disaster.If were beaten by ten points etc then yes it is .

We have won 3 out of the last 6 games against them in Croke park,a league final and 2010 all ireland semi being the standouts .
    That team will struggle with that midfield and Clancy is at corner back is a risky call.A good player being made look poor.
    What is the obession with playing half backs in the full back line bar Crowley who has worked.Fair enough if galvin and cadogan are injured .Cronin must be fit though?
    If we have no other choice fair game,if we have options do its a questionable call.

I think we are in for tough game in that sector .
    Great test of kelly at centre back defensively as casey had him in trouble .
    And a great test ,has Gould really turned a corner.
    Great to see jamie sul at full back .
    I think we have the potential to score ,but my fear is limited possesion at midfield is a two fold problem
    Our backs are under incessant presure against the best scoring team in the country
    Our forwards wont get a fast supply of ball
    Clancy is in for a long day .
    Were very strong in most aeras.We can get a performance if the management make changes fast if clancy,and midfield etc are in trouble.Colm should be introduced start of the 2nd half .

The u21 game is very important .To win in Munster is another key game in the future of cork.Not a dissaster if we loose (kerry was big scalp we wanted at the start)but it would be great to win it and get more games for the younger lads .

If tipp win ,credit due,id rather loose to them than kerry .And there a fine side,well coached and have talented players (Quinlvan and Riordain would walk on the Cork team or any team at this grade in the Country).Powerful but extremely talented in the basic skills .They have come to relish playing Cork ,than in times of past feared us.Tipp beat us in the Minor regulary and in Cork too .There a real real danger to us.They have a Hasting Cup behind them ,Cork had challenges they had competive games .They Beat Donegal in a challenge .A serious,serious side.

If we loose,i hope they win it outright.
    The 3 games we have to play to go all the way are really tough now.Beat Tipp,and likey to go the Ennis(a graveyard for many cork teams)for a semifinal against tough,dogged Roscommon team.
    Win that and you got Dublin/Donegal/Cavan.
    Cavan are a formidabble team and likd Donegal play a blanket style game.They pushed us all the way last year.

You would be very brave to call the outright winner ,and while Dublin are the team to beat,there beatable all the same .Its live on 103fm tommorrow.
    The senior game is on tg4 sunday live.

The Limerick minor team to play tipp,7 that started last year,5 more on the panel,and Fanning would have but for taking a break and playing rubgy.A great talent.

Ten of that team aprox have played Harty cup with Doon,castletroy and Ard scoil.And theres the like Hedderman in the subs that won a All ireland title C with Pallas .
    Paddy Loughlin in the subs has played Harty cup with Chareville .
    Loughlin is some talent,only 16,captain an outstanding centre back in the Kinnane cup(Munster b competion u16) as well as harty , winning charville team ,and so good that he made the Harty cup team starting all the group games and quater final at corner back .

Flanagan starting has won a Limerick B hurling title with Diarmuid buckley cork with Hazlewood .
    If cork and limerick do meet its not just management in jerry wallis links to cork,its we have a cork lad playing with a limerick school ,and they have a limerick lad playing in a cork school ,and browne casey and o loughlin are teamates with charville cbs and then diarmuid buckley and Flanagan are teammates at hazlewood .
    It would be an enthralling and fasincating contest cork v limerick .

They have some half back line,cosgrave ,lynch(Munster minor 2013 player of the year),lyons and at half forward ,Barry nash(anthony cousin)cian lynch and Flanganan.
    There the team to beat and if form book goes to script Corks opponents the end of june .I wouldnt bar injury see much change in that team should they win.
    Limerick are the Leaders in Munster underage Hurling,today Kilmallock won a Munster u 15b title.

LIMERICK: Eoghan McNamara (Doon); Sean Finn (Bruff), Darragh Fanning (Pallasgreen), Jamie Porter (Monaleen); Andrew La Touche Cosgrave (Monaleen), Ronan Lynch (Na Piarsaigh), Lorcan Lyons (Monaleen), Robbie Hanley (Kilmallock), Cian O’Brien (Mungret), Seamus Flanagan (Feoghanagh-Castlemahon), Barry Nash (South Liberties), Cian Lynch (Patrickswell, Tom Morrissey (Ahane), Ed Doyle (Monaleen), Colin Ryan (Pallasgreen). Subs: Cian Hedderman (Ballybrown), Paddy O Loughlin (Kilmallock), Shane O’Connell (Doon), Thomas Grimes (Na Piarsagh), Dylan Dawson (Blackrock), Cian O’Brien (Monaleen), Eoghan Costelloe (Adane), Conor Moroney (Tournafulla), Conor Fitzgerald (Claughaun).

Cork on the other hand ,id say there could be changes to the team tommorrow to that in june as the likes of Halloran ,lepold ,luttrell be fully fit and symth and looney will all push hard for a place.
    Just cause cork lads play good tommorrow,wont be certain to start a semi ,as cork will have challenges lined up and with the greatest respect to kerry be much tougher in some games than what they face tommorrow.

I believe luttrell will push strongly for a place in the half back line as he had a foot injury for the last few months and little hurling done.It shows how much he is rated hes on the panel despite not playing much hurling.He has plenty time the next two months to get hurling sharpness up and push for a claim in challenges .A very good hurler .
    I would love for cork to have a crack against limerick ,test yourselve against the best ,be great if tipp beat them ,and we met in the Munster final with the safety of a backdoor .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

...aren't they both injured according to the press release...?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭slingerz

best of luck to both Cork teams tonight. The minor hurlers should be well in control but the football game should be a good test anyway

Tonights game in u21 is close to call.Tipp have prepared and left no stone unturned ,in a hastings cup campaign and Pat flangan kerry and waterford in the past doing excellent work with Gerry mcgill,huge expierence in laois and dublin etc and David power .

They have Niall,and connor sullivan from last year with slattery in goal from last year with Seamus kennedy at the back at centre back in defence.
    Throw in Quinlvan and Mcgrath ,they have a core from last year with o brien at midfield.

O riordain and henry are fine players also.

Quinlan and mcgrath didnt cause cork any trouble last year as the match ups were spot on,cahalane held quinlvan and alan cronin had mcgrath and there midfield wasnt great.

With riordian parterning o brien,there a real force and forwards will get ball.The key is dorman v quinvlan and mcgrath is marked by davis or stephen cronin.

The other key aera is seamus kennedy has to be curbed at centre back ,and Sugrue done that last year ,he got a goal and caused him huge problems by running at him when he got the chance.Thats why sugrtje has been picked at 11 ,to do that again.

Mceoin had sullivan in all sorts trouble last year ,created and a got a lot of scores and cadogan can do the same in the other corner .

Id expect cork to be changed ,with Hanlon in the middle and kiely in there to help out.
    Id expect Crowley to be our sweeper ,but brian o driscoll(4th year that grade,expect huge game from him)can play a deep role if they swtich him to 10,play a brian dooher paul galvin game .

Cork have dorman,maguire ,maceoin,kiely ,cadogan and sugrue that started last year with o driscoll and crowley being used as subs.
    Brosnan was a starter but was taken of.He a sub today and I expect cork may use him.
    I dont think we need to use him.At times hes pace was exposed last year.Histon would be my ist sub as a defender if we have to use one .
    White ,and crowley and fulgnatti are fine players,and o driscoll that can do much more than brosnan .

Were light forward wise on the bench, so its up to the starting 6,particulary,sugrue,cadogan and mac eoin,big game players to do the job,and corkery has the talent also and now is hes chance to show hes talent.

This could be a titantic battle,but with Leaders in Dorman,crowley ,o driscoll,maguire ,mac eoin ,The hughely important last year man of the match Sugrue and Cadogan we can win it .This a serious tipp team,and they have huge will and desire led by the Awesome ,Roirdain,so good trials with afl in training camp in london saturday with tadhg kennelly and inevitable an afl team make the lad an offer and he may go you would imagine.Im a huge fan,he has a great attuide ,and is a powerful athlete .

The hurlers ,margin of victory isnt really important ,the key is to get at least 4 goals as we will needs at least two to beat limerick if its them we play .

Dolan or kinery could easily get a hatrick or two goals if they get ball .

Best of luck to all and whatever happens hayes and gene have done a superb job in year 1 with the u 21 team ,amid the injuries and lads playing with seniors .

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭sean mac

both o driscolls are big losses. Watch sundays game again and the amount of ball they win is huge, in addition always showing for the ball for defenders and midfielders. Donncha and goulding simply don't offer that ball winning or defending while admittedly they will add scores.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

Cant really agree that goulding and donncha in for the two o'driscolls is weakening the team. As you said, they'll add scores. The game has evolved since I started playing/watching but the team that has most scores at final whistle is deemed the winner. What is the decrease in ball winning/defending from the two gone to the two coming in? Would it be the six points extra youd reasonably expect added to the scoreboard from two of the counties all time top scorers?

Minors had the expected handy win, 5-26 v 0-09

Great win for the U21's....

U21's Cork 1-18 v 3-08 Tipp....about 4,200 at it.

They were 0-12 v 0-04 up at ht.

A very good night!!

Minor result 5-26 to 0-9,the 2012 result was better by a point in 6-22 to 9 but in truth a lot more postives in tonights game,as we had a younger team,and a lot of others missing that were injured,and this wont be the ist choice team ,and we had a real,classy display with cohesison,and a real style of play with Cork,and a real identity,in terms our game plan ,is fast ,direct hurling ,but lovely short stick passing,always find a man in space.

Space and speed key to Cork.I watched Cork under u 16 ,then u17,and now with u18 with landers,and the key difference is the continuity in the same game plan,unlike the past ,where we have had managers that changed two years of a game and style that was akin to what cork were suited to.

Tonight you cant get carried away ,and with great respect to kerry ,Cork will learn more in challenges against better teams than tonight,as this was Munster hurling in name only.The power to be seriously must look at it,no benfit to kerry ,being trounced by that score.

Cork had a job to do,as limerick would be ruthless and thats why I wanted 4 goals,soon that went in ,i was cheering kerry as nobody gets joy in young lads getting a trouncing.I said it many times during the week,kerry lads were no where near that sandard as none of them have harty cup expierence .
    A huge ask for them ,but credit the lads they never gave up.

For them Murphy was very good,won an all ireland football with Scoil ghobthnan saturday ,and he played hurling also ,and sullivan and there keeper Murphy was outstanding,4 super saves.Brick never played,must be injured.
    They are doing great work but surley a b comptetion help them .

Theres no point in rating our defence as werent tested at all .

Midfield was good ,and donughue on the minor football team ,as well as Collins,casey and walsh I believe ,and with ballincollig all ireland final saturday was good with meaney .The minor football captained by kevin flahive and are out next week .Meaney was full of industry .

Luke meade was good ,2-4 from play,great wristy hurler,id prefer him at midfield.But after that display,he is a real starter at half forward.Hes playing the best hurling of hes life with hamilton and cork .Ran Kinery close for man of the match.Just my opinion,kinery shaded it.But you couldnt argue if meade got it .

Buckley,kingston are in contention here also at midfield.
    Dayne lee was excellent ,around 6 from play.
    Hayes super with frees and play ,and tomas o connor,i must admit ,i wouldnt saw him up to today as a starter ,before ,but he got 3 great nice points and was full of industry .Had a fine game.Credit the lad.

Mark dolan,im a huge fan of ,expected so much from this lad,tonight wasnt hes best game,but he such a talent I would have no problem starting him in the semi,he will have better days.

The star,do ,and I have always been a huge huge fan,is killegh st itas man. (i believe in time he could be a Seamie harnedy)was awesome,breataking,super glorious,with around 2-4 from play.Such power,athleticism ,and ball winning,and tons,tons of hurling,even against kerry,that display has to be taken notice of.Like harnedy can play 14 ,15 or 11 or 12.
    He may well start at half forward against limerick if we play them as ,he would be neeed to curb,lynch or cosgrave.

Benny dunne a sub,lightening fast and fast stickwork and john waynes reflexes a great. goal.This lad loves fast ground ,a real contender for june .

A job well done,and they done all that was asked of them and a very very impressive performance but the real work begins now for june ,and limerick would be a colossual test.I have no doubt ,landers or ring if not both ,will travel to the gaelic grounds to watch tipp and limerick tommorrow.Subs got a run out and buckley,dunne ,were good.
    Well done to all involved and the management.

The u21,unreal,unbelievable,Aweosome,imperious,Bloody Marvellous,Wonderful night ,and a glouious triumph ,our 9th Munster ,and 9 in 11 years level with Kingdom 25 Munster and 4 in a row.Wow .

We have done 4 in a row 3 times ,equalled our Great rivals ,79,80,81,82 and 2004,2085,2006,2007, and now 2011,2012,2013,2014..All thats left to do is win no 26 next year and equal there 5 in a row ,something we havent done but a huge chance next year of doing it .We are top in All irelands with 11,kerry are 2nd with ten .We must try and win it now .

You see the talk bout cyles that you have your glory ,but cant always be top,and everyone else gets a day ,was always rubbished by kk dominance in senior in hurling.

At last,long last ,Cork like the ladies in football have a dominance ,that we dont win a few,and say we have no right to always win,but they earn and make their right ,and Dominate ,truly dominate there sector,and the key in the cats,cork ladies has been talent ,but above all Astute ,management.

Cork u21 is the same,we had leahy,then the magician cleary and now the masterful Hayes,with the well known ,genius ,the Mereciual Gene o driscoll.In october I lauded there appointment with praise of this set up,as it was proven set up at club level.The county board ,frank murphy deserves 100 per cent credit for making him manager and same with landers and ring in the hurling,as that was shrewd appointments.

Credit due where it is deserved.I have a wish ,,that if they had that same process and thought that used to appoint them,they do that to every ,every intercounty manager in cork,we would be second to none,and equal to all ,and above most .
    Cork have failed dismally in minor football the last ten years and yet with same talent we fly it at u21.Management are the key at u21,and we have a superb management team,credit to them,and a huge thank you to them and the players tonight .Yes we want an all ireland,but whatever happens they have a great year and with kerry at home next year,a lot of this panel next year avalible ,and peter kelliier and likey to come in with Hurley ,and tipp wont be as strong next year,no reason why we cant be serious contenders next year.There is a real belief in u21 football.The hurlers could be the same ,if we had good management.

We play Roscommon on the 19th a saturday in portaloise at 3(glad it aint ennis,we won u 21 title in that ptich in laois )and it is live on tg4.Fair play to cavan ,who won a 4th ulster row,delighted for them ,and could beat dublin,thats the same day at 4.45.I shout for cavan.Wouldnt it be sum final cork v cavan .I would love be a cork cavan final.They were down by 2 with a minute left normal time,got 1-3 to win by 4,,thats a sign of great team,like cork champions die hard .They have a huge chance against the Dubs.

Martin-good game,couldnt fault him for the goals
    Cronin-solid,sloppy at times but grew in to the game .
    Dorman-in a lot of trouble by a man that should and I expected quinvlan suit him.Dorman was weak for two goals,got to be taken out here ,asap as cork wont win the all ireland or beat roscommon if he stays at 3.He is a fine player,half back though.
    Crowley or histon must be tried at 3.
    How we won a game after conceding 3 goals is testatement how good we are.Tighten up the back and we will win the all ireland .
    Davis good going forward.At times in trouble defensively .

Crowley,superb,covering sweeping,a real real leader ,and two great points.
    White,ist year at u21 with two more u21 years ,he is powerful on the ball ,and a great reader.Each game he gets better.
    Fulgnati was good ,covered well played at half back
    Hanlon was superb,gave it hes all,won vital ball in the air,ran at pace and always moved it fast and found a target.A superb display by kilshannig man.went of injured,hope its not serious.

Maguire,.Dominated riordain,he was great and kicked great and a leader.A future star .

O driscoll,great game,vital points and played the dooher deep role great.He created a lot .He is everything you want in a half forward ,tracks back,breaks up play,scores,can spilt a defence with 40 yard pass.Colm was very good Sunday ,but Brian is much better and when he finishes u 21 ,should be the main contender with O rourke for 10.O rourke is a starter at senior,brillant player,defence and attack .

Sugrue ,tried hard -he didnt have hes best night.Good sign of management they saw that and took him off,and kavanagh had a good game.Sugrue will have better games,hes such a great player.

Kiely-great goal,man for the big games,ran at tipp and kennedy created a lot -and a great point.Won a lot around midfield

Cadogan-corks player of the championship,5 from play,created a lot ,and won a lot of hes own ball.Would make the senior but we dnt need forwards and 3 is a joke as it is with dual players .What a game.man of the match .
    mac eoin-poor in general play,but worked very hard,and great from placed balls.
    He is a talent ,and bound to be better.

Corkery,great game,one point but involved in everything and worked very hard,a real threat .
    O sullivan from kerry referring left a lot to be desired.And fair play to a fine tipp team,threw the ktichen sink at cork,well prepared but just beaten by a superior team .But they deserve huge credit for what they done at minor ,in 2011 and there never beaten attuide tonight,and they should have started Colman kennedy,he was with quinlan a reat thorn to cork .
    Peter creedon has talent to work with at senior ,may loose o riordain .

Heard bit of a sad news re Cork hurling tonight.Not sure if its true ,if it is I post it .I hope it isnt .

• Advertisement

Minor result 5-26 to 0-9,the 2012 result was better by a point in 6-22 to 9 but in truth a lot more postives in tonights game,as we had a younger team,and a lot of others missing that were injured,and this wont be the ist choice team ,and we had a real,classy display with cohesison,and a real style of play with Cork,and a real identity,in terms our game plan ,is fast ,direct hurling ,but lovely short stick passing,always find a man in space.

Space and speed key to Cork.I watched Cork under u 16 ,then u17,and now with u18 with landers,and the key difference is the continuity in the same game plan,unlike the past ,where we have had managers that changed two years of a game and style that was akin to what cork were suited to.

Tonight you cant get carried away ,and with great respect to kerry ,Cork will learn more in challenges against better teams than tonight,as this was Munster hurling in name only.The power to be seriously must look at it,no benfit to kerry ,being trounced by that score.

Cork had a job to do,as limerick would be ruthless and thats why I wanted 4 goals,soon that went in ,i was cheering kerry as nobody gets joy in young lads getting a trouncing.I said it many times during the week,kerry lads were no where near that sandard as none of them have harty cup expierence .
    A huge ask for them ,but credit the lads they never gave up.

For them Murphy was very good,won an all ireland football with Scoil ghobthnan saturday ,and he played hurling also ,and sullivan and there keeper Murphy was outstanding,4 super saves.Brick never played,must be injured.
    They are doing great work but surley a b comptetion help them .

Theres no point in rating our defence as werent tested at all .

Midfield was good ,and donughue on the minor football team ,as well as Collins,casey and walsh I believe ,and with ballincollig all ireland final saturday was good with meaney .The minor football captained by kevin flahive and are out next week .Meaney was full of industry .

Luke meade was good ,2-4 from play,great wristy hurler,id prefer him at midfield.But after that display,he is a real starter at half forward.Hes playing the best hurling of hes life with hamilton and cork .Ran Kinery close for man of the match.Just my opinion,kinery shaded it.But you couldnt argue if meade got it .

Buckley,kingston are in contention here also at midfield.
    Dayne lee was excellent ,around 6 from play.
    Hayes super with frees and play ,and tomas o connor,i must admit ,i wouldnt saw him up to today as a starter ,before ,but he got 3 great nice points and was full of industry .Had a fine game.Credit the lad.

Mark dolan,im a huge fan of ,expected so much from this lad,tonight wasnt hes best game,but he such a talent I would have no problem starting him in the semi,he will have better days.

The star,do ,and I have always been a huge huge fan,is killegh st itas man. (i believe in time he could be a Seamie harnedy)was awesome,breataking,super glorious,with around 2-4 from play.Such power,athleticism ,and ball winning,and tons,tons of hurling,even against kerry,that display has to be taken notice of.Like harnedy can play 14 ,15 or 11 or 12.
    He may well start at half forward against limerick if we play them as ,he would be neeed to curb,lynch or cosgrave.

Benny dunne a sub,lightening fast and fast stickwork and john waynes reflexes a great. goal.This lad loves fast ground ,a real contender for june .

A job well done,and they done all that was asked of them and a very very impressive performance but the real work begins now for june ,and limerick would be a colossual test.I have no doubt ,landers or ring if not both ,will travel to the gaelic grounds to watch tipp and limerick tommorrow.Subs got a run out and buckley,dunne ,were good.
    Well done to all involved and the management.

The u21,unreal,unbelievable,Aweosome,imperious,Bloody Marvellous,Wonderful night ,and a glouious triumph ,our 9th Munster ,and 9 in 11 years level with Kingdom 25 Munster and 4 in a row.Wow .

We have done 4 in a row 3 times ,equalled our Great rivals ,79,80,81,82 and 2004,2085,2006,2007, and now 2011,2012,2013,2014..All thats left to do is win no 26 next year and equal there 5 in a row ,something we havent done but a huge chance next year of doing it .We are top in All irelands with 11,kerry are 2nd with ten .We must try and win it now .

You see the talk bout cyles that you have your glory ,but cant always be top,and everyone else gets a day ,was always rubbished by kk dominance in senior in hurling.

At last,long last ,Cork like the ladies in football have a dominance ,that we dont win a few,and say we have no right to always win,but they earn and make their right ,and Dominate ,truly dominate there sector,and the key in the cats,cork ladies has been talent ,but above all Astute ,management.

Cork u21 is the same,we had leahy,then the magician cleary and now the masterful Hayes,with the well known ,genius ,the Mereciual Gene o driscoll.In october I lauded there appointment with praise of this set up,as it was proven set up at club level.The county board ,frank murphy deserves 100 per cent credit for making him manager and same with landers and ring in the hurling,as that was shrewd appointments.

Credit due where it is deserved.I have a wish ,,that if they had that same process and thought that used to appoint them,they do that to every ,every intercounty manager in cork,we would be second to none,and equal to all ,and above most .
    Cork have failed dismally in minor football the last ten years and yet with same talent we fly it at u21.Management are the key at u21,and we have a superb management team,credit to them,and a huge thank you to them and the players tonight .Yes we want an all ireland,but whatever happens they have a great year and with kerry at home next year,a lot of this panel next year avalible ,and peter kelliier and likey to come in with Hurley ,and tipp wont be as strong next year,no reason why we cant be serious contenders next year.There is a real belief in u21 football.The hurlers could be the same ,if we had good management.

We play Roscommon on the 19th a saturday in portaloise at 3(glad it aint ennis,we won u 21 title in that ptich in laois )and it is live on tg4.Fair play to cavan ,who won a 4th ulster row,delighted for them ,and could beat dublin,thats the same day at 4.45.I shout for cavan.Wouldnt it be sum final cork v cavan .I would love be a cork cavan final.They were down by 2 with a minute left normal time,got 1-3 to win by 4,,thats a sign of great team,like cork champions die hard .They have a huge chance against the Dubs.

Martin-good game,couldnt fault him for the goals
    Cronin-solid,sloppy at times but grew in to the game .
    Dorman-in a lot of trouble by a man that should and I expected quinvlan suit him.Dorman was weak for two goals,got to be taken out here ,asap as cork wont win the all ireland or beat roscommon if he stays at 3.He is a fine player,half back though.
    Crowley or histon must be tried at 3.
    How we won a game after conceding 3 goals is testatement how good we are.Tighten up the back and we will win the all ireland .
    Davis good going forward.At times in trouble defensively .

Crowley,superb,covering sweeping,a real real leader ,and two great points.
    White,ist year at u21 with two more u21 years ,he is powerful on the ball ,and a great reader.Each game he gets better.
    Fulgnati was good ,covered well played at half back
    Hanlon was superb,gave it hes all,won vital ball in the air,ran at pace and always moved it fast and found a target.A superb display by kilshannig man.went of injured,hope its not serious.

Maguire,.Dominated riordain,he was great and kicked great and a leader.A future star .

O driscoll,great game,vital points and played the dooher deep role great.He created a lot .He is everything you want in a half forward ,tracks back,breaks up play,scores,can spilt a defence with 40 yard pass.Colm was very good Sunday ,but Brian is much better and when he finishes u 21 ,should be the main contender with O rourke for 10.O rourke is a starter at senior,brillant player,defence and attack .

Sugrue ,tried hard -he didnt have hes best night.Good sign of management they saw that and took him off,and kavanagh had a good game.Sugrue will have better games,hes such a great player.

Kiely-great goal,man for the big games,ran at tipp and kennedy created a lot -and a great point.Won a lot around midfield

Cadogan-corks player of the championship,5 from play,created a lot ,and won a lot of hes own ball.Would make the senior but we dnt need forwards and 3 is a joke as it is with dual players .What a game.man of the match .
    mac eoin-poor in general play,but worked very hard,and great from placed balls.
    He is a talent ,and bound to be better.

Corkery,great game,one point but involved in everything and worked very hard,a real threat .
    O sullivan from kerry referring left a lot to be desired.And fair play to a fine tipp team,threw the ktichen sink at cork,well prepared but just beaten by a superior team .But they deserve huge credit for what they done at minor ,in 2011 and there never beaten attuide tonight,and they should have started Colman kennedy,he was with quinlan a reat thorn to cork .
    Peter creedon has talent to work with at senior ,may loose o riordain .

Heard bit of a sad news re Cork hurling tonight.Not sure if its true ,if it is I post it .I hope it isnt .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement