Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I'd say Cavan will beat the Dubs alright, Dublin have very little in the middle of the field and miss Kilkenny, I'd say Cavan all the way now.

Looking forward to a good game at the weekend, Cork are playing great football at the moment, regardless though I don't think either team will be close to peak condition, it might be a tame enough affair and with so many starters missing from both teams I don't think it will reflect much on a potential summer meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

If someone would PM me too I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Could i get a pm too if someone gets a chance. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 20,561 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

I would also appreciate a PM too if someone gets a chance, thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭slingerz

ya pm me too, feel like im missing out on the party!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Is Fitzelle playing another sport or has he just lost interest? Seems strange that a young lad who won minor football and hurling all-irelands would no longer be involved in the sports? A couple of players out with injuries can really swing it and the likes of Quirke, Meagher could have a really big influence. The problem for Tipp I suppose is trying to sustain their development over the next few years after a great spell at minor level, bringing it to U-21 level and senior is the next step. Coincidentally I think their minor football team has a lot of players available from last year so they should be strong again.

Not really sure whay Fitzelle had decided to take a step back, possibly concentrating on his studies for a year or two but yes very odd for someone who comes from a family steeped in GAA and as you said was so successfull himself.

Tipps biggest problem with regard to football is the very large number of 'dual stars' we posses and in the history of our county the only player I ever remember chosing football over hurling was Declan Browne, that will always be a problem.

From the recent minor teams Liam McGrath, John McGrath, John Meagher, Colin O'Riordan, Bill Maher, Dylan Fitzelle, Niall O'Meara, Josh Keane, Jack Loughnane, Wille Connors and probably a load more that I am forgetting were/are all part of the equivilant hurling set up and the fact is that the only ones of those that will end up playing football for Tipp are the ones deemed not good enough for the hurling!

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Gary Neville

Obviously everyone is curious as to the ID of the young player in question.

I can't post a name as it hasn't been announced officially yet but it's not someone that is well known or has featured on the senior set-ups - he's a young lad from West Cork and he noticed that he was having difficulty training - he went for tests and a medical condition was diagnosed and sadly, he's been forced to retire. I suppose it's better that it's been diagnosed now rather than something worse happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Can you tell us more re aidans manager

Ah I know he's from Donegal, but he's not that well known, i.e. not a high profile former player or anything.

Brennan,doyle and small meant be great players

Can you tell us more bout them,team strength and weak aera

Physically strong, fit, big lads. Able to pick off scores relatively easily. Weakness? Quick ball into the forwards, but in fairness 'our' two corner forwards were very good at winning ball in front of their man. We had nothing at full forward however and nothing at midfield. Half forwards played far too deep and sweeper, while effective, meant that we had no proper link play.

Comiserations last night.What you make cavan

Would u agree they could beat dublin

Cavan were good - well drilled defensively, able to break at speed. Not unlike Donegal Seniors 2011/2012, but, they might struggle to get scores - few players seem to be comfortable in front of the posts. Despite their failure to take their chances to put us away early, they never let their heads drop - I thought that when we went ahead they would break, but no. 2-6 isn't a bad return overall, but 1-3 from the 58th minute on is a bit freakish.

I would be surprised if they can win the All Ireland without more of a scoring threat, but if they can hold the Dubs and frustrate them, a 1-6 to 0-8 scoreline could well see them through. But, Dubs will have the pace that Donegal didn't have on Wednesday night - McCaffrey alone could make a huge difference. On their day, I'm pretty sure Cavan are capable of beating anyone, and they play for 63 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Anyone hear of a venue for Cork hurling challenge ,two weeks time v limerick senior hurling ,please?

Not really sure whay Fitzelle had decided to take a step back, possibly concentrating on his studies for a year or two but yes very odd for someone who comes from a family steeped in GAA and as you said was so successfull himself.

Tipps biggest problem with regard to football is the very large number of 'dual stars' we posses and in the history of our county the only player I ever remember chosing football over hurling was Declan Browne, that will always be a problem.

From the recent minor teams Liam McGrath, John McGrath, John Meagher, Colin O'Riordan, Bill Maher, Dylan Fitzelle, Niall O'Meara, Josh Keane, Jack Loughnane, Wille Connors and probably a load more that I am forgetting were/are all part of the equivilant hurling set up and the fact is that the only ones of those that will end up playing football for Tipp are the ones deemed not good enough for the hurling!

That must be very frustrating for the men that putting in so much time and effort such as David Power. I doubt that it's sustainable unless senior success will come and the dual thing is obvioulsy a huge problem for Tipp Football.

I heard Paul Galvin say that as an amateur - the only way that he could justify the effort was in winning trophies - must be very hard to play with counties that have no chance of winning Sam or Liam.

Donal Og Cusack said last week, that it's now impossible to serve 2 masters and I doubt that we'll see any dual players after this season - I'd expect Brian Cuthbert to rule it out for next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭denishurley

Anyone hear of a venue for Cork hurling challenge ,two weeks time v limerick senior hurling ,please?

On in Charleville I think

On in Charleville I think

Thanks again Denis

The ptich is in good nick,i was there two weeks,good surface.
    Should be a great crowd at that

The dual issue must be confronted imo for us to be a success .
    Its seems jbm is fine,shown by the quick fire announcement of hurling panel two days after the league,with 3 dual players,when he should have waited til football was over so he could review it.This talk that he and cuthbhert call the shots,i dont buy.Jbm is in control,laid down the gauntlet,im happy with it Brian ,ball is your in court ,believing cuthbhert wont go against him.As soon as Cuthbhert hinted he was
    against it and maybe to call a halt to it ,Jbm says in the he is fine with the dual code and its working despite cadogan starting just 1 game,walsh 2 and cahalane 1. Cuthbert is in a positon to end it now.If he doesnt it is going to greatly hinder the team ,as cadogan walsh are vital to Cork .
    ALAN cadogan could and likely to be with the footballers in may .Jbm named a panel with 3 dual stars in it .

Calling a halt next year is not imo,Simply Not good enough,we don't need a year to tell us what is clear as day ,Dualism cant work.Thats always been a major problem in cork ,failure to rectfiys things fast and go in the hope it may be okay,despite clear ,evidence to the contary,but take too much time making a decison .Gavin didnt need a year to decide,he never left the idea get airborne, Or gather momentun.We tried ,and it failed.For the good of both cork teams,it must be ended ,and its likey to be there for the championship .

To say cuthbert will call its halt next year doesnt add up imo,as next year is wasting a year ,and if he doesnt stand up to it now,no guarantee next year be any different .Jbm is 100 pent for it ,and despite it not working sees its as fine.

Eoin keane fair play gave up the football and went hurling alone.Yet he could find himself ,behind a dual star,yet keane was played out of position against tipp .Some lads,killan murphy example must be gutted,started 4 games,a challenge v tipp and played great all year dropped and dual stars ahead him defence .Its not fair ,in fairness.
    I have no problem with ruthless,i admire it ,but it must be fair and equal to each panel member .
    I have been sceptical to the idea dualism bar walsh from day one ,and have seen nothing to change my mind since.And walsh seems to be suffering a lot more injuries,so its doubtful he can make it in both .

The dual issue must be confronted imo for us to be a success .
    Its seems jbm is fine,shown by the quick fire announcement of hurling panel two days after the league,with 3 dual players,when he should have waited til football was over so he could review it.This talk that he and cuthbhert call the shots,i dont buy.Jbm is in control,laid down the gauntlet,im happy with it Brian ,ball is your in court ,believing cuthbhert wont go against him.As soon as Cuthbhert hinted he was
    against it and maybe to call a halt to it ,Jbm says in the he is fine with the dual code and its working despite cadogan starting just 1 game,walsh 2 and cahalane 1. Cuthbert is in a positon to end it now.If he doesnt it is going to greatly hinder the team ,as cadogan walsh are vital to Cork .
    ALAN cadogan could and likely to be with the footballers in may .Jbm named a panel with 3 dual stars in it .

Calling a halt next year is not imo,Simply Not good enough,we don't need a year to tell us what is clear as day ,Dualism cant work.Thats always been a major problem in cork ,failure to rectfiys things fast and go in the hope it may be okay,despite clear ,evidence to the contary,but take too much time making a decison .Gavin didnt need a year to decide,he never left the idea get airborne, Or gather momentun.We tried ,and it failed.For the good of both cork teams,it must be ended ,and its likey to be there for the championship .

To say cuthbert will call its halt next year doesnt add up imo,as next year is wasting a year ,and if he doesnt stand up to it now,no guarantee next year be any different .Jbm is 100 pent for it ,and despite it not working sees its as fine.

Eoin keane fair play gave up the football and went hurling alone.Yet he could find himself ,behind a dual star,yet keane was played out of position against tipp .Some lads,killan murphy example must be gutted,started 4 games,a challenge v tipp and played great all year dropped and dual stars ahead him defence .Its not fair ,in fairness.
    I have no problem with ruthless,i admire it ,but it must be fair and equal to each panel member .
    I have been sceptical to the idea dualism bar walsh from day one ,and have seen nothing to change my mind since.And walsh seems to be suffering a lot more injuries,so its doubtful he can make it in both .

We had an exceptional U21 side last year and this year's side are as good, maybe better. IMO 15 of these squads will make the senior panel which is already jam-packed. Many of these players showed exceptional character and spirit as minors under Cubby in 2010 - there is already a bond between them,

I can't see Cubby accommodate lads that are half committed at the expense of the talent coming through - I admire Cads, AW and Cahalane for trying but it's crystal clear that it's not going to work - Horan, McGuinness and Gavin must be amazed at this nonsense.

I'd love to have the 2 Cadogans, Cahalane and Walsh playing football and they would be AI winners shortly - Cubby must grasp the nettle now, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭MaxPower131

PM too please

We had an exceptional U21 side last year and this year's side are as good, maybe better. IMO 15 of these squads will make the senior panel which is already jam-packed. Many of these players showed exceptional character and spirit as minors under Cubby in 2010 - there is already a bond between them,

I can't see Cubby accommodate lads that are half committed at the expense of the talent coming through - I admire Cads, AW and Cahalane for trying but it's crystal clear that it's not going to work - Horan, McGuinness and Gavin must be amazed at this nonsense.

I'd love to have the 2 Cadogans, Cahalane and Walsh playing football and they would be AI winners shortly - Cubby must grasp the nettle now, IMO.

id agree Gary

Cadogan would make it,fast nippy,creative,wins he own ball but has the key,key ingredient ,that separtes potential from a real talen,he has a superb worth ethic,will and A real Desire,of the ball.

I hope he sticks to the hurling,as we have an abundance of real football talent in the forwards,and too many some are lost in translation

He is needed with the hurlers.
    Its hes own choice ovibously

Talent has always been in cork football

Watch ballincollig tg4 tommorrow live and theres 3 lads there you would watch in the future captain sean o donughe,cian kiely a lively forward that is like sean kiely u21 player,hes brother,and mike lordan at 6,and Aron raw are talents.

The one aera cork need to produce players,is full back ,and I said this months ago.

Half backs we have a river full of gold diamonds

The u21 team ,now and last year had no natural 3.
    We must from u17 up etc work on full backs.

Midfield has huge talents,peter kelliher,sean kiely,iam maguire ,murphy and possibly hanlon

Kelliher is a dual player,i would prefer he sticks to the football,could be a star in time.

A competent hurler but has a weak left side,and when you seen at least ten limerick minors hurling left and right,you see the standard

Michael desmond last saw,was superb I thougt for scoil ghobthnan

Yes it was c ,grade but he lorded the middle you woulike to see at minor and then u 21 etc

Im not sure he made the minor team

Hes sister,twin ,is european youth boxing champion
    What cork must also do ,is produce young coaches and keep them at home

Kissane is a fine coach,james mcarthy etc and must down the line get them involved with teams

We at times regard coaching as secondary,when coaching is primary to any teams success

Cork,regards seniors,musnt get carried away just yet as Cuthbert has to solve midfreld and the dual issue before we can say he is the real deal

He has done good ,but the real tests are from here on ,with the exception of clare or limerick

A lot of talk ,cork are going to dominate senior the next few years is a bit too early to even contemplate yet.

CORK SENIOR FOOTBALL TEAM TO PLAY DUBLIN - UPDATE 11/04/2014
    The Cork Senior Football team for Sunday's game will line out as follows:

1. Ken O’Halloran (Bishopstown)
    2. Michael Shields (St. Finbarr’s – Captain)
    3. Jamie O’Sullivan (Bishopstown)
    4. Tom Clancy (Clonakilty)
    5. James Loughrey (Mallow)
    6. Patrick Kelly (Ballincollig)
    7. Damien Cahalane (Castlehaven)
    8. Fintan Goold (Macroom)
    9. Andrew O’Sullivan (Castletownbere)
    10. Mark Collins (Castlehaven)
    11. Donncha O’Connor (Ballydesmond)
    12. Paul Kerrigan (Nemo Rangers)
    13. Daniel Goulding (Éire Óg)
    14. Brian Hurley (Castlehaven)
    23. Colm O'Neill (Ballyclough)

Subs
    16. David Hanrahan (Douglas)
    17. John McLoughlin (Kanturk)
    18. Alan Cronin (Nemo Rangers)
    19. Kevin O'Driscoll (Tadhg MacCárthaigh)
    20. Noel Galvin (Ballincollig)
    21. Tomás Clancy (Fermoy)
    22. Micheal Ó Laoire (Naomh Abán)
    15. John Hayes (Carbery Rangers)
    24. Aidan Walsh (Kanturk)
    25. John O’Rourke (Carbery Rangers)
    26. Seán Dineen (Castlehaven)

Brian Cuthbert originally made two changes to the team for Sunday’s League Semi-Final: Donncha O’Connor and Daniel Goulding replace the injured Colm O’Driscoll and Barry O’Driscoll. In a further late change however, Colm O'Neill replaces John Hayes, who has not trained all week due to a hamstring strain.

Aidan Walsh and John O'Rourke, who were initially injury concerns, have recovered sufficiently to take their places on the bench.

The following players were not considered due to injury: Eoin Cadogan and Donal Óg Hodnett (both hamstring), Barry O’Driscoll (broken thumb) and Colm O’Driscoll (calf). There’s also good news for Ruairi Deane, whose surgeon has confirmed that his knee injury does not now require surgery, and who will return to training following another two weeks of rehab.

The Dublin team has also been named: Stephen Cluxton (Parnells), Jonny Cooper (Na Fianna), Rory O'Carroll (Kilmacud Crokes), Philly McMahon (Ballymun Kickhams), James McCarthy (Ballymun Kickhams), Cian O'Sullivan (Kilmacud Crokes), Kevin Nolan (Kilmacud Crokes), Michael Dara Macauley Ballyboden St. Enda's), Tomás Brady (Na Fianna), Jason Whelan (Ballymun Kickhams), Alan Brogan (St. Oliver Plunkett's Eoghan Ruaidh), Diarmuid Connolly (St. Vincent's), Kevin McManamon (St. Jude's), Eoghan O'Gara (Templeogue Synge Street), Paddy Andrews (St. Vincent's).

Now I see both teams,with our very strong bench ,we Can win Sunday ,if and only if,management act fast and make the right changes if clancy and midfield struggle.

Galvin,cronin are great options.
    Sullivan v o gara,well able for an inconistent and temparmental ,O gara
    Shields has the strength and temparment for Mcnemammm.If management put clancy on him,its poor judgement .

Paddy andrews ,clancy should be okay as he suits clancy,however dorman was suited by quinlvan in u21 yet struggled,simply because as gifted talents both are,both arent comfortable in the full back line.

Connolly is a gifted player,hugely questionable discpilne,cahalane must do what he did to callian in hurling,give him plenty,and has pace for him .

Kelly test is brogan.A great test for our centre back.Kelly has it all,has he pace ??6 o clock tell that sunday
    Loughrey should be okay for Whelan

Mcculey could dominate with brady.Gould if he steps up ,were fine ,i worry re hes partner .

James mccrthy and collins is a close call
    Donnacha should be okay and is great link man ,and hes hold up play well and nolan is with him.
    I expect cian,as he has the pace,and great player mark our ace Kerrigan .Kerrigan I have no fear with.

goulding must step up ,and he has a huge game against cooper to perform.
    Great colm starts,should have in the ist place ,and takes pressure of Brian ,as you cant double team brian,with colm and goulding .

Colm could take carroll to the cleaners and hurley on phily,is advantage the cork man.
    That dublin unit is weak ,yet to expose them we must get an even share of possesion at midfield ,so its vital if were struggling we bring laoire or dinneen.

Dinnen is a grounded young man,and brave he could be thrown in at the deep end and survive.

Im very confident seeing both teams now we can push them al the way and if management are shrewd its winnable as that isnt dublin strongest team .

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

Hey TTM1,

Do you think Ian Maguire could feature for the seniors at any stage this year, maybe after the U21 finishes?

Hes good enough Archer without a question to start against limerick or clare in the Pairc or to get a half.Was great in sigerson ,against Potent midfielders like ,Mccauley .

Hes has it all,athleticism,power,mobilty,fields well,and kicks intelligently and accurate,isnt just a ball winner,hes a footballer through and through.Watch the lad in two wks time ,he always has head up looking to of load.Has a bravery and hunger.

The one disadvanatge,is he up against o sheas etc,serious expierence ,to make a real impact straight away,however to get expierence,you must play game.

Wouldnt start him against kerry but would have him matchday panels .

Dinneen would be in the fray imo for kerry ,as laoire isnt likely to be .

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

Hes good enough Archer without a question to start against limerick or clare in the Pairc or to get a half.Was great in sigerson ,against Potent midfielders like ,Mccauley .

Hes has it all,athleticism,power,mobilty,fields well,and kicks intelligently and accurate,isnt just a ball winner,hes a footballer through and through.Watch the lad in two wks time ,he always has head up looking to of load.Has a bravery and hunger.

The one disadvanatge,is he up against o sheas etc,serious expierence ,to make a real impact straight away,however to get expierence,you must play game.

Thanks TTM1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Archer3083 wrote: »
    Hey TTM1,

Do you think Ian Maguire could feature for the seniors at any stage this year, maybe after the U21 finishes?

I'd be gobsmacked if Maguire isn't involved with the seniors after the U-21 championship.

Any half decent young defender or midfielder is going to be given a crack by Cuthbert over the next couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 timo87

Could I get a pm re the ID of the player that is being spoken about?

I have an idea who people are talking about, but want a confirmation

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Some win for Ballincollig. Grew into the game well after bad start. Frantic finish, Aidan's might have easily had an equaliser.

Cork 1 - 0 Dublin !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,883 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Super win for Coláiste Colm in Croker today 1-11 v 1-10 ...sub came on with about 10mins to go and got a goal with his first touch...lucky the other team didn't have a good free taker but them's the breaks.

Fully agree about Maguire - I saw him for the u21's last year and he looked to have something about him but he's come on a ton in a year.

He has all the attributes but what I really like about him is when he gets possession you relax in the knowledge that he will use the ball well - I don't think he turned over a ball v Tipp. He always takes the sensible option too - he seems to have great vision - he's the most promising MFer we've produced since Aidan Walsh and I can see them play a lot of games together.

The 2013 and 2014 U21's will produce an exceptional amount of good IC players - Cubby is going to have a job accomodating them all.

Superb bravery,courage,will and footballing talent ,i mean real skill,by Cholaiste Cholim,awesome one point win all ireland champions.What a way to win a final.
    They again came from down by 4 points.credit them again ,great characther.

As o shea said another kerry coach guide a cork schools to win an all ireland ,the lads graduated today in football.well done to all.

17 stars but lordan at 6,fintan o tooles brother ronan,aron raw ,were excellent.

Sean o donughue great leadership as captain ,and cian kiely was creating a lot .
    What a week for sean and cian,the Kiely brothers,munster and all ireland champions.Well done lads.Cian looks a lively prospect at minor.

Sean,a great speech, he will bring that desire,hunger to the minor hurlers.A great talent .
    And what a goal by super sub hyland,as good a goal to win any final.

Great to beat Bertie Ahern school and huge favs ,with 4 minor and a u21 hurler .The former school of ,goulding,paddy kelly ,ciaran sheehan ,miskella,noel galvin .They have a rich past heritge,butColaiste cholm have future cork stars here.
    Celtic and irish international ,Colin healy went there .(gaa links,grandfather Paddy won 1945 football all ireland,and hurling in 1946.

A school that has many different sports ,great to see them beat a strong dublin school where GAA is to the fore,and Croke Park is close by .Todays ,game was like David v Golliath .But theCork boys stood tall at the end.,

5 from eire og,3 from ballinora and 3 from From inniscarra,two from ballincolig ,and one each from canovee and kilmurry ,credit to Muskery,6 different clubs represented.Good week for Inniscarra,two starters on the Cork minor hurling team .

Great interview,by Sean the captain afterwards,he saw Ghrahm canty lift Sam maguire in 2010 ,and he wanted to climbs steps of croker .A yound lad with real drive and ambititon.And that real cork confidence,he said we let them get a lead ,we knew we beat them anway when asked bout the slow start in the interview.It was just an innocent ,answer,he meant in a funny way showing that cork Wit ,when the intreviewer asked him why they started slow.A great answer,to the question.A cork type answer.

My man of the match,Liam collins,what a link man ,between defence and attack.Selected at 10,he was everywhere.Hes kickpassing in the tackle and array of passing was excellent.Always demaned the ball,and unselfish work,set up many cork scores and won many frees.
    He looked the gooch in ginger hair,but was like the gooch,a focal point for hes team

Again wonderful talent as good anything in the Country in Cork .
    What makes it sweet is ucc freshers and ghobthnan,and now Cholaise cholm were coached by kerry men ,predomintly cork teams full of talent,reached promised land scoil ghobthnan had 13 cork men and two kerry men last week.
    Kerrymen the masters of the game,helping develop our underage stars of future.

Great year for Cork schools football,3 cork teams in Corn mhuirI quater final,rochestown u 16 all ireland final ,ghobtnan winning and now ,Choilm all irelands.

Superb bravery,courage,will and footballing talent ,i mean real skill,by Cholaiste Cholim,awesome one point win all ireland champions.What a way to win a final.
    They again came from down by 4 points.credit them again ,great characther.

As o shea said another kerry coach guide a cork schools to win an all ireland ,the lads graduated today in football.well done to all.

17 stars but lordan at 6,fintan o tooles brother ronan,aron raw ,were excellent.

Sean o donughue great leadership as captain ,and cian kiely was creating a lot .
    What a week for sean and cian,the Kiely brothers,munster and all ireland champions.Well done lads.Cian looks a lively prospect at minor.

Sean,a great speech, he will bring that desire,hunger to the minor hurlers.A great talent .
    And what a goal by super sub hyland,as good a goal to win any final.

Great to beat Bertie Ahern school and huge favs ,with 4 minor and a u21 hurler .The former school of ,goulding,paddy kelly ,ciaran sheehan ,miskella,noel galvin .They have a rich past heritge,butColaiste cholm have future cork stars here.
    Celtic and irish international ,Colin healy went there .(gaa links,grandfather Paddy won 1945 football all ireland,and hurling in 1946.

A school that has many different sports ,great to see them beat a strong dublin school where GAA is to the fore,and Croke Park is close by .Todays ,game was like David v Golliath .But theCork boys stood tall at the end.,

5 from eire og,3 from ballinora and 3 from From inniscarra,two from ballincolig ,and one each from canovee and kilmurry ,credit to Muskery,6 different clubs represented.Good week for Inniscarra,two starters on the Cork minor hurling team .

Great interview,by Sean the captain afterwards,he saw Ghrahm canty lift Sam maguire in 2010 ,and he wanted to climbs steps of croker .A yound lad with real drive and ambititon.And that real cork confidence,he said we let them get a lead ,we knew we beat them anway when asked bout the slow start in the interview.It was just an innocent ,answer,he meant in a funny way showing that cork Wit ,when the intreviewer asked him why they started slow.A great answer,to the question.A cork type answer.

My man of the match,Liam collins,what a link man ,between defence and attack.Selected at 10,he was everywhere.Hes kickpassing in the tackle and array of passing was excellent.Always demaned the ball,and unselfish work,set up many cork scores and won many frees.
    He looked the gooch in ginger hair,but was like the gooch,a focal point for hes team

Again wonderful talent as good anything in the Country in Cork .
    What makes it sweet is ucc freshers and ghobthnan,and now Cholaise cholm were coached by kerry men ,predomintly cork teams full of talent,reached promised land scoil ghobthnan had 13 cork men and two kerry men last week.
    Kerrymen the masters of the game,helping develop our underage stars of future.

Great year for Cork schools football,3 cork teams in Corn mhuirI quater final,rochestown u 16 all ireland final ,ghobtnan winning and now ,Choilm all irelands.

Great report, Thinkstoomuch.

It's ironic to see so many Kerry Coaches contribute to Cork Underage Football - I can't wait to see Tomas O Se's young lads wearing the red jerseys.

Some week for the Kiely Family alright - Parents must be as proud as punch.

I saw the O Donoghue lad at MF for the minors on Wed Evening - he's a lovely hurler too - another lad that has a choice to make on the dual issue.

As regards being a certainty to get a chance as a midfielder is questionable ,imo,as that hasnt been the case so far.We have a decent lad in laoire,that hasnt got game time,and deane wasnt on the orignal panel,and he wasnt in favour when he was ,bar just one game ,Andrew was 1st choice.
    Maguire is such a standout has to make it .

It took ,as I said convincing for deane to be on the panel in the end,as I posted before ,tralee It,done a bit of statsics work,on him,to get him in.Theres a cork man wit tralee it ,and they knew what deane had .They had planned to do a piece on him in u21 challenge match in mallow in January ,but he got injured in is half.
    He had won a few balls though against maguire and kiely who started that night.The lad was named Cork teams of the year .

Time will tell if deane or dinneen get a fair chance.Laoire should see game time but wont .

As regards nation or jamie burns from previous teams ,those lads arent at the level for senior.
    Dinneen ,Deane,Maguire ,and Kiely should be real contenders.Kiely can play 10 or 12.
    Hanlon showed a lot the other night and should be watched.A lot more to do,but I was impressed by hes Desire,and hes real leadership for a lad in hes 2nd game to stand up when the need was greatest the last day .

Murphy,is a good talent to watch.

The talent is in cork to win Sam by 2015.Management will determine if we do it.Unlike the Hurling ,there isnt an aera in the field,cork havent the answers to fix.Every problem in cork football 100 per cent fixable and controllable by cork .Good times ,but we could be great
    Cork juniors,and u21 are fine.
    Next year u21 will be even better again ,as hayes and gene will evolve again .The u21 is giving our fringe players top games to develop .

Sean hayes and Gene have a great quailty ,the judge each game on its own merits,and just cause it wins,wont make the crucial error ,a lot make ,let a win think there team are invincible.They are realists at the end of the day and make brave calls and repuations mean nothing to them.I heard an interview radio with Hayes,lead up to the final.He said he didnt know but about tipp.Shrewd man,never lets anyone know what hes taking.100 per cent ,he knew every detail of the tipp team.Hes attenion to detail is superb ,always has been.What he doesnt know about a team,is in truth not worth knowing .

I feel for sean o donughue,captain of cholim in schools final,he had to miss b u21 muskerry final yesterday against macroom,and tomas o connor a minor hurler with sean,played for insicarra also.
    Hanlon also played in avondu ,u21 b final for kilshannig yesterday.
    Conor Horgan,is with nemo u21 in action.A lively forward ,i do rate with Cork u 21,not a bad sub to have.

As this year will show the minors wont still end famine since 2000 of an all ireland.
    There blessed and got a lucky draw,guarenteed to be in a munster final,and even a loss,in august football .
    Compare them to the minor hurlers ,and there prepartion and coaching is miles of them,yet hurler could be out in june as we play best team country away .There season could be better desite going out in june.As next year minors will peak .
    This year ,there making up lost ground .

Donal o sullivan is loyal,gaa man and done very good beara and castletown bere.I recognise,appreciate and laud hes achivements in beara and castletownbere and in 97 was main man beara won county.Those truimphs cant ever be taken away.

A Passionate gaa man and ,i admire that immensly.A gaa stalwart,and hes family are too.

Unlike Morgan ,for example or eammon ryan,i question has he the innovation and.I worry is he too old school for a modern coach.I have nothing against old managers, nothing at all ,once there new in thought,and embrace new ways in the modern game is all I want.

However its past achievements and nothing up to the modern game in hes credentials.Its like liverpool bringing in Daglish years ago ,on past reputation.Hes commitment I dont question,just what I see,our set up is behind others and Kerry are huge prepartion under jack .
    It wont happen but unless cork win a munster title or get to a semi ,i would be looking for a new management.We have talent and a fine captain in kevin flahive,my doubts are the management .I hope im wrong.Geuinely would love us to be as good as we can be.

If cork get to an a quater final and loose,some will paint it as a succesful year.I say it now ,it isnt in that we have the soft side of munster draw,and a backdoor.The problem is that the powers to be ,dont see we have problems with minor ,as like always any huge success ,is used to paper over the cracks ,and the u21,success,they have a view minors is still producing players and that there doing a job ,when the question should be,if same talent is winning at u21,why were Dismally failing at minor despite our schools being competitve.

That team is meant to be announced tonight and appartently if true,douglas(thats fine as rochestown done very well and they were good underage),bishoptown and nemo are meant to make up a large ,portion of it .

Our Adminstator ,a former minor manager himself,once wrote an article of the view in the paper ,that producing one or two talents for senior ,in winning an all ireland up to ten years or so was like how we judge our minors managers,as a realative success.I posted that newspaper article before.It was written in may 2012 ,posted just after our minor hurlers had been beaten.There was other valid points by him though.

I don't buy that view .Yes you want talents for the future,but develop them with ,a minning culture,than a culture where there beaten regulary and self belief is drained out of them.A plant needs food and water to grow .it must be nourished.
    Its the same concept with young lads,they develop better and faster if the enviorment is right.

Cork could make no doubt about it be a force in minor football.The u21 win again should really put the focus on how our talented minors greatly underachieved the last 13 years.
    Colleges is flying and will continue to do so with morgan and o se at ucc.

From this team Cronin,dorman,o driscoll,crowley,maguire,vaughan,kiely ,are real prospects to be starters the next year or two,as there all excellent.

Crowley and dorman are such excellent players with huge talent they can make it in a competive aera.Dorman must be played anywhere bar in the full back unit.

I think stephen cronin is the only defender from the full back line, u21 ,likely to be on the panel in the future years as hes a tight corner back, that would make the senior team in the full back line imo. .
    White is a great talent,but will find it hard to make it,so many ahead of him.Could be like Dan murphy as good a centre back and capt u21 hurling 97,98,could not make it senior,so much quailty ahead him,or like any young cork hurling gk,they are behind nash and mccarthy.Fulgnatti has the same problem.

Maguire,kiely are real midfield options in the future.
    Vaughan has pace,athleticsm,strength and natural ability a real talent at u21 next year ,can make it down the line.Once he isn lost to aussie rules.

Brian o driscoll could push at 10 or 12.Himself or rourke ,how do you separtae them??both are vesatile as can play at half back,both are similar types player,both have a vision and mind of creativity and footballing intelligence,with the basic skills to compliment it.
    Both can score.Both have engines that are built around stamina and running.Both have a sidestep.
    Both have elgance and poise.Thats a tough call.Most counties would want one of them,we have two.Were blessed.

Sugrue and mac eoin are facing a lot of real quailty ahead of them but could make it.Doc ,likey to retire next year ,mac eoin is a real option.

Sugrue like cadogan have to choose hurling or football.
    We have martin a fine keeper,but he isnt better than hanahran or ken .He is as good but down the pecking order.
    Your looking at maybee 9,there is always a few that wont make it,thats natural.And I would agree we have some from last year in Alan cronin,hurley,clancy-cahalane,etc.
    One thing guaranteed ,is any player that enters the u21 team,will even if they don't make senior be at the very least a better player by at least ten per cent under hayes and Gene.

People often get carried away and say you have real depth when you anayalse what you have actually to starters ,you realise how far of some are,and its not true depth.That was a misconception of past teams.

A bit like Munster saying they have cover at 13 if lalula is out ,in downey at 13,or earls ,when its cover in number only,but in truth thats all it is ,as it aint quaity cover,as lads in cant bring that same quailty,and are limited in there roles of a team.
    A. Strong panel isnt just 30 lads on paper ,it must be quailty cover to say you have strength in the bench.Cork have that though,real depth at senior.And with Deane,and dinneen now in the picture ,midfield could be a core of strength from the achilles heel of the team.

Cork have the panel to win today.Management must act fast on the sideline.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Forthright

Great report, Thinkstoomuch.

It's ironic to see so many Kerry Coaches contribute to Cork Underage Football - I can't wait to see Tomas O Se's young lads wearing the red jerseys.

Some week for the Kiely Family alright - Parents must be as proud as punch.

I saw the O Donoghue lad at MF for the minors on Wed Evening - he's a lovely hurler too - another lad that has a choice to make on the dual issue.

Is that a certainty that O'Se's young lads will play with Cork ? I know he has said he prefers living in Cork as he isn't under the spotlight like he would be in Kerry but would he take them back to play with Kerry at some point ?

Anyway I would agree with TTM that Collins was the MOTM. While a lot of the Choilm players grew into the game especially in the second half this lad had a blinder for the full 60. Great energy, workrate, use of the ball and played the modern wing forward to a tee. They were hanging on a bit in the end and if Aidans had a reliable free kick taker extra time/replay would have been on the cards. However all teams make their own luck so congrats to all involved with Choilm on their win.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,883 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

An outstanding first half that blew Dublin away...followed by an outstanding second half that blew Cork away...meh.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement