Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Bullseye500

Horse84 wrote: »
    Paudi Sull back in full contact training with the hurlers. The wford game is coming too soon for him but delighted for pebbles just over a year since the leg break.
    Any update on Luke's shoulder? Did he end up having surgery on it?

Great to see Paudie back heard that too,a horrible injury but he should come back better than ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Horse84

Blue Magic wrote: »
    Fixed

Cahalane can't start imo. Would do well to make matchday programme in all hoensty

Is that because he's dual or just that he's not up to it? I have reservations about him being able to develop there playing football but if he was committed to hurling full time I think he's exactly what we need at 3.

After a poor opening in the tipp match last day part of an injury ravaged and inexperienced defence where he prob wasn't 100% fit himself he settled very well and I believe he'd come into his own in championship. Very abrasive, commands the area (unlike McDonnell or o'neill) good under a high ball, and pacey (unlike Keane). In an area short of viable alternatives I think he'd easily make a match day squad if not start. That's just my opinion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

Fixed

Cahalane can't start imo. Would do well to make matchday programme in all hoensty

Funny that he played so well on Callinan in the Tipp game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Just my opinon,but O Neill,mcdonell are not long term viable full backs,the last 3 years have more than proved that,that the top teams will target that aera.

Out of the rest,we are in real trouble.Keane should never started at 5 against tipp,got cleaned out ,and hes confidence was really poor in the limerick game.

Thing he does so well,catching the ball,and long striking he was way off and you could cleary idenify ,he had a confidence issue.

That is key for a full back,you dont have 100 per cent confidence ,you wont be commanding and authorative.

Cahalane would be ,not a bother ,starting if he was a full time hurler.Has played many games for Barrs ,and held Pat Horgan twice,held Kevin downes 2011 u21 and callilan zero hurling done.

At football he isnt a 3,hoewever played out of poistion he never got really roasted there ,varley did trouble him in u21 final but didnt get 3 goals etb

Cahalane has temparment,is actually yard faster since hip operation,he was winning sprints training camp ul two weeks ago cork footballers had.Hes a huge competitor,even at one stage in a game ,he was against Colm o neill ,yet he didnt come of 2nd best .
    He broke even .He has that drive,and cut ,that you must have at full back.

He has hurling but isnt an out and out hurler like maccie or shane,he stays and protects the square.

.Cork are taking steps back if we havent moved to newer options at full back in the last 3 years.
    Damien wont be roasted by any full forward .The best option imo.
    He also knows when to use hes body to defend ,stand tall and upright ,and Man the square,and use hes shoulder when breaking out of defence like lohan,riche mac,rock,hickey etc.

Macdonnell and o neill dont do that defending,but yes they break tackles attacking .

I have said in the past coughlan as proven many times is not a corner forward at club,college or county,he must be in the game ,and has too much pace ,and hasnt the focus to play at 13 as ,when he doesnt get ball unlike alan cadogan he goes quiet in games.Half forward or midfield is the only option,imo
    ,as hes the type of the lad that needs to be in the thick of action ,and cant wait for the ball,he goes cold then.
    A superp hurler though and a real real sub that is potent to score.

Moylan was just okay ,in that challenge,and cadogan is a banker to start,as got 3 points of riche mac,but jbm will play lad ,as he wants keep him hurling and ,he priortised hurling even though he is with football ,so he will start ,and moylan tends to be better as a sub.

.Ellis is certain to start imo with jbm.If so I hope its midfield than half back .

Paudie was warming up in charville,has made a remarkable recovery.I didnt think he would be back this year.
    I hope he doesnt start against waterford or the next two challenges,he must be rushed as it didnt heal 100 per cent the last time.

Cronin is too predictable at half forward and you have much more balance of real pace,power and athleticsim and ball winning with lehane,harnedy and walsh .
    Walsh can also drop to midfield at times.
    Out of that trio no team can man mark ,lehane,walsh ,or harnedy as on there day any of them cant get huge scores and be a match winner,and all 3 work hard.
    Walsh was superb in charville.Touch was top notch .He was hungry for the ball.Nailed on to start in 4 weeks .

Yeah Gary its tough to pick a cork team,great way to be ,however as no body rests on their laurels.
    Its tough to drop lads,but cork must have no sentiment ,and emotion in that ultimate aim every game has got to be best 15 lads on the field,with 9 men waiting that can not only do the same job but add that bit extra as a sub ,for every game,irrespective of past plorys,clubs,age ,etc,must be picked on whats best for cork,like Cody does with KK.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭corkrobinhood

Yeah Gary its tough to pick a cork team,great way to be ,however as no body rests on their laurels.
    Its tough to drop lads,but cork must have no sentiment ,and emotion in that ultimate aim every game has got to be best 15 lads on the field,with 9 men waiting that can not only do the same job but add that bit extra as a sub ,for every game,irrespective of past plorys,clubs,age ,etc,must be picked on whats best for cork,like Cody does with KK.

Just on that point,and going back to your football selections,you mentioned Dorman as a close call,wouldnt be for me,hes bordering on Barry O Driscoll ground,one more chance and then no more,that'd be my opinion anyway.

As for the team itself,my worry is still Galvin,i'll try not to mention him again as I've done enough already and hope he proves me wrong in the next game,time will tell. What really worries me more is our complete lack of corner backs,I think you mentioned this a few weeks ago too. Jamie is struggling for fitness,will training and challenge games have brought him up to fast paced Championship level come the Kerry game if Galvin is getting cleaned out?
    The rest is as I would have picked myself,I still have a doubt about Kelly getting turned by a quick man,hes good at coming out with the ball but a lack of pace and a new tendency to foul would worry me.

Kens kickouts was more so a case of having absolutely zero plan B when we were getting cleaned out at midfield. While Dineen and Deane bring fresh hope neither are 100% tried at this level,if we fail at plan A,where does Ken go with the kickouts then? Lumping ball down on a midfield getting beaten time and again is not an option.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Have the GAA come out with the National Referees list this year yet? From what I've heard, one prominant Cork referee is not on the hurling list

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/i-deserved-better-says-axed-cork-ref-sexton-266969.html
    Panel I dont think was finalsed yet

Sexton was a good ref imo.
    Id expect lane to make the cut,had a good minor all ireland final last year but you can never tell what they do .

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Blue Magic

Funny that he played so well on Callinan in the Tipp game.

That was League in late March / early April. Different ball game in June/July/August in championship

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Nash
    McDonnell O'Neill Conor Sull
    Lorcán, Joyce , Egan
    Kearney Walsh
    Harnedy Horgan Lehane
    AC Cronin Moylan

Burke
    EC
    C Murphy
    Cahalane
    Paudi
    Luke
    Haughney
    Cian McCarthy
    Cooper
    (coughlan)

I've probably forgot a few, I'm tired. I think the back 3 is makeshift, but it's as good as we have. A good inside line can make anyone look silly at times. These lads are solid. Burke not quite top class. Agree about Nagle. Very nice player. Egan has to be a definite for Cork in my opinion. Cronin now FF or nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

One thing that would worry me regarding the hurling teams people are naming is the half forward line. The last two or three years when it's come to big games we have been too heavily reliant on just one man to win puck outs, leading us to get very predictable. Only my opinion, but I feel one of Walsh or Cronin has to play in that line so that there will be another ball winner next to Harnedy.

It's a catch 22 situation admittedly as they are probably individually best deployed in other areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

That was League in late March / early April. Different ball game in June/July/August in championship

Callinan also scored 8 pts that day with 4 from play and set up two goals, so not sure how anyone could say that Cahalane did well.

That said the protection from the HB line was woeful and the game was more akin to a training session that what we will see come championship.

Callinan also scored 8 pts that day with 4 from play and set up two goals, so not sure how anyone could say that Cahalane did well.

That said the protection from the HB line was woeful and the game was more akin to a training session that what we will see come championship.

Cahalane played him from the front in the first half and dominated the exchanges. Tipp played a one man fullforward line in the second half and with zero protection from any other of the four defenders ( Killian Burke played as a 3rd midfielder whole game) Cahalane rather wisely stayed goal side at all times and let Callinan have his fill of points. Given Callinan's tour de force against a 7 man Clare defense and Cork's shire lack of anything approaching a natural fullback it least it makes him a serious option. I suspect if his surname was anything else he'd get a lot more respect for his hurling ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Cahalane played him from the front in the first half and dominated the exchanges. Tipp played a one man fullforward line in the second half and with zero protection from any other of the four defenders ( Killian Burke played as a 3rd midfielder whole game) Cahalane rather wisely stayed goal side at all times and let Callinan have his fill of points. Given Callinan's tour de force against a 7 man Clare defense and Cork's shire lack of anything approaching a natural fullback it least it makes him a serious option. I suspect if his surname was anything else he'd get a lot more respect for his hurling ability.

Very hard to judger any FB that doesn't have a settled centre back in front of him offering him protection, you look at all the great full backs of the last 20 years and the one thing they will all have in common is a formidable centre back in front of him.

Very hard to judger any FB that doesn't have a settled centre back in front of him offering him protection, you look at all the great full backs of the last 20 years and the one thing they will all have in common is a formidable centre back in front of him.

Precisely. EO'S did a massive no. on JBM on the line in that game - Brendan Maher is a second half sweeper ect- and it got no media commentary afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Smith614

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/i-deserved-better-says-axed-cork-ref-sexton-266969.html

Id expect lane to make the cut,had a good minor all ireland final last year but you can never tell what they do .
    Sexton and Kirwan dropped from the referees panel. Sexton was a good ref but was prone to destroying matches with some ridiculous decisions. Red cards were his downfall. Referees put themselves under pressure by issuing yellows too early in match for needless stuff.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I heard about it Monday, he's definitely not happy about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

kerwin had a bad game for the clare/galway league game last month , he had both sets of supporters confused i the end , but in his defense it was the only bad game i seen him ref and it was a very niggley game , i think he is good enough to be giving a second chance

I would agree with the views regard Cronin,full forward or no where.
    He hasnt the pace for half forward or midfield or deep role he played against tippeary.

Lots of open space,that clare wouldnt allow him get ,in there game and he was made look better than he was .

Against tipp in 2012 he was superb in a one man show at half forward ,and he was double marked ,but he has lost a bit of pace.

I agree with the view by a poster,that you must have ball winning half forwards,and horgan in there for a full game ,has huge pressure on Harnedy as lehane isnt a target man.Rotate them spells in a game ,fine but Lehane and walsh musnt go in to full forward.Harnedy could .But essentially he is a centre forward.

He must have walsh with him.
    I wouldnt for that reason have walsh in midfield.
    I would allow him,as he has the mobilty and pace and engine to play a half forward ,midfield role in a game dropping back when he has to .

Its all about balance too.Two pimary ball winners with Lehane running game and a target man at full forward is ideal.
    I would not be a fan of two many target men in the middle third ,walsh at midfield,cronin at half forward and harnedy at centre for example as a trio ,as quite simply cork will become far two direct ,and players mindset have no variation and in a team like clare that crowd the middle third ,it would suit them ,to push up and crowd that middle aera up to half forward.

By having runners at midfield in kearney and o shea/lawton etc ,with Walsh who is far more mobile and faster than Cronin at 12,cork have much better balance.

Also it is better imo to have cronin a target man at 14 as he at least keeps the full back honest in that he is a danger ,and he can create and make scores .By having him in the edge of the square ,he also means Clare or teams cant double mark him ,as if they do fair enough,but then with Walsh,harnedy and lehane at half forward ,they cant be double marked.Also if Cork have Walsh,Cronin and Harndey close,there is an over reliance with them and lehane at 10 ,becomes non existant.Everything in modeartion.

You musnt lay all your eggs in the the one basket.Cork must spread out .With 6 potent forwards,Cork have you spread them out as much as possible .And as jbm refuses to play a possesion game ,and Cork is all about space,then he cant just go route one which will happen if we have 3 target men in the middle third .

The all ireland final should close the door on shane o neill at full back,as 2012 county final and 2012 galway leauge game ,at fault two goals.He isnt comfortable in that positon.
    Cahalane had a superb game v downes 2011 u21.
    And against callilan.
    The tippereary goals had less to do with cahalane more so Keane at half back was turned and overlaps created.As it was said here,he had zero protection.

It is not ideal but we cant go with options like mcdonnell or o neill that have been tried and failed.
    The problem is Cahalane playing with the haven sunday and that rules him out of the wexford challenge game with Eoin keane also with the barrs.
    He is well capable of holding Maurice Shanahan .

This is where Daulism kicks in.
    Alan Cadogan is playing with Douglas like Eoin if fit .
    Id expect Murphy and lawton to start today for cork.
    Walsh and nash are playing with Kanturk in intermediate football .
    Mccarthy gets a game I would imagine ,Walsh wont play and another game would been great for him.However unlike cahalane and eoin cadogan ,doesnt need as many games though.

Egan is a Starter ,if he turns up.He has it all.But he is very inconistent .
    Murphy held lehane ist half u21 game against Midelton last year,doing great for Ucc and superb last week.However Reidy wouldnt be a great opponent to judge him off.
    Eoin Cadogan shouldnt with no hurling done be in contention.

I am convinced Waterford will play a sweeper againtst us ,its going to be an equal test of how our manager reacts to that system as how 15 picked to play do .If they go fast tempo,score for score game ,15 v 15,they will loose.They play a system,i would be hughely worried.
    Every body knows how to beat us,close down space.

http://www.gaacork.ie/news/315371/Munster_Inter_Divisional_U16_Hurling_Tournaments

Midelon are through to the Rice cup(u14) final hurling.Cork schools are making progress.They are bound to win a harty soon.
    They play Ard Scoil who are likey to be in that final.
    Mideltons 4th rice cup in 4 years(u14)final in ,lost 2011 to Clonmel,won 2012 against Clonmel,and now this year.Lost to Thurles last year 3-15 to2-6.They beat Thurles well in the Semi this week.
    They beat Ard scoil 2012 quater final ,and dean ryan this year,generally have a good record with them.They beat them also in last year Rice cup semifinal.

There becoming the Ard scoil of Cork in a way.Ard scoil have 3 harty cups ,2 white cups (u15)and a rice cup ,and dean ryan cup the last few years.
    Midelton have a dean ryan cup,a white cup last year and rice cup 2012 ,and are bound to win a ist harty since 2006 in the next few years.

The dean ryan cup was the ist in 24 years,white last year was the in 21 years,Rice up to 2012 was the first in around 5 years .There making strides with Murphy,dwane and hurley doing great work and peter dowling (kk lad)and alwuyn kearney players have been involved also I think down there
    All credit due.County u21 and senior champions also.They could be missing a few in senior this year ,and will do well to retain what is going to be hughely competive Cork Senior Hurling championship.

What a weekend,inter divisonal hurling the weekend and the Senior football championship this weekend.I think the minor hurling panel is being reviewed again ,as in a few lads have been called up .There playing a challenge against another cork team the weekend.

http://www.eveningecho.ie/2014/05/02/senior-crown-remains-elusive-players/

A great read imo about the Cork Senior Championship.

Martin uffy didnt the Referee panel,which is welcomed yet the u21 referee Cork v Roscommon Nolan makes it.
    Kirwan not make it either .Two cork lads got left out.

I think every referee makes a misake and they are only human and its a thankless job,and they deserve huge credit for the roles they do.
    My only issuse is when they make several bad mistakes in a game ,and indeed many games .
    In the case of duffy ,its a correct call imo.
    The Echo yesterday gave great coverage to the Cork County Club champinships.
    I have always been a fan of there Friday supplement .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

So we have a challenge v Kildare on 10/11th May and v Meath a week later.

I don't think that date is correct because there is a full round of county championship fixtures on in Kildare next weekend.

That game is meant to be around the24/25th I think.
    Im not 100 per cent sure.Cork have club games next week also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Producer Ben

Anyone have any info on the Cork intermediates this year? Surely there's a panel in place at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

Aidan Walsh not playing with Kanturk this evening due to injury..

Word on the street tonight is Eddie Keher has said Kilkenny shouldnt have won today cause the 2 penalties were 'dangerous and could have seriously injured someone' and its all Anthony Nashs fault anyway.....

Or not.

Wonder how much he'll have to say tomorrow now on the subject of 'dangerous Nash style penalties',not a whole pile i'd imagine.

Langer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,882 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

As my father said previously, never mind about anything that man says. Good advice me thinks.

I would have had alot of time for him up to that point,sticking his nose in where its not wanted.

Anyway,enough about the Cats!

Anyone get to any of the county fixtures this weekend? Was working myself so missed them all,Haven had some win,6 goals is serious shooting,Vicents are never easy to play against,themselves vs Barrs in Round 2 now,should be interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 sean86

I would have had alot of time for him up to that point,sticking his nose in where its not wanted.

Anyway,enough about the Cats!

Anyone get to any of the county fixtures this weekend? Was working myself so missed them all,Haven had some win,6 goals is serious shooting,Vicents are never easy to play against,themselves vs Barrs in Round 2 now,should be interesting!

was at haven match it was like an inter county team vs a junior. haven could have had 3 or 4 more goals only for the post and crossbar. like 1 fella called it the macroom massacure. vints had fair bit of ball but couldnt get it in. and went man for man at the back leving hurley plenty of room. in fairness they never gave up. but haven didnt foot off either.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Gary Neville

sean86 wrote: »
    was at haven match it was like an inter county team vs a junior. haven could have had 3 or 4 more goals only for the post and crossbar. like 1 fella called it the macroom massacure. vints had fair bit of ball but couldnt get it in. and went man for man at the back leving hurley plenty of room. in fairness they never gave up. but haven didnt foot off either.

The Examiner report said that the 3 Cork Players, Collins, Cahalane & Hurley were outstanding, surprisingly didn't mention Dineen although I heard he was impressive but didn't reappear after HT. Hopefully it was only a muscle strain and precautionary - it would be a huge blow to him if he missed out on our Munster Semi because of injury. How did u think Dineen played, Sean ?

sean86 wrote: »

Yeah I was lisetneing to it on County sound with Paudie,they seemed to have numerous other chances.

I was at Clon vs Vicents at the same venue last year and that Vincents team was no pushover even back then,had a good strong team down the middle,Haven are a clas apart though,will take a good team to stop them.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Gary Neville

Yeah I was lisetneing to it on County sound with Paudie,they seemed to have numerous other chances.

I was at Clon vs Vicents at the same venue last year and that Vincents team was no pushover even back then,had a good strong team down the middle,Haven are a clas apart though,will take a good team to stop them.

I'd expect Vincents to be well organised and fit with Ricken in charge but it looks as if they made an error in going man for man at the back. Hurley destroyed Kerry and Dublin in recent times and you have to play a sweeper to try and nullify him.

With Cahalane, Collins, Dineen and Hurley - Haven have a very strong spine and there's a lot of other good footballers with lads like Limrick, Seanie Cahalane, Ml Hurley etc. They look set to dominate for a few years and when Crokes croak, they will give Munster a rattle too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭sean mac

NEITHER aidan wallsh or eoin cadogan were able to play with their clubs in championship over the weekend lads, both have long term niggling injuries that are not healing, for the love of god and to give cork the greatest chance of success in both codes would someone close to these 2 fellas tell them to make a call on one sport?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement