Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Fair play seamus.hickey
    He rose ten feet in my world with hes outstansing game last week but crucually hes interview,wouldnt accept moral victories

but when asked regards limerick minors,he didnt mention any other coach but jerry wallis
    The dog on the street know the huge influence wallis has but hickey fair play didnt laud limerick men coaches as their limerick men but singled out wallace

A coach that face does not fit with the cork county board but one cusack rates highly

Cusacks phrase is pricecless ,centre of excellent with the stadium is a centre of mediocrity

Reminded me of the beatles,song speaking words of wisdom,let it be ....let it be ..

Le Henry wrote: »
    Don't always agree with Donal Og, but he is on the money tonight on the Sunday Game. Hurling needs massive investment in underage structures, yes we all know this for many years but we need to use today's debacle as our defining moment for change. As we currently stand we are not going to win any All Ireland with this team over the next few years, yes we will be competitive but when it will come to crunch, we will fall away!.. If change is not made within the county in developing young players for senior we are long long away from lifting Liam again in my honest opinion, 54-66 being our biggest wait? I can see our current wait being vastly longer by some distance..

We need new structures, with centres of hurling open up across the county, this including carbery division!..tie these centres up with second level schools, north mon, colmans, midleton, Hamilton high, we need to increase the converyor belt of talent coming through, we need to be getting to the business end of All Ireland minors and u21's, currently we are not even competitive at minor, slight improvement this year on u21 level but still blown away by exceptional Clare team. Now, is our time to act to ensure we can win All Ireland's in the 2020's because I believe we can kiss away the rest of this decade we just have too much ground to make up on the other top teams!!
    very well said

O grady said in 08 it could be 2020 before we win one
    It wont be that long but be close to it

Be great if cusack got media coverage in cork boit hes comments as he wanted to say more but unlikey he will imo

Browney7 wrote: »
    You never know with minors and how they'd handle it but was a clinical performance today alright from the lads.

It was Ruthless execution,kk style,every lad playing for hes place
    I am one hundred per cent convinced ye will be all ireland champions

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Cronin was shocking once again today, and not fair on him to be picked when he clearly was not right - came in for some harsh criticism from a lot of people throughout the year, he hasn't performed well for quite a while. In at 14 didn't work in the AI replay, and didn't today.

It was woeful from Cork, on the pitch and off the pitch. Cork had not scored below 20 points in any championship game this year. Cahalane getting blocked down after a huge wind up was shocking.

I'm disappointed to have missed Donal Ogs comments, because he has been on the money every time. The worst thing to have happened last year was to get to the AI final imo, expectation is already there within the players heads and the supporters heads. Winning Munster was a step, yeah great for them that they have a medal in their pocket. I'm five years saying we need proper hurling structures, proper people coaching and its only starting now. KK started it 20 years ago, many other counties followed suit. We have something in place at last, but we can write off the next few years. Galway proved underage success doesn't necessarily mean senior success, but it makes it a darn sight easier.

I wasn't disappointed in the result, to be honest I thought Tipp could have hammered us more if they didn't take the foot off the pedal, and if that was KK, it would have been worse. Lack of leadership told again today, Lehane tried his best, scored some fantastic points, Ellis made a few telling interceptions. Lack of aggression, lack of fight was just, I don't have the words to describe it but disappointing and unCorklike. Cork panicked early in the second half, expected to come back into the game like they have and get in front, but it didn't happen. 45 mins in and it was lump high ball in.

I watched the parts of the warm-up they showed, and people at the match can tell me if I'm right or wrong, but Cork were doing basic basic warm up drills, striking the ball 20 yards from each other, then I saw a crossing over drill, four or five in each line. Surely there should be drills to get as many touches of the ball in as possible in the warm-up. They showed a shot of JBM and Seanie laughing in the warm-up, bout ten seconds of it, and it struck me at that time, cos JBM rubbed his hands together like we're ready for this kinda motion, but clearly not.

The pundits were waxing lyrical about JBM tactics of match-ups, he got them all all wrong today. Still no FB found, and thats going on two years now. First touch was shocking, shooting was diabolical, a dozen wides after 40ish minutes, and no conviction in some of the shots. It was almost like it was stage fright, but they have played in Croke Park before, so that cannot be an excuse. Have to give credit to O Shea, the puckout strategy of his and Gleeson's worked a charm, and was something that Cusack did beforehim and got lambasted about. But ffs after the first two or three, you get your forwards pushed up and not giving the Tipp defenders - if that was obvious to me, it should be obvious to JBM.

They can build all the buildings they want and call them centres of excellence, but until you get the right coaches in then you might as well be chucking money into the river Lee. Donal Og, O Grady, etc need to be involved - but we all know their faces don't fit. Until that sh*t is done away with, then Cork won't be successful, its as simple as that. Invest in making the coaches the best that they can be, then pass it onto the players. There has been a start this year that I've seen, but have heard some horror stories as well about things that were supposed to be done and not done for players, basic things like a S&C programme not coming out for months afterwards

I had the ladies rugby on my laptop with the hurling on the telly, I was very tempted to turn off the telly 10 mins into the second half.

The Cork camogie team are out next week against Wexford, been three years since the Cork girls have been in a final, but I've seen first hand how super underage squads at U14, A squad won every tournament and game they played, B squad won all but one tournament when beaten by the C squad. Bear in mind, you would have Dublin with three squads, Tipp, Limerick, Clare etc but poor coaching and management at under 16 has seen things fall apart. Having the talent isn't enough unless you have the right people involved.

Thurles at 2pm before the 2 U21 games next Saturday

Bang on the money Rg ,bang on
    Id agree with 99 per cent of it

It means.jack ,shi*.like you said to have golden talents just pissed away over poor substandard coaches,that our senior football u21 hurling,minor football with coaches I wouldnt if im honest in charge of a junior football team

Im sure cuacks clip be on u tube ill get link I post it here

I said it all year jbm made a balls of the full back position,in fairness to.mick foley cork reporter at last in the times today said today that what has been clear as day since 2012,but no one in media really tackled it,lazy journalsim
    Foley said cork are in a hard place trying to.find a player like the rock

We have a candiate,hail mary mother og god pray to jesus we play colm spillane in the league next year.

Jbm is a great in cork gaa but cant beat a sweeper and has made poor calls,dualism,collins and cadogan wouldnt start.cork intermediates,and full.back,and dropping michael sullivan etc but ger cunningham ,wallis,cusack havent a hope of hell getting the job,so I hope he stays.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Playing a sweeper when Cork needed scores and bodies up front around 45 minute mark was ludicrous!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 havent got a kalou

I don't understand why cork greats aren't asked to get involved joe Deane , the rock ,Pat Mulcahy

Playing a sweeper when Cork needed scores and bodies up front around 45 minute mark was ludicrous!

Twas madness when he refused point blank ti play one v clare last year

Cork currently recruiting for gdos

What a laugh,like trying to stop a flood with one sand bag

Of course county board give usual pr blah blah excuse in echo interview months agi cork cant become dublin,fifty gdos as.what works for them wont work for cork

the board will keep quiet regards cusack.comments,their stance by bob ryan is no commwnr but will replay at a later date ,in that case never or they should be asked how is a 68m stadiym cist wise risen to 70m

Cork strikes ,deane and the rock ringleaders will never get it

Gardiner could win u21 county.na piarsaigh,and senior.will never get a job unless another coach brings him.in ,like ring with landers

No.newtown man will coach cork,the greatest myth cork hurling downfall due to newtown possesion gamw.The top table despise newtown style of play

Pat mulchay done super review,article ,develiompent plan cork underage ,but they didnt want to know

Rock,halpin,involved development squads as cork gaa partly fund them,rebel.og lot on volunteers

They will never be independent managers cork teams while some of the old table remain.Let not kid ourselves.

• Advertisement

Rte give it coverage,interesting to see the Echos take in it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

Just disgusted after today, can't say much more tbh.

It's a bit early to be going down the "crisis" route imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

68deville wrote: »
    JBM has to stay,has brought this cork team on a whole ton,typical knee jerk
    Dumb ass comment

Dumb ass comment my backside.
    We were beaten by 10 points? All Ireland finalists last year and all. He has brought Cork as far as he can IMO. Cork aren't good enough at the moment and it may be a long time before we get success. He got the match ups wrong today and same last year against Clare. Same in League Final 2012 against KK. I think his time is up.

I think hes right,please lets not become the limerick of senior hurling,our mistakes stare us in the face,a blind man ,can see bar one good fortunate year,that wont happen for a while again,we have been in crisis since 2006

We havent produced two decent senior club full backs in eight years ffs bar darren mannix

We are in woeful decline in key aera,limerick pouring huge money through county board,clubs dublin limerick supporter club,we barely touch the surface,watch the farce in u 17 all ireland in mallow in four weeks our lads wont even have a bus and.probaly be asked bring their own sunscreen like last year

Thankfully limerick wont get ahead of us at senior,or u 21 as tom ryan,carey,tj too old school coaches

Its time cork woke up ffs,who are we trying to fool,serious problems existed in cork hurling the last 8 years

Can anyone enlighten me how,spillane,luttrell,kingstin,lee,bourke,smitg,meaney,,callaghan,kinery,hayes can improve under next years u 21 set up?

Amprodude wrote: »
    Dumb ass comment my backside.
    We were beaten by 10 points? All Ireland finalists last year and all. He has brought Cork as far as he can IMO. Cork aren't good enough at the moment and it may be a long time before we get success. He got the match ups wrong today and same last year against Clare. Same in League Final 2012 against KK. I think his time is up.

Who would you replace him with

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭68deville

Exactly.who? JBM has done wonders for Cork and with his current group,
    What would he have done today to mastermind a victory v tipp?

Who would you replace him with

It's not possible but it would be super if Cusack and Grady got involved or came on board with JBM. Not possible with Frank there unfortunately.

68deville wrote: »
    Exactly.who? JBM has done wonders for Cork and with his current group,
    What would he have done today to mastermind a victory v tipp?

Get the matchups correct for a start. Shane O Neill is not a FB. I don't rate Cahalane as an inter county hurler along with Pa Cronin who was wreck less today. League Final 2012 v KK outclassed. 2013 MF outclassed v Limerick. 2013 AI final v Clare 2 days outclassed. 2014 v Waterford outclassed first day out and Today's game he was outclassed. It's happening regularly.

If you told me ger cunningham,wallace,matthews,cusack were to.get the job id say fair enough

But unless PIGS FLY THIS WONT HAPPEN
    so before jbm who is sixty this week is wanted out,who is a.viable,good coach,Frank and bob and diarmuid o donovan will ratify as boss??

Mentioning cunningham,cusack.imo is fruitless as cork board wont appoint those that crossed their path or if their there own men,
    Even the fai forgive and forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭68deville

JBM I'm sure did as much if not more than Grady with what was at his disposal

• Advertisement

Amprodude wrote: »
    It's not possible but it would be super if Cusack and Grady got involved or came on board with JBM. Not possible with Frank there unfortunately.

I agree totally but you want jbm out
    So whos next
    Gives us a viable option the board will ratify???

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/cork-pay-for-allowing-tipp-space-to-prosper-282018.html

When cusack mentions underage failure its dismissed as ah cusack a self publicist having a rant,when its nothing further from the truth

At least others said it like considine,of course wait for the usal suspects teddy mac ,ger fitzgerald etc,due an interview say.theres tremondous work at underage being done,give it time,cork hurling isnt that bad but in a good place.

Considine is wrong about cork minors,if he asked limerick,im sure they would say it was a fine test cork gave them and cork are a fine side

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

What's the hysteria about? It was one poor performance (arguably a disgraceful performance), but we've had 3 good seasons with JBM, I suppose you could argue that this year was a disappointment but we still won Munster. I'm not worried in the slightest for the future to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Dunno why Cronin gets pinpointed for such acute criticism, when everyone not named McDonnell/Ellis/Kearney/O'Shea was awful today, some even worse than Cronin. Moreover O'Sullivan and Moylan did absolutely nothing when they came on.

Also yes the management need to take considerable blame, they used the bench only when the game was over, had no plan to counter-act the Mahers and stood staring at us conceding puck-outs for the entirety of the match.

You could arguably justify this kind of performance with a new team and a brand new manager...but three years into his tenure? Certainly not.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ballbag05

Losing to Tipperary was bad enough, but the way in that Cork imploded was the most embarrassing/disappointing outcome of game.

ballbag05 wrote: »
    Losing to Tipperary was bad enough, but the way in that Cork imploded was the most embarrassing/disappointing outcome of game.

I never thought for a second a Cork team would be that bad in Croke Park. I didn't underestimate Tipp for a second but in fairness I didn't think they would destroy us by that much. Serious problems for Cork GAA.

I agree totally but you want jbm out
    So whos next
    Gives us a viable option the board will ratify???

I'm not 100% sure who could take over and bring Cork to next level. Don't think there is anyone there that would do the job that know enough about the game. JBM like I said could benefit if Cusack and Grady were brought in. There should be an effort to remove Frank as quick as possible as his presence is ruining Corks future.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

I wouldn't want Grady anywhere near this team honestly.

• Advertisement

Orizio wrote: »
    I wouldn't want Grady anywhere near this team honestly.

Why?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement