Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Carbery Rangers vs Castlehaven ended in a 1-11 a piece draw in Clonakilty this evening.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Carbery Rangers vs Castlehaven ended in a 1-11 a piece draw in Clonakilty this evening.

And what was worse was Brian Hurley leaving there on crutches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

Plenty of entertainment at it and after.mark collins turned in a good hour.thought the decision to bring brian back on was hairbrained until I saw the rest of the half, if he is out they could be in big trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Blue Magic wrote: »
    Jesus. That's pretty bad alright! No doubt there's great work being done in Laois to develop Hurling but we should be beating them handy with our pick, tradition of Hurling and "development" plans

Fairly awful alright. But these tournaments are largely irrelevant, bar maybe U-16. I'm fairly sure we win the U-17 most years, and yet we are still awful at Minor the following year.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭seventh7

Orizio wrote: »
    Fairly awful alright. But these tournaments are largely irrelevant, bar maybe U-16. I'm fairly sure we win the U-17 most years, and yet we are still awful at Minor the following year.

The u16 selection was incredible. The panel has been dysfunctional since the tony foristal tournament two years ago. I saw games in both grades yesterday jumping between
    cappagh white and Golden. The As were simply out muscled against Laois could not compete in the vital areas. Hurling yes they have it, but teamwork and non existant. The Bs were not much better but If any one can explain to me how Killeaghs Killian Treacy and Na Parsaighs Killian Ahern are sitting on a Cork u16 b side I would like to hear it. Aherns physical presence was needed badly by cork yesterday both boys could not even make the panel of 25 A players, Something radically wrong here. I have said it continually here skill and stick work are admirable qualities allied to pace and power. The game has moved on. we need to get back in the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

U17s still wearing the old o2 jerseys as well... Different types of red and white jerseys as well. Are they that hard up for cash?

BwXH3X4IUAEWJW2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

http://gaacork.ie/news/333807/rebel_og_academy:success_in_this_weekend's_hurling_tournaments

A good weekend overall but the u 16  panel who on paper were extremely strong were dissapointing ,i am a huge fan of the rock.,but what seventh.said regards team work.,a plan etc is not good.I was in mallow ,so  i didnt make it but i would value Seventh assement from  hes expierence,as imo he has top knowlege of the underage hurling in cork

Im a big fan of Killian Aherne,even playing minior,id have started him.
    Orizo cork beaten by five points to laois is not well beaten in the scoreboard,according to seventh who unlike you  was actually there, he said it was phyiscality and poor managerial selections,was cork issue,not hurling talent, so for you to dismiss u.16.hurlers imo as Awful was a bit much,considering you just read the scoreline  ,then made an assumpton well before actually waiting to read a match report .U 16 are young lads developing the game not even minors or seniors etc

U 16 team has no huge relevance bar a few to next year minors despite your misguided view,in it will be made up of mainly u 17s and what is vitally important is who in 2016,is in charge of cork minors as they will have that core group.
    Year one for the rock ,so he needs to step it up next year with a munster u 15 a and b winning panel coming through next year  like any coach,if not performing after year two the rock must be questioned.Hes reputation as a player goes out the window.He is now being judged soley as a coach.

Seventh who played well for the u 16 and stood out please?

I was suprised the u 17 both teams done so well with a huge amount of injuries etc.
    To get both team in the final,was great but the final was a bit of a tame affair imo,two cork teams,no real bite but a draw a fair result.
    Mallow is a great host but the whites playing in the town park,reds in carrighdoun,means very hard to follow both,i watched the whites ,good wins over galway,tipp.
    Seanaid smyth,cashman,o connor,o.halloran and.moyinhan were very good.and looney,dunne,dalton,lenihan looked impressive for the reds.

Cork have won that  cup in 08,/09,10,12,13,14,kilkenny the only team to break corks dominance.
    The fundamental key ,i always say is.,the minor.managements are poor.,thats simply why we loose.
    This year we had superb management  at minor and we pushed limerick all the way.
    I have the old minor post in february,i done , must relink here again,as a lot what i said materliased with cork and limerick,a lot of what i said cusack mentioned,so it shows how corks hurling scenery hasnt changed much in the last six months and underage success is paramount to management.I truly believe cork will win the munster title next year and at the very least get to play in croke park.

U 14 had a good day,winning the b,u 15 with cunningham beat a hotly fancied limerick by a point,won the a and b cup,the u 17 both teams in the final ,so a good weekend overall.
    The Harty cup is starting in a few weeks.
    Watching donegal and dublin in minor football ,i cant help but feel dublin were there for cork to win if we picked the best team and watching donegal a very well coached team ,tactially good how at management we are miles of dublin,kerry,and donegal .
    I said after our game v dublin donegal could beat them.
    Kerry will win the all ireland now
    Donegal minors play a duplicate system of senior ,ours dont we dont even have a system.
    Donegal would have beaten us also .Interesting to hear how declan bonnar has coached them since u 16,winning along the way,again donegal winning wasnt by chance but a three year plan,and.beat tradition by getting to their ist ever final.

Saw the second half of mallow v ns piarsaigh,Same old mallow ,in hurling and football,flatter to decieve ,they expected to win ,but  they drew.
    Due to a lot of na piarsaigh lads hurling also,mallow might win next week,god help them against bantry though.
    People have mallow favourites to win the competion,imo they wont even come remotely close to it,despite the great talent they have.
    Douglas and midelton should be a cracker today,i cant wait,i think douglas have a real chance and i fancy them in a close game to win

Fair play to cork camoige ,a superb win.Have they any chance v Kilkenny?
    Cork could meet dublin in the ladies football,that would be a cracking final.

Connorzee ,your right cork underage got to wear old jerseys.Its a joke ,they will be playing minor next year and should have the new jersey but all money must go to the Monument so we have lads wearing old jerseys advertising O 2,yet Chill Insurance are now Cork GAA new sponsors.

I am delighted,kerry won yesterday congratualions to them , i get nö joy in saying it,but it dismisses corks rubbish we were close to mayo,but highlights how crucial an astute manager like fitzmaurice is ,how he was groomed under jack o connor,he is by choice not chance a good manager as a limited old,good not great kerry team,hes getting every last inch from them,he has only one marquee forward scoring wise in o donoghue who is truly brillant,he has a brillant midfield and cover,and with a weak defence that concedes three goals to the worst forwards in relation to the top four teams in the country,yet hes team unlike cork that have at hurley,o neill every bit as gööd as o donoughe,in cadogan and shields a better full back line,yet out  manager and sideline fail our team as unlike kerry we dont have a midfield.
    Our board  should look at the 2011,u 21 teams on both sides,and realise kerry improved,we didnt over couninhan and were worse again cuthbhert.
    All year ,i said i rated fitzmaurice and kerry as i said last sunday would win,as i believe in shrewd management.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/cracking-jack-167763.html

Interesting read in fitzmaurice was groomed under jack,a master and a student role present there.
    Take cork cuthbhert and mccarthy groomed by counihan hardly a master in gaa tactics,purely in gaa sense more like the blind leading the blind imo tactically wise.I once read the book
    Called the Managers,a gaelic football book about managers and tactics that changed gaelic football.
    Cuthbhert certainly will never fit that bill.Chapter 12 has a splendid title,Wise men learn from fools,and fools learn from wise men.The Cork set up has no Proven wise men however to teach each other.

Eammon macsweeney said it last sunday, cuthbhert must go, it wont happen,i say it now, he is guaranteed another term irrespective of results.Cork county board accept mediocity as cusack said.Not a whisper of them.,in the last week regards cusack.
    Mickey harte used Rick Pitno , the american  basketball coach,quote “ success is not a lucky break.It is not a divine right.It is not an accident of Birth.Success is a choice.

Cork county  board would do well to pin that quote up on every wall in pairc u chaoimh,look at it first thing on arriving and last thing on leaving the staduim.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/fitzmaurice-becoming-a-master-tactician-says-brolly-283731.html
    That was even before yesterday.

Id agree with brolly,fitzmaurice is good on tactics.People must wake up and see we have a boyscout in terms of a management selection.committee,kerry are miles ahead,and this concept cork will improve next year,there so bad,easy to improve,the problem is so will kerry.
    Jack o.connor,won u21,senior,likely to win a minor all ireland in 3 weeks,in three different decades,and also had club success,schools all irelands, is a shrewd manager,didnt rate fitzmaurice much as a player,had differences with him,but had no ego to use him as a selector and recogonised while didnt rate him as a player much,he obivously saw he had huge potential as a manager when kerry won the all ireland in 2009,and unlike cork,o connor differreniates and crucially understands a managers role and skilleset in comparison to a player are greatly different.
    That 2011 u21,game cork v kerry had a core of players from both teams involved now, fitzmaurice had kerry then,Crucially Cork dont have Cleary in charge at senior now yet fitzmaurice has evolved the players and developed them further since that nightmare defeat for kerry,our players development at senior since 2011 under both couninhan and now cuthbhert have not progressed to the next level at all at all,Fitzmaurice at senior have beaten cork in hes two games we met in championship,in hes ist season won a munster title,and got to an ireland semi final where they pushed the all ireland champions all the way with six minutes to go had led Dublin by a point but dubs got 2-2 then,so imo kerry under fitzmaurice irrespective of the final will continue to improve,but Cork Under Cuthbhert simply will not.Fitzmaurice before a ball was even thrown in when he became manager unlike cuthbhert who apppointed novices,He appointed a shrewd ,proven,exiperenced coach at the elite level in Cian O Neill.Darragh o se and weshie fogarty both said kerry had a glim fututure after the 2011 loss,to Dublin,no players coming through.Fitzmaurice has been central to Kerrys survival.

Mayo lost yesterday simply due to.forwards had just one so bad without him up front had to bring an injured player back on.Heres a.prime example you ,cant blame a manager.Horan done all he could or any other manager could do with them if he had colm.o.neill ,goulding,donnacha ,hurley mayo would win an all ireland.He simply.had other forwards in the Country.Cork have an abundance of forward talent,and more coming through.

http://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/cork-keep-ryan-young-on-fantastic-journey-28817640.html

Here is a prime prime example of an  old school  Great Cork coach,that won in 90s both hurling in football but had no ego to reinvent himself and do coaching courses,even though he had already a wealth of previous success unlike some in cork.
    The likes of him should be a selector on minor or senior teams, he could surely double up with the ladies roles imo.
    If you compare fitzmauruice ist year to cuthbhert  ist year,fitzmaurice ticked so many boxes,yet All we hear with cuthbhert,he needs time he is learning etc.
    Yesterdays kerry win was a huge wake up for cork senior football.
    In killarney next year imo,cork.havent a hope of winning down there,where better cork teams lost many games there in the past.

Castlehaven ,were lucky last night,but that game should bring them on ,i say they will win handy the next day.
    What happened brian hurley???

For the A team josh beausang played well, tried very hard got them back into the laois game with a goal with 5 mins to go. Laois went back down the field unchallenged and netted then 2 unanswered points killed off the game. Shane O Driscoll was excellent all day huge fight and determination not seen in too many on the field during the Laois game. He was valiant in the middle of the field but he ploughed a lone furrow. On the B side Kllian treacy and Killian Ahern were very good on a weak side. Combining brillianty on occasions but two can't beat 15 and that was the case all day. There is talent in Cork but I fear the Rock was influenced and did not make his own team selections perhaps he was just a figure head a token appointment, Could not O' Driscoll and Ahern been paired together in the middle of the field. What a novel idea that would be pace power and dogged determination as a platform with which to build upon. if there is intelligence at work here its was very hard to see it, it appears direction less and aimless.

Castlehaven ,were lucky last night,but that game should bring them on ,i say they will win handy the next day.
    What happened brian hurley???

I wouldn't say castlehaven were lucky, they lead from the 5th minute and were never behind after that. But a fair result all the same. A real derby game with good entertainment
    Hurley had just scored a goal and next thing he was being carried off. Looked like a pulled muscle or a twisted ankle. Haven were 1-09 to 0-06 up at that stage. Ross scored the next 1-03 to level the scores before hurley returned.
    I was talking to one of the backroom team today and said Brian Hurley will be fine for the replay

• Advertisement

Another masterclass tactically in astute modern day  by mcguiness,to beat  dublin.The unbeatables ......Donegal at the start of the year were a tired team,imo with a lot of milage on the field but again MANAGEMENT,SHREWD MANAGEMENT REINVENTED DONEGAL imo.

More importantly even when they lost mchugh earlier in the year,they didnt panic.They may not be romantics but they play to.the strengths,not a dog ugly.slow,lateral couinhan 2010 style its defending.but attack with definef purpose,blistering place.
    Out of the four.teams in the semi we are miles of.each of them tactically.

Dublin will come again under Gavin,have new talent coming up,but gavin a shrewd manager will have them back next year.
    An intriguong all ireland final,imppssible call,two teams with limited individual talent but two shrewd management teams,that get every last inch out of their teams.

An impossible final to predict ,both teams imo are their soley on both managers performing wonders with old teams with limations,but have devised a plan a and b,play to their strengths,have some key weakness they limiy the exploitation of ,and have developed a huge resilence and belief in their respective managers,and who ever looses you cant blame either mabager.I heistany would slightly favour donegal ,as they will mark o donoughe out of the game,and have murphy,mcfadden poor up to now but a.huge game in him that will cause kerry full backs huge problems,ans with lacey,mcbteaty,mchugh have imo a slighty better scoring spread but i wouldnt rule out fitzmaurice pulling a rabit out of the hat.
    fitznaurice is likely to be with kerry for a number of years,if mcguniess goes bonnar seems another blueprint of mcguiness,in a modern tactaial young progressive coach.Donegal since 2010 have with limited rescources compared to cork football contested a u 21 final,minor and two senior finals,We have jusst been in one u21 final,and Donegal dont believe in we had never been in a minor all ireland,just one senior,never an.u 21 as a lazy excuse to hold them back they through hard work,innovation changed their history yet cork some in the media spout when we loose to kerry such nausing,heart wrenching stuff kerry always nearly beat Cork ,we have no right to expect and demand more.
    Cork are miles off,a top four monaghan,meath,clare with kisssne,dowd,o.rourke way better management to us.

I was right douglas won.I said it was just a matter of time before douglas made it.
    Championship is wide up.
    However youghal could be tricky,a.real dogfight on hand.
    Collins douglas manager,got it spot on.

Alan and Eoin Cadaogan,eoin to be fair had a great game on lehane ,harrington.kingston and collins and stephen moylan were good also.
    Nagle ,walsh,dowling,lehane at times with burke and when he went from half forward to full forward were best for midelton.
    Collins got a good goal but imo not intercounty standard,and imo nagle is a better hurling option for the cork hurling panel next year than eoin cadogan.

Sorry haven if i gave the wrong impression re castle haven Darragh,i suppose  i meant haven are a fine team ,but last night being the ist game for a long while,could have got them when it   was so close ,but ye will take some stopping,nemo possibly the only team to do so,if they have the dog and fight within to beat ye is the question.
    Hurley is a great boost hes fit,glad to hear it,but michael is well capable of stepping up to the mark.
    I have huge time and respect for caatlehaven football.

Seventh.,hughely concering what you say if true.I thought the rock be hes own man.
    Is dawne running the show?
    I heard some praise him while.others crticise hes management,and carrig were poor at senior under him this year but i gave him the benfit of the doubt due to Midelton cbs great dean ryan cup.win and great run to the all ireland
    U 16 hurling final loss to a super kilkenny cbs team this year.

How did ronan harrington do out of posistion at right half back?

http://www.gaacork.ie/news/304497/County_Hurling_Football_Championship_Programme

Very strange,and imo not fair on  newtowntownshandrum in the venue and day for this huge game.
    It is in pairc ur rinn ,for a quater final on a friday evening which is also a very busy time with traffic on a busy n20 that time of the eveining,at least  an hours drive for the newtown fans.

I understand a quater final wont be in mallow,fair enough.,but nearly all quater finals are in pairc u caoimh, a much better surface imo for hurling.
    Pairc u rinn would suit na piarsaigh a tighter ptich ,no where as good as the Pairc for Hurling imo, its in cork  but why not the  Pairc,either after the double header of the games on the saturday the 6th or or the day before  the other quater final on the 14th  in play it the Pairc saturday the 13th of September.
    Sunday the 7th september even around 7.30 could suffice also,people  would still get to watch the all ireland hurling final.Newtown are a fast team that would love to play in the Pairc, with the open spaces

Surely a double header on the sunday 14 also could be accomodated.Plenty of other options in fairness.
    I suppose newtowns possesion game winning a county still does not go down well with some in cork,so im sure some fans will  see nothing wrong with the venue or time in the eveining for it.Some arent fans  of sean og,or gardiner but the club play traditional cork hurling unlike Newtowns Corks Great Club the last Munster winning and all ireland Cork Club team so some would support anbody but newtownshandrum in the cork county.
    That still doesnt go down too well with some in Cork Hurling, a club that came from no where ,a  small parish,winning junior,intermediate around 98 and then a senior all ireland  club title just six or so years on while some of the big boys self destructed like cork through years of neglect,arrorgance and mushroom theories at club level,and suffered accordingly with truly dire results.

Newtown flying at the moment,in the  in  an u21 final also.
    A small club, but very much a big fish in Cork hurling today always doing work today for the future of tommorrow with limited rescources.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

I wouldn't say castlehaven were lucky, they lead from the 5th minute and were never behind after that. But a fair result all the same. A real derby game with good entertainment
    Hurley had just scored a goal and next thing he was being carried off. Looked like a pulled muscle or a twisted ankle. Haven were 1-09 to 0-06 up at that stage. Ross scored the next 1-03 to level the scores before hurley returned.
    I was talking to one of the backroom team today and said Brian Hurley will be fine for the replay

They had it won until brian got injured but without being an expert or inside knowledge I cant see him being right.obvious after the game that they in absence og hurley junior have only 2 fowards .mark collins had a great game

Cussen is out for the rest of the season with a broken finger,,but the sars definetly there for the taking,there middle third has too many players lacking pace,with the exception of daniel kearney, but ray ryan,martin ,quigley have been on the go for the last seven years and are good strong hurlers,and a dry day,pacey,team will beat them.
    Douglas or or newtown would have pace to trouble them.

I said last  sunday sarsfields would be beat the barrs but looking at both teams line if  john cremin gets the match ups right,they can win and id change my mind.
    Curran should be able to hold cian mac as currans only weakness lack of pace,wont be exposed by cian mac,curran physically and under the high ball should be well able for him,curran has the hurling and shrewdness and expierence,even eoin keane,or cahalane should be able if needed to  mark mccarthy also.
    With cussen out,no need for Keane or cahalane to  go back in from half back.

Cian walsh this year minor,hurler panelist,declined an invite to join the football,u17 winner last year with cork hurling,is a tasty corner back,and jamie burns minor footballer cork in 2010 all ireland final,is at full back and maguire at midfield,barrs have the phyiscal power to take sars on,and while they lack a spread of real scoring bar u 21 the powerful Colm Keane who could cause leahy problems,bar cian macccarthy Sars dont have it either in tadhg muphy,sullivan are not unmarkable,fraggie as fine a hurler he was ,and goal poacher,wont get a huge score now,so The Barrs i now think have a real chance of beating sarsfields once they actually believe they can win,and forget about sars reputation the last few years.
    Sars while a very good team,,as they were poor  in munster if were honest,are a team in decline,at least ten have been on the go the last seven years,very few fresh faces are in the team that  made a real difference to the team,i think there a tired team to be honest,the hunger is not the same either, but have good young hurlers from successful underage teams coming up the ranks so,wont be down for too long and pat ryan is a good manager imo.Sars winning a county is no good for cork hurling imo now,they will be beaten in munster,have no other young new player besides Conor sullivan  really pushing for cork seniors now,And a win will help Cian mac and cussen fan club convince people  their worth a cork  panel place  next year.We need new young teams in county finals that could win a munster club title,Sars imo dont currently fit the bill .

Whats great to note in the current Intermediate,senior hurling Cork Championship a lot of cork minors this or next year are playing at the top level Patrick collins,cian walsh,Shane O Brien who would be at both club and county but for a serious injury, Kingston,Dayne Lee,Eoghan Kinrery,Darren Brown,,Alan O Callaghan,Ollie DempseySean Bourke,Luke Meade,Sean Hayes,Dayne lee ,even the subs Mark Dolan,Benny Dunne,Aran Stafford,David Dooling,Evan O Connell,John Mullins,Alec Luttrell,John looney (minor game got 1-12 last week,3 points intrermediate,flying form at present)etc are all involved in interemediate or senior at their clubs and doing well.

From the u 17 certain starters next year,chris o leary,Declan dalton in goal,plays outfield for fr o neills in intermediate,and cian collins the b keeper are all starting in the  intermediate for their   clubs.If Dalton plays outfield for the minors,collins of charville will be keeper .

Glen kennefick of the Glen was on both the current  football ,hurling minor panels at the start of the  year got injured, he goal and a point in the last game.,also a goal against killeagh earlier in the championship,only played for 44 min,but the paper had him in contention man of the match,he was that good..He's got pace to burn,hence part of an gold all ireland 100m relay schools athletics team this year, and hurling to compliment it.

Shane miliner, injured is a player that would of started for the Glen and county also.All those players have either started ,our came on as subs and are flying at club level at grades above minor bound to benfit them in the future.

What is a worry is of all the teams at senior left,none are playing natural full backs that could solve our intercounty problem.
    Cahalane,keane is being played at half back for the barrs,during games.
    Leahy of sars ,is not intercounty standard ,nor is fallon of newtown,fine hurlers at club though.
    If cadogan goes in there for douglas he is not the answer for Cork.
    Macsweeney or lucey of douglas are just club full backs imo.
    Tobin is very good for ballymartle,but again fine at club level.
    Mideltion dont have a natural full back for intercounty,Burke is a fine hurler,i hope they dont use him as a full back.
    Blackrock had aherne.Eirns own had cronin.
    Bishopstown finally moved shane o neill out,and put in  tough ,solid colm o driscoll is,is not an answer for Cork.However as he is a cork footballer,jbm quite possibly could look at him.He likes,Cork Footballers with a bit of toughness,cads,collins,walsh,cahalane etc.

Its a huge concern in cork hurling the lack of top quaitly full backs at senior with intercounty potential.
    Colm spillane is being played as a forward for castlelyons.
    Next year ,huge problems to solve.
    The like of Gunning,ian cahill,michael macsweeney ,possibly andrew murphy are being groomed at club ,but will take time to come through.
    Gunning hopefully get a start corner back at senior for club,and that will help him ,besides darren mannix,a great man to learn from,like the rock learning from john browne with cork as a raw 19 year old captain cork in 98 league final when the rock played corner back.
    Shane o neill was in 2012 reardens full back on team of the year,tells it own story,problem hasnt gone away.

There is huge young talent in Cork but its vital in 2015,this time next year we appoint the right guy at U21 level to lead us in 2016 when these players will be peaking for .To do that ,the Cork media in the lead up,and delegates must demand to know when the job exactly is up,and who is in contention,unlike last year have a list of names in advance to debate.Teddy macarthy was very much in the running for it last years.It shows the real job for the boys, Cork county board truly awful  shambolic school of management policy .

The championship  is wide open now and full of life,id fancy now a newtown douglas final  ,but ballymartle are dark horses with  County wiinng coach crowley wit them ,their a spirted team in every way ,na piarsagh if they beat newtonshandrum also a dark horse.

Where did I say the U-16s were 'awful' and that their result 'had huge significance'...?

Once again your comprehension skills are pitiful, and your ability to misunderstand or misread what I say is deeply irritating.

keep going wrote: »
    They had it won until brian got injured but without being an expert or inside knowledge I cant see him being right.obvious after the game that they in absence og hurley junior have only 2 fowards .mark collins had a great game

Yeah. I would have said Brian Hurley wouldn't be playing any game for a while when I saw him after the game, but like yourself, I wouldn't know the ins and outs of the injury.

Your response to the u.16 defeat
    Our U-16A's well beaten by Laois, out of the tournament. Doesn't bode well for the Minors next year.
    Again the u.16s have little relevance to next years minor team

You also said limerick would beat our minor easily this year,lack of talent.i have no problem,a team.being.criticsed but valid critisims,you seem to have this myth,that corks.underage failure is mainly down to a lack of playing talent imo that is not correct.

cheers good man hope this helps.what find amusing is your one line.critisims of teams you dont even.watch,and if a player is from castlematyr and hes performance is critised,you aint a happy camper.

With horan gone,Cork should try.and get Ed coughlan home,and involved as part of a selection team.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/tommy-draws-short-straw-as-dubs-deny-cats-a-double-284308.html

Interseting dublin won but were pushed all the way by kilkenny in the final but kilkemny had a much stronger side in their ist game v cork,yet cork pushed them all the way.,to loose by a point,beat tipp,lost to laois and a lot of kilkenny sides are expected in two years to play minor.
    The good news is the selection issues that seventh said cost cork,will be unlikely now again as these guys unlike minors and y 21 teams dont be stuck for two years under the same management but move along now to u 17 camps,under fergal ryan mallow,more importantantly though fergal condon though with ring and landers overseeing them also.
    Very dissapointing ,no coverage of the u 15 or u 17 tournaments in the paper,u 17 was only in mallow.in fairness,hopefully the echo gave both winning teams the coverage they deserve,the u 14 tourament got a report also in the paper.

• Advertisement

Your response to the u.16 defeat

You also said limerick would beat our minor easily this year,lack of talent.i have no problem,a team.being.criticsed but valid critisims,you seem to have this myth,that corks.underage failure is mainly down to a lack of playing talent imo that is not correct.

cheers good man hope this helps.what find amusing is your one line.critisims of teams you dont even.watch,and if a player is from castlematyr and hes performance is critised,you aint a happy camper.

There is plenty of talent in Cork have no doubt. there is no reason why other counties produce better underage players. The all live on the same Island have the same influences and envirnoment therefore they are equal in all aspects. Similar coaching is given country wide as the Gaa develops a common coaching stratgey. One of the key issues in Cork is the divide between the city and the county. Call a spade a spade its the east cork myth vs logic. 4 players from city clubs made the A panel if you take out ballincollig then it falls to 2. Make no mistake its not possible that there are only two players playing on city teams which are capable of making a Cork A panel. It does not add up. Why are clubs not putting forward players. they find the setup determintal and feel it destroys kids. They also feel the underage program is influencable and open to manipulatation. it looks like a jobs for the boys situation at times. we need to overcome the parocahalism are re-establish the pride the kids and the clubs felt when putting players forward. The structure is not the problem its the interested parties working the structure.

Except that a large amount of those U-16s will be on the Minor panel last year. And nowhere in that quote did I say anything about 'huge significance', in other words you just put words in my mouth.
    You also said limerick would beat our minor easily this year,lack of talent.

Lies, find me the quote because I didn't say that.

WTF does C'Martyr have to do with anything? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

seventh7 wrote: »
    There is plenty of talent in Cork have no doubt. there is no reason why other counties produce better underage players. The all live on the same Island have the same influences and envirnoment therefore they are equal in all aspects. Similar coaching is given country wide as the Gaa develops a common coaching stratgey. One of the key issues in Cork is the divide between the city and the county. Call a spade a spade its the east cork myth vs logic. 4 players from city clubs made the A panel if you take out ballincollig then it falls to 2. Make no mistake its not possible that there are only two players playing on city teams which are capable of making a Cork A panel. It does not add up. Why are clubs not putting forward players. they find the setup determintal and feel it destroys kids. They also feel the underage program is influencable and open to manipulatation. it looks like a jobs for the boys situation at times. we need to overcome the parocahalism are re-establish the pride the kids and the clubs felt when putting players forward. The structure is not the problem its the interested parties working the structure.

You are bang on about the continued under representation form strong city clubs in the development squads, What appears to be happening is that the U14 development squads are picked on the inter divisional competition and Imokilly are way more organised and win it with ease most yrs and city sides are a total mess. Most yrs the city club teams are more often than not at the business end of the championships with tiny representation on the development squads. Add in big amount of Imokilly involvement in the management of the development squads and the thing is a bit of a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

Limerick did comprehensively out play the Cork minors. A late scoring burst put a v false look on the score board. I happen to think that Cork haven't been successful because the players haven't been good enough. Last yrs massively vaunted side had a v poor defense for instance.

The kids are there have no doubt. This Aherne kid is a prime example of the issue. Good enough to anchor a premier 1 minor championship side. when he was protected by the club before the county premier 1 u16 final and not started Na Parsaigh went out of the minor Championship. This is fact. He must have serious motivation to kick his heels in a b squad. How long will that last. Another hugely impressive player from Blackrock Ross Coleman, tenacious dogged can't even make a B squad and was only used as cover. Nathan Walsh Douglas my club, huge potential another with huge drive and determination. Get the attitude right make them proud to pull on the jersey the real warriors are out there give them the chance.

No i have to dissagree wille,Cork played a huge part in the game,and unlike limerick who had just ronan lynch injured prior to it with a hand injury,Cork had.casey and o.brien,two huge losses early on,unlike limerick had lads playing games the sat,sunday and monday up to the thursday,limerick  had a full day saturday with an exercise as team bonding,training a v b game in undisclosed closed door session,
    Then at ul,recovery session combined with touch and skill training,so it was a superb performance,two super goals against all the odds by cork against a truly exceptional outfit.

Limerick via captain and manager publicy said cork pushed them all the way.

Your.right last year,the defence w
    as a shambles ,but we had a o.connor a full back at centre,he.doesnt play their for mallow,had twomey our centre back,excelling now for newtown their at senior,u 21,playing out of position,a guy playing corner,brought in from the cold.Thats why it was shambles
    But who picked the team wille????
    Not the players,but pat kenneally,who like i said he would then and then at u 21 this year made woeful tactial errors,this much vaunted minor team lost due to management.nothing else,sean hayes outstanding again u 21 last week again couldnt even get a start under him.

The cork u 15 sidan walsh,greg healy,sean walsh ,,,,ben keohane brian buckley,u 14 luke o donobsn,tommy o connell,declan hannon,ronan sheehan,liam ryan,shane curtin ,u16 barry kenneally,jeremy saich,josh beausang,patrick glesson,killan tracey,ben murphy and at u 17 billy dunne,michael o halloran,declan dalton and robbie o flynn ,were mentioned in tonights echo as being very impressive in each of their respective teams the weekend.

Trevor horgan a fine player,could be out for a good while,he discolated hes shoulder hurling with newecstown i heard today.
    I wish him the best and a speedy recovery,a dual player for cork ,at minor superb for hamilton in last years harty cup.
    Donegal and kerry at both minor and senior football ,further underlined how management is key to any teams success.

http://www.gaacork.ie/news/289345/County_Championships_Inter_Divisional_Draws_2014

The u 21 county final imo could be between blackrock and newtownshandrum imo.
    Trevor horgan is a savage loss to newesctowns chances,the intermediate hurling,and senior footballers v clyda in the replay in senior football the weekend.

Dromina beat neighbours yesterday newtown in the avondu junior final ,credit due,and diarmiud buckley cork minor played with Dromina but plays underage and could win a county title with newtown,as both clubs combine at that level.
    Andrew shaugnessy credit due is 41 yet playing superb.
    Dromina,only relegated from ten years as an intermediate club last year will be a serious opponet for anyone.
    A great game tommorrow night in mallow ,charville v denis ring coached fermoy avondu u 21 semi final with the winners v newtown in the final.
    Fermoy have a lot of their intermediates involved with charveille having a few also involved.

Any body hear anything regards Glen rovers bishopstown mass brawl at senior,it seems all hush hush,no more about it,the disciplnary meeting was meant to be last friday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭oldfella

was at the junior fnal..have newtown any player that could make a diff at senior
    level i dont think they have..

http://www.eveningecho.ie/2014/09/01/96-week-touchline-ban-u16-mentor/

Interesting with two huge clubs will.the same precdent follow the glen bishoptown senior hurling game

• Advertisement

Eric o connor and u21 jc couhglan will be bankers imo for senior
    Wasnt at that match but seen the lads play before.

Who else stood out please ?,i hear ballyhea was packed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement