Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

Pain in my head after that match. Livid. Cmon Derry

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭sean mac

serious llack of bottle and mental fortitude for the last 25 minutes, Dublin got tight and tough and a number of cork players didn't want to know

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

An awful loss.Won a ist half that had no intensity.destroyed in the 2nd half .
    management made. Poor calls bar o rourke .

Management is like I said,reason we could loose.
    Doc and colm shouldnt been taken off

Andrew fine ist half,dublin went short in is half ,and didnt do long kickouts
    Now dublin dominate us there

Gould great game ,Andrew nowhere be seen 2nd half

Clancy lasted hour before taken of

Managenement woeful calls and like I said had to act fast to win game

We lost a game we should won

Laoire,dinneen got no game time

Huge doubts remain mangement tactictal nous

Now andrew taken of,tom clancy aint a midfielder is on

Midfield reason the we lost .This was bound to happen

Imagine dub played 2 halfs ,and that 2nd m for them with a few out

Huge ?? Marks like I always said re management ability read a game

This was lost on the sideline

Ist half was fine,but that was down to dublin going short ,almost every time kickout.We were let play.Gavin made changes.Cuthbert made awful changes .When dublin played we couldnt stay with them.people may be happy re ist half but a game is won at end 70 minutes whos ahead.Nothing to be pleased about in the end.

Cork management was like a novice chess player ,in st game,picking of pawns of opponent and think I get all he pieces forgetting basic concepts of a game ,check make the king.
    Then the real master has enough,saw what he had to and played a tactical game and went for juglar and in simple moves ,game over.

Cuthbert was that naive today,smiling away forwards fine open game,but he forgot basic concept of modern game,a midfield wins you the game .

Nothing to do with characther players or heart etc

Lost cleary by 15 picked and subs used

Management awful errors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

It was a collapse in the second half. Dublin with wind we knew they would come into it. Strategy for second half should have been simple. Same fifteen take field and hold the score for first fifteen minutes. Looked like this was happening, then donncha fluffed two passes, quick we need a change, then another and another. All of a sudden was there fifty on the clock and we'd lost our shape completely? Gould was moved out of midfield I think after giving a motm performance, walsh comes in cold and mdm has a field day. After that no coming back. So back to the fluffed passes, after two mistakes do we think doc would not have done the simple thing next ball? I felt for that initial second half period we were doing fine. So on fifty five you bring on walsh for o sullivan, sixty in comes rourke for doc and on 65 hayes for goulding. Not all at once when your expecting the opposition to be gunning for it. We never played the clock that vital period from 40-55 minutes. We never killed their momentum by simply holding possesion. Still lots of positives and we go into summer without pressure of favourites which we may have had had we won well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

For what its worth previous games and first half league intensity, second half championship intensity. Found out a few more things today and a long way to go.funny but up to this it was about finding a partner for walsh now it looks like finding a partner gor gould.half back line ouch, wondering is damien up to it but coming back from injury well give him that benefit but he wasnt the only one.by the time dublin were in to the full back line it was too late to do anything about itit just wasnt good for ateam to lose the way they did, you would expect dublin to up the antae but you like a team to be able to respond even if they didnt win

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭sean mac

Management awful errors.[/QUOTE

Cannot agree with this statement at all. No surprise that this team and some members of it were absent against mayo and now against Dublin - 2 physical teams who are well able to squeeze. Cork have a lot of nice footballers and it is up to management with them to get them to ****ing toughen up for this level.
    Cuthbert needs to show his metal, put it up to walsh and either drop him or stop the dual bull**** at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 34,147 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Is Collins good enough? He has never stood out for me. That was embarrassing 2nd half

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

Management awful errors.

Nothing to do with the players? Please. Management got a number of calls wrong but the players are to blame too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Walsh better stay off the papers for the rest of the year. This dual player bulls@it that been going on with him for ages needs to be addressed. As far as I'm concerned he can't play any of the two games properly and he's making terrible mistakes in games and all because his head is a bit too big for his shoulders. He needs to come back to reality, focus on getting the basics and his game right. He was pathetic today, he made ridiculous mistakes today and deserves to be dropped until he cops on a bit. Sickened with that Cork performance today especially when it looked like Cork were getting their game plan together under Cuthbert.

• Advertisement

I was in castlebar,and Cork showed ,,with mayo taking foot of the gas yes ,great heart in coming back from the dead,and fought for every ball ,and a great heart.What destroyed us was the ,mayo midfield tore us a new one.

Serious,serious problems have remained and do remain at midfield since the ist day and its a woeful indictatment of Cork management ,they Fail to recognise this,and worse still they exonerate the midfield after the derry game .
    When Dublin wanted to win the game,they cleaned out our midfield.

Walsh isnt to blame,he cleary was injured .As deco said to take gould of midfield was awful.Why,cause as I said many time ,And nobody asks why,cuthbert has a unwarranted blinded loyalt to Andrew and he picks him ,and then faciltaes him in games.
    Clancy isnt a midfieler.
    Other clancy wasnt or never is a corner back,and he had andrews held then they allowed him to mark ,Mcenmann for a bit .

Forwards were fine,doc held up ball well and created a great point for hurley,got a point ,hurley and colm unmarkable and kerrigan the same.
    Problem was got no ball.

Goulding was poor but ,left on too long.Jesus hayes for colm ,was awful.We need a warrior to win hes own ball,hayes isnt that type of player.

We have won against awful teams,westmeath,kildare.Beat derry,lucky to ,drew tyryone and beat a kerry team didnt want to know .

Dublin in croke park in march was a fine win,but mayo and today ,and tyryone game showed like I said in january ,have a huge advantage in the line we dont have.And I still believe kerry have a huge advantage ,as they have fitzmaurice.

Cuthbert has good attrrubtes in some aeras,but I greatly doubt hes tactial nous.This isnt a nee jerk reaction,i have said this all during the league as he has made some poor calls,but like he precdessor ,seems stubborn to a certain type player if he likes him ,and wont change him despite clear evidence showing he isnt up it ,and also like dorman,clancy ,playing players out of position.

Midfield I said would be the rock we could perish on ,and management still are blinded by it and many in media seem oblivous to it and never question or criticse us being poor in that aera .Every single game ,i have said we have midfield problems.Today was no suprise .

Kelly was very good at centre back and is a 6 for championship.At least they sorted that .But a lot of doubts remain .
    Dinneen could have done 20 minutes so could laoire .What a joke.Nobody ?? Cuthbert why laoire isnt played. You could not blame the lad should he walk away as hes wasting time training when he isnt getting a game.
    Disgraceful treatment by management with him .

Fight and bottle was worth nothing to Counihan era when ,we were tactially beaten before a ball was kicked.Andrew sulli van ,is the main
    example of heart and bottle having a great characer,big heart. Gets you only so far yet extremely limited,cant do hes basic job,win you ball.

Kerry as per the normal,and I said it last week would blow us up ,cinneide duly obliged yesterday ,cork on the verge of a special summer,yes we would be beat. He said but he expected a battle .A 17 point turn around is a huge setback to us .What I define as special,is a munster and or all ireland .We are no where near a munster unless management learm from mistakes .

Wait for two weeks before july ,and Kerry saying they fear cork ,and ,this is the best team in years and media blowing up cuthbiert as a messiah ,when he has done nothing to merit that yet.Has been tactically exposed in 4 games in the league

Hallorahn.-fine save ,yes kicked a ball over sideline,dnt blame him as he had like I had zero confidence in the midfield in the 2nd half

Shields-fine game.Broke up lot play and done well on mcnemaion,had to be taken of

Jamie sul-o gara suprisngly had him in bother,and he was at fault for the goal,however had good moments and just in hes 3rd game back.Not yet match fit

Clancy-had andrews held,then went on mcnemanon
    Poor display.Blameless.Shouldnt play at 4.
    Loughrey-soild ,and great going forward,under huge pressure like all in 2nd half due to dublin dominating middle and overlapping from there.He must be the physical player he was for antrim in ulster.

Kelly-superb,great compusure,never wasted a ball,always right place,and composed under pressure.Answered my doubts has to start at 6.

Cahalane,was good ist half,great kickpassing,in 2nd half on the backfoot.
    Gould superb,in 2nd half when need was greatest,won vital ball and kicked great.Now I do believe he is becoming consistent.Has to start with walsh.However dont be suprised he starts at 7 or 12 as it Clear as day ,Andrew is a cuthbert favourite and a certain starter.

Andrew-people know my view.I sound like a parrot ,but cuthbert keeps picking the lad .

Collins-had a good game,worked hard ,and showed for the ball.
    DOC-had a great ist half,involved in a lot ,great leadership.Looked very unhappy taken of and rightfully so.
    He slowed the ball up ,at times when cork were panicking and then a great 40 yard pass to hurley for a point.needed that in 2nd half to take the pace out of the game,as dublin thrive on pace .

Kerrigan-worked and ran hard and created a lot.
    Goulding-poor game today ,didnt sparkle at all.All we need is hayes to start ahead of him ,and were out of the frying pan in to the fire.
    Goulding is a big game player,but I would drop him the next day only if donnach starts.

Hurley -around 6 from play ,unmarkable but must get ball.

Colm,gets a goal and four wins most ball yet in the 2nd half when he gets no ball,We bring on Hayes,we need a game changer in a battles,colm should stayed on.

The key difference in the ist half ,is seen by dublin going short with kickouts.Cork retreated and pushed back and defended as they were happy with dublin taking ball out of defence ,it was slow build up.Andrew was in hes element,picking up breaks and laying of hand passes in space.Dublin attacking ploy was telegraphed.

2nd half cluxton went long and mcauley cleaned up in the middle,despite cork trying to swarm breaks with kerrigan etc, we couldnt get a sniff,as besides gould ,we couldnt win clean aerail ball.

As soon as Dublin won it,they broke the tackle and as cuthbert had withdrew two half forwards to try and win midfield,when a player like laoire or dinnen were the answer ,dublins now free half backs ran at pace from midfield and created overlaps that caused us huge problems and in truth our half back line had no hope .

Its wrong and a serious mistake if this huge loss,we didnt get a performance even ,is put down to a young team ,naivety ,lack of hunger etc,when the real problems were poor management calls ,and I said it today Clancy and sullivan would be in trouble and management had to act fast.They didnt.

Compare that management display to u21 management and you see real tactical nous.And while that u21 set up have failed to sort out the full back position,they to be fair havent many options .

Cuthbert has no excuse .Absoultey none for the midfield shambles .
    And dualism to get walsh fit must be ,but wont be ended.
    Dublin didnt show up in the ist half and with a weak team ,turned a 10 point deficit to a 7 point win.It was a dissaster ,lets be honest .Dublin had 5 real stars out.We had close 11 starters.Cadogan being fit wouldnt made huge difference in corks major problems werent at 3.

Colm and barry driscoll werent huge losses either to the team.
    O rourke was good when he came on but ,goulding should have went off ,with Donnacha moving inside.

Minor team to play limerick in the football
    ’Driscoll (Castlehaven)
    2. Cian O’Donovan (Clonakilty)
    3. Kevin Flahive (Douglas – Captain)
    4. Sean Powter (Douglas)
    5. Tom Bushe (Ilen Rovers)
    6. Daniel Meaney (St. Michael’s)
    7. Cian Kiely (Ballincollig)
    8. Sean O’Leary (Bantry Blues)
    9. Brian Coakley (Carrigaline)
    10. Sean O’Donoghue (Inniscarra)
    11. Michael Dineen (Naomh Abán)
    12. Seamus Ronayne (Clyda Rovers)
    13. Shane Kingston (Douglas)
    14. Michael Hurley (Castlehaven)
    15. Damien Buckley (Ballyclough)

Subs
    16. Anthony Kidney (Passage West)
    17. Alex Hassett (Ilen Rovers)
    18. John Mullins (Eire Óg)
    19. Michael Lordan (Ballinora)
    20. David O’Neill (Mayfield)
    21. Chris Moynihan (Gabriel Rangers)
    22. Gary Murphy (Castletownbere)
    23. Michael Cottrell (Newmarket)
    24. Martin Collins (Kilmacabea)

Only two of the Cork Minor Football team that lost out to Tipperary in the 2013 Championship will start against Limerick on Wednesday night – Castlehaven’s Michael Hurley, brother of Senior star Brian, and captain Kevin Flahive. The three seventeen-year-olds on the starting fifteen, Seán Powther, Shane Kingston and Tom Bushe, have all come up through the Rebel Óg Academy, featuring on last year’s U16 Development Squad. Daniel Meaney and Seán O'Donoghue, who captained Coláiste Choilm to win the All-Ireland Post-Primary Schools Senior B Final on Saturday, started for the Cork Minor hurlers against Kerry in this year’s Championship, while Martin Collins and Shane Kingston are also on the hurling panel. Cian Kiely also played on the All-Ireland winning Coláiste Choilm team on Saturday.

Additional Panel Members
    Eoin O’Sullivan (Douglas)
    Conor Nolan (Castlehaven)
    Ronan Walsh (Castlehaven)
    Andrew Joyce (Youghal)
    John Fintan Daly (Knocknagree)
    Cathal Crowley (Millstreet)
    Ian O’Callaghan (St. Finbarr’s)

Management: Donal O'Sullivan (Castletownbere) - Manager, Tom Dorgan (Ballincollig - coach), Michael Comyns (St. Finbarr's), Andrew McCarthy (Inniscarra), Paul Holland (Argideen Rangers).

Good talent there but Kiely at 7 is one positonal change of many I dont agree with .He was good yesterday as a 14,yet we play him at 7.See my concerns with this management team .

Ronayne ,a hurler u17 winner last year,trained minor hurlers earlier in the year ,isnt a half forward.A fine player.
    Mike lordan ,superb yesterday against a dublin minor yet a sub.If its down to he needs a break ,fair enough.
    Kingston is a great talent but I think he is a better half forward.

Should win against limerick,but theres four lads not here that should be .Not inspired by this management and there selection hasnt changed my mind .

FAO OF yom tea 98

I never said it had nothing to do with the players .I said the players HEART ,and CHARACTHER isnt the problem .
    As in andrews case.
    The problem is clearly at management door for picking a lad do a job he simply can.
    CLancy hastheart of the the lion ,yet played out of out positon .

Dublin dominated possesion 80/20 second half ,had nothing to do with heart or characther .we hadnt the players with the skills to win a vital aera.There is a difference.

My reply was to ,a post that said ,we had no mental fortuide and lost it on that.That isnt the case .

Some players have all the will in the world,but are limited.Its management that pick them over and over again .You dont blame the players then .Managenent hold the key ,and I always said that .

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

Jesus lads, how is Andrew O'Sullivan starting. He seemed absolutely clueless out there today.
    <modsnip> No personal comments about players.

A disgraceful display in the second half. Zero ball into Hurley who has his man in all sorts of trouble all day. It all started with Jamie Sull ****ting himself when he got the ball from that short free near midfield, turning blind and handpassing it leading to the goal. That IMO was the turning point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭slingerz

I would have taken DOC off I thought he slowed down the attacks something fierce. Clancy looked to struggle at corner back and I don't think that position suits him

Aidan Walsh was very poor though and I wouldn't overly judge the subs or team picked really I reckon they have to go by how training is going and how the players are. I reckon there is a lot of positives to take into championship for cork

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I think today was indeed poorly handled by management when things started to go bad, however, there is at times a disappointing trend of this team having outstanding periods of play intermixed with some really bad stuff. Players need to take responsibility too, especially the senior lads.

There is a tendency when things go wrong for us to loose our shape and tactics completely and it looks very ugly. That is the big challenge for this management team in my opinion. In the past number of years we have been a lovely team full of great talent and potential. That's not the issue. But we really need to recognise theses lapses quicker and address them. We were very slow to change our kick outs today when they clearly weren't working, the same way in the past few years we persisted with bizarre periods of lateral passes in front of the half-forward line with zero penetration and other teams able to sit back and nullify us.

There is a great team here again, but we need to be sharper addressing things when they are not going our way.

Id seriously 100 per disagree any personal comments people make re,Andrew,and I have always criticised him, but Purlely as a footballer.

Not that it matters but Hes a carpetnter by trade and a superb craftsman by all accounts.

Problem is andrew is asked by management play a game he simply cant and that is management fault .

Wait til he starts against kerry ,they are waiting for him .

He has always had weak aeras to he game and isnt at that stage of hes career going to improve to intercounty level.

I would agree with jamie,poor for the goal,however just back and of match fitness he has a defence.

Had a good ist half great point,o gara was a hand full

We dont need to panic if management read the game,learn from mistakes.If they dont ,huge concerns.Thats my worry.The post match interviews tell there perception of events today.

Midfield is like a foundation of a house.weak base,its fine sun,dry day.First sign of stormy weather,slowly cracks appear.If it aint fixed,cracks get bigger and bigger,then House falls down .Cork house fell down as we had no foundation.
    Were not that bad,but you CANT COMPETE WITHOUT A MIDFIELD .

Today backs were under wave of wave of attack and bound to crumble and how can forwards score with no or slow ball .
    Its two fold problem ,a sub standard midfield causes .

The crux of Corks problem against mayo,2nd half against the oak leaf men ,today ,and tyrone has been midfield.

As regards,we cant read too much in to what team was picked,i have to ,strongly dissagree.

Im sorry ,but doing it in training is no good and doesnt cut it ,if in countless games players fail to do it .

I say it again,Naughton was fastest man ,in cork hurling training,best touch,but couldnt do it white heat of championship.In this case,heart and will for battle were the problems.

In the case of football,its simple really,lads asked do job they cant do.

What good is Andrew performing fine in training in banteer or Skib,or Dunmanw.y in a small ptich against gould etc,when he cant do it against All Star quailty midfielders in intercounty .This training lark,counihan ,had as gospel and it didnt add up ,as he picked walsh at 11 ,and kissane ,etc cause they flew it at training.
    Sorry but our training is not like in clare or kk.
    Andrew has in fairness ,hes fair share of chances.
    Surely people agree ,dinneen,or deane ,or laoire at Least deserve two games see are they better.They cant be any worse .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

Do ye know what would make agreat team the front half of this team with the back half of conors team

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Gary Neville

I'm very surprised that you thought O Halloran had a good game, Thinkstoomuch.

He made 1 great save but his kick-outs were the worst I've ever seen. I didn't think he could kick as badly as he did in Killarney last year but he was far worse today. I'd say the stats are woeful. He'll be embarrased when they do the video analysis. Ken is gone if he doesn't sort this out.

For me, the only Cork players that did themselves justice were Shields, Paddy Kelly, Kerrigan, Hurley - I wouldn't place any blame on guys returning from injury - Jamie Sull, Cahalane and Colm O Neill.

Jamie Sull made a crucial mistake giving the ball away for their goal. I thought the penalty was harsh and we were unlucky for their goal but we were well beaten. Hard to know whether this will have a serious impact on our confidence.

Maybe we have to make allowance for AW - he had a hand injury but he seems to lack confidence.

We won't win sam this season but we have made a lot of progress - management are still learning too and this was a good lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

I think there's been an over reaction to today's game! Cuthbert has only been in charge a short time. He's only had the McGrath cup and the league to overhaul Counihan's team. That's only what 3-4 months! Give the guy a break, and give the team a break. There were some colossal mistakes today and bad play but this Cork team is a work in progress. Cork will be judged on championship and nothing else. Remember that in Counihan's tenure we won 4 national league titles. 3 Division 1 and 1 Division 2. Counihan is considered a failure because of his lack of success at championship level. I think Cuthbert is going in the right direction. I'm think he's knows what he's doing, and I think he'll get it right come championship!

It wouldnt cause ,Canty and kissane,arent akin to fast kicking ball movement.
    Kissane too lateral,slow on the ball and like rubgy league runs in to contact and doesnt have spatial awarness.An athlete,not a pure footballer.
    Canty would do at 3 alright,but thats not a problem for cork .
    Noel would be fine ,only one at half back.
    Alan o connor ,wouldnt have the pace ,and Nicholas,great servant,however kerry had hes number.
    Pearse would be ,i agree in hes day great there .

I certainly wouldnt want carey ,2010 form at corner back.
    There is nothing wrong with our 1-7 once we get the balance right and let young lads grow.I cant believe the dismay and negativity re our players ,when talent is there,but wrong team was pickem.
    People got carried away with all ireland talk,and now were getting a view were worse than we are.
    Today was always on the cards.
    Managements naivety and a real lack of Even one expierenced ,proven track record man in there is clearly coming to the fore.

Thats why I advocated Gene o driscoll should been a selector.Ciaran,davis ,etc no expierence.
    Ciaran though may be okay .
    Compare our management to Tyryone,Dublin ,Mayo and kerry .
    Were miles of in expierence.
    When cuthbert got the job,i said it,key was the selectors.
    Sean hayes,got the job ,brought in Gene at u21.People must realise against Harte,gavin and horan ,our management have been outthought.
    Forget bout kerry,they didnt want to know in the 2nd half.Thats wasnt the Real kerry.
    What they have is a proven management in Munster at least .

It wouldnt cause ,Canty and kissane,arent akin to fast kicking ball movement.
    Kissane too lateral,slow on the ball and like rubgy league runs in to contact and doesnt have spatial awarness.An athlete,not a pure footballer.
    Canty would do at 3 alright,but thats not a problem for cork .
    Noel would be fine ,only one at half back.
    Alan o connor ,wouldnt have the pace ,and Nicholas,great servant,however kerry had hes number.
    Pearse would be ,i agree in hes day great there .

I certainly wouldnt want carey ,2010 form at corner back.
    There is nothing wrong with our 1-7 once we get the balance right and let young lads grow.I cant believe the dismay and negativity re our players ,when talent is there,but wrong team was pickem.
    People got carried away with all ireland talk,and now were getting a view were worse than we are.
    Today was always on the cards.
    Managements naivety and a real lack of Even one expierenced ,proven track record man in there is clearly coming to the fore.

Thats why I advocated Gene o driscoll should been a selector.Ciaran,davis ,etc no expierence.
    Ciaran though may be okay .
    Compare our management to Tyryone,Dublin ,Mayo and kerry .
    Were miles of in expierence.
    When cuthbert got the job,i said it,key was the selectors.
    Sean hayes,got the job ,brought in Gene at u21.People must realise against Harte,gavin and horan ,our management have been outthought.
    Forget bout kerry,they didnt want to know in the 2nd half.Thats wasnt the Real kerry.
    What they have is a proven management in Munster at least .
    Are you saying Cuthbert isn't up to it? Definitely not up to it?

• Advertisement

He had nothing to aim that.I judge him when he has a real midfield to aim at .
    Gary,i have constantly,despite people refusing to say it,said we had a sub standard midfield,every game since feburary.Iknew this day was coming,and said in my preview we would only win ,if we acted fast at midfield.I can see it,many others can,so A Cork manager should see it.Simple ,its there job ,at the end of the day .

I have to dissagree.How are management Learning ,when it takes 8 games show midfield is in dire straits yet Andrew starts all bar one,and half backs are played as corner backs.

How long do want to give management to learn.This is a simple game .Everyone see we have huge problems at midfield,you say management are learning.

Were in April,championship is upon us.Yes they are new,no excuse for Repeated mistkes being made over and over again.This talk that we will rectify ,.it in july is like counihan reigme,based n a hope than a belief.

Hes team is set in stone ,12 lads I say .

Andrew is one of them .If he starts in may ,is Cuthbert still learning.
    Today isnt being taken out of context.It shows serious flaws tacticajtlly and in the team that are 100per cent fixable,but you Cant fix it,you dont accept there is a problem.

What im saying Archer like I always said,he was naive in picking a totally inexpierenced backroom team,and you im sure will agree I said this.
    What I said after wins and said today,he has done good in some aeras ,but Talk all irelands is wide of the mark ,as The Jury is still very much out on the management set up .
    Against Harte,and Horan and Gavin three winners weve been outhought and I always said they had a better managememt set up,than we have.
    We hope ours can be ,but none have proven track records in winning to give me belief than hope .
    I always prefer to have a belief than just hope g

He had nothing to aim that.I judge him when he has a real midfield to aim at .
    Gary,i have constantly,despite people refusing to say it,said we had a sub standard midfield,every game since feburary.Iknew this day was coming,and said in my preview we would only win ,if we acted fast at midfield.I can see it,many others can,so A Cork manager should see it.Simple ,its there job ,at the end of the day .

I have to dissagree.How are management Learning ,when it takes 8 games show midfield is in dire straits yet Andrew starts all bar one,and half backs are played as corner backs.

How long do want to give management to learn.This is a simple game .Everyone see we have huge problems at midfield,you say management are learning.

Were in April,championship is upon us.Yes they are new,no excuse for Repeated mistkes being made over and over again.This talk that we will rectify ,.it in july is like counihan reigme,based n a hope than a belief.

Hes team is set in stone ,12 lads I say .

Andrew is one of them .If he starts in may ,is Cuthbert still learning.
    Today isnt being taken out of context.It shows serious flaws tacticajtlly and in the team that are 100per cent fixable,but you Cant fix it,you dont accept there is a problem.
    If Cork don't win Munster and make it to an All-Ireland final then I will agree with you and say that Cuthbert is out of his depth.

Here is my take. It's not easy to rid this team of Counihan's tactics and methods. That can not happen in a few short months. I can see that Cuthbert is trying to play a different style of football but it takes time to perfect. I'm prepared to wait. I may be wrong. Cork may suffer as a result in championship this year but I'm nailing my colours to the mast early on, and I'm going to give Cuthbert my backing for championship because I can see he's going in the right direction.

Id agree with that moral of the post archer,he is playing a game that is new ,and I dont blame of fault him for that ,i applaud him.
    That isnt the problem or the game plan.My point is,he is totally loyal to Andrew ,and fails to recoginse the midfield issue,and also playing a half back in the corner.
    That has zero to do with changing game plan ,or taking time,its a basic requirment that managememt team should say ,Clancy has had 4 games at corner back and been in trouble and midfield we have issues .
    To a point we are heading in the right path,but were at a crossroads now.If they dont sort midfield,dualism and corner back we will remain at cross roads at best,at worse go backwards and wont go forward.

Id agree with that moral of the post archer,he is playing a game that is new ,and I dont blame of fault him for that ,i applaud him.
    That isnt the problem or the game plan.My point is,he is totally loyal to Andrew ,and fails to recoginse the midfield issue,and also playing a half back in the corner.
    That has zero to do with changing game plan ,or taking time,its a basic requirment that managememt team should say ,Clancy has had 4 games at corner back and been in trouble and midfield we have issues .
    To a point we are heading in the right path,but were at a crossroads now.If they dont sort midfield,dualism and corner back we will remain at cross roads at best,at worse go backwards and wont go forward.
    I'm not making excuses for Cuthbert or saying midfield wasn't a problem today. It was incredibly bad in the second half and management had no answer. What I will say is that I think Cuthbert will get it right eventually. I don't think Cork as a team in development can be judged on today!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

keep going wrote: »
    Do ye know what would make agreat team the front half of this team with the back half of conors team

Not really, the inside backs were always a cause of concern under Counihan.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Gary Neville

I don't agree with you about this being down to management Thinkstoomuch.

There wasn't much they could do about MF IMO. The U21's are not being used so they can't consider Maguire or Kiely yet. AW has been injured. Dineen has only just joined the panel - we don't know why he didn't join earlier. Ruairi Deane looked like he would challenge but got injured. Management also hoped to have AOC available as maybe an impact sub.

We did very well against a highly rated Kerry midfield and Butcher has been playing fairly well. Colm O Driscoll won a lot of breaks in Tralee and he was a loss. Ken O Hallorans kick-outs were woeful and this compounded the problem - maybe management should have been aware of this weakness as he was poor in Killarney last year but it hasn't been an obvious problem up to now. I agree that Michael O Laoire should have been given game time - I don't know why he wasn't used in the league. Apart from trying O Laoire, I'm not sure what else management could have done.

We must also recognise that we had 3 defenders just back from long term injuries who were starting their 2nd games - this rustiness was a factor in Jamie giving the ball away that led to Dublin's goal - this was very unlucky too as the ball rebounded to McCauley when there was loads of Cork defenders nearby - it fell perfectly for him. When we have Cadogan, Dorman, BOD and Crowley all available then we'll have more options. Tom Clancy needs to be placed at 6 and see how he gets on.

We are in the middle of team rebuilding and someone said that's like rewiring your house with the electricity still connected - you are bound to get a few shocks.

I'd agree that Gene O Driscoll would have been a huge assett as Ciaran, Don and Owen are novices at this level but I'd say they are quick learners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

slingerz wrote: »
    I would have taken DOC off I thought he slowed down the attacks something fierce. Clancy looked to struggle at corner back and I don't think that position suits him

Aidan Walsh was very poor though and I wouldn't overly judge the subs or team picked really I reckon they have to go by how training is going and how the players are. I reckon there is a lot of positives to take into championship for cork

Quick question for you, were you at the match or watching on tv?

I don't agree with you about this being down to management Thinkstoomuch.

There wasn't much they could do about MF IMO. The U21's are not being used so they can't consider Maguire or Kiely yet. AW has been injured. Dineen has only just joined the panel - we don't know why he didn't join earlier. Ruairi Deane looked like he would challenge but got injured. Management also hoped to have AOC available as maybe an impact sub.

We did very well against a highly rated Kerry midfield and Butcher has been playing fairly well. Colm O Driscoll won a lot of breaks in Tralee and he was a loss. Ken O Hallorans kick-outs were woeful and this compounded the problem - maybe management should have been aware of this weakness as he was poor in Killarney last year but it hasn't been an obvious problem up to now. I agree that Michael O Laoire should have been given game time - I don't know why he wasn't used in the league. Apart from trying O Laoire, I'm not sure what else management could have done.

We must also recognise that we had 3 defenders just back from long term injuries who were starting their 2nd games - this rustiness was a factor in Jamie giving the ball away that led to Dublin's goal - this was very unlucky too as the ball rebounded to McCauley when there was loads of Cork defenders nearby - it fell perfectly for him. When we have Cadogan, Dorman, BOD and Crowley all available then we'll have more options. Tom Clancy needs to be placed at 6 and see how he gets on.

We are in the middle of team rebuilding and someone said that's like rewiring your house with the electricity still connected - you are bound to get a few shocks.

I'd agree that Gene O Driscoll would have been a huge assett as Ciaran, Don and Owen are novices at this level but I'd say they are quick learners.
    Completly dissagree,noexcuse start andrew nearly all games

Do you realise Andrew is starter in may

Laoire was an option
    Dinneen was fit for 15 minuter

Picking clancy was a shocking call at 4,cronin should played

forget bov kerry,jesus they had no interest that game 2nd half
    Yesterday like tyrone,derry and Mayo we were destr6yed at midfield.

Happens once is accident but happened a lot of times its a trend,midfield is a issue
    Team doesnt pick itself

Management does,and they picked the wrong team and made awful changes bar o rourke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

Hi all sorry was away traveling all last week - just catching up now - would really appreciate the PM of the poor unfortunate player...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement