Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Meursault

Volvic12 wrote: »
    He may be from Kerry but has obviously identified Cork people as his main target audience. Read the articles again. Everyone one of them throws in sly digs against Limerick. IMO it's very poor journalism and what you want from a paper is balance. It will definitely have me question whether I will purchase it anymore. I'm sure others from Limerick feel the same.

That's your business. be sure to write a strongly worded letter to the editor, if you are that upset.

It would be impossible to view Limerick GAA's stance or approach to this in anyway positive, but please feel free to correct me here, with the commendable elements of Limerick GAA's approach/stance.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Volvic12

Meursault wrote: »
    That's your business. be sure to write a strongly worded letter to the editor, if you are that upset.

It would be impossible to view Limerick GAA's stance or approach to this in anyway positive, but please feel free to correct me here, with the commendable elements of Limerick GAA's approach/stance.

I don't understand how you feel Limerick are completely wrong here.

I totally understand Cork's side of it. Agreement between counties is there and it's Corks turn so in normal circumstances, game will be played in Cork.
    They also want to give Pairc Ui Chaoimh one last hurrah before the redevelopment - again a fair point.

BUT

Limerick IMO had a point too. A capacity of 32,000 is simply not sufficient for a Munster final. The stadium is completely outdated (seats, toilet facilities etc. are terrible). Tickets will be extremely hard to get for both sides. They are saying about 12,000 to each county. Rest to go to Minor counties, Corporates etc.

I'm just disappointed as I could struggle personally to get a ticket for the game. It's done now so we will just have to enjoy the trip down to Cork and hopefully bring the cup back again although will be tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Meursault

I don't understand how you feel Limerick are completely wrong here.

I totally understand Cork's side of it. Agreement between counties is there and it's Corks turn so in normal circumstances, game will be played in Cork.
    They also want to give Pairc Ui Chaoimh one last hurrah before the redevelopment - again a fair point.

BUT

Limerick IMO had a point too. A capacity of 32,000 is simply not sufficient for a Munster final. The stadium is completely outdated (seats, toilet facilities etc. are terrible). Tickets will be extremely hard to get for both sides. They are saying about 12,000 to each county. Rest to go to Minor counties, Corporates etc.

I'm just disappointed as I could struggle personally to get a ticket for the game. It's done now so we will just have to enjoy the trip down to Cork and hopefully bring the cup back again although will be tough.

Look, fair enough. No one is disputing PUC is a dump. Its gone after the two matches in July. Also, I understand the thinking behind making more tickets available. What is annoying is the apparent two faced approach to the Limerick chairman. That is not a slight at the Limerick team,the Limerick fans, or Limerick in general. He acted poorly here. All along he was saying he wouldnt object, but clearly he was trying to get the venue switch.

Anyway, its been finalised. lets just move on. It will make it all the sweeter for Limerick if you manage to retain your munster title in Cork, after all the talk over the last few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Volvic12

Look, fair enough. No one is disputing PUC is a dump. Its gone after the two matches in July. Also, I understand the thinking behind making more tickets available. What is annoying is the apparent two faced approach to the Limerick chairman. That is not a slight at the Limerick team,the Limerick fans, or Limerick in general. He acted poorly here. All along he was saying he wouldnt object, but clearly he was trying to get the venue switch.

Anyway, its been finalised. lets just move on. It will make it all the sweeter for Limerick if you manage to retain your munster title in Cork, after all the talk over the last few weeks

I agree. It's on in Cork and looking forward to the day out to be honest. Just hope I can secure a ticket

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Realistically playing politics which is what committtteeeeee men do. If he came out saying game should be moved beforehand and it was moved, Cork would have it pinned to the dressing room wall and rightly so. Tried to pin it on the munster council.

After it was confirmed for Cork he then had to make sure he wasn't lynched by the Limerick mob. I've not heard the interview and I bet most haven't but if he expressed dissapointment for people missing out there's no harm there either.

• Advertisement

slingerz wrote: »
    If you are a dedicated follower you are likely to have a season ticket meaning you would get a ticket for this game.

If you are involved with your local club then they are likely to sort out a ticket for you.

I am skeptical as to whether genuine fans will miss the game due to capacity concerns

Agreed that fair play to genuine fans for getting a season ticket and sat through league games on cold evenings in February deserve a ticket. Anyone who really wants a ticket will get one somehow.

Agree also that club members that help running the club deserve one but its a shame the capacity isn't more. Realistically peoples definition of genuine fan differ greatly!

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭rebs23

He may be from Kerry but has obviously identified Cork people as his main target audience. Read the articles again. Everyone one of them throws in sly digs against Limerick. IMO it's very poor journalism and what you want from a paper is balance. It will definitely have me question whether I will purchase it anymore. I'm sure others from Limerick feel the same.
    If Limerick came across very badly in all of this it is because the campaign to have it moved was pathetic and underhand. Simple as.

Agreed. Sure we'll help start the demolition win or lose!!!

Well, that's big of 'em. They had home advantage last year, how could they possibly have an issue with coming to Cork this year ?

Yes because since 2001 Cork had 2 home games and limerick had one. If Cork reneged it would have been far worse form if they didn't come up than Limerick not going down to Cork this year. Surely you could agree with that? I've posted the venues in the match thread if you want to look.

Agree it would have been sad if the agreement ended as I think Limerick fans enjoy the trip to Cork!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

I think certain Limerick supporters are really starting to embarrass themselves with their carry on now.The Examiner anti Limerick.:rolleyes: Your chairman said that he had no problem with coming to Cork and now he's throwing the toys out of the pram over the matter.If you don't want to buy the Examiner then that's up to you.To be fair Diarmuid O'Flynn and Tony Considine always grovel to ye in it!I have great time for Limerick GAA but i have to say that it's being tested at the moment reading tripe like this.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Gary Neville

D'Agger wrote: »
    When was the agreement made though, 12 months ago? Prior to the news that PUC is going to be redeveloped which is of course badly needed - so why not play in Limerick? I don't think it's as absurd as it's being made out to be

I don't blame them for wanting it reviewed, I do take umbrage to the Chairmans comments since though - he should have let it lie.

But overall, hoping a team get a hiding based on the comments of one man, labelling a county as dishonorable & trying to win at all costs is a tad over the top I think.

It's amazing how people just see what they want to see.

Limerick, Cork & Tipp have or are about to spend big to develop stadia and H & A agreements are vital to their CB's, local economies and Munster Council- they should and will continue.

Cork's stadium is old and uncomfortable and has a smaller capacity imposed largely for H & S reasons. The capacity is not small enough to warrant a suspension of existing H & A agreements.

There's nothing new on the table in recent seasons. Cork plan to act on requirements to take capacity to 35/37 K.

It made economic sense for MC to ask if Cork would go to Thurles but as supporters had been there 3 times already in large numbers, Cork could not entertain the request.

That was the end of the matter - full stop. The behaviour of the Limerick CB as articulated by their chairman, Oliver Mann has been disappointing, to say the least. Unless the man is a complete clown, he knew that there wasn't a pup's chance of the MC over-riding a valid agreement. Why engage in a media circus and sour relations with their friends in Cork ?

Tipp's actions were also somewhat disappointing as well established protocol distates that H & A are renewed as a matter of form - with the side that were home last, travelling on the 1st game of the new agreement. Tipp agreed to renew but refused to travel so Cork had to go to Thurles twice in a row. AFAIK an under-pressure Eamon O Shea dictated.

Hence my comment about a win at all cost approach creeping in.

Limerick's actions were IMO far more disappointing than Tipps.

These H & A agreements will continue in spite of the actions of people like Mr Mann - his comments and actions are not what the GAA is all about. Cork CB are far from perfect as we all know but they value long term friendships with our great friends and neighbours in Tipp & Limerick - let's hope that we get back to behaving as friends should. Far from criticising the Examiner - let's hope their reporting of Mr. Mann's comments will prompt better behaviour in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 btownboy

Let's talk about hurling and football once again on this thread. And discuss the best sporting county which is Cork as it does it supporters proud in both codes.

Cork people don't need to be side tracked by negative subjects and issues instigated by negative types. We are positive by nature and focus on the best of what we have and we put that forward and are proud of our county, city and stadia. I will be very proud to be in our great, historic stadium in July for the munster finals. I'll be proud to welcome our rivals and show them what we have to offer in terms of our great players, our sportsmanship and our never say die attitude. I am really buzzing with anticipation to see our great teams show our opponents what the blood and bandage is all about. Cork sport, cork sportsmen and supporters are unique and the best supporters in the world.

ROLL ON JULY SO WE CAN SEE OUR COUNTY'S HEROES DO US PROUD ONCE MORE.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭patsyrockem

I think that Frankeen held his ground for the 12000 genuine supporters who marched up Patrick Street in support of the Cork 'legends' and footballers in 2009, they can each expect a ticket in the post by Friday evening. That is the Cork allocation sorted. Frank also promised Imelda May, Tom Jones, Robert Plant and Dolly Parton 1000 tickets each for their friends and family if they came back to play at his second last retirement party in Barry's Hotel on the 8th of September. Puff diddy, Status Quo, Miley Cyrus, Frank and Walters, Sultans of Ping, Bishopstown Choral society, Grenagh ceili band, Blackpool yodelling group and cha/mia 500 tickets each for playing the first Siamsa on the re-opening of the parc in June 2015. Brian Crowley has also been promised 1000 tickets for his new Eurosceptic friends who are invited to visit Cork on the 13th of July to view euro sceptism at its finest. Conchita Wurst and marty Morrissey will sing the National Anthem before the minor match, 500 tickets for entourage, 500 tickets for make up. 9000 tickets left to be distributed evenly between 300+ cork clubs, Waterford minors, Michael martin, Michael lowry, keith barry, donal o grady, john allen, Justin mc carthy. And 168 tickets to be given to Limerick, any left over to be returned to Cork secretary for re-distribution!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't forget Roy Keane, Rob Heffernan, Spike and Sonia O'Sullivan.

I'd like to see them there too! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭thesultan

What happened to thinkstomuch on this?

He decided not to post. End of story.

Great idea from RebelRed on PROC:

The " Live At The Marquee " tent should be used to show the game live on a big screen.

Let the lads on the piss for the day who have no bloody interest in the game go in there and keep more tickets available for genuine fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

thesultan wrote: »
    What happened to thinkstomuch on this?
    I think thinkstoomuch will definitely come back and post again! He got an awful lot of stick from people on here, and I didn't always agree with him, but you could never fault his passion or knowledge. And you could always ask him a question and get a damn good answer in reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭DD Mikasa

Archer3083 wrote: »
    I think thinkstoomuch will definitely come back and post again! He got an awful lot of stick from people on here, and I didn't always agree with him, but you could never fault his passion or knowledge. And you could always ask him a question and get a damn good answer in reply.

Agreed on this. He was a good source of info. Now all you seem to have on here is people going on about the Munster final venue ad nauseum.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,882 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

DD Mikasa wrote: »
    Agreed on this. He was a good source of info. Now all you seem to have on here is people going on about the Munster final venue ad nauseum.

.....or people talking about a poster who has stopped posting for a while!
    I wish we could simply leave it at that.

Both Munster finals are intriguing in there own way. We could just as easily do the double as lose both. The footballers got the fright of their lives against Tip and that should hopefully wake them from their slumber. They have a good team with some excellent scoring forwards. Added to the small fella being missing for Kerry I can see us coming out on top in a very close game.
    The hurlers are there on merit. The extra game with Waterford was exactly what they needed to sharpen up for Clare. Revenge will be in the air for last year and I think they are too good for Limerick this time round. I can see us winning both, hopefully!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭slingerz

Good win for Cork Ladies today Eimear Scally made a big impact when inteiduced

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Kerry play Clare on Wednesday, more than likely will beat them and the Munster final is on the 12th July, in Rathmore

Scally is a special player, will be an interesting final!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭thesultan

Archer3083 wrote: »

He was the reason I read the Cork GAA board.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭malascoile

Are the u21s playing tipp in a challenge match tonight or tomorrow night in Fermoy?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭corkrobinhood

Ventured down to Youghal for Midleton vs Killeagh in the SHC Round 2 game earlier,definetly the Conor Lehane show,some display by him again,lost count the amount of points he got,and he missed a good few after that too!

Luke O Farrell showed well too,Jamie Nagle who many feel should have got a run with the Cork team by now was steady all the way through,Haughney and Harnett who both featured for Cork already this year went off injured early in the game.

A stalwart of many a great Cork victory,Joe Deane,played in midfield for Killeagh,still has that touch of class even if the pace is long gone.

Once Midleton got the early goals the game was pretty much over as a contest.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

TTM has decided not to post here - it is their decision. PM the user in question rather than constantly mentioning it on thread if you want to try and convince them to start posting again

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Ventured down to Youghal for Midleton vs Killeagh in the SHC Round 2 game earlier,definetly the Conor Lehane show,some display by him again,lost count the amount of points he got,and he missed a good few after that too!

Luke O Farrell showed well too,Jamie Nagle who many feel should have got a run with the Cork team by now was steady all the way through,Haughney and Harnett who both featured for Cork already this year went off injured early in the game.

Did Luke O'Farrell play the full game?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

malascoile wrote: »
    Are the u21s playing tipp in a challenge match tonight or tomorrow night in Fermoy?

anyone know about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

anyone know about this?

I'm only guessing but the fact there's 21 club championship starting tonight would probably suggest there isn't? Or if there was it would have been a fairly depleted squad surely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭malascoile

Figsy32 wrote: »
    I'm only guessing but the fact there's 21 club championship starting tonight would probably suggest there isn't? Or if there was it would have been a fairly depleted squad surely.

Its on tonight atr 7:30 I think

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement