Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Gary Neville

sean mac wrote: »
    NEITHER aidan wallsh or eoin cadogan were able to play with their clubs in championship over the weekend lads, both have long term niggling injuries that are not healing, for the love of god and to give cork the greatest chance of success in both codes would someone close to these 2 fellas tell them to make a call on one sport?

AW and Cadogan are not clowns - Cadogan is studying something to do with sports/fitness and I'd be confident that both know now that it's not working.
    I can understand why they went for it - both were in CP last Sept and both believed that they were good enough to play and make a difference. Not many people win Liam Mac Medals so I don't blame them for trying this.

But realistically, they can't walk away just before the Blaa game when they have given a commitment to JBM.

Kanturk were very lucky to get a draw in the PIFC v Glanworth (after ET) and would expect AW to have made a crucial difference. Douglas won their football game. But it's not fair on their fellow club players and management.

The people that I expect to speak out are the medial and fitness people on the Senior F & H outfits. They know that the players need rest to recover fitness and form. Their prefessional integrity comes into question if they stay silent IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 sean86

The Examiner report said that the 3 Cork Players, Collins, Cahalane & Hurley were outstanding, surprisingly didn't mention Dineen although I heard he was impressive but didn't reappear after HT. Hopefully it was only a muscle strain and precautionary - it would be a huge blow to him if he missed out on our Munster Semi because of injury. How did u think Dineen played, Sean ?
    he was good in first half carryed the ball a good bit going forward. the forwards were doing so much wreck it had to see him standing out as much.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I think both lads think they can manage it given that they have jobs that they can be flexible with

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Blue Magic

AW - Hurling. Cadogan - Football. Makes sense to me all around

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

Any words on the Cork/Wex challenge at the weekend? Paudie Sull got 2 points from full forward apparently?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Cork 3-20 to to 3-17 wexford

Mccarthy
    O neill
    Maccie
    O sullivan
    Ellis
    Joyce
    Egan
    O shea
    Kearney
    Lehane
    CoopeR
    Cronin
    Pebbles
    Horgan
    Coughlan

Remarkable come back for Paudie to play a part..Get two points.
    Delighted for him.Im suprised he is back so soon.I wouldnt even consider him for waterford game.Let the lad have club games,as he's touch is paramount to he's game.I wouldn't think he is a real neccesity against Waterford .And now we have lehane,walsh,cooper,harnedy,Couglan and maybee Lawton,i hope we do away playing the lad at half forward and play him in the inside line .If cronin doesnt do it at 14,real options with paudi.

Cadogan,moylan,Paudie,Horgan and Luke when hes back ,thats serious depth in that line.How could you play Hartnett ahead of them is beyond belief.

Wexford

Fanning
    Ryan
    Hanlon
    Rossiter
    Redmond
    Le chin
    Moore
    O keeffe
    Keohe
    Macgovern
    Doran
    Morris
    Guiney
    Macdonald
    Jacob

wexford were up 8 points at the break and made a lot of changes.
    Cork brought on burke,murphy and cian maccarthy and moylan.

Ellis was meant to have been exposed by pace and lehane horgan,cooper and lawton,joyce by reports had good games from what I was told.John Horgan said Lawton done good.He's a castlematyr man and a

a huge fan of the player,but in fairness I did hear that he played well from two people.
    In the paper jbm praised him also so he could start in 4 weeks.
    If he has a good game against Dubs ,start him with Kearney .Much better than Ellis,and more bite than Haughney.

Full back unit was again taken to the cleaners apparantely.Macdonald got a goal for wexford.
    Cork were meant to be down by 10 aproxiatmelty at half time and wexford made a whole host changes.And Maccie was taken off.
    When are Cork going to learn,they are ruining the lad.Thats twice against wexford he was awful.In the league ,Guiney had him in real trouble that game.
    Moylan two goals and Cooper.Cooper a goal and 2.I have always been a huge fan of Cooper.
    A real option of the bench,and hes mobile.Only for injury would be a much better hurler .He could be a rough diamond.Cork must perist with the lad.

And Coughlan was take off again.Again like I said during the week,he is not or will never be a corner forward.
    Plain and simple ,must be in half forward line or dont start the lad.
    Imo ,you can only blame management for picking mcdonnell and coughlan out of position not once,not twice but Constanly.

In last 3 games thats 9 goals ,against tipp,limerick and wexford cork have conceded.
    The penney has got to drop ,and its a real concern,imo ,that full back issue is the same problem.

They havent solved it in there 3 year term .Shane was tried failed dismally(cost him an all star),then went back to Maccie who they should , have stayed with after kk in league final 2012,after Larkin roasted him,he needed confidence we dropped a lad ,that then was learning the trade.

THAT game Agains shows how ,thinking Maccie or Shane at 3 will work is just miles off.3 years it hasnt worked,that tell it own story .
    Cahalane wasnt avaible in managements defence ,but then that was always the case with dual players

Since then imo ,he never got confidence back at 3 and he is a player suffocated by fear and trepidation and lack of instinct at 3,and guaranteeded he will at least gave a full forward two goal chances per game.

Opponents know to target that aera.Downes ,hogan ,shanahan could clean the lad out .
    Shanahan is out for the Cork game,and Mcdonnell or shane be okay that game,the problem is cork take on clare in beilef were okay at the back.

Callian wouldnt unduly worry me,i said it all along,he isnt up to it in Real Games,need was Greatest,he proved it again in the League final.Reminds me of Naughton,unreal skill and talent,has not the temparment ,Need is Greatest,close game you want a man to stand up to get a score ,can't do it.That goal miss he had yesterday was Him in a nutshell.Big game,close game,couldnt do it.
    Yet he would destroy Mcdonnell.

In limericks case ,Downes potent threat wouldnt be enough to beat cork ,as they have other issues.
    Shefflin ,or Hogan ,on Maccie or Shane gives me nightmares if I think about it though.And they would get a constant supply of ball.
    And two excellent players are being made look poor .Thats worse even.

However ,kk ,clare ,tipp ,could do real damage to cork .In 8 games in the League ,Cats got 21 goals.
    Guaranteed ,the Greatest Manager in the Game ever,Cody knows Cork are weak at 3.Its no exaggertion but we play them ,there is a goal fest in them.Tippeary had a better full back today and they couldnt keep them below 2.
    Spillane was injured ,yet played for ucc in the last week or so.How is Eoin cadogan,with same lack games ,on it ahead of Colm.
    At least spillane can attend all training games.

I said it last year and I say it.Cork wont win an all ireland without a soild secure full back .Scoring up front or forwards with a fit squad isnt our problem.

Scoring 30 points isnt good if we concede 31 etc .You always build from the back up ,Cork havent.
    I dont believe in the philosphy ,they score ,we score more .
    Kilkenny ,clare are such goal machines they not exxagertion could get 5 against us .We are that bad at 3.Kk or clare have no problem going in a shootout with us.

Kilkenny gave a stark warning to cork imo.They were not at full intensity 100 per cent ,building a new team and style, and still beat tippeary .It doesnt matter it was extra time,they won at the end of the day .
    The hunger is back.And if They play cork I don't just fear been beaten ,i fear a big loss,as Kk ,won't after last year need any motivation ,and having never beaten Jbm in championship ,Cody wants to set that record straight.I geuinely believe Cody deep down wants to meet Cork next year,same as 2006.

I still believe there is a naivety in Cork ,that we have nothing to fear with them or Clare.People may say ,They should fear us.I geuinely with no full back and a unsettled half back line and midfield doubt they fear us.Yes of course in the media they will say they do.

Tippeary ,with there sweeper ,are becoming formiddable.They have a problem beating kilkenny ,in the last 4 years however against most other teams wont lack mental toughness to do it ,and against us wouldnt have any such problems
    Cork would struggle with tippeary with that sweeper.And they have a full back.Dublin have Kelly,Limerick have Riche,Clare have Mclinery /dillon,Kilkenny have JJ ,Tipp have Maher ,.All top full backs .

Tippeary are still refining the game plan but there adapting to the new system,and O Shea ,credit due for that .It better that tipp beat limerick ,as if we go in to the qualfiers,we would not have any problems with Limerick .

Today is the end of the league,and I think Tipp,clare ,kk have all made improvements to there team ,while we havent made as much and its a huge worry for me when we get to the big teams .

Cork have Walsh and alan Cadogan,two new talents that you could say wih certainty can make it this summer.
    Lorchan revents himself at half back,but Cork may not play or stick with him there.The rest we are unsure.That is why I believe ,that were behind the main contenders so far.Dublin,galways,limericks etc ,we wouldnt fear ,but all irelands we want at the end of the day .

However Kk,have Holden,padraig walsh,kenndey,john power,kelly etc,who had overall good leagues..
    That was my point all spring ,Other Counties are making huge improvements .When I see todays game ,and Cork having to play challenges,you can see why Kk and tipp have ideal prepartion ,for The summer and that is why I heavily criticised our league .

And why the real implications of Div 1b hurling is going to be felt as the year goes on.And of Course tippeary and the cats got huge finacial benfits from getting to the final.Everybody ,fans,players,county board,manager is a winner with success.In kilkenny,they don't buy talk we have no given right to win the league every year ,its ,its our right to win it,and we might as well win it than someone else .
    Even in transiton they still dont drop far off the standard.

We must take it seriously next year imo.
    Tipp have found ,Barrett,barry ,Niall o meara,Bubbles etc in the league.

Watching that Final made me pessimstic for the year ahead.We should beat waterford .It is going to be close.No excuses if we loose to them .Molumphy is meant to be out so they may not go a sweeper now.Shanahan also out,we shouldn't be celebrating too much if we win,as Expectation is we should be beating them ,this time .Beating Waterford won't mean we have improved from last year.With the greatest respect to them ,they are not the litmus test of our team.
    In year 3 we should beat a team in year 1 of a plan .We are likey to be without 3 lads,but waterford have injuries also ,Shanahan,mahony and Molumphy .

Beat Clare?? It is a huge ask in my honest opinion, with the problems we have at the back.That game tells us have we improved.Not waterford.
    To go in to a qualifer,we may get progress,but to beat kilkenny in a semi final in croke park seems a big ask .And yeah there is the argument a lot of Hurling has to be played.But no way will at least one of the two top teams not make a semi this year .

Your certain to have to beat Kk or Clare to win the all ireland .
    Again Kk proved taking the league seriously is the way forward .
    There new breed have a got a huge taste of success ,while our lads have a famine of it .

Kk are going to improve by at least another 15 per cent from that game.
    I know people may say dont mind what they do ,however we have got to mind what they do as there already setting the standard mixing the old and the new and winning.Cork are not top of the pile that we can say dont worry bout the top teams .

I wouldnt say Cork club football championship is a dead cert for Haven.Any team that has Morgan and Gene at the helm is dangerous and Nemo and carbery be a serious team.
    Sexton,canty ,O rourke ,hayes ,,Sugre,the 3 o driscoll,Shanahan etc,they will rattle the County .
    Nemo with Corkery as a Selector are dangerous and With Barry o Driscoll,Connolly,Masters ,Tucker o brien,the Cronins ,Fulgnatii ,they be a tough team .Interesting to see if Chiedozie Ogobene gets game time.I hear he is close to the Senior team this year.What a talent.Can't believe he didnt make the Cork minor team .Don't be suprised if he is with u21 cork panel next year.Shocking ommisson from the Cork minors imo.So good had Cork minor football captain in trouble about a month ago in a game.Leaves nothing on the ptich.Superb work ethic and has talent ,real talent.
    Very much a Sean Hayes ,Gene ,type of player.On that note,that was a woeful display by Roscommon in the u21 final,and Dublin just took the foot of the gas and were toying with them.
    And the 3 goals were just poor defending.

Dublin would beat Cork ,but Cork would have more character and resilent unlike Roscommon,who werent as good as they and many thought ,they were,including myself after beating Cork .Cork have huge resilence as shown by there games ,no way would they have been blown up.Dublin have a lot of talent ,bout 9 that team are up to senior,imo,Roscommon for a lot of that team,it is as good as it gets for them .

It showed imo,how the referee greatly hindered cork.
    Watching that game ,i recorded it ,made the Cork defeat hard to take ,as no way would dubs beat us by that much.

Cork played them in a challenge,strong dublin team in Mallow ,and ran them close.
    Thats a superb dublin team coached,video analyst and all.

That minor team is the same for Waterford this wednesday.Huge worries with that management team ,as there reading too much in to the limerick win.Expect cork to beat waterford,by 7 or more,wont be many changes if any for kerry and were in for a rude awakening.It is always a concern when management cant take games as the Limerick team as a very very poor team,they got well beaten in there other game even .That limerick team had one very good player Kieran Daly,the lad that didnt make the hurling.
    Cork were never tested at all other than that .Surley management realise Limerick were awful.
    Cork were good,but that game was over after 20 minutes.

I mentioned Michael Desmond in the all ireland c final,he was superb ,he came on a sub yesterday and turned the game for Cil nm marta in Intermediate football yesterday.Yet again ,cant make Even the Cork Panel.Yet in two big games he has stood up .Im not sure that lad can do anymore to get on the panel.Not even on the extended panel.

He has a great character within.He a tough cookie,you need them types of players to beat kerry.Hes twin sister is representing ireland in the youth olympics in china in boxing later in the year .

Yet this management team called up a Cork minor hurler recently ,he should have been on the panel from the start,he declined ,when Theres at least 6 lads that arent hear that should be .I have huge reservations with that management team in the big games.

I was at the Barrs game Saturday,and Sean kiely was magnifcent ,at midfield.Ian maguire had a good game,but Ballncoig had Miskella operting as at 3rd midfleder and he helped them.He was superb.Eoin keane at midfield ,showed he lack of pace again.
    Kiely is a real prospect down the line as is Cian.

Shields had a great game.Galvin ,at fault for the goal,but had a great game after that .Cian kiely minor had a solid game.Kelly was very good.
    Was at bishoptown game yesterday.
    Great to see Oakes play.A goal and two.Himself and vaughan were huge losses to the u21 team.
    Oakes is essentially a goal machine.
    7 last year.One now,guaranteed to be close to that number again.
    Always in the right place at the right time .

One player that stood out was Diarmuid lester,u21 hurler last year.We have plenty of half backs.
    Jamie Sullivan was good on Big Dan maceoin.Dan worked hard ,and was involved in a lot of the play.
    Dorman had a great game .Why??
    Simply cause he was played in he's best poistion at half back.Reads the game so well and has confidence there.

South tipp won the u16 Munster hurling divisonal Final beat Imokilly 2-8 to 8 points today.Wet day for Hurling in Mallow.
    Mark keohe with there two goals ,and peters was very good for them with Hyland.Imokilly midfielder,i think he was cahill ,was excellent .

Unfortunately ,no match programmes for that tournament.
    Corks teams did not have a great tournament the last 3 days .
    Still when you pull all the talent in the County together we should be fine.Other Counties,Diviosnal teams have a bulk of intercounty players.

Cork minors beat u17 hurlers the weekend in a trial game easiy enough..Shane Milner Glen had got a recall. Played,got injured and likey to be out for the Limerick game .Unlike the Cork minor footballers,Corks huge win over kerry in the hurling wont paper over some of the teams weak spots.
    Cork u21 beat kerry ,changes were made.
    There should of been changes for Wednesday .
    Alec Luttrell had a good game and meant to be fit.Lepold didnt play .

Someone asked cork Intermediate hurlers.Panel hasnt been finalised,they never are really ,at that level to be honest,as senior panel lads may drop in the fray,and u21 etc.It chops and changes

I have no fear with then,Hayes and management are solid set up and there is A Munster title at leain them.
    A solid core to work with Anthonny colm spillane ,Peter O Brien,Michael Walsh,Wall,Sugrue ,Frahil o connor if fit,Dempsey later on the year,Maybee(with minors ),desmond ,and Stephen white ,and Coleman in goal.Casey been there the last 3 years ,should be there you would think.Most of these lads would eligble to be picked.

Ross Cashman ,Eoin Dillon if he isnt abroad ,Michael o Sullivan be there in contention.Nicky kelly ,and Adrian mannix ex cork minor and senior last year should be there or abouts.Drake and Kavangah could be in real contention.
    Ellis,o shea,lawton and cooper wont be as there with the senior but if they dont play senior ,sure to drop in senior.

Vital for any eligble u21 player ,be in the set up ,and we get a run at intermediate,as they are likey to just get one game at u21.

White id say is a cert,and yes could do a job ,but there is an argument that these lads that cant make a jump to senior down the line,should we play them at that level when they had many chances at senior.

Yes we need expierence,but ex u21 lads,or lads that didnt make the cut down the years or did ,that are young etc,should be the main lads in the panel .
    They have Waterford ,up 1st very winnable.
    Then clare in a semi final.
    If we play tippeary its at home.Last year in thurles ,with a dismal cork following,the shambles of u21 two days before,we ran tipp to a point.A very good tipp team.And Cork was unlucky with a last minute goal chance when Egan made a great save .Id have no fear with our team or management ,to be honest at this level.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭slingerz

I wouldnt say Cork club football championship is a dead cert for Haven.Any team that has Morgan and Gene at the helm is dangerous and Nemo and carbery be a serious team.
    Sexton,canty ,O rourke ,hayes ,,Sugre,the 3 o driscoll,Shanahan etc,they will rattle the County .

Carbery Rangers lads cant play with Carbery as they are senior themselves so that would take O'Rourke, Hayes and Shanahan out of the equation.

Carbery will have a good team regardless with the likes of Alan O'Connor, the Bantry lads, Sugure and the O'Driscolls in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

TTM, surely a man with as much knowledge as yourself should know the difference between Carbery and Carbery Rangers?!

Despite the factual error, I agree with the point you're trying to make that Carbery are the only team who will rattle Haven this year. I think Haven are actually improving every year in the last 3. They have 3 major players up the spine of the team (Cahalane, Collins, Hurley) who are all similar age and are only getting better, so they will drive the whole team on for a few years if they get good support.

Carbery got a major boost with Deane's return from injury, so along with the O'Driscolls, Rory O'Sullivan, Canty, Mark Sugrue, they have the spine of a strong team.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭seventh7

Was at the interdivisional in Bishopstown on Saturday, a Seandun team depleted with a reduced squad ran North Tipp to a point and then ran out of steam against a very good Clare side who played some super hurling, Again the common factor in both games was not the skill level it was the difference in phyisicality as our lads did not match them in that department. Ronan Harrington was excellent in the back line but could not stem the tide. The Aherne lad scored a super point from an impossible angle but was concussed soon after and had to be taken off he was a loss. Young Power from Na Parasaigh and Nathan Walsh Douglas were very good in both games. On to Mallow on the Monday despite trying very hard the Imokilly boys were outclassed and out played by a very good South Tipp side who has beated East Clare by a solitary point in the semi final. Shane O'Driscoll Sars tried very hard but was fighting a losing battle in midfield. Jack O' Connor Sars was excellent in the corner lovely skill and pace to burn. Young cashman tried hard but was unable to get to the pace of the game he would have been better deployed closer to the goal. There is a huge gulf in class between the overall ability of the lads from Tipp and Clare and our lads. Yes we do have some exceptional talents but I dont think we have enough. There is a long year there and the sod will dry out and the U 16s will surely improve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

seventh7 wrote: »
    Was at the interdivisional in Bishopstown on Saturday, a Seandun team depleted with a reduced squad ran North Tipp to a point and then ran out of steam against a very good Clare side who played some super hurling, Again the common factor in both games was not the skill level it was the difference in phyisicality as our lads did not match them in that department. Ronan Harrington was excellent in the back line but could not stem the tide. The Aherne lad scored a super point from an impossible angle but was concussed soon after and had to be taken off he was a loss. Young Power from Na Parasaigh and Nathan Walsh Douglas were very good in both games. On to Mallow on the Monday despite trying very hard the Imokilly boys were outclassed and out played by a very good South Tipp side who has beated East Clare by a solitary point in the semi final. Shane O'Driscoll Sars tried very hard but was fighting a losing battle in midfield. Jack O' Connor Sars was excellent in the corner lovely skill and pace to burn. Young cashman tried hard but was unable to get to the pace of the game he would have been better deployed closer to the goal. There is a huge gulf in class between the overall ability of the lads from Tipp and Clare and our lads. Yes we do have some exceptional talents but I dont think we have enough. There is a long year there and the sod will dry out and the U 16s will surely improve.

Why were Seandun depleted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

Kanturk were lucky enough to get away with a draw Friday night but we had a number of players missing Walsh, O'Connor. Happy enough with a draw but management were very poor in the second half of normal time, bad sub and bad structure to the team. Thought we had it when Holland slotted at tough free over at the end of normal time.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭seventh7

Simple Seandun 15 players 5 subs, Imokilly A 34 players. Danny Gunning Na Parsaigh injured and others missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Hi Corkonians,really appreciate if ye took a quick look at and gave quick reply to the thread I have up on hurl bas sizes,thanks a million,BL.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Horse84

Aidan Walsh took a full part in training tonight anyway, he wasn't killing himself but moving freely. Great to see pebbles back out on the field

Great to hear Harrington ,and Aherne were very good in the u16 Seventh.That east clare side I saw play,and there a good side .
    But they have a lot of lads that could make Inter county.
    Im not greatly worried about the results,as like you said Seandun had a load out.

When it comes to Intercounty ,Cork in Arrabawn tournament have not just Imokilly or North cork etc,but all of cork ,and will be developed with the Rock and will be a serious team.There is defintely talent and physicality to pick a good 15.
    That driscoll lad,that i thought he was cahill was superb ,and I dont think bar the Keohe goals ,that they were that far of South tipp in the final.Weather ruined it also the game

How did Kennfick play of the Glen??not Glen the younger brother
    I presume he played??
    Was there a big crowd there horse

Cadogan I presume took no part?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Horse84

I thought there'd be a bigger crowd to be honest, lotsa smallies. They played an a v b game at the end with a bit of bite to it on one on one match ups but nothing too intense.
    I didn't see eoin at all, Alan was was in the thick of it of course looks mad for road, he had a good battle with Conor sull.
    Bud hartnett looked busy but very hard to judge those things with acres and acres of space.
    The surface of PUC looks decent after some heavy rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Why were Seandun depleted?

City clubs by and large don't care about Seandun, either underage or adult. Fairly sure the Rockies and others have refused to send players to trials and trainings in the past.

In contrast, the East Cork clubs fund Imokilly themselves.

Cork won Uninspired performance,waterford arent a great side yet had us in real real trouble at times.There well organised and resoulte,with greatest respect to them ,cork should be beating them by more.
    It wasnt even the score,it was the performance I was unhappy with.
    Limerick gave us no test,waterford did and we struggled,triple that test with Kerry .

Midfield was a problem all during the game ,and there was goals inside in Kingston,hurley and buckley but they got litle quailty supply.
    Yes it was very windy and waterford are a big physical team ,but they defeneded in numbers and Cork management was tactically poor imo.

I said I expected Cork to win ,by over 7 points.They won 1-14 to 1-8 that but To say they flattered to decieve is an understatement.
    Waterford had a penalty saved by O driscoll and had poor wides .Haven have a fine keeper there.
    This Cork management waited a whole half before making a change at midfield ,collins on,he made a difference,and that was only as cork lad got injured.

However in clear diffculty in other aeras ,we didnt make changes ,fast enough and made 3 subs in the last ten minutes .Just one tactical sub ,with 15 minutes to go ,as collins was for injury ,we made when o neill came on.Game flow reading is crucial to any teams management and im a huge advocate that in management at any level,and I wasnt impressed on that front.

Just my opinion,but a real worry to read the game flow by management.Windy weather etc,away ,isn an excuse,we have talent ,got 3 teams to Munster schools knockouts senior competiton,one in a final,won the All ireland B and C comptetitons.There is lads playing intermediate and Senior in Cork club football,above standard Waterford club football,some are,some arent on the panel.Kerry would beaten that waterford team handy imo.

I hope im wrong ,but kerry are going to beat this team imo if we dont make changes.Got to be changes for the final,im not sure there will be .The limerick game I said it,was problems even in huge win,management couldnt look within that game and see it on merit.
    Cork were poor tonight ,imo.

With a huge wind in the 2nd half Cork just won the 2nd half by a point 8 to 1-4.That penalty save was a huge turning point in the game in the ist half.We were in trouble ,if it went in .Tactics we had were a lot to be desired.

Kingston was good ,3 from play(he would be ideal as a half forward ,O Donughue had a good game,strangely taken off,kiely had a good game ,be much better as forward imo.Flahive shaky start settled well.Power was good on lyons ,waterford minor hurler .Curran and donnelly I think were waterford minor hurler also .Curran was excellent at midfield imo them.

Hurley was quiet ,got no supply as buckley,both were good when they got ball.
    Meaney is a super hurler and im a huge fan lad ,as I said before is not the best centre back in cork football .Mixed the good with the bad.

Lordan must start the next day.
    5 minutes to go bring on a lad that had awesome schools season ,i can't understand it .
    And two other lads got less than 5 minutes game time .

From here on,honeymoon is over for our management.Real tests are now.Yes if beaten by kerry ,we have a quater final ,but tough games likey.
    To me there the games that we judge them.Winning limerick and waterford,is what I expected cork team.I certainly wouldnt say they done good on those games .

If we loose the next two games ,then its been a poor season .
    Jack o connor kerry ,with a few lads won Hogan cup ,are a serious team ,even in cork at the start of julyThey beat a tipp team better than waterford ,very convinglcy in thurles .On this display,my concerns I had all year with management werent ereased.
    And we have the talent in Cork.

The Cork team were better coached last year yet beaten in a semi .
    The draw has been kind to this set up this year as ist real test ,they have the safety of a backdoor .Could loose two games and be beaten all ireland quater finalists,that looks okay on paper,when if it happens isnt that good when you view it realistically.

Killan Spillane is a huge danger to Cork,i believe ,Flahive played senior weekend douglas (tony leen is well placed to tell Jack hes strengths ,being coach Douglas)can handle him,the problem is kerry could dominate the middle third and a constant supply in to spillane,could make him unmarkable and hurley and buckley may not get enough possesion at the other end .

Not impressed by tonight .Changes should been made after limerick, they simply must be made to have any chance beating kerry .

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Gary Neville

Thanks for the report TTM.

Kerry will be red hot favourites to beat us in the Munster Minor Final. Half the team played won the AI Colleges with Dingle. You have correctly identified MF and Spillane as the 2 issues for us. Spillane got 0-10 v Tipp - 7 pts from play. The 2 MF'ers have been playing together for years and combine very well - very difficult for us to break even - we'll have to crowd it and hope for breaking ball.

Home advantage should help.

• Advertisement

There's the Jack factor also with kerry.Whether your a fan of the man or not,you cant ignore he is a superb,modern,innonative ,manager and he is able to read a game in transit with a superb record past and present in the game.Our manager is proven,but very much in the past .

.This kerry team are superbly organised and yes underage puts huge pressure on them ,however they won a hogan cup and beaten last year by Cork,there mindset is going to be right ,they want to beat cork after last yeartand in fact I think playing cork suits them takes pressure of them,at home they would have huge expecation.Kerry love playing in Cork .

You see people can make excuses with last night,the weather ,lads had club game etc it affected us.To me thats simply looking outside than within.Cork u21s had awful prepartion with injuries ,and club games however they still won a munster title against two good teams ,as they had a great set up .Sean hayes did say club games had an effect in hes report to the County board ,however great he mentioned the Dolan referring as a huge huge ,turning point in the game .That was the main reason we lost.I said last December I fancied Cork u21 were our best chance of a Munster title ,minors could struggle.I did the day before that game with so many injuries and saw Derek o brien as ref,think we would,come up short ,but testatment how good our set up was,we beat kerry in kerry.
    Yes roscommon beat us,but management did make changes in the 2nd half and looking back if we had a good ref,could have won that game .

Cork performance was poor last night against a waterford team that aren't great,shipped 4 goals to clare and two to tipp.We had hurley,kingston and buckley inside our line

.It may seem neagative ,but I don't believe in saying all is fine if its not.The tipp team that was beaten by kerry ,convincgly beat that waterford team by 4 points.
    The management were poor on the sideline imo.As I said ,some lads should started last night didnt ,and worse got no real game time as subs when they needed to get games.If we have to bring lordan for example ,what benfit does cameo do him last night for kerry game.

That kerry team ,will this or next year win an all ireland with jack,our lads wont with this management imo
    I said this last autumn when they got the job.Dorgan is a fine coach,rest I have doubts at the top level.
    Our minor hurlers with frank flannery had a fine coach last year year ,the manager didnt compliment that set up.

.We have got 3 teams out group ,Munster A Senior football in Corn Mhuiri ,won b and c all irelands ,lot of our lads are playing elite club level ,as good as kerry are ,he should believe we would win ,pick the best 15 in a county size of Cork .That B competion that Colaise Cholm won can't be underestimated,as They beat Mount bellew with 3 current galway minors,and a minor last year,4 intercounty lads in total in the Semifinal.

Beat St aodhans with 4 lads on dublin minor panel and current u21 hurler.That B competiton wasnt far of A standard.

I said it then ,and again,its not for a lack talent for Cork we could loose.
    If cork picked best 15 men we could win.I have huge faith in the talent within the county.
    Sean hayes said in the Munster final pre talk,if cork played to there potential,against much favoured Tipp team(best ever u21 side prepared)we would win .He believed in he's panel.

, Michael Desmond ,needs to be brought in to the panel ,Exactly what you want in the engine room to beat kerry.
    Outstanding against eire og as a game changing sub in intermediate game.
    Lordan must start at centre back .
    Against Colm mannion a Galway Intercounty lad and Kavanagh a fine player ,st aodhans ,he held hes own in Croke Park.

Yes kavanagh got early goal start of that game,lordan settled and held him to just point from play in the rest of the game .The Ballincollig lads kiely ,O Donughue and Lordan have huge confidence from winning the B title ,imperative that there key men against kerry .O Donughe is pivotal to Cork .A great presence.Wouldnt have thought the lad as panel member not to mind starter for Minor Hurlers at the start of the year ,easy to see why landers has him there now though.A great player for big games.

Kingston to half forward ,with Ogebene ,Kiely in the forwards would be some changes for examples .

Leavin Kingston inside in the corner,he simply wont get enough ball against kerry imo.Midfield and half forwards must be strong .
    Thats not to say our current lads are bad players ,no not at all,but you must have a certain type of forward and lads that can score to beat kerry ,and imo I dont believe ,last night team is our strongest team .

Midfield is a huge aera to be won,and crowding that aera is an option but its not just put bodies in there,you must have right men in there.
    Desmond is a superb ball winner but a real leader,he takes the game to opponents.A tough player and superb kicker from placed ball or the hand .

Donoughe at centre forward(once they dont take lad off)can play as 3rd midfielder(plays there hurling).
    By having kingston there and ogbene in half forwards you have real pace,hard running,lads that will cover and help defence,great engines and can score also .And there ideal win breaking ball .And these lads have a huge hunger and appettie ,something Jack mentioned with hes team last night ,he instilled in to them .

Mickey Ned last year was manager in kerry .Great standing in the game in the past and was charge Cork schools All Ireland C title ,credit due .
    However Kerry have such a huge difference in manager ,with Mickey Ned and Jack now .Jack is miles ahead as a coach .Hes school team was shocked by facthnas earlier in the year ,however ,so he will be keen to have kerry lads tuned in .
    Kerry when they win the minor all ireland at end two year term,should have jack in charge u21 team.Now they would be a serious team.
    The Cork team to have any chance has got to pick best 15 lads to start in july .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭slingerz

I wouldnt be as emphatic about Micheal Desmond as you but he certainly would be one of the more powerful players in that age group. Was center field for Muskerry U21s this year in the Duhallow tournament

Mallow beat Douglas u14 hurling league tonight easily enough.However a lot of the Douglas lads played with Rochestown in u14 football win against St.Colmans yesterday Cork final so twas a tough ask to perform again.
    Russell ,of Douglas played well as did sheehan of mallow and Sullivan for mallow at full back.The mallow full back is a strong physical tall player ,and at just 14 ,has physicallty.Hurled very well also .

Watching that game ,at just that level again showed even for youngsters how hard it is to do dual codes.It is doable to an extent at underage.Senior it isnt .
    Talking to douglas fans,one worry they have isnt talent next few years,its lot there lads at senior play both codes .
    A dual club ,it was interesting to note they werent huge fans of dualism at Intercounty for Cork.It seems to be a hot topic,now championship around the Corner.

Mark o connor is meant to be training ,after hes hip operation.A fine hurler .Big loss he was to Rochestown in Harty Semi final.

Cork v Dublin hurling challenge game is gaelic in grounds Sunday .Anything like same challenge two years ago should be physical to say the least .

Good club games this weekend,clyda against O Donovan rossa and Mallow v grenagh ,two brothers ,Dorgans coaching both teams in oppositon .
    Mallow have Harkin,O connor,Loughrey,intercounty players ,Grenagh with Bourk and Kenny also.Pa herihly on Cork u21 hurling panel with Mallow also .Mallow have talented indivudals,but Grenagh are an ultimate team,play for each other and are a good side.
    Be close game ,i wouldnt be suprised Grenagh won though.

Clyda v skib.Id fancy Clyda .English has them well set up and they are like Grenagh,dogged and resoulte and play as a team After a long season last year ,it remains to be seen if they will be fresh in the ist game .

Just to elaborte further regards our minor team in football.On the waterford thread here,a post by a poster(he goes lot of games so I would take hes post as accurate) said Waterford had just started training the last month.That really made last night cork display more of a worry imo.

Our team have been together close together 6 monts or so ,yet our display we looked like a team ,with just 1 months training as Sulliuvan said our lads passing,etc was sloppy in hes post match interview.
    and loose play and handling errors
    and was correct.

However im always espiceally with young lads are baffled when managers lay the blame soley at players feet,in that imo,These are young lads ,and must be guided etc,and surley its reflective of management in equal measure if they are poor .
    Its beyond belief manager thought and acknowledhed we were poor,that they just made one sub up to 45h minute(one sub was for injury).And waterford were sharper and crisper in some things they done with compared to Cork less prepartion .Cork have better players,so to me ,managenent must take a share of the blame for a team that struggled at times and but for O driscoll could have had two more goals conceded.If a team is making miskes,you make subs,add a new intensity,energy tempo etc.Cork were badly in need for that injection of freshness last night imo.

People said waterford were very strong team .With the greatest respect,they had around 5 very good lads,wouldnt say this team was Excellent,lot made of 6 goal rout v clare,they conceded 4,yet bar an early cork goal we couldnt raise a flag,yet Tipp done got two against them .

People have this view ,Great were guaranteed two extra games.Yes fair point,but again that was Mininium expectation I had when the draw was made last autumn as we got a soft draw.If We hadnt ,with soft side draw got to the final ,it would have been dissaster .We have nothing to get carried away with yet.

Kerry ,Jack had them hungry in hes interview afterwards and slick and full of movement and cohesion apparently could have won by more .

Just saw ,Waterford thread ,Legendary Ken Mcgrath was seriously ill ,never knew it.
    I wish him the best in hes recovery and He is a player I loved to watch.Had it all.
    Never forget hes super catch 2004 in that Epic game ,to win game waterford v cork.Brian Cocorcan was huge fan of Ken.

I would say a lot will go to the fundraiser in june ,and id say they would be and hopefully a big crowd crowd from cork go support him.Id expect a large east cork crowd and a few former Cork stars.He deserves it.
    Cody ,and Davy ,fair play for getting involved in the game .These men are passionate ultmiate warriors,on the field,but Are sound people of the ptich .Really down to earth men.
    Wonderful to see.

Dublin in a Hurling challenge imo is a great test as Physicality be there for Cork in our last warm up game before Championship.Appartenly the same type of game,and the same venue as in 2012 -challenge ,made both managements akin to this game as Cork had a great workout up to their Tipp game then ,and Dublin in the lead up to there Kilkenny game then in 2012.

.Harnedy is my fear,that he doesnt get injured,these games are risky.Harnedy played last time we played them 2012,challenge in lead up to Tipp game ,3 intervals 25 minutes each it was,cork had bout 9 regulars won 3-21 to 1-25.Moylan got a goal or two.
    Harnedy(fringe lad extended panel then) had a good game ,but it was a bruising affair ,and Harnedy got stuck in,ryan dywer got a broken noise .

Harnedy is such a pivotal lad ,i wouldnt play him in that game ,as we know what he can bring and he is always up game ,last thing you want is a nasty injury picked up here.He is of Utmost importance to Cork ,and yes every lad has a chance of injury just Harnedy we dont need to play him .Id be starting Cahalane,Joyce,Lorchan at 5,Lawton 8 ,walsh at 12,lads that must get games.I wouldnt dream risking Paudie Sullivan in a game like that (physicality written all over it)so early come back .Murphy at 7.They need to stick with lad in one aera,last week he sub at half forward apparently .
    Cadogan should start,Cooper,Jamie Should start at 10.Cronin at 14.
    Moylan at 15.
    Lads like Shane o neill,Egan,Harnedy,Horgan ,Lehane ,i wouldnt start ,as there starter in champ ,and I wouldnt play them here.Maybee subs.We know what the can do.They don't need a full game.

Kearney would play ,as we need him in a game new midfield partner,to get a bond,telephaty ,understanding.

Lorchan,joyce need games together same reason. ALAN Cadogan,needs games.conor sul needs games after injury.

Burke ,after poor limerick game,had good game last week apartently ,needs game.Lawton needs a game.
    Id like to see Nash,burke,Cahalane,sullivan,lorchan,joyce,murphy,/maccie get half at corner or half back,Kearney,lawton(full game,if no Desire,or Appetite ist half,o shea is on.Tell lawton ,a starting place hes,if performs,dangle that carrot)at midfield.

Forwards would be
    Coughlan-must get confidence up last week out position
    Cooper-would love dubs game
    Walsh
    Cadogan
    Cronin
    Moylan

A balance to that team with lads vying for places and expierence in team ,and a energy that brings a hunger to those in it ,new lads ,that should keep team honest and least be competive.If they want ,could bring in lehanes etc,but judge game ist,if it all hell for leather ,you dont play Key key men like lehane ,harnedy,horgan etc.Let it fizzle out a bit before you bring then if even you do in to the game .
    A good game for Haughney and bud to get game time,in both don't lack skill,its appettie and want in physical games is there question marks.Play them here .

Challenge matches like these ,can be careless with tackles at times .That game was then in 2012 behind closed doors the last time and with no crowd ,it always concern me ,as challenges can be borderline extreme.As players sense no atmsophere,understandably raise tempo big hit to get there team up for the game ,and the knowlege they likey get away with a challenge that can can often be over the top with aggression .Both teams could do that .So cork must be wise . I Wouldnt play all my strongest team at the start.

Cork played tipp ,and behind closed doors ist real game in 2014 ,and Spillane had a broken nose ,didnt last long .Only a few minutes.
    Its like being stuck between a rock and hard place.You got to play lads and want intensity,you pray god no one gets injured,and intensity doesnt translate to wreckless agression on both teams.

Dublin I would say are going to pick a strong team ,as that midweek game they played then two years ago had a strong team ,lads left work etc to make it.Keaney,dwywer,brady,tracey played.
    It set cork up nicely for that Tipp game two weeks later im 2012,even though we lost in championship we had a close game .

Under jbm as far as im aware(stand to be corrected)cork played Dubs ,once in a league 2012 croker,won by a point,dubs missed last mintue free,then that 2012 june challenge in gaelic grounds won two points,2013 didnt play leauge but championship we did ,and we won -and in the 2014 league we did not play each other.

Thats a total of 3 games under jbm -we played against Dublin and won all .We are Unbeaten against them under jbm reigme I think.
    Doesnt matter that much , for sundays game,but i'm hoping dwMublin are told this and have a real Desire,will to beat us as we want a test.

A good performance ,with no injuries ,and not more one goal conceded with around a core of our starter that play against Waterford starting,and id be happy even with a loss,and lads like joyce,murphy,lawton,walsh ,cooper,alan cadogan making noises we want to be picked for the starting team etc

That game should tell us what starting 15 against waterford is likely to be .

Eoin cadogan is injured,meant to be out for the waterford game

A joke ,he should never been in contention to start even.
    If its true ,he will do well be fully fit for football,likey to miss two challenge games in that
    Cork are trying to get more challeges I hear

They need to pull plug dualism cadogan.
    In fairness reality stares them face

At that game last night,douglas people werent happy with dualism at cork.

There wont be a whisper discontent at top regards it

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Eoin cadogan is injured,meant to be out for the waterford game

A joke ,he should never been in contention to start even.
    If its true ,he will do well be fully fit for football,likey to miss two challenge games in that
    Cork are trying to get more challeges I hear

They need to pull plug dualism cadogan.
    In fairness reality stares them face

At that game last night,douglas people werent happy with dualism at cork.

There wont be a whisper discontent at top regards it

Its not dualism that is catching Cadogen - people are fairly quick to forget how injured he was last year, with Achilles, shoulder and ankle injuries when only playing football. The lad seems to be injury prone, and as he said himself, he finds that he actually trained harder playing one sport than playing two sports.

I can understand that ,to a point but when a lad is that injured,its not benfical to both teams ,to play ,and train at both codes.
    And its not just training,also we have a lad that has played absoultey zero hurling at club,training same,one league game no challenges ,yet he is a panel member ahead of Jamie Nagle,Michael walsh,killan murphy,and that isnt right imo.

With injuries,extra games and mileage bound to hindere recovery time.
    I dont blame medical staff at all,i blame jbm for entertainig idea,and cuthbert for allowing it .He is Vital to our full back line espcially cuthbert picked a shortage of corner backs,in that if jamie sul or shields has to cover 3,we have just galvin and crowley ,only ones can do a job in the corner and not clancy,dorman or cahalane that as time has shown aint or never will be corner backs against elite corner forwards in the game.

It is beyond all logic and belief,jbm has a lad with no hurling done in panel all ireland that he wants to win.Cadogan imo offers hurling nothing others couldnt .
    At 27 he needs to mind himself regards injuries ,and not burn the candle at both ends ,play hurling one week,football the next or worse again play two games in two consectuive days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

Would any of ye know when that challenge with Dublin is and where ?

Few of the Dublin lads got injured in club champo this week and will be touch and go for the Wexford game in June

• Advertisement

7pm gaelic grounds sundaxm
    Behind closed doors though

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement