Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/hurling/late-drive-for-line-sees-sars-win-classic-283023.html#.U_XeTQXlp_o.hootsuite

Sounds like an epic fair play to the paper for covering it.
    The talent in hurling is there in cork,just needs to be developed.

http://www.eveningecho.ie/2013/08/20/two-jobs-will-shape-corks-hurling-future/

Eammon murphy done that days before the all ireland final.
    Many even before we knew that result , some saw Cork hurling had huge problems,all others not all say since then want to cling to is the view cork came to within seconds of an all ireland win when in truth no one can deny over 140 minutes of hurling the better team but Some wont take it at face value
    In what kieran shannon correctly said.,last season hurling in general with the suprises in many games with many teams was a fluke bar clare as we all knew there were a coming force based on a point loss to a highely rated kilkenny in the 2010 all ireland minor final,2 all ireland u21 titles  on course for a third prior to then,and a 2011 All Irealand Intermediate hurling title.
    Clare had a defined natural line of progression that we all knew where the journey would end,it was really and truly only a matter of when,as all that talent was complimented by proven successful coaches in Paul Kinnerk,and Davys success with Waterford and LIT.
    Like in the football  Cork one point defeat to mayo ,will if mayo win the all ireland or even get to the final ,some will say Cork were very very close when you look at the season as a whole not just one game,and it has not been a great season by any means,and by many peoples realistic targets cork did not succeed.

They ,the board,credit due got the minor appointment as proven on the field of play spot on this year.
    A prove,expierenced winning coach,with an upcoming potential great.
    A real example of a master and a student type role.

A lot of what has  been said,is not old,novel news by Cusack,in that Donal O Grady,in a three part examiner piece in 2012 tackled corks problems raised valid points.
    Its not cusack having a rant,just rehightling some of what was already said  before by others.

You dont have to like cusack ,i understand hes not everyone cup of tea,but take that aside,the emotion away as its not a popularity contest ,all that matters is what is good for Cork gaa,and to be fair cusack raised like many before,him valid points.It would be foolish to at least not try and understand hes views.

Back in around 2007 or 2008 limerick even then had more full time gdos than cork and ardscoil  rios has been a work in progress since around 2001,so the point is they have been way ahead and credit due of cork, at schools and underage now for some time.
    Limerick are not resting on their laurels,already working on the next batch of minor,wont be as strong as this year but a very good team all the same with around seven mabee more of this years panel eligble next years,and guys like casey and paddy o loughlin who played like last sunday involved.

We have started making progress,espiceally mideleton  winning the Dean ryan cup win beating  a superbly coached niall morans ard scoil ris ,a powerhouse in hurling in schools in the final,and all their teachers,and peter dowling from kilkenny a current senior club hurler and Cork County winner with Midelton,kearney  hurley ,ronan dwayne etc deserve immense credit for all their great work with midelton cbs.

Look at the upcoming All Ireland Minor final on sept 7,most of  those kilkenny and limerick teams come from three successful schools in hurling,st kierans,kilkenny cbs,and Ard scoil in limerick
    I saw ard scoil prepartion for their game with Hamilton cbs in the Harty Cup when their harty cup team on a wet cold night travelled by bus to mallow to play a challenge match v cork minor hurlers in mallow because two weeks later they were playing hamilton in the harty cup in that same ptich
    Cork minors were primarily chosen as opponents as every knowleagble hurling man in munster knew with landers and ring they were a well coached team.

O Gradys three series articles
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/hurling/just-how-far-has-cork-hurling-fallen-217352.html

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/columnists/donal-ogrady/since-2006-7-18-munster-colleges-a-level-hurling-trophies-have-been-on-offer-cork-are-bottom-of-the-list-with-one-217444.html

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/columnists/donal-ogrady/can-the-empire-strike-back-217529.html

Every county in ireland im sure has some problem,thats understandable,feasible,and quite natural but Corks underage problems at schools,u21 and minor have been around for a long while to be fair in hurling to be just dismissed as a cusack rant.Yes the timing upsets people ,but he had an audience on national television ,he took it.
    O grady wrote hes three piece work of art,probably some outisde cork ,didnt read it.
    Cusacks cameo was seen by all over on a prime sporting slot.
    It wasnt a rant by cusack,he knew he had an oppurinty.

You see lets be honest he was in a no win situation,couldnt say it last year, be seen as deconstructive as we were winning,says it now oh hes sticking the knife in,he waits six months,oh why didnt he say it then ,now were on the eve of a new chamionship.With some he couldnt win ,lets be honest.

Good old cork gaa,if its strong,opinated,against popular view,the simple fact is there never is a right time to say what needs to be said imo,but instead lets roll with,ah its not that bad,its a cycle,the lazy argument of galway underage scenario just like in the footbball in we had close to 21 years senior failure ,so the nonense cork football has no real reason to expect more,and in the u 21 hurling embarrsement the last two years,the response is,it still prouces one or two senior players.
    What is not acknowledged is in hurling both clare u 21,cork 97 ,98 had around at least eight or more senior players,but more importantly had a winning belief unlike the players coming up presently at underage level.
    A lot of cherry picking by some in cork where they do just imo see what they want to,turn a blind eye to the harsh facts.

In 2012 cork hurling had real real problems from the ground up sparking o gradys review.
    2013 was a one off year,with the big two gone,but there back and set to stay,and Clare next year and an improving wexford ,means Cork have huge compeition next year.

Dublin wont be a threat if daly stays,they need a new voice,it depends who they get.
    Galway are similar,depends who is.manager.
    Waterford,are building ,but division two wont do them any favours.
    Limerick ,will be around ,thats all.though  but imo wont be winning all irelands or even in the final.

Such a loss sunday imo is a crucial  blow to the cork team and im not sure we can brush it off simply,as a one off.
    This loss to cork is more a blow in the mindset of the team more than anything as unlike tipp when they lost to waterford in 2008,by a few points,were building a team,we are in year  three ,hammerred out the gate after fifty minutes,so its a crucial crucial blow to a group that many never won minor,u21 munsters,no all irelands at either bar nash as a sub in minor 2001,destroyed in two league final
    s 2010,2012,a league pla
    Y off and  relegated,and lost what was essentislly a league decider in cork v an  injury depeleted limerick with 14 men by just drawing,got promoted by limerick ,not a dig at limerick,a Bare fact,they making a mess up against offaly helped us.

This myth that Division ib isnt a hindrance,was proven to be complete pure drivel and nothing but refined bull  of the highest order ,as bar last years freak of nature,division  two teams dont do well in winning all irelands.

Even bar as kieran shannon said munster is meaningless imo sad to see but truly becoming a mickey mouse competion imo,facts dont like,but limerick won that lAst year but like dublin got beaten in the all ireland semi finals,cork  and limerick from that division lost at the same stage this year so, that proves like the last 14 or so years teams outside top division havent a hope of winning åll irelands.

I said it in april 2013,and this year it was a dissaster for cork to be outside the top division in the.league but some like there doing now,painted over it with the myth it not as bad as it seems,there positivty from it,dont panic, etc.etc when are people going to wake up ,call a spade a spade and see what stares cork gaa in the face

So while cork improved from last year,and had a better team,the tipp and killkenny done likwise,we have still hugh problems to solve,in full back,dualism(not gone away,in fact likely to get worse)our depth in the panel all serious issues i highlighted consistently all year in my posts,so while we will be a top four team,i see few reasons to be postive we can win the all ireland next year and end a ten year famine.Remember winning all irelands defines cork hurling.
    The team is young enough with an average of around at most 24,but we need a new selector,one tactcially innovative in the modern game, next year,a full back,and ten new faces to the 2015 league panel to add serious kilkenny,clare like competiton for places.

But of course to solve any problem in life,you first got to accept you have one to begin with,some in Cork simply dont accept we have problems in cork hurling.
    It is a problem very hard to solve then.Now when i say a full back,i dont mean a corner back dressed up in the No 3 full back jersey,i mean A NATURAL HURLING FULL BACK ,something since the Rock Cork hurling failed to do.
    The Rock was Just19 he captained cork in 1998 to a national hurling league title,abelit at corner back to groom him in,so spillane at 22 isnt too young.
    And jbm must stay on,simply must.
    I hope and would like matthews to also stay on,if he goes though there is no shortage of top class trainers out there.

One thing i dont agree with now in is some are calling  now for John Allen as a  coach at underage or we need a change at minor level,ring and landers are as good anything in the country imo.

No no,simply no way imo should john allen be a coach of the cork u 21 team.
    I have given many examples of this myth that Allen is a great coach is flawed,and he has no concept if tactics,cant read a game and reading hes columns in the paper is not tactilly innovative imo.
    He lost an all ireland with cork in 2006,,couldnt see what all of cork and most of the country knew start wayne sherlock.Fogarty destroyed mulchay,got man of the match, Allen changed mulchay close on fifty minutes.

He lost two league promotion plays off v limerick,many criticsed him then,won a flawed munster title two games at home,couldnt for 60 minutes put away a cork team with 14 men,one half of the game,on the hottest day of the year yet limerick had him as a hero.

He on the wednesday in a paper in the lead up to the clare game told galway how they should beat clare, then on the sunday he hadnt any plan himself,so much he stared across croke park,left the team in the dressing room on their own at half time,Some managerial skills in fairness.
    In that same newspaper article ,imo ,unbelievable to read leading in to a majior game,he said he didnt look forward to the clare game the "tactical nightmare"that clare would bring,and he wasnt excited by it.
    Thats the type of manager we want to lead our u 21 team in to battle against the paul kinnerks,jerry o connors of the world,hardly.

He won an all ireland with cork in 05,a team o grady built,team expected to beat galway win an all ireland final,(never beat cork in all ireland finals) but compeltey outthought by o grady and davy fitz.
    Its not critising for the sake of it,i said it would happen in the limerick thread all last year,iöand it did.

The warning signs were there in 2006 with cork in a one  point win over a poor limerick in thurles,a one point win v waterford he refused to change things.
    He wrote recently that he saw no warning signs in the limerick lead up to clare last year.He played seamus hickey out of position and the immense dowling couldnt start.

He said Cork could only beat themselves in the lead up to the 2006 final.He forgot  brian cody he faced.In that same article he said the 2006 final by passed him,he never saw the kilkenny game coming.I mean he was facing then a three time all ireland winning manager in fairness.What did he expect,Kilkenny our greatest rival to hand us a three in a row,after we deprived them of the same fate in 2004.

He played a back cian o connor eirns own as a forward in munster game based on a hat trick in a mickey mouse challenge game v clare,He brings him on as a forward v kilkenny in all ireland final when we had better options.

As a liason team officer,massesuse,communications manager etc yes Id have him on any team in the country but no way ,is he a manager at the top level.Hughely exposed and i gave many many examples of this in the past.John allen has a lot of great skills,tactically astute coaching imo is not hes strongest skill set.

Fair play to the echo today for showing a photo on the back page last nights u.16 final,surely a first,and it shows the hurling.talent is in cork,but coaching structures are the real problem in Cork hurling.

At least since sunday ,the Echo is becoming more balanced in its views and giving two sides of the debate,all you can ask for in a paper.Cusack has already made a difference.Its a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Rebel S

Some good points but hiring such people is an expensive business, it's not just wages for the year but long term commitment etc to the individual.

What I would like to see is clubs pulling together to get things sorted out themselves, it's easy to blame the CB etc but clubs have to want to compete at the very highest level. I think Sars and Erin's Own hired their own development coach a number of years ago and got him involved with the clubs and local schools, they have definitely seen the benefit of this but I'm not 100% if the coach is still in place. Obviously not cheap to do but if clubs could pool together this is something that could easily be achieved. Maybe the CB would be a lot more supportive to provide assistance if a proper plan was presented to them and realise they will see the benefit of it and also the saving associated with such a plan. For example they may provide a % of any salary.

Cusack made some excellent points but just because the likes of Seanie McGrath, Landers, Cadogan etc don't necessarily agree with them or don't want to discuss them openly doesn't mean they don't care any less about Cork GAA. some of the comments against such figures on various boards have been in poor taste. As much as I'm big fan of Cusack, he can also be a loose cannon who most definitely is confrontational and this is not the best way to get things done. The way he continued to mentioned 'monument' as a reference to Frank is not how it should be done and does himself or Cork GAA no favours, however the point of his argument is certainly very relevant.

One last thing, the football people in the County didn't decide to wait for the CB to help them and worked away to improve standards throughout the county in the past 10 years or so, the hurling people need to stand up now, whether that's by confronting the CB, getting more involved, using their influence to get sponsorship etc....it will all help the cause in the long term

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

He won an all ireland with cork in 05,a team o grady built

Why did O'Grady step down after winning the AI?

• Advertisement

He always said it was just a two year term,any gaa fan in cork knows that,like limerick in 2010 just one year and once he commits to a time frame he doesnt change hes mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

He always said it was just a two year term,any gaa fan in cork knows that,like limerick in 2010 just one year and once he commits to a time frame he doesnt change hes mind.

Could never understand why he stood down given how good Cork were at the time. He must've been tempted to stay on regardless of a previously stated term. Most top line coaches are involved with a team. In O'Grady's case he's just won an AI. It's the pinnacle of his coaching career with a very good chance of repeating the achievement again next year. Hard to fathom.

Its not really,it certaintly wasnt for fear of a challenge,he wouldnt taken over cork ,limerick post strikes rebuilt teams,or offered take over inteirm post gerald mccarthy shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭rughug

citykat wrote: »
    Why did O'Grady step down after winning the AI?

<SNIP>

Rughug - have a read of the GAA charter and don't post crap like that here again.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭rughug

rughug wrote: »
    <SNIP>

Rughug - have a read of the GAA charter and don't post crap like that here again.

Sorry. What part dont you understand or accept re that manager. I think i am only stating the facts.

On your week off have a good read of the GAA Charter and after that you might also want to consult a dictionary too - after looking up "defamation" then try "fact".

• Advertisement

Rebel s ,valid points,great point with the football.

Nobody questions.mcgrath,landers,cadogans love of the game.
    Im a huge fan of landers,only point I disagreed with landers,was  he said cusacks timing was wrong

Cadogan played no championship.hurling all this year practially ,so dualism failed.
    Mcgrath I said before now,was never a shrewd selector,he was pretty poor at minor,fine in media role for county board,in like the other night,he point blank refused to answer the hard ,hard questions but had a dig at cusack, .

Seanie wants to be everbodys friend type,wont rock boats,though.

What I find mildly interesting is the neither here no day stance of paudie palmer a , tonight regards cusack in the papers he disagree with cusacks timing, also he refers to the water in to wine remark wrongly insunating it was like babs remarks,donkies dont win derbies.
    And paudie says he agree with some of cusack points but not quite telling us what they are.

I kind of ,just my opinion of course got a sense of running with the hare chasing with the hound scenario from paudie .Like what do you agree with.,as he just told us what he did not agree with.

.The last part of hes article is at the end,he says lets talk about real gaa,the club championship,it is like
    move along ,dont focus on sunday or the problems we have.If it happened in kerry football,it would be on every paper in.kerry,kerry radio non stop,no wonder why such a great footballing county won so many all irelands.

Also pauide says the pairc must be developed,and shouldnt be used as a stick to beat the county board with.
    Cusack never said cork doesnt need a new staduim,he questioned the myth of a centre of excellence,and the 67m or 70m,know ones knows the true cost.The public spin doctoring just like the last strike is still around imo

I find it interesting.john horgan questions a proven harty cup all ireland school winning and minor manager,u 17 all ireland winning manager for not playing a forward that got four goals,three points in a premier minor game,yet the cork minors beaten by just two points in limerick,to me the current all irekand likey champions ,down two key men after twenty minutes, had nine lads playing senior ,intermediate club games within days of the game,had no test bar kerry,yet it was a superb performance,yet he questions the current minor hurling management or development squads for allowing that lad slip through the net.Hes clearly having a snipe imo at the minor hurling managemenet,as irrespective of development squads ,managers pick players ,the resposibilty lies with them at the end of the day.

Now if your going to question that,please question why pa callaghan didnt play u 21 under a manager with just two wins in underage the last three years,failed to add kevin o keoffe to the subs,played colm barry at full back,didnt start mark sugrue,and got embarrased at u 21 by clare,yet he acknowledges that defeat was totally unacceptable.

Of course while he is a good reporter imo he has complete  club bias when juding any of hes club players imo,had to mention lawton ,just a sub role three times in a report of the all ireland intermediate hurling final,but couldnt even mention colm barry inspirotinal display at half back in name.You would swear lawton changed the course of the game single handely,he done good,but certainly didnt change the game,colm spillane going to centre back did.Now thats not me just saying it.now,i said the same thing two weeks ago.
    I have nothing against,castlematy let me add.

Also at least  question why pat kenneally didnt play sean hayes last year,and numerous others were playerd out of position at minor last year,particulary conor twomey and playing killan connor centre back.
    Also at least question why colm  barry exposed at full back at minor ,and despite.the Magnifying,utter complete breathtaking,extradionary sublime four awesome saves by patrick collins,the deficenaces as i said after that match in the full back line were not rectifed,why alan dennehy or spillane wasnt put in at full back and barry moved out to centre back espiceally in the absence of Cormac murphy

Why dont horgan watch the tg4 interview ,still on tg4 i think where the clare manager clearly says ,we ecpect corks michael collins to play a sweeper but more importantly we know cork on puckouts will aim ball after ball on puckouts down on corks no 10 namely shane o keoffe,so
    why dont he questions corks predictabilty and lack of a game plan something no one could say of the minor hurlers

Why o why is one management team critised  specfially for not playing a guy but a blind eye is turned to the one very team the 21 team that cusack criticsed after an Embarrasement,in ennis,bar saying it was unnacceptable but failed to directly question its management and ommision of better players imo.
    This line.then,im not sure if the minor player should or should not have been involved.
    Why mention him then.As for the unnamed player,i know the lad he means ,very good player but forwards wasnt the reason we lost.

Brillant article by cusack in todays examiner on the issue again.
    And he put it perfectly,hed shake frank and bobs hand in the morning its nothing personal,just solve cork gaa problems.
    Like many in cork gaa ,its nothing personal,we criticise them purely in their roles of cork gaa.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/columnists/donal-og-cusack/donal-og-cusack-cork-in-need-of-a-culture-shock-283150.html

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Smith614

I was very disappointed with the skill level of the Cork minor hurlers this yr V Limerick, we could have won the match but in reality I thought we were miles off Limerick hurling wise. Fair play to the lads they battled well even after losing 2 players to injury in forst 15 mins. Landers and Ring will get the results tho if the talent is available to them.

I geuinely thought cork had great skill
    Kingston goal,was pure reflexes.and hurling instinct,lees goal was a belter ,collins made two super saves,hayes plucked ball after ba from the sky,o callghan was superb at centre back,looney a superb point,kingston great points,it wasnt skill as the problem
    It was cork ist game as kerry wasnt a test,so the tenacity and pace took us a while to reach.

limerick minors prepare like a senior intercouny team in prepartion,so Cork had a huge ask to beat them,as limerick have real,real talented hurlers on the team also.
    This was no ordinary minor team that beat Cork,they are a brillant team but at least cork gave them a game.

http://www.eveningecho.ie/2014/08/22/coaching-officer-insists-groundwork-done-rebels-future/

Some valid points but some points i seriously question.
    Ill adress them later.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

The biggest issue I'd have with that article is the fact this has only really started in the last 12 months, they have made a start, but the blueprint that was previously there for underage development in the overall development plan was ignored and targets not hit, will this "blueprint" fall the same way?

It highlights pockets of good work, nothing in Avondhu surprising given the games manager is from Avondhu, GDAs getting on on their own initiative, which reflects badly on certain divisions GDAs

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭sean mac

Seandún is the next area where we need a five-year plan which all the clubs will buy into. Obviously Blackrock have been thriving lately, and only a few months ago St Finbarr’s launched a plan to raise their standards, but we’re aware of the need to get the city division working in unison.'

You see Brendan this is the PROBLEM right here - 2014 and we are now talking about a plan for the CITY with the biggest population, that is absolutely incredible and an indictment of what is going on or more importantly NOT going on.
    This highlights that odriscoll as the senior executive member in charge of coaching and development is not aware or doesn't believe there is a fundamental issue with gaa in general but hurling in particular in the city.
    Don't want to be ignorant to other divisions, but I would have thought the city with its suburbs and huge population and throw in the specific towns of carrigaline, ballincollig and glanmire would have been the first areas addressed with some sort of plan?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,880 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

SARS were ordinary in the extreme today winning 0-14 v 0-11 , 7 each at ht.
    Barr's beat Erin's Own 3-12 v 1-09 , 2-2 v 0-05 at ht. Bars played very well indeed.
    Killeagh beat Courceys tonight in Glanmire by 5 points and I think that means Courceys are relegated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Bishopstown v The Glen sounds a bit dramatic. The Glen coasting to a win but a few sent off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

The Glen bt Bishopstown 2-16 to 1-08 in a bad tempered game. Hoggie & one of the O' Driscolls sent off for a clash involving face-guard pulling early on. Bishopstown seemed to pick Hoggie out for special attention from the off. Bishopstown were down to 13 shortly after for 2 yellows.

Hoggie will obviously be a loss in the next round.

Cloyne beat Bandon by 7 pts in Premier Intermediate Championship - Sully among the goals.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Hoggie was targeted and reacted from what I heard - Lynam went to the stands as well for it.

• Advertisement

Fair play to youghal,senior status retained for next year,makes barrs look awful nearly relegated last year when you compare both clubs rescources,one club that imo really  believed in the mushroom theory after years of neglect,however at last they are turning it slowly around,cremin is a good coach.A fine win today for them,and good for cork hurling but they have a load,load of work still to do,but at least they took steps this year and learned from last years wake up call.

Na piarsigh won,should be an epic quater final,in mallow i presume,went to a replay the last time they met.
    Newtown had a great win u 21 last night in avondu semi,beating holders and huge favourites mallow.
    Twomey, tim o.mahony,coughlan, are all fine players coming through.
    O mahony played harty cup this year charville,eligble next year and minor for cork,can play centre back,centre forward or full ,he is strong,lots of hurling,played senior the other night,has a huge future ,and reminds me of former club man mike morrisey,would have made for cork bar a horrendus injury in a league game in wexford.
    Cormac murphy was outstanding,as was sean hayes a goal and three from play.
    Hayes is some astounding talent.
    Should be startiing for the U21,team next year.,and the cork intermediates.

The glen v bishoptown tonight.
    The glen had a great win,delighted for them ,wasnt at it but heard on
    Radio ,was trouble at it,horgan got sent off,hes.out for the ballmartle game,a hughe loss you would.say,but having said that horgan has gone at times in club games not performed,so it look like the glen did better when they didnt rely on him tonight,every one put a shoulder to the wheel.

The glen have super young talent,a lot of lads out of minor,glen kennfick,dooling,evan o connell,and shane milner who is injured.
    There a coming team in the future.

A superb game  on next wednesday the final  in the u 21 na piarsaigh v Rockies,i hope na piarsaigh win,the week it is ,i.love them as john gardiner coaches them.
    That should be a cracker with the two o.keoffes,alan o callaghan,stephen murphy,gunning,darragh o connell and dayne lee both who played senior last night,this will be epic imo,worth any entrance fee.

Douglas and midelton next week on in the senior should be a classic with douglas having a real chance ,but the winners play youghal and they would fancy there chances.
    Padraig gould got five from play for na piarsaigh ,apparently had a blinder imo if injury free shod be looked at by cork next year.

On another note,word on the street is jbm will stay but if true sad news as the panel could be without a key player next year who could be leaving .
    Before people add two and two and get a hundred,its not player unrest or any issuses,its players own choice due to personal commitments and while a player of hes talents will always be missed, if it is true we have cover.

Ballclough play the county junior b final in hurling tommorrow they have never won it,i hope they do as colm o.neill is full forward .If he gets say,unlikey three goals.,he still wont be thank god dual player next year as apparently he will stick with one code.They should have paul o flynn,mark hefferan two key players also with them.
    Best of luck to cork u 16 goalie ,kanturk tommorrow in the rearranged all ireland u 16 poc fada.

The camoige team  ,have a realistic chance of all ireland glory after drawing with wexford,who are a fine team.

Great results in kerry and monaghan beaten in the ladies football today bar dublin,cork imo no body will beat them.
    Again underage success showed you reap what you sow,galway winming the minor all ireland weeks ago clearly gave them the belief to beat favourites monaghan ,when nicola ward ,player of the match,minor game v cork,outstanding today and also the other minor divilly.

No suprise dublin won ,delighted they beat kerry saw dublin weeks ago train ul,superb to watch.I feel cork are ahead of them though.
    Brian cuthbhert could learn a lot from the game,in how even on a beaten team,breen kerry midfielder done what none of hes candiadates he had in league could do was win ball,but it was a.joy to see breen always linking up forward and defence with simple accurate kickpassing.

It also showed how corner back play is vital,and Ruddy dublin imo.gave one of the finest exhibitions.of good defending i have seen in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

Are the glen still on probation after the whole Bride Rovers craic? They'll be in hot water tonight by the sounds of it if they are. Some of the photos didnt look pleasant. 2 men sent off after as well from yellows pertaining to the Hoggie/Colm O'Driscoll shamozzle

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Connorzee wrote: »
    Are the glen still on probation after the whole Bride Rovers craic? They'll be in hot water tonight by the sounds of it if they are. Some of the photos didnt look pleasant. 2 men sent off after as well from yellows pertaining to the Hoggie/Colm O'Driscoll shamozzle

Hoggie has enough on his plate now then getting involved in smozzles, he was a disgrace against Tipp last Sunday. I said it here before he needs to get his head together and get back to where he was in 2013. A super talented hurler who on his day can be unstoppable.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ballbag05

Hoggie was clearly singled out by Btown, Driscoll pulled his helmet off and threw his head in hoggies face and he reacted by doing same
    Mcallister took an age to sort and another scrap started out the field in meantime, as Driscoll was coming off field a"mentor" from Btown clapped his back and shook his hand in front of stand and this lead to Lynam shoving the oul fart mentor over and this lead to an all out brawl, we're Lynam got a kickin from the Btown bench, All in at this stage, Cathal left them at it, Both clubs should be fined and reprimanded, Felt sorry for Hoggie tho,

ballbag05 wrote: »
    Hoggie was clearly singled out by Btown, Driscoll pulled his helmet off and threw his head in hoggies face and he reacted by doing same
    Mcallister took an age to sort and another scrap started out the field in meantime, as Driscoll was coming off field a"mentor" from Btown clapped his back and shook his hand in front of stand and this lead to Lynam shoving the oul fart mentor over and this lead to an all out brawl, we're Lynam got a kickin from the Btown bench, All in at this stage, Cathal left them at it, Both clubs should be fined and reprimanded, Felt sorry for Hoggie tho,

Who played well?
    Mcdoonnell,moylan,o neill,cronin,lester,kennefick,doolin???etc

http://www.gaacork.ie/news/331947/Cork_County_Championships_2014_Update

Some great games coming up.

Midelton or douglas is a hard  game to call

I can't wait for the barrs sarsfields in either two powerful men from the inside out ,tough full backs.not.just Nice hurlers,but pure full backseoin keane or cahalane will be marking cussen,a real test for cussen.
    Lets hope ian maguire doesnt out play daniel kearney in midfield,he could be seen as a dual player.

Derek daly in tonights echo said what I said all week why was cahalane played at wing back,joyce at corner back last week and cork got the defensive match ups last week wrong and said why cahalane who was  brought in to play full  back at the start of the season played wing is a mystery he isnt a wing  back at interounty level.

Newtown v na piarsaigh,are two well coached teams,by guniheen and ryan,and this could be a great game.
    They met in 2012 ,went to replay,na piarsaigh winning 1-15 to 1-11.
    That newtown team was a tired old team,and with ,pat mulchay full back ben o.connor centre back,jerry centre foward,an old midfield ,as great as those four were club men and indeed three of them were intercounty stars,they had a lot of mileage in the legs.
      That for reasons outside the playing field was to be unfortunately ben and jerrys last championship game for the club at senior,they played junior last year.,the last game in championship at any level for the club  before they retired,was the shock defeat to kilbrin in  buttevant in a game they in the second half were well in control up by seven at one point,but lost to a willam egan inspired late great comeback by Kilbrin.
    Two wonderful hurlers for both club and county ben and jerry were.

That replay v na piarsaigh in 2012,naughton looked tired and in the drawn game and that was subbed.
    That day he played corner forward, which doesnt suit him.
    Naughton seems fresher uninhibted by inter county demands now,having a fine season and back at midfield with pj  copse he has added real life and energy and zest in to a partnership that in 2009 county final was brillant getting between them,a goal and five from play destroying a midfield of quailty in it had 1997,u 21 all ireland final man of the match,current sars manager,pat ryan and willam kearney who got called up the recent cork panel.
    Copse got some goal inside hes own half that day,naughton four awesome points.Daniel kearney played for sarsfields that day also.

From that county final win,biggane,mahony,glesson,copse,naughton,clifford,michael bowles,jamie coughlan just 17,a goal and a point,jp king was a sub.jack herihly was sub, but for injury would have started

Coughlan,clifford,herihly,even naughton,have been around for ages but still very young,in particular,clifford,coughlan,herihly and all four at different levels played for cork.

But they have that expierence with A fresh energy under former hero liam ryan but as he coached meelin to,Cork County Munster Cub and an.All ireland County Junior title in 2011 beating a kilkenny team in the final playing newtown style a real belief under him for the future and conor twomey a cork minor,tim o mahony who is current u 17 cork player and minor next year have freshened up the team.Again a classic example of good coachimg bears wholesome fruition at all levels.Unlike last year under the guidance of ger o loughlin the sparrow there playing old style newtown hurling suited to the modern game,where there strengths are pace ,intelligent posseison emphaised hurling,based on a super touch and awesome fitness levels.
    Very much becoming a force of old in the near future.Outstanding work going on at underage at the club.

The team that played now to in 2012 v Na Piarsaigh has briggane,mahony,fallon,ryan,copse,naughton,cliiford,michael bowles and coughlan and  from it,with jack herihly and jp king both subs.
    But the full back is stronger with fallon at full back,glesson the ballinich tipp man,twomey,and herihly strengthing half  back,copse naughton midfied,coughlan at centre forward with clifford in the half forward line making it a much better line than two years ago with bowles and o mahony inside with king,but king a roaming rolw,this is a much better balanced and stronger side than in 2012.

In fact na piarsaigh with halpin,gardiner,mannix,mcgregor ,great players,patriculary at half back it lacks pace,and coughlan,clifford on a dry day with low fast ball could trouble them.
    From 2012,they have,mannix,joyce,gardiner,sean og,mcgregor,dennehy,the buckleys,o rourke gould ,moyinhan etc involved.
    They have notably added current minor star dayne lee,excellent v limerick,eddie gunning also on the panel,young fine keeper darragh o connell.

Rourke,gould,lee if he plays half forward are potent but this newtown half back line is young ,fast, and herihly is becoming a real leader.
    If as in 2012,joyce played at midfied,naughton will exploit him for real pace like an older jerry o connor did where he would be better at half back on clifford who got four points in the 2009 County final,then 3 points the other night .

A close game to call but ,the ucc win should bring newtown on hugely,playing in mallow suits them,the real unity under liam ryan and club ethos and spirit,the  defeat to na piarsaigh in 2012 in mallow,again last year in the red fm league on a cold thursday winter night ,in mallow,that na piarsaigh went on to win will drive them on,if its a dry day,id fancy them just to edge it,and set up a repeat of that 2009 county final meeting with sarsfields,who both teams would relish meeting and certainly beatable as Sarsfields are an ageging team,with a lot of mileage on the clock and imo not the powerful force they once were in their prime.Newtown may be better suited to sarsfields ,as they have real pace,width in they use the full length of the ptich and Pairc ui caoimh be ideal for them,they have creativity whereas na piarsaigh more direct,forceful,orthdox game would suit them.Id say sarsfields will beat st finbarrs.

Well done kerry,never have i been truly delighted,for kerry drawing  as i was today as this was a truly great result for Cork football,as it crumbles the straws  of comfort some fans not all and the board imo would cling to if mayo won ,as they would ,wrongly assume we were close to mayo  ,a classic
    example of desparation leading to desparate measures imo

I always rated fitzmurice ,cian o neill and said they had a  great chance of winning as with limited rescources as brolly and o.rourke said ,and despite being dominated at u 21 by cork this team with the same core group of players goes to another level,cork at.senior stay static,go backwards,as kerry have shrewd management,identify the key basics of modern day football in have two midfielders that can win ball in maher,moran,plus buckley as a third midfielder,they have a plan a and b worked and developed over six months not  two weeks,then they introduce young debutants like geaney but unlike cork in a controlled enviroment ,with a defined purpose and a real belief ,and they forced mayo to kick  at distance something they cant do ,which in ultimately why a limited kerry will do always better than   the current crop of golden talent in cork football,simply they have better management.

This was superb imo for cork football as whatever happens in the replay,as it shows how much of a shambles the current senior set up is,will become much worse,as were miles of kerry at management ,all we need is somebody with the boldness.and honesty to call a spade a spade,as like that extract i posted from liam griffin,management is they key for.any team,and even before keegan got sent off,kerry dominated the opening 33 minutes.This is not a great kerry team yet played us of the park,mayo,bar o.connor had no forwards to put us away,when dominating possesion.

Mayo had no forwards,horan done the best he could do with this team with 14 men,cork had forwards as good as the kerry team today but unlike kerry couldnt get primary possession to score.
    If had cork john cleary,fitzmairice or Horan we would win at least one all ireland as we have forwards mayo dont have,and pace and a better panel than kerry.

I always said kerry could beat mayo.An ageging kerry dravwing with mayo five points down,mayo having due a man down,put 12 men behind the ball for the last ten  done what cork couldnt do.
    Kerry will beat Mayo in limerick,as the gaelic grounds is a tight ptich,suit kerry lack of pace .

And i said they would win the minor with the great jack o connor in charge ,the cork team could beaten them if we had astute management as we certainly had the players to do so.
    Jack i heard could be in the future be u 21 manager,and then and only when will they break corks dominance at the u 21 grade.

Just heard st finbarrs manager john cremin give a great interview.Typical,the interviewer in hes interview tried to dismiss huge problems in city hurling,by saying this year,a lot of the city clubs are in the knockout stages painting a happy picture imo,despite the talk that is valid, that city hurling is in trouble but,cremin gave a great answer in he said the city clubs due to the lack help at schools,had to do a lot of great work themselves and despite barrs win,there not back yet but have lots of work still to do before you can say there back.Such admirable truth and honesty in cremins interview.

In the sunday timed denis walsh the writer backed what cusack said  cork hurling needs underage success.,or as he said they ",cant keep on producing minor teams that come up short and hope to get away with it indefinetly and said in 2000 when kilkenny lost the leinster minor final,ending ten in a row wins they were so spooked the board wrote to 50 former players and enlisted their help in establishing developments squads,they were not hanging around to see if the 2000 minors were just an aberration.
    He said last year the cork senior team going well was like a morphine drip,the pain was being managed.

In the same paper,eddie brennan a great anaylst said The Rebels were a ramshsackle and also correctly said cork set up was all wrong from the start ,the forward line had no definition to it,and the defensive set up was also wrong and hes right Cork have only themselves to blame.

O donovan rosssa beat douglas in football,ballyclough and dromatriffe drew in the county b junior title while castlelyons won the football equivalent ,the great timmy macarthy ,spillanes winning a medal.
    Denis ring ,fermoy qualifed for the next round of the intermediate hurling.

Eammon sweeney gave a great piece today in the sunday indepenent told cork some home truths.He said cuthbhert should go.

http://m.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/hold-the-back-page-its-time-to-start-playing-fair-30531511.html
    its halfway down the page.

The national papers telling us some harsh facts.Rembember if cusack said nothing last week there wouldnt be a word.Cusack already made a difference.Cusack a legend on and off the field.Thank you so so much Cusack.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭dring

Kerry and Mayo have shown that having the right manager in charge is paramount for getting the best out of any group of players, so all the coaching in the world wont make any difference if the best people are not chosen to be intercounty managers (because they are seen by the CCB as troublesome/demanding /independent). Cuthbert got the nod over Cleary partly because Cleary said he wouldn´t allow dual players. This is has been a pattern with the CCB for years. Other counties dont get it right all the time either and in some the same type of politics happens. Clare didnt want to give the senior team to Loughnane and of course Limerick had some capers.

This is the Kerry team that were beaten 2-24 to 0-8 in the U21 munster final- that may have been a freak result on a night when everything went right for us but 8/9 of that kerry team have now played in an All Ireland senior semi-final- that´s what you get with good managment

KERRY: B Kelly; P Crowley, M Griffin, D O’Leary; J Sherwood, B Shanahan, J Lyne; T Ladden, E Walsh; J O’Donoghue, BJ Keane, A Fitzgerald; S O’Brien, P Geaney, D Casey.

Linda mellerick said on the sunday game,rena buckley,angela walsh,briege cork have a huge ask with dualism  as the draw in yhe camoige with wexford means with the ladies also in a semi final in football it puts you pressure on cork.
    Dublin play galway in football who cork footballers play armagh
    What are they like in ladies football?

• Advertisement

It will mean them playing on consecutive weekends - replay next Saturday, football game the following weekend, and possible camogie All Ireland final the weekend after. For players who have had to play two games on the same weekends, its much better

I'd be wary of Armagh, improved a lot since last year - remember watching the QF final from last year between Cork and Armagh after we were hammered by Cavan in the qualifier, and it took Juliet Murphy coming back from retirement to win the game. Armagh beat a good Monaghan team, who were missing a few in the Ulster final. Will be a cracking game - disappointed O Leary didn't put that free over, know she can hit them alright.

That KK team is superb, will be hard to stop in the final no matter who they are playing

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement