Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/city-rivals-set-to-face-wrath-of-board-283389.html

Both the Glen and bishoptown down the years have huge power in Cork gaa at board level down the years,very interesting to see what happens now.

Imo,both will probably issue apoliges,pleading guilty so to speak for leniacy like what happened in 2010.
    Both will get fines ,id expect ,but like in 2010 bride v glen, i cant imagine the glen been thrown out of the championship.
    Glen and bride were thrown out of the championship both reinsated,glen got to the county final as the fines were increased.
    Imo it would be unfair to throw the glen out now,as bishoptown are out,but at the same time,this must be stamped out as thats the 3rd such scenario ,barrs v haven in football had a similar type of scenario a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Blue Magic

Bob Honohan's undying loyalty to Frank will come in handy for B'town

http://www.eveningecho.ie/2014/08/27/hurley-recovery-haven-sent/

Great news.
    If true some sad news for cork hurling on the way soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭ozymandias10

http://www.eveningecho.ie/2014/08/27/hurley-recovery-haven-sent/

Great news.
    If true some sad news for cork hurling on the way soon.

what do you mean by this

• Advertisement

One current cork hurler,purely for personal commitments,players own choice ,nothing else,like no falling outs etc,wont IF True be playing any hurling next year.
    Time will tell if its true,its meant to.be.
    Players choice got to be respected.

if a guy doesn't want to play he doesn't want to play and as you say it must be respected.

never thought I would see this with a cork hurler though...things are not good
    playing for your county is what defines you as a hurler

http://www.rebelog.ie/news/333397/Rebel_Og_Academy_information

Cork U15 Hurling Mentors

Ger Cunningham (St. Finbarr's); Noel Furlong (Carrigtwohill); John McCarthy (Clonakilty); Barra O Tuama (Castlemartyr); Declan Fitzgerald (Buttevant); Ivan O'Mahony (St. Finbarr's); Jim McEvoy (UCC); Niall Kidney (Carrigtwohill)
    Execellent set up with Ger and jim with ucc,cork senior teams in past,now with fitzgibbon cup team
    Noel furlong current,great warrior with carrightwoill won a senior county in 2011.
    O tuama all ireland intermediate winner with cork this year
    Fitzgearld and o.mahony are good hurling men.

Ger collins the u 15 keeper,brother of patrick and michael,is a fine keeper.
    U 16,u17 squads very strong as is the u 14 squad with good coaches in duhallow jim o sullivan,sesöan og halpin,current barrs manager john cremin,Highely rated trainer donal burke,and colm crowley of killeagh.
    Conor russell injured,is a huge loss to the team.He has huge potential.

In u 17 ,john looney,declan dalton billy dunne,and blarne mark coleman,superb at u 21 blarney currently are key players.Chris o.leary,awesome centre back for hamilton in.harty cup and at intermediate this year for valley rovers.

John looney ,a goal and three in the dean ryan u 16 half schools final v ard scoil,also a super goal in semifinal in claughan v athenry,played harty cup starred for aghada in the intermediate with 3 points from play,is ,i said it here many times a star for the future.
    Eligble for harty cup and cork minors 2015,he is eligble  for cork u 17 hurlers in defence of their crown in the coming weeks,as i think he did not play more than twenty or so minutes at minor which means he is eligble for that competion.In the minor game v limerick he came on as a late sub,and got a fantasic point.

The u 16 with tipp,a very strong laois that beat cork at u 15 and kilkenny have a tough group but with the rock in charge have some team
    Kenneally kanturk,some keeper,
    Niall barry murphy is a fine hurler.
    At half back some unit,ronan harringtinõn what a talent,niall o.leary superb in.three games i saw him and garvey is excellent.

O donoughe is a good midfielder or half forward he cant start as burke is so good but we have a real real,future star,Jeremy saich,of kilworth,i mentioned him in May.

Hes got wonderful balance feet,hurling,agility,has a dancing background so very rhymtic movement,very strong,super player.
    Daniel gunning,josh beausang 8 points from play v ard scoil dean ryan cup final,tristan o leary,mcdonnell dean ryan winner with midelton ,make up a potent forward line,with cashman at such.a young age a real ball winning forward at such a young age

When darragh guiney,jack o connor and shane.o driscoll outstanding in sars u 16 county win cant start,it shows the real strength in the panel.
    Even the b panel is very strong,looney,cathal martin outstanding in the dean ryan cup team,Shine,Full back paddy glesson in the subs,Killlan tracey dean ryan cup winner,are all very good prospects.

No one is at fault or to blame if the current player Senior Cork Hurler goes,purely commitment reasons,in fact immense credit to jbm aura and credibility he persuaded him last year to play this year.
    Reasons are purely,soley ones that happen in life.Its not he doesnt want to just has naturally other priorties that he must give time to.Quite understandable.
    Morale in the camp is very good.,no problems at all geuinely even after the tipp game.

http://www.rebelog.ie/news/333397/Rebel_Og_Academy_information

Reasons are purely,soley ones that happen in life.Its not he doesnt want to just has naturally other priorties that he must give time to.Quite understandable.
    Morale in the camp is very good.,no problems at all geuinely even after the tipp game

I didnt mean my post to hint that there were problems with senior set up as I believe JBM has done a sterling job. I meant its not good the way it can be viewed externally.

We live in a tough society and people are dealing with different pressures and issues from day to day, At the end of the day hurling is a sport...

http://mallowgaa.com/index.php/2014/08/27/eugene-carey-memorial-tournament/

Cork bidding retain the crown,linerick with noel hartigan,jerry wallis ovrerseeing underage are strong ,and they won u 17 tournament in wexford,woudnt be suprised they got to a final.

Totally agree ozy10,well said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

if a guy doesn't want to play he doesn't want to play and as you say it must be respected.

never thought I would see this with a cork hurler though...things are not good
    playing for your county is what defines you as a hurler

its not what defines you as a person though so if he has better/more important things to do, its no one elses business.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 havent got a kalou

On the rebel og website is that the starting 15 for all ages

Deco99 wrote: »
    its not what defines you as a person though so if he has better/more important things to do, its no one elses business.

i agree I worded my post poorly. What I meant was years ago being a cork hurler took away the normal pressures from people. they were looked after with work etc. Society has changed and now being an intercounty player doesn't guarantee you a job that would free you up for the time that is needed to commit fully and ease the pressure. in fact now I think the pressure is huge on players as the focus from the media which allows intrusions into their personal lives etc. Even chat forums like this cause problems with the way people slate players. All this partnered now with the hassle and pressure of everyday life .

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/bishopstown-and-glen-rovers-called-to-explain-mass-brawl-283904.html

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/hurling/okeeffe-awesome-as-rockies-secure-title-in-style-283915.html
    Unfortunately didnt make the game but it looked like blackrock finally copped on by playing kevin o keoffe as a full forward not a midfielder.Hard to belive kevin o keoffe and niall cashman couldnt start for the cork u 21 team,i said it even in june.Baffling ,absoultely baffling.

Hard luck to john gardiner and na piarsaigh in hes ist year.
    Blackrock have some great talent coming up,i have huge doubts with their senior management though.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/bishopstown-and-glen-rovers-called-to-explain-mass-brawl-283904.html

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/hurling/okeeffe-awesome-as-rockies-secure-title-in-style-283915.html
    Unfortunately didnt make the game but it looked like blackrock finally copped on by playing kevin o keoffe as a full forward not a midfielder.Hard to belive kevin o keoffe and niall cashman couldnt start for the cork u 21 team,i said it even in june.Baffling ,absoultely baffling.

Hard luck to john gardiner and na piarsaigh in hes ist year.
    Blackrock have some great talent coming up,i have huge doubts with their senior management though.

I agree Fergal Ryan I think is the coach to the U21 team maybe he should be given a chance with the senior team ?

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

Rebel1977 wrote: »
    I agree Fergal Ryan I think is the coach to the U21 team maybe he should be given a chance with the senior team ?

He has no interest due to work commitments apparently!

Fergal would be good,he was involved with cork underage squads also,people often mistake him for hes name sake from mallow with cork u 17,fergal ryan.

Id love see sherlock in their also
    I thought ryan interview was brillant in the echo,such truth and honesty,said.they won four city u 21 in a row,the youngters are key ,but the senior defeat to ballymartle wasnt good enough.and rather than do a cork county.board on.it.he said they at senior.made no real progress this year,see they way he didnt say oh we beat na piarsaigh earlier.,job done lets have a party at senior.

He knows and demands blackrock senior hurling is judged on county medals.He said the nucleus of a good senior team is their talent wise.If they dont win a senior imo in five years its simply poor management.
    Not any of this cork nonense minor success or underage doesnt translate to senior,like Corks reb og march shheehan gave the same old county board myth ,winning.u.14,16 for cork as they done is not a guarantee for minor and we are doing great work maradyke,cit.,etc.,,,and the usal we have a plan.
    I hope that plan includes having competent managers at minor.,u 21 not always the case lets be truthful,as otherwise all the sports science ,training ,talent is wasted unless you have tactical,astute managers in charge of them.

He at least played Kevin.o.keoffe at 14,and they will beat muskerry winners next in a quater final,id expect them to make the final at least where they got to last year.
    Id expect newtown to win avondu,jc coughlan is a young talent ,excelling in junior also just a matter of time before he plays senior.

Blackrock with paul delaney,andrew and stephen murphy,eoin smith,niall cashman and kevin and shane.o.keoffe cork minor panelist,current.u.17.michael o.hallorhan ,and alan o.callaghan will be formiddable opponents for any team imo.

Figsy32 wrote: »
    He has no interest due to work commitments apparently!

May be so...but senior club isnt much different to u21 management wise in terms of committment.Also Ger Cunningham cited work commitments eariler in the year,but hes now coaching ucc ,and cork u 15.
    Liam ryan dropped away from newtown due to work etc.in the past,is back now though.
    So over time may change,certainly wouldnt rule him out in the futute at senior.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

Fergal would be good,he was involved with cork underage squads also,people often mistake him for hes name sake from mallow with cork u 17,fergal ryan.

Id love see sherlock in their also
    I thought ryan interview was brillant in the echo,such truth and honesty,said.they won four city u 21 in a row,the youngters are key ,but the senior defeat to ballymartle wasnt good enough.and rather than do a cork county.board on.it.he said they at senior.made no real progress this year,see they way he didnt say oh we beat na piarsaigh earlier.,job done lets have a party at senior.

He knows and demands blackrock senior hurling is judged on county medals.He said the nucleus of a good senior team is their talent wise.If they dont win a senior imo in five years its simply poor management.
    Not any of this cork nonense minor success or underage doesnt translate to senior,like Corks reb og march shheehan gave the same old county board myth ,winning.u.14,16 for cork as they done is not a guarantee for minor and we are doing great work maradyke,cit.,etc.,,,and the usal we have a plan.
    I hope that plan includes having competent managers at minor.,u 21 not always the case lets be truthful,as otherwise all the sports science ,training ,talent is wasted unless you have tactical,astute managers in charge of them.

He at least played Kevin.o.keoffe at 14,and they will beat muskerry winners next in a quater final,id expect them to make the final at least where they got to last year.
    Id expect newtown to win avondu,jc coughlan is a young talent ,excelling in junior also just a matter of time before he plays senior.

Blackrock with paul delaney,andrew and stephen murphy,eoin smith,niall cashman and kevin and shane.o.keoffe cork minor panelist,current.u.17.michael o.hallorhan ,and alan o.callaghan will be formiddable opponents for any team imo.

If Fergal took the job with Blackrock he should install his own backroom team and not have any of the current senior management, against Ballymartle they ended up playing a sweeper system while chasing the match. Agree with what Fergal has had to say 110%.

http://gaacork.ie/news/333807/Rebel_Og_Academy_Hurling_Tournaments_this_Weekend

The u 17 missing a lot of key players

Good to see buses and post meals for some teams.

However the u 15 and 16 footballers asked bring healthy lunches??surely cork could have catering company deliver them to their bus before they leave

Galway at least provide them with a meal after

The big suprises in u 17are Ian Cahill,playing with Cloyne in intermediate,and Brendan butty mccarthy captain of Mideltons dean ryan cup team are not involved.Must be a good reason,club tied or injury???why they are not involved.

The u 14 team is very strong ,but im suprised kitian oke, and Arthur Nangano ,midelton cbs Rice cup winners are not on the panel,both outstanding in a sun kissed charville against ard scoil in may in the Rice cup final at centre forward and full forward respectively.

I see the board calling for the support of the club draw for funding of the Pairc.Padraic duffy launched it last night.Unbelievable,not a word regards the football shambles,hurling shambles,u 21 shambles,no comment regards cusack,no open debate got the usal voices to make noise for them.,yet they want money now and a huge launch in ballincollig.

They said some funding goes towards underage ,yet we have a.low gdo count and some teams.have bring their own lunches tommorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

http://gaacork.ie/news/333807/Rebel_Og_Academy_Hurling_Tournaments_this_Weekend

The u 17 missing a lot of key players

Good to see buses and post meals for some teams.

However the u 15 and 16 footballers asked bring healthy lunches??surely cork could have catering company deliver them to their bus before they leave

Galway at least provide them with a meal after

The big suprises in u 17are Ian Cahill,playing with Cloyne in intermediate,and Brendan butty mccarthy captain of Mideltons dean ryan cup team are not involved.Must be a good reason,club tied or injury???why they are not involved.

The u 14 team is very strong ,but im suprised kitian oke, and Arthur Nangano ,midelton cbs Rice cup winners are not on the panel,both outstanding in a sun kissed charville against ard scoil in may in the Rice cup final at centre forward and full forward respectively.

I see the board calling for the support of the club draw for funding of the Pairc.Padraic duffy launched it last night.Unbelievable,not a word regards the football shambles,hurling shambles,u 21 shambles,no comment regards cusack,no open debate got the usal voices to make noise for them.,yet they want money now and a huge launch in ballincollig.

They said some funding goes towards underage ,yet we have a.low gdo count and some teams.have bring their own lunches tommorrow.

WTF? Bring your own lunch? Every player in KK no matter age/grade/gender is fed when playing for the county. That's the least that should be done.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

citykat wrote: »
    WTF? Bring your own lunch? Every player in KK no matter age/grade/gender is fed when playing for the county. That's the least that should be done.

Not surprising at all this is happening!

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭sean mac

citykat wrote: »

Citykat this is the first year where buses were provided for all players ffs, players usually had to make their own way. As for lunches - never provided outside of today, i.e. when you here mark Sheehan chairman of rebelog talking about our 'great' partnership with the mardyke arean don't forget players from adrigole, youghal, kanturk (and the majority of the squads are fromoutside the city) have to make their own way there and bring their own lunches every time they train etc
    This is the type of amateur hour set up they have, in addition the percentage of money from theclub draw to rebel og is so low they didn't even announce it at the club draw launch during the wekk because it is so embarrassing. We are way behind the curve, a few wins now today and watch the board hitting back at cusack next week in the echo claiming all right with the world

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Our U-16A's well beaten by Laois, out of the tournament. Doesn't bode well for the Minors next year.

Cork U15s flying it so far in the Munster Tournament. In Final in Ballygarvan vs Limerick. Just started a few mins ago...

How are U16s getting on with Sully in charge? Great to see...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

U-16s are gone BM, see above.

Are you posting on Bloodandbandage btw?

Orizio wrote: »

Nope. Set up a profile on it but haven't been in ages... Why so?

Our U-16A's well beaten by Laois, out of the tournament. Doesn't bode well for the Minors next year.

Jesus. That's pretty bad alright! No doubt there's great work being done in Laois to develop Hurling but we should be beating them handy with our pick, tradition of Hurling and "development" plans

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

u17 A&B contested the final in Mallow.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

When was that site set up - is rebelgaa gone?? edit - some very familiar usernames on there from rebelgaa :D:D

Cork under 16 ladies footballers retained their All Ireland title won last year beating Dublin 4-7 to 2-7 today

Camogie girls won handily enough 1-15 to 0-8 v Wexford today, so are looking to claim a first title since 2009. Senior footballers are out next weekend v Armagh with the prize on stake a final v Dublin!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement