Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Amprodude wrote: »
    i agree totally. If he concentrates on the hurler he will be much sharper and his first touch and skill will be alot better. Definite potential but people are making him to be a better player thsn he actually is. A Cadogan i would keep him on bench and give cahalane no more opportunties. He isnt inter county standard and we are in seroius trouble if we continue with him.

I'd want Cadogan given a serious run at full back, to see if he can make a difference - there is no obvious one, and at the moment its sticking in someone and hoping. Shane O Neill and Stevie McDonnell are not full backs.

Sooner JBM or new management are appointed the better, can get to all the county championship games and see if any few lads stand out with a view to next year.

That sideline he took, great when they go over, shocking when they don't - you as a manager should have a system set up as to where players can go to create space for those

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Smith614 wrote: »
    By accounts Aidan Walsh is going back to college in sept. 2 sports is a non runner, A good league campaign with the hurlers will set him up nicely with the hurlers for the championship.

How many times has he gone to college at this stage?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

How many times has he gone to college at this stage?

This would be his third - but he can't play Sigerson/Fitz so has no scholarship - only accepted the course because he had a scholarship, so not sure if he is going back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

Walsh is overrated. Hes an athlete but makes some bad decisions on the field of play like trying to get a score from sideline. Its great when it goes over but when it doesnt its frustrating and when your down you need to be working ball into better positions. You arent going to like what im saying but he went missing in the Tipp game. He is a better hurler than footballer but he must stick to one and be effective at that. The game has almost gone semi pro and he needs to be giving 100% in one code. Hopefully he does this and comes back a better player.

Have to agree with this. Don't think Walsh is as good a hurler as he is a footballer. Think back to Cork's 2010 AI football winning campaign, Walsh was outstanding all year at centre field, a real powerhouse. He was only 20 years old that season. Won young footballer of the year also. Can never see him collecting similar accolades in hurling. Really felt his football suffered badly this year while playing the dual games. Was completely outplayed by Seamus O'Shea v Mayo. However, when coming on fresh against Tipp in the Munster S/F he kicked 3 top class points and his introduction saved Cork an embarrassing defeat. Contrast this to the hurling where I feel his initial good performances in Munster were perhaps down to his own enthusiasm and newness to playing hurling for the county. His shooting in particular in hurling leaves a lot to be desired and persisting in shooting for points from sideline cuts is is frustrating. Lorcán needs to move back to midfield in hurling where I feel he is far more effective. He has been distinctly average at wing back this season.

I can't accept that people are of the opinion that Walsh is a better hurler than footballer. I was up in Tullamore a few weeks back and he put a free over the bar from off the ground from about 55 meters out. They're aren't too many players in the country bar Bryan Sheehan who have the skill to do that. Walsh's athleticism and pace can be utilised far more in the big ball code.

I think that if anything this year showed that the duel player experiment was a failure and cannot continue. Cahalane wasn't great all year in both codes, especially in hurling where David Breen got the better of him in the Munster final and he was found out also against Tipp. Of the 3 he is the poorest hurler and could easily be moulded into a tough, uncompromising half back. Cadogan has the aggression, but again I'd question his hurling ability. Cadogan is a fine corner back in football when fit. I've given my opinion on Walsh and I feel if fit, and concentrating solely on football, he is one of the best midfielders in the country.

We need to find a few new hurlers for the upcoming season and stop relying on dual stars, all 3 of whom in my opinion are superior footballers than hurlers. A full back, wing back/midfielder and full forward need to be unearthed in next years league campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Id agree orizo you make good points but the touch and finese of all players bar sullivan possibly is top notch.
    We cant say if management dont rate them,then its correct,when they have made previous mistakes with some players and a classic like i said it would be,the complete dissaster of eoin cadogan on the panel,ahead of others yet he played just one league game,and limited challenge games.

Michael sullivan is a cooper,bonnar maher type of player 
    JBM wants greyhounds up front,but the all ireland series is not a derby but more like being in the artic pole extreme turblent conditions,and we need some huskies who can carry weight and provide fuel for our geyhounds,and will unselfisy slog all day long ,that when the sun does break our greyhounds can trail a blaze of glory.Balance is the Key,To hurling and indeed life in general.

Micahel sullivan,strong,fast abrasive,gets.stuck in,relishes a dog fight,tall,forages,wins  ball no.right to win,but great in the tackle.
    Better without the ball than with it at times as like bonnar not skilful on it,touch wise.Will.win you ball,but i wouldnt want him with the last goal chance to win a game but if  i wanted a.last ball won at half forward id have him every single time

Cronin,simar to michael,but a better touch,hes fast.mobile,strong,athletic,hooks,blocks,works,works,works,ideal in midfield with a wristy hurler,or as a ball winner at half forward
    Played football and hurling at all.grades for cork and unselfish worker.Never goes missing,dont expect him be five point man per game.A different type but vital type of player.

Rickard cahalane,fast,hurl both sides,fast hands,lovely touch,covers ground,can score within sixty yards,brillant u 21 and  ballymartle this year.

Anthony spillane,good in air,hurl.both sides,tough and aggressive,lays off good  ball,fast and mobile,still 19 but not too young imo like cahalane,pa callaghan,dennehy as unlike footballers ,this is a better enviroment,and  we have a lot expierence in most key positions,and barret,austion glesson,mcdonald,kelly,mcdonnell,collins,cadogan,dowling,bubbles,all showed being too young isnt a hindrance once you blood them in the right way unlike the  brian cuthbhert,throw a rookie in to championship with no league games.
    All corks talent at u21wont develop next year ,so its vital we get them on senior panel and we owe,we  simply owe callaghsns,spillanes,cahalane,barrys.etc to chance to finally work with a top set up,as the last three years have at minor,u21 worked under a Truly awful awful manager.Is that harsh?
    Purely as a manager no,why not call a spade a spadr.As.cusack.said we shoulnt accept Mediocirty,worse again when we do dress up ,its like
    A piece of coal as a gold nugget scenario. Somone here,theres bound to be one to say your being too harsh ,whats your agenda with Pat.
    I have no personal agenda,i rated him as player but seen him in four years of intercounty management that been brutally ,brutally poor, no one questions it,yet if it was there beloved man united,arsenal,celtic,liverpool such a manager there would be calls for him to be sacked.Dont rock he boat at home though.What a joke
    We as cusack said were Embarrssed by clare,not a word from the county board.Hush our fellow rebels,the storm will blow over ,were in the middle of a Cycle,probaly there view.

Colm spillane,fast,mobe,brave,great under high ball,strong in shoulder ,and tackle,no.nonense hurler but has oceans hurling on both sides as being superb at half forward,for club and county,played corner.back.for cork also so is versailte but full back is hes aera.
    He had terrible luck with injuries ,played u 21 in debut at just 19 got injured early,in a challenge cork v tipp in morris park in februaty,went full in to a challenge with jason forde,and broke hes nose
    Got league games,laois had a great game,injured again

Jbm thought be better with intermediates then.Only got fully fit mid summer but been outstanding.If he stays injury free will make it.
    The only cork full back to show up michael cussen the last four years as just a good club hurler at best,ucc v sars.
    Spillane came.on as a sub for ucc during the fitzgibbon cup to turn games for them.
    Brillant for thr intermediates and u 21 this year
    In.knowlan park 2013 in the league came on with a few minutes to go and won some nice balls,showed a real intent and desire

Colm barry,tough,hard both sides he can hurl,crisp delivers,superb under a high ball,not fast,but aint slow either,superb intermediatrs and club,out of position at u 21

Jamie nagle,outstanding u 21 for cork,in 2010 u21 game v tipp we lost,he was awesome,i mean majestic at centre back against Bonner Maher, then in 2011 v limerick he was superb when he went to dowling who ellis.couldnt.hold,got league games with walsh,superb in pairc v tipp,such tony considine had a glowing report for him on the monday.
    Had a championship apperance v tipp,in 2011,a sub after 45 minutes,he thundered in to the game,and.was a vital part of corks second half come back in thurles,still u 21.
    Then walsh inexpicably never started him v laois,offaly or galway to build momentum on the tipp game.

.He.made Cork club team.of the year last year and will again this year,superb county final in he  went in on cussen as patrick o mahoney whos a fine hurler.but a corner back not a full back in america,now i think,couldnt hold him,and nagle didnt give him a ball,even took a yellow for the team

He is superb under high ball,barging out of defence,has real dog and fight in him but he has hurling also ,superb for mideltoon this year also
    The million dollar question why doesnt jbm rate him and why despite some of corks media voting for him on cork club team.of the year,dont push hes case in papers and yesterday, as fine a hurler he say conor sullivan could maybee strengthen next year when in fairness cork have corner backs in o.neill,mcdonnell,

Cormac murphy county u 21 semi.final held conor lehane scoreless in one half from play ,and in the second half to just a few points,imo was a turning point for him as it gave him belief and confidence

Great year with ucc when not used as a wing forward.
    Superb for cork u 21 in challenge v tipp in fermoy,he beat three different tipp forwards.
    Superb v waterforf,and harsly got a red,as it ended hes intercounty season

Superb for cork intermediates in four games particulaty tipp and galway.
    In two senior challenges,destroyed david reidy in charville and scored,and in knowlan park v wexford.

Superb for mallow in intermediate also.
    He bulked up hughely,super wrists,touch,fast,great in the air must get two consequctives league gamed

Pa callaghan,has real dog and cut him,from ballyhea ,a small club.,its bred in to him,has both sides hurling,fast,elusive,superb touch and accuracy.If hes injury free and commits will make it,wins dirty.ball

Michael chalane,all year last year in the harty up,i paid him glowing tributes and adovacted a senior call up.He had it all,and a superb temparment.Unlikey we will see him in a cork shirt .I wish him the best.A superb young man,and im sure.will accomplish great things in life

Mick walsh ,tenacious,tough,good at u 21,he is around 27,good under denish walsh,particulary in 2012 knowlan park we lost by a point he was very good

Never got a sustained run in the league under jbm,brought on as a sub game over when we beat tipp.well,he could of went through the motions,instead hes first call of duty was to shoulder a tipp lad over the sideline,pick up the ball,drive it straight over the bar for a.point.

Came on i think in the playoff v clare but deserved more games
    Superb for cork intermediates bar the final this year.

I would and did adovacte david drake who has lovely wrists,superb sideline ball taker great man to score up to sunday but after that,game i realise,cork have an abundance fast,tappy hurlers,but some lack aggression ,bite in their hurling and i fear drake is likewise

• Advertisement

Jack sheehan,in america,coming home shortly,really impressed me in fitzgibbon cup ul,and i believe brian lohan hughely impressed with a lad never played full back before.Destroyed at times chris joyce when playing half forward for eirns own,is great under a high ball,tough,abrasuve,a real nasty streak all full backs must have,has hurling
    Ask jack guiney would he relish going timber for timber with sheehan in ul v ucd
    He tried,and got hes answer
    Sheehan is.ill.disciplined,and that needs to be curbed but id rather work with a player with bite and steel and dilute it a bit than try put bite,heart,soul in a player where none exists.
    Is sheehan the answer?
    We dont know,but from what i saw of him he has raw potential that with league expiernce may be developed and is better than shane o neill or.maccie combined at full back
    I hope,in fact we so badly need a full back and cover for there,i someone tells jbm,to have a look at sheehan with ul,or send fraggie.murphy with lit to do a scouting mission in hes next game for ul,or ask brian lohan

Alan dennehy,cit,cork intermediayes,been superb ,fast tenacious,and.he suprised me,hes.strong under the high ball.

Players that Should be dropped of the panel
    I understand some here are from clubs of some of these players,no offence geuinely is meant,but no sentiment or emotion,we.need kilkennys ruthless bold honest conviction

Cian mac,loads.of hurling great temparment but mobility and pace lacking.Would get by without one,impossible to get by without both
    Haughney,lovely hurling,fast hands,but no cut,aggression or bite,fine in an open game,but kilkenny,limerick,clare midfield would blow him away.
    Was injured,but did get a chance before that.

Lawton,has hurling,but miles of in.terms of. aggression ,hurling temparment required senior.intercounty,but would be a good addition to next years intermediate team
    Egan,been around the block for five years or so,on hes day great,on a bad day can be poor.
    Time to be ruthless,nagle,barry,murphy must get a chance

Eoin cadogan,a compete like i said it would be waste of time hurling,one league game limited challenge games,appalling decison to have him on the panel
    I wish all those that wrote articles last winter,who.had.cadogan as a.number.one starter be honest to say its been a poor year
    Yes he got.injured but as i said in november,complete wrong to ask a guy struggling with injury play both codes,plus little club hurling done
    Cahalane could be a hurler if it was just hurling,but a man with a record of injuries,better sticking to football as hes been best club centre back in cork the last two years and must develop hes footballing where it has gone back a lot
    We dont need him in hurling,as spillane,dennehy,sheehan,if they fail which is unlikey close to impossible, Nagle  could to do a job at full back

Archer,walsh was growing up a hurler,first and foremost talent wise,superb half back on 08 minor winning team,2011 half forward.u 21,8 points from play and for cit in the run to cork county final always.had hurling ability,and got.a trial with walsh in hurling ist,and walsh hardly a shrewd manager at any level,didnt rate him but then counihan brought him in,won two all stars and young player of the year,as he was flying with the all ireland u21 football winning team in 2009 but hes footballing ,kick passing,scoring etc,,hasnt fully developed due to counihan trying to incorrectly make him a centre forward ,and cuthbhert.then making him a one man show.in midfield,when dinneen ,laoire,could been hes partner,taking the onus of him to be a main ball distrubuitor,when those those can do that,and.leave walsh to use hes athletiscim win primary aerial ball

Maguire,kiely are other partner options next year.
    Walsh as far im aware is still making hurleys,if not in colledge in dublin can combine both but only him ,not collins,two cadogans,cahalane etc

Walsh unlike any of the.rest is pivotal to both cork teams. like Rebel Girl said is a pheonmal athlete.
    He s dualisim is justifed as hes cause in both has the desired effect
    Archer if he was to choose one or the other and work hundred per cent soley on code he could be as great in either one,as hurling hes left side striking would improve,but in footba hes kickpassing and shooting would become more accu
    rate and constant over time.

Hes striking in hurling was exposed against tipp in terms of finese as limericks brute force suited him,he bounced of them like a kangaroo,tipps duo left win him ball,but hooked and bloocked him no end,turned him over no end
    What cork should of done sunday was.put him to half forward in the second half on maher,lorchan to midfield,as I said in the.lead up ,this is the one game like in 2012 that would suited lorchan as there was oceans of space in the middle.
    Lorchan has as countless games proved,exposed time and again at midfield against physical players,has been a relevation at half back all year,in league knowlan park last year,was awesome in u 21 v tipp 2010 alongside,egan and nagle,picked up the world of ball at half back sunday,made numerous.hooks blocks,one great hook but tipp had greater numbers at the breakdown,thus got that breakinh ball led to callians second goal

Lorchan as he has done all year is first reciever from nash short puckouts and superb delivers to our forwards.Hes passing was awful sunday but every other aera he was finr
    He performed majestically at centre back in cits run to the 2011 cork county final.
    He is a half back.,not a midfielder,as many games as a midfielder for cork he was subbed.
    He imo can only play midfield on rare occasions where its an open fluent game of hurling like in 2012 v tipp,last year v dublin when he got three points and last sunday but hes best position is half back as him and kearney be blown away like a fly in a hurricane up against walshes,ryans,hogans,fennellys,browne,james ryan,le chinsbrick walsh etc,as there phyiscal players,strong and robust.

So cork need a physical player like aidan walsh to fill one berth,while daniel kearney,immense sunday in a loosing battle,is an auotmatic starter in the other berth.
    Cork on occasion must be cute though like cody,pick and change it in a horses for courses selection as different games ,have different players that test players in various different ways,hence why the correct match ups in all sports are absoultely crucial,essential and paramount To Modern Elite Sport and play a huge,huge,part in the winning and loosing of games imo.

One dual player could work but five havent a hope of working,espiceally when kerry knock out our footballers in killarney next year and we have a qualifer to contend with,and.if we get to a munster hurling final and beaten could be hurling the same day or day after.
    How in the name of God will that work

Cork city played derry and beat them in the brandywell saturday night,lads got home at 5am,yet had play bray ,bottom of the.league nearly at home.just last night.
    A proffesional soccer team that had no work to go to,could sleep all day sunday,big panel,naturally and understandably were tired and flat last night and didnt win si.how in the name of jesus can someone please tell me,how ameateaur lads cope with knockout hurling and football matches in less than 24 hours when it arises with.5 duals and.how the team ethic,moral of both camps wont be effected by such a scenario????

Fair fair play,Eammon Murphy,some.harsh truths in tonights Echo,he carries on where cusack left off

Eammon,one of a few writers there im huge fan.of,dont always agree with.them but they really are top journalists,and to be fair to eammon.,i.posted a link, he made good points after the u 21 embarrsement but even last year criticsed the u21 set up ,etc and always ,called for a Drector of Hurling,donal og cusack

Fair play to him.Lets hope our former greats row in behind them,demand real change,and a complete over haul in corks coaching structutre
    Its surely not a huge ask to want more for cork gaa at all codes,men and women,at all levels.The players deserve more.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

In relation to cusacks rant which was totally unbalanced and one sided, Kerry last won a minor football all Ireland in 1994 and they have done well winning numerous senior all Ireland's. Galway hurlers have won plenty of minor and u21 all Ireland's in the last 20 years and had no success on the senior stage since 1988. Seemed to me also he is still bitter after being dropped by JBM and seeing Anthony Nash become a far superior keeper to what he is. Winning at underage is no guarantee it will transfer to the senior team success. Not like the way either people in the media are writing off this cork team after one bad performance least we forget we were seconds away from all Ireland success last year and we are the current Munster champions. In JBM we trust.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭sean mac

Rebel1977 wrote: »
    In relation to cusacks rant which was totally unbalanced and one sided, Kerry last won a minor football all Ireland in 1994 and they have done well winning numerous senior all Ireland's. Galway hurlers have won plenty of minor and u21 all Ireland's in the last 20 years and had no success on the senior stage since 1988. Seemed to me also he is still bitter after being dropped by JBM and seeing Anthony Nash become a far superior keeper to what he is. Winning at underage is no guarantee it will transfer to the senior team success. Not like the way either people in the media are writing off this cork team after one bad performance least we forget we were seconds away from all Ireland success last year and we are the current Munster champions. In JBM we trust.

You need to look at the history of CORK all Ireland winning teams and see the direct correlation with underage successful teams. In respect to Kerry - look at their very successful corn ui mhuiri record 11 since 2000 and at the very least their minor teams are very competitive in munster winning this year and last year for example, as for galway difficult to understand.
    Dublin directly correlated with their all Ireland u21 winning teams, mayo the same, tipp who thrashed us on sunday minor/u21 winners.
    As for 'one sided' what is the other side??? Is ONE GDA for the entire city of cork enough? Paidi butler has said it would need 12 ALONE for hurling.
    Yet the ccb has squirrelled away 10millino euro for a stadium that will rarely be full and a centre of excellence that is by NO definition a centre of anything -except a land acquisition to resell in 10 years for development.
    As for the team, it is exceeding expectations by miles and a credit to JBM, who has got them way more competitive then their limited hurling ability deserves.
    2013 was a soft all Ireland for the taking and we were close, this year the 2 big boys are back fully tuned and when we met them we couldn't meet with them.
    As you say winning at underage is NO guarantee, but I guarantee you winning NOTHING at underage is a guarantee to winning NOTHING at senior level.
    I don't agree with everything cusack said and I certainly detected some bitterness but to simply write it off and come up with trite nonsense 'in JBM we trust' is like something we would hear from the green felt covered table near the beamish rooms - nonsense
    I notice you discount Kerrys u21 all irleand win since 2008 because of course it doesn't square with your 'argument'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Lads I can't believe some of ye are still clinging to the notion that Dual is possible! To quote a top inter-county manager "aside from being played on the same pitch and by the same number of players, the games of hurling and football are world's apart"...there is simply no way a player can get over 75% performance (being generous) in either game doing the dual thing. I really admire the players for trying and in a way, it's a pity, but it's just not possible at the very highest level and this year has been another clear illustration of that.

Now, Donal Óg is no doubt not un-fond with the sound of his own voice and I'm not sure if his outburst was timed that well or if it will have the desired effect...but I'll tell you what, 99% of it was absolutely correct to me, including his assertion that dual is simply impossible in the modern games.

I disagree a little with him on the COE in that I don't think Cork should have one big central training centre (I'd assume he was exaggerating slightly with his 20 pitches!). I think one medium size centre in the city and similar size ones in the direction of East Cork for hurling, and one in the direction of West Cork for football.
    Some would argue that Clon and Mallow fit these criteria already and should be co-opted by CCB a lot more and it's hard to disagree with that. I also agree that the site down by the park is not suited to a centre of excellence and in fairness anything I've seen or heard about the plans are pretty far off what a modern COE should be anyway.
    The stadium is a fairly shady plan by the sounds of it..€70m being spent and part of it is moving an already shabby roof over to the far side..Cusack's spot on about that too..people are being sold a pup!

sean mac wrote: »
    You need to look at the history of CORK all Ireland winning teams and see the direct correlation with underage successful teams. In respect to Kerry - look at their very successful corn ui mhuiri record 11 since 2000 and at the very least their minor teams are very competitive in munster winning this year and last year for example, as for galway difficult to understand.
    Dublin directly correlated with their all Ireland u21 winning teams, mayo the same, tipp who thrashed us on sunday minor/u21 winners.
    As for 'one sided' what is the other side??? Is ONE GDA for the entire city of cork enough? Paidi butler has said it would need 12 ALONE for hurling.
    Yet the ccb has squirrelled away 10millino euro for a stadium that will rarely be full and a centre of excellence that is by NO definition a centre of anything -except a land acquisition to resell in 10 years for development.
    As for the team, it is exceeding expectations by miles and a credit to JBM, who has got them way more competitive then their limited hurling ability deserves.
    2013 was a soft all Ireland for the taking and we were close, this year the 2 big boys are back fully tuned and when we met them we couldn't meet with them.
    As you say winning at underage is NO guarantee, but I guarantee you winning NOTHING at underage is a guarantee to winning NOTHING at senior level.
    I don't agree with everything cusack said and I certainly detected some bitterness but to simply write it off and come up with trite nonsense 'in JBM we trust' is like something we would hear from the green felt covered table near the beamish rooms - nonsense
    I notice you discount Kerrys u21 all irleand win since 2008 because of course it doesn't square with your 'argument'

Exceeding expectations; Cork beat the 2013 all ireland champions and the 2013 munster champions and beat Waterford just to win the munster title this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

citykat wrote: »

Very disappointing from McGrath. Done everything to dodge having to comment on Cork underage hurling whilst eagerly putting the boot into Cusack. At least he'd didn't go down Tomas Mul's route and talking up underage defeats I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

Cork going through worst ever run in the Harty Cup
    Joint worst ever run at minor.
    By far worst run at U21.

In every other county this would be seen as a full blown crisis.
    Kerry win all round them at colleges level and have a fine U21 record.

Jamie Nagle to elaborate from earlier is a strange ommission
    I have already given clear examples why he should be on the panel,but i must add to it

In 2011under walsh he got two league games,two outstsanding games,v tipp ,against bonner maher,thats twice he marked him.and done well,in wexford,he destroyed banville,a big physical player.

He never got any more league games but the championship sub game v tipp game he was outstanding.
    Jbm named hes 2012 panel for he league,but he never got any league games time ,yet ross cashman whos form nothing like nagle ,got two league games ,poor v dublin had be taken off ,yet nagle got no chance.

He didnt get game time in 2013 or this year,instead we peristed with.stephen white who had more than enough chance this year ,last year,and this year and under a previous cork manager,was poor at times for cork intermediates,like ross cashman this year for cork intermediates never stoof out.

Nagle won an all ireland fresher with ucc in 2010 ,hurled fitzgibbon cup also,a great u 21 career on poorly coached teams,and a cork senior county medal,so he has a steady graph of progression.

Jbm wanted to add presence beef up the half back line wanted add aggression,so cadogan was added.

Nagle is 6 foot three,13 stone aprox pure muscle,and a great hand to catch a ball.
    Not a dirty player but very aggressive like the.delaneys,maher,gardiner etc and got a card in the county final,so he has what jbm wants but has real hurling,not just hit and hope but distrubtes ball well and at club or county,i have never seen him go missing in a game.
    He has real fight and grit,and would imo be a tremendous addition to the cork team next year imo.

Theres two half backs that this year i cant understand are not starting on intercounty teams nagle is one,tom ryan of limerick the other player.

I travelled to limerick just to watch ryan play tonight.and see in relation to cork how their club games compared to corks.
    In a tight ptich in claghaun that wouldnt suit hes pace he was awesome ,one of the best club displays i saw at club in any county this year.
    He cleaned up in ball,brought physicality(dont like kilkennyhave proved to be big men to bring physicality)scored wonderful long distance points,and even though he started midfield,between their and half back he was Majestic,im glad hes team won with a last minute goal.Imo he Would have been the man for riche hogan,as he is tigerish,bullish,aggressive hurler,with pace,and fast hurling with an abiliy to score from anywhere within fifty yards of goal.

Rebel 1977 the Galway excuse is well worn out at this stage an old fabricated yarn,those too dont want to invest money in the underage scencr in or dont want to put the work, in always throw along with cork have no given right to win all irelands,its cyles etc which is proven time and again to be a complete load of bollo#imo.
    Galway have their reasons unknown to all why there still 29 years still waiting.Its clearly an exception to the rule

Your trying to paint a comparision. that doesnt add up in kerry to cork.
    Let me clarfiy since 1994 kerry won 12 munster minor titles, been in three all ireland finals,so while they havent won it hasnt been dismally,poor like our minor hurling,and they got to croke park and won three and four in row munster titles ,But since o 1 our famine in minor hurling cork has been just five munsters,one all ireland final expierence,and.Not one MUNSTER FINAL APPERANCE SINCE.2008-lets call spade a spade,theres is not great, ours is shambocially woefulling embarrasing.

Since our last u 21 all ireland win in 98 we have contested no all ireland final,won two munster finals,imo it is a joke.The next cork senior all ireland winning team since 1964 u21 began will have not.one single u 21 all ireland medal winner,for the ist time ever its seems likey ,and last year couldnt even get One single nomination fot the inagural u21 team of the year,and had two embarrssing heavy defeats in 2013,2014 at u 21,but ,the word on the street is lets not panic,its not as bad as it seems.Unbelievable.

Kerry while poor at u 21 won two.u 21 all irelands in their famine
    Clare u 21,cork u 21 in 1966,Tipp in 2010,Donegal footballers ,dublin,germany world champions had around seven of an european u 21 winning team,the list is endless in if you have successful youth teams,with top senior coaching, success is guaranteed.
    If You are missing either trait in either code,you fail imo.

Cusack,the self publisit having a rant music to my ears.Critising hes goalkeeping is nothing to do with hes rant,clearly negates imo the potency of your counter argument.

Just cause he had the courage,conviction,honesty to speak home truths,he ruffled feathers,im delighted like many he said it and eammon murphy followed it up today.

I Just saw Anna Geary in the Rose Of Tralee she done Cork proud,what a woman, spoke up womens sport glowingly.

Seanie mcgrath i said it here yesterday is pro county board,their spokesperson,is anyone suprised with hes stance,in fairness that was always predictable,in cork its like the same old usal suspects.

She was glowingly beautfuilly in the lovely,awesome red dress of Cork.
    Best of luck to her tonight.
    What a spendid articulate poem,and She truly reperesents beauty,both from the inside out as a person and in looks,a talented camoige player but a real intelligent modern day woman.Outstanding stuff Anna.

Exceeding expectations; Cork beat the 2013 all ireland champions and the 2013 munster champions and beat Waterford just to win the munster title this year.

Would get realistic.man.,tje.expectation.i.knew cork.huräing had was winning all.irelands

The day we become limerick glorify a.now meaningless munster title not all irelands is the day cork gaa has truly became a minnow
    We were expected to.beat.waterford and.limerick,hardly at present elite.teams.imo.

sean mac wrote: »

brillantly said sean.

Very disappointing from McGrath. Done everything to dodge having to comment on Cork underage hurling whilst eagerly putting the boot into Cusack. At least he'd didn't go down Tomas Mul's route and talking up underage defeats I suppose.

What did tomas mul say

Seemed to me also he is still bitter after being dropped by JBM and seeing Anthony Nash become a far superior keeper to what he is.

Nash is good but i think Cusack was a better keeper and was so accurate with his puck outs he could place the sliotar into a players mouth with his pin point accuracy in finding his target.

If are just using a Munster title as success then we are going no where. Cork need to be aiming a bit higher than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Shannon really is one of the few quality GAA journalists left out there. Great piece by him.

http://www.eveningecho.ie/2014/08/19/cork-legend-cunningham-to-take-the-reins-of-ucc-fitzgibbon-team/

Ucc nailed on for the fitzgibbon cup next
    I hope they get lit,interesting how he deals with davy sweeper,

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Paudiepodge

Some posters on this thread cant seem to discuss the Cork hurling team without having a dig at the Limerick hurling team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭roshje

Some posters on this thread cant seem to discuss the Cork hurling team without having a dig at the Limerick hurling team.

Yes so it seems;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Archer3083 wrote: »
    Do you think Ron O Shea could be a better player than Aidan Walsh at midfield over the next couple of years. I think the dual players have to pick one side or the other and I think all 3 dual players are better footballers than hurlers. I'd like to believe that there are plenty of fellas playing hurling full time that are better bets long term than the dual players.

Rob O'Shea is very similar to Kearney, which I think will be the main reason he won't start midfield, unless they move Kearney to half-forward, which is possible. Personally I'd like to see O'Shea/Kearney midfield, with Walsh half-forward, but that would mean less protection for Ellis and less power under dropping balls in the middle of the pitch, so its a trade off.

Think we need O'Shea and Kearney somewhere though. Their work-ethic and pace are essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Smith614

We can take what the former Goalkeeper says with a pinch of salt. His bitterness knows no end. As Landers said why doesn't he do something and get involved if he is so concerned. HiS GPA activities probably hinder him from contributing anything positive.
    As president of the GPA shouldn't his time be limited to a few yrs term?? President of GAA, Camogie, Ladies football etc have a set term and move on then but This doesn't seem to be the case with GPA. Its probably too lucrative to let anybody else have the position.
    It would be great if Cusack went to CCB meeting or Convention and aired all his views from that forum instead of being an attention seeker on tv which was not the correct platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

It would be great if Cusack went to CCB meeting or Convention and aired all his views from that forum instead of being an attention seeker on tv which was not the correct platform.

How do you know he hasnt, plus can you give one, even one, example of someone who has achieved anything via that route that wasnt already a stooge?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,880 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

We can take what the former Goalkeeper says with a pinch of salt. His bitterness knows no end. As Landers said why doesn't he do something and get involved if he is so concerned. HiS GPA activities probably hinder him from contributing anything positive.
    As president of the GPA shouldn't his time be limited to a few yrs term?? President of GAA, Camogie, Ladies football etc have a set term and move on then but This doesn't seem to be the case with GPA. Its probably too lucrative to let anybody else have the position.

You mat think he is bitter, but what he said was correct, make no mistake about it!
    People all over the country are talking about his comments - that is a huge positive as far as I'm concerned.

What would come from a Donal speech at a CCB Meeting, the cronies would listen to him and then do what they were going to do anyway!

You go about about limiting the term in the GPA but leave out the LIFE LONG term Frank Murphy has !! Too lucrative you say???? Maybe you're right!

• Advertisement

Tell me how does he get involved??and change it when he wont be let within a hundred feet of pairc u caoimh

People like you sub quote to suit your agenda
    Again time for fact not
    imo what you said

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=222751

Read the article
    Landers agrees with cusack,just the timing of it

However im a huge fan of mark,but hes wrong about timing
    When doescusack say the truths,not much good in december when the bubble has bust,people then say hes using it just fill newspapwer,articles.

Yes wounds in cork gaa are raw now granted,but now is the time for truth and honesty,does he wait til storm blows over,ffs thats the story of cork gaa everwhere,you speak harsh,unpopolar truths,your seen as the enemy,negative,a .a man with an agenda,and being deconstructive when nothing is farther from the truth,these people are actually people love cork gaa so much,appreciate what it stands for,that they take the route they choose,hardly by choice,but if they dont who will
    Keane had to walk out in Saipan before Real change happened,and players werent treated like sub standard citzens and prepation was better.Those that criticsed keaned prospered in time from the benfits of it,ironicslly ,but fair play niall quinn got him to sunderland as he knew was a winner.

There has been calamity of dissaster after disaater after dissaster at u 21,in  senior football this year,no body former greats question it.
    Yes people like mick slocun,handpicked,comes out dont crticise cuthbhert,when nothing is said regards treatment some players etc
    Slocum a great player of course worked with cuthbhert as a minor a selector.
    My advise for mick is concentrate on the  barrs,he hardly set the world alight this year.

As for cusacks hes involved as much as he can  be.He was down in o donovan rossa weeks ago,promoting hurling and coaching in a non hurling stronghold,was in banteer then,normally football territorty,colin lane the referee is from there ,cork senior footballers trained earlier this year.

Cusasck when he got injured in 2012,helped coach cork with jbm,but then of course he was cut from the panel.

You dont have to like cusack,but cork gaa needs hes types not the don davis,seanie mcgraths involved with teams,, chararcthers the media adore but wont say harsh truths.

That seanie mcgrath interview imo was terrible,he completely dodged the underage shambles with a pöör answer then ,cork always have hurlers.

We know that,thats the frustating point we have hurlers but due to poor coaching and a dire u21 set up their not being developed.

I hope to god kerry beat mayo,i.like mayo,and huge time for Ed -Couhglan,James Horan,Rate Donie Buckley as one of the best coaches.around  and truly would love them to win an all ireland,I mentioned many times here im a fan of both Couhglan and Kieran Shannon,as guranateed as night follows day mayo get to the all ireland final,some and they are there those in Cork,will convince themselves,worse still try to convince others,it could be cork in the final,as we got beaten by just a point by mayo,when the bare facts harsh truths,mayo outscored us to 8 points to nil when they wanted to win before taking the foot of the pedal and were miles of an all ireland under the current set up.

Kerry winning may get the message across,in that we dominate them at u21 level,with a similar core bunch of players on both sides but they invairably,consistenly year after year do better than us as at senior level,primarily as they always had a superior coaching set up to us.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement