Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 MAXELLROSE

Anyone surprised by the amount of people that left after the minor game? I don't think they were Kerry hurling supporters before you ask!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Horse84

What bad news is that TTM? I haven't heard anything? Is it another injury?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

MAXELLROSE wrote: »
    Anyone surprised by the amount of people that left after the minor game? I don't think they were Kerry hurling supporters before you ask!!

Yes. In my opinion, if you leave after the minor game, well then you aren't a supporter at all. Shame

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭denishurley

@Horse84 It's potentially a career-ending injury. I don't want to say anything more though as I haven't had it fully confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

can I get a private message about this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Gary Neville

Cork's success in Munster U21 Football is amazing - 9 of the last 11 titles yet only won 3 minor titles in the relevant corrosponding time.

I rem seeing Cork v Tipp in Munster Minor Final in 2011 and we were bate out the gate - I thought at the time it was one of the worst Cork Minor Sides I'd seen (didn't realise how good Tipp were - won the AI minor)
    Yet 3 years later we dominated Tipp - it was way more comprehensive than 4 pts. Sean Hayes says 3rd level colleges in Cork are really helping but other counties surely benefit from this too.

Cavan now have similar success in Ulster (4 in a row yet only 1 Minor in relevant time)

Cork have had great management at U21 - Tony Leahy, J Cleary and now Sean Hayes and Gene O Driscoll but Tipp ploughed huge resourses into their current U21 side - Power has managed them all the way and they entered the Hastings Cup.

This current Cork Side is a serious outfit with Kiely, Maguire, Crowley, O Driscoll, Cadogan and Dorman all at Senior IC level now IMO.

Kerry must be looking on with envy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Horse84

can I get a private message about this?

Yea +1 on this

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

If it's a career ending injury in hurling, then I think it might be pretty obvious who it is. I hope it's not the case!

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

Cork's success in Munster U21 Football is amazing - 9 of the last 11 titles yet only won 3 minor titles in the relevant corrosponding time.

I rem seeing Cork v Tipp in Munster Minor Final in 2011 and we were bate out the gate - I thought at the time it was one of the worst Cork Minor Sides I'd seen (didn't realise how good Tipp were - won the AI minor)
    Yet 3 years later we dominated Tipp - it was way more comprehensive than 4 pts. Sean Hayes says 3rd level colleges in Cork are really helping but other counties surely benefit from this too.

Cavan now have similar success in Ulster (4 in a row yet only 1 Minor in relevant time)

Cork have had great management at U21 - Tony Leahy, J Cleary and now Sean Hayes and Gene O Driscoll but Tipp ploughed huge resourses into their current U21 side - Power has managed them all the way and they entered the Hastings Cup.

This current Cork Side is a serious outfit with Kiely, Maguire, Crowley, O Driscoll, Cadogan and Dorman all at Senior IC level now IMO.

I never thought you were so knowledgeable on GAA! Are you going to be doing the GAA coverage on Sky this year Gary? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Buncha Fives

I was thinking about it myself...Tipp have beaten Cork in the minor championship for the last 3 years running so is has certainly been no fluke yet a Cork U-21 team (assumingly made of players who have failed against Tipp at minor level) dominate the same opposition, you would imagine with the yearly success at minor level that Tipp would be a superior outfit. Cork must be doing something very well when it comes to player development at this level.

On another note, Philip Quirke and Fizelle were main players for the Tipp minor team 3 years ago anyone know why they didn't feature last night?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Forthright

Ya I heard the same thing last night. Terrible news hopefully it's not as bad as what's been said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

any chance of the PM on this injury? it isnt football i know for sure

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Lads if you could send me a PM as well please

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

Would appreciate one also, thanks!

Archer3083 wrote: »
    I never thought you were so knowledgeable on GAA! Are you going to be doing the GAA coverage on Sky this year Gary? :D

If the moneys right then I'm your man. I'm off to Brazil for the Summer though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

I would appreciate one too, thanks.

I was thinking about it myself...Tipp have beaten Cork in the minor championship for the last 3 years running so is has certainly been no fluke yet a Cork U-21 team (assumingly made of players who have failed against Tipp at minor level) dominate the same opposition, you would imagine with the yearly success at minor level that Tipp would be a superior outfit. Cork must be doing something very well when it comes to player development at this level.

On another note, Philip Quirke and Fizelle were main players for the Tipp minor team 3 years ago anyone know why they didn't feature last night?
    TJ Ryan too - anyone know ?

Cork have added Maguire and White since the minor days and these 2 were very influential.

I was surprised that Tipp were well beaten at home in the Hastings Cup by Meath but they were missing a lot of their top players on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

TJ Ryan too - anyone know ?

Cork have added Maguire and White since the minor days and these 2 were very influential.

I was surprised that Tipp were well beaten at home in the Hastings Cup by Meath but they were missing a lot of their top players on the day.

Fitzelle is living in Cork funnily enough and no longer plays football or hurling, Quirke is injured and TJ just hasn't really progressed, he was brought in earlier in the year but wasn't deemed up to scratch. John Meagher was also a hugle loss last night, he was captain and would have been handed teh man marking job on Cadogan I assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Buncha Fives

Fitzelle is living in Cork funnily enough and no longer plays football or hurling, Quirke is injured and TJ just hasn't really progressed, he was brought in earlier in the year but wasn't deemed up to scratch. John Meagher was also a hugle loss last night, he was captain and would have been handed teh man marking job on Cadogan I assume.

Is Fitzelle playing another sport or has he just lost interest? Seems strange that a young lad who won minor football and hurling all-irelands would no longer be involved in the sports? A couple of players out with injuries can really swing it and the likes of Quirke, Meagher could have a really big influence. The problem for Tipp I suppose is trying to sustain their development over the next few years after a great spell at minor level, bringing it to U-21 level and senior is the next step. Coincidentally I think their minor football team has a lot of players available from last year so they should be strong again.

Thanks for the heads up on that Premierstone.

I was talking to a Tipp Lad next to me and he was very confident that Tipp would beat Cork. Tipp were surprisingly beaten well by Meath in the Hastings Cup but were missing a lot. I get the impression that Tipp were very well prepared - their support play for the goals was very impressive and this group are ear-marked for senior success.

Is it fair to say that Tipp were very confident of beating Cork and having applied such resuorces, how will it affect Tipp going forward that Cork turned the tables so convincingly ?

I'm full of admiration for what Tipp have done at underage and support them when they are not playing Cork

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭corkrobinhood

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Liking the confidence !! :)

Hahaha :)

More so fail to prepare,prepare to fail ( need to book time of work,just incase );)

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭corkrobinhood

Great wins last night for both Cork teams,as one poster said though the amount of 'fans' that left after the hurling was kinda shocking to witness,your county is just about to play in a Munster final,the next generation of players coming through.....and your running out the gate,cant say this was everyones reason but I can be fairly sure alot were heading for the tv and the Utd game.....shameful :/

Hurlers looked well prepared,to be fair they werent playing much,still had to do the job though.

Was very impressed by Meade from Newcestown and Lee from Piarsaighs,i'd give Lee my man of the match. Micheal O Leary for Kerry,no.11 was class all night,nearly running a 1 man show,he had his man in trouble all night.

The U21 game was a cracking 60mins of football!

Thought Sean White from Clon was outstanding,he goes through a mountain of work,always ahead of his man,great to read an attack and break up play,kick passing was superb,he reminds me of Patrick Kelly in his 2010 role,controls everything.

Ian Maguire was as good and better than his display against Kerry in Tralee,has to be on the Senior panel soon as this U21 season is over. Excellent fielding,took the game to the Kerry half back line.Strong running with the ball in hand.

O Hanlon worked his socks off all night,shipped some heavy hits from a very physical Tipp team ( over the top physical at times,which the ref ignored,awful decisions from him at times,thats 2 bad refs i've seen this year at U21 level)

Cadogan was just unreal! Simple as that :)

All round a great team performance,if I had to be critical it'd be the same man I pointed out in the build up to the game,Dorman.
    Seen him play 3 times now for the U21's,and 3 times hes been very poor.

I hate saying it but if he doesnt improve under the dropping ball soon hes going to cost Cork a game. The third goal last night,his marker turned him like a bus.

He seems well capable attacking the ball,but if his marker gets a yard on him,hes in real trouble.

Roll on Portlaoise,Rebels on tour again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

Shocking if true about that dual star. Better to have caught it early rather than late though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Jesus, who is this dual star that is meant to have had this bad news lads?

Good win for ye're 21s last night. 1-18 is some scoring again.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭DD Mikasa

Would appreciate a PM on this news as well, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

AS I expected Limerick beat tipp minor tonight 3-17 to 2-11.I never expected Limerick to win by 9 points,theyre better than I thought,that says a lot ,as I always rated them,followed them closely,watch them train ul north campus numerous times,play challenge matches etc .There a serious,serious team and are going to take sum beating june 26th winner takes all in semi v cork.

Cork could very well be beaten,but such the great limerick team is it doesnt mean cork had a poor season as limerick had 10 last year,few more panel last year , and huge expierence and I say again,Cregan and jerry wallis in particular ,role cant be understimated.There touch movement,hooking blocking is direct result of wallis .He is cork loss huge gain to limerick.This team train and prepare better most intercounty teams ,thats not an exaggeration.

6.30 u see them arrive in the winter,eager to train,hail rain or snowhul north campus I watched them train and there touch,and ball skills is up there with Clare Senior team .There powerful,ball winners,not like other teams,brute force,no hurling,these guy at least ten of that team can hurl both left and right side.
    It was classicly set up ,old limerick teams hyped ,up ,and the best team since 84 and after loosin both croke cup semifinal to be ambushed tonight,but this team is a different bref,they have huge backbone ,and a superb work ethic ,and if they beat cork,i hope the win it No stone is left unturned,every need the team want ,is met by county board .

Wallis,remember is the man that introduced ,the bleep test ,recoverys,every record recorded each cork player ,and what fitness of each player was etc ,and nutritinn,deyhdration etc ,to Cork in 2003,he is a genuis and has a real science to hes coaching,and Cregan ,the old wise head with him.Yes they have a good manager ,but the real mastros are Wallis and ,the Cregan .

I can guarantee you ,they wont take cork for granted,and wallis knows everything ,about cork ,who they play challenges,who strong players are and he is a huge fan of landers and has huge respect for him ,and he will have limerick ready for us .

Cork can win,as we have the talent,but its going to be a titantic hour,and this is an all ireland final for cork as we loose we are out,and limerick are frontrunners with kilkenny ,for the All ireland .
    Yeah waterford have currans,lyons,and bennett etc but Limerick and kk are the top two .

I said they had an awesome half back line and half forward line and they showed it tonight ,and flanagan was good ,below hes standard,if he hits form our half back line got to be on the ball ,for the game and the half back line yesterday for cork wont start id say .

They got 3-5 from play,lynch a goal and 3 and Nash cousin,red helmet barry ,2-2.But there not just proflic.
    Lads no exaggeration,all 3 must have won at least 12 puckouts clean in the air ,then beat there man and laid it off.Like kk.

Lyons,The awesome,Jesus chr*st ,he is sum player Ronan lynch ,ala brian cococran,unbeatable under high ball and super deliverys.Remember played corner forward na piarsaigh seni or club ,already ,he has a real eye for the posts.Got a free inside he own half,same distance john gardiner free minor 2001 v galway final tonight.Yes that good.He has pace also.

He didnt have a sideline tonight but against portumana and in harty showed he can do it .
    Cork have to start eoghan kinery on him ,as he is our only player with ball winning ,and strength and power ,with fast hurling to limit him .cosgrave was superb at half back also.

Their midfield with o brien ,is top notch,and shane o connell id expect to start againt us.A half forward ,also played a sweeper role in half back line with doon in harty and ,is super hurler.

Doyle hadnt a great game,by hes own high standard ,but management ruthless took him of after 20 minutes.FITYgerald was good.
    I mentioned Paddy loughlin last night ,capt chareville centre back ,kinnane cup,then corner back harty,was a sub,and he was outstanding.I think he will start against us .

Colin ryan ,a goal keeper by trade ,was superb at 15 and he destroyed chareville in harty ,a serious threat .

Fanning was strong at full back,and easy to see why hes rated in rubgy as hes a super athlete.

Cork to win it,have to break even at half back,and half forward and midfield.Landers and co ,know two well ,how good limerick are,and said before today ,that in interview ,limerick were beating everyone easy,and the team to beat .They will get everything out of cork and I am 100 per cent confident we will compete.Whether we win is another ??as we are inexpierenced and next year is when we peak as we have just 3 last year started last night,limerick have ten.Cork have a load of top quailty challenges lined up and I expect training in cit and mallow to be 100 per cent quailty .
    This game is going to be a classic.

The u21 team last night had cronin,brian o driscoll,crowley (went of injured 1st minute )and dorman came on,kiely ,sugrue,and mac eoin starting that started last night from the minor 2011 team .
    Davis,fulgnatti started with the 2011 keeper mcdonnell a sub last night.
    Harrington,kavanagah,mclntyre,and corkey who started last night were on the panel,like tj brosnan a starter in 2011,a sub last night ,.

O sullivan an unused sub last night started ,and Darragh murphy was on the 2011 panel like last night.
    Vaughan started then,would have started last night but for for a grade 4 quad tear ,and will do well to make the final if Cork get there .

Tipp had starters from the 2011,3-11 to 1-9 win in a sun drenched killarney ,in slaterry ,two o sullivans ,maguire,riordain,kennedy,o brien ,fahey,maher ,henry,liam mcgrath and Quinlvan .
    Kennedy a sub in 2011 ,a sub last night .

Tippeary had the same manager in power.They have continued to develop ,but I say it again ,managemenet in cork is the key difference .Cuthbert and gene were there in 2011.

Gene was there last night.Cuthbert had a great season in 2010,but was unproven to an extent .
    Hayes has a proven record at club.
    My point is while cork improved in players developement ,the talent in 2011 was there as it now ,the problem in 2011 was our development academy strength and conditioning was non existent to what tipp had them and what cork have now and tactially we werent as strong.That has changed and Cuthbert credit due has changed that,as he had role in development squads and re changed the strength and conditioning etc.We were catching up,however as with minor manager this year ,there is better men that should have got the job this year.

It could be argued we have a shrewder all round management team now than we had in minors in the past,and mackeown has done great strength and condition with the u21 team with hayes and gene.Hayes brings an attention to detail with innovation and tactics awarness,Gene,a shrewd expierenced,a bible and libary of Cork football knowlege ,and there isnt a player in cork there not aware of.Crucially they dont ,and there proud club men,dont do club bias,they pick soley on ability as players and suitabilty to the game plan ,and in any game will do a horses for courses selection.They evolve,they dont pick the same team just cause it won.They judge on what there opponents offer,example sugrue at 11 against tipp was due to the fact he outplayed kennedy in
    2013,despite Sullivan doing well against kerry and limerick in a defined role.Hence also Fulgnatti starting yesterday.The team may change for Roscommon if they see a need to .I have 100 per cent faith in hayes and gene as coaches.

Now our minors have gym programmes etc but the problem is not always the best managers get the jobs.

Also Our u21s also have had great coaching with ucc,tomas o se winning all ireland fresher league this year ,and the Genuis Morgan winning the Sigerson with ucc ,with a lot of players involved those teams that helped them develop from minors .
    Sugrue and cadogan would been with sigerson but they played fitzgibbion instead .

Fitzell,i saw him hurling ucc v ul freshers classic this year and he impressed me .I didnt know the tipp lad had left the game.The best of luck whatever he does .

Cork got 4-51 in just 3 games at u21 so far ,kerry ,limerick and tipp,awesome scoring without vaughan and goal machine sam who had that horrific training injury the thursday night before kerry ,thats unreal scoring ,and if they sort full back could win it all the way .

I think it could be a cork cavan final,and cavan ,play a blanket style and a serious team,dogged,not 15 stars but a team that doesnt know when there beaten and are a serious team that wouldnt want to be underestimated,ah its just cavan .

Never judge a book by its cover.Cavan arent flashy ,but inside huge character,backbone,with the moral of there story,there a formiddable team.

Mac eoin is Corks top scorer so far 1-15(6f)
    Cadogan has got 1-14 all play top scorer play ,just a point behind Dan overall .
    Midelton continued there great work in schools by winning the u14 cork schools title yesterday with chriost ri winning cork u 16 final .
    Fair play to Rebel og ,and jbm ,and cuthbert and nash and walsh for there work in raising funds for mercy hospital foundation by the way .

I see catherine tiernan is on the MHF deveolopment board .Fair play to her,she was involved with Cork sponsorship in her time with O2 ireland and I think she is with Chill insurance ,same role now .Always great help to Cork .

Huge weekend for Ballncoilig in all ireland final v Dublin team .I may be wrong ,but I think tg4 showing it live on saturday .Last night ,hurler midfielder sean o doughe is captain .St Aidans have 5 lads that are on Dublin intercounty teams .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Huge weekend for Ballncoilig in all ireland final v Dublin team .I may be wrong ,but I think tg4 showing it live on saturday .Last night ,hurler midfielder sean o doughe is captain .St Aidans have 5 lads that are on Dublin intercounty teams .

Aye, that game is on TG4 as well as the 'A' game.

I was at the semi-final, Aidan's beat my old school, who set up very defensively, but weren't able to contain them. Fairly street smart, strong lads. Managed by a Donegal man so you know they will be well prepared ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 34,147 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Could somebody PM me too if get a chance.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Aye, that game is on TG4 as well as the 'A' game.

I was at the semi-final, Aidan's beat my old school, who set up very defensively, but weren't able to contain them. Fairly street smart, strong lads. Managed by a Donegal man so you know they will be well prepared ;).

Cheers man

Can you tell us more re aidans manager

Brennan,doyle and small meant be great players

Can you tell us more bout them,team strength and weak aera

Comiserations last night.What you make cavan

Would u agree they could beat dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Could also do with a PM if someone has a chance.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement