Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

citykat wrote: »
    Have to say am mystified with all this talk of centres of excellence, development of PUC etc. Our minors were beaten out the gate in their first round this year and sparked off a similar outcry on the KK thread. There was questioning of the coaching set up, county board, strength and conditioning you name it. I thought at the time the minors didn't do themselves justice and simply had an off day. To be fair to them they regrouped and are now in the AI. It might sound trite but I think Cork had an off day yesterday for whatever reason - over-confidence? If both teams are at full belt, I still fancy Cork to beat Tipp any day.

Kilkenny - D Brennan; T Walsh, B McDowell, C Delaney; J Cleere, D Mullen, J Keoghan; L Blanchfield, D Joyce; A Murphy (0-2, 1f), S Morrissey (0-1), E Kenny; C O'Donoghue, J Walsh, R Corcoran. Subs: A Gaffney for C O'Donoghue, E Walsh for E Kenny, T O'Dwyer for S Morrissey, C Carroll for J Walsh.

Scorers for Kilkenny: Liam Blanchfield 2-3, Alan Murphy 0-9 (4f, 1 65), Ronan Corcoran, Sean Morrissey 0-2 each, Ross Butler, Conor Browne, John Walsh 0-1 each.
    Scorers for Dublin: Eoin Ó Conghaile 1-2, Sean Ryan 1-0, Sean Gray 0-3 (3f), Chris Bennett 0-2 (2f), Rian McBride, Con O’Callaghan, Eoghan McHugh 0-1 each.
    KILKENNY: Darren Brennan; Cathal McGrath, Conor Delaney, Conor Doheny; Darren Mullen, Jason Cleere, Darragh Joyce; Conor Browne, Luke Scanlon; Seán Morrissey, Ross Butler, Billy Ryan; Ronan Corcoran, Liam Blanchfield, Alan Murphy. Subs:Eoin Kenny for Ryan (HT), John Walsh for Butler (52), Liam Hennessy for Corcoran

The kilkenny team in ist day ye got.just 3 points.in april,was worlds apart.than.the leinster final and now,as.kierans and kilkenny cbs lads were missing.but.were always.going to start when availble so its easy to regroup.
    Your.not imo comparing like with like,its complety untrue to say ye.had an off day,therr.was like cork lost yesterday.CLEAR RESASONS WE LOST

Both teams were practially full strength yesterday,tipp hosed us so i understand your dislike of o shea,dont let it cloud.your judgement,he outthought our sideline by a country mile yesterday,and fair play jbm said the lay off was no excuse,imo the reasons we lost are as CLEAR
    AS DAY,we played a corner back at full,put the wrong man on calli
    An and bonner,and broke up our strongest line,our half forward lineæ

Management got it wrong on the sidline its that simple,nothing at all to do with imo plain lazy excuses,it was an off day,that rubbish i simply dont buy

As for ye,ye will talk up tipp but will without any doubt beat them imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Kilkenny - D Brennan; T Walsh, B McDowell, C Delaney; J Cleere, D Mullen, J Keoghan; L Blanchfield, D Joyce; A Murphy (0-2, 1f), S Morrissey (0-1), E Kenny; C O'Donoghue, J Walsh, R Corcoran. Subs: A Gaffney for C O'Donoghue, E Walsh for E Kenny, T O'Dwyer for S Morrissey, C Carroll for J Walsh.

Scorers for Kilkenny: Liam Blanchfield 2-3, Alan Murphy 0-9 (4f, 1 65), Ronan Corcoran, Sean Morrissey 0-2 each, Ross Butler, Conor Browne, John Walsh 0-1 each.
    Scorers for Dublin: Eoin Ó Conghaile 1-2, Sean Ryan 1-0, Sean Gray 0-3 (3f), Chris Bennett 0-2 (2f), Rian McBride, Con O’Callaghan, Eoghan McHugh 0-1 each.
    KILKENNY: Darren Brennan; Cathal McGrath, Conor Delaney, Conor Doheny; Darren Mullen, Jason Cleere, Darragh Joyce; Conor Browne, Luke Scanlon; Seán Morrissey, Ross Butler, Billy Ryan; Ronan Corcoran, Liam Blanchfield, Alan Murphy. Subs:Eoin Kenny for Ryan (HT), John Walsh for Butler (52), Liam Hennessy for Corcoran

The kilkenny team in ist day ye got.just 3 points.in april,was worlds apart.than.the leinster final and now,as.kierans and kilkenny cbs lads were missing.but.were always.going to start when availble so its easy to regroup.
    Your.not imo comparing like with like,its complety untrue to say ye.had an off day,therr.was like cork lost yesterday.CLEAR RESASONS WE LOST

Both teams were practially full strength yesterday,tipp hosed us so i understand your dislike of o shea,dont let it cloud.your judgement,he outthought our sideline by a country mile yesterday,and fair play jbm said the lay off was no excuse,imo the reasons we lost are as CLEAR
    AS DAY,we played a corner back at full,put the wrong man on calli
    An and bonner,and broke up our strongest line,our half forward lineæ

Management got it wrong on the sidline its that simple,nothing at all to do with imo plain lazy excuses,it was an off day,that rubbish i simply dont buy

As for ye,ye will talk up tipp but will without any doubt beat them imo.

TTM1 there's 9+2 subs overlap between the two teams, hardly worlds apart. I compared your lads to our minors as the performances were similar. Outfought, outmuscled, second to very ball, no show from the forwards etc.
    think you're being too hard on O'Neill. He messed up for the first goal, no doubt, and coughed up another dubious pt to Callinan. The other goal was an overlap he could do nothing about. The other two pts were scored when Ck had given up the ghost. Other than that he caught and cleared a lot of ball. The problem is, when it's coming straight back at you with no scoring from your own forward line you're going to wilt sooner or later. As regards Bonner, he's the only Tipp forward I'd fear with a slight nod also to Bubbles. There ain't many backs that can hold Bonner when he's in the mood.
    That game was no lost on the sideline but in the days and weeks beforehand. How, given the recent record between the two, the Ck lads weren't willing to die for the cause, is the ONLY question I'd be asking JBM.

Citykat in fairness,the full.back line is new,with two corner backs ,doheny i saw ist hand at centre back v midelton for kilkenny cbs in all ireland u 16 final,is a huge addition to the team,has senior written all over him

A new midfiekd,and half forward line,so the positional changed plus six new men,im sorry now.makes a world.of difference to the team

And your grasping for straws with o neill.Did.you see.the cork county final.2012,,christ give me strength,he made cussen look like an all a
    Star under the high ball.

He was woeful for the ist goal,cruical goal,would cody say ah lads were being too harsh if jj delaney left in a goal a game.He would not
    Dowling won high ball off ,delaney but crucially dowling never got a goal as jj had unlike o neill or any converted cover back,stays goal side of the forward and prevents them a clear shot on goal

O neill is the best corner back in cork,has at least three more years at just 28,but is being made look a poor ,poor player as he is not a full.back.

To say the game wasnt lost on the sideline,ah seriously man

I said all week cahalane had to mark callian,bonner,joyce was.the man for him
    Ellis.done well but went bonner went in to the.full forward line,joyce who cleaned corbett out was the man for him

What record are you going on bout ,like its a good one
    Do you Realise ,tipp beat us the last five out of 6 games prior to yesterday,bar a fluke we won in 12,it was a clean sweep

Tipp have beaten us at minor ,u21,we won in 2011
    What records your harping on bout that cork have had an upper hand or superior siege mentailty over is simply not my opinion but a clear fact that your theory is non existence.
    In overall championship records.at senior,cork just edge it 37-36,hardly we have their numbers scenario in heads to heads with each other.

As for maher,you wont dominate him but you have a plan so he cant dominate you
    Cody will have a plan to stop bonner,and jj will roughen up callian
    This isnt rocket science,just a basic.understanding of the game in fairness,that cody will do.

To exempt managment from blame is ,just my opinion of course is compelety baffling.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭sean mac

citykat wrote: »
    TTM1 there's 9+2 subs overlap between the two teams, hardly worlds apart. I compared your lads to our minors as the performances were similar. Outfought, outmuscled, second to very ball, no show from the forwards etc.
    think you're being too hard on O'Neill. He messed up for the first goal, no doubt, and coughed up another dubious pt to Callinan. The other goal was an overlap he could do nothing about. The other two pts were scored when Ck had given up the ghost. Other than that he caught and cleared a lot of ball. The problem is, when it's coming straight back at you with no scoring from your own forward line you're going to wilt sooner or later. As regards Bonner, he's the only Tipp forward I'd fear with a slight nod also to Bubbles. There ain't many backs that can hold Bonner when he's in the mood.
    That game was no lost on the sideline but in the days and weeks beforehand. How, given the recent record between the two, the Ck lads weren't willing to die for the cause, is the ONLY question I'd be asking JBM.

He hasn't recovered from the all Ireland final last year unfortunately for a very dedicated hurler, was poor vs Waterford and despite the hype was in trouble in the second half vs dowling again on the edge of the square. Iit was clear when he lined up at the edge of the square vs callinan he wasn't comfortable, and it doesn't matter a **** if he cleared loads of ball,callinan ran riot. Would kk accept this? Add to this both footballers were miles off the pace because as donal og rightly pointed out its at this time of the year when your hurling is found out, cahalane walked into a block down in the in the first half when he had an acre of space in front of him - it was unbelieveable stuff.
    Corks line is very poor in croke park, oneill was left totally isolated for so long at full back as per 2013 while the reaction to the short puck outs from Gleeson was absolutely baffling. Not sure what seanie McGrath and Crowley bring to the set up as it seems its JBM, Kingston and at times dr con who decide things on match day. We need a new voice who can make calls on the line and set us up for croke park.
    We have a decent team, not as bad as yesterday but not all Ireland winners either.
    In addition we had an all star forward who cant and wont fight like a dog for ball who was cleaned out yesterday.

Sean what do you make of seamie.harndey as captain next year?

• Advertisement

Sean what do you make of seamie.harndey as captain next year?

I have great time for him, don't know enough about the fella tbh. I think yesterday was a huge blow to the team in particular and hurling on cork in general.
    Seamus is a great bit of stuff and his actions speak more then words so perhaps he could be the man. Think someone from outside the horgan/oneill/Cronin generation should take over as for some reason none pof that generation have played well as captain

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

Yeah that's true. Captaincy doesn't suit some players. It weighed very heavy on Patrick Horgan back in 2012

sean mac wrote: »
    I have great time for him, don't know enough about the fella tbh. I think yesterday was a huge blow to the team in particular and hurling on cork in general.
    Seamus is a great bit of stuff and his actions speak more then words so perhaps he could be the man. Think someone from outside the horgan/oneill/Cronin generation should take over as for some reason none pof that generation have played well as captain

Thats.my reasoing also,as yesterday was a huge set back so we need fresh energt.one new swlector a full back and better panel,but pretty close the same starting team

It said.in the paper jbms panel is the best.hurlers in cork,simoly imo not true

Cian mac,lawton,cadogan,collins and possibly egan we have way.better.
    Hauhgney.not up to it

Barrett was superb yesterday,and is u 21,no.excuse cormac.murphy.didnt m
    Ake the panel

Nagle,spillane,murphy,michael sullivan,barry,cronin,must get proper league time

Michael sul,got just two games this year,sub,and great point v limkerick,then wrongly takwn ioff in the laois game,yet cian mac,white,get game after game

Thats.my reasoing also,as yesterday was a huge set back so we need fresh energt.one new swlector a full back and better panel,but pretty close the same starting team

It said.in the paper jbms panel is the best.hurlers in cork,simoly imo not true

Cian mac,lawton,cadogan,collins and possibly egan we have way.better.
    Hauhgney.not up to it

Barrett was superb yesterday,and is u 21,no.excuse cormac.murphy.didnt m
    Ake the panel

Nagle,spillane,murphy,michael sullivan,barry,cronin,must get proper league time

Michael sul,got just two games this year,sub,and great point v limkerick,then wrongly takwn ioff in the laois game,yet cian mac,white,get game after game

I agree on each but the thing I cant understand is they have each been on the panel and dropped off ot for some reason, while inferior players like Lawton, cahalane, Hartnett, McCarthy are kept on, what does that say?
    We parachuted in mark Collins before the semi final, what signal did that send out? JBM needs to get walsh playing hurling full time, he had a good year overall but to make it at this level he needs to spend way more time at hurling or he will end up like he is as a hurler.
    The performances of cahalane and walsh in the tipp and mayo games were terrible and an indictment of the dualism experiment. Donal og said it - its this time of year in august where your hurling is found out if its not up to speed.
    I would be very worried that 3 years in and the full back position stands out like a sore thumb and shane oneills performances are going down hill rapidly as his confidence is shot. Pick a player for full back in November, coach him, mentor him, build his confidence and you will have a full back for championship, we seem to have failed to do this.
    Fresh voice needed on the line WITH JBM, not someone like seanie, also need to rethink the physical training again - last year was a one off in hurling and there is a need form some of these players to get stronger.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 412 ✭✭better call saul

Cork football is down the tubes they've no defenders or direction at all they just want to walk it in the net or carry it over the bar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Rebel S

Absoultey one hundred per cent i agree

Ni need for a new centre excellence and no.way a 70m staduim
    And if so corks choice,so pay for it themselves no 30m funding of the goverment

Put money in to underage,buit from the bottom up

What good is a centre of mediocity when a county with 123 all irelands all codes,grades has ni succesful teams to grace it

Haven't been reading through all the posts so may be missing the point here but there certainly is a need for a new stadium in Cork and we will hopefully get a state of the art stadium, from plans I have seen, we will. 30m from the Govt is the least we should be getting. The Library in Dun Loaghaire is getting 36m and no harm for some money and jobs to be created in Cork. However this is a a completely separate argument to the shambles of our underage set in at present and needs to be sorted out as quickly as possible.

The county board have neglected this side of things for a long time but so have the clubs, there is zero pressure being put on the Cb to get it sorted. They seriously need to stand up. The last strike should have sorted this mess for once and for all but once the players got what they wanted the club forum just disappeared when there was a chance to finally get things done properly.

We already have excellent facilities around Cork and should be using them properly, no need to build a new COE but utilise the likes of Mallow, Nemo, Clon etc. A new plan and vision needs to be outlined for underage and most importantly a huge amount of coaches need to be hired full time and get into the schools and clubs at all age groups. Donal Og has started the conversation, the clubs now need to follow this up strongly and the cb should listen and be willing to accept the problem we have and get moving fast

• Registered Users Posts: 4 tommytd

Kilkenny person here. I would of liked for ye to win yesterday but to say I was shouting for ye might be a bit to far. As good as it is to play (beat) Tipp in finals some variety would be nice.

Feel free to call me out on whatever im far from an expert but here is my outside view on your hurlers.

Tbh I think ye were over rated coming into this year, Last year ye didn't have to play Tipp who to be fair were a bit of a shambles, beat a crippled Kilkenny team (I wont talk about the ref) and were imo a little lucky that decisons went your way against Dub and Clare the first day. And look what happened to those two teams this year.

In saying that I think your panel is/was stronger this year and if everyone sticks around I think they will be stronger again next year. In past years confidence is what gave Cork teams the edge, the belief that they could and would beat anyone they came across but somehow that may have gone against them this year. They didn't respect Waterford and that almost cost them Munster, and I think in part caused them to come out flat against Tipp. If the fight shown against Limerick in the MF was there yesterday it would of been a different game.

I'd question the mindset in having Nash taking those frees in the first half, while ye were desperate for scores it shows a lack of confidence in Horgan and the forwards in general that they could work a score from play. Also dragging Cahalane out the field was a crazy decision imo, he had been decent so far this year in FB and again showed the management had a lack of faith in him.

What I'm trying to get at here is that Ye have the hurlers (with maybe a few passengers) to win an AI but problems are mostly mental.

This was quite a different team to last year and tbh I think while they are 3 years on the go with JBM another year should show huge improvements.

Cahalane has to be given time to develop as a full back, rarely are full backs instantly dominating from the start but can grow into the position Lawlor from Waterford and Peter Kelly from Dublin examples of this.

Horgan is one of the best in the country when playing well but somehow failed to get going this year.

I have heard from lots of people that Walsh has plenty of hurling but I haven't seen it yet, maybe focusing on hurling next year will bring that to light.

Alan Cadogen and Harnedy are explosions waiting to happen, The former showing it in bursts this year but needs to be given more ball, (This lack of ball in the FF line is an issue for Cork) and the latter reminding me of our own TJ Reid, big strong almost unbeatable in the air but at times headless and clumsy in possession. If he can fix those I can see him winning a fair few All stars at HF.

Lehane and Cronin however are passengers, Cronin I hear has ongoing injury problems but is not good atm for this level and Lehane seems to afraid of hard work only shining when he is gifted balls in space. If he could fight hard for the ball I think his pace and scoring ability would be good in MF and Karney could make a decent HF continuing his love for running with the ball. Not sure what to make of Bill Cooper yet but he is young and deserves more time at least.

Paudie O Sullivan I imagine will come back strong next year, He needs more time to get back up to full speed from that injury.

If Cahalane could be FB then they are fairly ok at in the FB line. O Neill despite my dislike for him is a pretty good CB and Mc Donald is up there with Jackie and Hickey from Limerick as the best no. 4 in the Country.

HB line though is imo your weakest line and I dunno what can be done to improve there, I reckon if ye played Kilkenny this year they would be taken to the cleaners.

Sorry this is so long I had a lot of time this evening and while I dont know a whole lot about your subs and panel members I think ye can definitely challenge for an AI next year and to try change JBM after such a large change this year would be madness.

Looking forward to playing ye next year :)

I cant understand why those lads were dropped and why keep below the required standard of intercounty players that had numerous chances,

Id agree seanie mcgrath,great player,but has he any real tactics,to offer bar media duties,as an echo anayalst while at times he had good articles, i often found hes assements of matches,plain and simple,tell us what we already know,but hardly insightful,bold, assements imo.Seanie,is one of my heroes,three points in 99 rain,fine debut v clare,amazing skill and pace ,but was a selector minor team that did not too great.

He unfortunately strikes me a county board candiate in that what ,ever cork team,they will always be a place for him like,donal o sullivan,john mortells,mick o loughlins,diarmuid o dono ans,passionate,commited gaa men ,but imo not rich in progressive,innovative,bold,ruthless skills and imo take up positions we could have better in there.

I rate kingston,and crowley and highely rate matthews,saw hes training imo,top class,couldnt fault him,and i was sceptical at first.

Fitness wasnt a problem yesterday or with the u 21.
    Μatthews is a top,top trainer imo.

We never replaced cunningham so we must replace him.

Best of luck to anna geary rose tralee lorchan mcloughlins cousin.
    I normally dont watch it but has anna been on or when is she on ??
    Was that john mcloughlin cork footballer escort?in crowd if so best luck to him in escort of the year tonight if its the same lad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Citykat in fairness,the full.back line is new,with two corner backs ,doheny i saw ist hand at centre back v midelton for kilkenny cbs in all ireland u 16 final,is a huge addition to the team,has senior written all over him

A new midfiekd,and half forward line,so the positional changed plus six new men,im sorry now.makes a world.of difference to the team

And your grasping for straws with o neill.Did.you see.the cork county final.2012,,christ give me strength,he made cussen look like an all a
    Star under the high ball.

He was woeful for the ist goal,cruical goal,would cody say ah lads were being too harsh if jj delaney left in a goal a game.He would not
    Dowling won high ball off ,delaney but crucially dowling never got a goal as jj had unlike o neill or any converted cover back,stays goal side of the forward and prevents them a clear shot on goal

O neill is the best corner back in cork,has at least three more years at just 28,but is being made look a poor ,poor player as he is not a full.back.

To say the game wasnt lost on the sideline,ah seriously man

I said all week cahalane had to mark callian,bonner,joyce was.the man for him
    Ellis.done well but went bonner went in to the.full forward line,joyce who cleaned corbett out was the man for him

What record are you going on bout ,like its a good one
    Do you Realise ,tipp beat us the last five out of 6 games prior to yesterday,bar a fluke we won in 12,it was a clean sweep

Tipp have beaten us at minor ,u21,we won in 2011
    What records your harping on bout that cork have had an upper hand or superior siege mentailty over is simply not my opinion but a clear fact that your theory is non existence.
    In overall championship records.at senior,cork just edge it 37-36,hardly we have their numbers scenario in heads to heads with each other.

As for maher,you wont dominate him but you have a plan so he cant dominate you
    Cody will have a plan to stop bonner,and jj will roughen up callian
    This isnt rocket science,just a basic.understanding of the game in fairness,that cody will do.

To exempt managment from blame is ,just my opinion of course is compelety baffling.

Well TTM1 at this stage we're going round in circles so it's time to get off the roundabout. I can't though reconcile the pessimism this week with what was posted last week. I hope JBM stays on. He's a gentleman. Gracious in defeat and humble in victory. Cody might have a plan to stop the Bonner. If we do we're home and hosed.

Fair play,to kilkenny ,I would like Tipp to win as they havent won in ages but I have huge admiration ,and respect for cody and kilkenny

Ye will close down space and it wont suit tipp.
    I fancy ye in the senior but limerick to edge the minor
    Enjoy being in an all ireland final it is some occassion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

sean mac wrote: »
    I agree on each but the thing I cant understand is they have each been on the panel and dropped off ot for some reason, while inferior players like Lawton, cahalane, Hartnett, McCarthy are kept on, what does that say?

...maybe it is because the lads TTM mentioned aren't superior? Management clearly think they are inferior.

Always the same with fans, there are always a half a dozen lads that are incredible players...then they actually make the panel and a lot of them aren't up to much. Spillane, Nagle and O'Sullivan have been looked at closely by JBM, and all three were deemed surplus to requirements, I assume because of their mediocre touch. Personally I like O'Sullivan but he probably isn't as stylish as JBM would like.

John Cronin and David Drake are two lads that should probably get a chance, and have so far been ignored by management. Cormac Murphy will definitely get plenty of game time in the league next year, guaranteed. Micheal Cahalane and Pa O'Callaghan as well, if their circumstances have changed. I'm a big fan of Rickard Cahalane, Anthony Spillane and Alan O'Callaghan, probably too early for them though. Hopefully Rob O'Shea, Killian Burke and Darren Mac can step up and really push for first team positions, because we need all three imo.

Orizio wrote: »
    ...maybe it is because the lads TTM mentioned aren't superior? Management clearly think they are inferior.

Always the same with fans, there are always a half a dozen lads that are incredible players...then they actually make the panel and a lot of them aren't up to much. Spillane, Nagle and O'Sullivan have been looked at closely by JBM, and all three were deemed surplus to requirements, I assume because of their mediocre touch. Personally I like O'Sullivan but he probably isn't as stylish as JBM would like.

John Cronin and David Drake are two lads that should probably get a chance, and have so far been ignored by management. Cormac Murphy will definitely get plenty of game time in the league next year, guaranteed. Micheal Cahalane and Pa O'Callaghan as well, if their circumstances have changed. I'm a big fan of Rickard Cahalane, Anthony Spillane and Alan O'Callaghan, probably too early for them though. Hopefully Rob O'Shea, Killian Burke and Darren Mac can step up and really push for first team positions, because we need all three imo.
    Do you think Ron O Shea could be a better player than Aidan Walsh at midfield over the next couple of years. I think the dual players have to pick one side or the other and I think all 3 dual players are better footballers than hurlers. I'd like to believe that there are plenty of fellas playing hurling full time that are better bets long term than the dual players.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I think the issue of the dual player can be handled, I think Walsh has made a great difference to Cork midfield this year in the hurling, and should be used better for puckout strategy. Cahalane I think it different, showed by being hooked when trying to clear the ball, not quick enough. Cads hasn't been near either starting 15, and think has suffered doing both plus injuries. Problem is Cork don't look long term and there is things starting now, but its going to be years before it comes to fruition, if it ever does. Walsh as an athlete is phenomenal and can recover.

I read an article this morning, the quote was "you could have taken 15 people at random from the Cork crowd and they would have shown more fight than the players on the pitch" - intensity was sorely lacking. That doesn't come down to skill - 1-11 in a FOOTBALL game would be average enough scoring let alone in a hurling game. Playing in Croke Park should be enough to motivate any player - but leadership was severly lacking, a person to try and take the fight to Tipp. Lehane got a few super scores, Ellis tried, but thats about it.

Leadership on the sideline was sorely lacking - and systems that needed to be put in place on the training field were also. The puckouts - fair play to Gleeson for the deliveries, but marking, basic marking of players was lacking. Cork half forward line/midfield were neither pushing up on top of the Tipp backs or backing down to cover their own defense. Management need to see that and rectify it. Get the match ups changed if needed - reading the game

Anna Geary, Cork camogie captain is on tonight in the Rose of Tralee, looking forward to seeing her on stage, one of the favourites so I've heard.

I said from day one walsh was our only hope of working,hes been superb.
    The other two wont be able to,as at half back,where cahalane has been the best centre back club football in cork the last two years,needs to be totally committed to football
    Walshs athletisicm allows him do both.

Archer3083 wrote: »
    Do you think Ron O Shea could be a better player than Aidan Walsh at midfield over the next couple of years. I think the dual players have to pick one side or the other and I think all 3 dual players are better footballers than hurlers. I'd like to believe that there are plenty of fellas playing hurling full time that are better bets long term than the dual players.

Wont work with.kearney same.lorchan didnz.either as two similat,no physicality or holding player

O shea is a fine hurler wristy and fast
    Walsh has to stay but for cover you need mick walsh or michael sullivan or john cronin,physical,foraging players

Likes repel,opposite attracts,balance must be right

• Advertisement

The other two wont be able to,as at half back,where cahalane has been the best centre back club football in cork the last two years,needs to be totally committed to football
    So which one do you think Walsh should pick? Slightly different question, which one would you prefer to see Walsh pick? I'm biased in my opinions. So I think Walsh is a better footballer than a hurler and I think he should pick footballers only. I think he could be an All Star or player of the year in football. I could never see him achieving that accolade in hurling.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

So which one do you think Walsh should pick? Slightly different question, which one would you prefer to see Walsh pick? I'm biased in my opinions. So I think Walsh is a better footballer than a hurler and I think he should pick footballers only. I think he could be an All Star or player of the year in football. I could never see him achieving that accolade in hurling.

but why would he have to choose - the lad is a superb athlete, so recovery etc isn't a problem, its having the time to work on skillsets, which he can do given he is running his own business. He must have played for 17/18 teams when he was a minor.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

but why would he have to choose - the lad is a superb athlete, so recovery etc isn't a problem, its having the time to work on skillsets, which he can do given he is running his own business. He must have played for 17/18 teams when he was a minor.

I'm sorry, but how does running his own business give him more time :confused:

If anything that's a massive indicator that he should focus on one sport imo

I don't think we saw the best from Aidan Walsh in football or hurling this year. I think he fell between two stools really. I don't think he can play both sports and be better than fellas that play only football or only hurling. It's a different argument at club level but at senior intercounty level the standards are too high. You have to pick one or else be mediocre at both

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Smith614

By accounts Aidan Walsh is going back to college in sept. 2 sports is a non runner, A good league campaign with the hurlers will set him up nicely with the hurlers for the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

Aidan Walsh up to yesterday was hurling great stuff and one of the best midfielders in the championship. One bad game and you want to ignore that? Walsh is vital for the hurlers going forward. It's painfully obvious Eoin Cadogan, in any sort of form, is the only guy on the hurling panel with the natural aggression/physicality to play for fullback. There is no other option. Maccie was destroyed by Bonnar Maher's strength in cornerback, SO'N definitely can no longer play the position. Who else is there? Ye can have Damien Cahalane btw!

Smith614 wrote: »
    By accounts Aidan Walsh is going back to college in sept. 2 sports is a non runner, A good league campaign with the hurlers will set him up nicely with the hurlers for the championship.

He hasn't got his scholarship this year because he can't play Sigerson, plus he failed an exam last year, so presumably would have to pass that if he is going back
    I don't think we saw the best from Aidan Walsh in football or hurling this year. I think he fell between two stools really. I don't think he can play both sports and be better than fellas that play only football or only hurling. It's a different argument at club level but at senior intercounty level the standards are too high. You have to pick one or else be mediocre at both

I thought he was a breath of fresh air in the hurling, has given some superb displays at intercounty level at underage, 0-8 from the wing v Limerick a few years ago at U21

Cads and Walsh for the hurlers, Cahalane for the footballers - as mentioned above, Cadogen has the aggression needed for full back with the hurlers, but would need to concentrate on hurling

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Walsh is overrated. Hes an athlete but makes some bad decisions on the field of play like trying to get a score from sideline. Its great when it goes over but when it doesnt its frustrating and when your down you need to be working ball into better positions. You arent going to like what im saying but he went missing in the Tipp game. He is a better hurler than footballer but he must stick to one and be effective at that. The game has almost gone semi pro and he needs to be giving 100% in one code. Hopefully he does this and comes back a better player.

Amprodude wrote: »
    Walsh is overrated. You arent going to like what im saying but he went missing in the Tipp game. He is a better hurler than footballer but he must stick to one and be effective at that. The game has almost gone semi pro and he needs to be giving 100% in one code. Hopefully he does this and comes back a better player.

But to be fair to Walsh, he wasn't the only one that went missing, they all did! I can see it alright, but he is the one out of the three of them that can do it the best

Irish Mirror has Bob Ryan being quoted as wanting JBM to stay on - not surprising - doesn't rock the CCB boat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

But to be fair to Walsh, he wasn't the only one that went missing, they all did! I can see it alright, but he is the one out of the three of them that can do it the best

Irish Mirror has Bob Ryan being quoted as wanting JBM to stay on - not surprising - doesn't rock the CCB boat

i agree totally. If he concentrates on the hurling he will be much sharper and his first touch and skill will be alot better. Definite potential but people are making him to be a better player thsn he actually is. A Cadogan i would keep him on bench and give cahalane no more opportunties. He isnt inter county standard and we are in serious trouble if we continue with him. Players like Cronin cannot get the Cork jersey again. Horgan needs to get his head right for next year and perform to the standard he is capable of.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement