Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

Brutal

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

Lads, he was all star material a few years ago and has been a great servant for us, but christ above i wouldnt have Pa Cronin on the panel, let alone starting 15. He's been woeful for 2 years now. Akin to the last year or 2 of John Gardiner's career when we all wanted him dropped. Zero leadership today from him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,882 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Cometh the hour cometh the man, Patrick Horgan pulled Cork back from 9 points down, ably assisted by a dream debut from Cadogan. Lehane had some shocking wides, Cronin was brutal....absolutely brutal. Not too impressed with the ref either, Cadogan was clearly Sat On at the 70th min mark, no free given and Waterford scored.
    Lots of lessons to be learned. Our fitness was certainly an advantage in the last 15.
    No harm having another game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

Thank god it was Waterford we got in our first championship game, if that was Clare we were playing we could have been 15 points down at half-time.

The replay shouldn't do us any harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Cork lucky today. I think the All-Ireland finalists will stroll through the replay. Waterford missed a massive chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭mr bungle.

Thought that the ref was cat

• Registered Users Posts: 16,028 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Neeson wrote: »
    Cork lucky today. I think the All-Ireland finalists will stroll through the replay. Waterford missed a massive chance.

We said the same about Dublin and Kilkenny last year. Fitness cost Waterford today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

When is the replay??

.E_C_K_S. wrote: »
    When is the replay??

Next Saturday night I think

EDIT: Looks like I was wrong, see below :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭bennyl10

@rtegaa: Cork and Waterford replay set for Sunday 8 June in Semple Stadium. That leaves just seven days before the winner faces Clare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Haunted draw

Report later but thats woeful woeful result,a depleted waterford team we couldnt beat.
    The Cork media and ex pundits must be honest and truthful in assement and Management Must get Criticised for Tactical shambles that it was.Jbm is a hero ,but is not as some think Immune from criticism.

Mcdonnell ,epic aweswnmoely ,and jesus chr**st please leave the lad at corner or half now ,as he was like I said superb in the corner.
    Lorchan was superb as sweeper.

Cahalane solid.

Cooper I have always,always said ,im a huge fan,he was superb.
    I said at half time to bring him on and it would turn the game.It did.
    Horgan was superb,but he had a huge influence in the game.

Turned the game.Got to start replay .Hes goal was bravery personifed put a head where many wouldnt put a boot in.He and mcdonnell turned the match for us.
    He won lots ball and always laid a simple pass.Unlike some ,he didnt go missing.Raw like niall mac 2002,is going to get better.Cian shocking,management 125 per cent wrong picking him ,and he musnt play again .

Cronin isnt a 12,hasnt the legs,14 or nowhere.

How cooper he wasnt in league panel is poor reflection management.
    Cian like I said isnt up to it.Musnt play again .I dont blame him ,i blame jbm now he starts .
    Cadogan magnificent ,doesnt suprise me.i said in october he had to join the team.

Harnedy ist time ever didnt get above two points but ,he must start at half forward and looked injured.
    Ellis I am not a fan,but he was solid today hurled a lot crisp ball to the forwards.Joyce was solid.
    I worry bout pace at 6 but ellis be fair,credit due fine game.

Replay next sunday clare game two weeks later thurles now fun starts with dualism

Today is awful result for hurling and football.

Waterford be stronger next wk,we should win only if jbm goes away from the tactical ignorance of refusing play a sweeper and the blined loyalty to cian ,then we can win.Jbm is my hero ,always will be,but must evolve new game or were going nowhere .

NO excuses,ist game rubbish or we had a few out,today was a shambles and tactially we were well beaten.
    Jbm must accept ,tactials crucial to modern game .

The league being against piss poor opponents with respect to them ,came back and bite us in the a** today as again we were way of the pace.
    You must test lads against top 6.
    Waterford will suffer next year in that divison.Credit due,fine performance,glesson great player,didnt think he would do it so early.

Lehane awful,blame management,as hes moved from pillar to post.Must start at 10 stay at 10 or else dont play the lad.That simple.

Lawton deserved the chance,was poor,thats it for me,had numerous chances not up to it.
    Cooper had hes chance took it ,and as play at 9 or 10.11,12 is ahead lawton,cian and huahney now.

I cant fathom how walsh was critcised,solid ist half,super sideline,always tracked back,thundered in 2nd half ,created 3 scores goal chance cadogan and won lots ball.He will get better.

Cadogan was awesome,said in october he would start for cork.Said it during the week he be fine.
    He would be much better in a two man inside line with lots of space to exploit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Haunted draw

Report later but thats woeful woeful result,a depleted waterford team we couldnt beat.
    The Cork media and ex pundits must be honest and truthful in assement and Management Must get Criticised for Tactical shambles that it was.Jbm is a hero ,but is not as some think Immune from criticism.

Mcdonnell ,epic aweswnmoely ,and jesus chr**st please leave the lad at corner or half now ,as he was like I said superb in the corner.
    Lorchan was superb as sweeper.

Cahalane solid.

Cooper I have always,always said ,im a huge fan,he was superb.
    I said at half time to bring him on and it would turn the game.It did.
    Horgan was superb,but he had a huge influence in the game.

Turned the game.Got to start replay .Hes goal was bravery personifed put a head where many wouldnt put a boot in.He and mcdonnell turned the match for us.
    He won lots ball and always laid a simple pass.Unlike some ,he didnt go missing.Raw like niall mac 2002,is going to get better.Cian shocking,management 125 per cent wrong picking him ,and he musnt play again .

Cronin isnt a 12,hasnt the legs,14 or nowhere.

How cooper he wasnt in league panel is poor reflection management.
    Cian like I said isnt up to it.Musnt play again .I dont blame him ,i blame jbm now he starts .
    Cadogan magnificent ,doesnt suprise me.i said in october he had to join the team.

Harnedy ist time ever didnt get above two points but ,he must start at half forward and looked injured.
    Ellis I am not a fan,but he was solid today hurled a lot crisp ball to the forwards.Joyce was solid.
    I worry bout pace at 6 but ellis be fair,credit due fine game.

Replay next sunday clare game two weeks later thurles now fun starts with dualism

Today is awful result for hurling and football.

Waterford be stronger next wk,we should win only if jbm goes away from the tactical ignorance of refusing play a sweeper and the blined loyalty to cian ,then we can win.Jbm is my hero ,always will be,but must evolve new game or were going nowhere .

NO excuses,ist game rubbish or we had a few out,today was a shambles and tactially we were well beaten.
    Jbm must accept ,tactials crucial to modern game .

The league being against piss poor opponents with respect to them ,came back and bite us in the a** today as again we were way of the pace.
    You must test lads against top 6.
    Waterford will suffer next year in that divison.Credit due,fine performance,glesson great player,didnt think he would do it so early.

Lehane awful,blame management,as hes moved from pillar to post.Must start at 10 stay at 10 or else dont play the lad.That simple.

Lawton deserved the chance,was poor,thats it for me,had numerous chances not up to it.
    Cooper had hes chance took it ,and as play at 9 or 10.11,12 is ahead lawton,cian and huahney now.

I cant fathom how walsh was critcised,solid ist half,super sideline,always tracked back,thundered in 2nd half ,created 3 scores goal chance cadogan and won lots ball.He will get better.

Cadogan was awesome,said in october he would start for cork.Said it during the week he be fine.
    He would be much better in a two man inside line with lots of space to exploit.

Replay in sunday 2 weeks, with clare the week after.

Great win for the Intermediates,3 down at Crucial time,great heart,and Desire ,and big lads like Michael sul,Cormac Murphy,Colm spillane sub,Peter o brien and majestic mick walsh.

I said cork would win ,and they were well prepared.
    This intermediate team Had a good work out against kk in a challege match.
    They were,and well coached.Again I say there is at at least Munster in them
    Full back line was awful,sullivan injury didnt help but Spillane has to go 3 next day .
    He had great game half forward ,ball winning,raw aggression and no nonense hurling means he will get a senior recall again.
    Murphy who had great game mallow v ballyhea ,had super game,and is fringes senior.He was thunderous and Simplictiy Personfied.

Kelly had good game,cronin super forager and covered lot ground.
    Wall was okay,casey very good.
    Good win and 1-22 some scoring,shore up back and they beat clare.
    Waterford with power,donnelly lot u21 lads and fine hurlers ,and will beat cork at u21 who what I hear if true ,prepartions are miles off, challenges I saw cork even win v clare were poor ,and Pa callaghan absence is huge .
    Beyond belief he is likey sit out the u21 game if its true
    So good he wanted by jbm,he declined himself for now for senior ,but is able for u21.

If true I hear another huge key player having isues u21 set up and unkown if he will play with them.
    If that is true cork are without two key men.
    And add in a 3rd whos injured.

I find it ironic ,that pat kenneally gave interview yesterday regards club game kilbrittain necestown.
    He made valid points at times but imo,he would do well to get hes own house in order before he proclaims himself as an expert on all cork matters.

For a man that loves the paper and radio,he was a great manager to go absent without leave,in no interview after minor loss last year ,yet he was on the radio every day nearly after a overhyped win ,against a poor poor clare team in cork.
    All imo hes doing is raising hes profile,as he wants the senior job next and is a leading contender,and whatever happens at u21 as with minor ,excuses be made for him and no questions asked ,when the u21 becomes a shambles .
    That game isnt far away now at all.

Last night Mallow ,just like the football flattered to decieve,lot indivaual talents,luttrell,hayes,murphy,killan o connor,herihly all at various grades intercounty standard,just cant play as a team.I would love mallow to get there house in order as they have superb young players
    Mallow were without a few,no excuse though,as you would drive through ballyea in the blink of an eye,very small pick yet mallow,classic big town syndrome again,in huge pick,huge rescources yet can't be succesful.The game was theres for the taking ,at half time ,but they couldnt push on.

A lot of there lads were on the football two weeks ago,thats two huge defeats to the underdog and confidence is low ,and I cant see how they were favs yesterday and to win the county football outright there favourites,they wont even come close to it,do well beat casltetown bere imo
    Ronan and pa callaghan good for ballyea.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭sean mac

Lads management got it badly badly wrong from the start. Startingt with cian mac and Cronin in the half forward line was a disaster and Waterford dominated at half back. Cronin has been off form for a long time now in fairness. Cadogan flying it, horgan brilliant when required, lehane a superb talent but needs to look up and play for the team; coaching? harnedy will never be as quite again. Thgouth ellis did fine at centre back and cahalane likewise. Kearney another whose form is terrible this year.
    I believe cork should win the replay but looking at management make no change until half time when they were getting destroyed in the first half was worrying.
    Don't know where the team is tbh, certain players have definitely gone back from last year, perhaps the league didn't help and they will come into it.
    A terrible indictment of the niceness still in this team that Waterford scored the goal they got, again where is the aggression and bitterness?
    All this result does today is totally **** up the club championship and ensure that the dual players will play every weekend between now and the back holiday weekend in august with club/county.
    Does anyone know was egan injured or simply dropped for eoin cadogan on the panel today?

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Replay in sunday 2 weeks, with clare the week after.

Huge ask for cork to play two intense games two weeks as dual players have football commitments and we dont want injurys lead up to clare game

That game clare has got harder after today

Clare way they train wont be undercooked for that game should we win

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,882 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Huge ask for cork to play two intense games two weeks as dual players have football commitments and we dont want injurys lead up to clare game

That game clare has got harder after today

Clare way they train wont be undercooked for that game should we win

Disagree that the Claire game has got harder. The extra game will be of huge benefit - if we win, which I think we will. Clare haven't played in quite some time, whereas it will be our 3rd. Games are exactly what we need. Imagine today's performance against Clare, we'd be wiped out. Our staring 15 will be different and positional changes for certain that can only be to our advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭corkrobinhood

Cian Mac and Patrick Cronin,yet again not delivering for Cork,I dont think Cronin is good in any position.

Harnedy had a flu coming into the game,never got going,Lehane was very poor shooting but you know he'll come good again.

Stepehen McDonell was outstanding,thought Ellis played very well,as did Walshie and Cadogan,he showed and won some great balls.

Just my opinion but Cork look an average team with zero gameplan,if they keep playing like that their gonna get destroyed in some game,possibly against Clare if they win the replay.

Sean ,harnedy and egan both had knocks what I heard if true.
    My heart goes out to Mick walsh,cormac murphy,outstanding today in the ist game yet cant get a panel place,for a man who has no hurling done

Nash-soild,excellent puck outs,
    Shane-quite,but last 20 thundered in to the game
    Cahalane-wasnt tested with two man line,still solid,and efficent
    Put in one huge hit,unfairly penalised imo by refree.Of the ball watching lad,you could see huge difference with him and others in that he always stayed closed to the square and commanded those around him.

Maccie-pace,grit,hurling ,superb.All the same ,what a difference playing a lad in hes best best postiton can do.The confidence he had was easy to see-compare the lad today to the wexford league game for example at full back.Two completly different hurlers.Wonderful display,deserves immense credit.
    With Lorchan,cadogan ,and to a lesser extent Walsh corks contenders for man of the match,as played for all of the match.

Lorchan-superb,won lots breaking ball and real grit .Got to stay there
    Ellis-physical,lovely passing,harshly penalised 3 frees ,hungry for it ,good game.Take my hat of the lad.However I have concerns re pace and glesson burned him,and walsh who was miles of ellis in starting run,managed to get closer when he had goal .
    Could work in a sweeper system.
    Joyce great game,hurled lot ball.

Kearney,-poor,but he be fine ,he has it.
    Walsh- superb,solid ist half ,superb 2nd half.yes touch at times,poor,nash puckout to him he fumbled one example.
    However he had a real energy,drive,leadership ,and great rums ,two super catches half back line ist half.lad was everywhere in fairness.

Lehane-awful,has nothing to do with coaching,in skills etc ,has more to do with played ,10,11,14 etc ,he cant settle.Confidence being ruined.
    Remember keith earls came on the scence rubgy,next gdm.However played 11.14,centre ,then full back with lions,never settled ,and became jack all trades ,and mastered none and is just patch on what could been.

Lehane be keith earls cork hurling.Hasnt the maturity ,discpilne play 14 or 13,he will later on down the years,but so much energy,pace,enthuisim,like a durcell battery,he Must play at 10 and use hes instinct to roam in etc.
    Cork arent short full forward in heavens sake .Its sad to see such a talent playing with zero confidence.

Cian mac-woeful.I dont blame,i feel for the lad,management surely see mobilty is huge problem and in a croweded sweeper waterford style he had no mobilty to move to space.
    Must be at least 5th game now couldnt last game .Was awful 35 played.

Cronin,is no good in crowded aera and again 14 or no where.
    Captian yes,but not immune to being dropped.If tommy walsh isnt immune to it,cronin isnt.start at 14 .

Cadogan-superb,speed,hunger,hurling,fast hands,ruhless and wait til he plays croker,he be another ten per cent him .Got 3 great points ,made 3 ,unlucky goal chance.
    Could be young player of the year if cork get a run .

Harnedy ,-never be that quiet again,he should been at 11 as could sat down,made a cake ,eaten it ,had cup tea,such was the time he had in got no ball for long periods.

Horgan-superb frees ,great last 20,when went to the centre and was real leader.

Moylan -great energy,worked hard as sub,dont start lad,better sub.
    Lawton-poor no excuse .Cant get chance after chance.

Cooper-,superb.Lost year to rubgy and back injurys ,he was superb,winning ball,pressing waterford backs,ran of the ball,when had it in croweded aeras had intellganece lay simple hand pass.
    Rubgy has made him appreciate space.
    Bravery with goal.Done simple thing well.Had shrewd awarness when in square ,after horgan ist shot saved,move back out ,then go back in like A rud van nisteroy goal poacher .
    Raw yes,games and games,this guy will sharpen up.Superb attiude,and warrior.Great and vital as with walsh at 9 ,and Cian and cronin not viable alternatives .

A great read ,yesterday echo,dereak daly had superb article,everything I feel regards cork he said.
    Cahalane he said could be a 3 ,dualism going to hinder It though,but our best option and shane o neill isnt a full back.
    He said cork stil go traditional 6-2-6 formation,and traditionalists laud that ,yet in hes words the question has to be asked is this a realistic policy in the modern era and if cork had 3 man half back line protected a sweeper ,with two noimal midfielders sitting in front of them cork full back line be better protected. And stop clare and waterford running at them.

He made a point ,valid it was, cork rob peter to pay paul.We loose potency attack,5 up front,but said it works if like I always said ,two man inside ,win your own ball ,and cadogan as he said is one.
    Imo cronin /horgan is the second man inside.

He said walsh would be similar michael fennelly ,kilkenny.In time he is going to be right.Walsh was unlucky he hadnt a goal,but will get a goal for cork,i dont doubt this year .He said midfield be fine .

He said the sweeper system is unlikey to be implemented by Cork
    Anytime soon ,and that todays game wouldnt streatch us but clare kk real tests.

He,like myself were wrong in that we both thought cork should still had enough to win,but couldnt,but it Emphatised how the sweeper system,with a weak team ,couldnt be simply broken down .

Serious,serious questions must be asked cork managaement.Yes all them heroes on the field,jbm is Mr Cork gaa ,and he is a Legend but doesnt mean as manager of cork,we cant simply on the field of play criticise hes tactics ,when clear as day against tipp league,and now today,against limerick and laois league our tactics were awful.
    Germans criticsed Franz beckanbuer in the past ,Kilkenny would criticicse cody ,Jose Mourinho is criticised by some in chelsa.Wenger was in Arsenal.
    Its nothing personal but ,management got it Wrong today.No point in saying otherwise .

Bertie troy philshophy of keep the slitohar moving,seek it there ,but find it never in the one place for any length of time ,that jbm is fan of and won 95 minor 99 senior ,beat cats dub last year,Simply Wont work in sweeper system .
    If cork dont evolve to the new system,tipp,clare,waterford next day beat us.

We will only beat Limerick,simply as there gone back to 1973 up the joxer style,our style is direct but more varied thanlimerick and unlike limerick with tj ryan,jbm can get cork lads win that system.

Dublin wouldnt beat cork.
    Wexford in a qualifer be tricky in wexford with a sweeper.We would beat laois,but would struggle.

Yet we have superior coaches,players.Hence the system is wrong.Change it for replay,and gives us game get ready clare,but playing them week later far from ideal.

My team replay
    Nash
    O neill
    Cahahalne
    Sullivian
    Maccie
    Ellis
    Joyce
    Kearney
    Lorchan(drops as sweeper)
    Walsh(drops to midfield)
    harnedy
    cooper
    Lehane(named at 13,starts stays at 10.
    horgan
    cadogan
    Just two men inside the full forward line.If you play a team with 15 v 15 you change it accoridingly .
    You dont wait 35 minutes to take cian off ,when its quite clear to all he hadnt hurled good in the ist twenty minutes .

Tough call drop cronin but horgan and cad win own ball.Cronin be ist sub if needs be at full forward.

Sham id have grave concerns that we will make changes for the next two game regards style of play.

It has taken management 3 years to realise maccie isnt a 3,has given cian start after sub standard league games and cronin at 12 and perists with lehane moving all over the shop.

Most cork problems ,i have raised game after game in league.
    At last sorted full back ,credit due.
    They be fair proved me wrong with ellis but I would fear tony kelly up against him,thats why must play a sweeper.

Clare training,i would recommend any body watch them.This isnt a puck around,its real intense 35 aprox lads ,majority as good each other ,hell leather in a v b games.Ive seen them many times train ,no way they be undercooked.
    Short games,real intensity,then training drills,game again etc.

And there on grass now ,flying and a lot is being done behind closed doors training wise.
    The problem with cork is not or wont be fitness wise,matthews superb trainer,no worries there.
    The problem is getting minds head right up for what be two epic battle within a week.Also walsh ,cahalane far from ideal ,and if we get injuries just week clear up ,so while our hurling be sharper ,lot of concerns with that game.
    Just my opinion but the game a week before clare is a dissaster.Might got away with it if it was next week.
    Huge ask turnaround week ,as waterford have a few lads fit and confidence up push us to the wire .

Sean ,harnedy and egan both had knocks what I heard if true.
    My heart goes out to Mick walsh,cormac murphy,outstanding today in the ist game yet cant get a panel place,for a man who has no hurling done

Nash-soild,excellent puck outs,
    Shane-quite,but last 20 thundered in to the game
    Cahalane-wasnt tested with two man line,still solid,and efficent
    Put in one huge hit,unfairly penalised imo by refree.Of the ball watching lad,you could see huge difference with him and others in that he always stayed closed to the square and commanded those around him.

Maccie-pace,grit,hurling ,superb.All the same ,what a difference playing a lad in hes best best postiton can do.The confidence he had was easy to see-compare the lad today to the wexford league game for example at full back.Two completly different hurlers.Wonderful display,deserves immense credit.
    With Lorchan,cadogan ,and to a lesser extent Walsh corks contenders for man of the match,as played for all of the match.

Lorchan-superb,won lots breaking ball and real grit .Got to stay there
    Ellis-physical,lovely passing,harshly penalised 3 frees ,hungry for it ,good game.Take my hat of the lad.However I have concerns re pace and glesson burned him,and walsh who was miles of ellis in starting run,managed to get closer when he had goal .
    Could work in a sweeper system.
    Joyce great game,hurled lot ball.

Kearney,-poor,but he be fine ,he has it.
    Walsh- superb,solid ist half ,superb 2nd half.yes touch at times,poor,nash puckout to him he fumbled one example.
    However he had a real energy,drive,leadership ,and great rums ,two super catches half back line ist half.lad was everywhere in fairness.

Lehane-awful,has nothing to do with coaching,in skills etc ,has more to do with played ,10,11,14 etc ,he cant settle.Confidence being ruined.
    Remember keith earls came on the scence rubgy,next gdm.However played 11.14,centre ,then full back with lions,never settled ,and became jack all trades ,and mastered none and is just patch on what could been.

Lehane be keith earls cork hurling.Hasnt the maturity ,discpilne play 14 or 13,he will later on down the years,but so much energy,pace,enthuisim,like a durcell battery,he Must play at 10 and use hes instinct to roam in etc.
    Cork arent short full forward in heavens sake .Its sad to see such a talent playing with zero confidence.

Cian mac-woeful.I dont blame,i feel for the lad,management surely see mobilty is huge problem and in a croweded sweeper waterford style he had no mobilty to move to space.
    Must be at least 5th game now couldnt last game .Was awful 35 played.

Cronin,is no good in crowded aera and again 14 or no where.
    Captian yes,but not immune to being dropped.If tommy walsh isnt immune to it,cronin isnt.start at 14 .

Cadogan-superb,speed,hunger,hurling,fast hands,ruhless and wait til he plays croker,he be another ten per cent him .Got 3 great points ,made 3 ,unlucky goal chance.
    Could be young player of the year if cork get a run .

Harnedy ,-never be that quiet again,he should been at 11 as could sat down,made a cake ,eaten it ,had cup tea,such was the time he had in got no ball for long periods.

Horgan-superb frees ,great last 20,when went to the centre and was real leader.

Moylan -great energy,worked hard as sub,dont start lad,better sub.
    Lawton-poor no excuse .Cant get chance after chance.

Cooper-,superb.Lost year to rubgy and back injurys ,he was superb,winning ball,pressing waterford backs,ran of the ball,when had it in croweded aeras had intellganece lay simple hand pass.
    Rubgy has made him appreciate space.
    Bravery with goal.Done simple thing well.Had shrewd awarness when in square ,after horgan ist shot saved,move back out ,then go back in like A rud van nisteroy goal poacher .
    Raw yes,games and games,this guy will sharpen up.Superb attiude,and warrior.Great and vital as with walsh at 9 ,and Cian and cronin not viable alternatives .

A great read ,yesterday echo,dereak daly had superb article,everything I feel regards cork he said.
    Cahalane he said could be a 3 ,dualism going to hinder It though,but our best option and shane o neill isnt a full back.
    He said cork stil go traditional 6-2-6 formation,and traditionalists laud that ,yet in hes words the question has to be asked is this a realistic policy in the modern era and if cork had 3 man half back line protected a sweeper ,with two noimal midfielders sitting in front of them cork full back line be better protected. And stop clare and waterford running at them.

He made a point ,valid it was, cork rob peter to pay paul.We loose potency attack,5 up front,but said it works if like I always said ,two man inside ,win your own ball ,and cadogan as he said is one.
    Imo cronin /horgan is the second man inside.

He said walsh would be similar michael fennelly ,kilkenny.In time he is going to be right.Walsh was unlucky he hadnt a goal,but will get a goal for cork,i dont doubt this year .He said midfield be fine .

He said the sweeper system is unlikey to be implemented by Cork
    Anytime soon ,and that todays game wouldnt streatch us but clare kk real tests.

He,like myself were wrong in that we both thought cork should still had enough to win,but couldnt,but it Emphatised how the sweeper system,with a weak team ,couldnt be simply broken down .

Serious,serious questions must be asked cork managaement.Yes all them heroes on the field,jbm is Mr Cork gaa ,and he is a Legend but doesnt mean as manager of cork,we cant simply on the field of play criticise hes tactics ,when clear as day against tipp league,and now today,against limerick and laois league our tactics were awful.
    Germans criticsed Franz beckanbuer in the past ,Kilkenny would criticicse cody ,Jose Mourinho is criticised by some in chelsa.Wenger was in Arsenal.
    Its nothing personal but ,management got it Wrong today.No point in saying otherwise .

Bertie troy philshophy of keep the slitohar moving,seek it there ,but find it never in the one place for any length of time ,that jbm is fan of and won 95 minor 99 senior ,beat cats dub last year,Simply Wont work in sweeper system .
    If cork dont evolve to the new system,tipp,clare,waterford next day beat us.

We will only beat Limerick,simply as there gone back to 1973 up the joxer style,our style is direct but more varied thanlimerick and unlike limerick with tj ryan,jbm can get cork lads win that system.

Dublin wouldnt beat cork.
    Wexford in a qualifer be tricky in wexford with a sweeper.We would beat laois,but would struggle.

Yet we have superior coaches,players.Hence the system is wrong.Change it for replay,and gives us game get ready clare,but playing them week later far from ideal.

My team replay
    Nash
    O neill
    Cahahalne
    Sullivian
    Maccie
    Ellis
    Joyce
    Kearney
    Lorchan(drops as sweeper)
    Walsh(drops to midfield)
    harnedy
    cooper
    Lehane(named at 13,starts stays at 10.
    horgan
    cadogan
    Just two men inside the full forward line.If you play a team with 15 v 15 you change it accoridingly .
    You dont wait 35 minutes to take cian off ,when its quite clear to all he hadnt hurled good in the ist twenty minutes .

Tough call drop cronin but horgan and cad win own ball.Cronin be ist sub if needs be at full forward.

Sham id have grave concerns that we will make changes for the next two game regards style of play.

It has taken management 3 years to realise maccie isnt a 3,has given cian start after sub standard league games and cronin at 12 and perists with lehane moving all over the shop.

Most cork problems ,i have raised game after game in league.
    At last sorted full back ,credit due.
    They be fair proved me wrong with ellis but I would fear tony kelly up against him,thats why must play a sweeper.

Clare training,i would recommend any body watch them.This isnt a puck around,its real intense 35 aprox lads ,majority as good each other ,hell leather in a v b games.Ive seen them many times train ,no way they be undercooked.
    Short games,real intensity,then training drills,game again etc.

And there on grass now ,flying and a lot is being done behind closed doors training wise.
    The problem with cork is not or wont be fitness wise,matthews superb trainer,no worries there.
    The problem is getting minds head right up for what be two epic battle within a week.Also walsh ,cahalane far from ideal ,and if we get injuries just week clear up ,so while our hurling be sharper ,lot of concerns with that game.
    Just my opinion but the game a week before clare is a dissaster.Might got away with it if it was next week.
    Huge ask turnaround week ,as waterford have a few lads fit and confidence up push us to the wire .

I couldn't even understand most of that.. :confused:

No offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭sean mac

TTM, its incredible that after the all Ireland finals we are where we are. Once again a player waltzes thru the cork defence for a goal; is there any other county where that goal would have been conceded? would waterfords spine of brick and walsh allowed it?
    It was incredible to me that management were so slow to make changes, a full half of getting destroyed before a change and Cronin still on into the 2nd half!
    Cork have the forwards to operate with a sweeper imo, harnedy, cooper, hoggie and cadogan have the pace and ability to win the ball, cork need to help out their defence more.
    I agree with most of your ratings, but outside of the vital interception I thought shane oneill was poor again, once again nash had no ability to alter his puck outs. I have no doubt cadogan will paly in the half back line the next day with the excellent mcloughlin pushed into midfield for Kearney who has been poor all year and really struggles physically, Cooper will start for cian mac but a traditionalist like jbm will be very reluctant to drop his captain.
    As for lehane, brilliant skill, but he is too selfish, needs to look up more.

• Advertisement

Hotale.com wrote: »

No offence.

You kinda get used to it.

I hate rumours,and inside fighting,but heard from 2 different sources today,neither connected,that there was a big bust up between management during the week,Kingston and Crowley on one side and JBM and Seanie McGrath on the other,over team selection.

Thats not going to help the cause at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

No offence.

He's from the deep Wesht.

I hate rumours,and inside fighting,but heard from 2 different sources today,neither connected,that there was a big bust up between management during the week,Kingston and Crowley on one side and JBM and Seanie McGrath on the other,over team selection.

Last thing we need.

Last thing we need.

100% agree,JBM wouldnt be the easiest man to get along with ive heard,but rows wont help us win anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

Watching Sunday Game... cadogan shouldve went for goal early on. Likewise would've liked to see Nash take that 21 yard free before half time. Dont understand the logic

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭dring

whatever about tactics the most disappointing aspect was the lack of intensity, of course great credit to Waterford but we looked disinterested and even having made up eight of the nine point deficit in around 15 mins still lacked the wherewithall to see the game out in the final 10. I dont think Ive ever seen a Kilkenny team play with such an attitude in a championship game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

is the club championship going ahead next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

Is there a fifth selector?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I'd be one of the strongest defenders of this Cork team, but today they were very poor for a long period of the game. I'm very disappointed with the effort and we really need to learn from that or we will not be getting anywhere.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement