Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 btownboy

They mentioned the fact that about 10K people wouldnt be able to see the game at a 34K capacity, once. I agree they should have said sweet fcuk all, but no one has said we dont want to travel. personally i want it in cork and i know plenty of cork people who think from a hurling perspective thurles would suit them better.

Now if ye could just let people know what the actual fcuking capacity of yer ground for the final is sometime this month preferably we might be able to sort out a venue. Since we beat tipp ye knew this was a possibility yer great administrators should have had this safety thing sorted weeks ago.

It was not an issue until the Chairman of the Limerick CB started blowing on about it....

I would prefer the match to be in Cork not Thurles and all the Cork people I have talked to want it there too - and I am living in Limerick so Thurles would actually be easier for me to get to. However as it is the last game before refurbishment it will be a great send off.

That is not the point though - the stadium as per CCB is 40,500 not 34,000 as Limerick CB have been putting out there (not even sure how they came up with that).

From the reports I have been getting from those in the know it WILL be in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

btownboy wrote: »
    It was not an issue until the Chairman of the Limerick CB started blowing on about it....

I would prefer the match to be in Cork not Thurles and all the Cork people I have talked to want it there too - and I am living in Limerick so Thurles would actually be easier for me to get to. However as it is the last game before refurbishment it will be a great send off.

That is not the point though - the stadium as per CCB is 40,500 not 34,000 as Limerick CB have been putting out there (not even sure how they came up with that).

Thats the figure according to the CCB but whats it according to the fire officer. Ye dont know simple. The cut off for moving the game will vary from person to person, and the munster branch will have a figure too. Lets hope cork can meet that number.

I never mind yer was only an issue until limerick chairman mentioned it there was always going to be clearance given for the game to go ahead and a crowd limit decided. Safety officers dont work based on comments quoted in papers from GAA chairmen.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Pringle12345

PUC is a **** ground but Limerick agreed to play there so be it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

btownboy wrote: »

The attendance has been an issue ever since a report was done by the GAA in 2011 http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/gaa-faces-200000-loss-in-ground-capacity-26794939.html. I'd imagine remedies were suggested and if the Cork county board have implemented them then fair play to them and it will enhance everyones experience in the stadium. I remember sitting in the uncovered stand and nearly having my knees cut off me by the seat in front of me. If I get a ticket I'll be in the terrace that's for sure!!!

Love going to Cork for games - always seems to be sunny - but there are question marks over the capacity so surely ye can acknowledge that.

Oliver Mann has been quoted as follows:
    “I presume what is exercising their mind (Munster Council) is that Pairc Ui Chaoimh can only hold, and I am not wholly sure on this figure, 34,000. There were 43,000 in Limerick last year. If the game was in Pairc Ui Chaoimh there are a lot of people who wouldn’t be able to go to the match. That is a matter for the Munster Council,” outlined Limerick GAA chairman Oliver Mann.

“At the end of the day we have a home and away agreement with Cork. Cork honoured that last year and so the Munster final is due to be played in Cork this year. That still has to be sanctioned by the Munster Council. If the game is fixed for Pairc Ui Chaoimh we would have no problem with that, but if the game is in Pairc Ui Chaoimh there will be Cork and Limerick people without tickets,” stressed the chairman.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Amprodude wrote: »
    It's all physciology and tactics by Limerick county board. They come up with this lame excuse because let's face it they don't want to get a hiding in PUC especially after last year's game. Cork are out for their blood and they know it.

Hello Limerick welcome to PUC there is no escaping what lies ahead.

We don't want to get a hiding anywhere. And I'd be shocked if we do.

I believe the last hiding handed out in the Pairc between these teams was by us ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

It's a shame that only 5 subs can be used as the dual men need game time and the same applies to Vaughan, Colm, Hodnett, Colm O D etc - might need a black card

allowed 6 subs now.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Browney7 wrote: »
    The attendance has been an issue ever since a report was done by the GAA in 2011 http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/gaa-faces-200000-loss-in-ground-capacity-26794939.html. I'd imagine remedies were suggested and if the Cork county board have implemented them then fair play to them and it will enhance everyones experience in the stadium. I remember sitting in the uncovered stand and nearly having my knees cut off me by the seat in front of me. If I get a ticket I'll be in the terrace that's for sure!!!

Love going to Cork for games - always seems to be sunny - but there are question marks over the capacity so surely ye can acknowledge that.

Oliver Mann has been quoted as follows:
    “I presume what is exercising their mind (Munster Council) is that Pairc Ui Chaoimh can only hold, and I am not wholly sure on this figure, 34,000. There were 43,000 in Limerick last year. If the game was in Pairc Ui Chaoimh there are a lot of people who wouldn’t be able to go to the match. That is a matter for the Munster Council,” outlined Limerick GAA chairman Oliver Mann.

“At the end of the day we have a home and away agreement with Cork. Cork honoured that last year and so the Munster final is due to be played in Cork this year. That still has to be sanctioned by the Munster Council. If the game is fixed for Pairc Ui Chaoimh we would have no problem with that, but if the game is in Pairc Ui Chaoimh there will be Cork and Limerick people without tickets,” stressed the chairman.

Thanks this was my point all along. As john mcintyre said once if twas midnight in Madagascar we would play it there. Once they have a stadium for 40k too!!!!
    If they are so passionate about their "pairc" they would have upgraded it before now.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Gary Neville

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    allowed 6 subs now.;)

Only if there's a black card.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

No... I'm 99% sure that's not the case.

Otherwise, that would be giving an advantage to teams who get black cards. It's 6 subs across the board now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Nope. In all cases. I'm 100% on this.

It was brought in as a result of the black card but you dont have to receive a black card to make 6 subs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

On the subject of Sweetnam. He's transferred his club rugby from Dolphin to Cork Con this year coming up. Still with Munster as was said, 1 year left officially.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

PUC hosted munster hurling finals in 2011 and 2012 both Tipp v Waterford the Munster council had no issue with PUC then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Fireball07 wrote: »
    We don't want to get a hiding anywhere. And I'd be shocked if we do.

I believe the last hiding handed out in the Pairc between these teams was by us ;)

Pity they couldnt finish the job and win a few titles any year they did give Cork a hiding. It would have looked a lot more glamourous in the history books.

Amprodude wrote: »
    Pity they couldnt finish the job and win a few titles any year they did give Cork a hiding. It would have looked a lot more glamourous in the history books.

Jaysus, Amprodude - you took no prisioners, there. :) Now that you mention it, 1973 is a while ago alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Podge Collins gone from the Clare panel apparently. They've really taken this defeat badly. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Can tickets be bought at the gate this evening for the cork tipp game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

Orizio wrote: »
    Podge Collins gone from the Clare panel apparently. They've really taken this defeat badly. :D

Gone from the hurling panel? because of his involvement int he football?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Slobbery wrote: »
    Gone from the hurling panel? because of his involvement int he football?

Aye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

Orizio wrote: »
    Aye.

Jaysus... but.... more sources needed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Half Time in the football and Tipp ahead by a point. Hopefully Cork gets going in the second half

Munster SFC Semi-Final Cork 0-9 Tipperary 1-7

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,882 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

20 left and we are down by a goal....shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭The White Feather

It sounds like Aidan Walsh saved us!!

Munster SFC Semi-Final Cork 0-16 Tipperary 1-11 (FT)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

5 points in four minutes, three from Walsh saved Cork. Heard from someone at the game that a Cork weren't playing like a team at all, very poor marking and if Tipp took half if their wides in the second half, Cork would be out

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,882 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Cork 0-16 v 1-11 Tip

Aidan Walsh came on and scored 3 points in the final few minutes to help us SCRAPE over the line. You would have to feel for Tip, they deserved to win or at least draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Cork 0-16 v 1-11 Tip

Aidan Walsh came on and scored 3 points in the final few minutes to help us SCRAPE over the line. You would have to feel for Tip, they deserved to win or at least draw.
    Do you think the fact that Tipperary had an extra game played against Limerick helped them tonight? Or were Cork just that bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

What price an Aidan Walsh hurler/footballer of the year double

Yes it helped them, but Cork are to blame for a haphazard performance.
    Saturday night, balmy conditions about 4000, quiet lead up to the game was an ideal set up for an ambush but they dragged themselves to a win in the last 5 mins. Tip should have been further ahead, they will be devastated not to have won - that in itself tells its own story.
    Might be the kick in the are that Cork need.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Yes it helped them, but Cork are to blame for a haphazard performance.
    Saturday night, balmy conditions about 4000, quiet lead up to the game was an ideal set up for an ambush but they dragged themselves to a win in the last 5 mins. Tip should have been further ahead, they will be devastated not to have won - that in itself tells its own story.
    Might be the kick in the are that Cork need.

Capacity crowd tonight then yeah!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

We can't persist with the likes of John Hayes, Andrew O'Sullivan at this level amazed John Hayes lasted the whole match but Tipp should have won it they had so many scorable wides.

• Advertisement

Cork 0-16 v 1-11 Tip

I know what you are saying ShamoBuc but I see it differently - they played very well in the first half and got a slice of good fortune with their goal just before HT - as our debutant corner back made a bad mistake and was caough out of position.

They scored a few good pts and then pulled everyone back and it worked a dream but they couldn't take their scores in the last quarter - some terrible kicking from great positions. Also missed a lot dead balls from long range.
    They have themselves to blame and got exactly what they deserved.

They'll do well in the qualifiers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement