Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭rughug

Hi TTM . Where is that game v Dublin on , on Sunday next and will it be accessible to joe public. Time and venue ??

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Gary Neville

I can understand that ,to a point but when a lad is that injured,its not benfical to both teams ,to play ,and train at both codes.
    And its not just training,also we have a lad that has played absoultey zero hurling at club,training same,one league game no challenges ,yet he is a panel member ahead of Jamie Nagle,Michael walsh,killan murphy,and that isnt right imo.

With injuries,extra games and mileage bound to hindere recovery time.
    I dont blame medical staff at all,i blame jbm for entertainig idea,and cuthbert for allowing it .He is Vital to our full back line espcially cuthbert picked a shortage of corner backs,in that if jamie sul or shields has to cover 3,we have just galvin and crowley ,only ones can do a job in the corner and not clancy,dorman or cahalane that as time has shown aint or never will be corner backs against elite corner forwards in the game.

It is beyond all logic and belief,jbm has a lad with no hurling done in panel all ireland that he wants to win.Cadogan imo offers hurling nothing others couldnt .
    At 27 he needs to mind himself regards injuries ,and not burn the candle at both ends ,play hurling one week,football the next or worse again play two games in two consectuive days.

I know we can't blame dualism for Cadogan's injuries but the fact is that Cadogan and AW are now troubled by hamstring injuries. AW has this issue for a long time it's held him back IMO. He obviously aggrevated it v Limerick and then missed the club game - he has a replay now (another game)

We probably won't know whether Cork are contenders in Hurling until we (hopefully) play Clare. The same with Dublin in the Football.

However, the footballers badly need Cadogan and Walsh fully fit. I can't see this happen unless they reduce the work-load.

I'd prefer to see a split - Alan Cadogan and Cahalane to Hurling and AW & E Cadogan to football. Maybe the managers can come together and show a bit of commen sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

rughug wrote: »
    Hi TTM . Where is that game v Dublin on , on Sunday next and will it be accessible to joe public. Time and venue ??

Behind closed doors at 7 gaelic grounds

Makes it easier once since to decide what game go to

Club game on that eveining id like to watch

That game v kildare football ,i hear may be in closed doors as I think ryan kildare wants it

Would do cork no harm either,and I wouldnt be revealling new kick out strategy just yet

Keep it for kerry

It was mentioned here ,that Our medical staff and fitness staff professional intergity is questionable ,a page or so back if they stay quiet regards it dualism.
    In my opinion I would not agree at all ,and
    ,Jbm shouldnt bar Walsh be Entertaining the idea with the rest,and Cuthbert simply shouldnt be Allowing it .Imo,the responsibility falls with them and no one else at the end of the day.I since day one have been against dualism bar Walsh for many reasons I outline below.

In the dualism,i don't hold our medical staff or Dr.con Murphy any way accountable for players doing both or David Matthews ,or The Antrim lad with the footballers..I had the view before that they surely they would advise it isnt good for both.You would imagine that with Cadogan injury record the last two years and Cahalane a double hip operation at 21,that it was taken in to consideration,however once there fit to play and manager allows dualism,medical team can't say much if managers are fine with it.

There is a likeyhood,may be they may have said there views on dualism,who knows if they did or didnt ,but its clear who the driving force behind it is, now Jbm want it,and we have a manager in football that lacks the ruhtless edge to stop it.Like Cuthbert could even say ,we let walsh do it,but cadogan ,has got to stop-as he is missing too many games in both.There isnt even a Comprimise,Jbm want it,he gets it.
    He's the man calling the shots Imo ,Cuthbert ,doesn't have to go along with it.People said cuthbert couldnt make that call in January etc ,as he was new.And I came around to view eventually ,but He could make it now when it is clear its an issue with the football.

I wouldnt question our expertise in phyiso,o sullivan ,or Dr con etc,all they can do is advise them .Management are the ones that lay down the law at the end of day .And I dont doubt the Intergity of our medical set up for keeping quiet..Overall they have a great record with our lads .Its not there Call.
    And if the Board did put them under pressure to Facilate both,well the Board can hardly sack Jbm ,a man hes stature(there would be an outcry in Cork),or Cuthbert ,when they advocated he was there man,and with The 67m,sorry gone up to 70m now Apparently ,New Stadium ,they certaintly dont want bad pubiclty .
    Managers are in charge of there own destiny with there teams now at this moment in time of the Season,and Destiny in life,is normally,not the chances you take,but Rather to choices you make..Why take a Chance , when the odds are so far against it ,in Dualism with 3 lads when there are better choices of players in Most of the cases bar Walsh .

With colm o neill ,jamie sul,harnedy,cahalane,paudi ,Dr con Murphy for example deserves huge credit for there recovery as he gets them the best treatment.Hes been with cork close to 40 years.Hes professional interogity with the rest is second to none ,and
    absoultey top class.I remained to be convinced by Matthews when he ist came aboard,but now im a huge huge fan,and buy in to hes ways .
    He is a top top trainer .
    I saw cork train under football antim fitness coach,he is good.He had Na Piarsaigh hurlers flying .
    Warm up and warming down was top class.

Even in managements health Dr Con has worked wonders for example,He was the man that saved Billy morgan life ,(billy said it in he book)got him to see the Best Heart specalist (said it in book),when felt unwell,and it turned out Billy had a heart attack ,and didnt know it.

Another cork player with a injury at present,and I believe Dr Con has been superb to him,getting him best treatment etc and a second opinion.
    He was the one that diagonised Cusack with a thryoid problem as a minor(cusack mentioned it).
    When James masters had the broken jaw up to 2007 all ireland final ,i think twas him that made contact with Sean boylan initally.

Morgan mentioned that in he's book,that the The Famous Herabilst sent up a container of medicine for james and it helped heal him.They went outside convential medicine and embraced a new way to help James.Our medics,led By Dr.Con leave no stone unturned in our lads welfare.

I rememeber last year when Paudie had to sit on a trolley in CUH ,wait for a bed and a surgeon,people blamed the county board .I aint
    Their biggest fan ,but I fully backed them in that instance ,that it had nothing all to do with them ,it was due to our problems in the Health service Paudie had to wait for a bed ,nothing more nothing less.
    I think ,that a surgeon even operated on Paudi at something like after midnight ,early hours in the morning .Im sure Dr.con had a lot of input in that ,as Paudie need surgery as fast as he could.He always dose great work for the Players.And players past and present always speak highely of them.

I wouldnt doubt Dr con intergity at all,and for that reason ,the lads he has working with him ,are top people also.Best in there aera.He wouldnt have them with Cork ,if they werent imo.

Our medical lads get our lads fit to If lads are fit and want to play both,they cant do much in the final call.Manager can though,don't pick them and lay down wants 100 per cent commitment with he's panel.

Dualism is at the end of the day ,a managers call imo,like Gavin done. .Blaming medical staff ,etc to me ,i dont think is the problem and looking outside the box rather than within it.

.Dualism is here to stay for the year.Thats a certainty imo.Yes players believe it can work ,but manager can see clearly its affecting the team.It is similar like picking a lad out of positon say Maccie as an example.He wants to play for cork.Jbm picks him at 3,he will play there ,despite he's limations ,as he wants to play for Cork .Player isnt at fault ,its the manager for picking a lad do a job he simply can't do when logic clearly proves otherwise.Same here.Of a course players want to try both .There judgement is bound to be a conflict of interest in that they want to do both .I Don't blame players in one way as I ,admire there commitment to trying do both ,but there against huge huge odds.
    In Cadogan's case ,he even tried it 2012 and it didnt work out,Was hurling game against wexford(i think)saturday eveing ,he didnt play as he had Munster Final in limerick against clare the day after.Two years older,injury problems ,he certainly isnt in a better place to make it work not 2nd time.

In 1990 cork had two duals on the panel,Teddy mac and Denis Walsh
    Around 4 games won Cork the Hurling.5 games this year if we win all.Unlikey both hurling and footballer have no qualifers to play this year.

A manager,is in a different position,in that hes sole priority is either hurling or football ,he wants the best for hes team .
    Players have an emotion and affection for both codes,thats why they play them ,so they will try it at intercounty, so a player wanting to do both ,for me isn a persuasive argument that we go with it.A lot of other variables must be considered.A player can't tell what rights or wrong for the team some times when he plays.

A manager has no exuse with Emotion in he's decision ,in he must be Ruthless to do what is best for hes team ,And as manager ,everything around the team falls at he's door.

I said it before Proffesional rubgy players wouldnt do what Cork are doing,simply wouldnt be left to in ireland with the Irfu rotational policy for International players.They have rules set in place by the top down,on Rest and Recovery and player burn out,yet our lads are ametaurs but playing like proffessional.

I done a post last December when I showed every challenge,league,championship in Hurling and football for cork last Year.Close to 40 games in total for both teams together.That didnt show club demands ,or Training etc .Huge ask when you have 3 dual players or more in Central Positions of the Teams.

We can look for scapegoats etc to blame ,when its very simple ,if it affects the team its a managers call to end it.That Simple.Cuthbert could end it but won't go against jbm ,when the majority of fans would applaud cuthbert for doing it.
    And it would be a real Statement of Intent to those inside the Camp,and those outside ,Cork football means Buisness.

Like wise Hurling would have a statement of Intent.IMO,having Cadogan sends out a message ,that Cork havent got quailty half backs in the County ,and that isnt true .

I don't believe that in the case of cadogan couldnt stop hurling just as where weeks away for championship,just as he commited to jbm.Apparenty where lead to believe the league was just a trial,wasnt set in stone.If thats the case,clearly Cadogan should be Football only as hes Hurling expierment failed and Even most Avivd dualism fan has to see in Cadogans case it failed.It never got going be honest.
    One game was he it he played.

.Unlikey Cork would win An all ireland in football without him.Extremely likely case in hurling we could win without him.

He has zero practially hurling done,no way should he even be in contention for the 1st game imo ,so it wouldnt be a huge call to walk now as he has brought little to them,in even challenge games and its affecting he's football.He wasnt training the last night ,by what was posted here ,hasnt played last two challenges and unlikey to do so ,Saturday and now the Waterford game.He no way would have hurling to face clare,if we get to that game.

Walsh being self employed Has the flexibity that may pull it off and has hurled constantly the last few years.He is the only dual player I wanted at the start.Hes work revolves around hurling.And is the only lad that is of huge importance to both teams,worth a chance.He is playing in similar ends of the field,where ball winning and powerful running is akin to both codes he plays.Mindest is not hugehly different.

Cahalane ,has done more hurling than cadogan, ,but to command a central position like full back in a huge game ,day after playing a football game if that happened,you'd worry with the mindset and after two hip operations at just 21 and a injury record down the line it unlikey to work.Thank god Colm o neill declined in the past.Jbm said he asked him.

Also if Cahalane plays half back ,in Cork football game ,then day later has to go in 3,in hurling,that change of mindset in defensive duties is a huge ask ,as from playing an instinctive running up the field with the footballers and being Dynamic,your minding the house as a hurling full back,where Dynamic Force goes out the window,Stabilty and Security is Paramount here .Its not as easy to change mindset as it is to change gears in car for example,not a fluid transistion.

He is our best option in hurling ,but that tells you how much lack of depth we have there at 3.It should never have came to that were relying on him.
    Waterford have so many out,we will get away with those defensive fratiles ,but against better teams ,we will be Ruthlessy exposed unless, Cahalane hurling is not 90 per cent sharp or 95 per cent sharp but 100 per cent up to it,if he marks Honan or Shane o'donnell.

And lads like Michael Walsh,Jamie Nagle ,and Killan Murphy must be demorlaised when Cadogan no hurling etc,a dual player is on the panel and there not and cahalane while he has more done is a dual lad on the panel also .I still can't believe the fasination with Eoin in hurling.

Cadogan in 2012 actually had a poor poor season and many people would share that view,and many were wanting him dropped after the Tippeary game ,when Maher destroyed him ,getting the ball 17 times and making 6 scores.Bonner is a great player,i was always a huge fan, in hes own way,yet nothing like Fennelly or tony kelly ,whos touch and scoring is better than Bonner and would absoultey crucify ,cadogan ,as he's hurling wouldnt be up to it.Agression is not much use against these lads if you cant get the ball, and in Modern game as last year two finals and league final showed Touch is Hugely vital more so than ever,and Fennelly has that bite and agression to compliment hes superb hurling in abundance.
    Against James Ryan of limerick or Dodge,Cadogan may be fine ,against Downes or Dowling,huge problems imo he would have.

Against galway in that semi final he was better ,but still way of what you want in a half back at the top top level.Not much hurling done last year at club,jbm makes him a panel member.That was a wrong call imo.And the best half back in cork last year can't get a game .Yet nobody mentions it in the Cork or asks why .

In the Echo the other night,they said management arent sure on a centre back.Hugely concerning if true with management.
    If joyce doesnt get games ,or worse again moved from pillar to post,corner back,centre ,midfield he is going to be a lost talent in Cork Hurling.Yet cadogan was seen as the answer ,when he was brought in.

There is no way at this juncture time,Cadogan is better than Nagle or Michael walsh or Joyce.For a start those 3 are Actually playing Club hurling.Id even start Ellis over Cadogan,simply he has more hurling done.
    Walsh outstanding two weeks ago for Avondu,so much Rob O Shea had to be moved off him.Like Nagle has the aggression and bite that Cadogan was brought in to add.Guaraneeted he will out perform stephen white with Cork intermediates this year at half back .

In 2003,Setanta and Gardiner were put in the u21 football team panel to play waterford ,without any training done as they were with Cork hulrers ,in all ireland pursuit.
    Noel o leary said years later ,as part of that set up it was a fiasco and ,didnt go down well with other team members. Noel was just as honest of the field to call a spade a spade as he was on it.Credit due.

Cork tried to get that August game against waterford postponed up to the day of the game for two lads that didnt even train or were needed to play .
    Waterford beat Cork that night ,as cork mindset was no where near in the best frame .This was a talented team ,with a few that won the all ireland minor,years before and Noel made out there was an all ireland or at least a munster in them and had the talent to along way .The problem wasnt a lack of talent.

Back even 11 years ago,dualism in a u21 Munster game ,showed its problems.Yet here are cork now with far more games at an elite level ,trying to do it in this day and age.The more you Simplfy Dualism ,in some cases,it doesnt add up in Corks case.
    .If anybody should be speaking out is ex players in CORK and others etc.That wont happen now though.
    Sarah o Donovan ,credit due ,was one of few if any sports writers to question it and used Le Chin as an example.

And people shouldn't forget we would have 5 DUAL Players on the panel ,4 in real contention (Alan Cadogan on extended Football panel)to start if Sheehan wasnt playing Aussie Rules or if he comes back.I didnt want the lad to go abroad,but at least one Good is ,he isnt a dual player.Some of the Cork public were going in to overdrive last year and had Sheehan starting for Cork and wanted the lad playing hurling .
    This hype with Sheehan goes back to 2011.

Cork lost Munster u21 final to limerick,and the message that was tried to convince all and sundry ,if sheehan hadnt been injured Cork would have beaten them.Simply untrue.The hype regards sheehan isnt realistic imo as a hurler.That same hype ,is if Ciaran was with the Senior team now,we would win the all ireland .Imo ,that is not correct.After that kerry game ,In Lake Park hotel(i thinks that it,one out Muckross road,lovely wooded aera,tranquitly of lake beside it),seeing him on Crutches ,a lot Cork fans realised in football how much we would miss him .

Cork had enough talent on the field to win that hurling game(that was our best u21 teams in years ,and I have no doubt ,If we had a Good manager could won the All Ireland) ,like Harnedy on the bench waiting to play that very night.If we had used the talent within rather than lament about Sheehan been out,would have been better served imo.

Everbody could see that night,bring on Harnedy.All but our manager.And harnedy yes wasnt as good as he is now ,however he certainlty wasnt that bad, that he couldnt get game time with the u21 team in 80 minutes of hurling,in a game that went to extra time or worse still not a minute of game time out of 140 minutes of Hurling that season.

That lad was known then,even Denis Walsh knew of the lad ,and played,Him in a development cork Senior game against Lit ,Davys in Mallow and was good.

On the basis in 2006 v blackrock sheehan got around 7 or 8 points. Aprox as a 15 year old in Cork County Intermediate game .Yes that was great and for 2008 ,Cork Minors got a few points from play and did win a huge amount of ball in the Munster final .But while he had talent ,is he really better what we have availble now.He never played much Inter county u21 hurling due to injury,and he played club games,and even at minor where he didnt stand out for Cork .He has a greatly over hyped reputation as a hurler imo.The talent he had yes ,but it wasnt developed or converted from potential to a Inter county hurler to the next level,that Hurlers can only do by playing Lots and Lots of top Hurling reguarly,not off and on.Hurling,you simply must keep the eye and touch in .

Take Paudie o Sullivan as an example,of talent being developed,and constant progression, was just 15 or 16 or close to it when he played in a Cork County Senior final 2004.He kept hurling at minor,etc though and always was superb.And when he got injured,he was able to help hes recovery time as he just had one Code to focus on with Cork.
    .Walsh and cahalane in there defence have hurled at minor ,u21 for cork and big club games at a key stage in development there hurling.

If he was in ireland for example,jbm would play Sheehan,have no doubt So who do you drop
    from the cork team and panel.Again we would most likey drop a lad with talent and potential that we could develop in to a long term start for a lad that couldnt commit to hurling 100 per cent and that certain people blew up to be better than he was at hurling.Hadnt a great intermediate county hurling final last year imo.I expect more from potential Intercounty hurlers in those games.I expected it from Walsh.He met and exceded my expectation.That lad can improve the Hurling team and there isnt a better 12 in cork at present .Not just strength ,but he Has Oceans Hurling.

Cork hurling is imo going for short term soloutions in a panic to end the famine in hurling ,with dualism(going on 9 years without liam ,and if we dont win it 2014,longest famine since 1954 to 1966) ,when it would be better to build long term ,sustainable solutions for cork in key positions and put a huge emphasis on U21 hurling development,as in 1966 to end that famime Seniors had around 6 lads from u21 team that year.

Just suppose ,somehow Miraclous,cork win an all ireland with Cahalane at 3, and Cadogan at 6 this year.Those two arent going ,espiceally cadogan at 27 years of age won't be able to do dual again next year etc .Thats the Spine of your team Gone .Of course they would try it again ,as its never easy walk away team that won an all ireland.
    Cork hurling is gaining nothing,neither is the football in the long term with the dual codes .

Heres a list of players,imo,you couldnt drop that are better hurlers than sheehan,and that imo puts it in to perspective how we were willing look to a dual player to solve problems, when we already have players to solve them and really shows how dualism has lost all reality in some cases .

.Yet if sheehan ever comes back,instead of absence make the heart grow fonder ,and half a loaf is better than no loaf at all with Cork Gaa,by the time lad has one foot of the aeroplane,some be advocating a dual star is back .

Hes athleticism and ball winning ability ,he has in hurling,is overlooking the flaws he has in hes game in some people eyes imo.He must have hurling also at the top level.And like Aiskeake showed when youre away from the game,it affects it hughely .Sheehan is like Eoin cadogan ,only way they could get hurling sharp ,is by playing just one code ,in that both are miles of hurling sharpness.Brian Cocoran ,had to put in huge time and effort in 2004 to get hes Hurling back ,the hand and eye cordination ,and he imo, he was the greatest Cork Hurler to Ring.Yet it took him time to get the Hurling back.

Cork list of Forwards that -Imo Prove Sheehan isnt better than them and should simply never been considered for hurling.

Lehane-corks club hurler of the year ,2-10 in a county final.
    Worse still is we would play Sheehan at 10,and just facilate the lad,put lehane in at 15,wheres hes just ,a pale shadow of the real Lehane.Top Scorer in the Club Championship, and even though below par overall in two finals,got a breathtaking goal ,to drag cork back in to the game.He has it all.Just got to be left at 10.I saw Richie Hogan give a master class sunday at 10,and I saw no reason why lehane cant do similar.

Harnedy-All star last year ,around 16 points ,,1-13 from 6 games ,1st season.Two goals against tipp league,nailed on to be in contention for an all star if Cork get a run..Power ,athletiscim like Ciaran,but much much better hurling as he at club spends more time hurling unlike sheehan did where football and correctly so had centre stage.And Harnedy is going to get better and better with Cork.He can still improve,he feels himself.What a superb attuide.

The greatest tribute you could pay him,is he a Kilkenny type of Forward in a nutshell.He is adding the Goals to hes game now and becoming a master of Ruthless Execution and not a soft scoring option forward.When the need is Greatest ,he is always reliable.Doesn't see himself
    as a hero,modest to the core,just see himself doing a job ,A Cork Hurler is expected to do.Won't for that very reason suffer 2nd season syndrome ,and not a one hit Wonder.A perfect Role Model for any young Hurler in Cork imo ,such a superb attuide for the game.

He can Win hes own ball,ground or. In the air,takes punisment,can look after himself on the field,real leadership,in fact ,thrives in adversity,team are struggling,it likes he's calling,"Stand up Seamie"Time.

Has a mininum standard at least 2 points per game.Sees every game,challenge,league ,or championship as equal,same hunger he brings to the table.Encourages other around him in words,and clinched fists,and follows up with doing it himself on the ptich.

Super hurling,and an attiude to the Game ,Cody would be Proud of.Works equally hard off the ball as well as on it .Captain of Cork without a doubt down the line.
    Injury is the only thing that would hold him back.Versatile up front.

Walsh-8 from play in Munster u21 2011 final,goal and 3 around in a county intermediate hurling final last year,was superb at minor at half back 2008 minor team cork that won munster.Superb reader of the game.Sideline cuts,are so splendid ,like limerick 2011 and two weeks ago ,show hes techinpue is ist class as a hurler.You don't hit great side line points unless,your Hurling is top top notch.
    Been superb ,kanturk and Cit consistently down the years.Much better striker of the ball than sheehan.
    Sheehan only matches him in athletcisim and power in hurling imo .Walsh is a more complete hurler imo.Walsh plays more club hurling at intermediate and senior even.
    Football the comple opposite ,Sheehan much more complete and natural footballer.However ,Walsh has a lot to offer the footballers as a Primary ball Winner.

Alan cadogan-young but were going to see the best of the lad this year.Club forward in team of the year last year ,got 1-5 against Ballymartle when could had 3-5.
    Well able to win high ball,and tough and abrasive,as showed against Riche mac two weeks ago.Extremely versalite as a player.Croke Park and big games made for him.Big game player,super touch ,has played well with ucc,and cork in league.Watch this lad against Waterford.Hes going to cut loose.

You could start Pauide ahead of Cadogan or at 14 when fit .
    Paudie was On Fire in 2012 Cork county club championship had 5-24 in 5 games you couldnt even hold him with a pair of oven gloves.Then ,then got injured.Super hurler,touch,agilty,speed etc.A tenneager and he played in county finals at senior.Twice career threatining injuries,he recovered.

2012,he was exceptional ,4 against tipp from play ,and 3 against Galway in the Semifinal in Croke Park .That stadium suited the lad,big open spaces.
    He when other Cork forwards went missing,stood up in the big games.A big game player,great reader of the game that he played half back for cork minors ,in hes day .Captained Harty cup midelton 2006.5-24 in 18 championship games for cork,not bad when he has played on less dominant cork teams at senior ,and just one year in championship under a great manager with jbm ,in he had injury last year and the misfortune playing under the The Gerald Mac and walsh era in that he was on poor teams .Sheehan is hardly better than Paudi.Paudi stickwork is Awesome,and has superb vision ,in he can see things in a game others cant.Could do a job at 14 as a link man.For a small man,has a superb leap in the air.
    And with a more potent Cork 6,forwards and more to share the burden,i expect when hes fully fit to flourish for Cork ,once they dont play the lad at half forward and give him a regular supply of fast ball,he didnt get that in 2012 reguarly.

Horgan -All star ,very much in line to be player of the year if Cork won the all ireland last year with Nash and Harnedy.A real marquee forward from play and placed balls and after years of woeful penalties,has improved.Obivous he has been practising with Nash.
    Minor and u21 has stood out.Really came of age last year .

Cronin-big game player ,great goal all ireland final and had a good replay.Real leadership.Wasnt fully recovered last year from pneoumnia ,is a much better option than sheehan would be at 14 as,has the same power and strength(yes lacks the athletiscm and movement) but much better in scoring.

Jamie coughlan,luke o farell ,and moylan all have potential and can offer cork a lot.Yes they have to develop,but much more hurling imo than sheehan ever had .And there 100 per cent committed to hurling.
    Pa callaghan if he gets the back sorted,could be awesome ,has huge natural talent and credit jbm for asking the lad to join .If Sheehan was availble,unlikey he would have been asked for.Dual you see takes up an a panel place.

Bill cooper is around 25 and lost a lot of hurling years due to Rubgy and injury but is a player that can develop.And Youghal in the big time will help the lad.Now while he is raw around the edges however he is solid in the air and brave and steely ,gives it all .Decison making he needs to develop ,but must be given time.

I could list other talents better than Sheehan ,for cork hurling coming up the next two years .They are hurling consistently,and deserve chances.If Sheehan comes back in two years,some Potential talent like Eoghan Kinery in Particular , big ,strong mobile hurler could loose out on a panel place with Cork ,just like ,a player has with Eoin Cadogan on the Cork Panel.

Simple point is Cork wouldnt need Sheehan in Cork hurling.He is'nt better imo than those above,to prove otherwise would have to be hurling contsistently for club etc and regurlary to even get a game with Cork.

Cork football would hugehly welcome the lad back,and I would ,actually believe for the 1st time,if we had Sheehan at midfield in Cork football this year ,then we could win the all ireland.It would be realistic to belief that .He would improve the team dramatically.

Thats how Great he is at football.
    Athleticsm,kickpassing,vision,pace,creativity,strength ,agilty ,powerful ,temparment you name it ,as a footballer he has it .So good you could play him anywhere from centre back upwards .
    Yet instead of being protected at one code,Cork would comprise hes talent ,for a code he simply isnt needed for as if he did come back in july or next year etc,as jbm would, with no hurling done ,would have him playing hurling and cuthbert would make no mistake about It facilate it,as jbm said he would have had Sheehan hurling if he stayed.

Dualism is a concern ,even seen by the talk in this thread for the championship now but we forget with Sheehan down under how worse dualism would have became and if he comes back ,it would become a live issue with him again.
    Its not a case of put lads down on paper and pick a fantasy team.
    .Ken O Halloran our Football keeper, superb hurling keeper 2007 in cork Munster u21 team, that were robbed by James Mcgrath v galway referee (up there With Nolan refereeing u21 a few weeks ago)so do we look to him if Nash or Mccarthy got injured as a goalie and deprive Nyhan or wallis etc .No we don't.

The team must work in reality at the end of the day and any panel must be up to inter county ,and if not,then it must at least be better than whats left in the County. .I am equally a hurling and football fan ,im not or never will be one over the other.

CORK should have taken Walsh at both and left it at that .The only Certain Starter in both codes that is best in the county imo for a midfield berth in football and a wing forward spot in hurling.
    Everbody was a winner.
    I would to Geuinely Love to be proven wrong as if that was the Case,Cork hurling and football becomes a Benficary but the harsh reality is both the football and hurling teams are likey to loose out in 3 dual players sooner or later.

• Advertisement

http://www.eveningecho.ie/2014/01/09/dual-players-cant-give-codes/

Done in January at the start of the year that was written.Made a lot of sense then and as time past,now makes even more.

Kanturk beat Glanworth ,replay football.I wasnt at it ,hopefully the Kanturk lads post report/update later fine win.Credit due kanturk

Walsh I heard played ,Aidan ,can that be confirmed?
    Ian got a goal and few points.Great to hear, the lad had an awful injury a while back

Cork ladies play Dub League final tg4 live,i wont get watch live ,unlikey, I will record it though.
    Only saw them play once this year against monaghan ,went to that game.
    Anyone know the Cork team and how it will go ??! Meant be a few new players on the team.
    Best of luck to them in Parnell Park

Development Cork squads Cork to be named Monday
    Cant wait to see them .Lot young talented players in cork .

• Registered Users Posts: 3 wide ball

Think Skibb might have too much firepower for Clyda at w'end - Clyda need to win midfield well to have any chance. Anyone know how Kissane is juggling inter county management in clare & playing club ball here ?

Nicks mightn't have to be great to get the better of Clonakilty, saw on paper last week Clonakilty manager had just resigned....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

wide ball wrote: »
    Think Skibb might have too much firepower for Clyda at w'end - Clyda need to win midfield well to have any chance

I think skibb will have about 3 points over clyda. Skibbs u21county winning team of 3 or 4 years ago is improving them. Clyda will always be organized and hard to score against but they find their own scores hard to come by too

• Registered Users Posts: 3 wide ball

Think Micheals will bt CTB, any local betting on these games available ?

• Advertisement

Eddie Kirwan Nemo rangers with Clonakilty as coach ,as far as im aware,and a huge input to the team.He was with Nemo won Munster Club 2011 beating Crokes.
    A top manager.
    I didnt hear one managers went,they had ryan and white as joint managers .

Kissane hasnt trained as much ,with clyda,however he extremely fit and,natural finess ,it wont hugely impact them as Clyda play simple game,defend in numbers and counter attack.Hodnett is a danger for skib,carey however could and will likey mark him,and with a swarm defence ,he wont get space .

Kissane is flying with clare seniors,top top coach ,and living in cobh now I think,some commitment still to clyda he has . .Hes coaching expierence with Arigeen rangers last year and clare ,is imo benfical to clyda .He is going to be a Great coach.

Nednglish ,has clyda organised and patient ,and they love close games,and Skib flying in league but clyda are different style.Fair play to English ,with Duhallow,also at senior ,stayed with Clyda when they got promoted.A superb coach English is and a gentleman.

o sulliuvan with them from this Cork u21 team and Paudi,o shea and carey,and Niall O Mullane in the team they,are at the back a solid team.
    What is the worry is long season ,if there still tired ,as played up til january top football.Thats the concern.Peadear Healy coach at skib,he was with Cork Seniors.I presume Pryce ,is still there goal keeper,with Cork mcgrath cup,a good shot stopper.
    Padraig Mullane big loss to clyda ,retired now.Tremendous servant to the club.

Micheals and castletown bere is interesting,in Daniel Meaney and Gary Murphy ,two Cork minors in oppoisiton.

Mallow and Greanagh could be close.On paper Mallow should win ,but there often the games they loose and I fancy Grenagh.
    Cian O Riordain,ex cork senior,Pa herihly u21 hurler,Harkin minor last year,Killan o connor dual minor last year and likey dual u21,and Loughrey ,they have indivals talent,but must play as a team .
    Grenagh wont fear them .Aidan Dorgan ex Cork player,good forward with mallow,brother with Grenagh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

Kanturk beat Glanworth ,replay football.I wasnt at it ,hopefully the Kanturk lads post report/update later fine win.Credit due kanturk

Walsh I heard played ,Aidan ,can that be confirmed?
    Ian got a goal and few points.Great to hear, the lad had an awful injury a while back

Cork ladies play Dub League final tg4 live,i wont get watch live ,unlikey, I will record it though.
    Only saw them play once this year against monaghan ,went to that game.
    Anyone know the Cork team and how it will go ??! Meant be a few new players on the team.
    Best of luck to them in Parnell Park

Development Cork squads Cork to be named Monday
    Cant wait to see them .Lot young talented players in cork .
    Aidan played and Ian got two goals and a few points. Played well enough, management learned from last weeks mistakes. Aidan had a good game. Once Glanworth had there midfielder taken off on a strecher and centre back black carded the game was up.

Cork 1-9 to Dublin 2-4 Ladies National fooball league
    Unbelievable.
    Splendid,wonderful achievement ,words so Accostomed Cork Ladies at senior Football last ten years,again evident today.Superb characther and resilent by team some young new players in 1st senior final.

Very much The Kilkenny of Ladies Football in that Won everything Game has offer,set new records,Greatesest manager ever in the Game ,a team in transistion today but very much a force that hasnt gone away and be a real challenger all ireland Glory ,and Like Kilkenny have tipp number,Cork have Dublins majority timd.
    Hunger,Want ,and that absoultey Selfish quailty to be never satisfied with past Glories,always wanting more ,a great trait in Eammon ryan teams still there again.

A new generation of Cork looks good.
    Saw last 20 minutes ,such heard excitment and comeback was on,had to stop nearest pub to watch it.
    What I saw Flynn,Mulchay,phelan superb last 20.Cant wait watch it in full.
    Congrualations to all .Epic stuff.
    Valerie Mulchay got man of the Match.Eammon ryan what a Manager.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Dublin should have at least drawn the game, Goldrick had two glorious chances to draw it and to be honest Cork were far far from good. Some shocking play and passes, some mistakes you wouldn't see in underage games but they ground it out. If Dublin had their shooting boots, they would have won it.

O Reilly came on and steadied things well, didn't start due to her camogie commitments. Buckley isn't a good midfielder, to start her at wing forward was madness imo.

I think they have been watching soccer and looking at the zonal marking system, very much caught them out at times - big problem that they don't mark their individual and then have to dive in. Peat's first goal should have been cut out long before she got it.

Biggest problem Cork have is relying on the older players, when they should be throwing more youth in. Scally is a fantastic player, but there was one sub who came on and tbh a ruthless manager would have hauled her back off she was so poor. You had certain players go missing for periods of the game, which at this level is not good enough. Lot of improvement needed before championship

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Nemo hammered Dohenys. 2-17 to 1 point. That must be soul destroying for dohenys. Nemo look to be in good nick after that result

Two pieces of Information I believe significant to Cork Hurling in Waterford play offaly and next week clare v cats in a challenge.

Offaly are playing waterford senior hurling challenge game ,Sunday eveing.Likey to be the last game up to Cork.
    Greatest respect to Offaly there a shambles at present .So I wouldnt think Thats much help playing them last warm up game,waterford should win handy and I doubt waterford gain any real benfit in that game .Years ago,offaly were renowned as a fast,of cuff hurling,and would be ideal prepartion for a similar cork team,swash bucking,free style hurling,renowned on Spatial awarness.

In harsh truth,offaly now Play a hurling game,where ,its very slow in tempo,and havent much pace throughtout the field and you would question there fitness ttraining,in terms it seems of the standard.

Clare beat them 3-23 to around 12 in killaole last night ,while a few main lads played ,Clare were without a few lads of the regular team.Davy would have had harder A v b matches by all accounts from that match.I believe Sky showing offaly v kk ,in a few weeks,they wanted a close match to get them off on a bang you would think,i fear offaly could be in for a huge beating .

We have Dublin tommorrow(i dont expect to win all ireland)and Wexford rattle them, and not to beat Kk,but they will be ideal test us last game,and wet weather is forceast sunday,so Lot Physicality and there fit and have hurling .Then two weeks of taper.All real work now ,is done fitness wise,not much you ,can do in two weeks.The key is get the Mindset right,get rid of that horrible staleness ,lethargy flat displays we had most year ,where we yet have to get one really complete performance in a full game .Hopefully this challenge help cork in that regard.

Dublin play Limerick in two weeks in Limerick again.

Shane O Neill spoke so Beautfully honest,in interview after All ireland,spoke lot real truths and said Cork had take last year face value,and lot lot work to be done .If all our panel share he's sentiments we are in a good place.Interesting also that Interview,And it was Interesting ,is Walsh was the Only Dual player he praised .
    Cork lads no what he brings to the panel .Walsh is a huge benfit.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/shane-still-ill-at-ease-after-croker-pain-258906.html

That was a courageous,Honest article ,that I have ever read.And that type of article does give you hope ,Cork realise and accept were far from the finished article.Worry I have is around 3 months on,Cork havent solved key aeras.

You must always have Honesty as to call it as it is.Shane O Neili,i was always a huge fan,that interview drove him in to new heights for me.Those type players Cork must have to build Fortress .It is not being negative for the sake of it.It being truthfully realistic,and that Willing Acceptance,to realise you can do better and with that ,Mindset ,you always have a chance to Drive on.
    If you fail to Accept problems are present you cant begin to fix them in truth

Having players like o neill other players breed and play of that attuide and respect is created.
    It drives the attuide within.Nash,Harnedy ,Cronin,have similar mindsets.Cork have leaders ,must have tactics to compliment them also.

Same way The Rock ,when he got Munster Hurling medal in 2000,same night Cork Minors got there All Ireland football one ,told Noel O Leary he admired hes honesty and bravery ,way he played on the field and Courage.That Recoingiton as a minor from one of Corks Hardest men couldnt be undervalued.

In relation should we play Clare in June Munster semi ,they have a challenge 18th May in Kilkenny.

Very signifcant,Davy has them playing that game,and away ,as bound go hell leather ,cork game,but also have around 3 week break. To cork/waterford then taper.He will learn last from year,when He had lads I think twas In A V b training game week before Cork game,last year behind closed doors gaelic grounds ,the lead up to the cork ist round game,,and they were very flat and tired afer that game .They went hell for leather ,and also that blistering heatwave we got In ireland,weeks leading up it,clare had trained 4 days in a row weeks leading up to Cork Last year ,which was Warm weather training at home,as it turned out.

He wont make the same mistake twice this year.
    Davy makes mistakes,but always learns.That game on the 18th may get lads sharpness up etc and wouldnt suprise me if he clare pushed hard at training next week ,and Kk won,but he will have he lads ,full of intensity.
    .They werent fresh last year against Cork,should we meet mid june,they will be fresh as daises.

Cats dont do challenges with Cody really,but they would take that game serious .To me ,a huge statement intent ,clare are going to be primed for June,as not just the opposition but the timing of the game next week.

Thats why we dont just pick a team with Waterford mind in,must as All ireland finalist be expecting,now all there injuries,beat them ,and must have our team that we go go to War with clare in June starting against waterford.
    Thats why I hope ,we would go with Cahalane,joyce ,lorchan in defence.
    It wont happen but we should play sweeper against waterford,as prepartion for Clare.As O grady said ,tactically last year Clear had our number.I wasnt too harsh with jbm then,as be fair we had limited panel and bar Naughton sub ,coughlan was the man ,he couldnt done much more .With waterford injuries and new management ,Cork should win,if not its a disaster,no point saying otherwise.We aim to win all ireland, we should beat waterford,they have a huge amount of injuries.
    I geuinely feel for them,as Cork were Similar last year.Id expect a few to clear up ,but ,there defintely without o mahony and Shanahan.
    Young talent they have to bring in,will have there day,but its a bit early them .I couldnt see past a cork win now ,and in u21 ,i couldnt see past them beating us in that game in waterford

Heard an interview withJbm ,red fm ,and he said very happy Bill cooper.Great to hear,my view he should of been in the league squad orignally,but at least jbm has him now in the squad.

Jbm is one of the shrewdest,intellgent hurling men around,my worry is he's stubborness to the sweeper,possession game,and hes defiance to prove 15 v 15 beat it ,and doesnt do tactics a lot ,believes winning indivudal battles .
    But I want hes term and expect it to be renewed this yearand also if he goes ,no real quailty candiate there.,as O Grady and Cunningham wont get the job,no hope of that.I really hope he stays for a two year term.

Cunningham huge huge loss as he would be this year for cork,but Kingston coaching isnt weakening team,top class man and I have seen Cork train,no problemo.As Shane. O neill said kingston is good in hes own way.

So while challenges ,are hard to read in to some times I think the fact waterford have offaly ,we have dubs ,is good ,and not so good clare have Cats next week.They beat Galway in a challenge last week also. Galway have limerick in a challenge next in galway next weekend.

The Cork team ,likey to be announced thursday 22 May ,,that to me will define what our direction and if lessons of past mistakes. Are being learned.

Went to Senior Hurling Game in Claughan tonight just to watch Nash ,and Ronan lynch play and to judge the standard hurling club scence this year ,Na piarsaigh beat South liberties by around 3 points and by jesus twas windy.Awful weather,poor referring,but barry Nash with Liberties and Lynch of Na Piarsaigh were excellent ,and I wanted to see these lads,primarily as they be centre back and centre forward,minor v cork .
    Nash played very well,won lot ball ,fought hard.Lynch some talent and. Has class all over him
    NASH is a lovely striker of the ball.
    Wears a Red Helmet,easy to distinguish.

I heard Clonakilty after down by 5 to 0 beat Nicks,doesnt suprise me as said last night,any team with Eddie kirwan are a dangerous team .A great man to read a game in flow .
    Nemo hammered Dohenys 2-17 to just a point.Jesus thats woeful from Dohenys in fairness no matter how good Nemo are or how bad Dohenys are.I point ,that was early in the game,management and players ,both have a lot to work on

Weather ,unlikey dry up tommorrow,could ruin both games ,Clyda and Skib,Grenagh v mallow.
    However if its a bad eveining like now silky fast flowing football goes out the window that Mallow and Skib play,and its war of attrtiton,battles of the wills ,and You would say battle hardened teams Clyda and Grenagh relish the weather.I am going to that game in Mourneabbey.I can't wait.Say Grenagh could have a lot Clyda fans ,shouting for them ,as there similar type of club.Mallow are seen as big fish ,complex etc.Mallow have fine talent ,but they need to get a real club unity,i feel they lack at times .They have some lovely players.

Dorgan is a good coach,but some feel ,Michael O Donovan ex ,Cork player ,Mid 90,s ,related to Tomas Mulchay would have been a perfect fit.

On a final note,keep the best til last,Morgan the genuis,making waves again, kildorrey beaten by Mtichestown ,Fair play .
    Im not for or against either team but glad Mtichestown won with Morgan.I said last year ,Tompkins overated and one dimenshoal manager,limited ,no tactical nous as ruthessy exposed by Keel Of kerry.
    Morgan is going to add pace,spatial awaraness ,and a solidty to them and Supreme Imperious Game Flow Tactical Genuisty to the set up.
    They have a real chance of doing well.
    Credit due them,Congrats to them , Horse 84,id say you must be delighted , with that result .Great win for ye.

Havent watched,Ladies game in full yet,but if ,cork were poor in some aeras and still won and improve,they could be a real force.

What I saw with Dublin last 20 ,for all there talent, imo they struggled when Need was Greatest to get scores,and I wonder a bit like tipp v cats last week ,have they developed a lack of real belief to actually beat cork when push comes to shove.

Who would be Cork greatest dangers in the champ?
    Scally,is she the Minor captain ??
    Heard Briege interview on the Radio and she said cant wait go back training now the week after next .

Rice Cup Final Game Midelton v Ard Scoil meant be next week
    Anyone know of a venue please ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Two pieces of Information I believe significant to Cork Hurling in Waterford play offaly and next week clare v cats in a challenge.

Offaly are playing waterford senior hurling challenge game ,Sunday eveing.Likey to be the last game up to Cork.
    Greatest respect to Offaly there a shambles at present .So I wouldnt think Thats much help playing them last warm up game,waterford should win handy and I doubt waterford gain any real benfit in that game .Years ago,offaly were renowned as a fast,of cuff hurling,and would be ideal prepartion for a similar cork team,swash bucking,free style hurling,renowned on Spatial awarness.

In harsh truth,offaly now Play a hurling game,where ,its very slow in tempo,and havent much pace throughtout the field and you would question there fitness ttraining,in terms it seems of the standard.

Clare beat them 3-23 to around 12 in killaole last night ,while a few main lads played ,Clare were without a few lads of the regular team.Davy would have had harder A v b matches by all accounts from that match.I believe Sky showing offaly v kk ,in a few weeks,they wanted a close match to get them off on a bang you would think,i fear offaly could be in for a huge beating .

We have Dublin tommorrow(i dont expect to win all ireland)and Wexford rattle them, and not to beat Kk,but they will be ideal test us last game,and wet weather is forceast sunday,so Lot Physicality and there fit and have hurling .Then two weeks of taper.All real work now ,is done fitness wise,not much you ,can do in two weeks.The key is get the Mindset right,get rid of that horrible staleness ,lethargy flat displays we had most year ,where we yet have to get one really complete performance in a full game .Hopefully this challenge help cork in that regard.

Dublin play Limerick in two weeks in Limerick again.

Shane O Neill spoke so Beautfully honest,in interview after All ireland,spoke lot real truths and said Cork had take last year face value,and lot lot work to be done .If all our panel share he's sentiments we are in a good place.Interesting also that Interview,And it was Interesting ,is Walsh was the Only Dual player he praised .
    Cork lads no what he brings to the panel .Walsh is a huge benfit.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/shane-still-ill-at-ease-after-croker-pain-258906.html

That was a courageous,Honest article ,that I have ever read.And that type of article does give you hope ,Cork realise and accept were far from the finished article.Worry I have is around 3 months on,Cork havent solved key aeras.

You must always have Honesty as to call it as it is.Shane O Neili,i was always a huge fan,that interview drove him in to new heights for me.Those type players Cork must have to build Fortress .It is not being negative for the sake of it.It being truthfully realistic,and that Willing Acceptance,to realise you can do better and with that ,Mindset ,you always have a chance to Drive on.
    If you fail to Accept problems are present you cant begin to fix them in truth

Having players like o neill other players breed and play of that attuide and respect is created.
    It drives the attuide within.Nash,Harnedy ,Cronin,have similar mindsets.Cork have leaders ,must have tactics to compliment them also.

Same way The Rock ,when he got Munster Hurling medal in 2000,same night Cork Minors got there All Ireland football one ,told Noel O Leary he admired hes honesty and bravery ,way he played on the field and Courage.That Recoingiton as a minor from one of Corks Hardest men couldnt be undervalued.

In relation should we play Clare in June Munster semi ,they have a challenge 18th May in Kilkenny.

Very signifcant,Davy has them playing that game,and away ,as bound go hell leather ,cork game,but also have around 3 week break. To cork/waterford then taper.He will learn last from year,when He had lads I think twas In A V b training game week before Cork game,last year behind closed doors gaelic grounds ,the lead up to the cork ist round game,,and they were very flat and tired afer that game .They went hell for leather ,and also that blistering heatwave we got In ireland,weeks leading up it,clare had trained 4 days in a row weeks leading up to Cork Last year ,which was Warm weather training at home,as it turned out.

He wont make the same mistake twice this year.
    Davy makes mistakes,but always learns.That game on the 18th may get lads sharpness up etc and wouldnt suprise me if he clare pushed hard at training next week ,and Kk won,but he will have he lads ,full of intensity.
    .They werent fresh last year against Cork,should we meet mid june,they will be fresh as daises.

Cats dont do challenges with Cody really,but they would take that game serious .To me ,a huge statement intent ,clare are going to be primed for June,as not just the opposition but the timing of the game next week.

Thats why we dont just pick a team with Waterford mind in,must as All ireland finalist be expecting,now all there injuries,beat them ,and must have our team that we go go to War with clare in June starting against waterford.
    Thats why I hope ,we would go with Cahalane,joyce ,lorchan in defence.
    It wont happen but we should play sweeper against waterford,as prepartion for Clare.As O grady said ,tactically last year Clear had our number.I wasnt too harsh with jbm then,as be fair we had limited panel and bar Naughton sub ,coughlan was the man ,he couldnt done much more .With waterford injuries and new management ,Cork should win,if not its a disaster,no point saying otherwise.We aim to win all ireland, we should beat waterford,they have a huge amount of injuries.
    I geuinely feel for them,as Cork were Similar last year.Id expect a few to clear up ,but ,there defintely without o mahony and Shanahan.
    Young talent they have to bring in,will have there day,but its a bit early them .I couldnt see past a cork win now ,and in u21 ,i couldnt see past them beating us in that game in waterford

Heard an interview withJbm ,red fm ,and he said very happy Bill cooper.Great to hear,my view he should of been in the league squad orignally,but at least jbm has him now in the squad.

Jbm is one of the shrewdest,intellgent hurling men around,my worry is he's stubborness to the sweeper,possession game,and hes defiance to prove 15 v 15 beat it ,and doesnt do tactics a lot ,believes winning indivudal battles .
    But I want hes term and expect it to be renewed this yearand also if he goes ,no real quailty candiate there.,as O Grady and Cunningham wont get the job,no hope of that.I really hope he stays for a two year term.

Cunningham huge huge loss as he would be this year for cork,but Kingston coaching isnt weakening team,top class man and I have seen Cork train,no problemo.As Shane. O neill said kingston is good in hes own way.

So while challenges ,are hard to read in to some times I think the fact waterford have offaly ,we have dubs ,is good ,and not so good clare have Cats next week.They beat Galway in a challenge last week also. Galway have limerick in a challenge next in galway next weekend.

The Cork team ,likey to be announced thursday 22 May ,,that to me will define what our direction and if lessons of past mistakes. Are being learned.

Went to Senior Hurling Game in Claughan tonight just to watch Nash ,and Ronan lynch play and to judge the standard hurling club scence this year ,Na piarsaigh beat South liberties by around 3 points and by jesus twas windy.Awful weather,poor referring,but barry Nash with Liberties and Lynch of Na Piarsaigh were excellent ,and I wanted to see these lads,primarily as they be centre back and centre forward,minor v cork .
    Nash played very well,won lot ball ,fought hard.Lynch some talent and. Has class all over him
    NASH is a lovely striker of the ball.
    Wears a Red Helmet,easy to distinguish.

I heard Clonakilty after down by 5 to 0 beat Nicks,doesnt suprise me as said last night,any team with Eddie kirwan are a dangerous team .A great man to read a game in flow .
    Nemo hammered Dohenys 2-17 to just a point.Jesus thats woeful from Dohenys in fairness no matter how good Nemo are or how bad Dohenys are.I point ,that was early in the game,management and players ,both have a lot to work on

Weather ,unlikey dry up tommorrow,could ruin both games ,Clyda and Skib,Grenagh v mallow.
    However if its a bad eveining like now silky fast flowing football goes out the window that Mallow and Skib play,and its war of attrtiton,battles of the wills ,and You would say battle hardened teams Clyda and Grenagh relish the weather.I am going to that game in Mourneabbey.I can't wait.Say Grenagh could have a lot Clyda fans ,shouting for them ,as there similar type of club.Mallow are seen as big fish ,complex etc.Mallow have fine talent ,but they need to get a real club unity,i feel they lack at times .They have some lovely players.

Dorgan is a good coach,but some feel ,Michael O Donovan ex ,Cork player ,Mid 90,s ,related to Tomas Mulchay would have been a perfect fit.

On a final note,keep the best til last,Morgan the genuis,making waves again, kildorrey beaten by Mtichestown ,Fair play .
    Im not for or against either team but glad Mtichestown won with Morgan.I said last year ,Tompkins overated and one dimenshoal manager,limited ,no tactical nous as ruthessy exposed by Keel Of kerry.
    Morgan is going to add pace,spatial awaraness ,and a solidty to them and Supreme Imperious Game Flow Tactical Genuisty to the set up.
    They have a real chance of doing well.
    Credit due them,Congrats to them , Horse 84,id say you must be delighted , with that result .Great win for ye.

I wouldn't put too much stock in that Clare challenge. There's a full fixture of club games on the Thurs to Sat before the game on the Sun. Don't know who Cody is going to play and what state they'll be in for match. Game is to open new grounds for Cody's club. That's the only reason he's agreed to it.

Nemo hammered Dohenys. 2-17 to 1 point. That must be soul destroying for dohenys. Nemo look to be in good nick after that result

At least some lad will be able to tell his Grandchildren that way back in 2014 when Dohenys used to be Senior - I played c/ship v the great Nemo Rangers and got all our score(s) in the game.

• Advertisement

http://m.rte.ie/sport/touch/gaa/2014/0509/616417-cusack-clare-driving-a-fundamental-shift/
    A good read imo.

In relation to the Challenge match,
    Kilkenny have such a panel,and with young lads ,wanting to get in team,senior stars wanting another year,huge hunger in kk ,and guaranteed as always cody will judge every player performance as he does any game ,and he has mininum standard he expects that game will have a bite and cut to it,who evers he plays,irrespective club games.There isnt a game,whether its challenge ,or ,leauge etc,Cody doesnt learn things about hes team and he always expect the right attuide from he players.Cody imo ,glad to have clare.

Also Clare are all ireland champions and kk were beaten by them in the league ,he wont want clare get a mindset supieroty complex over kk ,and also if clare do play some new lads such is clares success and depth at u21 etc ,he will want beat team .
    Davy is the same ,he want a certain attuide against cats.

Also kilkenny ,lets be honest are going to get no test from offaly in Leinster ,they have lost majority challenges and league games ,okay beat limerick,but they are in a woeful state.Beating kerry in play off a few weeks ago,antrim ,is hardly standout ,so kk are bound to get a test whatever clare team send up ,and there wont show there full hands boths managers ,but there will be an intensity to it that is bound to help both teams .Kk could learn more in that challenge than the offaly game,in that offaly game could be over 20 minutes or less if kk want to .

Kilkenny and clare choosed to play each other at that time,as its ideal prepartion in fine tuning prepartions ,particulary for clare who are in june .Both teams are ideal counties more so than others imo to play challenges now than other Counties.Imo,Cody isnt just playing clare open new ground .There is always a purpose with Cody,makes him Greatest manager now.

For example Galway and Limerick play each other next week.Im not sure Galway can take much heed if they beat Limerick ,if they play a full strength team,in that limerick are so predicatable ,any team in top 6 would realistcally be expecting to win .And as Great as a player ,he was Davy Clarke ,is certainly no addittion to what they need,very much old school thoughts on Hurling.
    Some Intercounty U21 set up have better management teams than Limerick .

Cork played them in a challenge,we had an understrength team and won it ,and Limerick were dire to watch in ,just bomb ball after ball down on half forwards .
    Cork learned a bit as we had new players ,but you couldnt get carried away with it.
    Wexford gave us a much better test last week appartently .

Clyda won 2-13 to 2-7

Small Club,Big HEART.
    Doesnt suprise me ,and as I said Very much doable,Again today proved Teams,Not Individuals win games.A team of Grit..workrate,character and a sheer defiance to never give up,Clyda in a nutshell,compsure and Patience,Parmount to the Victory and crucially play a game akin to there players availble and get every last inch out of them.
    They are so Disciplined to there system,a credit to them .

I had a worry they may be tired,jesus they blew skib away 2nd half,and theres More in Clyda ,they Can and Will improve.

Of course Icing on the Cake ,is the Wonderful Astute Ned English.For all Hodnetts class,he was superb,he didnt get the ball a lot and clyda were like an Octupuse against Skib,it just wrapped its force around its victim and slowly ,sucked every ounce life of Skib.

Peadear Healy ,I said it many times here ,a great gaa man but he's coaching is limited ,English won the battle hands down , yet English constanly over looked by Cork.

And this myth they cant play football.Complete possesion game,and counter attack at pace ,and a great goal.
    Niall O Mullane 34,superb game,man of the match.The system suits him.Carey,fionn o shea ,superb ,kissane superb game ,at midfield,sweeping back.
    CORK shouldnt get carried away though ,No Cork recall.Not up to new pace of the game.

Superb ,flanagan was midfield ,as was Fitzgeard.No way are they Cork material,but any two them would run Andrew sullivan close .

Ronayne superb,work ethic,cork minor,fine in a game plan suits them.Not free scoring forward ,and Im not sure he is Corks best minor option v kerry ,but he is ideal clyda game plan ,and fine young player.
    O sullivan same,cork u21,a real forager does best work of the ball and without it,great man with turnovers.

Murphy ,and rest forwards score for them ,flanagan had lovely scores ,he was a third midfielder most of the day.

Again Clyda ,put some big clubs to shame .Limited rescources,huge problems every day,always throw shoulder to wheel ,and never complain and over achieve.
    When you hear of the money some club pay expenses to managers,and English gets not a penney,Shows what a gem they have.
    I said it here Thursday,i fancied Clyda.People say its a shock today.It is isnt imo,its just a shock to some,cause they dont judge Clyda as a whole team ,and stlyle makes them judge them as poor ,when there Actually Ultra efficent in what they do.I said even last year draw made,clyda could win this.
    Clyda wont win a county against Haven etc,as haven match every ounce clydas work rate but so much potency in attack,however clyda would put up stubborn resistance.They may catch Nemo ,who at times play as indivudals.Carbery would beat clyda,but it be close.Clyda will do themselves prould in Senior,as most other teams clyda could beat on a given day.If they had the two hurlery type player and collins like haven be a force .

Their near neighbours Mallow,fancy complex etc,do well to replicate that attuide on the field later.
    Mallow ,will have to grit it out ,beat Grenagh.They have the talent,but clyda on high spirits and expect huge crowd grenagh in mourneabbey later ,Mallow have to be top of the game to win that .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭zetecescort

interesting to see Clyda with a big young lad at full forward. Doesn't look like a player who'll score alot but caused trouble anytime they sent in high ball. a bit of variation to the gameplan always helps. thought they played the ball forward abit quicker today than what they did last year.

bar a 10-15 min spell after half time Cyda were well on top and had the luxury of kicking some awful wides, 12 or 13 in total I'd reckon and can't afford that against the better teams.

Haven't seen O'Donavan Rossa play for along time but they were poor for long spells but I dont know if this was a once off poor game from them.

Like I thought and said Saturday ,Grenagh won,and would beat Mallow ,.Today I said Mallow I! said had to have there A game,simply to break down A resilent Grenagh team.

,The same tone ,as the CLYDA game,except Mallow with Loughrey,Cian O Riordain,Herily,ryan harkin,killan o connor etc,had more indvidual talent than Skib ,yet again, Teams win matches at the end of the day.
    Mallow stormed in to the 1st 15 minutes,yet Grenagh,stuck at It,absorved pressure like a sponge and ground it out.It was like a home tie,in Grenagh for them.Yes Mallow is just a drive out the road so to speak,however Grenagh playing in Mourneabbey ,was like a home game,as that terriorty,is Rooted in this small men against big giants kind of mantra and Nothing is impossible to the brave and faithful,akin Munster rubgy in thomond .A lot clyda people would went for Grenagh,simply as Grenagh reperesent same Core Values as Clyda .

The small club,where fight and desire arent words ,you see in there eyes, you can smell it in the scent of there breath when they talk about there teams,the fire in there bellies burns so great ,you come out in a sweat standing within proximity them ,they had it in abundance today,they were feroucis in tackle,want to track back,and the Real club unity ,stood out.

Mallow,same old problems,imo reared surfaced again ,lot of very nice footballers ,but no one stood out for them at crucial times of a game.Grenagh had warriors all over the field.

Mallow have a fine fancy complex,,huge fan of it,up there with if not the best in Munster for club imo.but its like everyone Owns it in a sense,no one is a real part it,in Grenagh and clyda every single person ,involved clubs have lot close people involved,making sambos,jersey etc,theres a real family unity ,and that is transparent as jersey means so much to them.
    Value of clubs jersey when any player wears it means something at any club,but in certain clubs the value is Imperious and above the normal.They appreciate truly what jersey mean in big,games.
    It is immeasurable with them and that Hunger and want , is easy to come by for them on the field.

When I see Mallow,i hope Cork gaa doesnt suffer that same fate,and I fear it could,in that we have a superb complex ,and great aerna ,that people near and far afield Compliment its wonderful existence ,but our Field of Dreams has,no real glory at elite grades with success,to win silverware to line the trophy cabinets with in the inner walls.Cork must ,have sustainable success on the field,as to the grassroots fans,fancy stadiums arent a priority.Success is.Then you build your stadium.

Mallow are doing work at underage,but must do more,lots,lots more to compliment that talent within the club.The talent is there.

Mallow won in 2007 and got to munster final intermediate when Ronan sheehan was the manager.They may, some mallow men believe ,need there own man there.I do believe outside man is what they need,a tough cookie,and dorgan fits that bill.
    But Mick o donovan with ballycough I think fits that bill also and is local,however Aidan Dorgan is a good manager.It will take time For Dorgan to instill Grenaghs ethic to Mallow.

Some big clubs suffer same problems ,as Mallow,Macroom,ballincollig ,st finbarrs ,Mtichelstow,big towns in most cases,huge rescources,suffer big town syndrome and flatter to decieve.
    Im geuinely not being dissresptful to those clubs,just calling it as I view it,and some within in there clubs would admit they should achieve more,Cork minor Selector O dwyer,honest to say that in a paper last year regards Ballincollig.

To be fair Ballincollig,doing great work at underage ,and in time. Should rectify things and Mtichestown, withmorgan are changing.If Mallow,Mtichelstown,Ballincollig,started becoming successful ,it would be superb for Cork GAA,as with the Pick they have,there is huge talent there,and I hope they are succesful.St finbarrs have started in hurling,its a long,long road back them,they must stick with it,and perist with there plan.It won't happen overnight.
    Cork would prosper if city was strong again.

The O neills,Dorgan , ,etc warriors with Grenagh today.Very much a Team victory.

Waterford beat Offaly hurlin 6-23 to 12 points or something like it ,from waterford thread,that as I said would take pinch salt even before game,and that result is good cork in that offaly as I said are so so so poor,waterford will learn nothing. From that game imo ,and they hadnt a test in lead up to our game
    However ,there playing Tipp behind closed doors,Tuesday ,so should get a test.I thought tonight was the last game.

.Talk is Molumphy is fine.I suspected a few of there injuries would heal.Talk was he was out.If he plays ,and waterford go a sweeper,We must Adapt.Tipp play sweeper tuesday id imagine,so Watereford,imo certain play him there.
    They lack fire power though.
    Lawlor played tonight.If he plays 3,simple put Cronin on him.
    Unlike 2010 when Lawlor and four others stuck to Aiskeake like glue,Cork have so many other target men in harnedy ,and Walsh ,They cant do similar.Yes cussen played then ,but ,he is nothing,like What walsh,harnedy has .
    Isolate cronin and lawlor hes beatable,as apparently bergin had lawlor bother tonight.When Cork in the ist game ,drawn 2010,had 15 v 15,as aiskeake proved with splendid goal,lawlor ,is beatable at times.

.As i said, they were beaten by clare friday,so with a weak team ,and 2nd game in 3 days and a team devoid confidence,waterford win is insignifcant in,they done done what youd expect ,as a cork fan I wouldnt loose sleep with it .Yes 6-23 you would admit is great scoring ,but no way even without a full back,they get half that against cork.

Midelton,sars,netown beat offaly at present imo,thats no exaggerion.
    Appartently ,lad ,dunford meant be superb fast as corner forward,by there thread.He's young though,so our lads have too much expierence and battle hardened for him at corner back.

Thats one fear cork havent,fast tight corner backs to mark fast corner forwards.gshane,maccie,conor sul,burke(unlikey to start) ,id have no fear there.Our training is superb ,built on pace,we won't lack pace or Hurling at corner back.

Our problem is deciding who to mark him,we have such a list.The fear I would have is Prengerast if he starts at 14,and he is marked by o neill or Maccie,he will win lot aeral ball and such that he when he turns thems or breaks it ,as we Need a Presence at 3,not just Hurling ,the space we leave with our corner men trying to cover our weakness at 3,that waterford corner forwards become free men.However Cahalane,would nulify Prendergast if both started.
    If walsh starts then ,Cork mix and match.O neill or conor sul mark him.Walsh is more a ,agile full forward than a target man .
    I dont believe waterford have anything up front we cant hold,key is get match ups correct.
    Dont leave cahalane on walsh or shane on prengerast depends who start .

On a bright note,Pat Spillane wants u21 job.Lovley job Pat .I hope he gets it.He isnt up to it,great news he gets it,We dominate another two years.Hope he gets it or Darragh stays .That would be Splendid.

Hes blowing up Cork,saying we will beat them .And kerry have midfield problems,has lot truth in what he said ,re underage and they may have problems at midfield,but there much better than cork if we go with what we had the league .
    Usual stuff,kerry going to comptete be written next few weeks.Cork must take it large pinch of salt.

Overall,imo,a great weekend at club football for the underdog ,and it showed,that character and work ethic ,fundamentally vital in the game,and if you have that at club level,you will at the very least survive in your grade.

Interesting that the best words that Symbolise today imo,are Valerie Mulchay,Corks Heroine ,yesterday,A sub but Player of the Match, said Cork ladies won,as she said they were "stubborn" yesterday
    That essentially was the Story of Grenagh and clyda ,They had that "Stubborness"Great quailty to have.
    That stubborns that just frustrates opponents.

On a day when D Day in the Premership,took centre stage for many ,Simply just imo,Id take Gaa any day of the week,even at club level ,ahead of it,and the enjoyment watching ameatuears ,going to hell and back to win games ,makes the hair stand on my head , like Grenagh and Clyda showed today with great displays.

.To me,in my opinion GAA,is like That Sinead O Connor song ,Nothing compares to you.,on days like today .
    Epic,Epic stuff today and Inter county ,is JUST around the Corner .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭zetecescort

While Clyda and Grenagh had great wins I don't think it's been great for the underdogs. The beatings dished out by the Haven, Nemo and Carbery were very disappointing from a neutral perspective.

While Clyda and Grenagh had great wins I don't think it's been great for the underdogs. The beatings dished out by the Haven, Nemo and Carbery were very disappointing from a neutral perspective.

Whilst I expected Ross to beat Aghada, I was very surprised at the score.

Rosscarbery would have a small pick AFAIK - how come they have produced such a good senior football side ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

Whilst I expected Ross to beat Aghada, I was very surprised at the score.

Rosscarbery would have a small pick AFAIK - how come they have produced such a good senior football side ?

Ross have big numbers at under age as the parish is well populated compared to otherwest cork parishes but I wonder is this their purple patch with talent as they havea bignumber with intercounty experience. The number of one sided games is strange and wasnt as noticeable last year , is it due to emigration.

.Cork beat Dublin by a point hurling challenge,extremley high scoring game ,Cork conceded just one goal,got goal also.
    A game,full of intensity I heard,and a lot got a run out if true..Thats a much better game,than Waterfords insignificant win against offaly.
    Just what the Doctor ordered for Cork.
    The game was meant to go ahead at 7 in gaelic grounds ,but they played in Tippeary.

Yes Nemo,and haven had huge wins etc but there the elite,but still for any club team to score just 1 point and 3 in a game,whatever talent they lack etc, it is really questiontabale work rate ,and spirit. In teams as that is just throwing in the towel to be fair.

Grenagh and clyda werent the only shocks,people didnt give Clon a chance in their game v nicks.Again I fail to logically understand how a team with Kirwan isnt given a chance.

Its not that skib were that bad,more there a football team,but Clyda ,sucked the air out of then,and made them flat,as clyda were so good,simply,didnt allow skib play.
    And throw in Engilsh factor which is massive,there a serious team.
    Skib were flying in the league,5/6.
    The hype went in to overdive ,and Healys Influence greatly overexaggerated imo.

There is games of open football,skib win.
    However,Simply to beat Clyda ,you must win the battle,forget bout fancy free and footloose fooball,fist and foremost.
    Do that,then and only then can your superior indivudal talents take over and you beat them.You must win with the 50/50 battles with Clyda and play a full game,not just play blitzes,like ten or 15 minute spell.

They are the reasons aso why Carbery,Haven,Nemo would simply beat clyda,is they have under Guidance of Stephen O Brien(same values as manager he had as player ,honesty,work ethic,understands what nemo means to him),Haven are the Same,Work ethic is Phenomal,and Carbery with Gene ,is the same.
    They match clyda work rate,and then have superior forwards like Barry o driscoll,connolly (remain to be convinced in close games),etc to win in Nemos case,In havens case,Hurley brothers with Collins conducting ,and Carbery with Canty ,Deane,Alan o connor,sexton,instill same work ethic but Sugrue ,and O driscolls give them potency up front,in particular with Brian.

Carbery are what I hear , are going to time there run perfectly as the year goes on.Duhallow would be another team that will go a long way ,
    And if they met clyda,with English in charge of both teams,it be some match,as both teams are so so similar.
    What may sway it for Duhallow is the likes of the Walsh brothers,Ian up front,Donnacha , may be with them etc.

They have similar players ,in Lorchan ,John mcloughlin,Aj o connor that clyda have in fitzgerald,mullance,flanagan etc,in wouldnt be intercounty ,but superb club men in there own way ,as the system English plays means they have less space to defend and plays to there strengths.

English Duhallow are simply a clyda team with a bigger pick ,and Duhallow and Carbery are two divisional teams you can identify a real club ethos within the core group.

Muskerry ,win over ucc raised eybrows,however ,when push comes to shove,i remain to be convinced as they are a team ,and not just indivdauls talent .In im not sure they are as resilent or resoulte as Duhallow or Carbery Divisonal teams yet.

Oleary,Gould,kiely would make a super half back line and Laoire and possibly Peter Kelliher in the middle,they are strong.If David Gould got fit,and Goulding ,was on form ,they have forwards ,but they are unconvingly at times,win games you wouldnt expect them to win,and quite easily loose game,they shouldnt .
    I want to see more consistenty before I believe there that good.

Castlowne bere and Mallow is tough game to call,castletown bere resilence imo is better than mallow .They play as a team ,even though there limited,they could win.

As for Roscarbery having a small pick , that isnt a suprise really they do good,as again they have a real club ethos,back to the wall ,mantra and always give 100 per cent.Tyrone ex player Sean Mcloughlin who was with them before as manager,instilled that Tyrone work ethic in them.

Castlehaven when they played them few years ago struggled to put them away and beat them by 6 points .They beat St Finbarr last year.In truth ,they shouldnt be beating Barrs ,in rescources but again Barrs dont make use there talent,RosCarbery get every inch out of theres.Problems with them and small clubs,is only surfaced when they get to the knockout they really struggle pick wise but with there small pick,they deserve huge credit from being compeitve throughout the year and staying up.And to keep working at underage is the key for them.
    Haven proved that ,it pays off.

That always amazed me with John hayes,how ,he never brought that club inner steely resolve ,and resilence to hes game at intercounty,as talent was never a problem and is not with him and Cork.

A lot of the small clubs arent born with a silver spoon in there mouth so to speak ,always fighting to for survival off the field also ,and they bring that fight of survival to the field when they play .
    Good management is also the key to small clubs,as with limited Rescources,they must have Managers that understand how to get the best out of them .

Grenagh,clyda,Roscarbery had that ,credit due in management.Other clubs have lots talent ,poor managers in comparison though.
    Haven bridged the gap ,down to outsanding work at underage and top top management and a huge work ethic of and on the field.
    Newtownshandrum had it in hurling,and with Liam ryan in charge,building again and they havent gone away.Huge work at underage they do .

These clubs deserve immense credit,yet Like Clyda ,and Particulary Newtown ,some people still refuse to give them credit,and worse again blame Newtown style as downfall cork hurling which is complete rubbish and but for that style ,cork wouldnt won an all ireland since 1999.IF other clubs had similar resolve and work newtown had,with bigger picks they would be unstoppable.

Midelton,deserve huge credit for there work at schools,u15,16 etc,then club minor ,u21 and senior and are utilsing large pick they have and thats why won senior ,work paid off.They are a credit to Cork.
    Douglas are doing similar now.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭seventh7

Cork underage squads named for the summer tournaments.

Delighted to see Harrington, Aherne, Deasy and company named on the u16 hurling squads, Shane O'Driscoll has been named on the football and hurling panel. The Blackrock duo of Ross Coleman and John O' Sullivan do not appear on the list. Nathan walsh from Douglas is another notable absence from the hurling squad but he is named on the football panel. I would have thought they would have made the extended squad, but I am not the manager so I will trust the Rock on this one. Best of luck to all the boys. Corcaigh abu

• Advertisement

http://www.rebelog.ie/news/316911/Cork_Rebel_Og_U14_U15_U16_U17_Squads_are_named

Delighted with those squads overall
    That lad kilworth ,i was on about a few weeks ago,i had spelt the name wrong (sage)its saic,jeremy saich,am delighted he made it.
    Meant to be sum talent ,absoulte gem of a hurler ,and he, I think comes from a dancing background,very nimble and balanced footwork.
    A huge addition to the u 16s.

Delighted harraington,and ahern made it.
    Said I was at u14 match other day and I mentioned connor russell douglas on a beaten team,was class,hitting points from 60 yards that good that young and I mentioned young sheehan mallow,top top talent in that game.No suprise he is there.Russell is a dual player,made the football also.

I thought ,kabia douglas would make football the u14 panel in football and o sullivan u14 mallow hurling full back make it,but id say they were close calls and could feature down the line

The minor cork panel hurling has called up a few new players also

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement