Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

He's from Cork City... no relation or connection, that im aware of, to the Illuminati..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Roscommon credit due won,but that was scandalous referring of the highest order,that was a joke of a decision,and 3 vital frees cost cork.He was a real turncoat of a ref,when cork were down by 6 he gave us everything,shocking referring.
    Always sign of a bad ref,trys to even it up then.

Made james mcgrath and martin duffy look like angels.This was a farce of a ref,jesus heaven above,I thought u21 2007 hurling v galway was awful,Worst I ever saw.
    He has not got a clue with the rule book,twice a cork man put boot to ball ground,twice a free.

KIELY WAs dragged like a rag doll no free,then roscommon get a soft free to turn what should been 4 point game to 6 points .
    At least two other woeful decisions,at crucial times then two more awful ones game was up cost us.Ist all a dubious free midfield ,they got possesion,kick it long,get a soft free .What a joke .
    yes that last free was techncially wrong,but I thought cork lad was fouled.When Roscommon had the ball,he reffed it like basket ball.Cork had the ball,it was like rubgy,do ,free for all .

Reading one post here from a cork poster at half time ,aboUt a hapeless display from management and team ,and to right of crowley and dorman as Seniors(yes he was awful,but not a 3)was a bit much .
    In fact crowley had a super 2nd half ,and he lost a lot ball in the ist half as he trying win game hes own,do too much.
    .HE LEarned in the 2nd half ,and was awesome ,and its the same Kevin Crowley just 19,U21 next year two years and superb against dublin in croker debut you dismiss.Bit early to right the lad off ,in fairness for Senior .

Management were at fault for leaving dorman at full all game and got the matchs up wrong ,but they made great changes fast in kavanagh and also histon and the character and spirit cork never wilted is credit, to team and management .

I am a stern critic myself but you must be realistic .Donal og was bang on when he said we must have more Pundits who call it as it is .Cork were much better in that 2nd half ,but crucially couldnt get momentum ,as every break went to roscommon.Crowley is young and you cant write him,of,1half of a game.Dorman ,you cant judge a lad out of position .

Cork midfield struggled in the ist half ,id agree Sham and connorzee,but I wouldnt say cleaned out ,as roscommon won breaking ball ,than a lot clean ball,particulary of fulgnatti wing,he was too slow to read breaking ball.Maguire had a fine 2nd half,,and Hanlon should stayed in there .

Not a dissaster of a loss though .At start year ,nobody expected kerry be beaten,then us beat tipp also.A munster title is a good year,beaten by a point in game ,that ref made dubious calls isnt like last week shambles .People complained ref last week,never once did I mention it,as that wasnt reason we lost.
    Today crucial calls at crucial times swung momentum there way and they were clearly tiring the last ten minutes .

Cork team and management done us proud in the year and yes this is a sickening loss ,and I aint one for moral victories but credit all year we had.The crucial point we kept kerry down.
    Dublin yes have another stream talent on the way up ,thats a worry .Roscommon be a good team few years,wouldnt see them as serious all ireland contenders do .

Credit to roscommon a very good team.Hope they beat the Dubs,Dublin be favs,wouldnt say roscommon cant win .Cavan were robbed.Dublin are very beatable.
    It be unfair for us to say if we had vaughan and Oakes today we would have won,as to be fair they had daly and kelly out so it evened it up.

Martin-fine save,couldnt fault goal.
    Kickouts okay,could be senior bv has got to wait few years.
    Cronin-best of our unit,grew in to it and could be in time a senior
    Dorman-woeful,woeful,never a 3 do,todays always likey to happen.
    When he moved to half back was good.
    Davis-poor,very suspect,had doubts all year ,was on wrong man today ,not anyhere near senior

Crowley-took way too much out the ball,learnf 2nd half and kicked well.Will be great young and u21 again.
    Never gave up.
    White -man match cork.Outstanding 21 next year ,he is being watched by cork management im told.Didnt think he be ahead rest but hes on the radar.
    Fulgnati ,was poor defending and isnt up to senior.
    Histon,i wanted the lad to start at 3 two games ago,great game .Fine defender,starter next year.Senior is doubtful
    maguire -was good in the 2nd half ,and I wouldnt say he was outplayed.He won a lot of clean ball,crucially histon won the breaks also .
    Hanlon-was doing okay ,shouldnt taken of.Corkery should have went with sugrue inside ,and kavanagh at 12.
    Brian o driscoll,great game,defence and attack,was everywhere.Made two bad mistakes,couldnt fault lad overall.A senior .

Sugre-again cork on there knees,he stood up great goal two points.Yes a bad wide to level ,but only him were beat out the gate.Won a lot broken ball.Senior potential.
    Kiely,got great point,won lot ball 2nd half,and then in full forward and should got a free in .senior potential.

Cadogan-unreal,blatantly targetted and of the ball fouled by rosconmmon,ref done nothing at all.Not even a yellow .

Great two points and awesome goal as good joe kavanagh meath 1999.Unmarkable even two men on him.Is going to be with seniors now.
    Great talent ,dual code wont work .
    What a player .unreal .Corks player season around 2-16 play.
    If cork got final would be cadbury u21 player of the year.Wont win now,but make up the shortlist.

Dan ,awesome game.Cork should used high ball more .Goal and 4.Great points,and super goal.
    Couldnt fault man ,didnt get enough ball.A senior yes.

Corkery-awful,expected more,had no hunger or want today .No way he is close or will be to senior.Even before today I did rate the lad,never as senior though.

Cork seniors are in a 3 day training camp, two overnights stays in ireland til monday.A serious 3 day camp,which is good hear ,and trying out a lot of stuff.Obivously aint going post where it is etc ,as what I gather keeping it low key ,dont want enemies example knew what there doing.Gym work ,today ,with two ptich sessions ,they got to watch u21 todays then had 2nd session.Around 34 lads in the camp ,and all 4 selectors there .
    Cuthbert was there at u21 game,then met up lads eveinig .
    Full day for them tommorrow.
    A training session monday morning ,and then homeward bound .

Walsh wasnt there today ,cahalane was.Cadogan is fine ,injury ,had a part in it.Good news Deane is taking full training and dinneen is meant to be flying in training.,and selectors are noticing it.A man just in the camp,hes flying it ,absoultely flying.

Expect him start in challenges.
    Challenges lined up in a few weeks.Kildare in cork and meath up the country .This training camp is key to cork now.As lads go to the clubs next few weeks .

Panel hasnt been cut yet .Two weeks around or 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭corkrobinhood

Didnt get to Portlaoise today,had to rely on tv for it,so cant rate the performance properly as tv only shows half the picture so to speak.

Ref was very poor on cruicial calls,he needs a refresher course on the rules in my opinion,thats not sour grapes,its simple facts based on seeing players fouling a man in posession of the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Cork midfield struggled in the ist half ,id agree Sham and connorzee,but I wouldnt say cleaned out ,as roscommon won breaking ball ,than a lot clean ball,particulary of fulgnatti wing,he was too slow to read breaking ball.Maguire had a fine 2nd half,,and Hanlon should stayed in there .

You may not say cleaned out but we clearly dominated the sector over the match. Maguire only made a couple catches in the second half, the only reason they even stood out was because he was kept so silent besides that. Corcoran bet his man, as did a barely fit Harney, and Nally was probably the best of the lot in the middle third.

I had no worries about the middle and I knew our lads could go man-to-man beat their opposite numbers.

You'll be hearing plenty about our U21 midfielders in future.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Just joking - they were both very poor - Fulignati was being cleaned out but so were most of the defenders. O Hanlon contributed nothing - we were cleaned out at MF.

Second time in a major game for Cork O Hanlon has been hauled off after 20 mins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Woeful defending - defending is as important as attacking - Cork took their goals very well but the ref cost them 4/5 pts - he was one of the most biased refs I've ever seen.

It was role reversal from the Munster final when the Tipp goals kept them in the game today the goals kept Cork in it. Trust me for how well taken the goals were no person would be happy with that type of defending and TBH there was no sign of that defending in the 1st half from Roscommon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,883 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

.....and TBH there was no sign of that defending in the 1st half from Roscommon.

That was probably because the cork forwards got little or no ball.

It was role reversal from the Munster final when the Tipp goals kept them in the game today the goals kept Cork in it. Trust me for how well taken the goals were no person would be happy with that type of defending and TBH there was no sign of that defending in the 1st half from Roscommon.

The corners couldn't handle the sheer pace on the wings but they didn't help themselves with some shocking handling.

Davy Murray will make the grade at senior and rarely does he have a bad game. Cathal Kenny was probably MotM against Sligo so he has skill too. Woeful stuff on the line for the third goal, we looked like a rabble assembling for a protest.

Limerick u16 hurlers beat clare this morning.
    They were much better than clare.

Cork are the only team ,Rock beat them so far

U16 all ireland between these two

Just one point I want to make but for all the talk re ,Sky ,and Nash motion ,and the absoulte non important to a point topics,the Glaringly woeful referring in the Country is going unnoticed and the media must bring it up more and more as its destroying the game .

I have gotten over hurling last year ,as that was just one call ,and to be fair I said then ,i say it now I didnt blame gavin then.

But today was a joke ,martin duffy 2009,james mcgrath 2007and 2013 v limk,Johnny maloney in late 70,the woeful not once but twice Derek o brien tride to shaft cork u21 2012,2014,tommy sugrue 1988(be fair just one call gave martin o connell)late free are nothing close to day.Duffy club final shambles is even nothing to today .Michael wadding 2011 u21 v tipp,so bad ist half ,Ger fity had to talk lad h time.At least he changed in the 2nd half

Today was a disgrace ,but we cant just blame the lad,the Gaa who put. Him charge are to blame ,and are picking poor guys and not putting due consideration to refs.

Like for example how in the name of jesus was a national final weeks ago be allowed be ref by a man from same club as an inter county manager from that same club.

And if its true (again if,not stating is,must get confirmed ),that that ref was ist cousin ,manager intercounty team .In fairness,conflict interest straight away.

Even take away ,relation factor,the fact they had club links ,should make them not suitable to do the same game.Surley to jesus we have enough refs to do games.

Point is due considersation isnt put in to the appointment of refs in big games.I dont go on bout refs only for good reason ,but today was Worst I ever saw to be honest.

Cavan got robbed,by a poor ref,i believe,however I dont condone there appaling post match behaviour.
    They should like cork make a formal complaint and object that lad is in charge ,another cork game,and sames goes to Derek o brien if he does cork and kerry at any level ,as he is biased towards kerry in those games .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    That was probably because the cork forwards got little or no ball.
    Ros had the ball and gave it away for the first goal, 2nd goal was a run that Ros allowed to waltz through unchallenged and the 3rd goal was a dead ball strike with defenders sleeping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

The last free was a correct call Cork supporters going on about the referee doesn't look too well TBH. Roscommon were at least five points a better team and would have been a travesty if they didn't win. Cork not as good as some here originally thought. Dublin found it tough to break down a well organised Cavan however if they played Cork they would have won comfortably as they wouldn't have given away soft goals like the rossies did.

The Best two U-21 sides in the final same as 2012.

Ah stop lad please ..you maintain your neutral just like todays ref ,yet you view purley through yellow and blue your posts.If your going to be one sided then dont act like your a neutral.
    First goal ,yeah poor marking,however a superb finish by sugrue,he kicked It in ,not a roscommon lad.
    Cadogan shrugged of challenges wasnt bad defending,pure abrasive cadogan like ,and goal was pure and total class,A goal made -than a soft goal .

Wouldnt blame the lads line ,maceoin has a bullet shot,real venom.He went it.You seem be view Cork had two soft goals ,and we lucky be in it .Like roscommon goal was a real beauty and cork couldnt do much,roscommon couldnt do much our goals .
    Meehan goal against us last year,that shocking ,from the free for cork.
    Mac eoin in comparison had real venom and that was like ronald koeoman 1991 goal v man utd,sealey got hand to it,such force couldnt stop it .

The last free was a correct call Cork supporters going on about the referee doesn't look too well TBH. Roscommon were at least five points a better team and would have been a travesty if they didn't win. Cork not as good as some here originally thought. Dublin found it tough to break down a well organised Cavan however if they played Cork they would have won comfortably as they wouldn't have given away soft goals like the rossies did.

The Best two U-21 sides in the final same as 2012.

Cork would have beaten Dublin on today's evidence. Cork's forwards and wing backs are electric.

Dublin got socked a little in that Cavan are so good defensively they can make any set of forwards look bad but I would probably favour Cork in a Cork-Dublin match.

That means nothing for us because the match-ups are different and Dublin's strengths can certainly expose our weaknesses.

Theres simply no point in even trying to debate when someone says cork cant complain with the ref

Aside from the last call,was numerous appalling callrp by him

Watched it tg4 ,again and macgerailt a kerry man sa4d was poor refferring.

Syferus wrote: »
    Cork would have beaten Dublin on today's evidence. Cork's forwards and wing backs are electric.

Dublin got socked a little in that Cavan are so good defensively they can make any set of forwards look bad but I would probably favour Cork in a Cork-Dublin match.

That means nothing for us because the match-ups are different and Dublin's strengths can certainly expose our weaknesses.

Congrats re win

I think ye can beat dublin,ye rattled them 2012 and much fitter surely now

Kelly and daly in,no reason ye cant.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Roscommon far superior team, can't win All-Irelands without a midfield and a full-back line, regardless of how good your attack is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Meehan goal against us last year,that shocking ,from the free for cork.
    Mac eoin in comparison had real venom and that was like ronald koeoman 1991 goal v man utd,sealey got hand to it,such force couldnt stop it .

Need to take off the red and white tinted glasses. Both of those goals were shocking.
    Theres simply no point in even trying to debate when someone says cork cant complain with the ref

Aside from the last call,was numerous appalling callrp by him

Watched it tg4 ,again and macgerailt a kerry man sa4d was poor refferring.

Poor ref or not the best team won and should have won by more.
    Syferus wrote: »

I don't think so. As i said Dublin would have defended better than Roscommon and McHugh,Costello,Mannion would post big scores against that Cork defence as they likely will against Ross in final.

Which would be equalled by Cadogan, McEoin, Surgue et al. Cork scored 3-12 living off scraps today. They'd have done alot better with Dublin's midfield and would have ran a Dublin defence that regularly had two or three on ones on Cavan forwards (thanks to Cavan's defensive system) ragged with even a break even in the middle. It's easy to look good in defence against a defensive team.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Gary Neville

I was at the game but taped it and watched the seconf half last night. There is no doubt that Cork played very poorly in the first half and probably deserved to be down by more than 6 pts at HT but they showed huge characted in the 2nd half.

Let's be 100% clear about this - The performance of the Ref was appalling - any fair and neutral appraisal of his decision making in the 2nd half could only conclude that he robbed Cork. Cork came back time and time again and each time, he awarded 'phantom frees' to restore Roscommon's advantage. Very fews teams whould have the guts to keep getting up from the floor.

Here's a few examples - In the last 5 minutes there was 2 clear black card offences - The Ros No 9 dragged Maguire to the ground making no attempt to play the ball and then their No 4 dragged Cagogan to the ground, again making no attempt to play the ball - exactly the scenario that Black Cards are there for.

The list of 'phantom frees' is enormous. The worst were - Sugrue did very well to win possession in the left corner and was blown for a 'foul' on the defender. McGearailt said it was not a free. The most blatant was a miss from a Ros player Smith and the Ref called it back for a 'free' - never in a million years (McGearailt 'Cic Saor Bog') - Crowley punched a high ball and the ref called it a push in the back. There was 3/4 times that a Cork player got in fast and kicked the ball away before a Ros Played could pick it up - these were examples of good defending yet frees were awarded (again McGearailt criticised the decisions) 2 Frees were taken at least 3 meters nearer the goals - BOD fouled a Ros player but his momentum and a few rolls carried him forward 3M to the 45M line - BOD was booked as he lay in the spot of th foul 48m out - the free was taken and scored 44m out - that's a gain of 4M - also the winning free - it's very clear by reference to the shadow from the stand that the Ros player narrowed his angle by 3M as he ran to take the free - making it far more scorable - should hve been retaken or hop ball (again very obvious on TV)

It's absurd to say that Ros were a better side - they were far better in the 1st half and Cork were far better in the 2nd - the difference was that Ros got 5/6 scores from frees that were definately not frees - without those, it would have been a totally different game.

As for the Cork goals being soft - absolute nonsense - Cadogan's goal was asuperb solo effort - he's been destroying defences all year and it was due to individual brilliance, not poor defence (same as the Ros goal) - Sugrue's goal was typical of this Cork Side's heart, he disposseed the Ros player brilliantly and the movement was exquisite - Maguire's pass and Surgrue's finish wee exquisite. McEoin's shot was a bullet and one of the best goals you will see at this level. All 4 goals were down to fantastic forward play and not poor defending.

Cork should have and would have deserved to win this game by 3 points and were robbed by the most disgraceful exhibition of reffing I've seen in my lifetime and I've seen bad ones before.

I'm taking nothing away from Roscommon who are a fine side but I challenge anyone to look at the 2nd half and tell me that the ref did not rob Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭North Cork Star

I think that was the worst refereeing performance I've seen at this level. It wasn't just that awful decision at the end... there was at least three or four other soft frees given in which Roscommon put over.
    I know ye are all saying Roscommon were the best team ( best of luck to them ) but Cork in fairness got the goals at the right time and dug deep to bring it back level.
    The referee ruined a good game... Terrible Pity!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭blowitupref

I was at the game but taped it and watched the seconf half last night. There is no doubt that Cork played very poorly in the first half and probably deserved to be down by more than 6 pts at HT but they showed huge characted in the 2nd half.

Let's be 100% clear about this - The performance of the Ref was appalling - any fair and neutral appraisal of his decision making in the 2nd half could only conclude that he robbed Cork. Cork came back time and time again and each time, he awarded 'phantom frees' to restore Roscommon's advantage. Very fews teams whould have the guts to keep getting up from the floor.

Here's a few examples - In the last 5 minutes there was 2 clear black card offences - The Ros No 9 dragged Maguire to the ground making no attempt to play the ball and then their No 4 dragged Cagogan to the ground, again making no attempt to play the ball - exactly the scenario that Black Cards are there for.

The list of 'phantom frees' is enormous. The worst were - Sugrue did very well to win possession in the left corner and was blown for a 'foul' on the defender. McGearailt said it was not a free. The most blatant was a miss from a Ros player Smith and the Ref called it back for a 'free' - never in a million years (McGearailt 'Cic Saor Bog') - Crowley punched a high ball and the ref called it a push in the back. There was 3/4 times that a Cork player got in fast and kicked the ball away before a Ros Played could pick it up - these were examples of good defending yet frees were awarded (again McGearailt criticised the decisions) 2 Frees were taken at least 3 meters nearer the goals - BOD fouled a Ros player but his momentum and a few rolls carried him forward 3M to the 45M line - BOD was booked as he lay in the spot of th foul 48m out - the free was taken and scored 44m out - that's a gain of 4M - also the winning free - it's very clear by reference to the shadow from the stand that the Ros player narrowed his angle by 3M as he ran to take the free - making it far more scorable - should hve been retaken or hop ball (again very obvious on TV)

It's absurd to say that Ros were a better side - they were far better in the 1st half and Cork were far better in the 2nd - the difference was that Ros got 5/6 scores from frees that were definately not frees - without those, it would have been a totally different game.

As for the Cork goals being soft - absolute nonsense - Cadogan's goal was asuperb solo effort - he's been destroying defences all year and it was due to individual brilliance, not poor defence (same as the Ros goal) - Sugrue's goal was typical of this Cork Side's heart, he disposseed the Ros player brilliantly and the movement was exquisite - Maguire's pass and Surgrue's finish wee exquisite. McEoin's shot was a bullet and one of the best goals you will see at this level. All 4 goals were down to fantastic forward play and not poor defending.

Cork should have and would have deserved to win this game by 3 points and were robbed by the most disgraceful exhibition of reffing I've seen in my lifetime and I've seen bad ones before.

I'm taking nothing away from Roscommon who are a fine side but I challenge anyone to look at the 2nd half and tell me that the ref did not rob Cork.

On another day the last Cork goal could have flew over the bar or hit one of the many defenders on the line nothing great about those type of goals IMO more hit and hope than anything else tough without it yesterday we wouldn't have the late drama. No offense but that is one of the most biased posts i have ever read on here. Cork did not deserve to win that game never mind by 3 points. Yes the ref was poor however no matter how hard it is for you or others to accept the best team won.

100 per cent agree Gary

The two lads posting otherwise are just clear as day posting to get a reaction.You hear practially nothing from them in the lead up to the game,wonderfully brave pundits now to stick the knife in to cork when there to cork after .

When a kerryman defends us surely to god it meadm we had reason to complain.

The real beauty ,he gave them advantage,they miss then gives them a free in.

Every time cork came back,momentum swung soft frees.when we had down to a point he really showed the class.

On another day the last Cork goal could have flew over the bar or hit one of the many defenders on the line nothing great about those type of goals IMO more hit and hope than anything else tough without it yesterday we wouldn't have the late drama. No offense but that is one of the most biased posts i have ever read on here. Cork did not deserve to win that game never mind by 3 points. Yes the ref was poor however no matter how hard it is for you or others to accept the best team won.

Roscommon goal could just easily blown over the bar.

I said this game would be close ,we hadnt hope winning that ref.Some lads play for a draw.
    Clear as day he wanted roscommon to win.

That ref shouldnt be left near an intercounty game again, same for the Cavan game. Let them ref away at club level where they belong. Disgraceful

Look at this nonsense... Sher on another day every Roscommon point could've gone the other side of the post and wide. Lazy clueless talk.

Connorzee wrote: »
    That ref shouldnt be left near an intercounty game again, same for the Cavan game. Let them ref away at club level where they belong. Disgraceful

Cork must make complaint on record then

Same goes with Derek o brien

If hes doing a cork kerry game Mark my words,he cost us the game.

Said before the u21 game and he worst than thought

Gaa wont do a thing.As I said a hurling league final weeks ago,intercounty had a ref with same club as manager team he reffed.
    How the jesus did that happen.
    And meant be hes ist cousin if true

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

MacGearailt is teaching in Cork, not sure what involvement he has anymore within playing/coaching

• Registered Users Posts: 34,147 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Roscommon in my opinion were better team, but ref performance was horrendous.

It was the inconsistencey which was problem.

We are all bit biased I am no different but Cork
    got nothing in that game.

• Advertisement

He is,majority kerry lads teach down here .

Spillane,o se.
    He was with cork intercounty hurlers before .He got two goals against us 99 I think.
    Kerry lads though wouldnt be all for us unless it true .
    Be interesting to get Tony leens view or cinnede or Sean ban brethnach whens hes prewving final .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement