Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Amprodude wrote: »
    Good win. Now we must show Clare that last year was a once off for them.

If you are talking about the Munster semi final last year then thats fine by me :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

dzilla wrote: »
    Ball is lifted its in play. I was looking at rule book at halftime and cant find a anything illegal about what SOK did

Absolutely false

If that reasoning a player could do what SOK did before any free. That is also outlawed by rule

4.16 B For any of the three players defending a
    penalty on the goal-line to move nearer than
    20m to the ball before the ball is struck.
    PENALTY - If a goal is not scored, the
    referee shall allow the penalty puck to be
    retaken.

Referee should have awarded re-take

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Absolutely false

If that reasoning a player could do what SOK did before any free. That is also outlawed by rule

retaken.

Well it was a joke of a decision by the ref then!

Yes it was

You go back to all ireland final and we should have had re-take when Clare goalie came off line as well

4.17 (a) For an opposing player to be nearer than 20m
    to the ball before a free puck is struck.

PENALTY FOR THE ABOVE FOULS - Free
    puck 13m more advantageous than the
    place of original puck - up to opponents’
    20m line.

In that case another free in

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Yes it was

You go back to all ireland final and we should have had re-take when Clare goalie came off line as well

4.17 (a) For an opposing player to be nearer than 20m
    to the ball before a free puck is struck.

PENALTY FOR THE ABOVE FOULS - Free
    puck 13m more advantageous than the
    place of original puck - up to opponents’
    20m line.

In that case another free in

But sure by that logic, Nash coming to the 14, the players cannot possibly be 20m away from the ball when struck - he is breaking the rule regarding deliberately advancing the ball from where the free was awarded 4.25. Free puck is from the 20m line, not from the 14 where he struck it.

• Advertisement

Yes it an anomaly in the rules

You will get away with it by being slightly off the line but not 6-7m from the ball

the anomaly is why Nash motion was tried to get through congress this yr

lot of fellas are doin Nash into 13 now. TJ Reid and Laois goalie try that style now too

Other counties want to get rid of Nash style for "safety" reasons

Charging at the ball 6-7m from Nash surely has higher degree of danger than 13m

4.25 advancing ball in generally used for stealing yards

2.5 a covers Nash (a) Lift the ball with the hurley at the first
    attempt and strike it with the hurley.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Yes it an anomaly in the rules which is why Nash motion was tried to get through congress this yr

lot of fellas are doin Nash into 13 now

Other counties want to get rid of Nash style for "safety" reasons

Charging at the ball 6-7m from Nash surely has higher degree of danger than 13m

It was withdrawn before congress and correctly so - otherwise it wold not have been able to have been discussed and debated at future central council meetings

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Congrats on the win today folks. As bad as our lads were compared to the last day, ye were as better. Great improvement and some serious scoring in what was a windy. Aidan Walsh outstanding I felt.

Classy and smart move by JBM to keep the team on the pitch at HT allow our lads go down the tunnel and avoid any frayed nerves from spilling over into more unsavouryness.

Best of luck against Clare and in the rest of the championship

KevIRL wrote: »
    Congrats on the win today folks. As bad as our lads were compared to the last day, ye were as better. Great improvement and some serious scoring in what was a windy. Aidan Walsh outstanding I felt.

Classy and smart move by JBM to keep the team on the pitch at HT allow our lads go down the tunnel and avoid any frayed nerves from spilling over into more unsavouryness.

Best of luck against Clare and in the rest of the championship

Fair play - I've no doubt you will bounce back from it, will be hard. Hopefully a decent qualifier draw and good performance will get you on that road again

It was withdrawn before congress and correctly so - otherwise it wold not have been able to have been discussed and debated at future central council meetings

I can see rule being changed in future. Not sure what way they will change it tough as allowing ball to be struck before 20 will encourage fouling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

Well done to Cork. Power and pace all over the pitch. Adapted well from the last day. Its a pity Waterford were that poor.
    Only the All-Ireland champions then Munster champions then Leinster champions and Kilkenny to beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭sean mac

A credit to JBM, had the team selected right and motivated and as always with his teams there touch and striking was excellent. Defence as stated did well, ultimate test next week however. Surely cork after 2 championship matches will at least start well the next day which has been a problem before?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

I think if we start well we should be on top but we need to start well or it will be the same outcome of AIF 2013. I do think Clare are no Kilkenny though and can be beaten if we get our tactics and game right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

What's the story with getting tickets for the Clare game in Limerick next Sunday? Are they going on sale on Tickets.ie?

almostover wrote: »
    What's the story with getting tickets for the Clare game in Limerick next Sunday? Are they going on sale on Tickets.ie?

The game is in Thurles.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

Some people couldnt understand the Bookies' logic at making Cork heavy favourites. They're not often wrong in fairness and they were spot on

Ref, as seems to be a usual occurrence for us at all levels and codes was a disgrace, but thankfully wasn't a decided factor. Inconsistencies of refereeing today is farcical.

As was said above, all the usuals stood up for us today, Hoggy, Harnedy, Lehane but i was especially happy with Aidan Walsh's contribution. Worked tirelessly at midfield doing a lot of the dirty work. All the subs that came on made contributions apart from maybe Lawton, but i dont think he's up to this level in fairness to the youngfella. Great to see Paudie back. He's looking slimmer and fit so hope to see him taking Cronin's spot for the next day or Moylan. Cronin was embarrassingly bad. He should be up in the stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

The game is in Thurles.

My bad! Thought if Cork won the game was to be in Limerick and and if W'ford won it would be on in Thurles? I must have been mistaken. When do the tickets go on sale?

My bad! Thought if Cork won the game was to be in Limerick and and if W'ford won it would be on in Thurles? I must have been mistaken. When do the tickets go on sale?

So do I, but it's definitely Thurles..

Cork GAA @OfficialCorkGAA · 3h
    Cork will play Clare next Sunday at 4pm in Thurles. All info will be posted on http://www.gaacork.ie

Not sure about tickets tbh.

Good for Cork that the game is on in Thurles, as we have a much better record there!

Other way around

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

Well done today lads! We were poor again. Difficult to know how we'll get on in the qualifiers:) Best of luck against Clare

• Advertisement

Its on the Sunday game now - can hear the crowd behind now

Absolutely false

retaken.

Just stated on Sunday Game, the ball is struck when the ball is lifted (i.e. the ball is in play). So the ref was correct.

Ger Loughnane showing his anti-cork bias.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,720 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Just stated on Sunday Game, the ball is struck when the ball is lifted (i.e. the ball is in play). So the ref was correct.

Thats according to the referees new interpretation ,which is at odds with what was the interpretation for the past 100 years .
    Its an anti Cork bias,pure and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Rega

Is it the same with frees then? Could you go charging down free takers and get away with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

The refs have dug a right hole for themselves now. Watch every free being rushed by a player from now on as soon as the free taker bends and begins his lift.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭corkrobinhood

I heard it was on in Limerick,thats what County Sound were reporting today,or so I was told when I got home! *Edit* Just seen Sunday Game,100% Thurles!
    On the match itself,22,093 at it,and the vast majority was from Cork,another poor showing by Waterford fans,maybe they knew something very few others did,that they just aernt that good.

And they wouldnt be far wrong,worst Waterford display i've seen for years. The shooting i'd expect in a Junior game,and thats doing a dis-service to Junior players. No heart when they needed to raise their game,no fight,no game plan,nothing. As many wides as scores I think? You'd imagine they could never be that bad again,if they are they'll be in trouble for a long time yet.

Cork,well,job done anyway,had to win,for themselves and the belief,and the overall picture.

Could only play,and beat what was put in front of them,and to that extent they did the job.

Some fine performances right across the field,thought Joyce,Ellis,Kearney,Hoggie and Lehane had great games,Walshie was outstanding,really drove at Waterford.

Few worries would be the same,fading out of games,the lack of proper goal scoring opportunites (because we all know Clare wont waste those chances) and the fact Waterford players were afforded so much space to shoot on sight,just aswell the radar was off with them.

How good will Clare be next week? I think the drawn game against Waterford will have told us more about the real Cork than today,but you'd be hoping the way they played today could be brought on further against Clare,cause they'll need to be hurling savage for the full 70mins.

Roll on Thurles :)

Rega wrote: »
    Is it the same with frees then? Could you go charging down free takers and get away with it?

But no player is going to take a free like Nash takes a penalty as he's going for goal at close range.

But yes, if there's a free close to goal, I guess they could.

Precedent has been set now. Cork and Clare and anyone in the country are now free to charge down any free no matter what the range and in doing so try to put the player off.

• Advertisement

New interpretation that is 100% different to how i was thought to hurl and also officiate by Croke Park appointed officials

Rega wrote: »

As a lift is now a "strike" then yes all frees can be charged down. Going on interpretation for penalties
    eigrod wrote: »
    The refs have dug a right hole for themselves now. Watch every free being rushed by a player from now on as soon as the free taker bends and begins his lift.
    But no player is going to take a free like Nash takes a penalty as he's going for goal at close range.

But yes, if there's a free close to goal, I guess they could.

By that rule now you could have all 15 players on goal line for last minute free and 14 players rushing the free taker as soon as he "strikes" the ball the first time. Cheats paradise
    Connorzee wrote: »
    Precedent has been set now. Cork and Clare and anyone in the country are now free to charge down any free no matter what the range and in doing so try to put the player off.

exactly all frees would be fair game now

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement