Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

On another day the last Cork goal could have flew over the bar or hit one of the many defenders on the line nothing great about those type of goals IMO more hit and hope than anything else tough without it yesterday we wouldn't have the late drama. No offense but that is one of the most biased posts i have ever read on here. Cork did not deserve to win that game never mind by 3 points. Yes the ref was poor however no matter how hard it is for you or others to accept the best team won.

Spot on. If Ros had be leading by 4 or 5 points like they deserved to be at the time its unlikely the Cork forward have tried his luck with that last goal. Cork have some knowledgeable posters on here to read the sour grapes comments from them and not accept the best team won is disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Gary Neville

Spot on. If Ros had be leading by 4 or 5 points like they deserved to be at the time its unlikely the Cork forward have tried his luck with that last goal. Cork have some knowledgeable posters on here to read the sour grapes comments from them and not accept the best team won is disappointing.

It's very easy to make general comments like who is the better team - defending is as important as attacking and Roscommon's defending was poor by any standards.

I've backed my argument by listing out samples of the appalling decisions by the ref - if you want to argue the points with me just tell me what I've said that's incorrect.

100 per cent agree Gary

The two lads posting otherwise are just clear as day posting to get a reaction.You hear practially nothing from them in the lead up to the game,wonderfully brave pundits now to stick the knife in to cork when there to cork after .

When a kerryman defends us surely to god it meadm we had reason to complain.

The real beauty ,he gave them advantage,they miss then gives them a free in.

Every time cork came back,momentum swung soft frees.when we had down to a point he really showed the class.

As genuine GAA men, we don't begrudge Roscommon their success and I'll be rooting for them in the final. I've posted in their thread that they are some of the best GAA Supporters that I've had the pleasure to meet. I was in early and spent ages chatting with some very decent people - I was sitting next to a Ros man and he was magnanimous at HT and FT and I genuinely congratulated him and wished them well for the final.

Of course all supporters see things their way - Kerry were very annoyed over McQuillan a few years ago but I didn't think he was too bad. I'd love to look at a video of the game with Ml Curley and hear his opinions of some of the refs decisions - the irony is that the last free was one of the few he got right.

Roscommon last won the AI in 1944 - Adolf Hitler and Winston Churchill were in power - that's 70 years ago - perhaps we can understand why a Wicklow man would identify more with Roscommon than Cork but the GAA owe it to all members and supporters to ensure that the rules are applied fairly to both teams. When a ref decides the outcome of a semi of a national competition then then they must be seen to investigate - but we know that we will not hear of this again.

The Cork CB must protest if only to put the spotlight on this level of bias/incompetence - otherwise it will continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Forthright

Syferus wrote: »
    You may not say cleaned out but we clearly dominated the sector over the match. Maguire only made a couple catches in the second half, the only reason they even stood out was because he was kept so silent besides that. Corcoran bet his man, as did a barely fit Harney, and Nally was probably the best of the lot in the middle third.

I had no worries about the middle and I knew our lads could go man-to-man beat their opposite numbers.

You'll be hearing plenty about our U21 midfielders in future.

Wouldn't be so sure about that. Donie Shine your great hope for the future has only had one decent season at I.C in 2010. We haven't heard much about him since. Those 2 lads have serious potential but that's it. When I was at college, a Ros man told me the biggest problem these lads have is they think they've it made at underage and walk around Roscommon like superstars. Hopefully for Roscommon's sake they stay grounded and kick on as they shouldn't be getting what was it a 20 point hammering off Mayo like they did last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Gary cork must raise it ,hoewever theres bigger issues in referring also that must be addressed.

Fergal Horgan referee played in goal for tipp and I belive won an all ireland in goal for them.A fine keeper
    He played senior,u21 hurling also.Senior in 98 briefly.
    He is a member of knockavilla Donaskeigh club.

Brian Horgan the current senior kerry coach is ?a memeber same club tipp,he was a good hurler again played tipp minor,u21 and was a solid intercounty man .
    Kelly Is manager kerry(fine coach),but Brian is coach.

Brian and fergal played on club teams togtether,how was it practial for kerry to play carlow div hurling final with fergal Horgan referring when he knew brian the coach so well,and thats just Wrong.Im suprised no one picked up this and objected.

And I would like to ask the question,again not stating its 100 per cent ,but is Brian and fergal related??.If so thats grand, but no way should he managed that match .

Point ,i raising this,is due thought and consideration isnt put in to appointing refs and that must be looked at .

Carlow lost to kerry and lost in group game,so they were just beaten by a better team ,however no way should he managed that game .Of all the refs availble not that lad.Of course twas in thurles ,so handy out for the gaa get a local man there .
    Typical gaa ,and yesterday was a farce as that ref shouldnt get a game or must be held accountable and explain yesterday before he gets a game again but no,wont be a dicky board bout it .
    It sickening to be beaten by one sided refs.

To the posters ,say cork are whinging and that are just rubbing it in regards the ref,its a long long season,and what goes around comes around.Be interesting when there on bad end of poor referring,how they jump from there high horse.They would do well to remember that .Interesting and long ,long season to go yet .

• Advertisement

Gary cork must raise it ,hoewever theres bigger issues in referring also that must be addressed.

Fergal Horgan referee played in goal for tipp and I belive won an all ireland in goal for them.A fine keeper
    He played senior,u21 hurling also.Senior in 98 briefly.
    He is a member of knockavilla Donaskeigh club.

Brian Horgan the current senior kerry coach is ?a memeber same club tipp,he was a good hurler again played tipp minor,u21 and was a solid intercounty man .
    Kelly Is manager kerry(fine coach),but Brian is coach.

Brian and fergal played on club teams togtether,how was it practial for kerry to play carlow div hurling final with fergal Horgan referring when he knew brian the coach so well,and thats just Wrong.Im suprised no one picked up this and objected.

And I would like to ask the question,again not stating its 100 per cent ,but is Brian and fergal related??.If so thats grand, but no way should he managed that match .

Point ,i raising this,is due thought and consideration isnt put in to appointing refs and that must be looked at .

Carlow lost to kerry and lost in group game,so they were just beaten by a better team ,however no way should he managed that game .Of all the refs availble not that lad.Of course twas in thurles ,so handy out for the gaa get a local man there .
    Typical gaa ,and yesterday was a farce as that ref shouldnt get a game or must be held accountable and explain yesterday before he gets a game again but no,wont be a dicky board bout it .
    It sickening to be beaten by one sided refs.

To the posters ,say cork are whinging and that are just rubbing it in regards the ref,its a long long season,and what goes around comes around.Be interesting when there on bad end of poor referring,how they jump from there high horse.They would do well to remember that .Interesting and long ,long season to go yet .

Cavan are up in arms over a black card and a harsh free. If anyone wants to say Cork are whinging - fair enough - but deal with the facts as we have outlined.

Was there 2 black cards ignored.

Was there 2 frees taken from far closer than where the fouls occurred ?

Was McGearailt wrong when he described so many frees in the 2nd half as 'Cic soar bog' ?

Everyone is entitled to an opinion but if you have appoint of view then just back it up by quoting the facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

Hold on a second before you start throwing statements you've picked out of the sky around. There's nobody here saying Roscommon didnt deserve to win. I think we've all congratulated them and hope they beat Dublin. Having said that, the ref was a disgrace and went out of his way to make sure Roscommon won, whether they needed his help or not. He was worth 3/4 points at least, which in this case were costly for Cork. It's not sour grapes, it's not begruding, it's just stating the obvious. We'll move on, and in the bigger scheme of things have bigger fish to fry, as senior all ireland contenders. It's not the last we'll see of this Cork U21 team.

Gary that post wasnt for me was it?
    I am totally against ref ,and agree all you said

That post I had showing the ref calamity of a league
    Final

Think you mixing me up othes

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,883 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Jog on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Forthright wrote: »
    Wouldn't be so sure about that. Donie Shine your great hope for the future has only had one decent season at I.C in 2010. We haven't heard much about him since. Those 2 lads have serious potential but that's it. When I was at college, a Ros man told me the biggest problem these lads have is they think they've it made at underage and walk around Roscommon like superstars. Hopefully for Roscommon's sake they stay grounded and kick on as they shouldn't be getting what was it a 20 point hammering off Mayo like they did last year.

I stopped reading after you said Donie Shine has only had one good season.

• Advertisement

I must show the same interest to yere thread ,when ye loose.

Connorzee wrote: »
    Hold on a second before you start throwing statements you've picked out of the sky around. There's nobody here saying Roscommon didnt deserve to win. I think we've all congratulated them and hope they beat Dublin. Having said that, the ref was a disgrace and went out of his way to make sure Roscommon won, whether they needed his help or not. He was worth 3/4 points at least, which in this case were costly for Cork. It's not sour grapes, it's not begruding, it's just stating the obvious. We'll move on, and in the bigger scheme of things have bigger fish to fry, as senior all ireland contenders. It's not the last we'll see of this Cork U21 team.

Dorman,crowley,white,sugrue,dan,cads,kiely and maguire can make it

Histon maybee,next year tell a lot

Cronin likey be ahead for corner back

Dan the man ,is a real star in the making

Real hunger and drive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

100 per cent agree Gary

The two lads posting otherwise are just clear as day posting to get a reaction.You hear practially nothing from them in the lead up to the game,wonderfully brave pundits now to stick the knife in to cork when there to cork after .

Looking for a reaction? seriously i called it as i seen it. Yes i understand you guys aren't happy with the ref TBH i could count on one hand the amount of good refs around at the moment and i know losing a All Ireland semi final is tough to take especially to a side you were expecting to beat however you,Gary Neville etc above should be able to accept the best team won.

I must show the same interest to yere thread ,when ye loose.

Nothing to do with your team. Nor was the comment I was responding to really.

You seem like a genuine Cork supporter and despite your arrogance (or more accurately, ignorance) with regards our midfielders before the match I respect you and your team. It's pretty obvious I'm not trying to rub anything in or disrespect a talented Cork team.

Looking for a reaction? seriously i called it as i seen it. Yes i understand you guys aren't happy with the ref TBH i could count on one hand the amount of good refs around at the moment and i know losing a All Ireland semi final is tough to take especially to a side you were expecting to beat however you,Gary Neville etc above should be able to accept the best team won.

I never had much time to be honest for people that just jump on the bandwagon.

You should enlightened cork thread views before the match,id have more respect then your views.

It a long season,i watch Roscommon games now with added interest.

Just to note ,i have great time geuine roscommons fans.

Its a long season yet.

I never had much time to be honest for people that just jump on the bandwagon.

You should enlightened cork thread views before the match,id have more respect then your views.

It a long season,i watch Roscommon games now with added interest.

Just to note ,i have great time geuine roscommons fans.

Its a long season yet.

Neither manofwisdom nor Always Running are Roscommon supporters so I don't really know where the chip on your shoulder with regards Roscommon has came from, they're not speaking for anyone else, let alone a county.

Fair point,and I see by your photos you go lot matches,i admire respect that.I take people like you views more dignity and respect.

Its wasnt anything against cocorcan,was how good maguire was in that he had done against it Riordain and Mccauley.
    Yere lad was very good,and good frees,watch the lad next day and see more him .
    My issue is people put down Cadogan 2-16 play 4 games ,as goal he got was poor defending rather than sheer brillance.
    Like corks lauded yeare great goal,ours should be the same .

You in fairness wasnt one.

As I said best luck in final ,i hope ye win it ,and think ye will

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Just a word to make sure things don't boil over, if lads are posting in threads simply to find reactions, appropriate action will be taken

Gary that post wasnt for me was it?
    I am totally against ref ,and agree all you said

That post I had showing the ref calamity of a league
    Final

Think you mixing me up othes

No TTM - I agree with everything you've posted and your pre-match summary was superb - you should be advising some of the fellas writing for the Echo

I would say that Roscommon were the better side on the day. Roscommon are not a bad county to lose to because they are such decent people and none of them acted in a triumphant way.

There is a genuine belief in Cork - everyone I've spoken to - that this Nolan chap was the most biased and/or inept ref that we've ever experienced.

There is no way I would suggest that Roscommon were unworthy or undeserved winners - some of the interplay and passing was sublime - I hope they win the title and it would be a deserved win. I'd say Roscommon would be one of my favourite teams after Cork.

If we had got the benefit of all the soft frees, I wouldn't give a rat's arse and I'd probably accuse the other county of whinging - we all see things from our own perspective.

• Advertisement

Dorman,crowley,white,sugrue,dan,cads,kiely and maguire can make it

Histon maybee,next year tell a lot

Cronin likey be ahead for corner back

Dan the man ,is a real star in the making

Real hunger and drive

Unfortunately you were spot on about Dorman costing us - not his fault I know - we have issues at senior too in the FB line - the 2 Cronins are as good as we've produced but both are a bit small.

I'd agree about the lads you've predicted to make it - did u forget Brian O Driscoll ? I know it's the fellas that played and Vaughan is another who will make it. What about Sam Oakes ? - I haven't seen him play yet but I understand he's a great goal scorer.

I was talking to a Cork Selector before the game and Vaughan is a few weeks away - Oakes did his medial ligament - don't know what the timescale for that is but it's not near as bad as the ACL.

9 IC players from an U21 side is exceptional and 1 or 2 more might get there - If we could get Cronin the same stuff that Barceloan gave to Messi then we would definately have 10. It's nearly easier to list the fellas that won't make it but that would not be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Forthright

What has he done since 2010? Enlighten me.

I can only remember one good game since a Connacht final v Mayo which they still lost btw.

I bet you think he's flying because he scored 2-8 against London, Leitrim or New York. Donie Shine and all those fine Roscommon underage players haven't done anything for ages. If they did they wouldn't be taking hammerings off Galway and Mayo two years in a row.

My apologies gary

Yeah bod withoubt a doubt make it ,and Vaughan has it .
    Oakes be great man u21 and is next year,not sure he would make ahead 12 lads we have

Id agree Forthright ,big difference doing it against piss poor ,3rd rate teams than against top teams.
    Is yet to truly shine .Croke park is that test,and roscomon ist have to first get there to test him.They havent done it that in a while .

Aye. If only we were playing in Croke Park.

'' Cork seniors are in a 3 day training camp, two overnights stays in ireland til monday.A serious 3 day camp,which is good hear ,and trying out a lot of stuff.Obivously aint going post where it is etc ,as what I gather keeping it low key ,dont want enemies example knew what there doing.Gym work ,today ,with two ptich sessions ,they got to watch u21 todays then had 2nd session.Around 34 lads in the camp ,and all 4 selectors there .
    Cuthbert was there at u21 game,then met up lads eveinig .
    Full day for them tommorrow.
    A training session monday morning ,and then homeward bound'' - Thinkstoomuch.

Thanks for the report TTM.

Kerry are gone on a 5 day warm weather trip to Portugal - Donegal were there not long ago. Not too easy for lads that are married or dating to go away by themselves for 5 days - also fellas like Dineen (farming) would find it difficult. Also there is 6/7 hours travelling from leaving home to getting to base in Portugal and the same back - that's a lot of time wasted. Maybe Cork's idea is better and do the same thing for the May Bank Holiday Week-end (Not sure if there's club games then)

We've had a bad week for Cork Football - however, both sides have done exceptionally well and hopefully we will see the rewards further down the line. Onwards and Upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

I was at the game but taped it and watched the seconf half last night. There is no doubt that Cork played very poorly in the first half and probably deserved to be down by more than 6 pts at HT but they showed huge characted in the 2nd half.

Let's be 100% clear about this - The performance of the Ref was appalling - any fair and neutral appraisal of his decision making in the 2nd half could only conclude that he robbed Cork. Cork came back time and time again and each time, he awarded 'phantom frees' to restore Roscommon's advantage. Very fews teams whould have the guts to keep getting up from the floor.

Here's a few examples - In the last 5 minutes there was 2 clear black card offences - The Ros No 9 dragged Maguire to the ground making no attempt to play the ball and then their No 4 dragged Cagogan to the ground, again making no attempt to play the ball - exactly the scenario that Black Cards are there for.

The list of 'phantom frees' is enormous. The worst were - Sugrue did very well to win possession in the left corner and was blown for a 'foul' on the defender. McGearailt said it was not a free. The most blatant was a miss from a Ros player Smith and the Ref called it back for a 'free' - never in a million years (McGearailt 'Cic Saor Bog') - Crowley punched a high ball and the ref called it a push in the back. There was 3/4 times that a Cork player got in fast and kicked the ball away before a Ros Played could pick it up - these were examples of good defending yet frees were awarded (again McGearailt criticised the decisions) 2 Frees were taken at least 3 meters nearer the goals - BOD fouled a Ros player but his momentum and a few rolls carried him forward 3M to the 45M line - BOD was booked as he lay in the spot of th foul 48m out - the free was taken and scored 44m out - that's a gain of 4M - also the winning free - it's very clear by reference to the shadow from the stand that the Ros player narrowed his angle by 3M as he ran to take the free - making it far more scorable - should hve been retaken or hop ball (again very obvious on TV)

It's absurd to say that Ros were a better side - they were far better in the 1st half and Cork were far better in the 2nd - the difference was that Ros got 5/6 scores from frees that were definately not frees - without those, it would have been a totally different game.

As for the Cork goals being soft - absolute nonsense - Cadogan's goal was asuperb solo effort - he's been destroying defences all year and it was due to individual brilliance, not poor defence (same as the Ros goal) - Sugrue's goal was typical of this Cork Side's heart, he disposseed the Ros player brilliantly and the movement was exquisite - Maguire's pass and Surgrue's finish wee exquisite. McEoin's shot was a bullet and one of the best goals you will see at this level. All 4 goals were down to fantastic forward play and not poor defending.

Cork should have and would have deserved to win this game by 3 points and were robbed by the most disgraceful exhibition of reffing I've seen in my lifetime and I've seen bad ones before.

I'm taking nothing away from Roscommon who are a fine side but I challenge anyone to look at the 2nd half and tell me that the ref did not rob Cork.
    Ive looked at the tape online of the 2nd half - the referee did not rob Cork - that's absolute rubbish.
    There was 3/4 times that a Cork player got in fast and kicked the ball away before a Ros Played could pick it up - these were examples of good defending yet frees were awarded (again McGearailt criticised the decisions)
    No, this is not an example of good defending. If a player is attempting to pick a ball and you swing a boot near his hands it is a foul - Rule 5.17 I believe. Ignorance of the rules does not mean something is not a foul.
    Also why is McGearailt any more qualified to judge a game than anyone else?

the winning free - it's very clear by reference to the shadow from the stand that the Ros player narrowed his angle by 3M as he ran to take the free - making it far more scorable - should hve been retaken or hop ball (again very obvious on TV)
    Very selective viewing. If your going to be this technical - the goal Cadogan scored was kicked from inside the 13 m line so this should have also been a hop ball. If you looked at all of the frees from both sides - I think at least 3-4 m would have been stolen in all of them. The final free was definite - should have been awarded initially for the (accidental) trip on Smith then the Cork player picked the ball off the ground with his knees -again ignorance of the rules by a lot of people does not mean its not a foul.

For the free before that - when the ball broke to the Ros player - two cork players made contact with the player without getting near the ball - the referee was perfectly placed to see any foul here.

Ive looked at the tape online of the 2nd half - the referee did not rob Cork - that's absolute rubbish.

No, this is not an example of good defending. If a player is attempting to pick a ball and you swing a boot near his hands it is a foul - Rule 5.17 I believe. Ignorance of the rules does not mean something is not a foul.
    Also why is McGearailt any more qualified to judge a game than anyone else?

Very selective viewing. If your going to be this technical - the goal Cadogan scored was kicked from inside the 13 m line so this should have also been a hop ball. If you looked at all of the frees from both sides - I think at least 3-4 m would have been stolen in all of them. The final free was definite - should have been awarded initially for the (accidental) trip on Smith then the Cork player picked the ball off the ground with his knees -again ignorance of the rules by a lot of people does not mean its not a foul.

For the free before that - when the ball broke to the Ros player - two cork players made contact with the player without getting near the ball - the referee was perfectly placed to see any foul here.

Ah - the good old 'Absolute Rubbish' argument - always a sure fire winner.

How long is Gaelic Football a non-contact sport ?

As regards the rule about kicking the ball as an apponent is in the act of picking it up - that rule gives huge disgression to the ref and it's normally interpreted that once the player gets a hand on the ball an opponent cannot kick it - the Cork Players were perfectly entitled to kick the football at the point of time they did.

So Cadogan's goal should have been disallowed - how in the name of Jaysus can you possibly think that this kinf of statement vindicates the ref's performance ?

Selective viewing ? Are u serious ? I gave an example of a 48M free being taken from 44M (kicked from the ground) and the 3M narrowing of the angle in the match winning free and your response is that Cork stole ground in frees too. I didn't notice any example - the 2 incidents I cited were blatantly obvious. In the first one - O Driscoll took the Ros Player out and was lying in the ground where the foul took place when he got a yellow - Incredibly the ref calmly allowed the free 4M nearer - that was bizarre reffing by any standard. 2 cast iron examples of bias/incompetence - and u call it selective viewing - god give me strength.

If you think that this ref was impartial and fair then you haven't a clue about Gaelic Football. I'd say u are a WUM.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭sean mac

gary leave this fella off, once someone brings out the 'this is rubbish' argument its all over. Even macgearailt a kerryman on commentary couldnt get over this ref. Corks performance in the 2nd half was heroic, every single time they got a score roscommon got a free close to goal, the majority were at least debateable, while the 2nd last free leading to the last 'free' was an absolutely diabolical decision. The roscommon player kicked a great free and they are a fine team and the best of luck to them in the final, but cork were absolutley screwed in the second half. A terrible first half from cork where after the first 10 mins roscommon were clearly a better team, but the second half effort from cork was all you would expect from a county with our record across all grades and codes over the last 100 odd years.
    There is no requirement for anyone from roscommon to get defensive ye won and overall deserved it, but imo cork were hard done by with the last 2 frees and after getting it back to a draw deserved extra time at least, we live and move on hopefully to better times

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

Since the U21 championship is now over for Cork. Can anyone see any of the U21 players nailing down a place in the senior team this year like what happened last year with Brian Hurley? For instance I'd find it hard to believe that Cuthbert would parachute Maguire into midfield to partner Aidan Walsh, but it's possible I suppose.

• Advertisement

sean mac wrote: »
    gary leave this fella off, once someone brings out the 'this is rubbish' argument its all over. Even macgearailt a kerryman on commentary couldnt get over this ref. Corks performance in the 2nd half was heroic, every single time they got a score roscommon got a free close to goal, the majority were at least debateable, while the 2nd last free leading to the last 'free' was an absolutely diabolical decision. The roscommon player kicked a great free and they are a fine team and the best of luck to them in the final, but cork were absolutley screwed in the second half. A terrible first half from cork where after the first 10 mins roscommon were clearly a better team, but the second half effort from cork was all you would expect from a county with our record across all grades and codes over the last 100 odd years.
    There is no requirement for anyone from roscommon to get defensive ye won and overall deserved it, but imo cork were hard done by with the last 2 frees and after getting it back to a draw deserved extra time at least, we live and move on hopefully to better times
    Would totally agree

You cant get blood from a stone.Same here
    These are so biased ,you wont get reasonable debate with the referee
    All the techinchal jargon is just a cover up for what was truly disgraceful refrerring.
    These lads are looking for a reaction,you dont entertain them ,they move on.

I wish them the best in the final ,but they have tough times ahead in senior .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement