Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Forthright

I think KOH is getting an unfair doing tbh. With regards to Killarney the first half down there was a debacle all over the pitch. Hurley was the only lad who looked on it but didn't get enough ball. In the second half though we took over at midfield for long spells when AOC was introduced and there wasn't a whole lot wrong with his kick outs then.
    Our midfield collapsed yesterday and I would go as far to say that even if Cluxton was in goal for us in the 2nd half he would have struggled to find a man as we were winning no ball full stop. KOH does need to improve but midfield and the lads under the breaking ball have just as much to improve on.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Gary Neville

Completly dissagree,noexcuse start andrew nearly all games

Do you realise Andrew is starter in may

Laoire was an option
    Dinneen was fit for 15 minuter

Picking clancy was a shocking call at 4,cronin should played

forget bov kerry,jesus they had no interest that game 2nd half
    Yesterday like tyrone,derry and Mayo we were destr6yed at midfield.

Happens once is accident but happened a lot of times its a trend,midfield is a issue
    Team doesnt pick itself

Management does,and they picked the wrong team and made awful changes bar o rourke

I don't want to get into an argument with u Thinkstoomuch as I agree with 99% of what u say.

Management also take into account how lads do in training. I don't know whether O Laoire is good enough and it's strange that he's the only one not given an opportunity especially as he's a MF'er.

But that's the way it was and after the performance in Tralee they had to start Butcher and Goold - who would u have started at MF ?

Management brought on O Rourke, Clancy, AW, Hayes, Galvin and K O Driscoll (in injury time) - maybe it wasn't a game that suited Hayes but I can't see what else they could have done - what changes would u have made ?

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

I think it needs to be said as well that some lads may have been carrying injuries or picked up knocks in training. So, maybe some of the selections yesterday were forced. I don't think that is Cork's best 15. For instance if this was the semi-final of the All-Ireland then Aidan Walsh would have started, injury or no injury. But yesterday Cuthbert played it safe and only bought him on in the second half.

Forthright wrote: »
    I think KOH is getting an unfair doing tbh. With regards to Killarney the first half down there was a debacle all over the pitch. Hurley was the only lad who looked on it but didn't get enough ball. In the second half though we took over at midfield for long spells when AOC was introduced and there wasn't a whole lot wrong with his kick outs then.
    Our midfield collapsed yesterday and I would go as far to say that even if Cluxton was in goal for us in the 2nd half he would have struggled to find a man as we were winning no ball full stop. KOH does need to improve but midfield and the lads under the breaking ball have just as much to improve on.

We must have been looking at different game, Forthright. I thought that Ken's kieck-outs were shocking. He overhit the ball in the first half and balloned it up in the air in the 2nd usually to where Dublin had greater numbers. He was dropped last year due to an aweful kicking performance in Killarney.
    A goalkeeper must now be able to kick out accurately to give his team an advantage - Morgan for Tyrone was superb against us. We were very poor in MF in the 2nd half yesterday but all the more need for good kick-outs - Did u think that his kick-outs were remotely up to scratch ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭slingerz

Deco99 wrote: »
    Quick question for you, were you at the match or watching on tv?

Watching on TV, what is your point?

• Advertisement

We must have been looking at different game, Forthright. I thought that Ken's kieck-outs were shocking. He overhit the ball in the first half and balloned it up in the air in the 2nd usually to where Dublin had greater numbers. He was dropped last year due to an aweful kicking performance in Killarney.
    A goalkeeper must now be able to kick out accurately to give his team an advantage - Morgan for Tyrone was superb against us. We were very poor in MF in the 2nd half yesterday but all the more need for good kick-outs - Did u think that his kick-outs were remotely up to scratch ?
    The worst thing you could do would be to drop Halloran. I thought Counihan was wrong to drop him last year. Goalkeepers are confidence players, more so than any other player on the pitch. Some times you've just got to stick with them, and see out the bad patch.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Forthright

Ya I don't disagree that his kick outs need to be worked on and it certainly did look like he was just driving them out to the same spot during the second half. However what other options were we giving him. Should the mgt team have brought back one of the forwards like Collins to act as a sweeper and this would also have helped to free up a man for the kick outs. The reality is our midfield are not great fielders of a ball at this level. Goold and AOS have their moments but when compared with the likes of N.Murphy and D.Kavanagh are never likely to dominate a game like these boys could.
    We also don't have two half forwards like Flynn and Connolly that Cluxton has to aim at out on the wings. The mgt are going to have to really earn their corn here. KOH will need to improve the midfielders starting need to improve and the lads under the breaking ball also need to up their game as they didn't win enough of that in the second half. Maguire may yet have a big contribution to make starting or off the bench.
    Just as an aside I think O'Hallorhan wad dropped for saying something in a meeting after the game as much as his performance in Killarney.

Forthright wrote: »
    Ya I don't disagree that his kick outs need to be worked on and it certainly did look like he was just driving them out to the same spot during the second half. However what other options were we giving him. Should the mgt team have brought back one of the forwards like Collins to act as a sweeper and this would also have helped to free up a man for the kick outs. The reality is our midfield are not great fielders of a ball at this level. Goold and AOS have their moments but when compared with the likes of N.Murphy and D.Kavanagh are never likely to dominate a game like these boys could.
    We also don't have two half forwards like Flynn and Connolly that Cluxton has to aim at out on the wings. The mgt are going to have to really earn their corn here. KOH will need to improve the midfielders starting need to improve and the lads under the breaking ball also need to up their game as they didn't win enough of that in the second half. Maguire may yet have a big contribution to make starting or off the bench.
    Just as an aside I think O'Hallorhan wad dropped for saying something in a meeting after the game as much as his performance in Killarney.

Never heard that. Interesting. I assumed it was because of his kick-outs.

Butcher is not a good fielder but does a lot of doneky work - he seemed dead on his feet after HT. Gould is a good fielder but is small for a modern day MF'er. AW will start if he concentrates on football and Maguire will be in before too long - maybe next season.

Ken is a fantastic shot stopper and if he's dropped now then he's finished - I hope it's something that can be improved but there's lots of other areas that also need work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Id agree Fortright ,as ,whatever faults Ken had,he had nothing to aim it.He was pissing against the wind.

Who would I start Gary,anybody but Andrew ,simply as we know what he can bring,donkey work,is not much use when he cant win primary ball,all he can do ,then is hand pass and he cant kick an accurate pass.
    Donkies dont win derbies,so donkey work isnt any good when we need more finese and natural ball winning.
    He suited to old counihan style,not up to modern game.Seen a lot the lad at club ,and no where near this level.

Laoire should started.Dinnenn is in excellent physical shape,farming ,on hes feet all day long,and no means unfit,lacks match sharpness but could done 15 minutes.

We have enough workers in collins and o rourke ,we dont need Andrew just for that.

Id agree Fortright ,as ,whatever faults Ken had,he had nothing to aim it.He was pissing against the wind.

Who would I start Gary,anybody but Andrew ,simply as we know what he can bring,donkey work,is not much use when he cant win primary ball,all he can do ,then is hand pass and he cant kick an accurate pass.
    Donkies dont win derbies,so donkey work isnt any good when we need more finese and natural ball winning.
    He suited to old counihan style,not up to modern game.Seen a lot the lad at club ,and no where near this level.

Laoire should started.Dinnenn is in excellent physical shape,farming ,on hes feet all day long,and no means unfit,lacks match sharpness but could done 15 minutes.

We have enough workers in collins and o rourke ,we dont need Andrew just for that.

In all fairness, Thinkstoomuch - they couldn't have started O Laoire or Dineen yesterday - maybe give them some game time but they had to start the same lads as Tralee.

I'd agree with you that it's now clear that Andrew is very limited in fielding high ball and that's the primary job of a MF'er. Lots of lessons learned.

• Advertisement

Gary,of course they of.They had numerous chances to start laoire And Blatantly ignored hes talents .
    Yesterday was a league game,and Andrew has been average ,and could have played him.Harnedy was thrown in against clare last year,without lot games.

Laoire has pace ,and work ethic ,just as good and better to andrew.At worst you get the same as andrew.At best you get an improvement,even 10 per cent improvement helps.

Saw laoire and walsh destroy kerry in 2011 u21.I see laoire with Naomh abhan survive physical games.THis talk we couldnt do this or that ,and Andrew is best we had is as others say is just incorrect.

Andrew wouldnt make top 5 midfielders in cork,and some ahead of him arent up to intercounty level.
    Kerry are going to destroy that midfield and ,Cork could loose.

Its 100 per cent fault management that every game ,we had midfied issues,and yet Andrew starts every game and also taking of colm ,doc,and clancy at 4 was awful reading of a game .Huge worries for Championship .Tacially out manovered.

No lessons have been learned im afraid to say as juding by post match talk midfield wasnt seen as an issue.They blame tireness etc,andrew ran out of steam,young team,etc e c when harsh reailty is clear as day to see for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

slingerz wrote: »
    Watching on TV, what is your point?

Your comments suggested as much was all. you wanted quick ball into the forwards, dublin worked very hard at closing down that space, we managed to break it in first half between direct running (gould and kerrigan) and choosing the correct long ball (DOC and goulding hit two that stood out).second half this wasnt too easy as there was a strong breeze to play against, and on tv you dont get to see the dublin defenders covering so quick ball isnt on all the time, unfortunately we persisted and gave the ball back straight away rather than hold possession.

I think for that second half we should have been tactically sharper, hindsight is great but seems the wind was strongish, we had a seven point lead and Hurley was causing wreck when he got it, could we have forsaken goulding for clancy perhaps and revert to a counter attack style, running from deep, holding possession and dragging the dublin team back into their own half to get it off us rather than gung ho style we adopted plus we may have won more breaks around the middle with the extra defender?

Cant put too much fault on a corner back who is dealing with a forward getting perfect ball, the players further out need to put more pressure on the passer to give the back a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭rughug

Hey Langball. U were obviously either not born or in nappies circa 1990. regarding your comment about who wins derbies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

rughug wrote: »
    Hey Langball. U were obviously either not born or in nappies circa 1990. regarding your comment about who wins derbies.

Ah Jaysus, is this meant for the soccer forum??? Cant wait for that crap to end so the idiots wearing the LFC tracksuits can go back to singing ra songs and staying out in the smoking room while the GAA is on.

Deco99 wrote: »
    Ah Jaysus, is this meant for the soccer forum??? Cant wait for that crap to end so the idiots wearing the LFC tracksuits can go back to singing ra songs and staying out in the smoking room while the GAA is on.
    Did anyone listen to Joe Brolly on Game on tonight. What a stupid idiot. He said Cork had no heart. He also said that the Dublin team doctor said to him before the game that they'd have no trouble against Cork cos they have no heart. That man really gets on my nerves.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,883 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Brolly = pinch of salt

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Brolly = pinch of salt
    Yeah, I know, it shouldn't irritate me but it does, and he does. I could do with a punching bag now!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Brolly = punch in face

Fixed your post there shamo :D

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭corkrobinhood

Just on the Brolly subject,was sitting a small bit away from him in the Hogan yesterday,surrounded by Derry fans,some craic with them,14 men against Mayo,cracking game.

As for Cork.....*shakes head and big sigh*

My own opinions would be this:

Kickouts were poor,if you dont have an option in midfield,go short,its plain and simple as that. There is absolutely zero excuse for kicking a ball aimlessly out over the sideline,unless your facing a gale force breeze. Which wasnt the case yesterday.

Clancy from Clon is not a corner back. And again I say no1 in the county seems to know what his best position is.

We will not win a Munster title or an All Ireland unless we get 2 lads into midfield that can jump and win a ball cleanly in the air,a contested ball,not uncontested or knocked off another player or punched down or across. Clean,in the air ball. We have one almost there in Fintan,we need another one badly. Very badly.....

Pick 6 forwards in their right positions and stick to them ffs. Stop bringing scoring corner forwards back to clear up loose ball or as sweepers around midfield. The forwards we have need to be in around the goal,not loitering around midfield.

Wake up on the sideline. Bad tactics,wrong subs and sometimes no plan B.

Back to the drawing board for us,cause after yesterday Kerry wont be a bit worried.

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/ciaran-sheehan-aussie-rules-debut-northern-blues-1402775-Apr2014/?utm_source=twitter_self

Credit due,but thats not the AFl leauge ,its a second division,as that club is an affilate of Carlton.He would do well to make it there .I can't help but feel Colm O rourke was spot on,more token gestures,irish lads going over there very few make it in the Main AFLleague.I hope he makes it,its what he wants.
    How Cork could do with him at midfield.

Cuthbhert wants two players per position ,a panel of 30 he said.Now theres no point in having 30 players ,and saying you have depth,when the subs are greatly inferior to the starters.Natuarlly they wont be the same,eg only one Shields ,Hurley,Colm etc but you must have lads close to that standard

My 30 as things stand after the league and I couldnt see it changing in is as below.Its a good time to evaluate.This is based on Cadogan,walsh,and Cadogan sticking with the football.There is real cover in the majority of the positions.

Hallorahan,and hanaharan.Two great ,agile shot stoppers,would go to war with either two in the Morning.Kickouts has to be workf on,but Ronan O gara,johnny wikinsm,and dan carter wouldnt do much better yesterday as they had zero to aim for
    Shields-A starter. Galvin is an able debtuant if he is not starting

Cadogan and jamie sullivan ,both are good cover at full back .Both need to be match fit .

Cronin ,and crowley can do jobs here.Crowley is a half back ,by trade but has such natural instinct on how to defend ,is fine in the Corner.I saw him play there at club down the years when the need arose.Crowley will become one of Corks Greats .Superb attuide,match hes natural talent.
    Cadogan,shields and Jamie can cover full or corner back also.

Half back line
    Loughrey,clancys x2,Brian O Driscoll,Dorman and Cahalane give you 6 players for 3 positions.All potentially as good as each other.
    Clancy is getting a lot of crticism,hes gone back etc.
    People are unfair to the lad,he is doing a job he simply isnt suited to.
    Judge him at half back.

Kelly is fine going forward,defensively I wanted to be convinced.Dublin answered that .Barry Donovan had he stats in the echo,he had 19 possesions against Kerry and never had lost a turnover.Impressive ,and it doesnt suprise me .Wonderful vision and intelligence.If he can defend ,hes the man at centre back.And yesterday he done that.

Midfield is the problem .
    Walsh the only starter .
    Gould the best option as a partner for Walsh.However not in the O sheas,mccaulely league.
    We were struggling to find two players now not to mind cover.As I said ,no point in naming others unless they can do a job.

Sean Dinnen and Deane are the best two options for july but both have no matches at that level ,and huge ask to throw them in july ,stone cold .If we have to ,Dinneen I would feel has the temparament to pull it off ,and I would go with him as a sub .He done well against Crokes in kerry. However Deane availbitiy changes the landscape hughely.
    Kelly is an option here,played a lot at underage there for cork.However I genuinely don't believe we need him now with Deane and dinnen in the fray.Half forward or half back hes real home.Maguire must be added to the training panel,a future star.

Midfield dominated the second half. Last sunday but in truth,Maher was off and Buckley was at half forward,so that match should not be a true gaugeg
    Fitzmaurice made such baffling decisions,id question if he really wanted to win .I cant see he doing the same as that gamein july .

.There is no way yesterdays pairing will dominate on july 6th.It be a blessing in disguise to break even at least .I hope Cuthbert and co see beyound this false dawn at midfield,discard that 2nd half and reflect overall in the 7 games we played,and look at yesterday.The real truths about midfield are in those games .

I have asked myself what does Cuthbhert see in Andrew.I think it is he reminds himself to him as a player wonderfully commited,always honest,knows what the red jersey means and he performs 100 per cent to hes maxium ability every game .

Cuthbert spoke ,when he got the cork job,that the values he wanted ,was the Red jersey means something and those values are you leave nothing on the field of the play .Andrew is testament to that .

The problem is hes manxium ability is just of what we need.People have the view he ,as a late comer could be like Paudi kissane,a lad that was discarded by Morgan but then came good.The fundamental difference with Kissane was the game cork played in 2010 and the general game was more about Athletes,power,strength and stamina than pure pace and natural football ability and it suited Kissane.I love fairytales as much as anyone,but im realistic to know it rarely happens in elite sport.

The game now relies on natural instinct,kickpassing and spatil awarness,and Andrew struggles in those aeras .Turnover at a crucial time,cost Tyrone a league semifinal against dublin when they were too lateral around the middle with the ball,Connelly point came from it.

Mcnemmon of Mayo 1996 was too indecisive with the ball ,at centrefield ,hadnt the skill to kick a long ball to the forwards ,and Meath forced a turnover,and then from that ,Reilly got the winning point in that all ireland replay .
    Mcnemain was a super grafter,runner,etc etc but lacked finese and guile.

I have a fear that for all he energy,drive,and honesty and commitment,that Andrew is going to give teams turnovers due to misplaced kicks or indecisiviness when faced by two defenders as he lacks the ability to get the ball away in the tackle ,and at times he goes back to old style cork ,lateral ,static handpassing to players behind than ahead of him .People blame jamie for the turnover that cost us a goal,Andrew had a part in that too.It was a mix up with both.

Cuthbert spoke in the paper saturday ,he knew himself he wasnt up to intercounty,and same in hurling,when he got a chance in a challenge match,yet he was poor at half back and Brian Cocoran had ,to put out fires for him.He said he felt for Brian doing hes job.Surely to god,he can realise then that one man shows at midfield is not fair on walsh or gould so far and they need a partner.Cuthbhert must realise some cork lads arent up to it ,and he must be ruthless.He talks well in media,great speaker,handles the media well,but must realise that only gets you so far,Cork fans will judge him on results and results alone

THE FORWARDS
    O rourke ,and Sugrue when the u21 is over .O rourke a starter.Sugrue very much similar in running and work rate and can finish .If brian o driscoll isnt a half back requirement then he could go in there with sugrue in contention..Sugre is a work in progress,can take too much at times out of the ball,but with good coaching can develop .He has the abilty to score .

Colm o Driscoll credit due did well against Kerry ,and By O donovan stats in Echo had won five breaking balls from kickouts and had 22 plays ,lost ball just once .

Thats phenomal .He would make most panels by that standard.The reason I wouldnt have him is O Rourke is just as good ,but a scoring threat ,has versality play at half back like he has done with Cork and ul,that means defensively he is sound.O rourke can take 45s and a goal threat.He is a starter if fit.

Brian Colms brother is everything colm is but much much more.Again can play 5 or 10 ,used to tracking back and wining breaking ball at midfield like he done regulary for UCc,picked at half forward,plays deep.He is a gifted,natural footballer,superb kick passing but is a creator that Colm isnt as you see him kick a 40 yard pass that splits a defence .Now he did get a point and created 3 points sundaxm .But I think Brian is that bit better.We have a depth of cover here.

That what it comes down.Colm was good ,but Brian is so so good he is better than what good is ,Brian can be a Great player ,great player .
    Nothing against Colm and two years ago should have been on the cork team..Now we have better options. .

Collins and Doc could play hereg.Both have different qualites.It comes down to form at the end of the day,and the opponents .

As deco said,cork ,40-55 minutes needed to hold up play,slow it down.Donnacha can play that role,espiceally when you defend a lead.It had a huge effect on us when we took him off.

Kerrigan-nailed on starter.Vaughan a good replacement ,if he gets the grade 4 quad injury sorted,he got in a challenge against clare ,and he is not lost to Aussie rules.
    Goulding -Barry o driscoll .
    Colm or brian at 14.Obivously both to start it in the same line .But if one is injured we have cover as a target man.Hurley is unmarkable,however he cant score,without ball.
    He got the ball 7 times in the 1st half,got 5 from play and created a goal.Got nothing in the 2nd half.

Colm yesterday. got the ball five times,a goal and a point,created a point.It was 2009 all over again for Colm.Lethal and threatened to do real damage,yet no more ball.Then a masterstroke,the best forward ,up there,in the country we take off.At this stage he needs full games.

Hodnett and Donnacha as real options with Mac eoin a live bolter also in this corner.The forwards are interanchangable,what you want is 12 forwards .You have that.Donnacha is the oldest ,but you do need an old wise head ,around in training and on the bench.He is there for what he brings on and of the bench .Vital to this set up in the 1st year like Sean og was in Jbm 1st year .A calming presence.Hes in excellent shape physically.

Alan cadogan could make it such is the talent.,Personally i dont want him near the panel ,3 dual players is a disaster,4 would be a farce .An utter farce.Hurling needs him more .And he is hurling with the u21 in june ,as shortlived as it will be another team he is with.

I would like that panel as its very much ,in with the new,building with new types of energic players and not having baggage of past failures indivudally or with the past Cork teams.I wouldnt expect success this year but at least there is young blood building for the future .Like the Hurling last year,a lot of the old brigagde would be gone ,but Crucially we have leaders in key aeras and Donnacha and Colm and Paul and Kelly are that up front,blended with a young,arrogrant,cocky ,have no fear ,world is our oyster ,type of players in O rourke,Hurley,Cahalane,the clancys etc.

Walsh is that leader at midfield with cadogan,shields ,Jamie Sul and Loughrey the leaders in the back line.That panel ,every player has natural ability and footballing skills.And while some have work to do and are raw around the edges like deane,he is at the age where he can develop.That panel is ,a panel of footballers first and foremost ,then athletes .I would have real confidence that panel of 30,imo,i picked would win an all ireland within 2 years .The talent is there ,any problems we have are 100 per cent in our control to fix .

Management will decide if they develop and win an all ireland .There the key ,to get every inch out of them and fulfilling the massive potential there.

Walsh ,does have to improve hes kicking,however he can still get you 3 points in a game,and as a two time all star ,and young player of the year and at just 24,he can develop further .People say he is gone,and he hasnt improved since 2010.He isnt gone,but yes he hasnt moved on.That blame lay at counihan door,for making him a jack of all trades,when he was a master at one.
    Now though,he isnt helping himself if he keeps dual hope.I thought he could,but injurys are hindering him.

I would if I was management, sincerly thank each of the lads that were omitted for their,honesty ,and commitment ,there wonderful endeavour and time they gave on and of the ptich but at the end of the day Sentamality has to be put aside, as Cork's aim is to win an All Ireland within the next two years,so for that very reason and Only that Reason, the rest are left go as You can only carry 30 at the end of the day.

Its part and parcel and envitable your going to dissappoint some.Of the lads I had left out,it is natural all are going to have people saying its harsh on them .I can understand that,appreciate that and would expect that.

However none of the below I named to drop ,have consistently made a big impression in my opionion,and those that did,others have performed better ahead of them ,and it is not like in the league,compared to Killan Murphy,in hurling ,done all that was asked of him in challenges and the league and more Importantly better than two on the panel and he was still ruthlessly left out.Thats what I deem harsh ,and justifys people questioning that decision.And that same ruthless Jbm had,he didnt use to Cian Mac,Hartnett,and particulary Ellis who .struggled at u21 for Cork .JBM has beem applaued for being ruthless,Cuthbhert time is coming now to make the tough calls.

The football equivalent in comparision bar Laoire had a fair crack of the whip.Wall didnt get much game time but there is a lot ahead of him,so I can see where Cuthbert is coming from.

John mcloughlin,Andrew and Rory o Suillivan ,John Hayes ,Colm and Kevin O Driscoll ,jamie wall would be ommitted ,and Laoire would be too simply for the fact (i rate him)but he has got zero time in the league .These lads had chances,some more than others,and havent stood out and in some cases ,while had there moments certainly not better than what we have ,and isnt building towards the future .

Barry O driscoll would just make it, I would make it clear,its an extended probabtion period .He has got limited game time in hes defence .

He would get a game against Clare or limerick in the semifinal on the 21st of June in Cork.
    O driscoll would if fit have started the Dublin game ,and finish it ,set a target of a miniinum of 3 points in it,and the same work ethic as yesterday to make it .If he does that then start him Against Clare or Limerick,but expect much more against them.

And the team would be told he is the main target to feed.Give him a supply and a fair crack of the whip.Every player deserves that .Once you do that ,the rest is up to them .

Kissane is doing great with Clare and I fancy them to really test Limerick.They could beat tipp in div 4 final,one cork coach up against another.

Them or Limerick arent a threat to Cork though.That home semifinal is ideal to start the core of the team that will play kerry in july 6th ,but also blooding a few u 21s.If cork do get to the u21 final the ist week in May ,they have e a 6 week gap to the Clare game to Recharge the batterys .Clare be ideal to throw Deane/maguire or Dinneen in with Walsh for a half at home in the Pairc to start hes senior career.
    Brian o driscoll the same and Hodnett or vaughan also would benfit from game time .

Cork must dispel the nonense some of the media have,that were miles ahead of kerry ,even after the dublin defeat.

.The kerry lads in the Papers will laud this team with praise ,thats it was the best fluent display in years ,and there ahead of kerry and kerry have a huge ask etc etc .And the glowing tributes will flood in about Cork from Kerry .I can see it already.Yes it was a good display,but the oppositon werent at the races.So Cork and kerry is a 50/50 game.Anyone that thinks cork have an easy game is in for a rude awakening.

I dont buy it for a single second, that was the Real kerry .
    The 1st half they were close to us.The 2nd half wasnt a lack of talent ,more down to application,the line not being cute and a lack of intensity .
    You can be guaranteed a management team with Cian o Neill and Fitzmaurice they wont be naive again against us.

My sense is a lot of naivety with our the management and also ,the post match talk from Davis (not a knee jerk reaction,i said I wasnt impressed by hes interview after mcgrath cup final and a league game),in that they seemed as the paper said shell shocked by the 2nd half collapse.Listening to davis I get the impression he is the Seanie mcgrath equivalent in the hurling.Very happy ,and it didnt go our way ,type,i worry is he rutheless.

Cuthbert said,we couldnt get the ball beyond midfield,they were reacting faster to cork .HE says that now,yet he leaves Andrew for an hour,waits 15 mintues second half change at midfield.The change was then to move gould away from midfield .He also said cork players need more conviction and must meet challenges head on.
    That reminded me of Couinhan,woefully getting it wrong against kerry ,and then putting the blame to the team,in they as players must play whats in front of them .
    CORK had zero plan under counihan ,and it was nothing to do with players.The players that couldnt do,he picked them.

Cuthbert midfield was dominated,yet he cant see he must accept some blame ,as he picked them in most games desite not dominating.
    He wants the Cork lads to show conviction ,and meet the challenges head on.

Great words,powerful stuff,brian.Im impressed.

However brian,to expect that as management or to empower any group in any walk of life,you must practice what you preach and what you expect from your players,you must as manager lead from the front,take the bull by the horns,so to speak.

As a manager you must show Conviction in dealing with the problems at midfield and Dualism,and meet those challenges head on .He demands thats from hes player ,its a fair ask from fans,he does that as manager.

He had 3 defining moments so far imo.
    He picked a naive,management team to help him,when Gene was a great man ,that wanted a role for years with cork.

Secondly ,he has been controlled by others re dualism and ,Jbm is in control.Jbm is happy,hes three lads be free for chareville in two wks ,cork hurling v limerick .

The next defining moment is the panel he cuts for championship.
    That should tell a lot.

He. say,Cork will be different in june.To do that he musta pick a strong team,and Realise,u14,15,16 etc ,any age group ,to win a game of football you Must have a midfield.
    Its a basic concept of Football,just like Full back is ,and The Hurling management papered over cracks last year there ,but eventually got found out.,and a Great player in Shane o neill was made look poor.

Even in hes articles in The Cork examiner 2005, the day after Cork beat galway ladies ,ist all ireland football final,in october,Mark landers,in doing a report said shane o neill with ucc,hadnt yet played senior,was destined for greatness and to be a round for a very long time .A great player even then,not a Full back.

I Was going to do a report of Duhallow v imokilly but Duhallow got a walkover,as east cork men couldnt field a team,Genes Carbery beat Avondu tonight.

I heard Brolly,i do rate him,and admire him greatly as a person after the kidney donation,but that was just rubbish,that Cork had no guts,bottle heart.Thats lazy-inept crtiticsim.Ffs ,walsh ,shields,kelly ,goulding,doc,colm , won senior all irelands,and clancy ,cahalane ,and hurley ,o rourke ,collins etc won many u21 games in tralee against kerry and showed grit and bottle heart,and won Munster u 21 titles.

Problem was It like under Counihan ,we had all those same charcherstics ,we blown away ,by tactial naivety.

We played til the end.It had zero to do with Cork being cowards as said by Brolly .Cork werent cyncial , some people said.
    You cant win.Christ when tyrone were ruining the game with it,people were giving out.Now people say Cork are soft and must foul more.Reality check,there is a Black card rule

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

I've heard Aidan cut his finger making hurleys. Don't know if it is true

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭BobBobBobBob

yomtea98 wrote: »
    I've heard Aidan cut his finger making hurleys. Don't know if it is true

Yeah he cut it with a planer, very lucky he didn't lose it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭lukin

Duhallow v Imokilly abandoned last night because Imokilly couldn't field a full team. Duhallow given a walkover. What a joke, especially from a divisional side.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭BobBobBobBob

Do Duhallow get the match or will it be played on another date? A joke alright because Imokilly could have a decent team but no one is interested in training, etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭lukin

Do Duhallow get the match or will it be played on another date? A joke alright because Imokilly could have a decent team but no one is interested in training, etc...

Duhallow get the match. I think Imokilly are out now? There isn't a back door this year in senior football (I think).

lukin wrote: »
    Duhallow get the match. I think Imokilly are out now? There isn't a back door this year in senior football (I think).

Imokilly are out. Joke of a show. Imokilly should be penalised for this by having their teams from all stages of the county championship, no divisional side in senior hurling either or club teams allowed enter the county championships in hurling or football at U21 or Junior grades.

.Vaughan a good replacement ,if he gets the grade 4 quad injury sorted,he got in a challenge against clare ,and he is not lost to Aussie rules.

Why do you think there is a possibility that he may be lost to Aussie Rules? tbh I reckon if they were going to go for him they would have done so at an earlier time

• Registered Users Posts: 34,147 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I think Brolly has a point on our lack of heart if im honest.

Not trying to stir it, but our footballers go missing far too many times for my liking. In saying that looking at his twitter page, he has become a huge Dublin fan all of a sudden.

Hopefully, the Cork players will use his words as motivation for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

lukin wrote: »
    Duhallow v Imokilly abandoned last night because Imokilly couldn't field a full team. Duhallow given a walkover. What a joke, especially from a divisional side.

It is ridiculous considering it's a divisional side but I have to say, as somebody who plays on a divisional team - it's incredibly difficult to get fellas to commit when they have training & matches with their clubs for hurling & football.

The club comes first and unfortunately, alot of players show no interest in playing at the highest level of Cork football as a result of this. I will have a match a week and two training sessions with my club - just playing football. To be honest, I don't know how most fit in hurling on top of that, so turning out for a division isn't high on the priority list for players who're looking to avoid burnout so early in the year.

My divisional team had a training last week that I couldn't attend due to a club match - 5 turned up to the session - it's an indication of how tough it is to get a divisional team put together.
    slingerz wrote: »
    Imokilly are out. Joke of a show. Imokilly should be penalised for this by having their teams from all stages of the county championship, no divisional side in senior hurling either or club teams allowed enter the county championships in hurling or football at U21 or Junior grades.

Penalize the senior side that couldn't field a team by all means but what good would come from punishing their hurling, u21 & junior teams - that's completely over the top ffs

Also, I genuinely feel bad for the selectors involved, I'm sure they turned up based on feedback from a group of players who didn't turn up - it's the players have let their division down & ultimately the SFC

• Advertisement

Good analysis there Thinkstoomuch. I'd agree with 99% of it.

I think that Ken O Halloran needs a huge amount of work wrt kick-outs - obviously in conjuction with our outfield players. Cluxton has raised the bar and we are not at the races in this area.

It's a problem now trying to evaluate players with no competitive games. Kiely has looked very good in the U21's and should be a senior player in the future as will White and Maguire. The problem is when. Should we be really going for it this year or introducing some of these lads now for 2015 ?

I'd love to see more of Colm O Driscoll - he surprised me against Marc O Se in Tralee - looked a Dooher type but one swallow......

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement