Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭slingerz

D'Agger wrote: »
    It is ridiculous considering it's a divisional side but I have to say, as somebody who plays on a divisional team - it's incredibly difficult to get fellas to commit when they have training & matches with their clubs for hurling & football.

The club comes first and unfortunately, alot of players show no interest in playing at the highest level of Cork football as a result of this. I will have a match a week and two training sessions with my club - just playing football. To be honest, I don't know how most fit in hurling on top of that, so turning out for a division isn't high on the priority list for players who're looking to avoid burnout so early in the year.

My divisional team had a training last week that I couldn't attend due to a club match - 5 turned up to the session - it's an indication of how tough it is to get a divisional team put together.

Penalize the senior side that couldn't field a team by all means but what good would come from punishing their hurling, u21 & junior teams - that's completely over the top ffs

Also, I genuinely feel bad for the selectors involved, I'm sure they turned up based on feedback from a group of players who didn't turn up - it's the players have let their division down & ultimately the SFC

Over the top?

It is those clubs concerned that make up the senior divisional side. Until they treat the competition with respect then they should be penalised and the only way to do this to to impact the individual clubs affected so that they release and encourage their players to be involved

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

slingerz wrote: »
    Imokilly are out. Joke of a show. Imokilly should be penalised for this by having their teams from all stages of the county championship, no divisional side in senior hurling either or club teams allowed enter the county championships in hurling or football at U21 or Junior grades.

At least Imokilly tried to field a side. They are a no. of divisions who refuse to field a side in the senior hurling championship. Should Nemo Rangers be banned because the City won't field a hurling divisional side?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

The minor team could be better.
    A lot of suprise in the selection.
    Dls macroom beat Facthnas skib two points,in Munster semifinal yet no player on it ,yes Kelliher is overage,but they had at least one that could make it,beaten munsters finalsists got zero reprerenation.In fairness.

Yet Skib have 5 and there deserve them .Colm o driscoll,tom bushe ,and hurley all deserve to start .Ronan walsh is on the exteneded panel and alex hassets.

Ronan o mahony bantry,super talent at 3 and should be there,as hes eligble next two years.Limerick have a few u 16 hurlers etc,Paddy loughlin,Looney with cork ,as your blooding the lads for next year .

Daniel meaney I am a huge fan,huge hurling fan,however he isnt the best minor centre back in cork football.Lordan is a super half back.
    Kiely at half back should be a forward .
    John fintan daly ,is a super player,should be starting.
    And I cant believe Chiedozie
    Ogobene ,isnt on the panel,been superb for Nemo in the u21 championship and man of the match the weekend.

I saw the lad twice this year,is fast ,strong,and skilful ,but works hard .He is a real half forward,in that he covers ground and helps defence .
    Apparently he had Kevin flahive,a fine player,Cork captain tommorrow ,in real trouble.Yet hes not good enough for cork .

Cadogan got 7 points play douglas,he was marked by fulgnatti ,at full,shows again half backs arent full backs.

You cant convert 9/10 times a half to full.Full must be developed in time.The differfnce in half back play and full back is huge something Cuthbert and Jbm would want To Realise and realised it fast .

All cork u21s came through fine hearing reports,Horgan of nemo was very good ,4 from play and I would use him as a sub ahead of Harrington saturday .
    Browne of kanturk ,played Intermediate club should beon minor panel should be there and mark foley ,hurler,son, Tim yes young ,should be exteneded panel at least.A fine player ,and a big young lad with Bantry.Well up to minor,and has football.He can play centre back or centre forward.
    Aran Raw ,Ballincollig,cork development squad player should made and cian walsh hurler should be on it .
    Michael Desmond,should be there,huge talent,and a big heart ,what you want foQ kerry .

A lot more questionable decisons with the panel.MY concerns have been there from the start with ?? , hasnt been eased by that panel and? they picked.

It could be stronger.I think kerry will beat them in cork .

As regards vaughan,i have been told hes on the radar with afl.
    The rumour he played saturday in london is false,as he has grade 4 tear quad injury,and christ he be sum man to recover that fast.And also afl named trial lads,he wasnt on it it .
    A kerry lad,mayo and tyrone mayo star and colin riordain were.

Afl ,dont care re late comers etc, a lot is profile players,and vaughan profile is high.He has the ability,but again like many gaa men ,struggle make it,a lot is token afl gestures.I have no bother with o leary playing rubgy,sweetnaham,meyler and evan o connell doing soccer,there isish sports it,afl that bugs me to be frank .

Damien cahalane had trials in october in ireland ,they could go for him down the line ,like sheehan,as vaughan and cahalane are still under 23 meet theire requirements.

The minor team could be better.
    A lot of suprise in the selection.
    Dls macroom beat Facthnas skib two points,in Munster semifinal yet no player on it ,yes Kelliher is overage,but they had at least one that could make it,beaten munsters finalsists got zero reprerenation.In fairness.

Yet Skib have 5 and there deserve them .Colm o driscoll,tom bushe ,and hurley all deserve to start .Ronan walsh is on the exteneded panel and alex hassets.

Ronan o mahony bantry,super talent at 3 and should be there,as hes eligble next two years.Limerick have a few u 16 hurlers etc,Paddy loughlin,Looney with cork ,as your blooding the lads for next year .

Daniel meaney I am a huge fan,huge hurling fan,however he isnt the best minor centre back in cork football.Lordan is a super half back.
    Kiely at half back should be a forward .
    John fintan daly ,is a super player,should be starting.
    And I cant believe Chiedozie
    Ogobene ,isnt on the panel,been superb for Nemo in the u21 championship and man of the match the weekend.

I saw the lad twice this year,is fast ,strong,and skilful ,but works hard .He is a real half forward,in that he covers ground and helps defence .
    Apparently he had Kevin flahive,a fine player,Cork captain tommorrow ,in real trouble.Yet hes not good enough for cork .

Cadogan got 7 points play douglas,he was marked by fulgnatti ,at full,shows again half backs arent full backs.

You cant convert 9/10 times a half to full.Full must be developed in time.The differfnce in half back play and full back is huge something Cuthbert and Jbm would want To Realise and realised it fast .

All cork u21s came through fine hearing reports,Horgan of nemo was very good ,4 from play and I would use him as a sub ahead of Harrington saturday .
    Browne of kanturk ,played Intermediate club should beon minor panel should be there and mark foley ,hurler,son, Tim yes young ,should be exteneded panel at least.A fine player ,and a big young lad with Bantry.Well up to minor,and has football.He can play centre back or centre forward.
    Aran Raw ,Ballincollig,cork development squad player should made and cian walsh hurler should be on it .
    Michael Desmond,should be there,huge talent,and a big heart ,what you want foQ kerry .

A lot more questionable decisons with the panel.MY concerns have been there from the start with ?? , hasnt been eased by that panel and? they picked.

It could be stronger.I think kerry will beat them in cork .

As regards vaughan,i have been told hes on the radar with afl.
    The rumour he played saturday in london is false,as he has grade 4 tear quad injury,and christ he be sum man to recover that fast.And also afl named trial lads,he wasnt on it it .
    A kerry lad,mayo and tyrone mayo star and colin riordain were.

Afl ,dont care re late comers etc, a lot is profile players,and vaughan profile is high.He has the ability,but again like many gaa men ,struggle make it,a lot is token afl gestures.I have no bother with o leary playing rubgy,sweetnaham,meyler and evan o connell doing soccer,there isish sports it,afl that bugs me to be frank .

Damien cahalane had trials in october in ireland ,they could go for him down the line ,like sheehan,as vaughan and cahalane are still under 23 meet theire requirements.

There had been rumours about Vaughan previously but assumed they were all false rumours. I couldnt see him being overly interested in it anyway to be honest.

As for DLS Macroom. A lot of their stronger players this year were overage for minor in 2014 while the likes of Joe Ryan is on the U17 development panel for both hurling and football. Kevin O'Dwyer was another with the U17 development squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

I'd love to see more of Colm O Driscoll - he surprised me against Marc O Se in Tralee - looked a Dooher type but one swallow......

Not to be negative but Marc wasn't interested that day, different animal in July make no doubts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Over the top?

It is those clubs concerned that make up the senior divisional side. Until they treat the competition with respect then they should be penalised and the only way to do this to to impact the individual clubs affected so that they release and encourage their players to be involved

Your idea is to punish an entire divisions hurling, football, junior & u21 teams for a division being unable to field a senior football team - just so we're clear, I'll repeat - I believe that to be over the top. At the end of the day, whether instructed by the clubs or not, the players didn't show up. It's their decision ultimately and they chose not to turn up. It wouldn't be right to penalize an entire division across the boards as you've suggested - unless I'm picking you up wrong?

Clubs are never going to encourage players to play divisional football, the way they see it they end up missing players for training/games and the risk of injury worries selectors massively - especially with club championships starting up in the next 3/4 weeks. They don't want their best players ruled out of their biggest games of the year because they were playing for a divisional team.

Clubs don't like their best players being involved with divisional teams and their stance is unlikely to change anytime soon. Personally I think it's a shame. While the chance of injury is increased, it's because the SFC is a higher level and that's why their players should be looking to play in it - you're not going to improve as a player unless you look to play to at the highest level available to you. Fortunately I am able to take part and I enjoy it, but like I said in my previous post - this is largely because I have the luxury of playing football alone. Were I a dual player for my club, I can guarantee my interest levels would be lowered somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,147 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

You cant blame some Minor or U21 who is a Hurler training to break his arse to get on divisional team, because a senior team in a different code cant be arsed to field a team.

It would be utter stupid to punish somebody for no wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭corkrobinhood

Sugrue played a stormer for Carbery by all accounts last night,kicked 11 points,linked up play very well from what I was told,completely forgot the game was on myself,dropped the ball on that one I did :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29 kilmac14

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/ciaran-sheehan-aussie-rules-debut-northern-blues-1402775-Apr2014/?utm_source=twitter_self

Credit due,but thats not the AFl leauge ,its a second division,as that club is an affilate of Carlton.He would do well to make it there .I can't help but feel Colm O rourke was spot on,more token gestures,irish lads going over there very few make it in the Main AFLleague.I hope he makes it,its what he wants.
    How Cork could do with him at midfield.

Cuthbhert wants two players per position ,a panel of 30 he said.Now theres no point in having 30 players ,and saying you have depth,when the subs are greatly inferior to the starters.Natuarlly they wont be the same,eg only one Shields ,Hurley,Colm etc but you must have lads close to that standard

My 30 as things stand after the league and I couldnt see it changing in is as below.Its a good time to evaluate.This is based on Cadogan,walsh,and Cadogan sticking with the football.There is real cover in the majority of the positions.

Hallorahan,and hanaharan.Two great ,agile shot stoppers,would go to war with either two in the Morning.Kickouts has to be workf on,but Ronan O gara,johnny wikinsm,and dan carter wouldnt do much better yesterday as they had zero to aim for
    Shields-A starter. Galvin is an able debtuant if he is not starting

Cadogan and jamie sullivan ,both are good cover at full back .Both need to be match fit .

Cronin ,and crowley can do jobs here.Crowley is a half back ,by trade but has such natural instinct on how to defend ,is fine in the Corner.I saw him play there at club down the years when the need arose.Crowley will become one of Corks Greats .Superb attuide,match hes natural talent.
    Cadogan,shields and Jamie can cover full or corner back also.

Half back line
    Loughrey,clancys x2,Brian O Driscoll,Dorman and Cahalane give you 6 players for 3 positions.All potentially as good as each other.
    Clancy is getting a lot of crticism,hes gone back etc.
    People are unfair to the lad,he is doing a job he simply isnt suited to.
    Judge him at half back.

Kelly is fine going forward,defensively I wanted to be convinced.Dublin answered that .Barry Donovan had he stats in the echo,he had 19 possesions against Kerry and never had lost a turnover.Impressive ,and it doesnt suprise me .Wonderful vision and intelligence.If he can defend ,hes the man at centre back.And yesterday he done that.

Midfield is the problem .
    Walsh the only starter .
    Gould the best option as a partner for Walsh.However not in the O sheas,mccaulely league.
    We were struggling to find two players now not to mind cover.As I said ,no point in naming others unless they can do a job.

Sean Dinnen and Deane are the best two options for july but both have no matches at that level ,and huge ask to throw them in july ,stone cold .If we have to ,Dinneen I would feel has the temparament to pull it off ,and I would go with him as a sub .He done well against Crokes in kerry. However Deane availbitiy changes the landscape hughely.
    Kelly is an option here,played a lot at underage there for cork.However I genuinely don't believe we need him now with Deane and dinnen in the fray.Half forward or half back hes real home.Maguire must be added to the training panel,a future star.

Midfield dominated the second half. Last sunday but in truth,Maher was off and Buckley was at half forward,so that match should not be a true gaugeg
    Fitzmaurice made such baffling decisions,id question if he really wanted to win .I cant see he doing the same as that gamein july .

.There is no way yesterdays pairing will dominate on july 6th.It be a blessing in disguise to break even at least .I hope Cuthbert and co see beyound this false dawn at midfield,discard that 2nd half and reflect overall in the 7 games we played,and look at yesterday.The real truths about midfield are in those games .

I have asked myself what does Cuthbhert see in Andrew.I think it is he reminds himself to him as a player wonderfully commited,always honest,knows what the red jersey means and he performs 100 per cent to hes maxium ability every game .

Cuthbert spoke ,when he got the cork job,that the values he wanted ,was the Red jersey means something and those values are you leave nothing on the field of the play .Andrew is testament to that .

The problem is hes manxium ability is just of what we need.People have the view he ,as a late comer could be like Paudi kissane,a lad that was discarded by Morgan but then came good.The fundamental difference with Kissane was the game cork played in 2010 and the general game was more about Athletes,power,strength and stamina than pure pace and natural football ability and it suited Kissane.I love fairytales as much as anyone,but im realistic to know it rarely happens in elite sport.

The game now relies on natural instinct,kickpassing and spatil awarness,and Andrew struggles in those aeras .Turnover at a crucial time,cost Tyrone a league semifinal against dublin when they were too lateral around the middle with the ball,Connelly point came from it.

Mcnemmon of Mayo 1996 was too indecisive with the ball ,at centrefield ,hadnt the skill to kick a long ball to the forwards ,and Meath forced a turnover,and then from that ,Reilly got the winning point in that all ireland replay .
    Mcnemain was a super grafter,runner,etc etc but lacked finese and guile.

I have a fear that for all he energy,drive,and honesty and commitment,that Andrew is going to give teams turnovers due to misplaced kicks or indecisiviness when faced by two defenders as he lacks the ability to get the ball away in the tackle ,and at times he goes back to old style cork ,lateral ,static handpassing to players behind than ahead of him .People blame jamie for the turnover that cost us a goal,Andrew had a part in that too.It was a mix up with both.

Cuthbert spoke in the paper saturday ,he knew himself he wasnt up to intercounty,and same in hurling,when he got a chance in a challenge match,yet he was poor at half back and Brian Cocoran had ,to put out fires for him.He said he felt for Brian doing hes job.Surely to god,he can realise then that one man shows at midfield is not fair on walsh or gould so far and they need a partner.Cuthbhert must realise some cork lads arent up to it ,and he must be ruthless.He talks well in media,great speaker,handles the media well,but must realise that only gets you so far,Cork fans will judge him on results and results alone

THE FORWARDS
    O rourke ,and Sugrue when the u21 is over .O rourke a starter.Sugrue very much similar in running and work rate and can finish .If brian o driscoll isnt a half back requirement then he could go in there with sugrue in contention..Sugre is a work in progress,can take too much at times out of the ball,but with good coaching can develop .He has the abilty to score .

Colm o Driscoll credit due did well against Kerry ,and By O donovan stats in Echo had won five breaking balls from kickouts and had 22 plays ,lost ball just once .

Thats phenomal .He would make most panels by that standard.The reason I wouldnt have him is O Rourke is just as good ,but a scoring threat ,has versality play at half back like he has done with Cork and ul,that means defensively he is sound.O rourke can take 45s and a goal threat.He is a starter if fit.

Brian Colms brother is everything colm is but much much more.Again can play 5 or 10 ,used to tracking back and wining breaking ball at midfield like he done regulary for UCc,picked at half forward,plays deep.He is a gifted,natural footballer,superb kick passing but is a creator that Colm isnt as you see him kick a 40 yard pass that splits a defence .Now he did get a point and created 3 points sundaxm .But I think Brian is that bit better.We have a depth of cover here.

That what it comes down.Colm was good ,but Brian is so so good he is better than what good is ,Brian can be a Great player ,great player .
    Nothing against Colm and two years ago should have been on the cork team..Now we have better options. .

Collins and Doc could play hereg.Both have different qualites.It comes down to form at the end of the day,and the opponents .

As deco said,cork ,40-55 minutes needed to hold up play,slow it down.Donnacha can play that role,espiceally when you defend a lead.It had a huge effect on us when we took him off.

Kerrigan-nailed on starter.Vaughan a good replacement ,if he gets the grade 4 quad injury sorted,he got in a challenge against clare ,and he is not lost to Aussie rules.
    Goulding -Barry o driscoll .
    Colm or brian at 14.Obivously both to start it in the same line .But if one is injured we have cover as a target man.Hurley is unmarkable,however he cant score,without ball.
    He got the ball 7 times in the 1st half,got 5 from play and created a goal.Got nothing in the 2nd half.

Colm yesterday. got the ball five times,a goal and a point,created a point.It was 2009 all over again for Colm.Lethal and threatened to do real damage,yet no more ball.Then a masterstroke,the best forward ,up there,in the country we take off.At this stage he needs full games.

Hodnett and Donnacha as real options with Mac eoin a live bolter also in this corner.The forwards are interanchangable,what you want is 12 forwards .You have that.Donnacha is the oldest ,but you do need an old wise head ,around in training and on the bench.He is there for what he brings on and of the bench .Vital to this set up in the 1st year like Sean og was in Jbm 1st year .A calming presence.Hes in excellent shape physically.

Alan cadogan could make it such is the talent.,Personally i dont want him near the panel ,3 dual players is a disaster,4 would be a farce .An utter farce.Hurling needs him more .And he is hurling with the u21 in june ,as shortlived as it will be another team he is with.

I would like that panel as its very much ,in with the new,building with new types of energic players and not having baggage of past failures indivudally or with the past Cork teams.I wouldnt expect success this year but at least there is young blood building for the future .Like the Hurling last year,a lot of the old brigagde would be gone ,but Crucially we have leaders in key aeras and Donnacha and Colm and Paul and Kelly are that up front,blended with a young,arrogrant,cocky ,have no fear ,world is our oyster ,type of players in O rourke,Hurley,Cahalane,the clancys etc.

Walsh is that leader at midfield with cadogan,shields ,Jamie Sul and Loughrey the leaders in the back line.That panel ,every player has natural ability and footballing skills.And while some have work to do and are raw around the edges like deane,he is at the age where he can develop.That panel is ,a panel of footballers first and foremost ,then athletes .I would have real confidence that panel of 30,imo,i picked would win an all ireland within 2 years .The talent is there ,any problems we have are 100 per cent in our control to fix .

Management will decide if they develop and win an all ireland .There the key ,to get every inch out of them and fulfilling the massive potential there.

Walsh ,does have to improve hes kicking,however he can still get you 3 points in a game,and as a two time all star ,and young player of the year and at just 24,he can develop further .People say he is gone,and he hasnt improved since 2010.He isnt gone,but yes he hasnt moved on.That blame lay at counihan door,for making him a jack of all trades,when he was a master at one.
    Now though,he isnt helping himself if he keeps dual hope.I thought he could,but injurys are hindering him.

I would if I was management, sincerly thank each of the lads that were omitted for their,honesty ,and commitment ,there wonderful endeavour and time they gave on and of the ptich but at the end of the day Sentamality has to be put aside, as Cork's aim is to win an All Ireland within the next two years,so for that very reason and Only that Reason, the rest are left go as You can only carry 30 at the end of the day.

Its part and parcel and envitable your going to dissappoint some.Of the lads I had left out,it is natural all are going to have people saying its harsh on them .I can understand that,appreciate that and would expect that.

However none of the below I named to drop ,have consistently made a big impression in my opionion,and those that did,others have performed better ahead of them ,and it is not like in the league,compared to Killan Murphy,in hurling ,done all that was asked of him in challenges and the league and more Importantly better than two on the panel and he was still ruthlessly left out.Thats what I deem harsh ,and justifys people questioning that decision.And that same ruthless Jbm had,he didnt use to Cian Mac,Hartnett,and particulary Ellis who .struggled at u21 for Cork .JBM has beem applaued for being ruthless,Cuthbhert time is coming now to make the tough calls.

The football equivalent in comparision bar Laoire had a fair crack of the whip.Wall didnt get much game time but there is a lot ahead of him,so I can see where Cuthbert is coming from.

John mcloughlin,Andrew and Rory o Suillivan ,John Hayes ,Colm and Kevin O Driscoll ,jamie wall would be ommitted ,and Laoire would be too simply for the fact (i rate him)but he has got zero time in the league .These lads had chances,some more than others,and havent stood out and in some cases ,while had there moments certainly not better than what we have ,and isnt building towards the future .

Barry O driscoll would just make it, I would make it clear,its an extended probabtion period .He has got limited game time in hes defence .

He would get a game against Clare or limerick in the semifinal on the 21st of June in Cork.
    O driscoll would if fit have started the Dublin game ,and finish it ,set a target of a miniinum of 3 points in it,and the same work ethic as yesterday to make it .If he does that then start him Against Clare or Limerick,but expect much more against them.

And the team would be told he is the main target to feed.Give him a supply and a fair crack of the whip.Every player deserves that .Once you do that ,the rest is up to them .

Kissane is doing great with Clare and I fancy them to really test Limerick.They could beat tipp in div 4 final,one cork coach up against another.

Them or Limerick arent a threat to Cork though.That home semifinal is ideal to start the core of the team that will play kerry in july 6th ,but also blooding a few u 21s.If cork do get to the u21 final the ist week in May ,they have e a 6 week gap to the Clare game to Recharge the batterys .Clare be ideal to throw Deane/maguire or Dinneen in with Walsh for a half at home in the Pairc to start hes senior career.
    Brian o driscoll the same and Hodnett or vaughan also would benfit from game time .

Cork must dispel the nonense some of the media have,that were miles ahead of kerry ,even after the dublin defeat.

.The kerry lads in the Papers will laud this team with praise ,thats it was the best fluent display in years ,and there ahead of kerry and kerry have a huge ask etc etc .And the glowing tributes will flood in about Cork from Kerry .I can see it already.Yes it was a good display,but the oppositon werent at the races.So Cork and kerry is a 50/50 game.Anyone that thinks cork have an easy game is in for a rude awakening.

I dont buy it for a single second, that was the Real kerry .
    The 1st half they were close to us.The 2nd half wasnt a lack of talent ,more down to application,the line not being cute and a lack of intensity .
    You can be guaranteed a management team with Cian o Neill and Fitzmaurice they wont be naive again against us.

My sense is a lot of naivety with our the management and also ,the post match talk from Davis (not a knee jerk reaction,i said I wasnt impressed by hes interview after mcgrath cup final and a league game),in that they seemed as the paper said shell shocked by the 2nd half collapse.Listening to davis I get the impression he is the Seanie mcgrath equivalent in the hurling.Very happy ,and it didnt go our way ,type,i worry is he rutheless.

Cuthbert said,we couldnt get the ball beyond midfield,they were reacting faster to cork .HE says that now,yet he leaves Andrew for an hour,waits 15 mintues second half change at midfield.The change was then to move gould away from midfield .He also said cork players need more conviction and must meet challenges head on.
    That reminded me of Couinhan,woefully getting it wrong against kerry ,and then putting the blame to the team,in they as players must play whats in front of them .
    CORK had zero plan under counihan ,and it was nothing to do with players.The players that couldnt do,he picked them.

Cuthbert midfield was dominated,yet he cant see he must accept some blame ,as he picked them in most games desite not dominating.
    He wants the Cork lads to show conviction ,and meet the challenges head on.

Great words,powerful stuff,brian.Im impressed.

However brian,to expect that as management or to empower any group in any walk of life,you must practice what you preach and what you expect from your players,you must as manager lead from the front,take the bull by the horns,so to speak.

As a manager you must show Conviction in dealing with the problems at midfield and Dualism,and meet those challenges head on .He demands thats from hes player ,its a fair ask from fans,he does that as manager.

He had 3 defining moments so far imo.
    He picked a naive,management team to help him,when Gene was a great man ,that wanted a role for years with cork.

Secondly ,he has been controlled by others re dualism and ,Jbm is in control.Jbm is happy,hes three lads be free for chareville in two wks ,cork hurling v limerick .

The next defining moment is the panel he cuts for championship.
    That should tell a lot.

He. say,Cork will be different in june.To do that he musta pick a strong team,and Realise,u14,15,16 etc ,any age group ,to win a game of football you Must have a midfield.
    Its a basic concept of Football,just like Full back is ,and The Hurling management papered over cracks last year there ,but eventually got found out.,and a Great player in Shane o neill was made look poor.

Even in hes articles in The Cork examiner 2005, the day after Cork beat galway ladies ,ist all ireland football final,in october,Mark landers,in doing a report said shane o neill with ucc,hadnt yet played senior,was destined for greatness and to be a round for a very long time .A great player even then,not a Full back.

I Was going to do a report of Duhallow v imokilly but Duhallow got a walkover,as east cork men couldnt field a team,Genes Carbery beat Avondu tonight.

I heard Brolly,i do rate him,and admire him greatly as a person after the kidney donation,but that was just rubbish,that Cork had no guts,bottle heart.Thats lazy-inept crtiticsim.Ffs ,walsh ,shields,kelly ,goulding,doc,colm , won senior all irelands,and clancy ,cahalane ,and hurley ,o rourke ,collins etc won many u21 games in tralee against kerry and showed grit and bottle heart,and won Munster u 21 titles.

Problem was It like under Counihan ,we had all those same charcherstics ,we blown away ,by tactial naivety.

We played til the end.It had zero to do with Cork being cowards as said by Brolly .Cork werent cyncial , some people said.
    You cant win.Christ when tyrone were ruining the game with it,people were giving out.Now people say Cork are soft and must foul more.Reality check,there is a Black card rule

Are you serious about Dineen??? That man is good enough for Senior club football and nothing else. He was destroyed against Crokes afar as I can remember. Johnny Buckley had him in his pocket for the majority of that game. His temperament is suspect aswell as he has at times in the past struck out at other player's off the ball for no reason, ala Darragh O Se in Kerry. If Dineen was as good as everyone thinks he is then he would be on the Cork panel along time ago.... now maybe I'm wrong but I think Deane and Maguire are better options around the middle, plus maybe Clancy might be better suited to Midfield/half back much in the same mould as Cian O Sullivan for Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

When Cork and Kerry play in the years football Championship, where will it be played?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

djPSB wrote: »
    When Cork and Kerry play in the years football Championship, where will it be played?
    Definitely Pairc Uí Chaoimh, the stadium won't be redeveloped til after the Munster final, that's if the the development still goes ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭BobBobBobBob

Muskerry 2 - 13 vs 1 - 11 U.C.C

Any teams info?

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Gary Neville

Thinkstoomuch.

I am hugely impressed with your detailed knowledge of the players in Cork GAA - at all levels, football and hurling - I'm a keen supporter, I attend a lot of club and IC matches but I wouldn't even have heard of a lot of the lads you mention. Do you mind me asking how you have such detailed knowledge.

I hope you continue to post here, as I haven't seen anything like your level of info in other sites.

Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭westcork67

Thinkstoomuch.

I am hugely impressed with your detailed knowledge of the players in Cork GAA - at all levels, football and hurling - I'm a keen supporter, I attend a lot of club and IC matches but I wouldn't even have heard of a lot of the lads you mention. Do you mind me asking how you have such detailed knowledge.

I hope you continue to post here, as I haven't seen anything like your level of info in other sites.

Well done.

Agree 100% Gary - often wonder how you have the time to get this detailed level of understanding of the Cork scene Thinkstoomuch!! Your insight, although I may not agree sometimes, is very interesting

All I ask it that you slow a little on the typing as sometimes it is hard to follow your line of thinking which is a shame - or maybe I am just slow on the uptake

Keep it up!!

Muskerry 2 - 13 vs 1 - 11 U.C.C

Any teams info?

Muskerry team was
    Shane Masters - Kilmichael
    James O'Mahony - N.Aban
    Kevin Barrett - Kilmurry
    Grahm Vaughan - CNM
    John Carey - Dripsey
    Fintan Goold - Macroom
    Conor Cotter - Kilmichael
    Micheal O'Laoire - N.Aban
    Sean Kelleher - CNM
    Danny O'Connell - CNM
    Declan Ambrose - Aghinagh
    Martin O'Connor - CNM
    Daniel O'Connell - Inniscarra
    Liam Shorten - Ballingeary
    Danny Twomey - Kilmichael

Rory Buckley came on as a sub late in the game.

westcork67 wrote: »
    Agree 100% Gary - often wonder how you have the time to get this detailed level of understanding of the Cork scene Thinkstoomuch!! Your insight, although I may not agree sometimes, is very interesting

All I ask it that you slow a little on the typing as sometimes it is hard to follow your line of thinking which is a shame - or maybe I am just slow on the uptake

Keep it up!!

That wouldn'y bother me, in the slightest, Westawake - TTM puts so much great information into his posts that if he had to spend time editing and spell checking - he'd be online all day.

I wouldn't agree with all TTM's opinions but I love reading his posts. I'm using his info in discussions with my friends and they are really impressed with my new-found knowledge.

Muskerry team was
    Shane Masters - Kilmichael
    James O'Mahony - N.Aban
    Kevin Barrett - Kilmurry
    Grahm Vaughan - CNM
    John Carey - Dripsey
    Fintan Goold - Macroom
    Conor Cotter - Kilmichael
    Micheal O'Laoire - N.Aban
    Sean Kelleher - CNM
    Danny O'Connell - CNM
    Declan Ambrose - Aghinagh
    Martin O'Connor - CNM
    Daniel O'Connell - Inniscarra
    Liam Shorten - Ballingeary
    Danny Twomey - Kilmichael

Rory Buckley came on as a sub late in the game.

A few notable absentees there - Is Eoin O Mahony (Macroom) still with UCC.

I'd expect Kevin Hallissey (Eire Og) and David Gould (Macroom) to be included.
    Is Noelie available ?

Cathal Vaughan is probably still injured but was he nominated by CIT ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

Would Daniel Goulding not be playing for Muskerry?
    Noel O'Leary?

Daniel Goulding, David Goold, Sean Kiely injured
    Eoin O'Mahony in America for the summer
    Noel O'Leary was away
    Unsure if Cathal Vaughan/Kevin Hallisey was injured or if he was declared for CIT, same goes for Sean O'Connor with UCC. John O'Donoughue and John Corkery would have lined out for CIT earlier and Ciaran Sheehan is in Oz obviously.

That's a very strong team Muskerry have in fairness!

Plenty of good ball players with experience

• Advertisement

That's a very strong team Muskerry have in fairness!

Plenty of good ball players with experience

I would reckon they could be stronger still, no Grenagh rep there (Tom Kenny would be a star of the team if he made himself available) not to mind the players already mentioned. Surprised Iveleary have no rep either. Other players like John O'Callaghan Inniscarra & Paul O'Leary Blarney would get on the team too. Peter Kelleher Kilmichael will probably be available after the leaving cert if they are still in it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

djPSB wrote: »

I'm going to assume this was a freudian slip and you of course meant ''If'' Cork and Kerry play each other? :D

Looking forward to Minor game tonight. Will be heading along to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭EpicPothole

kilmac14 wrote: »
    Are you serious about Dineen??? That man is good enough for Senior club football and nothing else. He was destroyed against Crokes afar as I can remember. Johnny Buckley had him in his pocket for the majority of that game. His temperament is suspect aswell as he has at times in the past struck out at other player's off the ball for no reason, ala Darragh O Se in Kerry. If Dineen was as good as everyone thinks he is then he would be on the Cork panel along time ago.... now maybe I'm wrong but I think Deane and Maguire are better options around the middle, plus maybe Clancy might be better suited to Midfield/half back much in the same mould as Cian O Sullivan for Dublin

I've only seen him play a hand full of times but i think he might be capeable of doing whats needed. Fielding - winning primary posession. The reason he wasnt on the panel before this is he had to look after his job first and his busiest time of the year is feb to end of march.
    I was at the crokes game last year and buckley broke even against dineen. There was no one in anyones pocket.
    Didnt dineen start off playing under age for kilmac?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

As regards Dinnen im 110 per cent serious re Sean Dinneen.Hes raw,and rough,but a rough diamond.Reason he isnt on cork team is don commitment last two years,but also with Alan,and ghrahan and aidan,cork didnt need one.
    Just cause a manager overlooks a lad dont mean these not up it.Seamus harnedy ,a prime example.
    Liam doyle had to show he talents at junior for clare .

Also , a lot of kimaceba men,no dissrespect meant to you ,arent fans as he was one of them,left for the haven like o donovan of bishoptown .Your not the ist man from there,to tell me he wont make it.Right or wrong,for leaving there,im not interested in thatg
    Is he up to intercounty?all I want to know.
    In my opinion i could be wrong,I am not always right ,he is ,no doubt whatsoever.I guaratee you he was a kilmaceba man,the view down there be different.
    That happens ,shouldnt take from the lad.
    For example ,Killan hanlon is a clyda rovers man ,in blood ,playing with neighbours kilshannig,u21 cork,and Clyda wish him nothing but the best.

He was solid against crokes.
    Yes discpline is a an aera must work on,but that what you need,a tough,take no sh*t lad against mccauley,o shea.
    Darragh o se always beat Nicholas murphy,as murphy took a step back.
    Dinneen didnt.
    Good coaching ,he could make it.Much much better than Andrew .
    A rough diamond but could develop.

As regards your club,Martin collins should be starting tonight in my opinion.Again management aint the best ,and its not a true reflection on Martin he isnt starting .

As for Muskerry they have a chance ,but there lacking a bit of steel in my opinion.Seamus bourke ,young cork minor hurler ,would be a useful man on that panel.Savage worker,grafter .Vaughan has committed to CIT I believe.

Carbery,haven ,and Nemo take beating.
    Duhallow with English ,will be hard to break down .

Carbery I fancy ,with Gene in charge to go along way .Some strong lads,expierence and youth.Unlike some,they have a real spine to team,sexton at 3,canty at 6,Aoc at 9,brian o driscoll and sugrue half forwards with colm o driscoll.

Hayes is a fine club man.
    Trevor Horgan is talent that may come in to fore .They are without a real star for the future though.
    Lot carbery lads have intercounty expierence either,junior ,or minor,u21 or senior etc.

Looking forward to Minor game tonight. Will be heading along to it.
    Would love to go to it - great evening for it in Pairc Ui Rinn but I've training - not that I'm complaining, a savage day for kicking a ball :)

Would love to go to it - great evening for it in Pairc Ui Rinn but I've training - not that I'm complaining, a savage day for kicking a ball :)

kicking a ball would be a fine thing. Relentless running around in circles is a different thing entirely!!

kicking a ball would be a fine thing. Relentless running around in circles is a different thing entirely!!
    Wednesday night is football night for us - so it'll still be tough going but at least the drills will have a few O'Neills involved!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭zetecescort

Cork 6-15
    Limerick 1-7

Cork Enjoyed a pain-free passage to the semi-finals of the Electric Ireland Munster MFC as they easily overpowered Limerick at Páirc Uí Rinn this evening.

Report via the Score .ie

From the very start, Cork dominated proceedings as Michael Hurley scored a goal and a point inside the opening two minutes and by half-time they moved 4-11 to 0-2 in front of their visitors, who struggled to gain any kind of a foothold on proceedings.

With Seán O’Leary and Brian Coakley well on top at midfield, Cork were able to apply constant pressure on the Limerick defence and further goals followed from Damien Buckley, Hurley again and then Seán O’Donoghue following a brilliant team move.

In such circumstances, the second half was never likely to have much in the way of drama. Buckley got his second and Cork’s fifth goal when he finished following a delivery by Shane Kingston – scorer of five points –but Cork did not have anything like the same intensity.

Limerick found slightly more joy and scored a goal in the 41st minute through Mikey Morrissey, who battled hard all through. Cork sub Christopher Moynihan got his name on the scoresheet in the closing stages as he netted for their sixth goal and by the end there were 23 points between the teams.

Cork now wait to meet the winner of the losers’ play-off in the semi-finals.

Scorers for Cork: Michael Hurley 2-4 (0-1 free), Damien Buckley 2-2 (0-2 free), Shane Kingston 0-5, Seán O’Donoghue 1-1, Christopher Moynihan 1-0, Brian Coakley, Maidc Ó Duinnín, Séamus Ronayne 0-1 each.Scorers for Limerick: Mikey Morrissey 1-2, Richard Hayes 0-2 (frees), Tommy Childs, Gary McCarthy, Brian Hurley 0-1 each.

CORK: Colm O’Driscoll; Cian O’Donovan, Seán Powter, Kevin Flahive; Tom Bushe, Daniel Meaney, Cian Kiely; Seán O’Leary, Brian Coakley; Seán O’Donoghue, Maidc Ó Duinnín, Séamus Ronayane; Damien Buckley, Michael Hurley, Shane Kingston.

Subs: David O’Neill for Kiely, Christopher Moynihan for O’Donoghue (both half-time), Martin Collins for Meaney (42), Michael Cottrell for Hurley (46), John Mullins for Bushe (51), Anthony Kidney for O’Driscoll (53).

LIMERICK: Andy Brudair; Luke O’Connell, Seán Murphy, Stephan Brosnan; Fiachra O’Grady, Cormac Flanagan, Seán Ivess; Tommy Childs, Mark Reidy; Mikey Morrissey, Richard Hayes, Kieran Daly; Conor Burke, Killian Ryan, Shane Stack.

Subs: Dara Noonan for O’Connell (27), Brendan Stack for Murphy, David Hanley for Ivess (both half-time), Gary McCarthy for Burke (39), David Mackin for O’Grady (51), Brian Hurley for Daly (57).

Referee: Séamus Mulvihill (Kerry).

• Advertisement

I thought that was as easy as it gets.

Cork were so much better its not funny.

If you're a Limerick football fan then be worried if that the best ye have.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement