Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

slingerz wrote: »
    Thought Cooper worked hard throughout but Pa Cronin was terrible IMO. Lorcan wasn't great either

Cronin was rubbish again! Loran seems to go missing in games!

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

Canyon86 wrote: »
    Cronin was rubbish again! Loran seems to go missing in games!

Cronin's lost a couple yards of pace. 3 or 4 times he started in front of McInerney but was beaten to the ball. It's a shame, he was terrific back around 2010 when we were struggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Figsy32 wrote: »
    Cronin's lost a couple yards of pace. 3 or 4 times he started in front of McInerney but was beaten to the ball. It's a shame, he was terrific back around 2010 when we were struggling.

cronin got the better of david mac in the second half, however in last years 2 finals he was worth 4 points a game to cork with the amount of frees he won he had clare on the ropes the second day

dont worry though lads we will do a job on kerry next week and get revenge in 3 weeks time :pac::pac:............:eek:!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Lads are being very harsh on Cooper. People need to remember that he was injured for most of 2012 and didn't play a huge amount in 2013. Yes his touch was off yesterday but that is to be expected after missing the three games against Clare last year. He is by far the best grafter-type hurler we have. Paudi Sul is a very different type of player, and we would lose a lot of industry, work-rate and heart without Cooper on the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ballbag05

When will the tickets be going on sale? I hear that the capacity at Pairc ui Franc is reduced to 34000
    Demand will outstrip supply, so it will be a stampede when they come online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭slingerz

Thought Cooper at least worked hard yesterday anyway which you often dont see as being the case with Cian McCarthy or Cronin for that matter.

As an aside I thought Christopher Joyce had a good game, Tony Kelly was hardly seen for the 70 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭banger01

Thought Cooper did a great days work, fighting for dirty ball is a task cork players have been criticised for not doing in the past, he did that in spades yesterday, and as mentioned already this gave a lot of freedom to Kearney and Walsh to dominate at mid field, had Clare dominated the dirty ball contest in their half back line (as they did last year’s AI) corks mid field would have been bypassed. Fair play to all the cork players and management they stepped up and still have more in them to give I think. A well balanced side with a good bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭sean mac

banger01 wrote: »
    Thought Cooper did a great days work, fighting for dirty ball is a task cork players have been criticised for not doing in the past, he did that in spades yesterday, and as mentioned already this gave a lot of freedom to Kearney and Walsh to dominate at mid field, had Clare dominated the dirty ball contest in their half back line (as they did last year’s AI) corks mid field would have been bypassed. Fair play to all the cork players and management they stepped up and still have more in them to give I think. A well balanced side with a good bench.

Well said, cooper is a great addition as he works his arse off and more importantly stops the opposition centre back from dominating a game which they were able to do prior to his arrival on the team. We have 5 other forwards who usually score freely to compensate for a hugely valuable work horse like cooper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

what's the capacity in cork nowadays ? This game should be moved up to the GG and then next 2 played down in cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭Zardoz

ballbag05 wrote: »
    When will the tickets be going on sale? I hear that the capacity at Pairc ui Franc is reduced to 34000
    Demand will outstrip supply, so it will be a stampede when they come online.

Will they even come online ?
    If I recall correctly only terrace tickets went on general sale for the Munster final last year ,all the seated tickets went to the clubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭The White Feather

From the Cork Gaa website.......

Following assessment by the medical team, Mark Ellis has been diagnosed with slight damage to his knee ligaments, having come off injured during Sunday's game.

Management are confident that Mark will be fully fit for the Munster Final on July 13th.

Thats good news!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 btownboy

I see the Munster Council are up to tricks with respect to the Munster Final venue. Noises are being made that Pairc Ui Chaoimh only has a capacity of 34,000 when in fact its capacity is 40,500.

They are looking for a switch to Thurles.

It just seems to be 1 thing after another really. I would expect that the CCB insist that the agreement with Limerick is honoured. We deserve a home match after 3 trips to Semple.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Gary Neville

btownboy wrote: »
    I see the Munster Council are up to tricks with respect to the Munster Final venue. Noises are being made that Pairc Ui Chaoimh only has a capacity of 34,000 when in fact its capacity is 40,500.

They are looking for a switch to Thurles.

It just seems to be 1 thing after another really. I would expect that the CCB insist that the agreement with Limerick is honoured. We deserve a home match after 3 trips to Semple.

The Limerick Chairman has gone running to the media shedding crocadile tears about all the unfortunate supporters who won't be able to get tickets. It looks like they entered a home and neutral arrangement with us. Nice one, that !!! All the bother I had putting my hub caps in the boot last year and now they're reneging on the deal. They'll be complaining about the roadworks in Doneraile next.

Tipp wouldn't come down for the league semi - We'll have some job getting them slippery operators to come to Cork when we'll have our new stadium.

The Clare Chairman has piled in behind Davy and has slated James McGrath however, at the end of the statement, he tells us that he's 'not pointing the finger at anyone' Jaysus, poor old James McGrath will be relieved to hear the last bit. Ther're some men up there for double speak.

I'm thinking that the Clare Lads would want to learn how to take their bating - but I won't say it, so I wont.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

The Clare Chairman has piled in behind Davy and has slated James McGrath however, at the end of the statement, he tells us that he's 'not pointing the finger at anyone' Jaysus, poor old James McGrath will be relieved to hear the last bit. Ther're some men up there for double speak.

I'm thinking that the Clare Lads would want to learn how to take their bating - but I won't say it, so I wont.

They were major beneficiaries of the single biggest call a referee made last year (Gavin's decision to play on beyond the minimum inj time allotted in the drawn AI final). I'm not saying that call was right or wrong, just that Clare benefitted massively from it. And yet here they are, first Championship game the year after and they are moaning about 1 or 2 frees they did or didn't get.

There definitely seems to be a conspiracy to 'outfox' Cork at every turn.

The Anthony Nash rule....

The venue for the Munster Final....

Not sure what we can do about it although I would think a firm and straightforward line from the CCB needs to be made. The Munster Final will be held in PuC - full stop. No need for debate Munster Council - thank you very much.

We probably need to become more media savvy overall as well. Not that in principal I like that approach but in reality we have to or else we will be under constant attack as a tactic in run ups to games from opposing teams.

I have to say though that it is such a good feeling to be in the Munster final again this year. The team is much more competitive and has a steeliness that has not been there for quite a while. The work done by JBM has been immense and he has stuck to his hurling principles. Focusing in on 1 player in particular, Cahalane, it seems he is improving with every game. I think a lot of that is down to the faith and encourage that JBM has given to him and that has helped his confidence no end.

In saying that though they have not lost their traditional virtues which are fair play, high skills levels and moving the ball fast into space where our fast forwards can use their strengths to win ball and score.

The hurling team would make you proud to be from Cork and they are a great example to all on what hard work, sticking to your principles and honouring a famous jersey is all about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

The Limerick Chairman has gone running to the media shedding crocadile tears about all the unfortunate supporters who won't be able to get tickets. It looks like they entered a home and neutral arrangement with us. Nice one, that !!! All the bother I had putting my hub caps in the boot last year and now they're reneging on the deal. They'll be complaining about the roadworks in Doneraile next.

Tipp wouldn't come down for the league semi - We'll have some job getting them slippery operators to come to Cork when we'll have our new stadium.

Incorrect, Limerick have no problem playing cork at home. If the attendance is 40,000 it should be played in Cork, if it's 30,000 , only a fool would deem it suitable.

Interested in hearing thoughts around Pa Cronin.

Is he worth a place on the team?

If he is dropped who replaces him?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Henry94

It will definitely be in Páirc Uí Chaoimh. There is no issue with the capacity. Having sat that you would probably see 100,000 tickets for this match if you had the room. I'd give Limerick huge credit for bouncing back from a poor performance in the All-Ireland semi-final. They didn't do themselves justice that day and they will fight tooth and nail to hold on to their Munster crown. I'm tempted to back a draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Not sure what we can do about it although I would think a firm and straightforward line from the CCB needs to be made. The Munster Final will be held in PuC - full stop. No need for debate Munster Council - thank you very much.

Ah here! Get in out of the sun I'd say! There's no conspiracy against Cork - had any other hurler in Ireland been doing what Nash was, then it would have been investigated - I've no doubt about that

Regarding the Munster Final - at the end of the day, the GAA loves money and if there's demand to have the final in a bigger stadium then they'll look into it - from a business POV it'd be a mistake not to at least entertain it. They're not doing it to do over Cork, it's absolutely for their own benifit imo

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

Interested in hearing thoughts around Pa Cronin.

Is he worth a place on the team?

If he is dropped who replaces him?

I'd leave him where he is to be honest. I really don't see a viable alternative. Other players' reputations are being enhanced from not playing, not what they've done when they've got a chance.

The break and having club games with Bishopstown should help him hopefully.

He's also an okay match up versus McCarthy as McCarthy won't be keen to move out the pitch to combat puck outs.

As an aside, some of the abuse he is getting from the terrace is terrible.

• Advertisement

Hi Figsy32,

Good point. I don't think we have an alternative either. I thought as the game progressed he got better. He does throw himself about a bit and he does break a lot of ball.

He does get a lot of stick and it is disappointing as he does seem to give his all and as an amateur he really does not need that kind of reaction from the crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Meursault

D'Agger wrote: »
    Ah here! Get in out of the sun I'd say! There's no conspiracy against Cork - had any other hurler in Ireland been doing what Nash was, then it would have been investigated - I've no doubt about that

Regarding the Munster Final - at the end of the day, the GAA loves money and if there's demand to have the final in a bigger stadium then they'll look into it - from a business POV it'd be a mistake not to at least entertain it. They're not doing it to do over Cork, it's absolutely for their own benifit imo

What are you basing your comments (highlighted) on D'Agger?

you seem be be suggesting that the comments above are groundless, but at the same time you are making statements like those highlighted, without any proof.

To be honest you could be forgiven lately for thinking there was an agenda against Cork (I am not saying there is).

Since last sept you had the likes of Eddie Keher out doing his best impression of Helen Lovejoy, yet he went very quiet when TJ Reid was doing a carbon copy of Nash's style

Davy Fitz was at the same thing about Nash and has been complaining about refs since last summer, yet was happy enough to benefit from the extended injury time in the drawn all ireland final.

Now you have the Limerick GAA trying to influence a switch of venues while at the same time saying 'we are not trying to switch the munster final venues'

The match should be played in PUC, regardless of capacity. An agreement is an agreement. Limerick should keep to its word.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

Match has to be played in Cork it would be totally unfair to expect cork fans to travel to thurles for a 4th time this year, bit of a joke if it were to happen as it would mean every senior hurling championship match in 2014 was played in Thurles, pure joke, and greed by the munster council. Least also by having it in cork it would inject some needed cash into our local economy, think local!

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭sean mac

This has been instigated by limerick, they are afraid of coming to the pairc, lets be honest on this point. The munster council will no doubt talk about health and safety or even extra attendance but this is bull****. Could you imagine if cork pulled out of an agreement with clare - they would call for a public inquiry or god forbid poor old limerick.
    There is an agreement in place, it was good enough for limerick and the munster council last year, the paircs revised capacity is just over 40,000 plenty big enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

We probably need to become more media savvy overall as well. Not that in principal I like that approach but in reality we have to or else we will be under constant attack as a tactic in run ups to games from opposing teams.

I have to say though that it is such a good feeling to be in the Munster final again this year. The team is much more competitive and has a steeliness that has not been there for quite a while. The work done by JBM has been immense and he has stuck to his hurling principles. Focusing in on 1 player in particular, Cahalane, it seems he is improving with every game. I think a lot of that is down to the faith and encourage that JBM has given to him and that has helped his confidence no end.

In saying that though they have not lost their traditional virtues which are fair play, high skills levels and moving the ball fast into space where our fast forwards can use their strengths to win ball and score.

The hurling team would make you proud to be from Cork and they are a great example to all on what hard work, sticking to your principles and honouring a famous jersey is all about.

Somebody pass the sick bag...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭The White Feather

citykat wrote: »

Yes it is terrible for someone to be proud of their county getting to a final in hurling. And to even say it in the Cork GAA discussion thread!

How dare they?!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,882 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

citykat wrote: »

Fella, you have a habit of coming into the Cork thread and with such informative, incisive and productive comments as above :rolleyes:

Time to put you on the 'ignore' list.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

In fairness lads, there is no conspiracy against Cork, that's almost Davy levels of paranoia.

And we're not afraid of going down to the Pairc, as far as I can remember, we beat ye the last 2 times we played ye (bar the strike year, if ye couldn't beat a sub Limerick team, there'd be no hope for ye :p).

The players/management don't care where the game is on, their preparations will be the same. It's purely a supporter thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Fireball07 wrote: »
    In fairness lads, there is no conspiracy against Cork, that's almost Davy levels of paranoia.

And we're not afraid of going down to the Pairc, as far as I can remember, we beat ye the last 2 times we played ye (bar the strike year, if ye couldn't beat a sub Limerick team, there'd be no hope for ye :p).

The players/management don't care where the game is on, their preparations will be the same. It's purely a supporter thing.

great ye beat Cork last two times but sh#t yerselves when ye come to Croke Park year in and year out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Amprodude wrote: »
    great ye beat Cork last two times but sh#t yerselves when ye come to Croke Park year in and year out.

There's always this year, or next year. We'll start by trying to beat ye down there... we'll worry about Croke Park if we get there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement