Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Orizio wrote: »
    Putting your best man marker on your opponent's star inside forward is inspired stuff alright.

youd be suprised how many managers fail to do what logic requires.
    Have at a look at cork u21 last few years,when basic.match ups were got wrong.
    Look at mismatch ups in Killareney 2013 senior football.
    Look at what james o donoughe done this year yet we waited 35 minutes.

Most will agree Corks finest defender Sherlock should have started in 06,didnt happen worse again fogarty got around goal and 3 before it was changed.
    Thats the difference you see a top manager does what needd to be done basics so well.
    I certainly wouldnt be underestmating it when you yee how we had a senior football midfild,crying out for change,yet it never happened.

Gardiner done what needed to done.
    I agree ,lots others ahead of him,landers,Young Crowley,Pat ryan,sean o brien,eddie murphy.but its no harm to develop coaches.
    Peter Coady is a top trainer also
    Sherlock has potential, Browne also
    The rock with the u16s doing okay
    We need more of the class of 2003.etc and less of 90 brigade involved in cork teams,as we need young innovatie coaches.
    Donegal minor footballers appointed bonnar as hes doing well with them.

He said he will commit to coaching for the next ten years.
    Gardiner if successful at underage,to learn hes trade should go othee clubs,if it arose,mallow,ballyhea etc and see what he can do.
    If i was a young coach,mallow be a dream job as there is talent there

It would be unlikely no matter how good gardiner was if he got a cork job

Frank is over 70 - there's every chance that he'll retire within the next 30 years. He'll probably have given PUC another facelift at a cost of €3 billion, by then.

Gardiner would be around the same age that JBM is now so there's loads of time for him yet.
    He is going big in to coaching he said for the next ten years

Likey to get another intercounty job before Cork
    When frank retires a lot depends on who is in charge next.

Ciaran sheehan making AFL debut saturday carlton v the Gold coast Suns as a back.

Anywhere to watch that game live?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 jommer01

menace404 wrote: »
    Plenty of other ex-player coaches who are well into their development (with some notable proven records already) that would be way ahead of Gardiner and OHailpin in the pecking order. Just off the top of my head for example, you have Mark Landers doing great work at the the moment and Duirmuid O Sull coaching under-17s aswell.

Lads how much of a better position would Cork be in if you had the likes of Landers, Joe Deane and Donal Og in charge of minor and under 21 teams? The sad reality is that it will never happen under the current "regime".

I'd love to see Donal Og replace JBM when he decides he's had enough, job is rightfully his as long as he wants it, but unfortunately we're more likely to see him take charge of one of rivals and I wouldn't blame him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

Ciaran sheehan making AFL debut saturday carlton v the Gold coast Suns as a back.

Ask here maybe: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1029

EDIT: There's an "AFL on Irish TV" thread, this week's matches are here, and as far as I can gather it doesn't look like that match is on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 menace404

It is on ESPN at 5am on Saturday Morning. ESPN have loads of Aussie Rules games.

Ask here maybe: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1029

EDIT: There's an "AFL on Irish TV" thread, this week's matches are here, and as far as I can gather it doesn't look like that match is on.

Thank you

It is on ESPN at 5am on Saturday Morning. ESPN have loads of Aussie Rules games.

Thank.you

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

yup, as menace says its on ESPN at 5am, and will be repeated at 3.30pm in the afternoon. Highlights of the game will be on Monday evening. The TV listings for each week generally get posted on the AFL forum the Thursday before the weekends games.

How did Setanta O'Hailpin ever get on with the AFL actually?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

He never really made it, a guy from Melbourne told me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

average. he played a good few games for Carlton, but they were pretty poor. He was tried in a few positions, but full forward was his main one. He had one decent season, with him and 3 small aboriginal forwards beside him, giving them the nickname Setanta and his little helpers. He suffered a bad knee injury and was out injured, and Carlton let him go. He signed up with Great Western Sydney and kind of ironically, he did his cruciate again playing Carlton whilst having a decent game at the time. Never made it back into the side and was let go from there after only a handful of games. Not entirely sure what he is at right now, but last I heard he was playing for a district league team in Victoria with Aisake. Think he still has some AFL work with GWS in recruitment and expansion, but cant be certain on that. He made a career out of it in fairness to him, and did as much as most players do, but was far from a star or key player, not to say the extent that Kennelly, or Tuohy and Hanley are now.

I've always wondered how he'd have done for Cork if he hadn't left for Australia back then.

Cork hurlers have always being losing stars. Setanta, Sweetnam to name a few.

I've always wondered how he'd have done for Cork if he hadn't left for Australia back then.

Pity we lost him but it was great to see another great player Brian Corcoran to rejoin Cork panel and win 2 more AI medals.

I wouldnt put cusack,im a huge fan,but not as the main man just yet

My next management team would be Ger Cunningham ,Matthews if he wants still to be coach,if not peter coady ,landers be a selector(like kinnerk with clare a link from u21 to senior),cusack be goalkeeping coach but other roles also.
    Cunningham has a proven record,so so sad he wont get the cork job yet an unproven manager walks in to the football job.The irony of it.

U21 hurling landers be manager(progression and a link from minor),jerry wallis coach ,Sherlock be there,and id have pat harnett involved.Wallace rates Landers higehly.What a wonderful combination it would be of a student and a Master.

Minors ,cusack ,The Rock and Liam hayes deserves a selector role.
    Some man to scout for players
    Ronan dwayne a selector.

Donal og Grady director of hurling.
    Likes of Deane,gardiner,cathal casey,be with the development squads.

Id be getting Michael deasy from western samoa rubgy in to strength and conditioning and Ian jones if he comes home involved in teams.A brillant read on Jones in todays echo.Bring back cork coaches.Look after our own first and foremost.

In Football Billy Morgan would be. director  of football with Eammon Ryan given a huge role also

Id have Kieran Shannon as Sports physcologist to be available to all codes,all grades.Dr.con murphy team doctor,and when he retires.hes son a doctor a viable option

In a head management role id have John Allen as Liasion Officer.between all teams and codes at all levels and the board.Allens great strength is a facilltor,use it.A great  go to man for players.
    Id have role  for Keith Ricken if he.could commit to it.

Id have Brian cuthbhert as Cork Communications general manager overall.He is excellent at that,and relishes the Role of dealing with the media.Hes a natural in that role.
    Id run Cork Gaa like a business,you have people in defined,specalised roles that first and foremost utilses their strengths.

Cleary be the senior football manager ,Ned english would be there ,Gene o Driscoll(im aware haven lads here wont like Gene with a haven man but for the Greater good for Cork Football ,Briges  Must be Built.Forget club rivarlies.Were repersenting Cork.It means more.Peace and harmony,allows great things to Blossom.

Time Heals all wounds but you must take the ist step.
    Anyone with too much pride and club ego Intercounty ,tell them thanks but stay away.

We owe it to Cork football.
    German football broke down the east and west,became united and there flying.
    Ronan mccarthy i have been suprised with,he has impressed me to be fair unlucky to loose out but he has been under failed.teams with counihan,now cuthbhert,so we need fresh energy

Get Ed coughlan witb mayo back home as strength condition coach.Let cork gain froms he Mayo and expierence in atheles in Liverpool

U21 sean hayes be the manager,ronan mccarthy coach
    Gene involved as a selector to provide a link to senior.
    Colin corkery,Ephie fitzgerald also

Minor james mccarthy as manager,paudie kissane coach, tony leahy.as. selector he provides expierence helps james grow.
    Conor mccarthy selector

I would also competely revamp this notion that certain men,with minor teams,u21 teams that are given selectorial roles year after year when there coaching records if any are poor.

There face fits so there accodomated where they take up a selectorial role that could be better taken by a young upcoming coach.

Derek kavanagh,sexton, ciaran sullivan,noel o leary etc offer them the chance to work with development squads or as selectors .Anthony lynch fits the bill but has no interest in coaching.and that must be respected.A keen cyclist i believe now.Id pour money into Cork underage gaa.
    John hayes i feel would make a terrific coach.Get him involved.

Every  management set up would only be given two year maximum term to start with,reviwed after year one if Certain Mininum targets not achieved.

You win an all ireland,not guarantee another term.Almost.guarantees a new term but the two years on must be judged on face value.Can they bring Cork to the next level in a new two years

A manager would be given a full freedom to do it hes way in charge but will be judged on results.

I would prohibit the Word Cycles inside the four walls of Pairc Ui Caoimh in we win but,expect bad days as an unjustifed excuse for loosing.

Kilkenny,Cork Ladies Football,New.Zealand,Man United,Kerry Dont believe in Cycles.Cork shouldnt either.

Cork have been a Cycle of Turmoil in underage hurling,minor football,senior football down the years ,senior hurling were still trying to break.So much for Cycles eh.
    Wheres the good cycle??still waiting

Blaming famines over 5 years etc.on cycles for a sporting County the size of Cork and as Great as Cork imo is simply not good enough.

Radical,ruthless change in management appointess needed for the successful evoloution of cork gaa needs to be done.

Fans,media, coaches,board,players all have huge parts play in cork gaa.No one piece ever made a jigsaw puzzle.

Id have a Cork Supporters club with funding by the board.Entice fans to support both codes equally.
    Id encourage open,honest journalism and when things are wrong embrace,encourage constructive critisim of all things cork gaa instead of treating it with dissain and at a distance and you say it best when you say nothing all  ,notion.

Cork gaa would be a SUPERPOWER IF RADICAL CHANGE occurred.

As for Setanta,Bruschi explained it well.He would have been untouchable if he stayed hurling,as he would have contined to improve no end.He got married last year as far as im aware and happly settled in Australia now.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Smith614

Amprodude wrote: »
    Cork hurlers have always being losing stars. Setanta, Sweetnam to name a few.

Always?? That's 2. Can u name a few more.

David meyer,tomas o leary,evan o connell,dave o callaghan,etc.
    Smith614 wrote: »
    Always?? That's 2. Can u name a few more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

I wouldnt put cusack,im a huge fan,but not as the main man just yet

My next management team would be Ger Cunningham ,Matthews if he wants still to be coach,if not peter coady ,landers be a selector(like kinnerk with clare a link from u21 to senior),cusack be goalkeeping coach but other roles also.
    Cunningham has a proven record,so so sad he wont get the cork job yet an unproven manager walks in to the football job.The irony of it.

U21 hurling landers be manager(progression and a link from minor),jerry wallis coach ,Sherlock be there,and id have pat harnett involved.Wallace rates Landers higehly.What a wonderful combination it would be of a student and a Master.

Minors ,cusack ,The Rock and Liam hayes deserves a selector role.
    Some man to scout for players
    Ronan dwayne a selector.

Donal og Grady director of hurling.
    Likes of Deane,gardiner,cathal casey,be with the development squads.

Id be getting Michael deasy from western samoa rubgy in to strength and conditioning and Ian jones if he comes home involved in teams.A brillant read on Jones in todays echo.Bring back cork coaches.Look after our own first and foremost.

In Football Billy Morgan would be. director  of football with Eammon Ryan given a huge role also

Id have Kieran Shannon as Sports physcologist to be available to all codes,all grades.Dr.con murphy team doctor,and when he retires.hes son a doctor a viable option

In a head management role id have John Allen as Liasion Officer.between all teams and codes at all levels and the board.Allens great strength is a facilltor,use it.A great  go to man for players.
    Id have role  for Keith Ricken if he.could commit to it.

Id have Brian cuthbhert as Cork Communications general manager overall.He is excellent at that,and relishes the Role of dealing with the media.Hes a natural in that role.
    Id run Cork Gaa like a business,you have people in defined,specalised roles that first and foremost utilses their strengths.

Cleary be the senior football manager ,Ned english would be there ,Gene o Driscoll(im aware haven lads here wont like Gene with a haven man but for the Greater good for Cork Football ,Briges  Must be Built.Forget club rivarlies.Were repersenting Cork.It means more.Peace and harmony,allows great things to Blossom.

Time Heals all wounds but you must take the ist step.
    Anyone with too much pride and club ego Intercounty ,tell them thanks but stay away.

We owe it to Cork football.
    German football broke down the east and west,became united and there flying.
    Ronan mccarthy i have been suprised with,he has impressed me to be fair unlucky to loose out but he has been under failed.teams with counihan,now cuthbhert,so we need fresh energy

Get Ed coughlan witb mayo back home as strength condition coach.Let cork gain froms he Mayo and expierence in atheles in Liverpool

U21 sean hayes be the manager,ronan mccarthy coach
    Gene involved as a selector to provide a link to senior.
    Colin corkery,Ephie fitzgerald also

Minor james mccarthy as manager,paudie kissane coach, tony leahy.as. selector he provides expierence helps james grow.
    Conor mccarthy selector

I would also competely revamp this notion that certain men,with minor teams,u21 teams that are given selectorial roles year after year when there coaching records if any are poor.

There face fits so there accodomated where they take up a selectorial role that could be better taken by a young upcoming coach.

Derek kavanagh,sexton, ciaran sullivan,noel o leary etc offer them the chance to work with development squads or as selectors .Anthony lynch fits the bill but has no interest in coaching.and that must be respected.A keen cyclist i believe now.Id pour money into Cork underage gaa.
    John hayes i feel would make a terrific coach.Get him involved.

Every  management set up would only be given two year maximum term to start with,reviwed after year one if Certain Mininum targets not achieved.

You win an all ireland,not guarantee another term.Almost.guarantees a new term but the two years on must be judged on face value.Can they bring Cork to the next level in a new two years

A manager would be given a full freedom to do it hes way in charge but will be judged on results.

I would prohibit the Word Cycles inside the four walls of Pairc Ui Caoimh in we win but,expect bad days as an unjustifed excuse for loosing.

Kilkenny,Cork Ladies Football,New.Zealand,Man United,Kerry Dont believe in Cycles.Cork shouldnt either.

Cork have been a Cycle of Turmoil in underage hurling,minor football,senior football down the years ,senior hurling were still trying to break.So much for Cycles eh.
    Wheres the good cycle??still waiting

Blaming famines over 5 years etc.on cycles for a sporting County the size of Cork and as Great as Cork imo is simply not good enough.

Radical,ruthless change in management appointess needed for the successful evoloution of cork gaa needs to be done.

Fans,media, coaches,board,players all have huge parts play in cork gaa.No one piece ever made a jigsaw puzzle.

Id have a Cork Supporters club with funding by the board.Entice fans to support both codes equally.
    Id encourage open,honest journalism and when things are wrong embrace,encourage constructive critisim of all things cork gaa instead of treating it with dissain and at a distance and you say it best when you say nothing all  ,notion.

Cork gaa would be a SUPERPOWER IF RADICAL CHANGE occurred.

As for Setanta,Bruschi explained it well.He would have been untouchable if he stayed hurling,as he would have contined to improve no end.He got married last year as far as im aware and happly settled in Australia now.

Sher thats all sorted so

keep going wrote: »
    Sher thats all sorted so

No as it wont even contemplated but it would make a huge diiference as at least you have coaches in roles with proven expierence to guide others
    And the right people are in the right positions

You always here the old cliche,this.guy loves cork gaa,and hes manager.Its not enough,must be complimented by other skills

There are thousands cork people with a superb love of the game.Does not mean there management.level,however they could do many other roles succesfully in cork gaa.
    Its actually quite simplistic.,not that hard to do but wont happen as some are relucant to change.

• Advertisement

Tony Forristsal Tournament
    Cork have Laois,Dublin, on the 30 th of August in Mount sion

The Sony Walsh tournament is on the same day in Poleberry,Cork play Wexford,Klkenny and Dublin.

The finals are on in Walsh Park that eveing.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Smith614

That's a rubbish argument, if you want to believe that dream on. You could say Sean og, Aidan Walsh etc were lost to rugby etc. Young lads of course are going to have a choice and if you expect every young lad to choose GAA you are dreaming. Winning an AI minor medal or good structures etc wont keep them if there is a lure of pro. sport.

That's a rubbish argument, if you want to believe that dream on. You could say Sean og, Aidan Walsh etc were lost to rugby etc. Young lads of course are going to have a choice and if you expect every young lad to choose GAA you are dreaming. Winning an AI minor medal or good structures etc wont keep them if there is a lure of pro. sport.

a question was asked,i answered it.

O leary and meyler made a choice to swtich codes,thats.their choice i wish them the best.
    Like i wish sweetnham the best hence why i would bar the hurling be in thomond saturday supporting one of corks own in the rubgy sevens as he plays with munster.

By the Same token ill try to watch that afl game to support ciaran and why i watched the fa cup final to support meyler or whenever Damien Delaney plays soccer i try to watch hes game. He was a Cork minor 99,two goals v mayo in semi final we lost.A super midfielder he would have been.

I wished like many cork fans they stayed but i support them in their chosen code as its their choice.

O leary,in 2001 all ireland minor hurling he was captain and a fine hurler.
    Meyler was a fine u21 hurler.
    Evan o connell a talented youngster but i hope he makes it at celtic and in time ireland.

Sean og ,aidan walsh lost to rubgy??
    Your right lads in most clubs are being lost to soccer and rubgy all.the time.Its going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

What's rubbish? You asked a question about lads that played underage GAA for Cork that chose another sport over GAA, and he told you who these players were, and he missed more than a few. (Aisake, Dan Morrissey etc)

Now you are just changing the argument because his answer didn't suit your point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Next manager will be Kingston, guaranteed.

I wouldnt have kingston over cunningham but id glady take him as manager over others.A fine coach,and players buy in to him.

Just cause he is with the set up now,like previous men doesnt mean he will get it.

I heard pat kenneally,wants it,sees himself like cuthbhert as the chosen one.

He was captain cork,intermediate.minor,u21 manager.
    103fm had him as So called expert anaylist kantrurk v eire og in the county final day.Gets in the paper a lot.

Has huge,you truly could not believe the support he has with the board.Bob ryan ,same man gave casting vote in a deadlock in.voting to Cuthbhert,said last year.Cork minor team was one of the best ever trained teams,lived off we took all ireland champions to extra time,and that was a month or so before he then without any debate or vote got Cork u21 job which was imo a complete joke and we suffered a nightmare v clare yet tipp took them to extra time.

I heard from many,nailed on to get the job.A cert.

I truly hope im wrong and you are right.Whatever happens v tipp i hope jbm stays on for two more years as if we give the job to who i think we will cork will struggle to even compete.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

,evan o Connell gone from the Glen?:confused:
    Garan Manley after joining Cork City?

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

,evan o Connell gone from the Glen?:confused:
    Garan Manley after joining Cork City?

Presuming he means Eoghan O'Connell.

Eoghan o connell blackrock and st michaels
    Cousin paul o.connell rubgy player

I didnt hear bout garan manley

I wouldnt be suprised douglas jason kabia u14 ,fine footballer,joins soccer as dad played ,cant think of hes name for cork city as a.striker years ago and the lad won a.cup medal with rochestown earlier this year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,881 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I wouldnt be suprised douglas jason kabia u14 ,fine footballer,joins soccer as dad played ,cant think of hes name for cork city as a.striker years ago and the lad won a.cup medal with rochestown earlier this year.

His name was Jason as well, joke was that he could only score in Sidetracks. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement