Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

D'Agger wrote: »
    ^ Same reason you posted the above probably - swings and roundabouts Amprodude, only difference being he didn't say 'no offense, just speaking the truth' and expect people to accept it as a valid post

That's my opinion on the matter. No one has to accept it but to a degree its true. If i can put it mildly.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭corkrobinhood

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    I also heard he was gone from Munster.
    While I love the Páirc, I only love the terraces. There is a fantastic view from any position due to the depth of the steps. Unfortunately the stands are a joke and quite dangerous if filled anywhere near capacity.

The seats are the worst of any ground i've ever visited. If you anything over 5ft your in big trouble,and if someone of a big stature sits in front of you,leave your legs at home,you wont have any room for them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,882 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Very true, I'm over 6 ft and will only go to the terraces as a result of the cramped seating.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭pajoguy

btownboy wrote: »
    Why not? The very simple answer is that you honour your agreements. If you do not honour your agreements then you are dishonourable, pure and simple.

The best thing that Limerick could have done was actually say nothing and just come down and play. They have a relatively good record in the last 20 years - thinking about 1996 and 2001 - so they should just get on with it.

I am not sure if I was a Limerick hurler I would be overly impressed with the intervention on their behalf.

It is actually a good opportunity for them to come down and 'spoil the party' as it were but they have probably just given ammo to the Cork team with their CB's behavior.

Very disappointing from Limerick CB as Limerick is a very sporting county with great sports fans (I live in Limerick at the moment).

What exactly have limerick county board said. They have no problem going to cork once its safe. I heard chairman speak in Monday morning and the only issue they have is capacity. Your post is very misleading and all fiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭BobBobBobBob

1. Ken O’Halloran (Bishopstown)
    2. Michael Shields (St. Finbarr’s)
    3. Thomas Clancy (Clonakilty)
    4. Noel Galvin (Ballincollig)
    5. James Loughrey (Mallow)
    6. Patrick Kelly (Ballincollig)
    7. John O’Rourke (Carbery Rangers)
    8. Andrew O’Sullivan (Castletownbere)
    9. Fintan Goold (Macroom)
    10. Mark Collins (Castlehaven)
    11. Paul Kerrigan (Nemo Rangers)
    12. Barry O’Driscoll (Nemo Rangers)
    13. Daniel Goulding (Éire Óg)
    14. Brian Hurley (Castlehaven)
    15. John Hayes (Carbery Rangers)

While Brian Cuthbert has elected to start without the three dual players, Damien Cahalane, Aidan Walsh and Eoin Cadogan, he has nonetheless named an experienced side, with Noel Galvin the only championship débutant.

Subs
    16. David Hanrahan (Douglas)
    17. Jamie O’Sullivan (Bishopstown)
    18. Eoin Cadogan (Douglas)
    19. Damien Cahalane (Castlehaven)
    20. Tomás Clancy (Fermoy)
    21. Aidan Walsh (Kanturk)
    22. Ruairi Deane (Bantry Blues)
    23. Colm O’Driscoll (Tadhg MacCárthaigh)
    24. Donal Óg Hodnett (O’Donovan Rossa)
    25. Colm O’Neill (Ballyclough)
    26. Cathal Vaughan (Uibh Laoire)

Not considered due to injury: Donncha O'Connor, Kevin Crowley, Brian O'Driscoll

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 btownboy

1. Ken O’Halloran (Bishopstown)
    2. Michael Shields (St. Finbarr’s)
    3. Thomas Clancy (Clonakilty)
    4. Noel Galvin (Ballincollig)
    5. James Loughrey (Mallow)
    6. Patrick Kelly (Ballincollig)
    7. John O’Rourke (Carbery Rangers)
    8. Andrew O’Sullivan (Castletownbere)
    9. Fintan Goold (Macroom)
    10. Mark Collins (Castlehaven)
    11. Paul Kerrigan (Nemo Rangers)
    12. Barry O’Driscoll (Nemo Rangers)
    13. Daniel Goulding (Éire Óg)
    14. Brian Hurley (Castlehaven)
    15. John Hayes (Carbery Rangers)

While Brian Cuthbert has elected to start without the three dual players, Damien Cahalane, Aidan Walsh and Eoin Cadogan, he has nonetheless named an experienced side, with Noel Galvin the only championship débutant.

Subs
    16. David Hanrahan (Douglas)
    17. Jamie O’Sullivan (Bishopstown)
    18. Eoin Cadogan (Douglas)
    19. Damien Cahalane (Castlehaven)
    20. Tomás Clancy (Fermoy)
    21. Aidan Walsh (Kanturk)
    22. Ruairi Deane (Bantry Blues)
    23. Colm O’Driscoll (Tadhg MacCárthaigh)
    24. Donal Óg Hodnett (O’Donovan Rossa)
    25. Colm O’Neill (Ballyclough)
    26. Cathal Vaughan (Uibh Laoire)

Not considered due to injury: Donncha O'Connor, Kevin Crowley, Brian O'Driscoll

Very prudent decision by Cuthbert not naming the hurlers on the team. At least they are being saved from 1 game. They can always be brought on if the game is going against Cork but you would hope that would not happen.

However, could Eoin Cadogan play as he did not have a major involvement game time wise with the hurlers?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭slingerz

I think i said earlier in the year about the impact that Cathal Vaughan would have with the seniors this year. Good to see him on the panel after injury ruled him out of the U21 campaign

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

Very prudent decision by Cuthbert not naming the hurlers on the team. At least they are being saved from 1 game. They can always be brought on if the game is going against Cork but you would hope that would not happen.

However, could Eoin Cadogan play as he did not have a major involvement game time wise with the hurlers?

It's only prudent if we win, but I like the decision.

There's a strong panel there to be fair. No harm blooding a few lads. Tipp won't be a walkover like they may have been previously though.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Gary Neville

Totally shocked at that line-up.

2 forwards (Kelly & O Rourke) in defence. Thomas Clancy isn't making enough impression on management - last year, he played most games but didn't win a place for c/ship - same for Saturday. He'll be very disappointed because there's 3 half backs to come in for consideration (Cahalane, BOD & Crowley) Jamie Sull isn't too long back but he needs to make the breakthrough soon, also.

It's obvious that we are looking at different tactics - probably numbers back in defence with fast breaks - the effectiveness of Monaghan and the need to match Dublin are bound to influence Management - Saturday Evening will be fascinating - Can't wait. Eamon Fitz, Cian O Neill, Sheehy and Murphy will all surely be at PUC.

Delighted to see Barry O D get a chance - he looked v good against Kerry and has obviously been going well in challenges and training.

We have a very talented forward 6.

Sean Dineen hasn't quite made the step-up to IC level - that's disappointing but it was always going to be a big ask. I love Butcher's level of commitment and I hope it goes well for him. Ken's kick outs will be v important - again, hopefully we'll see a big improvement.

It's a shame that only 5 subs can be used as the dual men need game time and the same applies to Vaughan, Colm, Hodnett, Colm O D
    etc - might need a black card

pajoguy wrote: »
    What exactly have limerick county board said. They have no problem going to cork once its safe. I heard chairman speak in Monday morning and the only issue they have is capacity. Your post is very misleading and all fiction.

From the Examiner today:

Cork travelled to Limerick for last year’s provincial decider and it had been widely assumed that Limerick would automatically come to Leeside for this year’s final as part of a home and away arrangement. Limerick chairman Oliver Mann expressed concerns earlier this week about supporters missing out on the game due to Páirc Uí Chaoimh’s reduced capacity. There is a sense of anger growing in provincial circles over Limerick’s reluctance to travel south for the clash.

The Limerick CCB have not talked of safety, they have made a spurious argument on capacity and stated they would prefer the game was played elsewhere so as not to disappoint their fans due to lack of tickets. They claim PuC can only hold 34,000 but it actually holds 40,500.

I think it would be wise to consider the facts and read posts properly before reacting in a knee jerk and insulting manner.

• Advertisement

From the Examiner today:

Cork travelled to Limerick for last year’s provincial decider and it had been widely assumed that Limerick would automatically come to Leeside for this year’s final as part of a home and away arrangement. Limerick chairman Oliver Mann expressed concerns earlier this week about supporters missing out on the game due to Páirc Uí Chaoimh’s reduced capacity. There is a sense of anger growing in provincial circles over Limerick’s reluctance to travel south for the clash.

The Limerick CCB have not talked of safety, they have made a spurious argument on capacity and stated they would prefer the game was played elsewhere so as not to disappoint their fans due to lack of tickets. They claim PuC can only hold 34,000 but it actually holds 40,500.

I think it would be wise to consider the facts and read posts properly before reacting in a knee jerk and insulting manner.

It's all physciology and tactics by Limerick county board. They come up with this lame excuse because let's face it they don't want to get a hiding in PUC especially after last year's game. Cork are out for their blood and they know it.

Hello Limerick welcome to PUC there is no escaping what lies ahead.

Amprodude wrote: »
    It's all physciology and tactics by Limerick county board. They come up with this lame excuse because let's face it they don't want to get a hiding in PUC especially after last year's game. Cork are out for their blood and they know it.

As a Corkman living in Limerick who has to put up with the incessant (but in fairness lighthearted) banter from the other half's brother and father I cannot wait for the Munster Final in PuC. I think Limerick will be well up for it and TJ who was underrated prior to the Tipp game will have a good gameplan in place. It will be up to Cork to match and better that.

It'll be a great test and I really hope we can raise our game again and secure the Munster title. It would be great to go through the front door this year and really try and have a cut off the AI.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Hon Limerick, hope they win by one in front of the 34,000 :pac:

D'Agger wrote: »
    Hon Limerick, hope they win by one in front of the 34,000 :pac:

If they do, it will be a great achievement and i would like to see them progress but hopefully Cork will have enough this time. 8 years without Munster title for Cork doesnt need any motovation. I think Cork will take them this year with a few points or maybe a few goals to spare. We wait and see....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Orizio wrote: »
    Sweetnam is still with Munster, on his final year.

http://www.munsterrugby.ie/rugby/academy.php
    On Sweetnam - I had been told by someone close to the Munster setup that he was cut from the setup in May. The website may not be up to date on this.

Hypothetically though if he was available he would be some addition.
    He is still in Munster set-up. Munster website had academy for next season listed a few weeks back and he is going into third year. He will have this year with Munster at least. Rare to see anyone cut from academy with year to go
    ShamoBuc wrote: »
    I also heard he was gone from Munster.
    While I love the Páirc, I only love the terraces. There is a fantastic view from any position due to the depth of the steps. Unfortunately the stands are a joke and quite dangerous if filled anywhere near capacity.
    Don't like ground at all though terraces are best place by far if I have to go to games there..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

Anyone any ska about the minor hurlers? Big game v Limerick next week.

If they do, it will be a great achievement and i would like to see them progress but hopefully Cork will have enough this time. 8 years without Munster title for Cork doesnt need any motovation. I think Cork will take them this year with a few points or maybe a few goals to spare. We wait and see....
    Wouldn't be suprised to see Cork win it handy but I do think Limerick can only improve on the Tipp outing - their forwards were absolutely shocking for huge portions of that game

I also think Limerick will give Cork a good battle in midfiled - going to be interesting to see how Walsh gets on against Browne who showed bundles of energy against Tipp and was unlucky not to finish with a couple of points to his name - if his shooting improves from the last day then he'll cause problems I think

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Naux

Sorry to hijack this thread for a minute.

Going to Cork for Irish Open this weekend. Can anyone recommend a good GAA pub near Fota that will show Galway V Sligo on Saturday evening instead of all of that World Cup rubbish?

Thanks

Naux

From the Examiner today:

"A growing sense if anger" Ah now seriously. Why didnt the examiner quote oliver mann when he said on radio they have no problem going to cork but just raised concerns about capacity!
    If cork does have a capacity of 40k then it is not an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭webels

Anyone any ska about the minor hurlers? Big game v Limerick next week.
    Where's ttm1 when we need him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

webels wrote: »

badly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Very worried about that halfback line and midfield for the footballers. Tipp will trouble us I feel.

webels wrote: »
    badly

Fúckin hell lads, ye fall hard in this thread don't ye! :pac:

Naux wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack this thread for a minute.

Going to Cork for Irish Open this weekend. Can anyone recommend a good GAA pub near Fota that will show Galway V Sligo on Saturday evening instead of all of that World Cup rubbish?

Thanks

Naux

That's a tricky one, Naux.

A few GAA pubs in Carrigtwohill (nearest village) but it's hurling country and very little interest in Football and none in Galway v Sligo - most locals would prefer to watch paint dry (no offence intended). Argentina are on the box at 5 and Germany at 8 - so pubs will have the soccer on.

The Radisson Hotel in Little Island might be worth a tel call to check it out - or bring the laptop - they've probably got Wifi in the lobby area.

Enjoy the golf.

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Very worried about that halfback line and midfield for the footballers. Tipp will trouble us I feel.

We don't have big men in the central area - Cork have been working hard on kick-outs and as Tipp will be playing a sweeper - we'll probably go short, a bit.

I think we'll be sending for the cavalry (Walsh and Cahalane) in the 2nd half.

Tipp tend to try fast breaks with overlaps - we'll have a fair bit of tracking to do. I'd be worried too about Kelly and O Rourke's defensive instincts.

Would expect a very tough test.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭rebs23

"A growing sense if anger" Ah now seriously. Why didnt the examiner quote oliver mann when he said on radio they have no problem going to cork but just raised concerns about capacity!
    If cork does have a capacity of 40k then it is not an issue.
    Why did he raise it? Limerick don't want the game played in PUC as simple as that and there has been a fair amount of comment from Limerick County board on the matter.
    For all sorts of reasons it is important for Cork that the game is played in PUC, a lot of them to do with the opportunity to say goodbye (hopefully) to the old stadium.
    Raising issues about it is getting a lot of people in Cork annoyed.

rebs23 wrote: »
    Why did he raise it? Limerick don't want the game played in PUC as simple as that and there has been a fair amount of comment from Limerick County board on the matter.
    For all sorts of reasons it is important for Cork that the game is played in PUC, a lot of them to do with the opportunity to say goodbye (hopefully) to the old stadium.
    Raising issues about it is getting a lot of people in Cork annoyed.

I completely understand the sentimentality arounf the whole thing. It was a modern stadium in its day and like ourselves ye have waited long enough for an upgrade.
    The fact that no venue has been confirmed has nothing to do with limerick raising concerns about capacity. Its munster council who have final say. If there were no issues re. safety and capacity then the venue would be confirmed by now. They obviously have issues. It may be just a case of crossing a few ts and dotting a few Is re safety as its all gone OTT these days.

I just hope ye get enough oppurtunities to fill PUC when it is developed

That's a tricky one, Naux.

A few GAA pubs in Carrigtwohill (nearest village) but it's hurling country and very little interest in Football and none in Galway v Sligo - most locals would prefer to watch paint dry (no offence intended). Argentina are on the box at 5 and Germany at 8 - so pubs will have the soccer on.

The Radisson Hotel in Little Island might be worth a tel call to check it out - or bring the laptop - they've probably got Wifi in the lobby area.

Enjoy the golf.

You could head down to Aghada which is a BIG football village. Probably you could watch the match in the bar near the pier down there.

I completely understand the sentimentality arounf the whole thing. It was a modern stadium in its day and like ourselves ye have waited long enough for an upgrade.
    The fact that no venue has been confirmed has nothing to do with limerick raising concerns about capacity. Its munster council who have final say. If there were no issues re. safety and capacity then the venue would be confirmed by now. They obviously have issues. It may be just a case of crossing a few ts and dotting a few Is re safety as its all gone OTT these days.

I just hope ye get enough oppurtunities to fill PUC when it is developed

I have to say you are very funny if a bit obtuse.

You are admitting that you believe that capacity is an issue. Good - You are half way there to reality. Once you admit that Limerick CB ARE bringing up the capacity issue (not the Munster council) you will be fully in reality. Limerick don't want to play in Cork. They are the ones who have issues. Full stop.

As for your last comment on filling PuC - let's just stick to the game... not the games...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

They mentioned the fact that about 10K people wouldnt be able to see the game at a 34K capacity, once. I agree they should have said sweet fcuk all, but no one has said we dont want to travel. personally i want it in cork and i know plenty of cork people who think from a hurling perspective thurles would suit them better.

Now if ye could just let people know what the actual fcuking capacity of yer ground for the final is sometime this month preferably we might be able to sort out a venue. Since we beat tipp ye knew this was a possibility yer great administrators should have had this safety thing sorted weeks ago.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement