Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Shocking by Cork. The kick we badly need.

Jaysus, Amprodude - you took no prisioners, there. :) Now that you mention it, 1973 is a while ago alright.

True , too long for a team like Limerick not to have success.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Amprodude wrote: »
    Pity they couldnt finish the job and win a few titles any year they did give Cork a hiding. It would have looked a lot more glamourous in the history books.

Aye, it would.

Hopefully this will be our year though. The talent is there, just need the coaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

My god this thread is like a ghost town without Thinkstoomuch!Now the Kerry clique on here that get uptight at the mere mention of his name won't appreciate me saying this but wouldn't we all love to read his analysis on last nights match?You mightn't agree with him all the time but he's a passionate Cork GAA man that alway's call's it as he see's it.This thread is all the poorer without his insightful analysis.As regards to all this nonsense over the Munster hurling final venue.Now i would have a massive soft spot for Limerick hurling and football.I always like seeing Limerick do well (so long as it's not at Corks expense!) but the moaning coming out of Shannonside is pathetic.There is a home and away agreement in place honour it.There will be Cork supporters missing out on tickets as well but we want to see our hurlers give our pairc a final send off.As for the Limerick supporters that can't get tickets.Well ye can put up one of those Munster Rugby like big screens on O'Connell Street and watch the match there!

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭The White Feather

My god this thread is like a ghost town without Thinkstoomuch!Now the Kerry clique on here that get uptight at the mere mention of his name won't appreciate me saying this but wouldn't we all love to read his analysis on last nights match?You mightn't agree with him all the time but he's a passionate Cork GAA man that alway's call's it as he see's it.This thread is all the poorer without his insightful analysis.As regards to all this nonsense over the Munster hurling final venue.Now i would have a massive soft spot for Limerick hurling and football.I always like seeing Limerick do well (so long as it's not at Corks expense!) but the moaning coming out of Shannonside is pathetic.There is a home and away agreement in place honour it.There will be Cork supporters missing out on tickets as well but we want to see our hurlers give our pairc a final send off.As for the Limerick supporters that can't get tickets.Well ye can put up one of those Munster Rugby like big screens on O'Connell Street and watch the match there!

I agree totally with your post, Straight Talker. Hopefully Thinkstoomuch or his Alter Ego Thinkstoomuch1 (!!) posts here again giving his insight and predictions! People are quick to point out if his predictions go wrong but he is correct most of the time. At least his passion for GAA shines through all the time.

I dont understand this venue debate for the hurling final. The agreement is in place. We are at home so lets all get on with it.

In my effort to be positive and bring good news........

I think we all know Cork won against Tipperary yesterday

Munster Senior Football Semi-Final
    Cork 0-16 Tipperary 1-11

and the juniors also won

Munster Junior Football Semi-Final
    Cork 0-15 Limerick 0-13

In the first round of the Munster Senior Ladies Football Championship the result was

Cork 7-23 Clare 1-5

No thats not a misprint!

And in the Liberty Insurance Camogie Championship Group 1

Cork 4-24 Dublin 0-5

Now the Senior football game was too close for comfort but Cork had a lot of good wins recently!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭corkrobinhood

I know what you are saying ShamoBuc but I see it differently - they played very well in the first half and got a slice of good fortune with their goal just before HT - as our debutant corner back made a bad mistake and was caough out of position.

Thinkstoomuch1 had his opinions of certain players he wouldnt have on that Cork team anymore due to various reasons,and i've said it before,and i'll say it again,that Galvin lad will cost us dearly before the year is out if they keep playing him.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭sean mac

Thinkstoomuch1 had his opinions of certain players he wouldnt have on that Cork team anymore due to various reasons,and i've said it before,and i'll say it again,that Galvin lad will cost us dearly before the year is out if they keep playing him.

He is the ****ing least of our problems man ffs, we had a non existent half back line with the weakest midfield to play with cork in a long time last night. Add on only 1 half forward actually putting it in and its a miracle we didn't concede more. Galvin was caught for the goal but was solid.
    Iif people cant see the problem with cork is the naivete of Cuthbert with his nice football approach we are in trouble. In addition we have a keeper who has a terrible kick out and putting our already meek middle third under pressure to win ball.
    However for some reason you have this vendetta on noel galvin a debutant, when he isn't even close to our biggest problem, you are as bad as the former poster and his issue with john hayes, cop on man ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭corkrobinhood

Vendetta? This is an open forum where im entitled to express my opinions like anyone else.

If you dont agree so be it,thats your choice with your opinion.

Cop on? Again please read the above.

Lastly,there are several players I wouldnt be fond of in that Cork setup,if you want to read back through my posts over the League campaign you'll see I was a fan of Hayes to get a second chance but since then I feel his days are numbered,as with Andrew,Barry O Driscoll,had reservations about Kens kickouts,or Kelly in the backline.

I have no 'vendetta' with any individual player,ive pointed out flaws in many players games this year.

I commented on Galvin because the other poster who I quoted had brought him up.

I've seen Galvin play alot over the years,I dont rate him as Cork senior football standard.Other posters mentioned numerous other footballers from across all divisions over the last few months who they felt should be included in the county setup. And for each individual some poster or another either agreed or disagreed ( mostly Thinkstoomuch1,cause his knowledge was spot on to be fair ).

Thats my opinion on him,and until he shows me otherwise i'll continue with my views on him,and others around him.

Thats about as much 'coping on' as you'll get from me.....man.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

sean mac wrote: »
    He is the ****ing least of our problems man ffs, we had a non existent half back line with the weakest midfield to play with cork in a long time last night. Add on only 1 half forward actually putting it in and its a miracle we didn't concede more. Galvin was caught for the goal but was solid.
    Iif people cant see the problem with cork is the naivete of Cuthbert with his nice football approach we are in trouble. In addition we have a keeper who has a terrible kick out and putting our already meek middle third under pressure to win ball.
    However for some reason you have this vendetta on noel galvin a debutant, when he isn't even close to our biggest problem, you are as bad as the former poster and his issue with john hayes, cop on man ffs.

Thankyou corkrobinhood, I am entitled to my opinion sean mac about certain players just because you dont agree with it so what!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭lukin

Amprodude wrote: »
    Shocking by Cork. The kick we badly need.

People said the same after the Dublin game. How many kicks do we need?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,882 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

lukin wrote: »
    People said the same after the Dublin game. How many kicks do we need?

Think we'll find out in the Kerry game. They had a rough ride yesterday as well. Both should show a huge improvement, Cork really should win though. The absence of gooch will surely be felt.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Think we'll find out in the Kerry game. They had a rough ride yesterday as well. Both should show a huge improvement, Cork really should win though. The absence of gooch will surely be felt.

Kerry will do fine without gooch. We will learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

My god this thread is like a ghost town without Thinkstoomuch!Now the Kerry clique on here that get uptight at the mere mention of his name won't appreciate me saying this but wouldn't we all love to read his analysis on last nights match?You mightn't agree with him all the time but he's a passionate Cork GAA man that alway's call's it as he see's it.This thread is all the poorer without his insightful analysis.As regards to all this nonsense over the Munster hurling final venue

Personally, I don't miss TTMs posts - they were always incredibly long - to the point where if you were viewing on a mobile, you'd get a pain in your thumb from scrolling, additionally, I found his posts incredibly hard to read - points would wander off and become nonsensical to me from time to time. That's my problem to deal with, which I did - I put the guy on ignore before he stopped posting. So to answer your question - no, personally I wouldn't like to read TTMs post match analysis even if he does 'call it how he sees it'

With regard to being part of 'the Kerry clique' I think it's worth pointing out that I'm from Kerry, but I've been playing football in Cork since 2012 - not a long time I know, but I've been on this thread finding out bit by bit about the Cork county board, how competitions are ran etc. - it's been a very informative thread for me and I enjoy using it. Which is why I've made a few off the cuff comments regarding why posters on here continue to fawn and lament a single poster deciding to not post here anymore - it has literally turned this thread into a pantomime whereby posters, rather than simply posting their own thoughts and views on a topic, lament a poster who did it for them. Seriously - move on.

*That's the last I'm going to say on the matter - mods, if I'm out of line discussing another poster, feel free to do the necessary

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Gary Neville

I was in Limerick in 2010 when we won in extra time - we were as flat as a pancake but went on to win the AI.

I can understand why the dual players didn't start but that coupled with playing 2 forwards in defence was taking a huge risk - this was compounded by an awful return from our kick-outs. At least playing them in defence gave game time to Barry O Driscoll and he impressed. Colm has looked the business in every appearance, so far. Could he start v Kerry ?
    It's going to be very hard to decide what 6 forwards should start. Same applies to our HB line.

Even though it didn't show on Sat - I think our management is shrewd and will deliver v Kerry. Let's hope for a fitting send off to the tired old stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I was in Limerick in 2010 when we won in extra time - we were as flat as a pancake but went on to win the AI.

I can understand why the dual players didn't start but that coupled with playing 2 forwards in defence was taking a huge risk - this was compounded by an awful return from our kick-outs. At least playing them in defence gave game time to Barry O Driscoll and he impressed. Colm has looked the business in every appearance, so far. Could he start v Kerry ?
    It's going to be very hard to decide what 6 forwards should start. Same applies to our HB line.

Even though it didn't show on Sat - I think our management is shrewd and will deliver v Kerry. Let's hope for a fitting send off to the tired old stadium.
    Must be nice having options :pac:

I think both teams are well poised going into this game - they both struggled but came through, you learn from those types of matches, beating a team by 10 points doesn't stand to you, but getting through a hard fought match does in my experience.

Ultimately, if Kerry are without their two main forwards in JOD & Cooper, then Cork should win - they have the stronger squad imo

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Animal Bar

Lads after watching cork on Saturday night the one serious problem is in 1 position - In Goal. This is the 3rd time Ive seen him freeze on the kick outs. Last yr vs Kerry, league semi final vs dublin and saturday nite. When things are going well he is very good and is a good shot stopper but doesnt seem to be able to manage the game when the pressure comes on. He gets very indecisive and slows down all kicks, never kicking into space for a fielder to run onto. He tends to wait for the cork player to start the run and inevitably the cork player has already ran passed where the ball is landing. Sat night he did this at least 5 times. Seems to be a confidence thing to me. Interested to hear what others think?

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Gary Neville

Animal Bar wrote: »
    Lads after watching cork on Saturday night the one serious problem is in 1 position - In Goal. This is the 3rd time Ive seen him freeze on the kick outs. Last yr vs Kerry, league semi final vs dublin and saturday nite. When things are going well he is very good and is a good shot stopper but doesnt seem to be able to manage the game when the pressure comes on. He gets very indecisive and slows down all kicks, never kicking into space for a fielder to run onto. He tends to wait for the cork player to start the run and inevitably the cork player has already ran passed where the ball is landing. Sat night he did this at least 5 times. Seems to be a confidence thing to me. Interested to hear what others think?

It was a really frustrating experience to watch the kick-outs in the first half - we tended to kick short in the 2nd half. Exactly as you say there was no cohesion whatsoever and the sequence between kicks and runs was way off.

It must have been very frustrating for our players to make runs and then see the ball sail over their heads. I haven't seen the stats but we must have handed possession to Tipp on 6 occasions before HT alone. Against a really good side, that will be fatal.

Ken's own confidence and our MF'ers confidence in Ken was completely shot by HT.

This won't be rectified in 2 weeks and will remain our achilles heel especially as we don't have ball winning MF'ers in the mould of Nicholas Murphy.

It was an easy solution last season after a similar systems failure in Killarney - bring in A Quirke but our alternative now O Halloran is very inexperienced at this level - never played senior c/ship AFAIK.

We worked very hard on this but Ken is now so aware of the fault that, as you say, when he comes under pressure he freezes like Johnny Sexton v the All Blacks.

Kerry/E Fitz will be licking their lips in anticipation and it will give their MF'ers a huge boost.

I'd bite the bullet and change keepers now to prepare for next season as we won't win Sam again until this is addressed IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Munster and Leinster panels for Friday nights Ken McGrath challenge match in Waterford, good few of ye're lads playing if you fancy a spin up for it

ctfx.jpg

Tickets can be got here

D'Agger wrote: »
    Personally, I don't miss TTMs posts - they were always incredibly long - to the point where if you were viewing on a mobile, you'd get a pain in your thumb from scrolling, additionally, I found his posts incredibly hard to read - points would wander off and become nonsensical to me from time to time. That's my problem to deal with, which I did - I put the guy on ignore before he stopped posting. So to answer your question - no, personally I wouldn't like to read TTMs post match analysis even if he does 'call it how he sees it'

With regard to being part of 'the Kerry clique' I think it's worth pointing out that I'm from Kerry, but I've been playing football in Cork since 2012 - not a long time I know, but I've been on this thread finding out bit by bit about the Cork county board, how competitions are ran etc. - it's been a very informative thread for me and I enjoy using it. Which is why I've made a few off the cuff comments regarding why posters on here continue to fawn and lament a single poster deciding to not post here anymore - it has literally turned this thread into a pantomime whereby posters, rather than simply posting their own thoughts and views on a topic, lament a poster who did it for them. Seriously - move on.

*That's the last I'm going to say on the matter - mods, if I'm out of line discussing another poster, feel free to do the necessary

Seriously D'Agger he knows his stuff a lot more than what you bring to the table if you ask me. Don't put down a good poster. I think most people will agree here that TTM is one of the best Gaa posters around here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,882 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Barr's 1-14 v 0-13 Bishops town
    Douglas 1-19 v 3-10 SARS in tonights games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

Barr's 1-14 v 0-13 Bishops town

Some wins for Barrs and Douglas. Nice to see City clubs on the rise.

You have to wonder though are games before the 4th round just shadow boxing. You're nearly as well off losing the first round to have an extra game.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭sean mac

Figsy32 wrote: »
    Some wins for Barrs and Douglas. Nice to see City clubs on the rise.

You have to wonder though are games before the 4th round just shadow boxing. You're nearly as well off losing the first round to have an extra game.

Is this first sentence a joke? barrs and rockies are in a heap and will be beaten in the next round - this was their all Ireland final ffs. What is shows is how weak city hurling is except for douglas in fairness to them. Na piarsaigh and town have gone way back considering both ran sars close enough in counties in the last few years

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Kanturk won v Blarney, went to extra time 1-24 to 0-22

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

TTM has decided not to post, and leave it at that - its their decision. PM the user in question rather than going on about it on the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Michael Cussen got two goals. I demand a recall for him to the Cork Panels!!!!
    In both Hurling and Football too..........!!!!!

Now i will run and hide!!

Just kidding!

Michael Cussen got two goals. I demand a recall for him to the Cork Panels!!!!
    In both Hurling and Football too..........!!!!!

Now i will run and hide!!.

Just kidding!

I'd prefer to play with 14, it's ridiculous that he got so many games in a Cork jersey.

If there was a transfer market for Cussen, I'd gladly offload him. Should never have got hold of the Cork jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

sean mac wrote: »
    Is this first sentence a joke? barrs and rockies are in a heap and will be beaten in the next round - this was their all Ireland final ffs. What is shows is how weak city hurling is except for douglas in fairness to them. Na piarsaigh and town have gone way back considering both ran sars close enough in counties in the last few years

Blackrock in a heap? It's been a lean few years but it's starting to come together again.

4 out of the 5 last minor titles, 2 out of the 3 last 21s and are overwhelming favourites to win again this year, with 5 on the Cork 21 panel.

They would have slaughtered Na Piarsaigh only for a silly sending off.

They're a coming team.

Beating Bishopstown, county finalists very recently, suggests the Barrs are improving too, albeit I wouldn't know as much about them.

Neither are going to win a county, but it's a massive improvement from a couple years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Horse84

PUC confirmed for Munster final

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 btownboy

Delighted to hear it is in the Pairc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement