Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Poor loss,two reasons we lost we Woefully put Shane o neill in full back,but also got the match up all wrong,and i never wanted o neill on callilan.Fair play callilan stood up today,had a great game.

The better team won,no excuse of long lays offs,not the reason we lost,management imo got it totally wrong on the sideline.
    I said if we lost,it would be on the sideline,and today they were poor.

Ist touch ,striking was awful,but kilkenny handle the break,we should be able to.

In three years,Cork have never solved the full back aera.and.for cork to move forward has to be the prioriy in the league.Worse again their.making a fine player in shane o neill look poor.

I said the munster final win,was against an average.limerick,and not to get carried away.

Tipp thrive in open spaces,flowing hurling,we played in to their hands today,their good but not that good,and kk will win it,as it will be a war of attrition.

Congrats to limerick minors,like i expeccted,blew,galway away.Fair play to jerry wallace.
    Its show good cork minors were to.push them all the way.

Im sure,as its the end of jbm term,some may say,time to go,but even though.he made mistakes,i.hope he stays,as if he goes,the next man to be manager,all i say is god help us.People need to wake up here,ger cunningham,wallis,cusack,landers etc will never get the cork job unfortunately,Kenneally will get it when jbm goes.
    So please god jbm stays.

Jbm ,will be offered a new term,i would of said,he would of stayed withoubt a doubt before today,i hope the huge loss doesnt affect hes decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

If anything you'd imagine that JBM would want to stay on after today's loss to atone for the nature of the defeat. Remember he only left after 99 when Cork won an AI. So I think JBM would only leave on a high.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Don't know much about that player from youghal Cooper but if he can make this team Cork are in serious trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Cork have now gone 9 years without an AI. We may be waiting a long time to win it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Poor loss,two reasons we lost we Woefully put Shane o neill in full back,but also got the match up all wrong,and i never wanted o neill on callilan.Fair play callilan stood up today,had a great game.

The better team won,no excuse of long lays offs,not the reason we lost,management imo got it totally wrong on the sideline.
    I said if we lost,it would be on the sideline,and today they were poor.

Ist touch ,striking was awful,but kilkenny handle the break,we should be able to.

In three years,Cork have never solved the full back aera.and.for cork to move forward has to be the prioriy in the league.Worse again their.making a fine player in shane o neill look poor.

I said the munster final win,was against an average.limerick,and not to get carried away.

Tipp thrive in open spaces,flowing hurling,we played in to their hands today,their good but not that good,and kk will win it,as it will be a war of attrition.

Congrats to limerick minors,like i expeccted,blew,galway away.Fair play to jerry wallace.
    Its show good cork minors were to.push them all the way.

Im sure,as its the end of jbm term,some may say,time to go,but even though.he made mistakes,i.hope he stays,as if he goes,the next man to be manager,all i say is god help us.People need to wake up here,ger cunningham,wallis,cusack,landers etc will never get the cork job unfortunately,Kenneally will get it when jbm goes.
    So please god jbm stays.

Jbm ,will be offered a new term,i would of said,he would of stayed withoubt a doubt before today,i hope the huge loss doesnt affect hes decision.

You couldnt blame that result solely on the managemnt, there was no determination in the players today they were awful. It was a bad call playing cronin but as we've seen JBM has stood by him after very average performances in munster. Better team won on the day deservedly.

• Advertisement

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Don't know much about that player from youghal Cooper but if he can make this team Cork are in serious trouble

Politics a big problem and the day Frank goes will be a good day for Cork GAA. That performance today was a disgrace and we speak bad of the footballers myself included.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭skaface

Amprodude wrote: »
    Cork have now gone 9 years without an AI. We may be waiting a long time to win it again.

What would you do if you lived in Waterford... We haven't won a Senior AI
    in 55 years !!

Lawton,Cian mac,eoin Cadogan,haughney,collins shouldnt be near the panel next year.

Harnedy must be capatain.
    Cahahane ,hurling or football,not both.

Dualism is a joke,sometimes you go for too much you finish up with egg on yourself,get nothing,like the dual lads.

Spillane,,jack sheehan,dennehy must simply must get games in the league.
    Murphy,jamie nagle,barry,mick walsh to be tried at half back

Forwards are fine,but id add pa callaghan,anthiny spillane,and micheal sullivan and john cronin.

Pa cronin had a good game,won a lot of ball,certainly better than Lehane,horgan etc today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

There's a real lack of technical ability in Cork hurling at the moment. Too many plough-horses and not enough hurlers.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

JBM must go after today. Walsh Cronin and Cahalane follow suit.

That's very harsh! It was a very bad move to start Cronin today. He obviously wasn't fit. All he did was foul. It's not his fault. JBM should have known better. Paudie O'Sullivan should have started as a fit man is better any day than an unfit player.

• Advertisement

Absoultely,imo its fair blame it on management.Lets have some honesty here .

The match ups were all wrong,o neill at full,mcdonnell at seven.
    Touch,intensity was way off,management knew we had a layoff,up to them to have cork ready.

As for the poster,doesnt know much regards cooper in hes own words ,how can you judge him as a right off then .Some blueprint you have to judge a player.

Ill give you some facts regards cooper,you may like to know before you right him off.

The lad is just back one year hurling after a woeful injury.had no league games,in panel since may lost a lot of years to rubgy,very much a work in progress,at least he showed for the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

Archer3083 wrote: »
    That's very harsh! It was a very bad move to start Cronin today. He obviously wasn't fit. All he did was foul. It's not his fault. JBM should have known better. Paudie O'Sullivan should have started as a fit man is better any day than an unfit player.

That guy is a wum. Not worth replying to.

Deco99 wrote: »

I am from Cork so i am judging todays performance. They were so bad today the players i mentioned need a good kick in the whole for not performing today and giving Tipp a false dawn for the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

Deco99 wrote: »

I hope he doesnt reply to me cause I have him on ignore ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭solwhit2

It's the same problems with cork now for years no full back and no ball winners in the half forward line until these issues are solved we won't be winning all Ireland's any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Cork forwards and midfield got cleaned out. A total score of 1-11 is nowhere near enough to win a match. IMO Cadogan, Harnedy and Cooper were off the pace, the latter particularly so. He should have been taken off instead of Cronin. Once Cronin went off Ck couldn't compete in the air and the Tipp FB line thrived. Tipp MF scored 6 pts. There should have been a change here long before Walsh went off.

Thought Ck back line played well considering the pressure they were under. No defence can withstand constant ball like that. Even though Callinan scored 2-4, O'Neill still got and cleared a lot of ball. Cahalane though was poor. McDonnell found Bonner a handful - who doesn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

It would be nothing short of disastrous if JBM packed it in. Cubby would force the issue on the dual players and Walsh/A Cadogan could be lost from the hurlers. Today proves how hard it is to build an All Ireland senior winning standard side from a joke of an underage setup which is way behind all the other contending counties. I can't see how we make the ultimate breakthrough until we start producing higher standard underage sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

citykat wrote: »
    Cork forwards and midfield got cleaned out. A total score of 1-11 is nowhere near enough to win a match. IMO Cadogan, Harnedy and Cooper were off the pace, the latter particularly so. He should have been taken off instead of Cronin. Once Cronin went off Ck couldn't compete in the air and the Tipp FB line thrived. Tipp MF scored 6 pts. There should have been a change here long before Walsh went off.

Thought Ck back line played well considering the pressure they were under. No defence can withstand constant ball like that. Even though Callinan scored 2-4, O'Neill still got and cleared a lot of ball. Cahalane though was poor. McDonnell found Bonner a handful - who doesn't?

Tbh thought myself Tipp should have been making changes long before they did
    Lar should have been off in the 1st half or at half time, he had a nightmare
    Noel McGrath didn't show up until the game was won imo
    Shocked at how well Tipp midfield did, no one saw that coming
    Completely agree about Cronin, only man who was able to win a high ball for Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭68deville

JBM has to stay,has brought this cork team on a whole ton,typical knee jerk
    Dumb ass comment

Nash solid game,couldnt fault him for the ist goal,the second goal he could have done better
    Two great crucial frees he converted

O neill is not,NEVER.WAS OR NEVER WILL BE A FULL.BACK AT ANY GRADE.
    I dont blame him for being woeful for the goal,i blame management ASKING HIM DO A JOB HE SIMPLY CANT DO
    When moved out,had a fine game,too little too late.

Cahalane,not a wing back,only good in a defined role at 3,touch way off,got to choose hurling or football.
    If its.hurling,full back or no where.

Mcdonnell,superb all year,shouldnt been moved out to half back for a bit,very good in the corner.Great year.

Joyce,hurled well,again not a corner back.Should of marked bonnar.They made a compete mismatch with maccie on bonnar.

Ellis hurled a lot of ball,gave away.soft scores,but deserves to get more games here,but will only ever work,if cork confine and compact hes aera around him like kk,do with hoga.

Lorchan had a fine game,winning breaks,woeful,sloppy,uncharecteristcally unaccurate passes.

Walsh,great year,but had a poor game,touch was poor,due to football.Against limericks duo of brute force hes fine,tipp always have precision in touch and hooking,and walsh couldnt cope
    As he had two codes,so couldnt dedicate a hundred per cent like woodlock and mcgrath.
    Needs to work on hes left side

Has it all to be a hurler,but only if he sticks to one code.

Kearney,hurled a lot of ball,tigerish,and even around centre back was good

Lehane was good in the ist half,some feel,but for a lad of hes talents,i expect more,touch second half poor.

Cooper,touch and passing not as sharp as tipp,and poor pass with a goal on but he worked hard,got a lot of ball,brave but execution was poor but in hes fifth game showed enough that whiles hes raw,will benfit from league games against tough opponents in rushe,maher,donnellan,hogan or lester ryan for example
    Harnedy had a poor game but woeful decision playing him inside in full forward line,with a target man in cronin also there,and cork christ above had just one ball winner at half forward,and as i said all week long,we cant have two hurlers like we had in that line with lehane and cads,as it had no balance,and what was under strongest line became one of the rocks we perished on
    Got a point at least unlike horgan

Cadogan,awful game,i dont blame him,he isnt a half forward.Got a great point but maher cleaned him out

Cronin,had bad wides but he won.loads of ball,and for a man with just four training sessions since the limerick game,he at least showed,for the ball and workef hard

Horgan ,was.awfuly,from play and frees.No excuses,as he was fully fit and in hes best position,but as great as he,was the last two years he went missing today

Coughlan was brouht on way too late then put in corner forward,madness.

Paudie was a correct move in the second half but he never sparked,tried hard but had a poor shot for a goal but the game was by that stage well and truly over

Rob o shea,too late to judge but took hes goal well

Management were poor to be honest,match ups in defence were.horribly wrong,our forwards played out of position,and our half foward line,our greatest asset in ball winning,taking pressure of our defence instead of allowing tipp clean up,launch wave after wave of attack,scoring 2-11 from play yet out forwards from play got a woeful 6 points from play and from play went around 30 minutes.without scoring as primarly even accounting for wides,out forwards unlike tipp never got constsant quailty forwards ball,due to our half forward line being cleaned out and that is primariy imo managements fault for the changing of it,making it totally unbalanced when imo,there was no plausible reason to change it

Jbm said when asked regards hes future said he would sit down and discuss it with the cork county board.
    Imo that seems postive he wants to stay as if he didnt he would have said other wise.

The cork county board i have no doubt will offer him a new term,if he wants it.

As for this complete unjustifed rubbish i read in the lead up to the game,cork would win even though tipp had beaten us at underage and won both a minor all ireland in 2012,an u21 all ireland in 2011,as corks tradition would any day truimph over underage successs is in my opinion a complete load of bo****ks as the lack of minor,u21 sucess,even munster titles,clearly hinders cork and a lot of tipp players beat cork regulary at minor,u21,so despite being totally written off unjustifably imo,there was always a belief in tipp,no fear unlike what they will have against kilkenny,in beating cork,combined like i said during the week we have not beat them at senior since 2010,,so today was always a real real dangerous game.

Tradition of ten,twenty years ago imo counts for nothing,its tradition of current times has a lot.more weight of value imo,and its.imperative Cork at the very least start winning minor and u21 titles and get to Croke Park on big days for us to have Constant Sustained Success and To Winin Senior Intercounty All Ireland Hurling Title in the forseeable future imo.
    Minors will win an all ireland,at least a munster under current management,i fear no body,not even limerick next year.
    The u21 with the current manager imo is a complete right off next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭sean mac

Lawton,Cian mac,eoin Cadogan,haughney,collins shouldnt be near the panel next year.

Harnedy must be capatain.
    Cahahane ,hurling or football,not both.

Dualism is a joke,sometimes you go for too much you finish up with egg on yourself,get nothing,like the dual lads.

Spillane,,jack sheehan,dennehy must simply must get games in the league.
    Murphy,jamie nagle,barry,mick walsh to be tried at half back

Forwards are fine,but id add pa callaghan,anthiny spillane,and micheal sullivan and john cronin.

Pa cronin had a good game,won a lot of ball,certainly better than Lehane,horgan etc today.

TTM, Im not sure if you saw the game but he won exactly ONE BALL before being taken off. For a big man he is blown off the ball far too easy, his striking is poor and he hasn't improved his accuracy, the cork management blew it from the start by a. allowing tipp win all their own puckouts and b. operating one tactic of hitting to Cronin all day long
    Today is a huge set back, lose narrowly and with the munster title it could be a good year, to lose like that with a number of cork players giving up easily in the second half was a disaster.
    If I see poor shane oneill on the edge of the square in croke park again I will walk out of the stadium.
    Embarrassing to see a certain cork player unable to execute the basic skills of hurling today and get blocked down at one stage when starting his strike with the nearest tipp player 5 yards away, souldnt be in the squad.
    Tipp well worthy winners and oshea destroyed the cork sidelinE.
    If JBM statons on he needs to bring in someone with him to read the game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Just listening to Donal Óg Cusack... He's certainly opinionated isnt he!!! What do ye Cork people make of him on the panel...

Disappointed for Cork today, I was hoping for a win for ye today... I thought ye were hard done by with the late point last year...

(Kildare Fan)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Wowza. Donal Og not holding back there.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭BUNK1982

A lot of truth in what Donal Og said there.

Stopped just short of calling it a vanity project for Frank!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

BUNK1982 wrote: »
    A lot of truth in what Donal Og said there.

Called it a monument so you wouldn't need to be a literary genius to read between those lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

BUNK1982 wrote: »

Can you explain this to me in twenty words or less.. :pac:
    Cos I wasnt sure what he was talking about.. the two pitches and questioning where the money should be spent.

Sean,you know too well i saw the game,i hardly post on the game otherwise.
    I recommend you watch the game again .He won more than one ball in fairness.I believe you correct me if im wrong wanted Cronin to start and believed he would have a good game.
    I have no problem ,players being criticised but i dont believe in ficklism,one day great,next day should never play again type,in fairness to you have form in those views.

The tactic was wrong with cork
    I said all week,we could loose,would be a huge game,and certainly did not sheer you unjustifed confidence ,that corks tradition would beat tipp and kk on that despite our as you acknowleded a woeful underage record,on the other thread
    And quite understandably it didnt go down well and your were reminded of it which was more popular than your imo complete oblivence to tipp have beaten us since 2010,and also at minor and u 21,they had huge belief.

Cusack on the sunday game just now highlighted how underage is vital to cork had the balls to questions our underage structure coaching in cork,and also.u21 failure last week,and said.what.i.said many times the pairc development is a joke,centre of excellent is a cod,just two ptiches,70m over priced,also dublin have fifty gdos we havent even ten.and said.our underage.coaching must be reviewed.

Many poster know i said all that many times here.Halleluajh,at last a cork man had the balls to say it on tv,blow white elephant stadium myth out of the water and said what.needed to.be said,and as i said last week ,he said the same,we produce sonia,keane,etc,we have talent.
    I cant wait for hes article next friday,some real truths and harsh reailty

Thank you so so so much donal og cusack.Spoke words of true cork gaa fans tonight.

You should sean hopefully realise kk have tradition ,tipp also but more.importantly you.will realiase have had better underage success than cork and the very least competing in all irelands finals.

Browney7 wrote: »
    Called it a monument so you wouldn't need to be a literary genius to read between those lines.

Congrats yere finir.minor wim

Everything i said regards that wonderful set up is true

Cusack at last said what neEded to be said
    Truly wonderful from cusack

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Le Henry

Don't always agree with Donal Og, but he is on the money tonight on the Sunday Game. Hurling needs massive investment in underage structures, yes we all know this for many years but we need to use today's debacle as our defining moment for change. As we currently stand we are not going to win any All Ireland with this team over the next few years, yes we will be competitive but when it will come to crunch, we will fall away!.. If change is not made within the county in developing young players for senior we are long long away from lifting Liam again in my honest opinion, 54-66 being our biggest wait? I can see our current wait being vastly longer by some distance..

We need new structures, with centres of hurling open up across the county, this including carbery division!..tie these centres up with second level schools, north mon, colmans, midleton, Hamilton high, we need to increase the converyor belt of talent coming through, we need to be getting to the business end of All Ireland minors and u21's, currently we are not even competitive at minor, slight improvement this year on u21 level but still blown away by exceptional Clare team. Now, is our time to act to ensure we can win All Ireland's in the 2020's because I believe we can kiss away the rest of this decade we just have too much ground to make up on the other top teams!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Congrats yere finir.minor wim

Everything i said regards that wonderful set up is true

Cusack at last said what neEded to be said
    Truly wonderful from cusack

You never know with minors and how they'd handle it but was a clinical performance today alright from the lads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement