Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    New interpretation that is 100% different to how i was thought to hurl and also officiate by Croke Park appointed officials

As a lift is now a "strike" then yes all frees can be charged down. Going on interpretation for penalties

By that rule now you could have all 15 players on goal line for last minute free and 14 players rushing the free taker as soon as he "strikes" the ball the first time. Cheats paradise

exactly all frees would be fair game now

I have been looking up the rule online, and to be honest, I'm none the wiser.

RTE apparently contacted the Referee's council and they confirmed once the ball is lifted it's deemed struck.

But I'd have my doubts too...

This needs to be clarified asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Ger Loughnane said that the Waterford player hitting the Cork player didnt deserve a red card???? i know it was just frustration but it clearly deserved a red.

Then he said Cork did something to get a ref removed from reffing their game? Where is his proof?

Proof or its spoof! There is a campaign slogan!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

The penalty situation is quickly becoming a farce! Going by the Sunday game interpretation that once a ball is lifted then the free-taker can be charged! That means all frees can be charged down once lifted. The GAA need to clarify the situation asap because this will become a huge issue in this years c'ship. It was lucky today that Cork won pulling up and that the penalty had no bearing on the final outcome. Also the Waterford forward should have been shown red in first few minutes. Striking with the hurley is a straight red, no ifs, buts or ands! Ger Loughnane as usual stirring sh*t, more ammo in the tank for next week for our Cork boys!

Coming back to the penalty situation, surely the easiest solution would be a 1:1 shot taken from outside the 20m line?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Ger Loughnane said that the Waterford player hitting the Cork player didnt deserve a red card???? i know it was just frustration but it clearly deserved a red.

Then he said Cork did something to get a ref removed from reffing their game? Where is his proof?

Loughnane will be a quiet man if Clare are beaten at the weekend. I hope he keeps saying bad stuff about Cork. Rev them up for the clash.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

I'll give example of last minute free in all ireland

Team down by 3 and player dragged to ground on 21

All 15 players from team in lead on goal line

As soon as free is lifted/struck 14 players can charge out at him

A free is meant to be an advantage for team fouled as is a penalty

This is a fundamental change to way game is played and officiated

You have way more of a safety issue with this too as now lads who are charging out can get far closer to the ball

Way more danger of getting struck in throat at 2-5m than 13

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Connorzee wrote: »
    Precedent has been set now. Cork and Clare and anyone in the country are now free to charge down any free no matter what the range and in doing so try to put the player off.

Teams won't do it - referee will ping them under 4.19, distraction rule
    I have been looking up the rule online, and to be honest, I'm none the wiser.

RTE apparently contacted the Referee's council and they confirmed once the ball is lifted it's deemed struck.

But I'd have my doubts too...

To be honest, I'm doubtful about it - that would have had to have been passed, as the rulebook is lift and then strike. Its in the new rulebook as that, and the reason why the original motion was taken out of congress was because it was felt the wording of the motion would impact on all frees and sideline pucks, not only penalties. If what Cummins mentioned was the case, then it seems to only be for penalties, and not for other frees.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

almostover wrote: »
    The penalty situation is quickly becoming a farce! Going by the Sunday game interpretation that once a ball is lifted then the free-taker can be charged! That means all frees can be charged down once lifted. The GAA need to clarify the situation asap because this will become a huge issue in this years c'ship. It was lucky today that Cork won pulling up and that the penalty had no bearing on the final outcome. Also the Waterford forward should have been shown red in first few minutes. Striking with the hurley is a straight red, no ifs, buts or ands! Ger Loughnane as usual stirring sh*t, more ammo in the tank for next week for our Cork boys!

Coming back to the penalty situation, surely the easiest solution would be a 1:1 shot taken from outside the 20m line?

You have way more of a safety issue with this too as now lads who are charging out can get far closer to the ball

To be honest, I'm doubtful about it - that would have had to have been passed, as the rulebook is lift and then strike. Its in the new rulebook as that, and the reason why the original motion was taken out of congress was because it was felt the wording of the motion would impact on all frees and sideline pucks, not only penalties. If what Cummins mentioned was the case, then it seems to only be for penalties, and not for other frees.

I wouldn't too well up on the technicalities of new rules or old rules tbh, sections etc.. Thought I already knew the rules of hurling, but obviously things change.

This ruling needs to be clarified asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

In that case why wasnt Stephen O'Keeffe pulled up for distraction today so? Surely a man running at you while taking a free, whether he's trying to block the ball or not, is a distraction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

Firstly well done to Cork, a really good team with some flaking hurlers. They showed today what they can do when they play for 70 minutes and I think that the drawn game and today will really stand to them. it shows what they can do when they are on it from the first minute and I think a serious team could be emerging.
    Thurles was the house of pain today but Pat Horgans point in the second half out by the sideline really was something else to see, he stuck out the hurley one handed the ball was in has hand and bang straight between the posts, it was like it was all one motion and he took it so fast, really that kind of ability is almost impossible to contain - even though I think his marker Shane Fives had a fine game as well.

Anyway all the best to Cork, we were out thought, out fought, out hurled and every other which way ya look at it so well done.
    And well do to JBM and the background team as well, they got a great performance out of their team.

it may not have happened for a while but watching a Cork team swarm all over us as we fall asunder is something we know all to well but I think it is a lot worse this time around because we honestly dint expect it. thems the breaks!

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Twiceasnice97

almostover wrote: »

the issue here is nashs style. This anomaly was there in the rules but it never mattered until nash started throwing the ball in past the 13.
    now they are all doing it
    while it is the letter of the law it is not the spirit of the law so to speak for nash to do what he is doing.
    equally the keeper coming out was patrick kellys innovation last year in the drawn game.
    the genie can`t be put back in the bottle so there is going to have to be a ruling from central council preventing penalty and 21 takers from coming inside the 20m line

• Advertisement

Connorzee wrote: »
    Ref, as seems to be a usual occurrence for us at all levels and codes was a disgrace, but thankfully wasn't a decided factor. Inconsistencies of refereeing today is farcical.

you are hardly going to complain about the ref in the first half? any kind of contact with a cork forward was a free

Amprodude wrote: »
    Good win. Now we must show Clare that last year was a once off for them.

:eek:
    3 under 21 all irelands in five years and red hot favourites to make that 4 in six years.
    it`s unlikely it was a once off

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Gary Neville

Don't think so. TSG lads say that the 'new' interpretation is that the ball is considered 'in play' or 'struck' once the hurley makes contact during lifting or once it's lifted (not sure which). O Keefe seemed to charge out only after Nash made initial contact.

Distraction must surely only apply before the free is actually taken.

This is the way it's going to be for now. I can't see players charging the free taker wrt frees in other areas as they won't have enough time to get near.

Concerns about safety will surely be in the increase now.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭sasol

Getting hit in the throat at 13m is still dangerous. If its a health and safety at 2-5m , it is also one at 13m.

Isn't it amusing that Cork are getting this worked up about what O'Keeffe did, considering that this would not be an issue had Cork and Nash abided by the letter of the law. Cork are fully to blame for this mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

sasol wrote: »
    Isn't it amusing that Cork are getting this worked up about what O'Keeffe did, considering that this would not be an issue had Cork and Nash abided by the letter of the law. Cork are fully to blame for this mess.

That's rubbish. Cork, as has many times been said, are breaking no law of the game. Nash's lift and strike fully abide by the laws of the game as they are written in the rule book.

eigrod wrote: »
    That's rubbish. Cork, as has many times been said, are breaking no law of the game. Nash's lift and strike fully abide by the laws of the game as they are written in the rule book.

Lets just forget about the 10 yard throw between the lift and strike

• Registered Users Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭slingerz

It the strike with the hurl on Cahalane wasnt a red card then i dont know what is. The game wasnt even in play when he did it.

Lets just forget about the 10 yard throw between the lift and strike

And where in the rule book does it state how far a player can travel while in the act of lifting and striking ? Where's the cut off ? You said Nash should abide by the letter of the law, so you might show us that law please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Getting hit in the throat at 13m is still dangerous. If its a health and safety at 2-5m , it is also one at 13m.

And what law is that. Nash and cork are breaking no law as far as I can see

Edit. Just saw your post eirgod

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Jimmy Bottles

slingerz wrote: »
    It the strike with the hurl on Cahalane wasnt a red card then i dont know what is. The game wasnt even in play when he did it.

Lorcan McLoughlin's off the ball pull on Austin Gleeson not even discussed on the Sunday Game.

• Advertisement

slingerz wrote: »

Maybe Cahalane was provoking the Waterford full forward first, just like Cork claim provocation when Shane O Neill struck Honan last year

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

Maybe Cahalane was provoking the Waterford full forward first, just like Cork claim provocation when Shane O Neill struck Honan last year

I'm fairly sure Cahalane would have been up to something - but it still doesn't change the rule strike with the hurley is a red card. I love that Loughnane felt the rule was different because it was at the start of the game and it would be terrible for the game if one team was down to 14 men...

And where in the rule book does it state how far a player can travel while in the act of lifting and striking ? Where's the cut off ? You said Nash should abide by the letter of the law, so you might show us that law please.

Your previous post referenced the rules , and lifting and striking. Do those same rules reference lifting, throwing 12 yards, and striking ? No , I didn't think so either.

The GAA need to draw up a new rule book. Leave the current rule book for 31 counties, and then have the Cork rule book so that you can do as you wish, which includes striking players, and fouling the ball while taking 21 yard frees and penalties.

Was it a UFO that slapped Gleeson on the arm yesterday before half time?

Your previous post referenced the rules , and lifting and striking. Do those same rules reference lifting, throwing 12 yards, and striking ? No , I didn't think so either.

Haha. So you've come around to actually agreeing with me. No, the rules don't reference throwing 12 yards (or any distance for that matter) - therefore it's permitted ! It's simple really. If there was a rule forbidding it, the referees would stop him doing it - or any other player doing it now that there's been several instances of it
    The GAA need to draw up a new rule book. Leave the current rule book for 31 counties, and then have the Cork rule book so that you can do as you wish, which includes striking players, and fouling the ball while taking 21 yard frees and penalties.

You're clearly trolling for a reaction from Cork people now.

:eek:
    3 under 21 all irelands in five years and red hot favourites to make that 4 in six years.
    it`s unlikely it was a once off

Ok. Can Clare win the All Ireland in 2014? Will Clare beat Kilkenny in the process? Come back to me when it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Rega

Lorcan McLoughlin's off the ball pull on Austin Gleeson not even discussed on the Sunday Game.

I saw that. It was right in front of me. The two of them were doing a bit of jostling. Gleeson butted McLoughlin, McLoughlin hit back. Gleeson went down. When he got up he hit McLoughlin across the chest. McLoughlin pushed him back.

They were both at it Jimmy.

Rega wrote: »
    I saw that. It was right in front of me. The two of them were doing a bit of jostling. Gleeson butted McLoughlin, McLoughlin hit back. Gleeson went down. When he got up he hit McLoughlin across the chest. McLoughlin pushed him back.

They were both at it Jimmy.

If Gleeson concentrated on his own game and stopped the messing around he might have played better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭deisedude

First of all, congratulations on the win. From the first second to the last ye were the better team. It was sickening to see ye win so handy without ever getting out of second gear.

Still wouldn't be so sure the problems areas in your team from the first day are fixed given the total ineptitude of our challenge. Be interesting to see how ye fare against Clare the next day

• Registered Users Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭slingerz

Ah being slapped on the harm. surely a more sensitive area than the chest that hosts the most important of bodily organs alright...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭999/112

Now we are led to believe that Stephen O'Keefe did not break any rule as he left the goal line as the ball was lifted[played].

If Clare are awarded a penalty/21 yd free in the semi-final, will somebody defending the Cork goal "rush" the striker of that penalty/free?
    We may find out in less than a week!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement